Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4181145 times)

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40500 on: May 16, 2022, 11:21:59 PM »
Eh Matrix was always marketing as scifi-action, yes with a kung-fu bent, but even if the central "What is the Matrix?" question was never answered in the marketing, it was certainly asked.

Otherwise, agreed, the internet has changed things. Feige keeping as much secret as he has (Sony leaks and Tom Holland interviews notwithstanding) is fairly commendable, in an Apple-like way. Like even if overall I believe in more transparency and freedom of information, I've come to believe a withheld experience can be a more valuable experience... sometimes.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40501 on: May 16, 2022, 11:23:38 PM »
I've been pretty excited about Prey since I hear the premise but since the whole premise of the movie is a spoiler I didn't want to say anything. Their initial plan was to drop the movie without referencing the... y'know... so audiences could be surprised like in the good ol' days. I remember Quentin Tarentino talking about how The Matrix was pre-internet, and the trailers marketed it as a kung-fu movie, so the whole Machine/A.I. reveal was an actual reveal, and not something you knew going in to see the movie.

Nah man, it was very much out in the open that it was a science fiction film and that "the matrix" was some sort of VR world.

The only reveal was the whole human battery thing.

EDIT: Beaten by Tasty's kung fu
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #40502 on: May 16, 2022, 11:27:52 PM »
EDIT: Beaten by Tasty's kung fu

Polident Hive

« Reply #40503 on: May 16, 2022, 11:47:17 PM »
This interview with Matt Reeves talking Batman revealed they brought in actors who weren’t in scenes, to pretend to be in scenes, to fake out people obsessed with set photos. Surely it worked on one or two people.

There’s also Tenet. Nolan’s reasoning for the names and actors was so audiences wouldn’t be certain of the true lead. Could it be Robert Pattinson? Could it be Aaron Taylor Johnson? Or could it be John David Washington, the guy all that marketing was focused on? Who can say.

To his credit, Interstellar might’ve been the last notable surprise moment in a movie of its scale.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #40504 on: May 16, 2022, 11:55:57 PM »
The greatest fake out to reveal in film history is still John Harrison in Star Trek Into Darkness. JJ is a master at his craft.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #40505 on: May 17, 2022, 08:13:04 PM »

Come on guys, this has to be one of the best secret movie marketing attempts.

Tasty

« Reply #40506 on: May 17, 2022, 08:30:33 PM »
Multiverse of Madness
[close]

15 seconds and it's easily my favorite part of the film.

Bebpo

« Reply #40508 on: May 18, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »
Watched Scorsese's 1978's The Last Waltz film about The Band and their dozens of guest stars in their final concert. Was great! I'm pretty bad with classic music and outside radio songs never really listened to bands before the 80s outside some Dylan/Beatles. Lots of good music here, makes me want to go back and check out various albums.

Also the new 4k remaster was amazing. Looked like it was filmed today for a lot of it. Great way to archive the event for history.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40509 on: May 18, 2022, 05:10:32 PM »
Saw Dr. Strange 2 and enjoyed it a lot. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It really was kind of a long Wandavision finale episode and I hope that's the end of that arc for the character.  This is the first time where it also felt very comic-like in that you were missing a huge chunk of this story if you didn't watch all of WV first and I don't know if it's that's a good thing.  There's a lot of shit to keep up with here and people are going to finally get burned out at some point.   

America Chavez was just sort of there and served as a MacGuffin- they could have had some magic object thing take her place and it wouldn't have mattered.

For a movie called "in the multiverse of madness," there sure wasn't a lot of multiverse stuff going on.  The brief glimpse of all the crazy universes they showed for a few seconds could have been longer, but oh well.

All of the much-anticipated characters just being cameos and getting killed off was kind of funny.  It almost feels like they really enjoy just teasing the audience with all this stuff.  Was nice to see Prof. X get a bit more screen time, at least.
[close]

Incursions being introduced in this movie makes me wonder if they're going to do a slow build-up towards a secret wars movie and then 'smash' all the multiverses together at the end to re-introduce characters with newer, younger actors and/or bring in the Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc. by the end.

I like this multiverse stuff and while I'm interested in the next Thor, for the most part if it's not multiverse-related, I don't really care.  The Marvels :zzz
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40510 on: May 18, 2022, 09:00:10 PM »
Everything Everywhere All at Once is one of the best movies I have ever seen.  Like it's the second-best matrix movie while at the same time being a completely absurd matrix parody while also being emotional and sincere.  Best comedy action since Kung Fu Hustle.  I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a long time.  I really regret not seeing this in a theater.   

