Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178183 times)

ShutUp

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40680 on: July 05, 2022, 05:27:27 PM »
Thor reviews really ain't so hot.

Sounds like trying to do the same thing as last time with two separate serious & dark comic storylines handled with a jokey farcical tone doesn't work this time around. I really liked Ragnorak because it was lolz, but even critics that liked Ragnorak a lot seem down on this one as it sounds like the tonal whiplash is way worse.

Oh well, will watch on D+ and laugh at some jokes and move on. Marvel movies/TV definitely got some quality control issues post-endgame. Shang-Chi (at least the first 2/3rds of it) still the main bright spot of this phase.

Yup. Gorr is a fairly miserable type and I can see his seriousness in the same scene with a bunch of jokes turning people off.

Tasty

« Reply #40681 on: July 06, 2022, 12:47:38 AM »
Elvis was everything I expected and not much more. Like most Baz joints I need a few rewatches to settle my thoughts. It's not good in terms of typical film narrative or characterization, no one has much if any depth. (But I didn't expect that going in.) However, there's a lot of fun to be had (obvs) and it packs a lot into ~2.5 hours without actually showing much of the start and end of his life.

Fwiw I brought my mom and dad and they liked it, but one point of critique was how Presley's military service was (re?)interpreted. That said I doubt any 20-something guy would want to join in the circumstances he apparently did. Otherwise, I thought the weird framing device (jibbering Tom Hanks in a hospital gown stumbling through Dream Vegas) and wacky editing (a Luhrmann staple, 'nache) would lose them, but no. And even with shallow characters, the emotional beats seem to hit hard for those who grew up at the same time. Newer generations will probably scratch their heads why so much hubbub was made about the non-President Kennedy getting shot.

Tom Hanks is something you'll just have to get on board with from his first scene. He stays the same level with the same fat+old prosthetics with the same weird-ass accent the entire film.

Awesome music of course. I did laugh when a major story beat was "Elvis makes a protest song!!" and it temporarily revives his career... two or three scenes after semi-dismissing the Beatles, lol. I've always enjoyed Elvis' music and this movie created a new itch to deep dive his discography. One minor nitpick I had is, unless I'm dumb and missed something, there wasn't a single song played the entire way through. Maybe that's the ADHD era we live in now, but it would have been nice if, at a crucial juncture, we slow-start a song and play it the whole way through... Eh.

Between this and Rocketman it's been a good time to be a musical biopic fan. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:06:20 AM by Tasty »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40682 on: July 06, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »
I saw After Yang and I liked it a lot. I guess the short of it is "like a Black Mirror episode but not in a sad sack world" or "Spielberg's AI but tasteful". That's only the second film by the Japanese Korean [Correction] director but it's produced by A24, Sakamoto did the theme, etc so there's a lot of production value. Maybe not everyone will like how low stakes and small focus it is, there's hints of larger things having happened in that SF world but I was on board, personally.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 02:20:43 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #40683 on: July 06, 2022, 04:19:34 PM »
I didn't even know they were making this clear mistake:

Tasty

« Reply #40684 on: July 06, 2022, 06:45:13 PM »

Smith's been yammering on SMODcast since like 2012 about wanting to do it but Jeff Anderson (Dante) didn't want to and didn't want to do Clerks II, thinking the first is a good enough stand-alone indie gem. But Smith had more story to tell and his version of it is that Clerks III will be the most beautiful thing he's ever made and how the idea made all the other actors cry, etc.

But yeah, like Bill Murray and Ghostbusters it wouldn't surprise me if Jeff just got worn down. I don't know if this is the same script as what he was talking about in 2012, but at least some things probably changed as the View Askewniverse has had several more films released that take place in it.

Tasty

« Reply #40685 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:48 PM »
Sarah Michelle Gellar cameo, movie confirmed a must-see.👍

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40686 on: July 06, 2022, 06:55:15 PM »
I can’t even be bothered to be excited, and I say that as someone that likes Clerks 2.  Nothing to do with Smith’s complete idiocy as of late with blameshifting and gaslighting over dumb takes like with what he did for MOTU, either.  I just think over time (probably coincides with his increased weed habits) Kevin Smith has almost entirely lost his ability as a filmmaker, if not writer as well, to examine with a critical eye.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40687 on: July 06, 2022, 07:06:29 PM »
That looks depressingly amateurish and tired.
ὕβρις

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40688 on: July 07, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »
How many AOC jokes are there

spoiler (click to show/hide)
just one
[close]

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #40689 on: July 07, 2022, 09:23:28 AM »

Smith's been yammering on SMODcast since like 2012 about wanting to do it but Jeff Anderson (Dante) didn't want to and didn't want to do Clerks II, thinking the first is a good enough stand-alone indie gem. But Smith had more story to tell and his version of it is that Clerks III will be the most beautiful thing he's ever made and how the idea made all the other actors cry, etc.

But yeah, like Bill Murray and Ghostbusters it wouldn't surprise me if Jeff just got worn down. I don't know if this is the same script as what he was talking about in 2012, but at least some things probably changed as the View Askewniverse has had several more films released that take place in it.

You were still listening to smodcast in 2012? :titus
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 09:39:33 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #40690 on: July 07, 2022, 06:14:01 PM »
I'd catch highlights on YouTube. The TDKR episode had me laughing my 20-year old ass off. (I guess that one was technically the "Fatman on Batman" podcast.)

