Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4180406 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40080 on: January 27, 2022, 04:26:40 AM »
Lester was brought in when they fired Donner after most of Superman II had already been shot. He's the one who added a lot of the great "humor" to II.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40081 on: January 27, 2022, 10:12:00 AM »
The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers were great though. :rejoice
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40083 on: January 27, 2022, 02:33:24 PM »
I thought the Disney+ logo was being cropped off at the bottom.
©@©™

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40084 on: January 29, 2022, 12:41:59 PM »
Watched Room 237. That doc about The Shining. It’s bullshit isn’t it. Right from the start some dude claims it’s not a film about a mad drunk going mad. It’s about the massacre of the Indians. This is based on the film’s Brit advertising blurb, The tide of terror which swept across America is here. To most people that would imply the film frightened a lot of Americans. Then there’s some wibble about a bunch of cans with an Indian picture on them. What the dude doesn’t mention is that there’s a bunch of other cans like Heinz, and packets of Oreo’s in the scenes. After that there’s a bunch of other bollocks about windows and carpets and missing furniture. My favourite one was the dude who insisted that Kubrick put a subliminal image of a dude with a hard on. They slow the scene down and all it is is the hotel manager standing next to a tray.

Tasty

« Reply #40085 on: January 29, 2022, 12:54:23 PM »
That "docu" was infuriating lol. So much batshit meandering about nothing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40086 on: January 29, 2022, 06:55:59 PM »
Watched DUNC on the OLED with the Atmos Soundbar on the Xbox Series X  8)

Just as good as it was in the cinema. The story, the visuals, the music, the pacing. This movie is perfect :lawd

This epic piece of work by Villeneuve reminded me I need to watch Blade Runner 2049 again
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40087 on: January 29, 2022, 11:54:18 PM »
Watched DUNC on the OLED with the Atmos Soundbar on the Xbox Series X  8)

Just as good as it was in the cinema. The story, the visuals, the music, the pacing. This movie is perfect :lawd

This epic piece of work by Villeneuve reminded me I need to watch Blade Runner 2049 again
I haven't watched Blade Runner since film and tv class in high school and have never watched 2049.

Reminds me that I need to do a back to back session and then I need to watch Dune too.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40088 on: January 30, 2022, 07:45:44 AM »
I always forget Children Of Men ends with this depressingly-always-relevant banger until it kicks in

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40089 on: February 01, 2022, 12:43:04 AM »
DEMONIC - Neill Blomkamp made the beginnings of a great new franchise, with remarkably efficient visual effects, and then apparently got bored during the script review and editing phase.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Woman who is estranged from her imprisoned, criminal mother is requested to assist with an experimental technology. This new science allows us to enter the minds of the comatose in a virtualized space, like CELL or DREAMSCAPE. The effects in these sequences use the corruption inherent in LiDAR assisted capture and camera tracking to "simply" create eerie effects of a dilapidated world. The woman agrees to meet with her mother, in part to have a final chance to voice her unending hatred for ruining her life. The mother accepts the blame and hatred, and insists that the daughter leave immediately and never look back. Another figure appears in the simulation, terrifying the daughter, who flees.

The research group is revealed to secretly be a Vatican-funded SpecOps group which seek out possessed individuals and attempt to cleanse them from the world. If you like RPGs, this is a bit like Kenneth Hite's Night's Black Agents setting, or even The Dracula Dossier.
[close]

So far, so good, right? But then:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The film completely ignores its own internal logic and structure. The SpecOps doctors have stated that they're unaware of what happens in the simulation, which may be a lie to gain plausible deniability, but they're seen actively observing the simulation and the daughter's progress in it in something like isometric view in Unreal Engine Editor. They ask the daughter if she saw anyone else in the simulation, and she evades telling them that there was a hulking crow demon in there with her. The SpecOps asks if she knows where the building is that she visited in the simulation, though this is the very building her mother burned down, killing over 20 people, so this would be a matter of public record.

The demon is somehow able to visit the world at large, and begins marauding the daughter's friends, and she's driven to help them. This leads to an encounter with the SpecOps team, who have apparently moved the comatose body of the mother to the burned facility, and somehow ENTIRELY fucked up the exorcism. The lead operator has been possessed, and is still working to capture and inhabit the daughter. SOMEHOW the daughter overpowers this Vatican supersoldier, and stabs him with the Spear of Longinus. The demon then enters the daughter because reasons. She stabs herself with the Spear, the demon hops out, but then apparently finally dies.
[close]

Blomkamp: Camera work is cheap and effective. Meaty, grotesque effects. Remarkably efficient use of LiDAR and motion-tracked camera effects. If he'd spent more time thinking about grounding it in reality like he did with District 9, this could have started a franchise. I think he became bored but was contractually obligated. A real shame.

