Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4190801 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41100 on: September 08, 2022, 09:19:02 AM »

Looks alright. Not quite as charming as the first one I'd say but maybe that's on the trailer editor.

I'm a still a bit surprised that Netflix put so much money behind two Knives out sequels

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41101 on: September 08, 2022, 10:09:39 AM »
Whats the deal, with all these new murder mystery films using Beatles lyrics?

:whatsthedeal

Bebpo

« Reply #41102 on: September 08, 2022, 10:19:01 PM »
That Zemeckis Pinnochio with Tom Hanks came out today on Disney+ and getting murdered in reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pinocchio_2022

Bodes well for Del Toro's version being the better version.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41103 on: September 09, 2022, 09:08:49 AM »
Someone needs to stop Zemeckis from making kids movies. They're all creepy and weird.
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #41104 on: September 09, 2022, 01:49:18 PM »
420 minute Adam Curtis doc on the collapse of the Soviet Union coming soon!

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41105 on: September 09, 2022, 02:13:46 PM »
That Zemeckis Pinnochio with Tom Hanks came out today on Disney+ and getting murdered in reviews.

How does this qualify as "fresh"?  :lol

The full review isn't much more positive. Is it left up to the reviewer to decide whether their review counts as fresh or rotten? There's no score.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41106 on: September 09, 2022, 02:20:03 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

The full review isn't much more positive. Is it left up to the reviewer to decide whether their review counts as fresh or rotten? There's no score.

"its best"
"cultural critique"
"state of the artistic union"
 :wow :wow :wow :wow :wow

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41107 on: September 09, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »

Did one of those AI websites write that
:O

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41108 on: September 09, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
Barbarian has been getting great reviews, and I’m ready to start the Halloween season. :rejoice
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #41109 on: September 09, 2022, 04:49:15 PM »
Hey so we ever getting a Halloween Ends trailer orrrrrrrr

Edit- Oh shit I missed it. Are they going stealth mode on this thing after Kills or something? :thinking

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41110 on: September 09, 2022, 05:04:11 PM »
I kinda hope they just go super redic with this movie, I don't even care if it’s good. :lol Halloween Kills was already stupid as hell.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #41111 on: September 09, 2022, 07:25:25 PM »
Did we know that Barry Jenkins (Moonlight, Beale Street, Underground Railroad) was doing a Lion King CG prequel about Mufasa?
Should look gorgeous, but within Disney's PG safe restrictions is he gonna be able to make an interesting film?

Also Enchanted sequel trailer looks terrible. I really liked the original.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41112 on: September 09, 2022, 08:53:42 PM »

not all that riveting. It's kinda like movie fast food

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41113 on: September 09, 2022, 08:58:09 PM »
Live action disenchanted? Why?
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #41114 on: September 09, 2022, 11:37:52 PM »
Did we know that Barry Jenkins (Moonlight, Beale Street, Underground Railroad) was doing a Lion King CG prequel about Mufasa?

Yes we did, and yes it will be terrible.

Tasty

« Reply #41115 on: September 09, 2022, 11:39:29 PM »
As such, the film goes beyond the iconic Pride Lands to show him as a cub in a desert, where he is swept away by a flood

:mindblown

he is swept away by a flood and becomes an orphan.

Tasty

« Reply #41116 on: September 09, 2022, 11:57:17 PM »
Barry Jenkins has my ideal career path. One Best Picture then helming your pick of any IP (in my case, it'd be Friday the 13th. I still think I have a good take, damnit.)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41117 on: September 10, 2022, 02:37:38 PM »

:pimp
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41118 on: September 10, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »
Watched Netflix Original I Came By, which was boring shit.

Its basically the same film (but done worse) as Bad Samaritan, so you should go watch that instead.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41119 on: September 10, 2022, 05:27:03 PM »

Yes yes yes yes yes :rejoice
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #41120 on: September 10, 2022, 06:30:09 PM »
Us, couple years late but having really enjoyed Nope and Get Out, figured I’d give it a go. It’s fine. No strong impression one way or another. Compared to Peele’s others, it’s blunt in its ideas and dry in its execution.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41121 on: September 10, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »
Thor 4 was great.  I can understand the goofy humour not being for everyone but it was a very competent movie and a good sequel to 3.  I don't get complaints about tone inconsistency --the serious moments in the second half were not brought down by the first half having the same tone as the naked gun.

Agreed.  I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Ragnarok, but it was still a fun movie overall.  What was up with the overuse of Guns N' Roses though?  Not that I mind, but it just stood out with how many times they used their songs and with one of the characters wanting to call himself 'Axel.'

