Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170010 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Polident Hive

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40201 on: March 05, 2022, 10:35:29 AM »
Seeing that there is an animated movie with keanu voicing Batman made me big smile, I’m genuinely looking forward to that.

Read that as a joke but huh they made a super pets movie. Seems cute. The Rock and Kevin Hart playing Superman's and Batman's dogs.

benjipwns

Polident Hive

« Reply #40203 on: March 05, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
Movie isn’t shy about her. They sneaked in a reference to Katie Holmes from the Nolan one. Or MJ from the Raimi Spider-Man.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40205 on: March 06, 2022, 02:52:22 PM »
Half paying attention to the previews there’s a batman movie with Michael Keaton and Jared Leto. And later they showed a trailer for batman, the movie we were about to watch, intercut with presumably other batman movies. The Rock is playing batman in one of them.

Only non batman trailer was that jordan peele movie. A+++ body shaking bass there. Regret missing Dune in theaters.

Maybe before part 2 comes out Dune will get some limited theater run. It’s definitely worth catching in the theater.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40206 on: March 06, 2022, 05:31:29 PM »
Given the opportunity, I'm 100% down for it. Was already intense on my modest home setup. Enough that I put on subtitles and turned things down as not to disturb others. Friends described watching it in IMAX as feeling it in your chest. I know what they mean from watching Fury Road and Dunkirk. Not the same watching at home.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40207 on: March 06, 2022, 08:55:51 PM »
Sorry to be annoying about superhero movies as I'm reading on stuff I'm out of the loop on. Really not slowing down at all.

If I have it all right, Marvel is down to two branches. Disney Marvel and Sony Marvel. Disney Marvel is trucking along and will integrate the Netflix shows along with X-Men and Fantastic Four. Sony Marvel is just Spider-Man side characters without Spider-Man? Venom, Morbius, Kraven, Madame Web, and Spider-Woman. Sure.

DC has four plus branches. The Batman is its own branch. Before the sequel, they're making two or three spin-off shows for HBO. A Penguin spin-off is consistently mentioned. Some say GCPD and Arkham Asylum show. Somehow Joker is its own branch with Joker 2 coming. The big attempt at doing the Marvel thing with nearly everything else is a shared universe? It's confusing. They're bringing Michael Keaton's Batman back, but he's Ben Affleck's Batman now? JK Simmons and Jeremy Irons are sticking around. Two different black Superman movies are announced, how they're defining them, not me. Again, confusing. There's a stand alone black Clark Kent Superman movie from Ta-Nehisi Coates and JJ Abrams. Then there's to be a Val-Zod Superman movie connected to the shared universe? And Michael B Jordan is handling that.

Gave up at this point. There's a lot more. Will continue my strategy of being 15% aware until they make an Ambush Bug movie.

Tasty

« Reply #40208 on: March 06, 2022, 09:25:24 PM »
Continuity is for nerds and generally stifles creative risk.

I've been generally against most of DC's recent feature film output, but there's benefits to be had from just saying "fuck continuity."

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #40209 on: March 06, 2022, 10:02:51 PM »
It doesn’t matter. I miss 80% of the marvel movies but the 20% I do watch still make sense and are entertaining. I don’t care what Batman did 5 movies ago. I just want to spend the next few hours watching him fuck shit up while I stuff my fat face with popcorn.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40210 on: March 06, 2022, 10:07:32 PM »
That's true. I like that about the Wolverine trilogy. Even the two movies from the same director don't make sense together, but each are really entertaining. That's how I always read comics. Friends recommend a writer's brief run or story line. Never reading week to week.

Last year when Justice League came out, I was reading up on the history. How it's conceived as a self contained trilogy, closed book at the end. Not a continuity lasting decades. Whatever is happening at the studio level with the marvel envy and all, I'm not aware. It's cool how The Batman is its own deal. Down for most Batman movies like it.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40211 on: March 06, 2022, 11:11:21 PM »
Ultimately, there's room for both styles, but not room for two companies to try to do the same "cinematic universe" thing.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #40212 on: March 07, 2022, 12:47:47 AM »
The Flash is going to be a time travel movie (Flashpoint for us comic nerds) where they meet Michael Keaton's Batman, then whatever happens in the movie will swap him for Ben Affleck, that's why Keaton and JK Simmons in Batgirl.