Bebpo

« Reply #40090 on: February 01, 2022, 01:09:15 AM »
I like Blomkamp and I like horror, but the reviews and word of mouth is so bad I don't plan on ever watching it.  :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40091 on: February 01, 2022, 02:22:42 AM »
I like Blomkamp and I like horror, but the reviews and word of mouth is so bad I don't plan on ever watching it.  :'(

I haven't seen a gorgeous-but-wasted opportunity like this since SPLICE.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #40092 on: February 01, 2022, 03:01:21 AM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40093 on: February 01, 2022, 08:12:59 AM »
Its sad to say, some of Blomkamps best stuff is the Oats Studios shorts because he can just have an idea and not go beyond it with things like a coherent narrative or character depth like you expect from a full film.

Tasty

« Reply #40094 on: February 01, 2022, 08:19:00 AM »
That cancel line ::)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40095 on: February 01, 2022, 09:34:07 AM »
The Haddonfield Chainsaw Massacre
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #40096 on: February 01, 2022, 07:49:21 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40097 on: February 02, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »

Looks like a fantastic new take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #40098 on: February 02, 2022, 08:18:50 PM »
They had me at Tony Todd.  :-*

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40099 on: February 03, 2022, 01:13:21 PM »

Some good looking stuff in there.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40100 on: February 03, 2022, 06:47:50 PM »
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40101 on: February 03, 2022, 07:57:18 PM »
It's gonna be great to find out what kind of script notes Ed Norton Jr. gives Rian Johnson.  ::)

Here's a weird take on witches:

Bebpo

« Reply #40102 on: February 04, 2022, 02:12:21 AM »
Menace II Society - Never saw this before, but it was good. Felt very Goodfellas and watching the director interviews after yeah they talk about being heavily influenced by that. Opening scene is still pretty disturbing.

Tasty

« Reply #40103 on: February 04, 2022, 02:16:35 AM »
Menace II Society - Never saw this before, but it was good. Felt very Goodfellas and watching the director interviews after yeah they talk about being heavily influenced by that. Opening scene is still pretty disturbing.

Just watched this one last year. I had to adjust to some of the editing decisions but after the half-hour mark I was totally immeresed.

I love referencing this scene with my friends, even if it's a little fucked up lmao.

The uncensored version is just insane with the squibs, lmao

You see a chunk of meat fly off his back, goddamn.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #40104 on: February 04, 2022, 11:55:12 PM »
wait until you see part 1  :mynicca

Bebpo

« Reply #40106 on: February 05, 2022, 02:21:12 AM »
Nightmare Alley was good! Like it was kind of too downer of a movie for me, but it was a good movie and looked great. Such a great cast, costume and set design. 2.5 hours just flew by. Felt like a darker Coen brothers movie tbh and reminded me most of Crimson Peak from Del Toro's output. He's such a great director. Hope we get that Mountains of Madness someday.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #40107 on: February 05, 2022, 07:51:58 PM »

I think the build up is too long for the pay off, but still ok.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 08:04:21 PM by Rahxephon91 »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40108 on: February 05, 2022, 09:35:27 PM »
Saw Licorice Pizza last week and thought it was mediocre.

Felt like a bunch of random PTA skits thrown together. There are some great scenes and memorable performances, but not enough to overcome the aimlessness of the script. That tight-wire act that his previous movies like Boogie Nights were able to overcome.

Wasn’t really a protagonist in the film, the coming of age aspect of it was disregarded, the relationship never felt real or dramatic enough to want to see it resolved.

It’s going to get Oscar noms but they are not deserved.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40109 on: February 06, 2022, 08:39:28 AM »
I saw Werewolves Within and was a little disappointed it didn't lean far enough into either the comedy or the horror side of things, and the 'mystery' was blatantly obvious from very early on, but BY FAR the funniest thing about it is that it's apparently based on an Ubisoft game? :rofl

Bebpo

« Reply #40110 on: February 06, 2022, 04:56:16 PM »
Saw Licorice Pizza last week and thought it was mediocre.

Felt like a bunch of random PTA skits thrown together. There are some great scenes and memorable performances, but not enough to overcome the aimlessness of the script. That tight-wire act that his previous movies like Boogie Nights were able to overcome.

Wasn’t really a protagonist in the film, the coming of age aspect of it was disregarded, the relationship never felt real or dramatic enough to want to see it resolved.

It’s going to get Oscar noms but they are not deserved.

That sucks. Was looking forward to it. 2021 has not been kind to some good directors.

First I hear that French Dispatch is a very weak Wes Anderson film to the point I've been deterred from watching it yet. Now Licorice Pizza is a weak PT Anderson film? :(
I haven't seen the new Bond either since I hear it's pretty meh despite Fukunaga directing and I really like Fukunaga's style.

