Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140814 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #20881 on: August 10, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
The Hunter : good dafoe flick, music is a bit too dramatic

Last Boy Scout: 4 stars because of ending scene where willis and wayan joke about 90's action movies and this whole self concious joke feels way ahead of its time

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20882 on: August 10, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
:bow The Last Boy Scout :bow2

Also the action scenes were lazy this time and not sure how I feel about the increased chinese propaganda in hollywood action movies.  I'm predicting an Independence Day sequel subtitled as "National Day of the People's Republic of China"

Zao shang hao. Zao shang hao. In less than an hour, aircraft from the People's Liberation Army Air Force here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of People's war. People, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty self-criticisms anymore. We will be united in our mass line. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 1st of October, and you will once again be fighting a war of national liberation. Not from imperialism, exploitation, or bourgeois ideology, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live--to exist--and should we win the day, the 1st of October will no longer be known as a holiday of the proletariat and the peasantry, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20883 on: August 10, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
The Last Boy Scout is great

« Reply #20884 on: August 10, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

I loved this. Probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie. So many awesome cameos  :lol
Besides the main two guys, I really liked Adrian Brody's character. Dude had me laughing every time he was on screen.

Rushmore and Tenanbaums are still my favorites, but Anderson is back on his game after the flop that was Darjeeling Limited.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #20885 on: August 10, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
Bait is a pretty decent C-grade shark movie. It's about people trapped inside a collapsed supermarket/parking deck after a tsunami, and there are a couple of Great Whites which washed in there with them. Decent effects.
sup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20886 on: August 10, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »
New batman movie; meh to ok-good. 

I'm about to rewatch Bad Boys for the first time in 5 years; so excited. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20887 on: August 10, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
Holyshit this is so 90's and hokey.  Also I didn't remember that Martin Lawrence sounds whiter than me. 

Quaker

« Reply #20888 on: August 11, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »
Saw Boyhood on Thursday night. Pretty impressive film considering how it was made. I've got a feeling a lot of it was improvised much like the Before Trilogy.
My favorite part was how you could pretty accurately chart the 12 years passing by from the music/movies/books/games/politics/fashion. A lot of times movies will just blur them together.

Some of it was a little too amateur hour presumably because he used non-actors(the drunk cabin scene) or navel-gazing but I respect the earnestness. Only thing that truly bugged me was pretty much everything about that tangent with the Mexican dude.

It also made me wish Ethan Hawke could get a McConaissance and have his career elevated from dogshit B-movies but that ship has probably sailed. I mean, he's cool enough to do the Linklater movies but no one aside from a few movie nerds gives a shit about them and he's left having to pay the bills with The Purge and Getaway and Daybreakers(I liked him in Sinister.)

"You don't want the bumpers, life doesn't give you bumpers."  :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #20889 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

I loved this. Probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie. So many awesome cameos  :lol
Besides the main two guys, I really liked Adrian Brody's character. Dude had me laughing every time he was on screen.

Rushmore and Tenanbaums are still my favorites, but Anderson is back on his game after the flop that was Darjeeling Limited.

Come on it wasn't bad.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20890 on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »
It also made me wish Ethan Hawke could get a McConaissance

« Reply #20891 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Come on it wasn't bad.

Budapest was awesome. Darjeeling suuuuuucked.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #20892 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
this weekend I watched Mean Creek the 2004 film and it was kind of brutal.

The film is about a group of teenagers and young adults who devise a plan to humiliate an overweight, troubled bully on a boating trip. When their plan goes too far, they have to deal with the unexpected consequences of their actions.