Bebpo

« Reply #40691 on: July 07, 2022, 06:33:03 PM »
I think as a Kevin Smith fan, Clerks II is when I stopped enjoying his stuff. Still haven't watched the latest Silent Bob film.

Golden-era Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy/Clerk's Animated Series/Dogma was so good. Then everything got...just ok in terms of writing & jokes. Maybe it was a sequels thing since Clerks II and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back were already heading downward.

Tasty

« Reply #40692 on: July 07, 2022, 07:18:40 PM »
I liked Clerks II.

Red State/Tusk era is when I started disliking his stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #40693 on: July 07, 2022, 07:29:43 PM »
Most people like Clerks II. I always felt like the odd man out back then in that the movie didn't do much for me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 08:02:04 PM by Bebpo »

Tasty

« Reply #40694 on: July 07, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »
Ha, most people I've talked to about it dislike it. :P

I guess it's technically Fresh on RT.

benjipwns

« Reply #40695 on: July 07, 2022, 07:43:38 PM »
Couldn't go back to "real world" Clerks after the Animated Series. You can't show me utter perfection and then expect me to accept something merely average.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #40696 on: July 07, 2022, 10:39:33 PM »
Real interesting that members of the bore enjoyed Kevin Smith when he was an enormous fatty and could no longer connect with his movies when he lost weight. Interesting indeed.
:O

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #40697 on: July 08, 2022, 06:58:27 AM »
Wasn't he at his fattest in the red state era  :snob

that was around the time he got kicked off a plane for being a fatty boom batty wasn't it?
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40698 on: July 08, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
Still haven't watched the latest Silent Bob film.

Its kinda interesting that both Jay & Silent Bob 2 and Bill and Ted 3 have veeeeeeery similar premises in being old men who didn't achieve what they were expected to and are now reliving past glories for the sake of letting their daughters fulfill their potential.

Jay & Silent Bob 2 has a muthafucking MC Chris song on the soundtrack too

Tasty

« Reply #40699 on: July 08, 2022, 12:37:58 PM »
Bill & Ted are too wholesome for that premise to really work. Jay & Silent Bob on the other hand have always been pathetic.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40700 on: July 09, 2022, 06:36:12 AM »
Thor is fun but forgettable...like most of the MCU to be honest.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #40701 on: July 09, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »
Thor Love and Thunder

Can pretty much echo the reviews. I liked the comedic tone of Ragnarok but somewhere in this movie it flipped into feeling like it was just try hard. For the amount of jokes the movie fires off only very few hit for me.
Most of the movie I kept thinking back to James Gunn's Suicide Squad and Peacemaker where he just does a so much more elegant job at combining comedic moments and those with genuine heart.

Overall it's not an awful movie, just mid, but I think when a comedy doesn't succeed we tend to feel more annoyed by it
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 02:15:07 PM by HaughtyFrank »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40702 on: July 09, 2022, 02:36:39 PM »
Also saw
Competencia oficial a rich Spanish millionaire starts to worry about his legacy and decides to bankroll a film. He spends a pretty penny on a Nobel prize winning novel (he hasn't read) and to recruit a cult director (Penelope Cruz), a mainstream movie star (Banderas) and a snobbish celebrated stage actor (Oscar Martinez). The two actors couldn't be more opposed and the rehearsals are tense...
Directed by a duo of Argentines and while there's definitely funny sequences (hard to miss with such a trio and a good location) it ultimately meanders quite a bit and fizzles out into too lazy a satire. It's not 1:1 but I thought The Square which is also set in contemporary art was a lot more biting and on point.

Decision to Leave by Park Chan Wook. As always it's very nicely directed and it mostly works but I thought it was really long in the tooth for what it was. Vertigo-but-modern-Korean-cinema vibes.

Two Damiano Damiani films I liked a lot, La Rimpatria & Confessione di un commissario di polizia al procuratore della repubblica. The first one is more of a melancholic friends réunion turning sour in post war Italia, the second a crime movie not unlike what F.Rosi could have done, starring Martin Balsam and Franco Nero.

As Tears go by by WKW. His first feature I think ? Mixes his style with a heroic bloodshed type of triad film. I liked it a lot and I rate it rather at the top of his films. Andy Lau, Maggie Cheung and some glowing late 80s aesthetic.

Junk Head I think I mentioned that one already ? Awesome Japanese stop motion SF movie done by mostly just one guy.

Also saw ten films of the series Tora-san so far (there's a full retrospective going on here), I'll maybe try to sum that up.
ὕβρις

ShutUp

« Reply #40703 on: July 09, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »
Taika was definitely allowed to go full Taika with this Thor after the success of Ragnarok and far too often this time it was like “ok haha yes it’s a bit funny, get on with the movie now please”

Bale as you’d expect gives it his all with what he has to work with, wish we had gotten a scene or two of some actual god butchering after the initial scene though. Everything with Gorr and the more serious Thor/Jane stuff was the tone I wish had dominated most of the movie. Those parts are when the movie was working best, at least for me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40704 on: July 09, 2022, 05:25:17 PM »
I'd watch a whole movie of Russell Crowe camping it up as Zeus to be honest. However, tonally, it stood out like dogs balls when you've got the more serious storylines going on.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40705 on: July 09, 2022, 05:46:09 PM »
Bill Burr presents Friends Who Kill
This was very hit and miss. More of a variety thing but the acts didn't really work together. The audience seemed bored by the end of it for good reason.
Some acts were too short, others too long and you could tell by the camera cuts they had to edit the hell out of this thing to make it work.
In the end all they killed were the ratings. Even though I appreciate Burr giving some new talent a spotlight he would've gotten much better results with Rogan and some other old timers or maybe mix the old with the new.