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40511 on: May 19, 2022, 11:59:55 AM »
strange 2 was wack.

some cool visuals, but this whole "gotta find a book" thing is :snore

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40512 on: May 19, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »
Hyped to see Men tomorrow. I've seen reviews calling it
body horror
[close]
which I can't even imagine what that means based on seeing the trailer, but Ex Machina and Annihilation both had some elements of that, though.
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40513 on: May 19, 2022, 03:32:31 PM »

Is there... is there finally going to be a non shit Terry Pratchett adaptation?

Bebpo

« Reply #40514 on: May 19, 2022, 04:26:41 PM »
Good Omens was solid, but otherwise yeahhh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40515 on: May 19, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
strange 2 was wack.

some cool visuals, but this whole "gotta find a book" thing is :snore
Especially because in the end it didn't even matter  :doge

Modern movies suck at teaching (moral) lessons or sharing a message.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40516 on: May 19, 2022, 11:30:30 PM »
The point of it not mattering was intentional and decently well done.

Tasty

« Reply #40517 on: May 19, 2022, 11:37:16 PM »
Dr Strange 2 final verdict :drudge

+ Nice Sam Raimi touches
+ Wanda was a compelling villain
+ Neat cameos
+ Great effects
+ That music fight was a lot of fun, there should have been some karaoke mixed in tho especially since pre-magic Strange's gimmick in the first movie was knowing the years of different songs
+ America wasn't as annoying as I thought she'd be, even if I confused her with Kamala Khan for half the film (:racist)
+ Wong was fun
+ Black Bolt's exit from the film was exactly what I needed after years of that insufferable GAF/RE user hyping the character from the comics (extra schadenfreude coming from that Inhumans show)
+ Wanda's fourth-wall break (and the MCU's first official fourth-wall break) couldn't have been better :delicious

- For me, shock deaths don't work in DC and they don't work in the MCU; got flashbacks to Ultimatum
- Wanda's arc was skirting the lines between outright betrayal and somewhat-acceptable retconing; I expect further "Parallax/The Phoenix/Necronomicon was its own consciousness taking full control!" retcon if they ever decide to bring her back
- Very, very lumpy plot progression and unclear character arcs
- Wanda's death was extremely lame and honestly, in-context it was completely unnecessary
- Reed Richards is fucking dumb when he really shouldn't be
- That first act :snore
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:46:25 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #40518 on: May 19, 2022, 11:51:31 PM »
Also I finally got around to Shang-Chi and I hadn't been so bored out of my mind watching a $100+ million film in years. It felt as low-rent as the Cinderella and Aladdin live-action remakes. Absolutely atrocious CGI, bad choreography, an uneven and grating score, and an unforgiveable amount of flashbacks (which all play out as you'd expect each one's initial 10 seconds)... Trevor Slattery was an unexpected highlight at least.

Possibly the most predictable blockbuster of the 2020s. I'm not sure there's anything new to be found at all.

For the record I went in wanting to like it. The lead actor is likeable enough and seems to have a decent range.

I guess The Eternals is next...

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40519 on: May 19, 2022, 11:58:23 PM »
Oh boy, if you didn't like Shang-Chi, eternals should put you to sleep
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #40520 on: May 20, 2022, 01:21:26 AM »
Couldn’t get through it. I was ready to punch out at twenty minutes but we gave it until the cgi tree maze. Maybe it gets really good by the end. Every time Tony Leung’s not on screen, I was asking “where’s Tony Leung?” I got that the magic bracelets stop Tony Leung from aging, but he looks as young as his son. He should’ve played both roles.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40521 on: May 20, 2022, 03:42:06 AM »
Oh boy, if you didn't like Shang-Chi, eternals should put you to sleep

tasty is still sleeping from it

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40522 on: May 20, 2022, 09:11:43 AM »
Good Omens was solid, but otherwise yeahhh

Yeah, I chalk that one up more to Neil Gaimans blessed adaptations than Terry Practhetts cursed ones

e: speaking of which, Sandman to hopefully justify the next Netflix price hike soon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40524 on: May 21, 2022, 07:37:33 AM »
The new Rescue Rangers movie looks crazy, almost like a sequel to Roger Rabbit.  :doge
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40525 on: May 21, 2022, 08:20:07 AM »
The Nines everyone should watch

_____

The new Rescue Rangers movie looks crazy, almost like a sequel to Roger Rabbit.  :doge

link

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40526 on: May 21, 2022, 09:20:33 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #40527 on: May 21, 2022, 10:15:37 AM »

:lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40528 on: May 21, 2022, 05:40:28 PM »
I watched it, it was pretty fun but 85% tomatometer seems a bit overrated
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40530 on: May 21, 2022, 08:26:44 PM »
In this day and age there are very few true leaks. Most are viral marketing/test marketing to drum up or gauge interest before committing to a marketing budget.
Spud

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40531 on: May 22, 2022, 12:38:07 AM »
Watched Evrrything Evverywhwre All At Once.  Good actors (short round!) all around, but I lost interest about midway through.  Felt like they knew precisely how their beginning and end should play out, but just absolutely couldn’t figure how to connect the two and decided to just throw any and all ideas together for it.  I guess that makes it the perfect A24 movie in theory, but Uncut Gems is still the best I’ve seen from the studio.