I thought it was going to be River's Edge for the GWB years or something, but it turned out to be quite good.  Worth a watch.

also caught The Assassin, a 1952 private detective movie set in a postwar Venice.  It's very clusterphobic and doesn't really use the setting that well, but it's a B picture so I should be shocked we got what we did.  It's not for everyone, but i think someone like Eel may get something out of it. 
Tonya

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20893 on: August 11, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
I love Venice and will never go there irl, so I will deffo check that out.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #20894 on: August 11, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Saw GotG, best Star Wars movie yet

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20895 on: August 11, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
Saw GotG, best Star Wars movie yet

That makes me more interested to see it than it being another comic book movie honestly.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20896 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
It's not even an apt comparison, as its more Fifth Element than Star Wars.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #20897 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
Well you're entitled to your opinion, felt like I was watching a Star Wars flick to me!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20899 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
Well you're entitled to your opinion, felt like I was watching a Star Wars flick to me!

But, like, a good one.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #20900 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Exactly!

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #20901 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »
Aside from Alamo Drafthouse being the best goddamn movie theater in the country I just watched a solid spree of First Blood, Lethal Weapon, Predator, and Die Hard. Motherfucking live pyrotechnics during badass scenes and awesome beer. :rock

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20902 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »
All the presidents men,
Agro,
Zero Dark 30,
Frost/Nixon

all very good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #20903 on: August 14, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20904 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »
Not as good as the Attack of the Clones trailer that used Braveheart footage with CG'd in lightsabers. You slipping, nerds.
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #20905 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
It's not even an apt comparison, as its more Fifth Element than Star Wars.

Yeah, I really don't get the comparison either. I mean outside of it being in space and a bunch of dudes saving the galaxy the movie is a pretty straight forward action flick based on a dumb comic book license. I mean I really enjoyed it but it's not a classic. By comparison Star Wars is built around fabricating a children's story after complex themes like the fall of the Roman republic and using The Hero With a Thousand Faces as a blueprint for character development, to name a few. Also half of Star Wars is complete shit. That's important too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20906 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
Oh, man. I got totally fished in?

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #20907 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
YEP

cool breeze

« Reply #20908 on: August 14, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
exclusive scene from star wars 7

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20909 on: August 14, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »
I HAS A SAD.
:fbm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20910 on: August 14, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20911 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:53 AM »
actually the star wars connection is pretty apt:

- rebellious protagonist with a mysterious magical father
- spunky princess with more power than she lets on
- well-traveled merc/smuggler with wit and charm
- tall dumb companion of the previous member with the most heart out of all the members
- two civilizations at an apparent temporary peace, but with obvious tension and pockets of people foolishly acting on the behalf of the whole of their race/civilizatiojn
- a collector or rare goods and products including dangerous people throughout the universe
- a seemingly all powerful villain who means jack shit compared to his master
- basically bullshit Force powers used as a deux ex machina

GOTG just happens to position itself moreso as a comedy than anything else.
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20912 on: August 17, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
I hadn't heard of this, looks good

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20913 on: August 18, 2014, 01:58:17 AM »
Watched X Men Days of Future Past. Good movie. I think I preferred the first more (First Class) but that's mainly because of my very specific tastes where the super hero stuff interests me a lot less than the origin story stuff and just seeing the characters interact. I didn't care for much of the future stuff but the past stuff was very good. Fassbender was terrific as Magneto. I don't think its 9 out of 10 like the movie reviews made it seem. More like 7/10 for me. But it was a good movie and I've enjoyed the last two X men movies far more than I enjoyed the first two x men movies.

Also watched Good Will Hunting for the first time since it came out. That movie holds up. Robin Williams is great in it. The music is very good which I had forgotten about completely.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #20914 on: August 18, 2014, 02:33:29 AM »
Saw GOTG and you guys were right, it was very fun. Def better then the last few Star Wars. Great mix of comedy and action.

Also saw Lone Ranger, which was better then I expected but 45 minutes too long.

Rewatched Hidalgo, which you cannot not like.

Tried watching Men at Work with Estevez and Sheen, but shit was horrible. Turned it off 30 min in.