Snoop Doggs' Fucking Around Comedy Special
Now this was fucking great. Snoop Dogg pulled together a group of talented comedians to do some great comedy. Great pacing too, I would say each act was the perfect length.
Everyone seemed to be having a good time including Snoop who got more high as it went on and thus the banter in between the acts got better too.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40706 on: July 10, 2022, 11:12:03 AM »
The sea beast was good.  On par with a lot of dreamworks stuff.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:22:09 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Quaker

« Reply #40708 on: July 10, 2022, 10:29:27 PM »
Competencia oficial a rich Spanish millionaire starts to worry about his legacy and decides to bankroll a film. He spends a pretty penny on a Nobel prize winning novel (he hasn't read) and to recruit a cult director (Penelope Cruz), a mainstream movie star (Banderas) and a snobbish celebrated stage actor (Oscar Martinez). The two actors couldn't be more opposed and the rehearsals are tense...
Directed by a duo of Argentines and while there's definitely funny sequences (hard to miss with such a trio and a good location) it ultimately meanders quite a bit and fizzles out into too lazy a satire. It's not 1:1 but I thought The Square which is also set in contemporary art was a lot more biting and on point.
Hmm, I though this was an Almodovar for some reason. Kinda glad it's not. Still waiting for The Good Boss/ El buen patrón to be available over here since I wanted a Spanish Bardem performance to wash out his unfortunate role in that Amazon/Aaron Sorkin "I Love Lucy" movie...

As Tears go by by WKW. His first feature I think ? Mixes his style with a heroic bloodshed type of triad film. I liked it a lot and I rate it rather at the top of his films. Andy Lau, Maggie Cheung and some glowing late 80s aesthetic.
I think this is the one with the Chinese cover of "the song from Top Gun" that's kinda like Mean Streets? I really liked it too as a genre piece that wasn't trying to be too profound.

If you haven't seen it, Tapei Story is one my favorite examples of that 80s vaporwave-adjacent  a e s t h e t i c.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40709 on: July 10, 2022, 10:51:18 PM »
Yes that's the "Take my breath away" one. I think Fallen Angels is a more complete execution of the same sort of idea (mixing some pseudo edgy HK hitman movie with the extremely whimsical antics of Kaneshiro). I haven't checked dates but's a really early main role for Jackie Cheung IIRC, probably for Maggie Cheung too (she has a faint mustache in this) and it's really more 80s in aesthetics than later films even if the difference can seem pretty minute to some.
I'll keep an eye out for Taipei Story.
I'd say most WKW is not "deep" in that it's really about moments, details and moods.
El Buen Patron looks like fun.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:17:22 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40710 on: July 10, 2022, 10:57:04 PM »
The Sadness - Taiwanese movie.  Watch if you want over the top body horror.  Other than that it wasn't great and a bit too rapey.

Lady gets her eye poked out by an umbrella then eye raped  :-\
[close]

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sadness_2021

Bebpo

« Reply #40711 on: July 11, 2022, 02:53:14 AM »
Everything Everywhere All At Once was good. Liked the WKW world. The rock one was pretty great too as was the racoon bit. Good performances and pretty well written & directed.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40712 on: July 11, 2022, 07:45:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/MauLer93/status/1546138904889278464

:doge

https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/um7g6f/i_am_quite_frankly_sick_and_tired_of_working_on/

This was one of those moments where I wasn't entirely sure if it's meant to look awful as a joke or was just bad. No such excuse for the helmets though. No idea why you would even do those in CG. The way the eyes are lit looks so weird

Considering all this talk about how Marvel constantly changes stuff it wouldn't surprise me if it was some last minute idea to add a helmet

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40713 on: July 11, 2022, 07:47:52 AM »
With recent talk about this, having the mask in full CG allow more flexibility to just change the final design almost completely if you want the flexibility to do so and that's certainly the Marvel philosophy.

Not having to commit to anything until the very last stage of production is very enticing.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40714 on: July 11, 2022, 07:55:57 AM »
Oh well, will watch on D+ and laugh at some jokes and move on. Marvel movies/TV definitely got some quality control issues post-endgame. Shang-Chi (at least the first 2/3rds of it) still the main bright spot of this phase.

I'm with you on Thor and will just wait to watch it at home.  No rush.

Spider-Man No Way Home and Dr. Strange 2 are the best movies of this 'phase' IMO, which generally has just felt directionless apart from the Loki TV series and the multiverse stuff introduced.  But most of these movies and shows seem to have little or nothing to do with that and are just kind of there.

