Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141537 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40441 on: May 08, 2022, 02:01:12 PM »

David Cronenburg :jeb

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40442 on: May 08, 2022, 04:43:24 PM »
After thinking this movie over for a bit I have to say that Marvel Phase 4 is a big dud so far. After Strange 2 I'm probably skipping the cinematic releases again with the exception of Guardians 3.
Marvel is fast turning into Disney Star Wars+. Just a way to cash in for the actors as the CG department does all the work anyway.

I could tell the director tried but he had to put in so many references to TV shows and contentTM that the whole thing barely made any sense.

I could sense the dissapointment in the movie theatre, when
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Strange asked if the heroes in the other universe were the Avengers, SHIELD or Hydra and they said: "We are the illuminati" in the most serious way imaginable.
[close]
a girl burst out laughing.

Same when the Asian dude tried to say: "Wundagore" and could barely pronounce it. The guy looks constipated in nearly every scene anyway.
Most of the things the movie brought up didn't actually matter so it's difficult to care about what is happening on screen.
Wanda has the Darkold and uses the evil magic, someone destroys it and dies.
No one cares this person died but she seemed important? Whatever, turns out the book was just a copy of what was carved into a tower.

The other book, the book of vishanti is said to be this all powerful thing but it just goes poof. Nobody cares.

In the other universe we meet Christine again, Strange's estranged Fiance. All her super hero friends(?) die, she doesn't care.
Even during the fight the other heroes don't care that their friends die gruesome deaths. I guess it's the nobody cares universe?

Not to mention they end up in the most boring ass different universe you can imagine. The only difference seems to be that traffic lights are reversed (green is go, red is wait).

Wanda is this all powerful witch who can snap the neck of Charles Xavier with just her thoughts. Yet she can't keep a child from running away?
[close]
It's a confusing mess and some really cool scenes just can't save it.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #40443 on: May 09, 2022, 11:38:36 PM »
The Forever Purge - Was ok, not terrible or anything. Better than the 4th one and probably about the same as the 3rd one.

I still think Purge 2 Escape From NY w/Frank Grillo is the only one that's great. They really missed out on just making the franchise Frank Grillo action hero series.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40444 on: May 10, 2022, 12:16:01 AM »
Dark Waters was great.  Not Spotlight great but pretty-great great.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40446 on: May 10, 2022, 06:13:45 AM »
Watched Spring Breakers again last night. Love that film. Not everyone did though -

"Worst movie I've ever seen. The movie is literally a 2 hours music video with boobs, drugs and asses everywhere. I left the the Theater after 30 minutes of this"

:neogaf

Tasty

« Reply #40447 on: May 10, 2022, 07:17:09 AM »
Spring Breakers should have gotten an Oscar for that Britney cover scene.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40448 on: May 10, 2022, 08:46:02 AM »
I got Scarface on repeat. Scarface on repeat constant yo

Tasty

« Reply #40449 on: May 10, 2022, 09:23:26 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/justin-lin-fast-10-breaking-point-vin-diesel-1235139195/

About what I expected.

New director is Louis Leterrier (worked on Clash of the Titans, Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, and the Transporter films).

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40450 on: May 10, 2022, 11:26:49 AM »
Watched Hail Caesar because somehow I missed it on release and I love the Coens stuff.
I was laughing for like, a solid 5 minutes at a bit where an actor is trying to say "would that it were so simple", and the later pay off to that gag, plus some great one liners ("It's not about money, it's about economics")

I seem to recall there was a kerfuffle about lack of diversity in casting in it when it came out, which is pretty :huh given its set in like, late 1940s Hollywood and the casting is pretty great; like, you could aim that criticism at a lot of their works, but I don't know why this one got singled out.

Tasty

« Reply #40452 on: May 10, 2022, 01:38:38 PM »
Doc Strange 2
Strange: "Wanda is the biggest threat in the multiverse!"

Illuminati: "Lol no u are"

Strange: "She's fucking dangerous!"

Illuminati: "We can handle her bro, no sweat"

* Wanda kills the entire Illuminati in ten seconds flat *

Illuminati:  :pika
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #40453 on: May 10, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »
Also, Marvel's gettin' real lazy with these mid/post-credits scenes.

