Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4171084 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #39240 on: July 15, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
Glass tries to do too much with too little. I wish he would have been more restrained in Glass like Split.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Quaker

« Reply #39242 on: July 16, 2021, 02:23:30 AM »
Hard to blame them. Warner distributed The Nice Guys, Live by Night, Gangster Squad and Inherent Vice in the last 10 years and discovered no one really gives a shit about those types of movies. Plus Crowe and Pearce are the opposite of box-office draws nowadays.

Looks like that money was much better spent on their Perry Mason HBO reboot which had some buzz around it.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39243 on: July 16, 2021, 02:36:01 AM »
Nice Guys and Inherent Vice were great

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39244 on: July 16, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
I liked Pig, but my head-canon is that it's in the John-Wick-verse otherwise I think it might have felt too pretentious. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39245 on: July 18, 2021, 08:30:02 AM »
Fear Street 1994 - Was fine. Hope the other two are more interesting. Was kind of surprised with some of the gore/swearing since I never read the books but thought they were for early teens.

Watched these back to back, because an actual specific and intended from the start film trilogy is kind of rare, and they're... pretty good.
Like you say, they're surprisingly not YA for the work of someone who I think was the writer of Goosebumps?

Pretty good soundtrack (or at least the opening riffs for a bunch of pretty good 90S KID songs, and way more fucking authentic in their choices than LOOK AT ME IM IN THE 90S Captain Marvel was) too.

The pay off was pretty good too; I was wondering how they were going to deal with Salem Witch Trial type stuff when they've made it abundantly clear that yeah, there actually is a fucking witch and yeah, they are actually a supernatural evil, but they pulled that off too, so kudos on that.

I'm kind of surprised they skipped the 80s, because the metatextual choice of year for each episode was pretty fucking good, but I guess at this point 80s retro is pretty played out, and 90s was a much better fit, as you have the post-modernism of Scream and Not-Ghostface, as well as a gallery of famous slashers who were still trucking along to draw from.

Quaker

« Reply #39246 on: July 18, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
I liked Pig, but my head-canon is that it's in the John-Wick-verse otherwise I think it might have felt too pretentious.
Yeah, this was surprisingly thoughtful and well shot. I appreciated that it doesn’t jerk you around too much. People going in expecting John Wick are going to be disappointed. It has no action and Cage is actually pretty restrained. Very well done B movie though.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39247 on: July 18, 2021, 10:19:18 PM »
I liked Quiet Place part 2 and look forward to the 3rd.  Really the series feels like Signs but done better.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39248 on: July 18, 2021, 10:45:32 PM »
not sure if there's an alien invasion movie I haven't enjoyed. they're really just monster movies, but thing coming from space makes it more interesting for no real reason  :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39249 on: July 18, 2021, 11:38:36 PM »
I thought it was just going to be a meme film, but it was actually good.
It was a bit of a fairytale, with cartoon characters as archetypes and surreal sequences between the comical and the poignant.
I don't care about "pretentious", people call anything pretentious nowadays, the movie was tongue in cheek and played with its silly premise well.

On the other hand John Wick it's starting to take its cretin lore too seriously, in the last two entries.

It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was better than i was expecting, and Cage gave a genuinely good performance.
It didn't try to do too much and it worked better for it.

Anyway, if you liked it, you may like the non-Gomorrah "realistic" Garrone films, like The Embalmer and Dogman.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39250 on: July 19, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
Pig (2021)

What I expected:

What I got:
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39251 on: July 19, 2021, 12:52:36 PM »
Other stuff I watched this weekend

Fear Street Part 3: 1666 - Great ending to the series; it tied everything together and delivered a satisfying conclusion.
Space Jam: A New Beginning - lol no
Sputnik - A Russian horror movie about a cosmonaut that returns to Earth carrying an alien parasite. It was dece.
The Empty Man - A tasty slice of cosmic horror about an ex-cop that's investigating a New Age cult that's at the center of a series of disappearances and suicides. A lot better than it was given credit for when it was dumped into empty theaters late last year
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #39252 on: July 20, 2021, 04:01:57 AM »
Just watched Scott Pilgrim in the 4k HDR BD. I hadn't seen the movie since seeing it in theaters and I was kinda so-so on it at the time in 2010. The internet hyped it through the roof and I think it didn't live up to the hype and some of the game stuff felt pretty cheesy.

