Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141746 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40380 on: April 27, 2022, 12:28:22 AM »
Either it was Reeve's creative decision in which case I've lost some faith in his cinematic vision for Batman, or it was a WB edict from jumpy execs who probably ask every new Batman director "Why isn't Joker the villain?" Either way, it derails some of my hype for the sequel.
I think Reeves indicated that he felt he nailed the casting and wanted to get something into the first movie.

Remember, Reeves supposedly already mapped out the trilogy, the Joker had to be in there somewhere and you're going to get burned no matter when you debut him. It's a pretty ideal choice to help illustrate that the other villains already exist and Batman has already met them with just a few seconds of establishing since everyone is already familiar with the Joker.

Doesn't mean that Reeves' Joker has to become the center of attention for an entire film though. The only compelling part of any of Leto's Joker, including when he was in the Academy Award winning Zack Snyder's Justice League, was him around the edges of Suicide Squad threatening to become the biggest problem of all. The comics very much love the idea of adding to Batman's problems by having the Joker free and loose while he's trying to deal with some other Gotham level threat because it's plausible for the Joker, and few other characters, to do pretty much anything the story demands. No Man's Land concludes all the arcs by having the Joker return to town as Batman and the GCPD triumph at restoring order. The Joker works as a "side villain" like few others because his level of threat remains so high with little establishment needed. You can have him interrupt a fight between Batman and the main villain by blowing up a building just because he thinks it's funny since people will accept that he did it because he's the Joker.

I wonder if Reeves could make an Arkham Asylum (game) movie work.

Like make it a horror film that takes place almost entire in Arkham where multiple villains have broken out. Not sure how you'd make it exciting with grounded non-power villains though.
The comics have done this quite often. Perhaps most famously in Grant Morrison's A Serious House on Serious Earth which I've just assumed someone is going to adapt at some point.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:52:04 AM by benjipwns »

Bebpo

« Reply #40381 on: April 27, 2022, 12:39:04 AM »
Watched the first Venom movie. Was maybe a bit better than expected. Dumb, but funny. The CG was fucking terrible though. Will watch Venom 2.

Mostly just watching these because the meme gif of Venom the raver is fucking hilarious.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40382 on: April 27, 2022, 12:56:42 AM »
Dumb, but funny.

This is indeed an accurate description of Venom and its sequel.
Spud

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40383 on: April 27, 2022, 01:10:08 AM »
Watched the first Venom movie. Was maybe a bit better than expected. Dumb, but funny. The CG was fucking terrible though. Will watch Venom 2.

Mostly just watching these because the meme gif of Venom the raver is fucking hilarious.

I always recommend Venom to people exactly because it’s dumb and fun, and I always tell them that by the time they get to the lobster tank scene, they’ll either be all-in or 100% out.

Bebpo

« Reply #40384 on: April 27, 2022, 02:34:31 AM »
Went ahead and watched Venom 2 since these flicks are so short.

Better directed and went all in one the dumb fun Venom/Brock stuff. CG was a bit better too. The story & Carnage was weak, but overall was a better movie and this one's about on par with a middle-tier Marvel flick. Was pretty funny at times.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40385 on: April 27, 2022, 02:57:18 AM »
They’re fun. I saw the Venoms likened to a 90s Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy comedy. The sequel leaned into that. Not far enough, I’d say. But from the Separation Anxiety SNES game, there’s no shortage of palette swapped Venoms for sequels.

Bebpo

« Reply #40386 on: April 27, 2022, 03:06:52 AM »
I thought it leaned pretty far into the goofy buddy comedy thing in 2, which worked great.

I actually think one of the biggest problems of Venom 2 is you just cannot do a Carnage movie at PG-13. There was so much cutting to keep the gore and ultra-violence out that it actually made some of the scenes hard to follow action-wise. It felt like if it was a hard R the Carnage scenes would've worked more.