The Frozen Ground with Nicolas Cage, started off good, but ended like most Cage movies post 2004, mediocre at best.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #20915 on: August 18, 2014, 02:36:20 AM »
You need to watch the rest of Men at Work it starts to pick up towards the end and is just crazy fun. I want to own it in HD but MGM hasn't put it out yet, same with Freejack another fine EmiliO movie.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #20916 on: August 18, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
Hmm I will, but I think I will have to do it alone.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20917 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »
I don't take Jeff Bridges' presence as a sign of quality after RIPD. I also am uninterested in the adaptations of Orson Scott Card.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20918 on: August 18, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »
It's not actually based on Orson Scott Card's Seventh Son [or The Witcher, somehow], but this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spook%27s_Apprentice
dog

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20919 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
Tried to watch The Wolverine on HBO the other day. I was interested in this one because the very first comic book I ever bought was the mini-series this movie was based on.

It was a snooze.

They never bother to really humanize Mariko (damsel in distress), so you never really buy that Logan needs to stay in Japan to protect her. The action scenes were all very rote Asian-influenced guns and swords stuff. All sanitized with no blood and no cool deaths. The bullet train scene was so CGI heavy that there was no drama at all. The same can be said for the final battle.

Maybe the previous Wolverine movies were so bad that people were fooled into thinking this was good? It's watchable, but in comparison to the source material, it should have been so much more.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20920 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
It's also unfortunately not based on an Iron Maiden album cover.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20921 on: August 18, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »

I'm the only one in the world I know who loves that god damn movie.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:58:03 AM by Stoney Mason »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #20922 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »

Maybe the previous Wolverine movies were so bad that people were fooled into thinking this was good?
it's probably this
Tonya

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20923 on: August 18, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
It's definitely not as good as the source material(my favorite Wolvie comic) or even close to adapting it right. But if you expect that from comic book movies you're doing it wrong.

It just works as an action movie with a superhero where the story isn't overblown "save the universe" type shit. And it was pretty fun at that.

Yea, I guess I can't expect them to condense a four comic book arc into a 2 hour movie and really capture it all. I just wish stylistically they would have done something different.

Perhaps if the movie was R-rated they could have done something different with it. But no way the money guys would allow for that.  Maybe it was kind of doomed to be what it was.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #20924 on: August 18, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »

I'm the only one in the world I know who loves that god damn movie.

Now you know me and my wife. Also my coworker at the office.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20925 on: August 18, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
all great movies sit on a shelf, fully complete for two years before getting released.

also, this movie cost us a sequel to Mongol (best Ghengis Khan flick eva).  So eff this noise.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #20926 on: August 18, 2014, 02:03:41 PM »
It's not actually based on Orson Scott Card's Seventh Son [or The Witcher, somehow], but this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spook%27s_Apprentice

American Title "The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch"

::)
Tonya

Kara

« Reply #20927 on: August 18, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
Tried to watch The Wolverine on HBO the other day. I was interested in this one because the very first comic book I ever bought was the mini-series this movie was based on.

It was a snooze.

They never bother to really humanize Mariko (damsel in distress), so you never really buy that Logan needs to stay in Japan to protect her. The action scenes were all very rote Asian-influenced guns and swords stuff. All sanitized with no blood and no cool deaths. The bullet train scene was so CGI heavy that there was no drama at all. The same can be said for the final battle.

Maybe the previous Wolverine movies were so bad that people were fooled into thinking this was good? It's watchable, but in comparison to the source material, it should have been so much more.

I thought of it as a 2 hour commercial for Days of Future Past.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20928 on: August 18, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20929 on: August 18, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
Watched Queen of Versailles, a documentary covering the David Siegel family's fall from prosperity. The documentary was originally planned to show the building of America's largest single-roof family dwelling by the owner of the world's largest timeshare company.

Then the 2008 financial crisis hits, and it is revealed that the Siegel family is living as far outside their means as the rest of America. There is some blame-casting; some areas Siegels fail to take responsibility for their own decisions, and others are legitimate complaints about the systemic abuse by banks.