Watching it now with no pretensions...I really liked it. Would need to re-watch Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz to compare best Edgar Wright films, but this was pretty great and the cast, especially now with everyone having gone on to bigger stuff, is a pretty amazing ensemble. The movie is also funny af and it's easily Michael Cera's best role. Good stuff. The 4k BD also looks amazing with all the colors and 1:85 aspect ratio with tons of detail.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39253 on: July 20, 2021, 04:19:13 AM »
I saw it in the cinema without any exposure to the source material whatsoever outside of superficial GAF discussion. Loved it. Great film.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #39254 on: July 20, 2021, 05:18:38 AM »
I think one issue I had with the film at the time and it's still kinda lol but it doesn't bother me now that I'm older is that Michael Cera is not a very good looking guy and Scott Pilgrim as a character is a total loser yet it's supposed to be believable that his ex is Brie-Larison, he dated Alison Pill and that Winstead who is like dream pixie girl in this would be interested in this guy? The romance was so unbelievable (as opposed to like Eternal Sunshine) that it took me out of it and I was probably just kinda jealous.

Now I just think it's lol and don't really think past it.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39255 on: July 20, 2021, 05:57:53 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39256 on: July 21, 2021, 03:29:19 PM »
I think one issue I had with the film at the time and it's still kinda lol but it doesn't bother me now that I'm older is that Michael Cera is not a very good looking guy and Scott Pilgrim as a character is a total loser yet it's supposed to be believable that his ex is Brie-Larison, he dated Alison Pill and that Winstead who is like dream pixie girl in this would be interested in this guy? The romance was so unbelievable (as opposed to like Eternal Sunshine) that it took me out of it and I was probably just kinda jealous.

Now I just think it's lol and don't really think past it.
He has a really large penis (and therefore, big dick energy).

Bebpo

« Reply #39257 on: July 21, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
Between Stillwater and the trailer for Ridley Scott's The Duel Matt Damon definitely is looking older & heavier these days. Affleck definitely aging better between them.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39258 on: July 22, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »

Hot damn that looks good

paprikastaude

« Reply #39259 on: July 22, 2021, 01:03:03 PM »
Not a fan of the main actor after watching The King.  :-\

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39260 on: July 22, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
Watched Guns Akimbo or you might recognise it as Harry Pistolhands.

It had its moments, but overall played it a little too straight - really should have just dialled the crazy up to 11 a lá Crank to make the most out of its premise, even though it kept having things like voiceovers and cutaways acknowledging how stupid the idea is, they still shyed clear of fully embracing it.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39261 on: July 22, 2021, 06:22:51 PM »
DUNC looks so fucking bland.  :-\
And those comedy quips.  :yuck

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #39262 on: July 22, 2021, 06:53:03 PM »
there's a single quip. get a grip man, it's there to ground the characters and their relationship not bring the house down
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #39263 on: July 22, 2021, 07:32:31 PM »
if the film is rife with this stuff, i'll eat crow but it won't be. can't imagine seeing the visual serve in that trailer and thinking "bland" -_-

stark, maybe even overly considered and a little on the nose in their contrast between caladan and arrakis but bland. i cannot relate. it's like saying stalker or children of men is bland. it's a trailer where they're cherry picking shots that convey the themes of the film.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39264 on: July 22, 2021, 10:20:05 PM »
I do, i think they look bland and uninspired.
I thought so after the first trailer, and this one looks a bit better (a couple of interesting shots) but more or less gives me the same feeling.