I know we've discussed this stuff before and I know they have a whole system and don't want to lose money by shutting productions down, but when Disney bought Fox and got the rights back to Marvel film properties they had, they should have scrapped all these "phase 4" d-list tier character movies like The Eternals and gotten to work on X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the like.
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40715 on: July 11, 2022, 08:01:02 AM »
I don't know that "directionless" is really the issue though the "build up" was certainly a carrot to justify people being invested and the whole thing having a purpose despite being churned out at so industrious a rate that compromises on individual quality were always going to happen.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:10:04 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40716 on: July 11, 2022, 08:33:46 AM »
For the films it seems they try to offset the issue with hiring higher profile names to bring some flair, I don't know if it's working though.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40717 on: July 11, 2022, 08:48:12 AM »
I saw お吟さま Ogin-sama by Kinuyo Tanaka, legendary Japanese actress (plenty of work with Ozu, Naruse and Mizoguchi) that also directed 6 films, this one being the last in 1962.
It's a period drama set in the Sengoku era revolving around Japanese adopting Christian beliefs while Hideyoshi is pretty hostile to it. Gin is the daughter of the court's tea ceremony master, impossibly in love with already married & Christian-noble Ukon (Tetsuya Nakadai) and thrust into a loveless marriage with a local merchant.
I thought the film was a little dull to be honest, though not for any lack of craft. There's one very good sequence, when Gin is summoned by Hideyoshi in his gaudy, lavish all gold tea pavillion to ostensibly be made a sex slave. The scene is great at making the whole scene ominous, there's a world map on the wall to compliment how power hungry Hideyoshi is and how it translates to just making open threats to get what he wants when Gin stay firm in refusing. Sadly I didn't feel the movie hit these sort of highs often despite being competent.

All 6 of her films have been restored (not the most thorough job but budget probably was a factor) and it seems it's making the rounds internationally.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40718 on: July 11, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »
I don't know that "directionless" is really the issue though the "build up" was certainly a carrot to justify people being invested and the whole thing having a purpose despite being churned out at so industrious a rate that compromises on individual quality were always going to happen.

All the previous films slowly built up to setting up The Avengers, then the infinity stones, then Thanos.  Post Endgame has felt mostly like one unending epilogue to that movie, like they just can't move past it.  We got literally teased with multiverse shit, then they finally did it, but it has been restricted to one TV series and two movies.  They've also teased Victoria Hand recruiting for what will presumably be the film version of the Dark Avengers.  Not much else really happening.  I guess the post-credits scene in Shang-Chi might mean something?  Maybe?  And then there's the Skrull stuff which also hasn't been touched on since the second Spider-Man movie.
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40719 on: July 11, 2022, 09:02:14 AM »
Oh for sure they definitely try to scratch that itch for you and yes it's an issue because just like in comics form there's only so much crossover-of-the-year you can do because it gets tired too. It's obviously the correct commercial strategy to tease people into watching more of the film's and shows, our human brains love this.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40720 on: July 11, 2022, 10:10:52 AM »
Oh for sure they definitely try to scratch that itch for you and yes it's an issue because just like in comics form there's only so much crossover-of-the-year you can do because it gets tired too. It's obviously the correct commercial strategy to tease people into watching more of the film's and shows, our human brains love this.

It's starting to fizzle out with me.  I don't have a lot of interest in most of their TV stuff and some of these movies whereas before I'd go watch everything.
ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40721 on: July 11, 2022, 11:31:19 AM »
Maybe there could be a seperate thread for MCU, DCU, and Star Wars crap, and then combine the TV and Movies thread.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40722 on: July 11, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »
The Tale of Zatoichi (1962) - Was good. It's just a simple samurai vs samurai showdown flick, but the two samurai characters are good and the rest of the film is solid. Works as a first movie. I've never seen any of the originals, just the Beat Takeshi 2003 remake, so will be interesting to see how much better they get from here.

Action scenes were kind of hokey is the most dated part. Like playing with paper swords. Character stuff is still good.

I couldn't give you the titles but I saw half a dozen of them (including this one) and Zatoichi is just a really solid, constant series. I'm not aware there's shit ones.
Obviously the Misumi directed ones rank pretty high. The 21th film 座頭市あばれ火祭り(Shadow's Shogun in English ?) was often cited but I haven't seen it.
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40723 on: July 11, 2022, 02:52:22 PM »
It's not like this thread moves so fast there isn't room for people to express their disappointment that Dr Strange Multiverse Of Madness is a bit shit given the premise and the director and other people to express their disappointment that 3000 Years of Longing is a bit shit given the premise and the director

:idont

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40724 on: July 11, 2022, 03:21:30 PM »
So as I said, there's a full retrospective here of the 男はつらいよ "It's hard to be a man" series, known colloquially as Tora-san. The film series started in 1969 (based off a TV series where Torajiro was more of a Yakuza thug type, IIRC. I think this one is listed as lost footage.) and lasted up to 1997 plus an homage / clip show film in 2019, to close on a 50th film for the 50th anniversary.
The main actor, Kiyoshi Atsumi, stars in all films expect the homage one (he died late 90s) and 46 or 48 (I got conflicting info and I am not counting by myself) of the films were directed by Yōji Yamada.
Tora-san is Torajiro Kuruma, a middle age bachelor & itinerant salesman. Tora is always short on cash and goes to the four corners of Japan to try to offload products at the various festivals. He irregularly goes back to his birthplace and family home / pastry shop in Shibamata, Tokyo kept by his uncle and aunt. He also has a saintly sister, Sakura. She's married to Hiroshi who works in the printing workshop that is in the backyard (literally) and Tora has a nephew. The boss of the printing company, nicknamed The Squid (Takoyaki) also drops by to sample the food, insert himself in discussions and lament about how he's in the red.