Tasty

« Reply #40532 on: May 22, 2022, 10:45:11 AM »
Uncut Gems truly is a cut above.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40533 on: May 22, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »
Everything everywhere better than multiverse.

Glad i saw the shitty one first.

Quaker

« Reply #40534 on: May 22, 2022, 09:25:40 PM »
Watched Evrrything Evverywhwre All At Once.  Good actors (short round!) all around, but I lost interest about midway through.  Felt like they knew precisely how their beginning and end should play out, but just absolutely couldn’t figure how to connect the two and decided to just throw any and all ideas together for it.  I guess that makes it the perfect A24 movie in theory, but Uncut Gems is still the best I’ve seen from the studio.
Didn't care for this at all but I'll chalk that up to me finding their sense of humour incredibly obnoxious(going back to Swiss Army Man) more than anything else and it's still nice to see Michelle Yeoh getting a glow-up.

As far as time-bendy, mindfuck sci-fi comedies go I liked Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes way better but that one doesn't aspire to teach any big lessons. It's on Amazon Prime now and it's only like 70 minutes long so hopefully people will get to see it.

Also saw Men. Very A24 movie. Wouldn't really recommend it but I enjoyed myself due to how batshit it is and because Jessie Buckley is great in everything she's in. It's so heavy handed with the metaphors and then you remember it was written and made by a dude so you wonder if it's just him dry snitching on himself and working out his guilt about that. It also feels like he just has like 20 minutes worth of material and he's just stretching it out. Some very cool body horror though. Watch it expecting an exercise closer to Aranofsky's mother! instead of something more thought out like Annihilation or Ex Machina.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40535 on: May 23, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »

Does "PART ONE" mean there'll be a sequel, and THAT wraps up the series? Tom Cruise is great for an old guy, but he's defo too old to be doing his own stunts, even if he's injecting fetal material into his joints.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40536 on: May 23, 2022, 08:14:30 PM »

Does "PART ONE" mean there'll be a sequel, and THAT wraps up the series? Tom Cruise is great for an old guy, but he's defo too old to be doing his own stunts, even if he's injecting fetal material into his joints.

seven and eight being filmed together like avengers

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40537 on: May 24, 2022, 01:09:08 AM »
Kittridge is back? :whoo

Polident Hive

« Reply #40538 on: May 24, 2022, 01:42:23 AM »
My read is it’s the finale of MI for a good long while. For a moment they were setting up actors to take over. When McQuarrie took over on 5, it swung around to being all Cruise. He did the awesome 6 and these next two.

Audiences will cheer when Emilio Estevez and Jeremy Renner walk out of a portal in MI8.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #40543 on: May 24, 2022, 06:23:42 PM »
As is tradition, I watched the latest Marvel flick on the plane. Well, almost the latest, the Spiderman.

I was very confused at first. I didn't realize I had missed a movie. I watched the first, ignored the 2nd, and saw this one. But the beginning obviously explains everything so it was easy enough to catch up on what happened.

Overall, the movie was pretty good. The plot was a lot more enjoyable that the standard Marvel paint by numbers garbage, like Shang Chi. I enjoyed seeing my boy Toby again. No idea who the other Spiderman was never heard of him.

That being said, a couple of things soured it for me. One, wtf is Doctor Strange such an asshole imbecile?

So he's going to cast this super dangerous spell and instead of talking to Peter for 5 minutes and being like "this is what Im going to do and this is how the spell works, are we good?" he just starts conjuring and then gets mad when Peter has the audacity to ask "what dis?"

And then he blames Peter? What a massive cunt. Mind you, his entire character is shit. I watched his origin movie (probably on the plane) and had to pause it a few times to make sure I wasn't watching Iron Man because it was literally the same story.

The second annoyance (much more minor) is that the movie dragged a few times when all the Spidermans were standing around awkwardly with these weird half smiles like theyre visiting grandma at the dementia clinic.

I did enjoy that unlike all the other Marvel movies that feel like they take place in a NYC with 7 people, this one had livelier streetscapes. And they had the common sense to host the big fight on Liberty Island at night (deserted) instead of doing it in a Central Park on a beautiful day which is inexplicable empty. Ive seen sitcoms with more fucking background extras than some of these Marvel movies.