Also interesting was the use of weapons. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Holy shit, it's the Necrosword!  Shadow monster things coming out from it!  Are we getting a tease for Knull?  Setting up some Venom shit maybe? 

...Nope!  Destroyed!
[close]
:dead
ど助平

HaughtyFrank

Bebpo

« Reply #41123 on: September 11, 2022, 02:17:07 AM »
Yeah, gotta disagree on Thor 4.

What the fuck was this movie. Probably one of the worst edited films I've ever seen. None of the scenes/dialogue work. It feels like a 3 hour movie edited into a 2 hour movie. Also has way too many different storylines.

Bale was surprisingly a really good Gorr. Some nice looking visual shots, some funny jokes. But it doesn't mesh together at all. To me it's probably the worst MCU film. There's a good movie in there somewhere, but all we got was the music video of it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41124 on: September 12, 2022, 10:14:42 PM »
Thor 4 Love and Thunder was plenty of fun. I can see why people felt there was tonal dissonance, but I didn't feel it. It was a good sequel to Ragnarok, in terms of dark humor and still heartfelt moments. My complaint is it's the first MCU movie to actually address the "well, they're gods" statement, and it leaves most of the interesting questions on the editing floor.

• Who is whispering to Gorr to visit the oasis, point out the Necroblade, and kill his god?
  • Who manipulated Mjolnir into calling to Jane, tricking her into thinking Mjolnir would cure her by turning her into Mighty Thor?
  • If Thor is actually a relatively non-aging and powerful God, how much of Norse mythology do we think is now factual, and is he accountable for his bad behavior; likely we are just supposed to what's revealed in MCU films.
  • Hey, there's an afterlife! Only the audience gets to know about it for certain, but that's another pro-gods proof of supernatural and superspiritual existence, in the face of atheists and agnostics. That's a huge statement spiritually and should have cultural repercussions -- it won't.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41125 on: September 14, 2022, 12:15:48 AM »
To me it's probably the worst MCU film.

Dunno how you can say that with Eternals out there.  :yuck
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41126 on: September 14, 2022, 12:21:15 AM »
Thor 4 Love and Thunder was plenty of fun. I can see why people felt there was tonal dissonance, but I didn't feel it. It was a good sequel to Ragnarok, in terms of dark humor and still heartfelt moments. My complaint is it's the first MCU movie to actually address the "well, they're gods" statement, and it leaves most of the interesting questions on the editing floor.

• Who is whispering to Gorr to visit the oasis, point out the Necroblade, and kill his god?
  • Who manipulated Mjolnir into calling to Jane, tricking her into thinking Mjolnir would cure her by turning her into Mighty Thor?
  • If Thor is actually a relatively non-aging and powerful God, how much of Norse mythology do we think is now factual, and is he accountable for his bad behavior; likely we are just supposed to what's revealed in MCU films.
  • Hey, there's an afterlife! Only the audience gets to know about it for certain, but that's another pro-gods proof of supernatural and superspiritual existence, in the face of atheists and agnostics. That's a huge statement spiritually and should have cultural repercussions -- it won't.
[close]

In response to your spoilered questions/statements:

-The Necroblade itself is what called out to Gorr and used him to go kill gods.
-Thor's hammer was enchanted by Thor himself to "protect" Jane.  This was shown in that flashback scene when they were together.
-The big difference between the storyline in the movies and the comics is that Thor lost his hammer after being deemed unworthy for shit he had done.  Jane then picked it up.  We weren't told who was the new female Thor for a little while, but the movie went right into it.  Kinda surprised they didn't have it go on for a bit with the world talking about a new Thor before doing that.
-I don't see that as any kind of statement on religion.  Valhalla is only for the gods themselves (and I guess Jane counts after kinda becoming one?) who die in battle.  If they follow the comic storyline, this is just to show that Jane is still around and can potentially come back as a Valkyrie.
[close]
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #41127 on: September 14, 2022, 12:29:04 AM »

You're talking to the wrong guy. I liked Eternals. Like mid-tier MCU.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41128 on: September 14, 2022, 12:35:12 AM »
Some movies I saw recently:

Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick: I don't think I've ever seen the original Top Gun before!  Certainly had no memory of it, so I marathoned both films last weekend.  I like the original more and Maverick had this "kind of a retread/remake but also a sequel" vibe going on with some things repeating themselves.  The first movie had more memorable characters as well.  Too much overuse of some of the same songs and I got tired of Take My Breath away pretty fast.  Both were some cheesy, good fun and had some pretty unrealistic flying stuff going on, but it made for good action.  The one thing I just couldn't suspend disbelief for was at the end of Maverick when
Maverick and Rooster are on foot.  Dodging helicopter gunfire?  Sneaking into a base and stealing a plane without anyone noticing?
[close]
  Did this turn into a video game?  :P

Major League: Back To the Minors: Hey, it was free on Youtube.  And it was bad.  Real bad.  Made the second movie look like the first one in comparison!

