Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178372 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40981 on: August 10, 2022, 05:58:13 AM »
https://fortune.com/2022/08/09/top-gun-maverick-sails-past-titanic-at-the-all-time-domestic-box-office-raking-in-662-million/

(Image removed from quote.)
It's amazing what releasing a film into a vacuum can do for your bottom line. Maverick was a pretty shit film, but just got at the right time to soak up the cash from cinema-starved audiences.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40982 on: August 10, 2022, 10:09:06 PM »
I was at dinner and someone brough up the grey man.

and everyone was like "yea we all fell asleep".

fuck netflix for making my man ryan gosling a snorefest.

Bebpo

« Reply #40983 on: August 11, 2022, 12:54:49 AM »

Incredibly disappointing. The first two acts are good, well paced, lots of intrigue leaving you on the edge of your seat...and then the finale just shits the bed. Which is frustrating as fuck because it really nailed what it was trying to do/say about different forms of misogyny without feeling preachy, and then the ending just kinda hits you with a shovel in the face in the weirdest way imaginable lol.

Ok, so I just watched Men.
I went in completely blind. Never seen a trailer, hadn't read anything on it. Just new it was Alex Garland's latest flick and reviews were mixed.

Uhhhh, this movie is too weird/ambiguous for even my tastes. Jessie Buckley was good, but like even though I get the concepts of the movie (though probably too blunt) I also feel like I have no idea what actually literally happened in the movie's logic/universe.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Like her husband James isn't REAL, because he's DEAD. But there's blood streaks to the door when her friend comes in the morning. So either the movie is supernatural, or while she was processing her feelings she like...murdered the owner of the B&B or something? I feel like it'd have made more sense if her friend comes and there's no blood streaks and it was all in her head.

Throughout the film it felt like it was going for a Jacob's Ladder kind of thing. Wasn't sure if she was in hell or something.
[close]

I really liked Ex Machina, loved Devs, but I didn't like Annihilation (which tbf Garland didn't write since it was a book adaptation) and I didn't like Annihilation for pretty much the same reasons by the end of just too vague and conceptually and not concrete of what actually is going on in the ending.

It's like there's two types of Garland films/shows. You have the weird but structurally grounded and coherent films (Ex Machina/Devs) and then the conceptual films that aren't particularly grounded or coherent and are "up to the audience". I really like when Garland does the former, but don't really enjoy the latter.

Also I'm really dense and for like 2/3rds of the movie I thought this was a Leprechaun film  :lol

*edit* reading critic takes on the ending and this quote is something I found relatable:

Yeah, this is one of those movies that’s ambiguous at its own expense. This ambiguous ending could mean so many things, it kind of means nothing at all.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:15:07 AM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40984 on: August 14, 2022, 10:40:57 PM »

:dead  this looks great

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #40985 on: August 15, 2022, 04:48:47 PM »
Maybe the HBO Max stuff was really exaggerated, looks like the Dune series is still a go

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1559256511255220224

Tasty

« Reply #40986 on: August 15, 2022, 09:55:26 PM »
Casey Bloys basically got a promotion, the handwringing about HBO was always nonsense.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40987 on: August 15, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
Think they might bring in the Honored Matres?  It is an HBO show, after all….  :whew

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40988 on: August 16, 2022, 04:27:56 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40989 on: August 16, 2022, 09:50:23 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #40990 on: August 17, 2022, 12:49:07 AM »
Days of Heaven was a strange film. Not sure what I think about it yet. Very different film from Badlands.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40991 on: August 17, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »
Days of Heaven was a strange film. Not sure what I think about it yet. Very different film from Badlands.

Yeah I'm not sure what I make of it.
Beautiful to look at, though.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #40992 on: August 17, 2022, 12:05:47 PM »

Yeah I'm not sure what I make of it.
Beautiful to look at, though.

Yeah, interesting to read up on the troubled production. From Malick not liking the dailies after two weeks and tossing the script and improvising and letting the actors improvise and just shooting a ton and hoping to find the movie in the editing room to two years of editing before the finished product.

Like...it shows. But also it doesn't feel like a mess and works. But I feel like you can see some of that lack of cohesiveness as things just kind of jumps around. Also there's an essay by Néstor Almendros about how they basically filmed the whole movie with natural lighting for a realistic look (though overblown and muted because of exposure during the day). You can see it in the visuals, it's not a very tack sharp nice looking image quality movie. I wonder if they do a new 4k restoration at some point if it will actually look dramatically better or if there's not much more you can do with the source. Like Badlands recent 4k restoration looks amazing but it used normal film studio lighting for clear shots.