I keenly felt the uneven hand of fate, where Siegel is just some chump who had one good idea, rode it out into a sizable fortune, and invests his time in making money rather than paying attention to his family -- though it's arguable that his 1950's Dad Syndrome /is/ his way of showing love to his family. Meanwhile, due to his lack of introspection and self-evaluation, he appears to commit on his family many of the same errors his father did.

The movie is named after the "Queen" however, his wife, and I was utterly surprised at how much sympathy I would end up feeling for her. She seems like a legitimately caring and loving person, with a lot of problems, but whose reliance on money is less of a problem than her need for external validation.

It was a surprising and intimate picture of a well-off family experiencing a crisis. There are many moments of universal wisdom espoused, with many of them offered up nearly unconsciously, and crafted into the larger narrative in a very engaging manner.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20930 on: August 18, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Maleficent
Pretty bland.  Not offensively bad but there's to really see here.

The Expendables 3
It was okay.  Very forgettable.  Too long.  Not enough Mel Gibson.  Rousey is a horrible, god awful actress.  She makes the others look amazing.

« Reply #20931 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at a theater that serves beer. Aww yeah.
野球

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20932 on: August 18, 2014, 10:12:36 PM »
Watched a movie called The Fault in Our Stars because I was kinda forced to as it was not something I would probably watch on my own.

It was fucking great. The basic plot storyline is no different than a lifetime channel movie but the acting and the emotion was so fucking good and sweet I loved it.

Willem Dafoe has a small role in the film and just kills it.

This is the movie that teen-age girls should love. Not shit like twilight.

Also probably an ideal date movie.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:16:51 PM by Stoney Mason »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20933 on: August 18, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »
Really?  I'm blown away.  I heard nothing but terrible things about it like it was teenage drivel, but you're actually making me think twice.

Skidmark

« Reply #20934 on: August 18, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »
Really?  I'm blown away.  I heard nothing but terrible things about it like it was teenage drivel, but you're actually making me think twice.

I don't want to hype the movie for you but it made me cry like a bitch.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20935 on: August 18, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

Opinions are always relative. One man's drivel is another person's pot of gold and vice versa of course.

So I can't really say if you would respond to it in the same way I did. I will say that it gave me good feels. It's no more drivel than I would say something like Good Will Hunting is. Both are sentimental maudlin stories at points. But if the performance is on point, it elevates what is basically a typical story far beyond where it should go. I think the girl (Shailene Woodley) gives as good a performance as I've seen recently. Like I said, it wasn't the movie I picked to watch and it probably wouldn't be a movie I would have picked on my own at all beforehand. But I was very glad I watched it. I definitely say give it a go with your significant other if it doesn't seem like something you would be in the mood to watch on your own.

It's absolutely a chick flick. Probably even a teen-age chick flick if you want to be accurate about it. But its better than that imo.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:44:23 PM by Stoney Mason »

G The Resurrected

« Reply #20936 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:52 PM »
I paid to see that movie in theaters and while it might have been predictable from the get go it was very touching and made me cry. Then the missus told me that the actress is crazy. She apparently suns her vagina to ward off cancer and she's been known to go out into the woods nude with Ellen Paige for days foraging off the land. She also doesn't shower. I still watched Divergent and enjoyed that crap so whatever.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20937 on: August 18, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
She apparently suns her vagina to ward off cancer and she's been known to go out into the woods nude with Ellen Paige for days foraging off the land.

:phil

Skidmark

« Reply #20938 on: August 18, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »
Everyone has a few chick flicks that hit home. I love When Harry Met Sally and Hitch.

Chick flick? wtf man!?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20939 on: August 18, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
I paid to see that movie in theaters and while it might have been predictable from the get go it was very touching and made me cry. Then the missus told me that the actress is crazy. She apparently suns her vagina to ward off cancer and she's been known to go out into the woods nude with Ellen Paige for days foraging off the land. She also doesn't shower. I still watched Divergent and enjoyed that crap so whatever.

Sold.
©@©™