Tasty

« Reply #40454 on: May 10, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/doctor-strange-2-fail-safe-multiverse-require-endgame-1235141578/

Good article, I'm treating Phase 4 like Phase 1 Redux. It's basically a new start to what could presumably be a three-Phase act structure once more.

Phase 1 with its origin stories and table-setting wasn't as exciting even at the time outside Iron Man (though I do like Cap 1) until The Avengers put all the pieces in place for the first time. I could see this going similarly.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40455 on: May 10, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »
So, while their deaths tread on the emotional connection audiences have with those characters, they’re essentially meaningless; the regular versions are still ready to appear in the MCU moving forward.
This is the problem with all-you-can-eat multiverses. Everything is meaningless.

Nearly everything in Strange 2 is meaningless.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40456 on: May 10, 2022, 11:22:30 PM »
Doc Strange 2, further thoughts
This Reed Richards is a fucking moron. Smartest man in the multiverse? Christ dude.

They clearly defeated Thanos on Titan without doing a time heist or presumably Blip at all, so they have the Infinity Stones.

Offer to create some pocket reality for Wanda with a blank slate version of her kids.

Or let Wanda supplant their universe's Wanda, and give that Wanda a mind wipe and blank slate kids, or robot kids or something. Richards is usually shown doing grey-area stuff like this.

I guess this Xavier isn't an Omega Level mutant. Otherwise the MCU power levels are kinda wack.

The more I think on this movie the more I think it did my girl Wanda dirty. She was probably my favorite MCU character, honestly. I think Bucky was second. I just wonder what Cap would think of her in this movie. Yeah yeah "she's corrupted" etc. but the movie did a really poor job showing any kind of transition, felt very abrupt. And her sacrificing herself at the end is dumb too.

Also unless future films deal with what that recent Rick & Morty episode did (basically Morty takes it on himself to go back and fix the realities he and mostly Rick messed up as best he can, taking responsibility), I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. That reality where the Illuminati got merked is probably absolutely fucked going forward. Again if Cap were around he'd be all about going back and doing their best now that they've gotten introduced.

The handwavy explanation for why they probably won't do anything of the sort is twofold: first, "incursions" are the scary boogeyman for why you should never stay in a different reality long or at all, and second, the destruction of the evil book and that scary mountain temple (the latter was just in "616" tho, right...? :thinking) prevents dreamwalking or whatever (which was "evil" already).

On the other hand, America mastered her power this film. And I guess Charlize Theron can do it too. Feels like Strange needs to step up for his universe's actions imo, or The Avengers in general.

PS- America being a Nexus Being or whatever and Wanda not being one (despite speculation being so when WandaVision aired) is really lame.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #40457 on: May 11, 2022, 12:53:15 AM »

I legit teared up. 😭

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40458 on: May 11, 2022, 01:07:20 AM »
Doctor Strange was awesome but not nearly as seamless in construction as most Marvel movies, let alone NWH, which does a thousand things and pulls it off near flawlessly.  I think any Sam Raimi fan will love it.  It had a ton of horror and weird comedy.  Some of the silliness works, some doesn't but overall it works together.  I think people expecting a movie about Strange with character development will not be happy.  It makes an excellent last episode or epilogue of Wandavision.  It was basically just one long action sequence.

I loved how it wrapped up Wanda's arc, and gave her redemption in the end.  I also loved the mcguffin was a red herring and the resolution to fighting Wanda made sense.  However, a lot of the scenes didn't have enough foreshadowing and were just weird things that happened due to multiverse shenanigans, which is when the seams really show.

My favourite part was non-Marvel people laughing at how goofy Black Bolt's power is and then awwing in shock when his head explodes.
[close]

I can see what it's getting less praise compared to recent Marvel movies but it hit really well for me.

benjipwns

« Reply #40459 on: May 11, 2022, 01:12:30 AM »
Doc Strange 2, further thoughts
They clearly defeated Thanos on Titan without doing a time heist or presumably Blip at all, so they have the Infinity Stones.

Also unless future films deal with what that recent Rick & Morty episode did (basically Morty takes it on himself to go back and fix the realities he and mostly Rick messed up as best he can, taking responsibility), I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. That reality where the Illuminati got merked is probably absolutely fucked going forward. Again if Cap were around he'd be all about going back and doing their best now that they've gotten introduced.