At least Nightmare Alley was a good Del Toro film and The Last Duel was a solid Ridley Scott movie. And of course Dune was a fine Villenueve film.

Quaker

« Reply #40111 on: February 07, 2022, 01:23:23 AM »
Nightmare Alley was good! Like it was kind of too downer of a movie for me, but it was a good movie and looked great. Such a great cast, costume and set design. 2.5 hours just flew by. Felt like a darker Coen brothers movie tbh and reminded me most of Crimson Peak from Del Toro's output. He's such a great director. Hope we get that Mountains of Madness someday.
Yeah, by now I can understand people getting tired of his style and reducing it to "elevated Tim Burton", but the guy figured out how to make his fucked up, weirdo movies on a budget within the modern studio system without having to dumb them down. Even Hellboy and Pacific Rim are exponentially more interesting compared to the latter day Hellboy and Godzilla movies.

(I've tried Blade 2 a couple of times since some people still really like it, but I can't really get over the CGI.)

It felt a little weird seeing a Del Toro movie without the supernatural element, but Bradley Cooper was fantastic and the art deco production design was enough for me for me not to be bored for the 2 1/2 hours. Plus he rounds out the cast with some great actors that are only in it for like a scene or two(the anvil head dude from Mindhunter, Richard Jenkins, David Strathairn, Willem Dafoe...).

Plus the guy sounds like a genius whenever he's interviewed. Even though English isn't his first language, the way he manages to perfectly articulate his vision/methods is pretty amazing.

https://soundcloud.com/thedirectorscut/nightmare-alley-with-guillermo-del-toro-and-tim-blake-nelson-ep-344

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2022/01/31/1076982548/fresh-air-for-jan-31-2022-filmmaker-guillermo-del-toro

Bebpo

« Reply #40112 on: February 07, 2022, 02:34:16 AM »
Bradley Cooper gives his best not-Bradley Cooper performance. Almost non-recognizable.

And yeah the supporting cast are excellent. Dafoe just chews scenery. I like Rooney Mara but she basically didn't get to do anything besides be cute & meek. Cate Blanchett is digging deep into the sexy roles as she's getting older which is kind of ironic because I don't remember her doing those kind of roles when she was younger. But both this and Don't Look Up she's doing the sexy thing. Ron Perlman is always nice to have in films but all his stuff anymore comes across like he's retired and doesn't give a fuck lol Lots of great smaller bits too.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40113 on: February 07, 2022, 04:05:37 AM »
Bradley Cooper gives his best not-Bradley Cooper performance. Almost non-recognizable.

And yeah the supporting cast are excellent. Dafoe just chews scenery. I like Rooney Mara but she basically didn't get to do anything besides be cute & meek. Cate Blanchett is digging deep into the sexy roles as she's getting older which is kind of ironic because I don't remember her doing those kind of roles when she was younger. But both this and Don't Look Up she's doing the sexy thing. Ron Perlman is always nice to have in films but all his stuff anymore comes across like he's retired and doesn't give a fuck lol Lots of great smaller bits too.
Sexy older Cate Blanchett  :aah :whew :obama :delicious :mouf :quark :checkit :ohyeah :pitbull
Spud

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #40114 on: February 07, 2022, 09:36:53 AM »
I’ll say it again. Nightmare Alley was the best movie of 2021.

Bebpo

« Reply #40115 on: February 07, 2022, 01:05:35 PM »

Sexy older Cate Blanchett  :aah :whew :obama :delicious :mouf :quark :checkit :ohyeah :pitbull

Yeah, she's still got it for sure.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #40116 on: February 07, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »
Did'nt really like Nightmare Alley compared to the original. It felt pretty miscast and I don't think Bradley Cooper was good in it. Looked great though. Also, too much backstory that Im assuming is from the book. Pretty boring honestly.

Bebpo

« Reply #40117 on: February 07, 2022, 10:26:41 PM »
Ok, I watched Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch. I'm a pretty big Wes Anderson fan. Moonrise Kingdom is one of my top10 of all time.

This was one of the most boring films I've ever seen.

Visually the amount of detail and time he put into every single shot in the movie is unhealthy. There is so much detail and every shot looks like the perfect photograph. It would be an amazing coffee table book of photographs & postcards.

But the movie has almost no heart & soul, paper thin story and characters. A million cameos but no one does much. It's a really boring unengaging movie and probably one of the most pretentious films I've seen.

If this is peak Wes Anderson, then I hope he comes off his peak by the next film and dials it back. All the characters feel like Wes Anderson archetypes from his other films. But it just lacks the charm of his other works. Maybe short story format doesn't fit him too well because he needs more time to develop characters and have a story that pulls together.

It's just such a nothing movie besides visuals. I did like Chalamet but he's just playing a Michael Cera/Jason Schwartzman/Tony Revolori character.