Johnny Mnemonic: The last time I saw this movie in its entirety was when it came out in the theaters in 1995.  It did not age well (there's some very cheesy and "cheap" about a lot of mid-90s movies) and the story was bad.  I also kept wondering how the bad guys kept finding Johnny and friends so easily, especially on the bridge at the end.  And how the hell did Dolph Lundgren's character get up there with everything blown up?  And why did he even care about killing Johnny if he was doing it for the money and his employer was dead? 
:dizzy

Would like to read the original to see if it was written better and what they changed- I know all references to Neuromancer were removed.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41129 on: September 14, 2022, 12:35:36 AM »

You're talking to the wrong guy. I liked Eternals. Like mid-tier MCU.

:mindblown
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41130 on: September 14, 2022, 04:56:27 AM »
Some movies I saw recently:

Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick: I don't think I've ever seen the original Top Gun before!  Certainly had no memory of it, so I marathoned both films last weekend.  I like the original more and Maverick had this "kind of a retread/remake but also a sequel" vibe going on with some things repeating themselves.  The first movie had more memorable characters as well.  Too much overuse of some of the same songs and I got tired of Take My Breath away pretty fast.  Both were some cheesy, good fun and had some pretty unrealistic flying stuff going on, but it made for good action.  The one thing I just couldn't suspend disbelief for was at the end of Maverick when
Maverick and Rooster are on foot.  Dodging helicopter gunfire?  Sneaking into a base and stealing a plane without anyone noticing?
[close]
  Did this turn into a video game?  :P
Absolutely. The last act of Maverick was fucking trash-tier AAA video game quality writing.

Compared to the last act of the original, it's laughable.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41131 on: September 14, 2022, 10:12:22 AM »
Watched Top Gun Ace Combat digitally over the weekend. Second time since it originally released on the big screen.

Few movies are as perfect as this.

I agree it has those video game vibes tho.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41132 on: September 14, 2022, 07:47:16 PM »
I can deal with the fact that they just happen to find the Tomcat (even though I actually burst out laughing when I saw it), but the fact it's full loaded and fuelled is like... :gurl
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41134 on: September 14, 2022, 08:59:42 PM »

Even advertises itself as illegal comic book movie so I guess they expected this

Tasty

« Reply #41135 on: September 14, 2022, 09:04:07 PM »
https://slate.com/culture/2022/09/peoples-joker-trans-movie-tiff-vera-drew-dc.html

The Founding Fathers had it right.

The length of copyright established by the Founding Fathers was short, 14 years, plus the ability to renew it one time, for 14 more. 40 years later, the initial term was changed to 28 years.

It was not until a full 180 years after its establishment that it was significantly extended beyond that.

Tasty

« Reply #41136 on: September 14, 2022, 09:05:55 PM »

Even advertises itself as illegal comic book movie so I guess they expected this

Escape from Tomorrow kinda sorta got away with it... but then again that film was more reverent to its sources, and tried to downplay any potential legal issues as much as possible...

Bebpo

« Reply #41137 on: September 15, 2022, 02:32:06 AM »
Rewatched Pitch Black and Dark Fury. I didn't realize Pitch Black was 2000. I remember seeing that in the theater 22 years ago. Fuck I feel old.

Movie's still good. Vin Diesel is so goofy in this compared to his career afterwards. Also looks weird with hair. He's trying so hard to look cool, but most of the time it's just kind of lolz. But that makes it work as a B-movie. The supporting cast is great and the color corrected alien world and night areas all look great. The action direction is kind of bad looking back at this. Tons of fast cuts. Aliens still kinda cool. It's not a great movie but it's good.

Escape from Butcher Bay's still the best Riddick. I wonder if it's backwards compatible these days.

Dark Fury was a bit better than I remembered. I do not like Peter Chung's art style at all. But it was a solid short ep and had some good action.

Would be up for another Riddick movie. I remember 3 being sorta ok and just a re-tread of Pitch Black. I liked Chronicles of Riddick but it's a bad movie. I think I mostly just liked it for the ending which is great.