The handwavy explanation for why they probably won't do anything of the sort is twofold: first, "incursions" are the scary boogeyman for why you should never stay in a different reality long or at all
[close]
They had to do this because they never actually figured out a solution of how to stop Thanos, they just handwaved the entire thing with "well, time travel obviously." (Not saying it's easy to do even a master like Zack Snyder was going to resort to time travel for his Justice League trilogy even if it also wasn't going to undo everything.) They tried to write in a hardcoded theory of how time works when Thanos has the ability to rewrite reality itself so they based the entire solution around Thanos not thinking to go back and grab the gems at an earlier date himself. Now the rest of the MCU has to operate within these theories created for a single plot device even as they try to introduce concepts like the Multiverse.

To be fair though nothing can seemingly put me off more than hacky time travel that has dramatic consequences for everything that just get ignored because the writers think they were so fucking clever, the prime example being Star Trek 2009.

"But the time travel theory in Endgame was based on ACTUAL SCIENCE!"

:stahp
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #40460 on: May 11, 2022, 02:42:38 AM »
Jon Watts (Spider-Mans) leaving Fantastic Four MCU.

Say what you will about Watts, but at least with him directing we would've gotten the first decent F4 movie and a decent or better Dr. Doom. Now who knows. Will be interesting who they get. People are shouting Sam Raimi should jump straight from Dr. Strange 2 -> F4, but who knows if he'd be interested.

I'd say Benson & Moorhead since MCU likes them now but they're shooting Loki S2 and I also don't think MCU plays into their strength which is their writing and so far they are not allowed in the MCU writer's room.
MAKE IT HAPPEN:
https://twitter.com/toadschmoad/status/1523739945965219842

Bebpo

« Reply #40461 on: May 11, 2022, 02:52:26 AM »
Drive My Car was....not for me. I liked the cinematography but this took me like 3 nights to get through and has to be the most boring movie I've seen in a long time. It's a fine drama about grief, just like it's so, freaking, slow.

Burning was also a 3 hour adaptation of a Murakami short story that was slow paced, but I enjoyed that far more for the story, which was engaging. The story for this one just didn't click with me much.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #40462 on: May 11, 2022, 03:19:21 AM »
If anyone's looking for a good comedy check out Sightseers. It's about a couple who have just started dating going away on a weekend trip. Gradually the woman begins to realise her new boyfriend might be a serial killer.

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40464 on: May 11, 2022, 03:33:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/eddyburback/status/1524109061901357057

Some people really are living films raw for the smallest things which generally irritates me on the moment but bless them.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40466 on: May 11, 2022, 02:23:49 PM »
The Lost City was actually pretty funny and entertaining. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40467 on: May 11, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »
https://screencrush.com/flops-that-are-hits-on-netflix/

Pretty wild to see the disconnect between what the Netflix audience watches and what they produce.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40468 on: May 11, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »
Bird Box and Bright being the most popular movies on Netflix at the time of their respective releases tells me all I need to know about their general audience tbh.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40469 on: May 11, 2022, 05:07:23 PM »
U.S. Marshals is good.  Also, there are a lot of movies that I will watch just not if I have to pay more than 1$.   The idea that a flop financially means people won't like it is a flawed way of thinking.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40470 on: May 11, 2022, 05:07:57 PM »
Bird Box and Bright being the most popular movies on Netflix at the time of their respective releases tells me all I need to know about their general audience tbh.
Yeah lots of she/hers use Netflix.

U.S. Marshals is good.  Also, there are a lot of movies that I will watch just not if I have to pay more than 1$.   The idea that a flop financially means people won't like it is a flawed way of thinking.
I think it has a lot to do with this as well. Some movies I never watched because I didn't think a visit to the cinema or 4K Blu Ray was worth it.
There are also some movies that are just looked over because they get caught up in the hype of another movie.

Sometimes me and the bois pick a movie on the basis of: "if it sucks, we'll just try something else" and then it's like pretty decent actually and we keep watching anyway.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #40471 on: May 11, 2022, 06:03:55 PM »
People underestimate easy watches you only need to give 5 to 15% attention to while folding laundry or dicking around on your phone. It’s what TNT/TBS/FX used to be about.

