Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 2393581 times)

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40740 on: January 11, 2021, 09:20:57 PM »
Soul Man > Halloween Water

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40741 on: January 11, 2021, 09:27:06 PM »
F13p2 > House > Warlock > Lake Placid > F13p3 > Soul Man > Forever Young > H20

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #40742 on: January 11, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
I didn't put H20 above 3. This is a series that has FIVE different continuities including a 20 years later sequel that erases 60% of continuity, then another movie 20 years after THAT that erases 85% of continuity (including the first 20 years later sequel that erased continuity), and in between those two 20 years later sequels was a full blown remake and sequel to that.

Season of the Witch counts you fuck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40743 on: January 11, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »
:dead
NtGay

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40744 on: January 11, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »
I didn't put H20 above 3. This is a series that has FIVE different continuities including a 20 years later sequel that erases 60% of continuity, then another movie 20 years after THAT that erases 85% of continuity (including the first 20 years later sequel that erased continuity), and in between those two 20 years later sequels was a full blown remake and sequel to that.

Season of the Witch counts you fuck

It does? Did I miss the scene where Michael comes in and waves a kitchen knife around to say "HI I'M HERE! REMEMBER ME?"

Season of the Witch is its own thing.

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #40745 on: January 11, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »
It's a Halloween movie. Halloween is literally in the title. John Carpenter had more involvement in Season of the Witch than any sequel after 2 including 2018.

You fuck.

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40746 on: January 11, 2021, 09:55:25 PM »
It's a Halloween movie. Halloween is literally in the title. John Carpenter had more involvement in Season of the Witch than any sequel after 2 including 2018.

You fuck.

Its the Kill Bill to Pulp Fiction. Its the movie they watch in the Halloween Universe. Either way. You still put 4 over 2018. That tells me all I need to know.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40747 on: January 12, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
Julian Sands in Warlock :rejoice
©@©ô

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40748 on: January 12, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
Julian Sands is S tier, no doubt.

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #40749 on: January 12, 2021, 11:34:02 AM »

You fuck.

Its the Kill Bill to Pulp Fiction. Its the movie they watch in the Halloween Universe. Either way. You still put 4 over 2018. That tells me all I need to know.

4 has Donald Pleasance, probably the best child actor in any horror movie, is basically a remake of 1 but with a kid but still enough to do its own thing

2018 has....a good mask, good music, explicitly jettisons all continuity and then most of the movie is just scenes taken from the sequels they jettisoned. Some real have your cake and eat it too bullshit. And that's all the best stuff as all the actually original stuff (the true crime podcasters, the school party and fight with boyfriend, etc) sucks

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40750 on: January 12, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
4 has Donald Pleasance in some of the worst special effects makeup I have ever seen. The mask was terrible. Danielle Harris was pretty fucking terrible in it. And that ending... oh man that ending.

2018 has Jibrail Nantambu, who in his 10 minutes of screen time shits all over Danielle Harris in 2 movies.

Halloween 2018 is bad because it "jettisoned" stuff from a bunch of Halloween movies (???) but 4 is great because its a shitty remake of the original.

Ok?

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #40751 on: January 12, 2021, 12:49:17 PM »
Yeah the mask does suck no argument there

No 2018 is middle of the pack because it jettisoned stuff from the Halloween movies and the whole PR around it was the sequels weren't good, too murky, too dumb, and they're going to get back to what made the original great and then....they just took shit from all the sequels for their own movie and made a movie that's story is every bit as dumb and implausible as the sequels anyway. But the music was great, probably best in the entire series, mask looked good, and it looked slick over all. But it is pretty hollow.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40752 on: January 12, 2021, 01:22:11 PM »
https://deadline.com/video/netflix-2021-movie-slate/

70 Netflix original films in 2021. Jesus Christ.
🕊️

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #40753 on: January 12, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
70 movies to ignore then.
Spud

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40754 on: January 12, 2021, 01:56:06 PM »
70 movies to ignore then.

