Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178070 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40140 on: February 13, 2022, 07:45:54 PM »
Oh shit, wonder what other cameos they are going to do.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
You talking about Sir Patrick Stewart's voice?
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40141 on: February 13, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »
ya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40142 on: February 13, 2022, 10:41:04 PM »
There's all kinds of crazy cameo rumors out there.  With it being the multiverse, it could be anyone.  Am guessing that the place Strange is taken to -where the HOLY SHIT IS IT WHO WE THINK IT IS voice sample plays- is supposed to be some version of the Illuminati.  Are we going to see a different Iron Man pop up there?
:thinking
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40143 on: February 13, 2022, 11:59:35 PM »
Maybe it was one of the Nazi Professor X's (there's more than one)

[close]
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #40144 on: February 14, 2022, 02:12:51 AM »
Antlers was a solid horror flick. It was surprisingly well shot & directed with good performances, but then you look at the career of the director who did Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges, Black Mass with Johnny Depp and Hostiles with Christian Bale, and he's a pretty seasoned dude so it makes sense.

Honestly it just has the same problem that 95% of all horror films have, which is that they take short stories which don't have much plot to them and work fine as a 20-30 page short story and stretch it out to a 90 min film with tension. Like it's good but there's just not a lot to it. I feel like the best horror movies are the ones that have a bit more interesting going on.

Apparently Guillermo Del Toro who produced it designed the effects and they're pretty good.

The Wendigo looks like a Dark Souls boss

Actually, now I wonder if Del Toro plays souls games. I'm gonna google this.

Ok, apparently he is a gamer but google didn't find any mention of Dark Souls from him in anything at this point.
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/guillermo-del-toro-fking-loves-videogames/

He'd make a good Bloodborne movie
[close]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 02:17:06 AM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40147 on: February 16, 2022, 11:16:13 PM »
Scream 5 was a lot of fun. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40148 on: February 17, 2022, 09:42:24 PM »

I like Baz Luhrman's stuff, and I loves me some Elvis.

Tasty

« Reply #40149 on: February 17, 2022, 09:45:09 PM »
I was just rewatching his Great Gatsby for the umpteenth time the other night.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40151 on: February 18, 2022, 01:04:29 PM »
Shame.  I'm a sucker for Indy knock-offs so I'll still watch and most likely enjoy it. 

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #40152 on: February 18, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »
It looked horribly miscast from the start, specifically Marky Mark as Sully.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:16:18 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40153 on: February 18, 2022, 08:20:05 PM »
Not enough southern flavor in that Elvis trailer. Kind of tired of surrealist takes on music icons.

What’s wrong with making them like Walk the Line? Great music biopic that isn’t so busy fellating itself with surrealistic imagery.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40154 on: February 18, 2022, 08:37:51 PM »
Not enough southern flavor in that Elvis trailer. Kind of tired of surrealist takes on music icons.

What’s wrong with making them like Walk the Line? Great music biopic that isn’t so busy fellating itself with surrealistic imagery.
It is Baz Luhrmann. Self fellation is kind of his thing.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #40155 on: February 20, 2022, 12:33:48 AM »
The Kings Man is worth watching for the credits scene alone. Surprised it hasn't been talked about more. Similarly, that Mark Wahlberg movie (eternal or immortal?) quietly dumped on streaming where he plays a reincarnated Japanese and Indonesian man.

At some point these tight theater to streaming service windows will go back to normal. Been nice. Think the only thing I didn't have to wait about a month for is that spider-man movie. Regret being lazy and not heading out for Dune. The Batman is shaping up to be the first movie I've seen in theaters since all this.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40156 on: February 20, 2022, 08:20:20 AM »

:dead

The Kings Man is worth watching for the credits scene alone.

The scene with Lenin and Hitler shaking hands to prep for the sequel? :rofl

NGL, I kinda want to see a Matthew Vaughn helmed League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen adaptation that skews closer to the source, because Kingsman strongly veers into that territory

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40157 on: February 20, 2022, 10:33:32 AM »
Watched the Death of Stalin again with all the going ons in the east.

So such a utterly ridiculous movie and because of it a hidden gem.
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40160 on: February 22, 2022, 03:16:54 AM »

John Mulaney + The Lonely Island? :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #40161 on: February 22, 2022, 07:58:06 PM »
“It Was Horrible”: Inside Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy’s Mad Max War

You really felt this change in their mood. Just the way that they were talking to each other when they were off camera, I went, What the fuck? Who gave them molly?

Lots of great bits in this article, much of the top cast and crew were interviewed.

Tasty

« Reply #40162 on: February 23, 2022, 05:02:10 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/warnermedia-discovery-april-close-att-deal-1235188683/

According to two people familiar with the matter, with Discovery’s shareholder vote on the deal — which has already received regulatory approval from the DOJ — set for March 11, the two companies are preparing for a close somewhere between April 11-28.