Like you can tell they got Woody Harrelson because they wanted him to try channeling some of that Natural Born Killers performance in. Like on paper they were probably trying to do Natural Born Killers w/Symbiote vs. Venom. But that just does not work as PG-13. Also tonally trying to have the movie be NBK and Carnage mass violence with goofy Venom buddy bromance doesn't really go together.

Hell, The Batman at times felt like a PG-13 teen version of Seven, but it handled it pretty well and felt pretty close to an R-rating. Venom 2 doesn't even try and is super neutered.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40387 on: April 27, 2022, 03:21:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1519086541313740801

dam fam

e: Just rewatched Before We Go.

Best thing Evan has done, it's a shame his career took a downward spiral with the mcu.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 03:40:52 AM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Bebpo

« Reply #40388 on: April 27, 2022, 03:54:07 AM »

Best thing Evan has done, it's a shame his career took a downward spiral with the mcu.

Hmmm, I like Evans and I like romance drama stuff. I should watch this.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40389 on: April 27, 2022, 09:21:38 AM »
Justin Lin: "What if Fast X wasn't about family?"

Vin Diesel: "Get the fuck out."
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #40390 on: April 27, 2022, 01:41:49 PM »
Get Paul Walker to direct via ouija board :tocry
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #40391 on: April 27, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »
Best suggestion I've seen is let Vin direct and we can all enjoy the trainwreck.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40392 on: April 28, 2022, 03:34:40 AM »
Best suggestion I've seen is let Vin direct and we can all enjoy the trainwreck.
It's telling that Vin Diesel's biggest contribution to film is playing a CGI tree that can only say it's own name.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40393 on: April 28, 2022, 04:24:27 AM »
Hard to blame someone for making crap if it's making them millions upon millions of dollars. Fast and Furious isn't Vin Diesel's fault, it's society's fault.

Bebpo

« Reply #40394 on: April 28, 2022, 06:01:12 AM »
Plus you don't diss Riddick  :maf

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40395 on: April 28, 2022, 06:13:40 AM »
He was the Iron Giant, the same material that the Mangrate is made from

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40396 on: April 28, 2022, 08:41:34 AM »
Metal Lords was fucking great. Soundtrack was spot on and they mostly got the whole metal thing right outside of a few moments.

Cameos were awesome and the performances from the main actors were great too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:48:48 AM by Potato »
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40397 on: April 28, 2022, 02:06:34 PM »
Yeah, Metal Lords has a lot of heart - all the characters are really believable, and even the bullying stuff isn't the usual cliché jocks vs geeks stuff - its just a slow escalation of peoples shittiness to other people.

Bebpo

« Reply #40398 on: April 29, 2022, 06:32:09 PM »
Jon Watts (Spider-Mans) leaving Fantastic Four MCU.

Say what you will about Watts, but at least with him directing we would've gotten the first decent F4 movie and a decent or better Dr. Doom. Now who knows. Will be interesting who they get. People are shouting Sam Raimi should jump straight from Dr. Strange 2 -> F4, but who knows if he'd be interested.

I'd say Benson & Moorhead since MCU likes them now but they're shooting Loki S2 and I also don't think MCU plays into their strength which is their writing and so far they are not allowed in the MCU writer's room.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40399 on: April 30, 2022, 06:41:09 AM »
I think the FF should be kinda corny in a "happy family that don't give a fuck what outsiders think" kind of way, so a kids film director would actually be a pretty good choice.
I'd definitely watch a Lord & Miller FF. I'd ABSOLUTELY watch a Spielberg FF. Hell, I'd watch a Rodriguez Spy Kids style FF. Get Power Pack in there too.

The FF deserve way better than the MCU template quips + banter

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40401 on: April 30, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
The subtitle sounds like some sort of Chinese knock-off or Square Enix product too  :doge

The way of water
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

Bebpo

« Reply #40403 on: April 30, 2022, 12:56:28 PM »
I think the FF should be kinda corny in a "happy family that don't give a fuck what outsiders think" kind of way, so a kids film director would actually be a pretty good choice.
I'd definitely watch a Lord & Miller FF. I'd ABSOLUTELY watch a Spielberg FF. Hell, I'd watch a Rodriguez Spy Kids style FF. Get Power Pack in there too.