I only started to see films starting at episode 11 so can't really comment if the early ones follow the same template but there's definitely a formula :
- Pre-credits will be a movie spoof or pastiche (chambara, UFO movies, Jaws...) featuring the main cast, generally revealed to be Tora dreaming as he sleeps in a field or shrine. Favorite one is the flying saucer sci-fi one where the characters are amazed that the spaceship (shaped like Tora's hat) works despite the budget limitations "of not being an American movie".
- Credits will roll over the main theme song, with Tora marching the banks of the Edo river back to his home and generally causing some mild havoc for bystanders here.
- Tora drops by his family but some innocuous slight or misunderstanding will have Tora mortally wounded in his pride, prompting him to leave (to eat / drink outside / back on the roads). For instance the family is feeding a stray dog who adopted them and they called him Tora.
-Tora will meet a woman he falls for but those never ever pan out.
- Tora will leave again due to heartbreak while his sister get to visit the woman who generally is now happily married / living her life. The various love interests are often played by famous actresses and a couple come back several times.

From the middle of the series they sometimes mix it up with Tora playing matchmaker or acting as a father figure, and he doesn't necessarily have a love plot of his own (though that's rare).
With as rapid a pace of production and releases, in some ways it's a continuous soap opera (the nephew grows up realistically, to name one aspect) but with the production values of a feature film by a big studio (in this case, the Shochiku company). Having the same director and I imagine crew for all of those probably helps keeping the visuals so consistent. All films so far have been in glorious scope, vivid colours and fantastic stylism, a joy to watch if you like Japanese films of that era. I expected the early 80s films to decline/shift visually as a lot of movies did worldwide around that time but so far it has not happened.
Oh and the whole series received stellar work in restoration (by Imagica) for the 50th anniversary. Like... Near flawless. Maybe they were lucky and all the film stock elements were in peak condition but still impressive.

As you may have guessed, Tora-san is a bit of an ideal self reflection of Japan. Almost each new film deals with a new locale where Tora go doing his sales thing, creating a diorama of the land-of-contrasts that is the province. Tora is a drifter, an outcast and not a model Japanese citizen but he has a massive heart of gold plus a form of earnestness that really wins everyone over. He's incredibly gracious about getting turned down (though he always flees to cope) which helps in toning down the potential cringe of a perpetual failing borderline nice-guy.
His family are hard workers, incredibly kind people, the shop is an intergenerational home almost. Sakura and Hiroshi deal with mortgage and buying a small home issues, Hiroshi can be a little vocal about labor conditions... There's definitely a neighborhood life and natural solidarity at work. The series is not incredibly socially militant but all those small things help make the characters feel real and sympathetic.

Episode 11, 1973
男はつらいよ 私の寅さん, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Watashi no tora-san?"A song of drifting"
Tora meets an itinerant cabaret singer. They got great chemistry and bond over their similar nature.
The cabaret singer, Lily (Kiyoko Matsuoka), comes back a couple of time in the series, she and Tora even live together in an episode I missed. The romance is pretty touching as they share the same sort of life. There's an hilarious subplot where Tora get so entranced by the real work, real lives of peasants he becomes a farm hand only to fall gravely ill after a solid day of field work (his sister have to tow him out back to Tokyo).

Episode 14, 1974
男はつらいよ 寅次郎子守唄, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō komoriuta "Pains of fatherhood"
Tora meets a lone father who unexpectedly dumps his baby on him while scouting off. He crushes on the nurse helping them at the local clinic.
This one I don't remember a lot of. The floor of quality of all the films I saw is really high though, so even if I forgot bits of it was fine.

Episode 17, 1976
男はつらいよ 寅次郎夕焼け小焼け, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō yūyake koyake "The red dragonfly"
Tora meets and help an old man who is seemingly homeless. The senior is so drunk he takes Tora's bedroom for an inn. When he wants to apologize, Tora realizes the man is actually one of the greatest painter of the times. Tora also befriend a geisha who was scammed by a corrupt promoter.
This one I really liked a lot, on the other hand. The plot is pretty rich, dense and the pacing is really good. The love interest (a fiery, loudmouth geisha played by an awesome Kiwako Taichi) is introduced fairly late, as is the whole "famous painter" reveal. Every subplot converge by the end and it is all pretty heartfelt despite the love story being a little stealthy (it's not said out loud and no one is sad by the end). Tora meeting "national living treasures" / famous artists and artisans becomes a bit of a recurrent plot point though so far that's the only one I saw.

Episode 19, 1977
男はつらいよ 寅次郎と殿様, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō to tonosama "Milord"
Tora crushes on a young mourning lady while on his travel. He also befriend an old man who turns out to be the heir of the local aristocratic lineage. Tora accepts to look for the estranged widow of the lord's son in Tokyo...
This episode is overtly fueled by the comedic interaction between Tora, the Lord (who in classic fashion he doesn't know at first who he is and treats as a fellow common man with his usual kindness) and the posh butler who tries to chase Tora out of the mansion. Big shock : The grieving widow of the beginning is the Lord's step-daughter. The reconciliation is touching.

Episode 20, 1977
男はつらいよ 寅次郎頑張れ!, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō ganbare! "The matchmaker"
Tora acts as a matchmaker between a shy electrician that is renting his room and the young waitress of the restaurant he eats at. Some lassive misunderstanding have the young man running back to his home. Tora goes to support him but crushes hard for his older sister.
I think it's the first time Tora is made a matchmaker. It works and having two love stories make the plot thick enough.