HEY AT&T!!!!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40163 on: February 23, 2022, 08:36:17 PM »
Possible paywall if you've exceeded your VF limit, but this is an interesting thing I hadn't known about:
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy-charlize-theron-excerpt

Tasty

« Reply #40164 on: February 23, 2022, 09:04:43 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-trek-sequel-reveal-surprised-its-own-stars-1235097557/

During the Paramount investor day, producer J.J. Abrams — who rebooted the sci-fi franchise for the big screen in 2009 — revealed that the USS Enterprise was being readied for a new flight. “We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new Star Trek film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast,” Abrams said.

The proclamation came as a surprise, not just to observers who have been watching the movie studio haltingly try to revive Trek on the big screen for years, but to the actors and their representatives as well.

The hope is to begin filming in the fall in order to make the Dec. 22, 2023, theatrical release. The script is still being worked on, according to sources, and there is no green light or budget in place.

Sounds great. I'm sure this cursed project won't fall apart for the... third? fourth? time.

Tasty

« Reply #40165 on: February 23, 2022, 09:30:41 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:39:24 PM by Tasty »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #40166 on: February 25, 2022, 01:19:40 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #40168 on: February 28, 2022, 01:13:26 AM »
Free Guy - Cute flick. Did a good job not being "VIDEOGAMEZZZ" cringy. Between the Wreck it Ralph stuff and this it's like Hollywood might actually stop making dumb cringy videogame stuff.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40169 on: February 28, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
Ya Free Guy was surprisingly competent. 

Polident Hive

« Reply #40170 on: February 28, 2022, 01:11:50 PM »
Free Guy, Jungle Cruise, Red Notice, Lost City of D, and movies like them all read as stuff I would've watched on TBS or Starz at 2 AM a decade or so ago. It's cool.

On video games in movies, there's this recent hbo movie that's a christmas story remake of sorts about a kid in the 80s trying to get an NES. These movies tend to hit that 80s video game wave, like Wreck It Ralph did, or the modern Fortnite style, as in Free Guy. Not much inbetween. Makes sense given you want to appeal to kids or adults with kids.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #40171 on: February 28, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »
Did a good job not being "VIDEOGAMEZZZ" cringy.
I don't mind Free Guy but this is easily in the top five of the worst things ever put to film:

Bebpo

« Reply #40172 on: February 28, 2022, 02:52:14 PM »
Did a good job not being "VIDEOGAMEZZZ" cringy.
I don't mind Free Guy but this is easily in the top five of the worst things ever put to film:

I mean it's dumb, but it's purposely dumb. I think it was fine and the Chris Evans bit got a laugh out of me.

It's a silly movie and the logic is 100% nonsense, but it doesn't take itself seriously so that's fine. A dev friend of mine fucking hates Free Guy because it reminds him of Matrix 4 if the stereotype developer stuff in Matrix 4 was the whole film. He's super salty about Taika's representation of game directors in Free Guy. But like the difference is that Matrix 4 took itself seriously whereas Free Guy does not at all.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40173 on: March 01, 2022, 02:56:28 PM »
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40175 on: March 02, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »
Eh, I'll wait for Frosted.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40176 on: March 02, 2022, 07:24:29 PM »

Polident Hive

« Reply #40177 on: March 02, 2022, 07:54:00 PM »
Curious about the localized title for Japan. Can't really retain the double meaning.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40178 on: March 02, 2022, 08:06:11 PM »
Happy Ash Wednesday, you primitive screwheads.

http://twitter.com/raydaviesteeth_/status/1498645369923768322

Curious about the localized title for Japan. Can't really retain the double meaning.
It will almost certainly be a katakana バレットトレイン、and retain the double meaning.

Tasty

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40180 on: March 03, 2022, 07:06:16 AM »
Just watched Ghostbusters Afterlife. Why was this movie made? What purpose does it serve? It also has a really tenuous link to Ghostbusters.
Spud

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40181 on: March 03, 2022, 02:07:49 PM »
Why even watch it? I think that alone proves why movies like that are made.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40182 on: March 03, 2022, 02:10:40 PM »
Just watched Ghostbusters Afterlife. Why was this movie made? What purpose does it serve? It also has a really tenuous link to Ghostbusters.

I can't help but feel its existence is almost entirely just to wipe away the stank GB2016 did to something they still consider a money making IP

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40183 on: March 03, 2022, 06:17:16 PM »
it's for the kids, same way the original was  :doge

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40184 on: March 03, 2022, 06:40:55 PM »
Why even watch it? I think that alone proves why movies like that are made.
My kids wanted to watch it and my partner pestered me until I gave in.