Bebpo

« Reply #40472 on: May 11, 2022, 10:38:04 PM »
Uncharted - I wanted to hate it because the casting is terrible, but...I kind of just barely liked it? I have really low expectations for videogame movies and it was decent enough. Bad direction & action, script that rushes from scene to scene, absolutely terrible soundtrack with a lot of quiet when it should be big adventure themes booming like Pirates or you know the UNCHARTED games,

but Tom Holland, despite being a terrible fit for the role, actually felt like he put the effort in, it had plenty of quips and yeah the final action sequence was creative.

Maybe for the sequel they'll actually let Naughty Dog have some involvement to up the quality like they're doing with Last of Us HBO. There's potential here for a good Uncharted flick with a better director, writer and composer.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40473 on: May 11, 2022, 10:53:56 PM »
Ya, I'm not one generally to get put off by not sticking to the source material but Uncharted are some of my favourite games, but that casting was a hard pill to swallow.  But it's a decently competent movie that gets the spirit of the games right.  And the acting isn't bad, it's just not Nathan Fillion (from 10 years ago) in the role.  I also liked that they went with Chloe instead of Elena for the main women role, so hopefully it leaves that open for the second one.     

Bebpo

« Reply #40474 on: May 12, 2022, 02:38:17 AM »
The Voyeurs extremely tame Verhoven wannabe b-flick with like three endings that get dumber and dumber.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40475 on: May 12, 2022, 03:04:54 AM »
I wannabe flicking my hips into one of Sydney Sweeney's three endings if you know what I mean

(sexual intercourse)
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #40476 on: May 12, 2022, 08:42:00 AM »
https://screencrush.com/flops-that-are-hits-on-netflix/

Pretty wild to see the disconnect between what the Netflix audience watches and what they produce.
People underestimate easy watches you only need to give 5 to 15% attention to while folding laundry or dicking around on your phone. It’s what TNT/TBS/FX used to be about.
U.S. Marshals (which I like, especially since it's a documentary about Wesley Snipes' tax protests) used to feel like it was on TNT weekly. Are people intentionally recreating this on Netflix for some reason?

benjipwns

« Reply #40477 on: May 12, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
WARNING SPOILERS:

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40478 on: May 12, 2022, 01:00:40 PM »
 :skinner
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40479 on: May 12, 2022, 05:41:34 PM »
Couldn't I just ride away from the dinosaurs on my escooter?

Tasty

« Reply #40480 on: May 12, 2022, 10:20:25 PM »
Dunno if anyone cares but I thought the Doc Ock deaging looked kinda unfinished(?) in theaters but I think Sony cleaned up a ton of CG for the digital release, cause I think he looks great in it.

(I mean they already swapped one shot out mid-theater run for... reasons?)

Ock looks actually deaged and actually in the scenes now (home release). Overall pretty pleased with the purchase.

Bebpo

« Reply #40481 on: May 12, 2022, 10:27:18 PM »
Oh shit, I had no idea X was Ti West.

Ti West was my favorite indie horror director for like 6 years with Triggerman, The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers.

Then I was so disappointed with The Sacrament that I bailed on him and then he made a just ok reviewing western with Ethan Hawke called In a Valley of Violence that I didn't even bother to watch. No idea X is his first film since.

Was gonna wait until it was on that $5 rental, but may spend the full $20 for it to see it sooner than later.

Also saw The Northman is on $20 rental now, but heard it's not really weird Eggers and is just a really badass God of War flick. So can probably hold out until it's $5 rental.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40482 on: May 12, 2022, 11:06:31 PM »
Dunno if anyone cares but I thought the Doc Ock deaging looked kinda unfinished(?) in theaters but I think Sony cleaned up a ton of CG for the digital release, cause I think he looks great in it.

Ock looks actually deaged and actually in the scenes now (home release). Overall pretty pleased with the purchase.

This is why MCU/disney/modern marvel gets laughed at everytime someone wants to call it cinema or art or whatever the fuck milk toast people want to dip into to pretend they are worthy of awards.

