Author Topic: Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 227485 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Re: Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #2640 on: October 12, 2009, 02:47:15 AM »
Stealth = one shot kills for most enemies late in the game with the right perks. and once you get the awesome level 20 perk you can one shot a group of 5-6 guys easily
itm

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2641 on: October 12, 2009, 02:55:08 AM »
meh, most of the time you're running into a group of multiple enemies.  I just like regular combat with my suped up Chinese Assault Rifle and Lincoln's repeater I guess.
yar

M3wThr33

« Reply #2642 on: October 12, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
for subways

ghouls far away + stealth headshots:
:bow OL PAINLESS :bow2

ghouls up close:
:bow TERRIBLE SHOTGUN :bow2

fuck this game was great.

Or just always wear the ghoul mask.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2643 on: October 12, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »
That one hockey mask is a lot better though (+25 AP).  I remember hoarding all the ammo I could on my second playthrough and when I got Protectron's Graze (a laser shotgun basically) I had 3,000 energy cells.  That gun would kill just about anything with one shot at close range.

Robo

« Reply #2644 on: October 12, 2009, 04:10:03 AM »
I never really bothered with a sneaky character.  I liked to resolve issues by either speech or shootin'.

Sneak makes the game easier early on when you're weak and actually worried about getting shot at, I think, but it's not useful at all late in the game.  It does gives you a lot of extra options for fun kills, though.  Like sneaking up and dumping landmines or grenades in people's inventory.  Or creeping up point-blank and blowing one of their legs off with the terrible shotgun.  Or stealthy melee kills.  After awhile, that's basically all it's good for.
obo

pilonv1

« Reply #2645 on: October 12, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »
That one hockey mask is a lot better though (+25 AP).  I remember hoarding all the ammo I could on my second playthrough and when I got Protectron's Graze (a laser shotgun basically) I had 3,000 energy cells.  That gun would kill just about anything with one shot at close range.

YES

LeDoux Hockey Mask + other AP stuff + AP perks = instant death for mutants
itm

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2646 on: October 12, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
Looks like the goty edition of Fallout 3 is coming out tomorrow instead of next week... I think I'm gonna switch my preorder for Brutal Legend at GS over to Borderlands and pick up Brutal Legend, Fallout 3 GOTY and Batman tomorrow at TRU.  :rock
yar

M3wThr33

« Reply #2647 on: October 12, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »

YES

LeDoux Hockey Mask + other AP stuff + AP perks = instant death for mutants

I just wish the "Refill AP if you kill them in VATS" worked with "Mysterious Stranger"

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2648 on: October 16, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »
So, it looks like I was right- the 2nd disc for the 360 GOTY edition of the game just has the expansions on it, and once you're done installing them you don't need it anymore.  I guess in theory I could have bought a cheap used copy of the original game, rented the GOTY edition and installed all of the expansions... but I'm having fun with the game again and Bethesda deserves more of my money for what, in my opinion is probably gonna end up being the Game of the Generation.
yar

Robo

« Reply #2649 on: October 16, 2009, 01:36:46 PM »
I need to play through this again as a good guy, but I lent out my copy a few weeks ago and surely won't see it for at least another 4 months. :'(
obo

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2650 on: October 16, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
I liked bludgeoning things with that propane-flame-torch thing.  That weapon is fukken awesome.

pilonv1

« Reply #2651 on: October 19, 2009, 08:26:58 AM »
Doing the Pitt now. It's fine but my 360 runs like it's dying through the areas with a lot of fire.

And fuck off with the Ingot collection bullshit. I got 60 or so of them without trying too hard but fuck that.
itm

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2652 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »
I've done Operation Anchorage so far of the expansions and it was alright, but not too awesome.  The Gauss Rifle kinda sucks but the Winterized T51b armor is freaking bad ass.  I've also had to fight a Super Mutant Overlord and a Feral Ghoul Reaver and those guys whipped my asses for a bit.

Still best game of the generation so far.
yar

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2653 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
I think I'll pick up the GOTY edition.  I beat the game running straight through, so I've got all the expansions and a bunch of sidequests to go.  Is there any specific order I should play the expansions?  Just curious when to hit up Broken Steel.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2654 on: October 19, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »
I think I'll pick up the GOTY edition.  I beat the game running straight through, so I've got all the expansions and a bunch of sidequests to go.  Is there any specific order I should play the expansions?  Just curious when to hit up Broken Steel.

You have the 360 version?  Just rent the goty version, install the 2nd disk and then you're done.  Or if you want to reward Bethesda for their awesomeness, you can spend some extra cash I suppose.

As for Broken Steel, the missions you get from that dlc are the only ones that you have to wait until you're done with the main story missions to do, as they all take place after the assault on Project Purity.  Everything else you can do whenever and I actually did Operation Anchorage at about level 8.  It was cool but the Winterized T51b armor kind of makes the game a lot less difficult.
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2655 on: October 19, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »
gauss rifle is cool for doing crit knockdowns on deathclaws and albino radscorpions from far away

albino radscorpions and those mutant hillbillies from point lookout will still fuck you up even with the t51b armor
sup

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2656 on: October 19, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »
I wasn't used to Super Mutant Overlords since I hadn't seen them (obviously) on my first playthrough, so I didn't even notice that the tri-beam laser rifle was slicing through my armor like swiss cheese.  I basically had to lay out a trail of mines for the guy to run over and then turn and blast him with a shotgun to the face for like three minutes, stopping frequently to use up half of my frickin' stimpacks.  Ugh!  I might start carrying my Gauss rifle around just so I can knock fuckers like that guy and Feral Ghoul Reavers on their ass.