Maybe i look at too much concept art, but really many of those designs screamed "commercial concept art" so hard, I could feel Feng Zhu's breathing on my neck.  :-*

I have no issue with a movie avoiding more garish decorations or using a cleaner visual language, but minimalism and brutalism are used a lot as crutches in my opinion, and they aren't substitutes for interesting design, of which i'm not seeing a lot of here.

Also of course we're talking first impressions, before someone blasts me about not having seen it yet.
I was very hyped for this, prior to seeing the trailer, so i do want to like it.

Bebpo

« Reply #39265 on: July 24, 2021, 03:00:40 AM »
Werewolves Within - Cute harmless popcorn movie. Has a few laughs and main guy is likable enough. Doesn't really strive for anything great.

There's way too many 3/4 "fine" movies in the world. I'd say most positive RT movies fall into this category. They're all fine for popcorn entertainment but there's really no reason to watch them unless you're a fan/interested in the story/setting/genre/actors/directors/etc...

Quaker

« Reply #39266 on: July 26, 2021, 01:37:14 AM »
I thought it was pretty good. Like a mix of Game Night and Knives Out, but with a lower profile/smaller budget. The main guy was my favorite part of Veep and I'm a simp for the AT&T girl though.
...there's really no reason to watch them unless you're a fan/interested in the story/setting/genre/actors/directors/etc...
...what other criteria would there be for watching something? And how would you actually know whether you would like something without watching it?

You can't expect everything to be GoodFellas and as someone who usually watches a dozen+ Criterion-type prestige movies/month, shit's exhausting and even those are hit or miss.

Half-assed, cynical commercial movies like the last Godzilla, Black Widow, Space Jam, Army of the Dead are way more disheartening.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39267 on: July 26, 2021, 02:09:05 PM »
Old (2021)

Bad, dumb, not fun. I wanted to like it, there just wasn't enough meat on this bone. They go to a beach, the get old really fast, that's the whole movie. Shymalan doesn't do anything interesting with the premise. He tries to end with a message about the fragility of human life or whatever, but then he mucks that up too with a dumb twist that just creates more plotholes that it solves. The Visit remains M Night's best movie.

Other stuff I watched this weekend:
Werewolves Within - Decent fun.
A Classic Horror Story - A trope-y meta horror movie that tries too hard to be Cabin in the Woods, and doesn't quite get there.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #39268 on: July 26, 2021, 06:46:02 PM »
Watched Dark City, The Walker and that new John Wick pastiche with a content warning Gunpowder Milkshake over the weekend.

Dark City is great, incredible production design and atmosphere. Characters are pretty shallow and the enemies do this weird camp hellraiser thing, but i was digging it. The Walker was confusing and weird, Woody and the crew were fun to watch, but Schrader was not on top form here. Gunpowder Milkshake was a mess all round. Really liked Karen Gillan, and it had some really fun scenes but they lift so much from Wick it's a little embarrassing how poorly they pulled it off. John Wicks world building is beauty in it's simplicity, it's barely functional but pulls it off beautifully, scenes flow, and compared to this the film feels sublime. Milkshake was trying to take influence from a host of different action movies and ham fist it into a formula almost beat for beat following Wick, complete with assassin safehouses and quirky armorys but dialing up the whimsical, absurd edge that detracted from the mostly very good performances. Hospital scene was sick, and the setup was fine. Could've been a decent movie, but I ended up feeling annoyed and bored
◕‿◕

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #39269 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »

Great film. Kept putting off watching it until a couple days ago. Amazing acting from every role, great music score, well shot etc. One of the strangest "romance" movies I've seen. Fascinating, thrilling, and painful film about obsession and love. Possession. Really liked it.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39270 on: July 27, 2021, 08:07:32 PM »
Agreed.  I remember hearing about it and kind of being dismissive of DDL ending his career with a romantic drama.  Then when I finally watched it I got it.  Such a delightfully twisted couple those two are, and what a beautiful movie to watch as well.