Warner didn't want to tie Batman down to just appearing in Justice League films so they were going to have Affleck as his JL "present" version (along with cameos) and Reeves' stuff as set in the past but then the JL stuff all collapsed, Affleck decided he didn't want to do the role anymore (especially since it'd be 5+ years since he last played it) but would do it again for Snyder and The Flash movie. After the Snyder fall out and Joker made $1 billion they just decided to have a "multiverse" and allow for all these movies and stuff set in things outside the main DCEU.

The DCEU will still be going with Gadot's Wonder Woman, Mamoa's Aquaman, Miller's Flash, etc. But apparently with Keaton as Batman. And while Cavill still wants to be Superman I have to imagine they want to swap him. It doesn't really matter since they won't be teaming them all up as the Justice League for some time. I figure they'll swap in a new younger Batman at some point to replace Keaton when they actually want to do another Justice League movie. (Although at that point they might just recast the entire team.) The DCEU will still be a shared universe but I don't think they're going to be doing anything like Marvel where everyone appears in every film and it's one ongoing plot like Marvel did from Civil War on up to Thanos. It'll just be references to others and maybe some cameos, maybe some Team-Ups where like you say have a Aquaman and Flash movie or something but not really the rest of the team except maybe Keaton doing a cameo as setup or a voiceover "from the Satellite" or whatever. Black Adam will setup JSA characters but I doubt they appear much outside of those and the Shazam films, those two will obviously cross over at some point.

Snyder's Justice League trilogy idea left some leeway at the end of the third film for Warner to start recasting the roles like Batman especially. I've had a similar thought for some time, DC has Crisis where it can fall back on "rebooting" the multiverse in a way that's actually faithful to the source material.

I like DC and like the Justice League so I want to see them as movies still but they probably really aren't going to do that for any time soon so without that thread tying the whole thing together the DCEU being a shared universe is just references and cameos rather than story arcs. The funny thing is Snyder was planning on giving them exactly what they wanted: big event movies with 2 and 3. But the former executives before AT&T didn't want to wait, they wanted it NOW and in two hours with Whedonesque dialogue! And that wasn't the guy they had hired, so they dumped him to try and get it on the cheap. Oh, well.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40213 on: March 07, 2022, 01:56:50 AM »
Interesting to know.

The Flash situation is curious. Years ago I spoke with people who described it as a Lethal Weapon type of team up movie with Cyborg. Guy who directed Dope was on it. Sounded cool. If they're doing some time travel flashpoint story, that all must've been binned.

Controversial opinion that speaks to my age: I've more nostalgia for Val Kilmer than Michael Keaton. I'm embarrassed for myself.

benjipwns

« Reply #40214 on: March 07, 2022, 02:21:38 AM »
Yeah, the Flash movie has been restarted a few times, it was originally supposed to come out after the first Wonder Woman and before Aquaman. Even the Flashpoint iteration has had multiple writers and directors IIRC. The "buddy comedy" aspect may still be part of it as he teams up with multiple Flashes/Flash Family characters as they travel. They'll meet Michael Shannon's Zod at some point supposedly too.

The Cyborg actor will, uh, probably not be reappearing. He has a major dispute with Warner Bros. This may change with the incoming merger with Discovery that reshuffles management but it doesn't seem likely as it's Cyborg. He has made an exception for if Snyder returns but I really don't think that happens. I thought he'd be a pretty good support character to show up in other people's films to help tie them together sorta like Nick Fury was but alas.

I always liked Kilmer, Forever is a really bad movie but Kilmer was fine.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40215 on: March 08, 2022, 01:31:05 AM »
I remember all that. Whole thing with announcing a fake Christmas movie with Jason Momoa as a distraction. There was something about Ben Affleck wanting to physically beat up Joss Whedon on set. Would've been even cooler if he was wearing the Batsuit at the time.

From hearing converations with Matt Reeves, that GCPD HBO Max show isn't happening. WB didn't believe it had name recognition the way a Penguin show does. As described, it's a year one prequel about with corrupt cop as lead, maybe Flass, in a Bad Lieutenant type story. With comic book PG-13 acceptable cocaine alternatives, I assume.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40216 on: March 08, 2022, 01:59:25 AM »
WTF are they doing proposing a GCPD show, when that's what GOTHAM already was?

benjipwns

« Reply #40217 on: March 08, 2022, 04:48:16 AM »
Gotham went off the rails pretty quickly into straight up hilarious insanity. I figure any GCPD series tied into this film trilogy would be a lot closer to the Gotham Central comics. Really kinda grounded, showing what the cops have to deal with just having Batman and the super villains in a major city with a crime problem outside of those things.