Episode 21, 1978
男はつらいよ 寅次郎わが道をゆく, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō wagamichi o yuku "Stage entrance"
Tora falls for an old friend of his sister, who so now happens to be a music hall dancer for the Shochiku troupe. In parallel some young redneck doofus that took Tora as his seduction coach is also trying to wow a younger dancer.
Can't help but feel there's some cross promotion for Shochiku going on here, with extensive sequences of the dancing company performing. It's a nice change of pace though for the series to be set in this showbiz world, with the love interest struggling to decide between being happily married or pursuing her career further (despite the job getting harder and harder as she ages). The dufus guy Tora mentors is a little too much on the comedic style of things (he constantly gets dumped by girls he wasn't really with to begin with), has a Star Wars cap and overall harks back to a form of 70s humour that didn't age very well.

Episode 23, 1979
男はつらいよ 翔んでる寅次郎, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Tonderu Torajirō "Guardian angel"
Tora meets an aloof young woman in his travels, whom he saves from rape. She's due to her arranged wedding (she's high bourgeoisie) but hates the idea. She transforms into a runaway bride in the middle of the ceremony and takes refuge at Tora's family home.
Sexual assault is turned into a joke (Tora "hilariously" blackmail the would be rapist for free hotel rooms) in manners that wouldn't fly as well today. The rest of the film is fine, the fiance does a lot of soul searching and decides to quit his comfy life (losing his heritage and family company cushy job) to live as a working guy. In the end the young couple marry, once more with feeling, in a small ceremony presided by Tora himself and his family.

Episode 24, 1979
はつらいよ 寅次郎春の夢, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō haru no yume "The american"
An american itinerant salesman (Herb Adelman from The Golden Girls) trying to push vitamins in Japan is down on his luck. He ends up lodging at Tora's family who instantly warm up to how kind he us. When Tora, who hates America, comes back he fucking hates it though. He does behave himself after crushing on the mother of the english teacher of his nephew who acts as a go between for communication.
Made even weirder by the English spoken parts not being subtitled in French for some reason. The joke is of course that Tora hates the poor guy (who also falls for Tora's sister !) when they're mirror images of one another, sporting the same jacket-hat-luggage combo. The American only tries to support his mother back in Alabama and finally goes home to tend to his own heartbreak. Of course he and Tora ultimately do bond even if they can't speak to each other. Sorta expected Tora to drift in Alabama, sadly.

Episode 26, 1980
男はつらいよ 寅次郎かもめ歌, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō kamome uta "A strange father"
One of Tora's itinerant salesman acquaintance dies and Tora chaperons his daughter back to Tokyo so that she can attend night school and pursue her dreams of a diploma. Tora, who also dropped from school young, get the learning bug too...
No love story and a more tragic backstory of itinerant salesmen having hard, poor lifes that pop up in two episodes from now. Maybe because the character is aging and becoming more and more of an hardened bachelor as years go by ? It's fine but I think the next one works better.

Episode 28, 1981
男はつらいよ 寅次郎紙風船, Otoko wa tsurai yo: Torajirō kamifūsen "The promise"
Tora takes under his wing a runaway kid on his travels. He also promise one of his colleagues to marry his wife once he dies of a terminal illness... Which happens within the month. Tora got humiliated at a reunion of his school and really thinks about settling down.
Same premise as episode 26 kinda. The runaway teen is just adorable and infectious. The whole settling down / being the black sheep of the community theme is explored more meaningfully. The love story is appropriately tragic and a little sour (they really like each other just fine but as she said "My husband asking you to promise this... Feels a bit like being treated as a pet or a commodity. I'm relieved you only said this to appease a dying man's wish").

I'll probably see a handful more.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:51:45 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #40725 on: July 11, 2022, 04:24:26 PM »
Just saw Everything Everywhere All at Once and I loved it, felt especially connected to Evelynn herself actually. Kinda hit an emotional snare
What

benjipwns

« Reply #40726 on: July 11, 2022, 10:01:59 PM »
All the previous films slowly built up to setting up The Avengers, then the infinity stones, then Thanos.  Post Endgame has felt mostly like one unending epilogue to that movie, like they just can't move past it.  We got literally teased with multiverse shit, then they finally did it, but it has been restricted to one TV series and two movies.  They've also teased Victoria Hand recruiting for what will presumably be the film version of the Dark Avengers.  Not much else really happening.  I guess the post-credits scene in Shang-Chi might mean something?  Maybe?  And then there's the Skrull stuff which also hasn't been touched on since the second Spider-Man movie.
I think the funny thing, especially with all the talk from fans that "this must be part of the masterplan" is that the original Avengers hook was just something Jon Faverau threw into Iron Man, Marvel realized it was pretty cool and then said "what can we hint up to with more of these" and Feige said Thanos and then he took over so was able to do it. But literally nothing in any of the films except the MacGuffin's being the Infinity Stones did anything to advance that plot until Thanos actually did show up thirty-seven films in. Once the Avengers... assemble... (groaaaaaaaaaan ban benji and kill him) they just dick around for a few movies adding more characters and then Thanos shows up. They had already hijacked Captain America's movies to fill them with other characters and eventually all the Avengers and Spider-Man but none of it was really all that important to getting to Thanos it was just killing time from the vantage point of a larger story arc.