Quaker

« Reply #39271 on: July 27, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »
Now watch Age of Innocence.

Bebpo

« Reply #39272 on: July 27, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »
The soundtrack is really good

naff

« Reply #39273 on: July 27, 2021, 09:20:03 PM »
Old (2021)

Bad, dumb, not fun. I wanted to like it, there just wasn't enough meat on this bone. They go to a beach, the get old really fast, that's the whole movie. Shymalan doesn't do anything interesting with the premise. He tries to end with a message about the fragility of human life or whatever, but then he mucks that up too with a dumb twist that just creates more plotholes that it solves. The Visit remains M Night's best movie.

I ended up enjoying this, it was formally quite strong. Great visual language, boring script that falls into the Shyamalan trap of overexplaining everything. Mid sized sedan was a good joke  :lol I think I was just the right amount of drunk.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #39274 on: July 28, 2021, 02:16:59 AM »
Fuck, just saw the news that Bob Odenkirk collapsed and is in the hospital.

Dude is only 59 and he is awesome. This sucks so much.

https://twitter.com/davidcrosss/status/1420248776552423427

Sounds bad :\

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39275 on: July 28, 2021, 03:42:20 AM »
Stay strong bob :stahp
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39276 on: July 28, 2021, 05:58:57 AM »
Shiiiiiitttt. Hope he is OK
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39277 on: July 28, 2021, 09:18:31 AM »
 Dude just got into massive shape too.  Nobody was really good.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39278 on: July 28, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »
Watched Jolt, which unfortunately was Shit.

It obviously wants you to think its going to be Crank x Atomic Blonde, but its more like a hyper-violent Ally McBeal for like the first hour, because its just her imagining beating the shit out of randos who make her mad before hitting her panic button and everythings fine back to the film, then a not very compelling 'real' action movie when the man shes literally been on one date with dies, with boring fight scenes, and then a lame not very twisty twist. Plus its so laden down with exposition you'd think its a superhero origin film from the early 2000s.

Just not good. Even if you're a fan of Kate Beckinsale, who's so laden with makeup or botox or some fucking hollywood face-fix app or something I pretty much had face blindness.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39279 on: July 28, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »

Really drives home the dangers of getting in shape.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #39281 on: July 28, 2021, 01:54:20 PM »

Although getting in Hollywood regiment speed shape for maybe the first time in your late 50s might put a lot of strain on your body, idk.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39282 on: July 28, 2021, 02:00:00 PM »
The reviews have got me hyped to see Green Knight this weekend. :bow kino :bow2

Also wanna watch The Boy Behind the Door, it should be coming to Shudder this weekend.

©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #39283 on: July 28, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
Yeah, I really wanna see The Green Knight. Damn you A24 for being a jerk about streaming platforms. May actually drag myself to a theater during a pandemic to see this.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39284 on: July 28, 2021, 03:09:22 PM »
Ya I want to see it too, but it's not at my regular theater and they are still 50% capacity and require masks.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #39285 on: July 28, 2021, 03:44:02 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39286 on: July 28, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

Hey, "getting in shape" and "getting in shape fast for a Hollywood movie" are two different things. :ufup

-

50% formulaic A24 artsy horror, 50% cute comedy, i'm intrigued.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39287 on: July 28, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »
Seems like Odenkirk woke up and is "ok".
Some heart related thing (maybe a stroke for the heat/stress? Since they were shooting in New Mexico in the middle of summer, i can't imagine it being chill).

Anyway, hope the worse is behind him.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39288 on: July 29, 2021, 06:34:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1420517903456165891

He actually had a heart attack  :fbm

Get well soon bob  :heart
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39289 on: July 29, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
Was it a heart attack or a "Heart-Related Incident"?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #39290 on: July 29, 2021, 03:30:58 PM »
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #39291 on: July 29, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
On one hand if she was supposed to get a % of BO for her first (and only) LEADING Marvel film and she got nothing from the 50% of BO that came from $30 D+ premium purchases, that's fucked and they should pay her.