Also I don't think Richard Gere was that great. I feel like Brooke Adams and Sam Shepard carried it. Linda Manz was just a weird looking/sounding kid and Richard Gere in one of his first major film roles just seemed kinda of all over the place.

One thing that's different from Badlands is that Badlands followed very enjoyable leads with Martin Sheen/Sissy Spacek. It was also a tighter script that still had the poetic artsyness of Malick but grounded it in a more standard scenario which is very unlike the rest of Malick's career. Days of Heaven is more just floating through natural life with some story in the center but it's more about the world and life around it, which is more the usual Malick though it's not overly abstract like some his later career.

Which is all good, just without any characters like Sheen/Spacek to anchor it, it's less engaging (though still entertaining). I read a take that said since the movie is seen through Linda Manz character, the whole movie is purposely distant with just seeing snippets of the main characters and not fully developing them. Which sounds about right.

Definitely was a good movie and was entertaining, but probably would need to give it another watch to figure out if I really liked it. I think I just don't like Richard Gere in general much and with a better lead I'd probably have liked the movie more.

Also the epilogue stuff felt a bit derivative of Badlands

Gere's whole living in the forest with his girl on the run from cops and then they show up and he chases them around the fields with a shotgun
[close]

Like I think maybe the movie's better without the epilogue going on and on. The epilogue doesn't even make much sense to me.

So the house caretaker doesn't trust Gere/Adams and thinks they're running a con. The owner is stabbed to death and they take off. The caretaker gets the police and goes after them and kills Gere...but then they don't arrest Adams and she still gets to inherit the money and be free and rich? Seems sus.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40993 on: August 17, 2022, 06:09:26 PM »
It's a lot more contemplative and meandering. I don't rate it as high as Badlands either. Don't remember what happened in that film. Some memories of all those nice harvest shots with the house in the frame.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #40994 on: August 17, 2022, 07:23:42 PM »
TIL that Wong Kar-Wai has been fucking up all his films George Lucas style. I missed this controversy when the World of WKW Box came out a few years ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/kg4oxj/wong_kar_wai_restoration_comparisons/

Color-grade changes to all his films, aspect ratio changes and cropping, In the Mood for Love now takes place in the Matrix canon.

There's also an interview where he basically says if he made these movies now they would look like this.
but what happens if you were a better director in the past than currently?
A lot less excited for the 4K BD releases now...WKW is one of my favorite directors of all time. Kinda sad he's doing this.

It also kind of shits on Christopher Doyle's cinematography when he does this post-mortem on his own.

I have the old BDs for Chungking and In the Mood for Love at least. But don't have BDs for any of his other flicks. Just old DVDs.

Bebpo

« Reply #40995 on: August 18, 2022, 12:40:43 AM »
Watching the supplemental stuff on Days of Heaven. Malick's kind of yolo directing style was pretty terrible for fire safety and dude just got lucky.

Badlands - When burning down house, overburned/exploded it and one crew member almost died and was hospitalized
Days of Heaven - For fire scenes, they had terrible control/no control over the fire and only didn't die when surrounded by fire because some people rescued them and got them through

It's like...did not learn anything from the first film  :(

Also it's pretty hilarious watching these interviews with all these stories of people talking about Terrence Malick just kinda doing his own thing and everyone getting annoyed but in the end it works out for the final film, so everyone is ok with it (except the people that quit mid-shoot).

Bebpo

« Reply #40996 on: August 18, 2022, 01:12:51 AM »
Casey Bloys basically got a promotion, the handwringing about HBO was always nonsense.

https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1560089854922280960

Tasty

« Reply #40997 on: August 18, 2022, 01:55:23 AM »
That is really unfortunate.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40998 on: August 18, 2022, 03:43:09 AM »
Wolfgang Petersen has passed away

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1559606735672713216
RIP legend

The extended directors cut of Das Boot is so good :lawd
🤴

Coax

« Reply #40999 on: August 18, 2022, 03:59:49 AM »
TIL that Wong Kar-Wai has been fucking up all his films George Lucas style. I missed this controversy when the World of WKW Box came out a few years ago.

Interesting. I blind-bought and watched In the Mood for Love in Ultra HD (German release, since it preserved the grain more) recently, where blind = hadn't watched any clips but had looked at some comparison screencaps to the French Ultra HD release and what I now realize was the 2021 Criterion BD release.