There's nothing to build up to now because there probably actually is nothing to build up to. All their teases in almost everything since the original Thanos tease have been teases about the next upcoming films not some grand story in the works. They told you they were going to do Thanos, then they announced Infinity War, then they eventually got to it. Until they announce the Phase Five or even Phase Six slate and I assume until they know what they're doing with Fantastic Four and X-Men, they probably won't actually be teasing to anything they'll mostly ignore until fifty-six movies later when they show it. Dropping in references or easter eggs to other things from the comics and then down the road somebody picking up those strands is cool and fun but it's not really a masterplan. Even the "rival" DCEU which actually had somebody plot out a (failed) plan was really just one Academy Award winning dude's quintology rather than some elaborate plan for an entire film franchise over many years even though they claimed that Geoff Johns was doing this. (He was not.)

Regarding the Skrull stuff, they're doing Secret Invasion as a Disney+ series.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40727 on: July 11, 2022, 10:40:01 PM »
Almost nothing in Phase 4 has mattered and most of it could have been dealt with in a 30 minute TV episode.

The worst part about it is that almost all of the new characters have contributed to the ridiculous power level creep that has been making these films more and more stupid.

Films
  • Black Widow (2021) - She was already dead when they made this and it added nothing
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - Half decent film, but did nothing but add a new character
  • Eternals (2021) - trash film and nothing added outside of adding new overpowered characters
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) - Nostalgia trip. Hey there's a multiverse, but not really.
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) - Boring film and nothing that couldn't have been effectively introduced as part of a TV episode
  • Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) - Fun and silly film, but so what? Didn't add anything to the overarching storyline that I remember.
TV shows

• WandaVision (2021) - Cool show. Best of the bunch, but really was just a prologue for Dr Strange (or maybe Dr Strange was a postscript...)
  • The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (2021) - What was the point of this other than introducing culture war stuff? A lot of people who didn't watch are going to be confused when Falcon is suddenly Captain America.
  • Loki (2021-TBA) - Alongside WandaVision, the only other show that matters. Still, most of it was just fanservice and didn't really matter in the end outside of knowing that Loki is alive.
  • What If...? (2021-TBA) - literally nobody watched this and the only payoff was a few easter eggs
  • Hawkeye (2021) - Haven't watched it. Did I miss anything important? I doubt it.
  • Moon Knight (2022) - The very definition of meaningless
  • Ms. Marvel (2022) - Cool series and I like the character, but it has been very self-contained.
Upcoming films
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) - This is going to be a mess without Boseman. I predict a very short theatrical run and an excuse to hand over the BP mantle to another character.
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023) - Maybe this will have some impact on the overarching storyline, but I doubt they would trust an Ant Man film to be the vehicle to drive the story, just like they have not trusted the TV shows to do it.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023) - This will be another disconnected film that maybe teases the big bad
  • The Marvels (2023) - Can Kamala save Captain Marvel from obscurity? I doubt it. Might get a little bit of teasing about the existential threat.
  • Fantastic Four (TBA) - Likely to be the big reveal of the big bad.
  • Blade (TBA) - Why are they giving Blade his own movie? I expect it to be about as meaningful as Black Widow and will likely be set after the big reveal with nothing progressing the story because "wait until phase 5!!!!!!".
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #40728 on: July 11, 2022, 11:15:19 PM »
So long as I’m entertained, I don’t care about the macro franchise story. Truer to say I care even less now looking at the list and noticing how many I missed.

I’ll admit I’ve considered watching Black Widow after listening to an early 2020 interview with David Harbour. I like him. Watched 20 minutes of hellboy on a plane thinking he could inject life into it. Anyway, I’m interested because it was right when COVID panic was starting. They spoke about the movie having a virus as a plot line and how it’d play differently. I know of other projects that removed similar plots. He also called the movie stupid for how they dealt with speaking Russian. Scenes with a Russian accent are
 meant to be in Russian but Scarlett didn’t want to do an accent so it’s awkward.

The upcoming stuff? I like Mahershala Ali, so there’s Blade. Black Panther 2 is missing highlights from the first movie, but Ryan Coogler is talented. Think the Spider-Man guy is doing Fantastic Four? That can go either way.

benjipwns

« Reply #40729 on: July 11, 2022, 11:21:26 PM »
Think the Spider-Man guy is doing Fantastic Four? That can go either way.
Dropped out because he's burned out on superhero movies, they haven't found a replacement yet.

Tasty

« Reply #40730 on: July 11, 2022, 11:22:11 PM »
Phase 4 is a mess because it's a new Phase 1. Things will settle down and cohere in Phases 5 and 6... or they won't and we'll finally have a respite from goddamn superhero movies (and I say that as a DC fanboy and MCU fan).

Either way, we win. :elon

PS- Based on how they're treating it I don't expect the multiverse to last past Phase 6, possibly even the Phase 4 finale (Avengers 5?) They're gonna Crisis on Infinite Earths this shit and market the whole thing back to normies as being "approachable Marvel again." The new universe will be more grounded (less 2040s tech and more realistic stuff), with all the changes fans liked and none of the ones they hated. Feige is a smart cookie.

Book it. Fashion is cyclical and so is showbiz.

Bebpo

« Reply #40731 on: July 12, 2022, 01:58:16 AM »
The Northman was pretty fucking awesome.

Who knew Robert Eggers would be the only director who could probably make a legit God of War movie. 3 for 3 now with his films.