It'd be fun to have a The Wire but for Gotham instead of Baltimore. What I mean is like you start with the cops and the gangs, then work in the politicians, then the freaks, etc. But you keep Batman himself out, leave him to the films like he's this level of spectacle you hear about a lot or see the aftermath of but only really see in action in the "big moments" which justify the films.

Tasty

« Reply #40218 on: March 09, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
‘Drake and Josh’ Star Josh Peck Joins Christopher Nolan’s ‘Oppenheimer’

:huh

I know Drake, uh, isn't available but this is just weird casting.

Quaker

« Reply #40219 on: March 09, 2022, 09:38:29 PM »
So was David Bowie in The Prestige. Tom Beringer in Inception. The One Direction guy in Dunkirk.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40220 on: March 10, 2022, 03:00:59 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60685146

The director of hit superhero film Black Panther was mistaken for a bank robber as he tried to take money out of his own account in the US, a police report has revealed.

Ryan Coogler was briefly arrested after trying to withdraw $12,000 (£9,100) from the Atlanta bank in January.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40221 on: March 10, 2022, 05:48:04 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60685146

The director of hit superhero film Black Panther was mistaken for a bank robber as he tried to take money out of his own account in the US, a police report has revealed.

Ryan Coogler was briefly arrested after trying to withdraw $12,000 (£9,100) from the Atlanta bank in January.
Wearing sunglasses and a hat in a bank and handing over a handwritten note asking for $12,000 to be counted discreetly while black...
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40222 on: March 11, 2022, 01:10:49 AM »
Gotham went off the rails pretty quickly into straight up hilarious insanity. I figure any GCPD series tied into this film trilogy would be a lot closer to the Gotham Central comics. Really kinda grounded, showing what the cops have to deal with just having Batman and the super villains in a major city with a crime problem outside of those things.

It'd be fun to have a The Wire but for Gotham instead of Baltimore. What I mean is like you start with the cops and the gangs, then work in the politicians, then the freaks, etc. But you keep Batman himself out, leave him to the films like he's this level of spectacle you hear about a lot or see the aftermath of but only really see in action in the "big moments" which justify the films.

:o

WOULD WATCH.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40223 on: March 11, 2022, 07:00:53 AM »
Watched Turning Red with my kids. Great movie, but I totally wasn't prepared for a female puberty coming of age story. That's not really my department in the family dynamic.
Spud

Tasty

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40225 on: March 13, 2022, 08:40:21 AM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40226 on: March 13, 2022, 08:48:42 AM »
watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is a film made by somebody who watched Halloween: Resurrection back in the day, but thought they were watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so that's what they remade, and its pretty shit, even though it does have a scene with a bunch of millennials in a truck all getting their phones out and going "We're gonna cancel you so hard bro" to leatherface before he slices them all up.

What's surprising about the OG TCM is how actually restrained it is; like OG Psycho, its a lot less gory than you might remember, because it relies a lot on the implication, and also randomly encountering a bunch of red neck fucking cannibals in the middle of fucking nowhere is still absolutely terrifying as a premise. What's not surprising at all about the reboot is fucking gore everywhere and leatherface is now a fucking terminator.

So I obviously rewatched Halloween: Resurection again too, which is still a hilarious stinker, except Starbuck is a bit more famous now, and I went "Oh, hey, that's starbuck"

benjipwns

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40228 on: March 15, 2022, 03:57:40 PM »
I think people grade Spiderman NWH on the curve of "this should be an absolute clusterfuck". But it wasn't and that's why it's celebrated.

Balancing 3 heroes and 5 villains and all the other bullshit (Aunt May, Dr. McGuffin) and giving each aspect it's own story/time is a pretty incredible juggling act. Then they stuck the ending perfectly.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40229 on: March 15, 2022, 07:21:36 PM »
"It's pretty good...for a marvel movie" should be included on any self-respectingloathing reviewer's scale these days.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #40230 on: March 15, 2022, 08:12:44 PM »
Can't see watching it at home months after its moment has the same impact as when it came out. Unironically using the Marty Scorsese theme park ride comparison, the whole lead up anticipation and secrecy was Doc Brown talking on monitors in line to the Back to the Future ride. And for a lot of people, it was their first time back in the theater since COVID. Haven't seen it yet. But adding in nostalgia, I watched those Tobey and Raimi movies in theaters. Primed to be somewhat partial to this on that alone.