Otoh I really don't want things to scare these companies from releasing Day 1 streaming because I'd much rather watch shit safely at home than go to a theater during a fucking pandemic.

Like apparently Kranski/Blunt are suing Paramount because of the 45-day window for Quiet Place II. Like c'mon son, 45 days is plenty. By day 45 anyone that was going to see the movie in theaters will have seen it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39292 on: July 29, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »
I honestly find it really hard to sympathize with super-rich actors on this issue even when it seems like they are obviously getting fucked over. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39293 on: July 29, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »
I honestly find it really hard to sympathize with super-rich actors on this issue even when it seems like they are obviously getting fucked over.

On the other side though you have super ultra mega rich turbo conglomerate pulling all kinds of shady financial shell games so that it turns out they not only didnt make a penny, they actually lost money, so not only won't pay any tax but actually deserve a rebate, because they definitely wrote down those D+ purchases as hotel ppv rentals or some shit

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39294 on: July 29, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »
Ya, it's super-rich companies fucking over super-rich individuals, but consumers also get something good out of this, which offsets the former issue. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39295 on: July 29, 2021, 07:29:53 PM »
Ticket sales steeply declined in subsequent weeks and currently stand at $319 million globally, putting “Black Widow” on track to become one of the lowest-grossing Marvel movies of all time.

Only $60 million on Disney Plus with a $30 price tag? Mulan did ~$300 million within 8 days of streaming.

The bubble has burst, there's just not that much interest in this film.
There's over 100 million Disney+ subscribers so just 2% bought this. oof.

The Black Widow film should've been released ~5 years ago before or after Civil War came out.

I think Disney is in for a rough year between COVID hitting the theme parks and bombs like these.
Square Enix is about to poke out the eyes of the Guardians of the Galaxy fandom too with that shitty game they're making.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:34:35 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39296 on: July 29, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »
Who the fuck would pay 30$ for a digital movie you'll never watch again? Besides, MCU had their climax with Endgame no? I think it's reasonable for fatigue to be setting in (one can hope) but we'll see how Eternals and Shang Chi will do.
I mean we're already dredging up C-tier supes nobody ever heard of, next we're gonna get a X-Force vs Excalibur or whatever.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's time for Cameron to swoop in and deliver the final blow.  ;)
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #39297 on: July 29, 2021, 10:45:01 PM »
Who the fuck would pay 30$ for a digital movie you'll never watch again? Besides, MCU had their climax with Endgame no? I think it's reasonable for fatigue to be setting in (one can hope) but we'll see how Eternals and Shang Chi will do.
I mean we're already dredging up C-tier supes nobody ever heard of, next we're gonna get a X-Force vs Excalibur or whatever.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's time for Cameron to swoop in and deliver the final blow.  ;)
[close]

I mean for households of 2 or more it's worth it. By me a theater is $18/person for a ticket.

For 1 person it's pricey for sure.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39298 on: July 29, 2021, 11:30:41 PM »
At a theater you're paying for more than just the movie though.
The whole infrastructure is provided for you, and it has costs.

From the consumer POV it may not matter, but then what is even the point of overpaying a movie just because it's brand new? Movies have a virtually endless shelf-life (unlike videogames).
You can watch Apocalypse Now today and it's still mind blowing, you can watch 12 Angry Men, from the 50's, and it's still as great a watch.

I can see it in the case of someone doing a movie night with a larger group of friends, the zeitgeist kinds of plays a bigger role in that setting.
But you know, with COVID still going, i'm not sure how much of a thing that is for most.

Bebpo

« Reply #39299 on: July 30, 2021, 12:15:28 AM »
I think you're missing out on everyone online watching the latest Marvel flick and if you wait 3 months to watch it you're missing out, behind the times and will have the whole thing spoiled.

For non-comic book stuff yeah it doesn't matter.

I will pay $30 for Shang-Chi.