As an artist that sets a defining point to when something is done this is Disgusting.

edit:

:spitemoji

Tasty

« Reply #40483 on: May 13, 2022, 12:59:04 AM »
As an aspiring screenwriter/producer, yes, absolutely.

As an ardent Spider-Man 2 sentimentalist, holy shit so glad it got fixed.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40484 on: May 13, 2022, 05:38:07 AM »
As an aspiring screenwriter/producer, yes, absolutely.

No way me too

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40485 on: May 13, 2022, 08:54:04 AM »

This is why MCU/disney/modern marvel gets laughed at everytime someone wants to call it cinema or art or whatever the fuck milk toast people want to dip into to pretend they are worthy of awards.

As an artist that sets a defining point to when something is done this is Disgusting.

edit:

:spitemoji

Art is never finished  :ufup

A real artist would know that.

Real artists kill themselves before finishing

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40487 on: May 14, 2022, 12:09:35 AM »
Northman was good

ShutUp

« Reply #40488 on: May 14, 2022, 12:06:16 PM »
Yeah, Northman was really good. Still has plenty of signature amazing Eggers moments sprinkled in as well.

And my Anya Taylor-Joy crush just continues to grow  :noah

Tasty

« Reply #40489 on: May 14, 2022, 06:37:34 PM »
Los Angeles Times: "‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ crew on bringing the story to life"

In a full-circle moment, Raimi’s early aughts “Spider-Man” films have recently been grandfathered into the MCU with Jon Watt’s “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” which featured appearances from former live-action Spider-Men Maguire and Andrew Garfield alongside the MCU’s official web-slinger, Tom Holland. “I loved ‘No Way Home,’ ” said Raimi. “I thought it was a complete audience thrill ride. The crowd I was with were ooh-ing and ahh-ing, and it had a great heart to it. It was great seeing my old friends again.”

When asked whether he’d be open to returning to the character now that franchise producer Amy Pascal announced that Holland may star in another three films about the web-slinger, Raimi demurred. “I love Spider-Man,” he said. “And I love Tom Holland in the role. [But] if I made a Spider-Man movie, it would probably have to be with Tobey or he’d break my neck.”

Sony, just make Spider-Man 4. Just do it. Have it continue on from Peter returning to his Raimiverse after NWH and pick up from there. The groundwork ("It's complicated." "It was hard, but we made it work.") for Peter and MJ is already there. Everyone (Raimi, Maguire, Elfman, Dunst) is game to do it. Harry already died so the only problematic one isn't an issue. It would make over $1 billion at the theatrical box office.

DO IT.

Tasty

« Reply #40490 on: May 14, 2022, 10:32:49 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40491 on: May 14, 2022, 11:49:37 PM »
Morbius was so generic.  Like I think this was made in 2002 and they sat on it for two decades. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40492 on: May 15, 2022, 01:13:50 AM »
Just watched Blade Runner for the first time since I was 16 and in high school film and TV class.

I watched the non-US theatrical cut because that's what was available to stream.

So good. So, so good.
Spud

Coax

« Reply #40493 on: May 15, 2022, 01:42:41 AM »
Kind of surprised the version available on streaming wasn't the Final Cut.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40494 on: May 15, 2022, 02:10:23 AM »
So was i. I'm going to chalk it up to some regional licencing bullshit because the theatrical cut is on Prime Video and Stan, but the Final Cut is rent or buy only.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02:14:52 AM by Potato »
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40495 on: May 15, 2022, 03:48:10 PM »

:whoo
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #40496 on: May 16, 2022, 01:21:11 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40497 on: May 16, 2022, 04:27:26 PM »
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #40498 on: May 16, 2022, 05:10:46 PM »
Hopefully the full trailer will use "Don't Fear the Reaper."

:doge

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40499 on: May 16, 2022, 09:10:13 PM »
I've been pretty excited about Prey since I hear the premise but since the whole premise of the movie is a spoiler I didn't want to say anything. Their initial plan was to drop the movie without referencing the... y'know... so audiences could be surprised like in the good ol' days. I remember Quentin Tarentino talking about how The Matrix was pre-internet, and the trailers marketed it as a kung-fu movie, so the whole Machine/A.I. reveal was an actual reveal, and not something you knew going in to see the movie.