For every Kissing Booth there's at least one The Irishman :trumps
🕊️

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #40755 on: January 12, 2021, 02:19:25 PM »
No film is worth 209 minutes of my time unfortunately.
Spud

filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40756 on: January 12, 2021, 02:20:36 PM »
4 has Donald Pleasance in some of the worst special effects makeup I have ever seen. The mask was terrible. Danielle Harris was pretty fucking terrible in it. And that ending... oh man that ending.

2018 has Jibrail Nantambu, who in his 10 minutes of screen time shits all over Danielle Harris in 2 movies.

Halloween 2018 is bad because it "jettisoned" stuff from a bunch of Halloween movies (???) but 4 is great because its a shitty remake of the original.

Ok?
forgot about the kid, he was great  :lol

EchoRin

• How many hamburgers am I allowed to eat, Mr. President?
« Reply #40757 on: January 12, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »

Hoo man. No surprise with Covid-19 still sticking around. Though skimming wikipedia, most of this is just distribution rights rather than Netflix funded projects.

Looking forward to Don't Look Up which is in February and being a Richard Linklater fan I'm curious about Apollo 10 1/2 (no release date beyond 2021).

edit:

Skimming some more and I came across something that I had, mmm, no real desire to see. I'm talking about The Guilty. You see it was an excellent little Danish film from 2018 that I felt didn't need a Hollywood remake. Essentially I had images of the Hollywood Oldboy flashing in my head. I heard that it was getting remake and thought "ah, give a try, but I don't think it will be as elegant and subdued in the right way the original was" (not that a remake is supposed to mimic the original work by rule. Shit it can go a completely different route).

However. I see that my boys Jake Gyllenhaal, Ethan Hawke and Paulo Dano are in this. Heh, even Bill Burr is in this. Most of the original movie plays out over a series of telephone calls. The acting was mainly our main character and a few other people in the office. Hard to imagine with all these actors attached to the project that it will be as stripped down, but who knows. My interest is piqued. Directed by the Training Day guy and written by the dude who worked on True Detective. Take that for what you will. I've gone from someone who winced at the idea of this remake to patiently looking forward to a trailer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:11:27 PM by EchoRin »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40758 on: January 12, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
We're finally getting the Zack Snyder cut of Netflix.
©@©ô

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40759 on: January 12, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
No film is worth 209 minutes of my time unfortunately.

:hmm
🕊️

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #40760 on: January 12, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »

Hoo man. No surprise with Covid-19 still sticking around. Though skimming wikipedia, most of this is just distribution rights rather than Netflix funded projects.

Looking forward to Don't Look Up which is in February and being a Richard Linklater fan I'm curious about Apollo 10 1/2 (no release date beyond 2021).

edit:

Skimming some more and I came across something that I had, mmm, no real desire to see. I'm talking about The Guilty. You see it was an excellent little Danish film from 2018 that I felt didn't need a Hollywood remake. Essentially I had images of the Hollywood Oldboy flashing in my head. I heard that it was getting remake and thought "ah, give a try, but I don't think it will be as elegant and subdued in the right way the original was" (not that a remake is supposed to mimic the original work by rule. Shit it can go a completely different route).

However. I see that my boys Jake Gyllenhaal, Ethan Hawke and Paulo Dano are in this. Heh, even Bill Burr is in this. Most of the original movie plays out over a series of telephone calls. The acting was mainly our main character and a few other people in the office. Hard to imagine with all these actors attached to the project that it will be as stripped down, but who knows. My interest is piqued. Directed by the Training Day guy and written by the dude who worked on True Detective. Take that for what you will. I've gone from someone who winced at the idea of this remake to patiently looking forward to a trailer.
Yeah the Guilty was a fun little movie, it was quite tense and well put together, but i can see room for improvement, especially if they take it a bit more seriously (which i doubt) since some of the stuff in it came off as unintentionally funny, in my opinion.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40761 on: January 15, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
https://news.avclub.com/clerks-3-opens-with-my-chemical-romances-welcome-to-th-1846061086

Kevin Smith can write 101 pages in 18 days, need to step my game up. :goty
🕊️

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40762 on: January 16, 2021, 01:30:37 AM »
Finally watched Jay and Silent Bob Reboot tonight because of that news post. It was both better and much worse than I expected at the same time. Slightly better than Yoga Hosers due to the cameos.