Eh, it just needs a non-bad movie first.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40404 on: April 30, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »
Cameron is going to go where no fishkin kink person ever went before.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #40405 on: April 30, 2022, 08:30:58 PM »
Cameron is going to go where no fishkin kink person ever went before.

Guillermo del Toro: "Hold my beer"

*Shape of Water 2: Fishpussy announced*

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40406 on: April 30, 2022, 11:39:09 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales wasn't bad. It wasn't good but it wasn't bad. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40407 on: May 01, 2022, 07:54:31 AM »

Eh, it just needs a non-bad movie first.

I have a feeling if they stick to template it'll be a forgettable origin story - contemporary audience know too much actual science to buy them as 'science heroes' and theres a lot of inherent goofiness you either lean into 100% and embrace (like Shazam did) or try and rework (and end up with galactus as a cloud of space locusts or wtfever)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40408 on: May 02, 2022, 02:10:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1519115207682838528

Damn, and 7 was good too. Vin must be shit to work with these days  :'(

It’s very possible that Vin Diesel is difficult to work with, but it’s even more likely that the studio is overly focused on the franchise and second guessing it three ways from Sunday. It would be a nightmare to be under that kind of microscope from that many executive dip shits.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40409 on: May 02, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »
Wan having a rough experience with 7 isn’t too surprising. He’s spoken openly about how much action was done before he began. The Rock had scheduling issues and was written out. The movie wasn’t finishing shooting when Walker passed. Think it was delayed another year and he was stuck on it for even longer.

If they bring back anybody, make it Rob Cohen. He might still be pissed at Vin for ruining the xXx franchise.

Sman

« Reply #40410 on: May 02, 2022, 02:13:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1519086541313740801

dam fam

What sort of creative differences really matter in the FF series?

Vin Diesel: "I think the cars should be launched in space"

Justin Lin: "No, no, they transform into giant fighting robots"

Tasty

« Reply #40411 on: May 02, 2022, 11:10:58 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #40412 on: May 02, 2022, 11:31:20 PM »
Jonathan Turbide
11 days ago
Wow how were you able to upload the full Batman movie without being hit by copyright? 🤔

benjipwns

« Reply #40413 on: May 02, 2022, 11:37:08 PM »
Actually, until the end I didn't think The Riddler was too bad about this compared to how these things normally go. He was a bit closer to accurate critique, very bad solution than a lot of these where they don't even bother. The whole trying to send a message to Batman thing sorta softened it to where it almost made sense.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40414 on: May 03, 2022, 02:13:59 AM »
There's a great moment in that first Xmen with Fassbender. Tells Kevin Bacon he agrees with him 100% and will continue his fight. But Kevin Bacon killed his mom so whoops gotta die.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40415 on: May 03, 2022, 10:26:48 PM »
Sonic 2 was good.  Not nearly as tight and well crafted as the first though.  It's a shame Jim Carry is retiring since these movies are basically just written for him. 

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40416 on: May 04, 2022, 01:03:00 AM »
Can’t wait, CAN’T WAIT!

I feel like there had to have been an endless amount of giggling between Daniel, Al, and the rest of the production while making this.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40417 on: May 04, 2022, 06:02:18 AM »
Watched First Blood again last night. It will never not be brilliant. The action is mad, Brian Dennehy's sheriff Teasle is iconic. Stallone's acting is stunningly subversive. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40418 on: May 04, 2022, 06:05:19 AM »
Watched First Blood again last night. It will never not be brilliant. The action is mad, Brian Dennehy's sheriff Teasle is iconic. Stallone's acting is stunningly subversive. 
Absolutely.