Surprised to see after the fact that the earlier Criterion had a different grade. Enjoyed the film but yeah usually not a fan of revisionism (re-framing is something different since unless there are film prints to compare to it's sometimes unclear what the original theatrical framing actually was vs just early home releases).

Serpico also had a re-grade which I wasn't much a fan of based on screencaps (comparison here).

That said will probably still pick up Chungking Express and maybe a couple others in the German releases when they release later this year on UHD :p
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 04:13:53 AM by Coax »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41000 on: August 18, 2022, 04:24:25 AM »
Man, that green colour grading will look even better on most people's set. Most people love to use that Cool setting to make colours pop, but you're basically applying blue colour grading to the screen.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41001 on: August 18, 2022, 04:42:36 AM »
I'm not a big fan of directors going after the fact and doing those sort of grading and framing changes but it happens more often than you hear of... And WKW already did it with Ashes of Times (and I'm pretty certain 95% of people saw the redux and that's the only one available, original version might not exist anymore.).

I saw As Tears Go By in what was ostensibly a restored version and that was perfectly fine viewing. The old masters from early aughts could get a little dusty (Happy Together with all the probably non native BW effect especially) and PQ isn't there.

I'd prefer he didn't but it's probably only a very marginal difference. People will enjoy the films, their emotional core and the visuals much like you did in your original viewing.

South Morning China Post had a good article about it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 04:46:49 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #41002 on: August 18, 2022, 05:28:10 AM »
I don't mind either way but directors/editors should definitely label changes they make and not leave it up to bluray nerds to play spot the difference to figure out whats been altered

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41003 on: August 18, 2022, 05:46:53 AM »
Counterpoint : 99% of viewers don't care.
There's probably a title card it was restored and remastered.
ὕβρις

Coax

« Reply #41004 on: August 18, 2022, 06:39:50 AM »
There's probably a title card it was restored and remastered.

At the very end after the credits it shows a screen mentioning it's a 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative and approved by Wong Kar-wai. Nothing about remastered or regraded though (though I don't think I've seen mention of regrading in any film even when it has occurred).

In terms of caring though, I'd argue given they're more art house films that the audience is smaller, more discerning and interested, so the typical mainstream '99%' isn't as accurate imo. That said unless someone either checked online first for impressions or had a strong memory and realized it was different while watching I'm not sure how many would pick up on it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:44:45 AM by Coax »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41005 on: August 18, 2022, 06:46:52 AM »
We can argue about the guesstimates. That said the changes had some coverage in the media and the people who care are probably the sort to go on Criterion forums and similar to argue they specifically remember the exact shade of blue of the jacket when they saw the film in theater in 1967 (nevermind the quality of the projector or the exploitation copy).

I'm being acerbic but I'm a big proponent of faithfulness in general. In practice it's a bit of a wild goose chase, though.
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41006 on: August 18, 2022, 07:16:00 AM »
Serpico also had a re-grade which I wasn't much a fan of based on screencaps (comparison here).

This is really weird, because in this comparison it looks like the UHD regrade has actually lost detail over the 'regular' bluray release  ???

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41007 on: August 18, 2022, 07:22:08 AM »

This is really weird, because in this comparison it looks like the UHD regrade has actually lost detail over the 'regular' bluray release  ???

Different encoding, possibly different masters...
ὕβρις

Coax

« Reply #41008 on: August 18, 2022, 07:28:01 AM »

It's probably the sharpening on the 1080p Blu-Ray release that's adding contrast to the image and edges. Compare for ex. this shot where the Ultra HD shows more fine details along the building and staircase (and the 1080p Blu-Ray's sharpening is more apparent in things like the haloing around of the foreground elements against the sky).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41009 on: August 18, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »
Half these dinosaur CGI look like 60's claymation, and I think that adds to the movie.

I would absolutely watch a claymation reboot of Jurassic Park.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41010 on: August 18, 2022, 05:58:14 PM »
It's more that they get directors from the indie circuit that aren't used to rough prerenders (plus Marvel isolates them from the action units and non-dialogue scenes anyways), so VFX houses are forced to produce near-final renders multiple times throughout production. Plus Marvel doesn't push back on directors that request a lot of changes, because they know they have the weight to throw around.