It's a little funny looking at screens and noticing how all the spider-mans look the same. Batman is almost always looking different.

Bebpo

« Reply #40231 on: March 20, 2022, 01:49:30 AM »
Finally sat down and watched Spidey.
It was pretty good and I'm satisfied. Laughed a bunch and had some nice emotional bits.

The biggest problem is that underneath all the fanservice and action scenes it's just an ok movie. There's not much plot/character to it. Not bad, but I'd say Homecoming, Far From Home and No Way Home are all exactly the same quality, which is "pretty good" but not amazing. I'd expect Watts' Fantastic Four movie he's doing next to be about that same. Just seems his style of lots of laughs, light on depth, satisfying enough. Which is better than F4 being in the hands of someone who makes mediocre or bad movies, so that's fine. Just not gonna expect an oscar film outta Dr. Doom either. At least they should get his costume right.

I think Into the Spider-Verse is still the best Spider-Man movie. No Way Home suffers a bit being another multiverse Spider-Man movie coming out close to that, so it's got to be compared and Into the Spider-Verse is the better actual character & plot film. Plus the direction is way better there.

I actually wish No Way Home had even more fanservice. I went in with no spoilers and there were things I was hoping would've been in it that weren't like:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wanted Miles intro to MCU, I wanted Daredevil who was great cameo in the start to actually have another scene doing something in the movie, I wanted Tom Hardy Venom to have more than a post-credit scene where he is like "hey I was actually in this movie but did nothing and now I'm leaving back to my own universe lolz".
[close]

Still satisfied though. Looking forward to Moon Knight and Dr. Strange 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #40232 on: March 20, 2022, 02:40:38 AM »
Also, coming from Euphoria, Zendaya is so wasted in the small amount of material they give her in these movies. Ironically, she'd be a better Spider-Man than Tom Holland who is still not a particularly good actor. Zendaya's got great comedy quip chops and has the emotional range to do the character better. Maybe they should do a Spider-Gwen but with MJ in the MCU.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40233 on: March 21, 2022, 08:22:53 PM »
Jackass was unexpectantly good. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
bear scene had me on edge
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #40234 on: March 22, 2022, 05:18:08 AM »
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40235 on: March 23, 2022, 01:54:57 PM »

Love Alex Garland, this looks good. :rejoice Also, was that a motherfucking Evil Dead reference??
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #40236 on: March 24, 2022, 12:35:54 AM »

Love Alex Garland, this looks good. :rejoice Also, was that a motherfucking Evil Dead reference??

Keenly following Alex Garland's career. Don't know what to make of this trailer at all but I'm excited nonetheless.

:rejoice

I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL (re: me to this film)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40237 on: March 24, 2022, 04:33:41 AM »
I watched Corporate Animals because its on Netflix and the trailer looked pretty funny, and I genuinely don't understand why its got such fucking terrible reviews - its not a 'horror' film at all, but a pretty scathing satire about american corporate bullshit, and is really funny. Apparently it was written by one of the writers of the UK sitcom Peep Show, so I just don't know if the humour translated to film critics expecting a black comedy horror film?

Sample dialogue:
Sheeeeeeit guy from The Wire: What would happen if we drank our own piss?
Senator always insulting his aide from Veep: We'd still die but the last thing we'd taste would be our own piss.

:rofl

I think this is gonna get a cult following on streaming

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40238 on: March 24, 2022, 04:37:32 AM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 12:35:29 AM by team filler »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40239 on: March 25, 2022, 12:36:21 AM »
I still prefer the happening as a dark comedy

:hesright

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40240 on: March 25, 2022, 02:21:08 AM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 12:33:42 AM by team filler »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #40242 on: March 25, 2022, 03:26:47 PM »
I watched Corporate Animals because its on Netflix and the trailer looked pretty funny, and I genuinely don't understand why its got such fucking terrible reviews - its not a 'horror' film at all, but a pretty scathing satire about american corporate bullshit, and is really funny. Apparently it was written by one of the writers of the UK sitcom Peep Show, so I just don't know if the humour translated to film critics expecting a black comedy horror film?

Sample dialogue:
Sheeeeeeit guy from The Wire: What would happen if we drank our own piss?
Senator always insulting his aide from Veep: We'd still die but the last thing we'd taste would be our own piss.