The meta-ness wore out its cutesiness fast (thankfully they cut the worse offenders but still stuck them in the credits), and now it seems Clerks 3 is going meta too? Kevin Smith is doing his thing which is fine, but his best work was semi-grounded non-meta wankery BS.

I was rolling my eyes at the Stan Lee scene, when it should have been moving. Too much meta shit.
🕊️

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40763 on: January 16, 2021, 10:47:57 AM »
I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking ďitís really good that Kevin has other ways to make money,ď because his directing choices...oof.  More heartfelt stuff like the Holden monologue and less wacky-everything else.

Iím hoping that Reboot was simply a case of him trying to recapture Strike Backís 90ís style of wacky comedy for Mewes as his leading man, and that Clerks 3 stays much more grounded and focused on character driven story where the better actors can sell it.

Piss Benoit

• Going through your phone
« Reply #40764 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
I'm 99% sure Ive seen that film but can't remember a single thing about it :anhuld

Bebpo

« Reply #40765 on: January 17, 2021, 02:53:39 AM »
Well finally got to see Benson & Moorhead's Synchronic. I fucking love Resolution, Spring and The Endless and was looking forward to this.

It's good, maybe even great, but I think it's definitely the weakest of the four films so far. The story concept is interesting and the direction still has that great sci-fi film w/horror tension/ambiance that their other flicks tend to have. But some aspects of the story felt a little too simplistic and I thought it puttered out at a bit at the end. Also even with this being their biggest budget film with actual stars, it feels sooooo budget. I'm glad they're always punching above their weight pushing interesting sci-fi stuff with limited budget, but it'll be nice with Moon Knight to see what they can do with a real production budget.

That being said I sure hope they get included in the writer's room for Moon Knight. I'd argue their writing and creative stories are a bigger strength than their directing style. I know for the films, unless you're James Gunn, Marvel tends to be pretty studio control, but maybe for the TV stuff they'll be more open to creator input. I gotta imagine if Feige liked their catalogue to hire them and give them Oscar Issac & Ethan Hawke then Feige probably liked their stories and would see the strength of having them on as writers for Moon Knight.

Also I guess they'll have another film before Moon Knight? I saw an interview on Synchronic from a few months back and they said they were about 3 months into a shoot on their new "film" and were quarantining with the cast & crew. I guess Moon Knight is probably like 2022 thing. Looking forward to their next flick.

If you haven't seen their previous stuff, skip Synchronic and go watch those.

Bebpo

« Reply #40766 on: January 17, 2021, 03:06:47 AM »
Also my slight woke rant is that Synchronic is a film that deals with a black man experiencing various major racial situations. That's fine, except that it's written by two middle age white guys. I like Benson & Moorhead a lot and they seem like good people with good intentions, but my personal take on creative writing whether it's videogames, tv, film, whatever in the modern era is that if you're a white dude and you are writing a script from the point of view of someone who is not white and the struggles they face as someone not white, then that is OK but you should get a good co-writer in the writer's room who does have the background of the character you are writing so they can have input on the script. I feel that makes it more legit and less cringy. But that's just my personal take.

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #40767 on: January 17, 2021, 04:07:29 AM »
It's not like these struggles haven't been documented first hand over and over and over with interviews and documentaries for decades. There's enough first hand accounts of the black American experience of racism that a talented writer can adapt those experiences authentically and with the right tone.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #40768 on: January 17, 2021, 11:10:08 AM »
I remember liking Spring quite a bit, maybe i'll give their other films a shot.