Kosma- do you still have any of your old save files?  After installing all the goty stuff you can just load a save file from a previous game and go do all the stuff... at least I think so, anyway.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2657 on: October 19, 2009, 01:34:14 PM »
Someone loan me the GOTY discs :)
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2658 on: October 19, 2009, 02:20:04 PM »
Someone loan me the GOTY discs :)

^^^
sup

M3wThr33

« Reply #2659 on: October 19, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
I have a different request.

As it turns out, for some reason or another, the console in Fallout 3 can't be pulled up on many Vista/7 machines because Bethesda is full of shitty programmers. It's either because I have other languages installed on here AND/OR because I have an IR remote/blaster connected.

So I can't access the console in the game, even with hacks. If I disable the IR blaster, I have to go through my media center setup again when I re-enable it and spend hours configuring my Guide and I'm sure as fuck not doing that.

The reason I ask is because you can use the console to give yourself the achievements and once I finish the game I want to just give myself whatever I missed. So I'm going to need someone with Vista/7 and Fallout 3 to do it for me, maybe in a month or so. :) Please?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2660 on: October 19, 2009, 03:47:23 PM »
That is LAME
fat

M3wThr33

« Reply #2661 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
That is LAME
What's lame is having 3 different achievements every few levels, depending on if you are evil, neutral or good. That's fucking distinguished mentally-challenged. You either have saves right before each and radically change the karma before triggering a level or you play through it 3 times just for that. Either way, distinguished mentally-challenged.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #2662 on: October 19, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
Who cheats to get achievements? Is anyone really gonna notice that you bumped up your gamer score?

Also, I cannot wait to finish MAss Effect so I can play this!

M3wThr33

« Reply #2663 on: October 19, 2009, 04:56:17 PM »
Who cheats to get achievements? Is anyone really gonna notice that you bumped up your gamer score?

Also, I cannot wait to finish MAss Effect so I can play this!

It's mostly because it would be pretty effortless...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2664 on: October 20, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
That is LAME

Glitching for gamerscore is lame? Or Windows not working with FO3 is lame?

If the former, are you saying you've never exploited a glitch to get gamerscore?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2665 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Define glitch... I certainly havent pulled up a console and inputted commands for achievements.

Or played Avatar.
fat

pilonv1

« Reply #2666 on: October 20, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »
I played Avatar 8)
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2667 on: October 23, 2009, 07:01:39 AM »
I've waffled on Avatar myself. It's the motherload of all freebies, but when I see it in someone's Achievement list, I know there's only one reason why they played it. It feels cheap, but I don't blame them. OTOH Guitar Hero 3 was so insanely stingy with its 'cheevs that I eventually determined to never play it again, so on my last run I glitched a handful of Achievements, finally bringing me to 215 out of 1000. I also cheated "Day Tripper" because I was about to finish 26 hours after starting Beatles' Story mode.

The Fallout 3 "karma" ones are not only cheesy, but I think a bit harmful to the player's ability to experience the game as they like. I just want to play as  a good guy, but if I spend a few minutes prior to leveling up at 8 and 15 or whatever, just wandering around and killing folks because I want the Achievement without replaying the whole game, it lodges a sense of inconsistency in that world.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2668 on: January 09, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
I just acquired the "Incinerator" (Broken Steel weapon). Holy shit, best Heavy Weapon. It feels so powerful, throwing these fireballs at the enemy and having them explode like fireworks. Its like I'm jizzing fiery death.
:9

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2669 on: January 09, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Tesla Cannon is the best weapon, imo.

The worst DLC was the alien one.. holy shit is it frustrating.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2670 on: January 09, 2010, 07:32:05 PM »
gauss rifle for me, because it comically knocks deathclaws on their asses
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2671 on: January 09, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
Lincoln's Repeater  :american
dog

OptimoPeach

« Reply #2672 on: January 09, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Never have enough .44 ammo for the Lincoln's Repeater.

I've been using the A3-21 rifle from the Replicant quest in Rivet City but I'm sure that's garbage compared to some of the DLC stuff. I do like sneaking around with the Jingwei Shock Sword like a ninja lol
hi5

pilonv1

« Reply #2673 on: January 09, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »

I keep it around for that reason alone

I usually use

Gauss Rifle
Lincons Repeater
Ol Painless
The Terrible Shotgun

Keep some other stuff like Sniper rifles on me but mainly use those 4.

Never have enough .44 ammo for the Lincoln's Repeater.

Do you have The Pitt? If so there's something there that can help you.
itm

OptimoPeach

« Reply #2674 on: January 09, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
I do, haven't gotten around to doing that one yet. What is it? I don't care about spoilers or whatever
hi5

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2675 on: January 09, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
I do, haven't gotten around to doing that one yet. What is it? I don't care about spoilers or whatever

Ammo Press, you can convert steel junk and other ammo to other metal based ammo

I love doing that to the Mutant Overlords too but holy shit can they take a punch
:9

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2676 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
it's a little bit escape from new york mixed with raiders and some fucked-up nasty-looking mutant things

when you finish you get access to an ammo press, which you can use to convert ammo you don't use into ammo you need
sup

pilonv1

« Reply #2677 on: April 03, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
At my parents place for Easter, no PC so I can't play Just Cause 2 or TF2 :(

So I decide to find all the locations in Point Lookout for the achievement and a few final quests there (awesome), and do Mothership Zeta (fucking woeful). I've hit a big towards the end with a teleporter not working, and I can fix it by deleting the DLC and downloading it again.

Unfortunately I've found the DLC so vile and uninteresting I'm just shelving the game for good. Such a sad way for me to finish my 80+ hour journey, but this alien stuff is pathetic. If only I'd finished with Point Lookout :(
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2678 on: April 03, 2010, 08:43:27 AM »
Yeah, Mothership Zeta made me glad it was the last DLC, because I never wanted to see the game again after that
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2679 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Point Lookout :rock
dog