:rofl

I think this is gonna get a cult following on streaming

Seems this is the guy that wrote Four Lions. Hilarious movie.

Not sure if a movie about incompetent terrorists would fly today.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40243 on: March 25, 2022, 03:33:44 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 12:22:40 AM by team filler »

Tasty

« Reply #40244 on: March 25, 2022, 03:59:49 PM »
when I'm walking and I see any crows nearby, I call them "brother crow". a few months back I did a search for "brother crow" to see what comes up and it's that video  :hesright I've never seen that movie before, I was shocked  :titus

Last line was even "Ishallah" :lol

Leadbelly

« Reply #40245 on: March 25, 2022, 06:40:45 PM »
I watched The Medium last night. It's a Thai horror movie. I've seen Thai horror movies before, so I was expecting it to be a little bit goofy.... This one isn't. It's over 2 hours long and a bit of a slow burn, but the 3rd act is properly disturbing. It's quite something coming into the movie thinking you're going to get a bit of goofy schlock, but instead getting something that is dark, bleak and unforgiving. There's no happy ending. No redemption. There isn't even a reason given to make sense of it.

Leadbelly

« Reply #40246 on: March 25, 2022, 06:57:44 PM »

Yeah. I can't wait for that. Surprised no one posted this yet. It's another A24 horror movie that just came out.

Tasty

« Reply #40247 on: March 25, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
Just heard about it on the Mega64 podcast this morning. Definitely interested (in X). (And ecstacy. Hmu.) (Satire.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40248 on: March 25, 2022, 11:39:04 PM »
The Adam Project was a fun kids movie.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40249 on: March 26, 2022, 11:36:08 AM »
I want to see X, but it’s not showing around me.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #40250 on: March 27, 2022, 05:41:22 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/jared-leto-three-spider-man-actors-morbius-1234711548/

Star Wars
Pokemon
Star Trek
Google
DC Films/TV
The MCU
Spider-Man (New!)
Nintendo :miyamoto

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40251 on: March 27, 2022, 05:51:37 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:24:07 PM by team filler »

Polident Hive

« Reply #40252 on: March 27, 2022, 09:16:49 PM »
Spider-man whatever the new one was called. I was entertained. It was entertaining. That second star trek reboot movie, there's a moment where secret Khan says his name is Khan. Movie stops to give a pause for applause break. Comes off as an awkward silence when watching alone. This spider-man movie does that a couple times.

Deep Water. Watched this with someone because they thought it'd be some Gone Girl type movie. It's something alright. A ways in I took it as a dark comedy or a big budget The Room. The gist of it is Ben Affleck is a retired rich guy and reluctant cuckhold. 80% of the movie he's quietly riding his bike or watching his wife with other men from a distance. There's a not-really-mystery over these men she's having a relationship missing and dying. There's a subplot about Affleck having a bunch of snails. There's a subplot over the morality of making the computer chips for military drones. Neither of those subplots lead anywhere. This older failed screenwriter shows up in their friend group and immediately accuses Affleck of murder. For some reason they keep inviting him to intimate gatherings where he continues accusing Affleck of murder. I was entertained.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40253 on: March 28, 2022, 06:50:56 PM »
Went to see Hans Zimmer live in Amsterdam.

Of course he was very happy with the Oscar, reenacted the slap with one of his singers and called it a shit show.
He said he was much rather in Amsterdam to play music  :heart

And the music was magical :rejoice

Some of the best renditions of his work yet and unlike the previous concert it wasn't just going from song to song but actually mixed with nice transitions.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40254 on: March 28, 2022, 11:27:05 PM »
The Other Guys is damn good.  I don't generally like comedy movies, Will Ferrell, or mark Walberg, but this was great.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40255 on: March 29, 2022, 12:05:50 AM »
The Other Guys is damn good.  I don't generally like comedy movies, Will Ferrell, or mark Walberg, but this was great.

You've never done an "office pop" before?

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40256 on: March 29, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »
The Batman is the best batman movie, second if afflecks.

Tasty

« Reply #40257 on: March 29, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
Affleck didn't have a Batman movie. :wtf

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40258 on: March 29, 2022, 02:06:03 PM »
He was in a movie that had Batman in the title. :bolo
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40259 on: March 29, 2022, 02:07:06 PM »
Ya but he played Bruce Wayne in that one.