It's amazing where the series started and where it ended up. That reminds me I still haven't seen the latest one.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40419 on: May 04, 2022, 06:18:59 AM »
Imagine the legacy Stallone would've had if he'd bowed out after First Blood and Rocky

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40420 on: May 04, 2022, 08:44:24 AM »
Heh... The sequels, for how excessive and bad they get for both of those, absolutely did a lot to cement the legacy.
ὕβρις

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40421 on: May 04, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
A much different legacy though and people misremember the actual quality of both of those films as a result.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40422 on: May 04, 2022, 08:01:33 PM »
Heh... The sequels, for how excessive and bad they get for both of those, absolutely did a lot to cement the legacy.

If Stallone had never made another movie after those two, they would be called classics by the people who turn their noses up at them

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40423 on: May 04, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
The bad guys was decent.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40424 on: May 04, 2022, 11:17:20 PM »
The bad guys was decent.
Took my kids to see it a couple weeks ago. They loved it and I was entertained.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40425 on: May 04, 2022, 11:48:30 PM »
The Hunt was terrible.  Embarrassing that Glenn Howerton is in this.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40426 on: May 05, 2022, 06:01:06 AM »

If Stallone had never made another movie after those two, they would be called classics by the people who turn their noses up at them

I guess we'll never know but I'll just say that he didn't direct neither Rocky nor Rambo so people maybe would not have perceived it the same in the long run. But heh.
ὕβρις

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40427 on: May 05, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »
Who's more disappointing, Stallone or Bruce Willis?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40428 on: May 05, 2022, 07:57:55 PM »
Stallone fell from a greater height, Willis hit a lower low
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40429 on: May 05, 2022, 08:07:51 PM »
Who's more disappointing, Stallone or Bruce Willis?
I would say Bruce, prior to his medical condition. Every now and then he showed what he could do. In the 90's he did a bunch of great films.
The most interesting thing he did afterwards was probably Sin City. Everything else didn't really register.

Stallone made a few stinkers but it wasn't because of a lack of trying.
Although you could argue he was responsible for creating the "action movies with has-been actors" genre thanks to the Expendables.
I think that in the end despite being a far more limited actor, Stallone punched far above his weight through is work and dedication. 
Even when he has a small almost cameo-like appearance like he does in GotG he still puts in the effort.

Disney flexing their muscles
https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/1522210480403668997
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 08:13:12 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #40430 on: May 05, 2022, 08:21:24 PM »
Judging solely on their last good movie, Stallone has Creed. Willis has Moonrise Kingdom. Stallone takes it.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40431 on: May 06, 2022, 08:00:42 AM »
The all time great Aw Geez Man, What Happened To You? award is still Marlon Brando though, right?

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40432 on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
What’s left after The Godfather and Apocalypse Now? Where do you go from there?

Tasty

« Reply #40433 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40434 on: May 07, 2022, 05:57:00 PM »
I went to see the new Dr. Strange.

It was a weird movie. Is it good? I dunno, it's a bit of a mess but that was also sort of the point.
The Multiverse thing is cool but a lot of it is just fan service and beyond that they don't do a lot of interesting things with it.
For a film about the multiverse it was very one-dimensional.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40435 on: May 07, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »
About what I expected, which is why I was never that hyped despite Sam Raimi bring in my... Top 2 favorite directors.

There was probably something behind those "creative differences" that forced the Doctor Strange 1 director out.

This all said, I remember being very very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the original movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40436 on: May 07, 2022, 07:31:25 PM »
It was certainly darker than other Marvel films and had some good scenes. But the problem is that good scenes don't make a good movie. The story is probably the most lacking apart from the music, especially how nothing really matters including a number of plot devices.  :doge

The first Dr. Strange movie (although a bit by the numbers) is much better
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40437 on: May 07, 2022, 07:44:39 PM »
The plot was really lumpy in No Way Home because of multiverse shit too, but the Raimi fanboy in me overlooked most of it. And on a second rewatch, it actually pulls together more logically than my first impression.

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #40439 on: May 07, 2022, 07:54:59 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/mike-de-luca-pam-abdy-warner-bros-mgm-1235242698/amp/

Between this and axing CNN+, WBD is making a lot of good moves right out of the gate.