Feige's production style also has no room for delays or interruptions short of a global cataclysm like a pandemic. If he wants a movie out two years from now on November 6th or whatever, everyone involved has too much financial incentive to even try pushing back on timeframes.

And really, what's the downside? Mean comments about CG in nerdy YouTube videos. I'm sure Disney's used to those by now.

You mean other than having talented VFX houses going out of business and scattering talented teams to the wind because Disney is fine abusing outsourced effects in ways they'd never treat their own staff?

HaughtyFrank

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41012 on: August 19, 2022, 02:30:36 PM »
Idris Elba is weird at this point, he's still touted for stuff all the time and is seemingly always there at A list events and shit, but hasn't actually been in anything hot since idk, Luther?

I saw an advert for that film on the wrestling the other night and it looks terrible (ie the kind of dross the studio would sell to Netflix rather than put it out at cinemas)
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41013 on: August 19, 2022, 02:34:41 PM »
Idris Elba is weird at this point, he's still touted for stuff all the time and is seemingly always there at A list events and shit, but hasn't actually been in anything hot since idk, Luther?

I saw an advert for that film on the wrestling the other night and it looks terrible (ie the kind of dross the studio would sell to Netflix rather than put it out at cinemas)

Bruh, he just played Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41014 on: August 19, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »

Netflix wishes it could land a movie where Idris Elba fights a lion. This looks like fantastic B-movie schlock. :rejoice
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #41015 on: August 19, 2022, 04:00:09 PM »
Idris seems more about getting paid and having fun than prestige. Which is fine.

Still, it’s too bad the Dark Tower movie flopped. He was great as the lead and if it had become a series he’d have a major leading role in a franchise.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41016 on: August 19, 2022, 04:24:44 PM »
Feel he’s one of those actors with the qualities of a leading man but actually best as a costar or even character actor. Always felt it with guys like Ben Affleck.

Bebpo

« Reply #41017 on: August 19, 2022, 04:28:10 PM »
Nah, I think he can lead great.

Would’ve been a top Bond.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41018 on: August 19, 2022, 04:56:41 PM »
Counter point: he would’ve been a great 006. Could still be. Really wouldn’t be surprised if they redid Goldeneye for the next one. Or next next one.

With it needing to be a full reboot, wonder if they keep Fiennes’ M like with Dench. Or do something chintzy like bringing in Pierce Brosnan to play M.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41019 on: August 19, 2022, 05:34:15 PM »
Idris Elba enjoys being a cat, an elf or a knuckle evidently. Honestly I dig it.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41020 on: August 19, 2022, 05:38:47 PM »
The Suicide Squad was pretty good, I think he did a good job in that.

He has a couple dramas or "more serious" films in the last years but that's not the main part of his work. I think he's really versatile though in doing all those cape / franchise flicks.
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41021 on: August 20, 2022, 05:39:46 AM »
In addition to being great in Suicide Squad (and at this point you have to wonder if WB regret not fully recasting Deadshot rather than using him as a lesser know expy), Idris was pretty good in Hobbes & Shaw, great in Pacific Rim, great in Star Trek: Beyond, and completely squandered in the Thor films, so mans got solid geekcon bookings as a retirement plan.

He's just missing a Star Wars universe gig to complete the trifecta at this point.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41022 on: August 20, 2022, 12:47:18 PM »
He was great in ghost rider.

Bebpo

« Reply #41023 on: August 20, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »
He was great in ghost rider.

Yeah, best part of 2.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41024 on: August 21, 2022, 12:01:46 PM »
Watched The Empty Man. The trailer gives very little away, but also misleads the audience about what kind of horror it is.  I liked it a bunch.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41025 on: August 21, 2022, 01:04:03 PM »
Watched The Empty Man. The trailer gives very little away, but also misleads the audience about what kind of horror it is.  I liked it a bunch.

Yeah, its definitely not the candyman knock off (spoopy urban legend killer) it at first appears (and the trailer I saw implied it) to be

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41026 on: August 21, 2022, 10:49:48 PM »
Prey was good

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41027 on: August 22, 2022, 05:23:01 AM »
Leaving Las Vegas was the greatest prequel to any comic character ever.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41028 on: August 22, 2022, 06:09:13 AM »
I rewatched League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen which I really enjoyed when it came out even though it is very much its own thing and not a faithful adaptation of the Alan Moore comic of the same name, and I still really enjoyed it.