I guess the Benecio Del Toro part was the best, but it was still pretty meh.

benjipwns

« Reply #40118 on: February 08, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40119 on: February 08, 2022, 02:03:41 PM »
Madam, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a rape crisis center.
©@©™

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #40120 on: February 08, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »
Jesus, what a fucking shit level take.  Robocop is the polar opposite of copaganda (which is a TikTok'd term itself)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40121 on: February 08, 2022, 02:29:22 PM »
Judge Dredd is copaganda.  Also the Punisher. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40122 on: February 08, 2022, 03:16:19 PM »
That can't be correct.  Also, Apocalypse Now is my favourite waraganda movie.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40123 on: February 08, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »
Terminator 2 is my favourite botaganda movie. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40124 on: February 08, 2022, 03:44:32 PM »
Silence of the Lambs is my favourite cannibaganda movie.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40125 on: February 08, 2022, 03:52:18 PM »
Also, I'm going to stop now -- not because you asked -- but because I'm pretty sure I peaked at 'cannibaganda'. 

Tasty

« Reply #40127 on: February 08, 2022, 11:24:07 PM »
Gaga was snubbed hardest.  :'(

Edit- Lol why is that one smiley suddenly broken.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40128 on: February 09, 2022, 01:48:51 AM »
Also, I'm going to stop now -- not because you asked -- but because I'm pretty sure I peaked at 'cannibaganda'.

You did.

Borealis

« Reply #40129 on: February 09, 2022, 03:58:38 AM »
Ok, I watched Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch. I'm a pretty big Wes Anderson fan. Moonrise Kingdom is one of my top10 of all time.

This was one of the most boring films I've ever seen.

Visually the amount of detail and time he put into every single shot in the movie is unhealthy. There is so much detail and every shot looks like the perfect photograph. It would be an amazing coffee table book of photographs & postcards.

But the movie has almost no heart & soul, paper thin story and characters. A million cameos but no one does much. It's a really boring unengaging movie and probably one of the most pretentious films I've seen.

If this is peak Wes Anderson, then I hope he comes off his peak by the next film and dials it back. All the characters feel like Wes Anderson archetypes from his other films. But it just lacks the charm of his other works. Maybe short story format doesn't fit him too well because he needs more time to develop characters and have a story that pulls together.

It's just such a nothing movie besides visuals. I did like Chalamet but he's just playing a Michael Cera/Jason Schwartzman/Tony Revolori character.

I guess the Benecio Del Toro part was the best, but it was still pretty meh.

Really wasn't enough connective tissue with Arthur Howitzer Jr or build up to the conclusion. Like someone literally picked at random three mildly interesting articles from Howitzer Jr's time as editor and ran with it.

The film didn't have centre around Bill Murray's screen time, but there wasn't anything compelling about any of the stories apart from del Toro and Jeffrey Wright's performances plus Seydoux in pose haha.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:17:44 PM by Borealis »

Tasty

« Reply #40130 on: February 09, 2022, 09:47:26 AM »

Keenly following Alex Garland's career. Don't know what to make of this trailer at all but I'm excited nonetheless.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40131 on: February 09, 2022, 08:49:48 PM »
Saw that Trailer. Green Man in the church - I'm hoping it's about the fae.

Meanwhile, this is a welcome remake from Blumhouse:

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40132 on: February 09, 2022, 09:30:19 PM »
Looks like a good adaptation, but...damn I thought we were done with adapting Stephen King books about pubescent girls
 :steel

How is that man not cancelled?
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #40133 on: February 09, 2022, 11:12:16 PM »
The Tale of Zatoichi (1962) - Was good. It's just a simple samurai vs samurai showdown flick, but the two samurai characters are good and the rest of the film is solid. Works as a first movie. I've never seen any of the originals, just the Beat Takeshi 2003 remake, so will be interesting to see how much better they get from here.

Action scenes were kind of hokey is the most dated part. Like playing with paper swords. Character stuff is still good.

Bebpo

« Reply #40134 on: February 11, 2022, 06:52:04 PM »
My friend whose a huge Soderbergh fan says Kimi sucked because Koepp's script sucks. It's 91% RT but Unsane was 80% RT and that was pretty mediocre too. Will watch myself but ample warning.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40135 on: February 12, 2022, 04:09:00 AM »
The Rhythm Section
Nice when movies come along that show the range of an actor that usually coasts by on celebrity. Blake Lively is believable and between her acting and the shit setup, the difference between which she was and what she becomes is stunningly effective. Felt like a LeCarre thriller. Dark as shit. Loved it.

benjipwns

Tasty

« Reply #40137 on: February 13, 2022, 06:32:49 PM »
:lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40139 on: February 13, 2022, 07:36:55 PM »
Oh shit, wonder what other cameos they are going to do.