Also looking up the writer/director David Twohy, dude has had basically no career post-Pitch Black outside these Riddick movies and hasn't done anything since 2013. Kinda odd. Not sure if Riddick made that retirement kinda money.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41138 on: September 15, 2022, 04:00:10 PM »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41139 on: September 15, 2022, 04:08:41 PM »
The Revenant was basically a superhero movie but with real writers
:O

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41140 on: September 16, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »

wtf bob odenkirk is in this?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #41142 on: September 16, 2022, 06:23:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1570889223095336971

Kinda amazing. I know it’s divisive for not being comic Constantine. Still had a great time with it.

Tasty

« Reply #41143 on: September 16, 2022, 08:28:44 PM »
How the fuck is that getting a sequel? :lol I fucking loved that movie (Weisz and Keanu kinda guaranteed it), but they've rebooted Constantine/Hellblazer like twice in live action in the meantime. :lol

Bring it on! 8)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #41144 on: September 16, 2022, 09:06:59 PM »
Its getting a sequel because its a cult movie and more importantly, Keanu.

Tasty

« Reply #41145 on: September 16, 2022, 09:45:27 PM »
Apparently this was orchestrated by Deluca and Abdy, in their first big move as the co-heads of WB Pictures after leaving MGM/Amazon.

Interesting.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41146 on: September 17, 2022, 04:49:52 AM »
I can almost gurantee they wanted his as starlord

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41147 on: September 17, 2022, 04:50:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1570889223095336971

Kinda amazing. I know it’s divisive for not being comic Constantine. Still had a great time with it.

I thought this was paul rudd for second

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41148 on: September 17, 2022, 07:46:42 AM »
I can deal with the fact that they just happen to find the Tomcat (even though I actually burst out laughing when I saw it), but the fact it's full loaded and fuelled is like... :gurl
In Top Gun 3 the "Rogue Nation" fires an EMP to ground the entire US air force and Maverick shoots down the Tupolev nuclear bomber threatening Penny's bar with his P-51 Mustang  :cruise
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #41149 on: September 17, 2022, 12:02:03 PM »
Seemingly out of nowhere a reboot of Fletch came out with Jon Hamm. And it’s supposedly pretty good  :leon

Those old Chevy Chase movies were always on rotation on TBS and TNT. Reading the wiki, they’ve been trying to reboot this shit for twenty years. At some stage Harvey Weinstein was invested in making it Miramax’s Bond, as a long running series.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41150 on: September 17, 2022, 07:42:17 PM »
I didn't even know it was a book series until listening to Jon Hamm on this week's CBB.

The Grey Man was good.  Story-wise it was a clunky Bourne knock-off, but the action sequences were pretty stellar and all the actors were great.  Hoping for a sequel.  Suprised more people are not talking about it.     

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41151 on: September 20, 2022, 07:39:11 PM »

This doesn't look great :(

Bebpo

« Reply #41152 on: September 20, 2022, 07:41:47 PM »
Yeah, but it's by the writers/director who did The Ritual and The Night House which were both very good.

I mean I'm of the opinion there will never be a good Hellraiser movie again after Hellraiser 1. The franchise is cursed. But the staff behind this is promising so I guess if any Hellraiser movie after the first is actually good it will be this one.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41153 on: September 20, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »
Trailer doesn't look like anything special but that none of it looks like shit is already a plus considering the state the franchise was in. And yeah as mentioned the director did some quality movies.

Tasty

« Reply #41154 on: September 20, 2022, 07:52:46 PM »

Hellraiser Reboot

Hellraiser

Reboot

:pika

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41155 on: September 21, 2022, 02:29:50 PM »

The dialog and acting in the first scene is groan-worthy ("If I solve it do I get a prize?" "I do."  :derp ) but I don't think the rest of it looks that bad. Jamie Clayton looks decent as Pinhead. I wish it was still Doug Bradley, but I think that ship has sailed. If nothing else, it looks like it has a higher budget than the last 5 combined.
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tasty

« Reply #41157 on: September 21, 2022, 10:32:03 PM »
To be fair, I trust Mike Flannagan with anything.

On the other hand, The Shining feels something something better left untouched, like Ben-Hur and John Carpenter's The Thing.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41158 on: September 22, 2022, 02:10:39 AM »
Doctor Sleep wasn’t terrible, but there was nothing about it that would make me hungry for more Shiningverse
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41159 on: September 22, 2022, 01:20:48 PM »
I really liked Doctor Sleep  :idont

I haven't read the book its based on - which is apparently fucking terrible - but I have read and seen The Shining, and managing to make a pretty decent sequel to both simultaneously, when the book and the film are such different entities, is pretty damn impressive.

The fact WB are thirsty as fuck to cash in on Kubricks The Shining should be evident to anyone who's seen Ready Player One