Bebpo

« Reply #40769 on: January 17, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »
I remember liking Spring quite a bit, maybe i'll give their other films a shot.

Their best film that got them noticed the most is The Endless, but the movie is twice as enjoyable & satisfying if you've seen Resolution first since the movies are connected.

Resolution has really heavy Lynch feel, while still being pretty funny.

I'd rank them The Endless > Spring > Resolution > Synchronic, but they're all worth watching. If they had a little more polish & budget they could be the next Rian Johnson type modern era hq writer/director filmmaker, but they're not quite there yet.

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40770 on: January 17, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40771 on: January 17, 2021, 06:26:10 PM »
Not drawing this BS out over multiple episodes :rejoice
🕊️

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40772 on: January 17, 2021, 06:58:41 PM »
I'm ready to blame WB for not releasing the intended 12 hour SNYDER SERIES if it sucks  :shaq2
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40773 on: January 17, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »
I'm ready to blame WB for not releasing the intended 12 hour SNYDER SERIES if it sucks  :shaq2

Oh god, another 2 year fan campaign :snoop
🕊️

filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40774 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »
it's always fan campaign SZN  :rejoice

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40775 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:17 PM »
Well finally got to see Benson & Moorhead's Synchronic. I fucking love Resolution, Spring and The Endless and was looking forward to this.

It's good, maybe even great, but I think it's definitely the weakest of the four films so far. The story concept is interesting and the direction still has that great sci-fi film w/horror tension/ambiance that their other flicks tend to have. But some aspects of the story felt a little too simplistic and I thought it puttered out at a bit at the end. Also even with this being their biggest budget film with actual stars, it feels sooooo budget. I'm glad they're always punching above their weight pushing interesting sci-fi stuff with limited budget, but it'll be nice with Moon Knight to see what they can do with a real production budget.

That being said I sure hope they get included in the writer's room for Moon Knight. I'd argue their writing and creative stories are a bigger strength than their directing style. I know for the films, unless you're James Gunn, Marvel tends to be pretty studio control, but maybe for the TV stuff they'll be more open to creator input. I gotta imagine if Feige liked their catalogue to hire them and give them Oscar Issac & Ethan Hawke then Feige probably liked their stories and would see the strength of having them on as writers for Moon Knight.

Also I guess they'll have another film before Moon Knight? I saw an interview on Synchronic from a few months back and they said they were about 3 months into a shoot on their new "film" and were quarantining with the cast & crew. I guess Moon Knight is probably like 2022 thing. Looking forward to their next flick.

If you haven't seen their previous stuff, skip Synchronic and go watch those.

I still think Spring is their best movie and Endless being their worst. Endless felt like a movie that wanted to have cool looking scenes and they wrote the plot around those story boarded parts. It didn't feel cohesive at all. Spring is dead simple and its great for that.

I've been meaning to watch this, just need to be in the right mood, I guess.

Correction: Bonestorm is their worst.

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40776 on: January 18, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/people/status/1351224401656754177

Guess she did not like the Snyder Cut  :ohhh
GAMER

EchoRin

« Reply #40777 on: January 18, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
We got a chance again boys

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:mike :social
[close]

filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40778 on: January 18, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »
is she a cubcomm  :thinking

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40779 on: January 18, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
His dick don't work no more.

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #40780 on: January 19, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40783 on: January 19, 2021, 06:30:25 PM »
Shit that's a hot trailer concept tho
🕊️

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #40784 on: January 19, 2021, 09:05:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1351582090307973120

Why
I'm very glad that this will inevitably lose a truckload of money.
Spud

naff

• <̽̎̏ͨͣ͞҉̯͔̩̩͕ͅ>̫͔͍̥͉̳͚͓͗͋̄̑ͧ̓̔̏ͭ̿͌ͫ́̒́ͩ̀͡͞ͅ
« Reply #40785 on: January 19, 2021, 09:09:41 PM »
y'all reckon willy going to fuck a oompa loompa?
◕‿◕

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40786 on: January 20, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
aaawww yiiisssss

First teaser released for Canít Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional History of the Modern World, the latest series from journalist and BAFTA award-winning filmmaker, Adam Curtis. The series will premiere exclusively on BBC iPlayer on 11 February 2021.