One thing Im confused about, and maybe they explain it in the Multiverse movie....

Whats the logic behind the Spidermans being different ages? Arent the multiverses happening at the same time? Why would the spell pull in 45 year old Spiderman? And shouldnt Toby be a little more impressed about the tech if hes being pulled in from 2002? Obviously I get the logistics behind real actors, but Im just curious if they ever explain it.

Speaking of ages...none of the leads pass for High School anymore. Wrap it up.

As a movie: 7/10. Against other Marvel movies, 10/10.
:O

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40544 on: May 24, 2022, 08:26:24 PM »
No lively backgrounds?

Did you not watch the exhilarating fight in civil war that took place in a Lowe's parking lot?

Quaker

« Reply #40545 on: May 24, 2022, 09:25:27 PM »
David Cronenberg’s Crimes of the Future Premiere Sparks Walkouts at Cannes

:phil
The smug pricks on the Film Comment podcast were gushing about this. They said it's pretty smart and even the squeamish ppl said it wasn't that extreme and the worst parts were in the trailer.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40546 on: May 25, 2022, 04:33:39 AM »
Kittridge is back? :whoo

And a fight on top of a train!

Probably an exploding aquarium, just for the trifecta!

Polident Hive

« Reply #40547 on: May 25, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/1529554262807785475

Don’t care about Elvis but Baz Luhrmann making a nutso three hour biopic :bow2

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40548 on: May 25, 2022, 05:11:40 PM »
I care about Elvis and outside 'Romeo + Juliet' Luhrmann blows.

Tasty

« Reply #40549 on: May 25, 2022, 07:36:22 PM »
I am so excited for Elvis it's not funny.

It's a shame Tom Hanks is channeling Jim Carrey's Riddler though, but I've been bracing for that since the trailers.

Tasty

« Reply #40550 on: May 25, 2022, 07:36:47 PM »
I care about Elvis and outside 'Romeo + Juliet' Luhrmann blows.

Baz is art. 8)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40552 on: May 26, 2022, 08:17:34 PM »
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers was a heap of fun. They corralled a heap of voice talent. I wonder what it is that JK Simmons keeps showing up in geek/nerd fodder. Doesn't he have an Oscar? I guess he likes to work. Both Samberg and Mulaney were charming, but the former sounded like he was in a sound booth, pitching to the cheap seats, and Mulaney was stilted and dry. Not sure how much of that was a conscious choice. I loved all the Toon specific stuff. Human Toon Trading was a dark place for them to go. Surprising.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40553 on: May 26, 2022, 08:36:23 PM »

Joanne Whaley and Warrick Davis are both back. Looks like a jump-forward from the last story. I'll be curious how they handle Madmartigan's legacy. I loved Val in that role.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40554 on: May 26, 2022, 09:01:51 PM »
Willow sucked* and that looks Scify level of quality.

* - casting was amazing.

Bebpo

« Reply #40555 on: May 26, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/05/gran-turismo-movie-neill-blomkamp-video-game-adaptation-sony-playstation-1235033958/

Gran Turismo movie by Neil Blomkamp at least gave me a good laugh for the day.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40556 on: May 27, 2022, 02:48:50 AM »

Joanne Whaley and Warrick Davis are both back. Looks like a jump-forward from the last story. I'll be curious how they handle Madmartigan's legacy. I loved Val in that role.
Might be worth re-watching the original with my kids. I haven't seen it since I was their age.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #40557 on: May 27, 2022, 03:44:49 AM »
Watched X

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I do not get the reviews at all.

It's well directed with good tension and creepiness, but the story is SO BORING. How can Ti West, the guy that did House of the Devil, The Innkeepers or even Triggerman, do a boring ass by the books re-enactment of the Jones Town Massacre and then a boring ass by the books Texas Chainsaw slasher. Definitely doesn't make me more interested in seeing his non-horror In the Valley of Violence.

Dunno what happened to the guy, but since X did really well both critically and commercially I guess he'll just keeping making boring ass genre flicks that are well directed. I guess you could say The Innkeepers was a typical genre haunted house story, but the mashup of the movie being 90% mumblecore shoot shitting with two employees made it stick out as something fairly original to me.

I really expected something more interesting plot-wise in X than

Creepy old people killing teens
[close]

So fucking boring in the 2nd half :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

ShutUp

« Reply #40559 on: May 27, 2022, 04:54:47 PM »
Top Gun was fucking exhilarating. On track for a 142 million four day opening weekend and deserves every penny.