I'd say the only negative is that The Green Knight came out before this. This is waaaaay better directed/written than Green Knight but Green Knight every shot is art and cinematography in this kinda pales in comparison to that as similar style movies.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40732 on: July 12, 2022, 07:28:35 AM »
https://twitter.com/LanceStLaurent/status/1546518577389490177

lol

I think part of why Thor Ragnarok worked better was because it relegated most of the silliness to that junk planet and parts of Asgard.

« Reply #40733 on: July 12, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »
Don't know if this has been discussed yet. Also, don't begrudge any one his opinion, but man...

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g13441903/all-marvel-cinematic-universe-movies-ranked/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Marvel has made some good, not great,  and entertaining movies. But its great victory is bamboozling the weak-minded into believing some of its films are important.

Tasty

« Reply #40734 on: July 12, 2022, 03:15:00 PM »
I think pulpy, optimistic media is always going to be in vogue for the masses and there's nothing wrong with that.

The weirdos who take it too far are the problem, and they always are.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40735 on: July 12, 2022, 04:24:09 PM »

:whoo
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40736 on: July 12, 2022, 06:21:14 PM »
Mr.Klein (1976) by Joseph Losey
Robert Klein (Alain Delon) is an art merchant. And in Paris, 1942, his business is booming thanks to many people willing to sell in an hurry and without making too much of a fuss even at discounted rates... One morning though the mailman delivers the subscriber-only, & duly followed by police authorities, "Jewish Information" newspaper at his doorstep. Robert Klein goes on a frantic investigation to find the seemingly homonymous person and dissociate himself as soon as possible...

I've always been harsh on Alain Delon as an actor. Despite a legendary resume, he's often exhibiting a narrow range -which works well in the right roles- and floating on his good looks. It's not exactly an original opinion and I suppose it was already true in 1976 because he's the head producer as well, maybe to mount a prestige drama vehicle ? This is an excellent, subdued yet rich, performance of a man suddenly thrust into an unspoken but well understood mortal danger, an identity crisis and paranoia. The opening scene have him haggling a painting and there's a lot of nuances as he's both merciless but obviously a little ashamed of profiteering off the backs of desperate French Jews. The film is not a fantasy but the other Mr.Klein is this mysterious, ghostly doppelganger with whom he keeps crossing paths and narrowly missing which sometimes creates genuine disorientation and confusion.

The backdrop and ticking time bomb is that while Mr.Klein is trying to prove he's not Mr.Klein (outright refusing to pass a medical and phrenology exam to be certified as a non-Semite), the police is secretly planning La rafle du Vel' d'Hiv', the mass arrest of Parisian Jews to ship them to Germany. The whole feature is inhabited by a sense of dread, with no one willing to address out loud the elephant in the room but everyone obviously being fully aware of what the German occupation means and entails. In a sequence where Mr.Klein tries to probe his father, he's first very reluctant to say his issues with the police are linked to his suspected Jewishness... Then his father is very adamant the family has been French and Catholic for centuries but his body language is a lot more uncertain. The film never gives a final answer (likewise when Klein's girlfriend is obviously very distraught by the antisemitic cabaret show they're watching) and really it doesn't matter because the ignominious injustice he's caught up in goes way beyond his person, although it's unclear what Klein really thinks about it as he's obsessed by finding the other person, drifting farther and farther from the wrong side of the fence.

He literally ignores his lawyer that could save him in the nick of time to pursue Mr.Klein 2 directly into the cattle cars for Germany.
[close]

The film is written by Franco Solinas (a couple of legendary Pontecorvo or Costa Gavras scripts) & directed by Joseph Losey which I am not too familiar with. I did see his -surprisingly almost as good as the original- remake of Fritz Lang's M which obviously evokes the same sort of feelings. The film makes great use of ominous, ornate, heavy locations. The photography by Gerry Fischer (I liked a lot what he did on Malpertuis) is less vivid than equivalent Italian films -Thinking of Le Conformiste here- but there's a masterful use of a more grey-brown palette alongside touches of color that fits well with the tone. You have impressive camera work. Impressive period dressing. Snappy dialog. And I thought the sound design choices were really distinct and notable too : The film introduces the protagonist through a muffled, half covered conversation in another room. No music on end credits... Choices like that.

Definitely one of the most impressive films I've seen this year.

(The trailer is a little anachronistic and not faithful but you know... It's the latest restoration footage as well.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:50:32 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40737 on: July 12, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »
https://loudandclearreviews.com/mr-klein-review/

This review better articulates some of the things I thought.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40738 on: July 12, 2022, 09:56:13 PM »
The Sadness - Taiwanese movie.  Watch if you want over the top body horror.  Other than that it wasn't great and a bit too rapey.

Lady gets her eye poked out by an umbrella then eye raped  :-\
[close]

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sadness_2021

That spoiler tells me that I will never watch this movie. Good grief.

benjipwns

« Reply #40739 on: July 12, 2022, 10:33:18 PM »
Don't know if this has been discussed yet. Also, don't begrudge any one his opinion, but man...

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g13441903/all-marvel-cinematic-universe-movies-ranked/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Marvel has made some good, not great,  and entertaining movies. But its great victory is bamboozling the weak-minded into believing some of its films are important.
Why is this written by two people yet uses "I" a bunch?

The order's incorrect but I was surprised it got three of the top four correct.

Also:
It's sad that the idea of Captain America punching a Nazi would probably be controversial if this movie were released today.
:popular