Canít Get You Out of My Head tells the story of how we got to the strange days we are now experiencing. And why both those in power - and we - find it so difficult to move on.

The films trace different forces across the world that have led to now, not just in the West, but in China and Russia as well. It covers a wide range - including the strange roots of modern conspiracy theories, the history of China, opium and opiods, the history of Artificial Intelligence, melancholy over the loss of empire and, love and power. And explores whether modern culture, despite its radicalism, is really just part of the new system of power.

And the films are told in a different way - they are an emotional history of what went on inside the heads of all kinds of people. Because in the age of the individual - what you felt and what you wanted and what you dreamed of were going to become the driving force across the world.

What was forgotten in that age was that much of what we feel is also formed by the society around us. Above all by the power structures. And now those structures are decaying - everywhere - their weakness and uncertainty makes us feel empty and frightened of the future.

That is what is paralysing us - and blocking us from imagining different kinds of societies and a better future

Canít Get You Out of My Head is an epic history that shows how and why that happened. How we made this particular world. And that it was not inevitable.
GAMER

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #40787 on: January 20, 2021, 02:05:30 PM »
 6 Adam Curtis docs  :win

2021 off to a bang!

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40788 on: January 20, 2021, 03:04:14 PM »
"This is a story about our minds. How we must protect ourselves against our own thoughts and convictions"

*footage of The Matrix, Boris Johnson drinking a pint and ducks in a pond for no apparent reason"

"Our series of films begins in Vietnam. Where reality managed to overtake the facade and make belief world the Americans and their allies had created for themselves"

*footage of Sadam smiling, McNamara driving his car, kids walking their dog and what could possibly be a burning tree in Vietnam but also Switzerland*

:rejoice
GAMER

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40789 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/007/status/1352416833815633922

NO
   TIME
         TO
            RELEASE
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40790 on: January 21, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
Next one will have been cast, shot, and released before the last Craig movie :dead
🕊️

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40791 on: January 21, 2021, 08:06:06 PM »
Next one will have been cast, shot, and released before the last Craig movie :dead
MGM is for sale but apparently no one has bought it yet  :doge

I dunno, I'm fearing for the future of Mr. Bond at this point.
GAMER

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40792 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
Itís kind of a shame the movies make so much money for them, as I think the property is prime material for a badass serial show somewhere like HBO or Netflix

chronovore

• relapsed dev

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40794 on: Today at 12:17:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1350881488934367233

4 hours of Snyder :rejoice
Not drawing this BS out over multiple episodes :rejoice
Itís a ďsave the marketing departmentď move. If consumers watched the first episode and then didnít watch the remaining ones, it would be clear evidence that this was a bad move. I making it a one episode entry, they can always argue that the viewers will tune in later to watch the rest of it, because itís four hours.

Guaranteed, this is simply positioning.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #40795 on: Today at 12:19:28 AM »
Bingo.
🕊️

Coax

« Reply #40796 on: Today at 01:01:12 AM »
NO
   TIME
         TO
            RELEASE

It's so strange seeing it pushed back a year and a half from its original date. I'm curious how they'll re-market it next year given the build up is kinda lost and the existing promotional media about it.

Nintex

• DARK MODE CORPO
« Reply #40797 on: Today at 05:07:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1352255420371447808

:usacry

Why don't they just deep fake this shit at this point :lol
GAMER

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40798 on: Today at 09:47:50 AM »
Going to watch Psyco Goreman tonight. 
NtGay

EchoRin

« Reply #40799 on: Today at 03:38:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1352255420371447808

:usacry

Why don't they just deep fake this shit at this point :lol

I need to go to some red state movie theater surrounded by boomers whooping and hollering and clapping to see this.