If anything, I think it might have been ahead of its time, because its very much channelling that MCU tonal style.
I'm genuinely sad it was such a massive flop that Sean Connery basically said "fuck this shit" and gave up movies for good.

Tasty

« Reply #41029 on: August 22, 2022, 11:28:01 AM »
That movie made both Sean Connery and the director of Blade quit the industry altogether. Must have been a hellacious shoot.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41030 on: August 22, 2022, 07:52:55 PM »
Thirteen Lives

Pretty much what you'd expect from a movie about the cave rescue in Thailand. All around really competently made but of course no real surprises with Ron Howard just generally being a good fit for these kind of movies that are based on real events. What stood out to me was how reserved Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrel were in their roles. No big hollywood speeches for them, just two very lowkey performances making them really feel like two average British guys who just were there to help.

Btw. No mention of Elon Musk but seeing those cave diving trips it also makes you realize how absurd his idea of building a little diving pod was.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41031 on: August 22, 2022, 10:43:34 PM »
Top Gun was just wonderful, and I say that as someone who never understood the appeal of the original.  A very tightly written movie.  It's modernized enough that it feels fresh but still has enough hokey dialog and action-movie-logic that it has a nostalgic charm to it. 

Tasty

« Reply #41032 on: August 25, 2022, 04:40:53 PM »

Really good video.

I feel like I'm getting left behind by the zoomers though. Suppose it was inevitable.

Bebpo

« Reply #41033 on: August 26, 2022, 03:00:44 AM »
Double Indemnity (1944) - Liked it. The romance stuff is real dated. Dude walks into a married woman's house and in 5 mins was like "leave your husband and be mine baby." Listening to the audiobook of Hammett's Red Harvest (1929), Harvest feels less dated and silly than some of the stuff here.

The back half holds up pretty well and is still exciting seeing how the twists and turns and suspense plays out. Almost Hitchcock-ish. Edward Robinson who plays the boss Keyes is soooo good. Overall entertaining and interesting as one of the first Noir films.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41034 on: August 26, 2022, 04:23:21 AM »
Edward Robinson who plays the boss Keyes is soooo good.

I know the dude played a variety of roles to avoid being typecast, but he's pretty much the quintessential gangster archetype

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41035 on: August 26, 2022, 05:23:44 AM »

:dead  this looks great
This does indeed look great. I'm not much of a horror fan, but mixing Eldritch gods, glory holes, JK Simmons and fuck knows what else seems like a good recipe for some fun.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41036 on: August 26, 2022, 06:20:50 AM »

Really good video.

I feel like I'm getting left behind by the zoomers though. Suppose it was inevitable.
I'm surprised LG and Sony haven't jumped on the IMAX TV bandwagon yet.
Maybe that's how they're going to sell 8k TV's?

I'm a big fan of movies filling up the entire screen, it's shame they cheaped out on this for the DUNE 4K release even though it was originally planned.
The current selection is all over the place, Disney decided to adapt it for Marvel on Disney+ which is pretty awesome and a few Mission Impossible movies also have IMAX versions but otherwise it's just completely random.
Shit like Bad Boys for Life is IMAX enhanced for example. Hopefully Cruise keeps his foot down for IMAX Top Gun Maverick, he's all about TV settings.  :lol
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41037 on: August 26, 2022, 06:02:08 PM »
I've always been a stickler for aspect ratios being maintained.
But at the same time I really enjoy those IMAX EDITION Marvel movies on my 4k set that present a 1.85 with tons of detail in the image. So I don't know where I stand on this anymore.

I mean it helps that Marvel movies aren't art or anything. Not sure if I'd see a Roger Deakin movie in IMAX crop over 2.35 original. But honestly IMAX makes it all mixed up in the first place on what the director/cinematographer's intent is for framing. Even worse if only select scenes are filmed in IMAX ratio. I remember when the Nolan Batman movies came out on BD and they'd be 2.35 and then open up to 1.85 in select IMAX scenes which just looks weird to me. I definitely prefer a non-changing ratio.

Tasty

« Reply #41038 on: August 26, 2022, 06:53:10 PM »
Death to cropping. Full stop, always, fuck accessibility. Are we watching a filmmaker's vision or just some long video thing?

Pixar's rerendering is the only acceptable method for altering aspect ratios, but that obviates cropping entirely so my point still stands.

Safe areas when shooting are a compromise I can tolerate, because the creator still has the say in shot composition.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41039 on: August 26, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »

I wonder what Kubrick would think

It is pretty weird but also pretty well made