Family movie night really sucks sometimes.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40185 on: March 03, 2022, 06:43:14 PM »

I can't help but feel its existence is almost entirely just to wipe away the stank GB2016 did to something they still consider a money making IP
Probably, but they could have put some effort into it rather than just going for the, "Look, we have the kid from Stranger Things signed up, let's shoehorn this obviously unrelated script from another project into Ghostbusters so we can try to resuscitate the reputation of the original film" option.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #40186 on: March 03, 2022, 08:41:28 PM »
New Batman's good. Not super paranoid about restrictions and such, but for the first time going back to theaters in two years, was happy to see a mostly empty theater. Especially sitting there for three hours. Think it's because they had a special fan screening on Monday and it's expected to open tomorrow on Friday. Not complaining that it randomly opened on Thursday.

Couple things I found interesting, without spoilers. Within the landscape of big hollywood movies, especially superhero fare, it's closer to a blade runner 2049 or the director's own war for the planet of the apes. Dune was  popular and it was a relatively slower burn big movie without jokes or being a lighthearted fun power fantasy adventure. If Nolan was making Batman by way of Bond, this seems informed by Reeves digging 90s David Fincher, The Crow, Nirvana, and that sort. Not that it isn't basically Nolan Batman v2. It's a grounded realistic Batman that is its own thing, far more than those were. It's cool that it is its own pocket irrespective of whatever is happening with the next dozen years of shared universe stuff.

To get all :expert

This is a me thing being roughly in the same generation as Robert Pattinson. Growing up with this all, Batman has always been this older adult figure. Aspirational isn't the word. I took it as you were meant to identify with various Robins or Batgirl or Terry, where Batman was mythical but still relatable. Here, I end up identifying with Batman in a way I haven't before. And not just because one of the three hours is just him sitting at home playing Elden Ring. Feeling old.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #40187 on: March 03, 2022, 10:29:11 PM »
New Batman is fucking great. Batman Runner 2049 is a great way to describe it.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40188 on: March 04, 2022, 01:53:58 AM »
Reading some complaints about it being too long at three hours. And of other movies lately. I'm into it. Likely influenced by the avengers movie being three hours and the biggest thing ever. It's cool. That last Bond movie is the only time I felt bored, in a movie I found entertaining. Peaked with the first action screen and almost too much action for the rest of the movie.

Once read Denis Villeneuve wants to do a five or six hour version of Dune with both parts. That may get trying, but I enjoyed justice league and the lotr extended editions. Never been bold enough to join friends for 11 hours watching the whole trilogy back to back.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40189 on: March 04, 2022, 02:04:43 AM »
I never felt bored during the 4h11m cut of Once Upon a Time in America. Only boring films make you feel bored.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40190 on: March 04, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »
Das Boot has a 5 hour version and that is the best version
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #40191 on: March 04, 2022, 12:47:08 PM »
New Judd Apatow directed film dropping on Netflix in a month. I've liked every film he's directed himself so I'll be looking forward to that. His depressing humor dramady style clicks with me.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40192 on: March 04, 2022, 01:58:39 PM »
Sleeping on it, only moment I had a negative reaction to in Batman, and hopefully I do spoiler tags right,

I’ll be vague to be safe. If you seen it, it’s clear. That one sequel tease moment towards the end. Really clunky and a little awkward.
[close]

It’s fun to read up on how it came to be. Director initially walked away because he didn’t want to deal with the usual WB and DC people. They were so in the dirt, they had Ridley Scott and Denis Villeneuve saying no. Supposedly they were trying to do a straight recast for Ben Affleck. The director won in the end and had his own producers and such and was inoculated from all that stuff. Probably the best case scenario.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40193 on: March 04, 2022, 02:18:26 PM »
Hated that part too

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40194 on: March 04, 2022, 03:03:36 PM »

I liked it, still collecting my overall thoughts but my attention was held the entire three hours, which I was doubtful of before seeing the movie.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #40195 on: March 04, 2022, 03:12:41 PM »
They made another fucking batman movie?

Let me guess, they kill the parents of the kid

GET A NEW STORY YOU IMBECILES
:O

Polident Hive

« Reply #40196 on: March 04, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »
Half paying attention to the previews there’s a batman movie with Michael Keaton and Jared Leto. And later they showed a trailer for batman, the movie we were about to watch, intercut with presumably other batman movies. The Rock is playing batman in one of them.

Only non batman trailer was that jordan peele movie. A+++ body shaking bass there. Regret missing Dune in theaters.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #40197 on: March 04, 2022, 04:05:29 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40198 on: March 04, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
Seeing that there is an animated movie with keanu voicing Batman made me big smile, I’m genuinely looking forward to that.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40199 on: March 05, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
Ya, I really liked it.  Getting Scream 5 and Matrix 4 at about the same time was also fun, since they both go in-your-face meta.