Author Topic: Far Cry 2 thread of jamming guns  (Read 20681 times)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: Far Cry 2 is like awesomely buggy
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »
Oh yeah, and right after praising me for my help, he actually sort of threatens me. "Don't come after me,  I'm strong!," he says, while standing alone in my safe house. Lucky for him that the game is stupid and won't let me kill people in the safe house.

duckman2000

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »
Real question: how do I get the diamond on top the train car? Is there a glider nearby, or is it really just a matter of balancing the rail and jumping onto the car roof?

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
dunno, i'm not digging for diamonds. that shit sucks. if i find one i find one, otherwise i just spend what i make on missions.
haw

cool breeze

« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2008, 07:08:42 PM »
I usually avoid the random diamonds because I'm usually looking at my map, but if the beeping does catch my eye I'll go out and check.  I also realized that you can do a badass slide by running then pressing duck.

duckman2000

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
Alright, so to add to the stupid feeling of the factions, the UFFL seems to have completely forgotten about the complete fuck up of my last mission for them. Is there more to the world than what's on this map? Like, is there a new area unlocked later on? If not, I think I might just consider this one finished and go play Crysis or something.

duckman2000

« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
Ooops, my buddy died. Not sure how in the hell I was supposed to rescue her though, what with there being kamikaze drivers around and all.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
There's another huge "region" that you get to after you finish the first third or so of the main missions. It's woawesome.
hex

duckman2000

« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »
It had better be, because the game is pretty clearly not going to survive on mission awesomeness. Christ, now I'm going back to train yard. I'm surprised they are even using it, seeing as how I blew the shit out of it 4 missions back. What kind of environments are in the new region?

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2008, 12:00:09 AM »
The new area is basically a lot like the old one-rivers, a big lake in the middle with some islands, a few cease fire towns, etc. If you're about to stab your eyes out with the current map I doubt that the new one is going to wow you.
hex

cool breeze

« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2008, 12:35:39 AM »
There's another huge "region" that you get to after you finish the first third or so of the main missions. It's woawesome.

Really? after you get to this new area, they don't force you to continue to travel through the existing one, do they?  Travel is already exhausting enough (I actually just closed out because I was in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle and at least 10 minutes of walking/sprinting to the next known vehicle location so then I can travel to my next mission)  And when can I start doing new weapon missions? I need a good assault rifle.

So far my two biggest complaints are the insane amount of travel, and the often times unnecessarily long animations.  From switching seats to taking out bullets to healing your teammate to unjamming a gun, all these things just take way longer than they should.  Other than those problem this game is really awesome so far.

Also, apparently the enemies aren't the only ones with poor AI since no less than 3 zebra have committed suicide by running sideways into my jeep.  And I kind of understand where y2kev is coming from now with the terrible voice actors.  I don't think it's so much the actors themselves but rather it seems that Ubisoft wanted to save money and decided to include no spaces in the script.

duckman2000

« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2008, 01:10:17 AM »
You know, taking the sniper approach really helps alleviate some of the A.I. issues, but some times it feels a lot like Delta Force. I loved Delta Force, and as far as I know there hasn't really been a good successor, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

Beyond lack of smarts, I'm starting to get irritated with the behavior of the enemies. They can be completely oblivious to my presence when I'm standing right next to them, but fire a single shot from the Dragunov, and they will know exactly where you are. Even if you happen to be shooting from thick patch of foliage a quarter mile away.

And I kind of understand where y2kev is coming from now with the terrible voice actors.  I don't think it's so much the actors themselves but rather it seems that Ubisoft wanted to save money and decided to include no spaces in the script.

The delivery really is of Deus Ex caliber.

duckman2000

« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2008, 01:56:41 AM »
God damn the kamikaze drivers!  >:(

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2008, 02:01:04 AM »
Everything is self-contained in the new area for me, so far. So no having to go back, which will make plenty of sense plotwise once you get to that point.
hex

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:07 AM »
As for the amount of travel, if they had been a little bit better about distributing quest givers-think WoW quest hubs-the game would have a bit nicer flow-go to one area, do all the quests, maybe have another quest that takes you to another area, etc. Some map-crossing but nothing too bad.

Though that's definitely something that's sort of a 'oh, that makes sense' post-mortem  kind of item. Still, I didn't think the travel was TOO much, mainly because the journey is really the destination most of the time.

as for voice acting, years and years of eastern euro PC games have made me immune to inadequate voiceovers. anything short of "SUFFER LIKE G DID?" does not faze me.

hex

y2kev

« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »
In Frag 'n' Tabasco 'n' Drinky's Nubian Fantasy I Trust~

I have such a hardon for this game now. I think it's the best shooter I've played this year. Over 50%. It has some problems, but if you use the buses, you rarely ever drive more than a few min. Oh and LOLZ at the AI. I mean it's bad but who cares...I love shooting the AK-47. Such kick.

+650 points cause i'm playing on ps3 and I looooove ps3 and want to make out with it

This is a shooter for people tired of that overscripted call of duty bullshit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:34:14 PM by y2kev »
haw

cool breeze

« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »
oh man, I found the perfect gun for me, only problem is that it was randomly in my safehouse and it's rusty as all hell.  Once I unlock this gun my load out would be perfect.  Burst fire AR with scope, mac 10, RPG :drool

y2kev

« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
Oh, and about the military checkpoints-- maybe I don't see them cause I don't drive very much, but I usually just drive right through them. People exaggerate like they are every ten seconds and you can't shake them by shooting your gun mount for 10 secs.

WHINERS

NATION OF WHINERS
haw

y2kev

« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
oh and i never do buddy subversion missions

i don't know why you would. it makes the missions like nine times longer and more boring.
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »
In Frag 'n' Tabasco 'n' Drinky's Nubian Fantasy I Trust~

I have such a hardon for this game now. I think it's the best shooter I've played this year. Over 50%. It has some problems, but if you use the buses, you rarely ever drive more than a few min. Oh and LOLZ at the AI. I mean it's bad but who cares...I love shooting the AK-47. Such kick.

+650 points cause i'm playing on ps3 and I looooove ps3 and want to make out with it

This is a shooter for people tired of that overscripted call of duty bullshit.

It's just a shame the actual skirmish action is such incredible crap. A.I. so bad (yet so accurate) that it could make Deus Ex blush, hit detection so dodgy that it could cause spontaneous high-fives amongst the Black team, and suicidal/oddball behavior of motorists. Any one of those things taken alone might be alright, but this is some concoction of FPS blunders.

Yet at the same time, I'm enjoying the game. But I'm becoming more and more certain that my love for this game is squarely a matter of me longing for another game of the Delta Force type.

Oh, and about the military checkpoints-- maybe I don't see them cause I don't drive very much, but I usually just drive right through them. People exaggerate like they are every ten seconds and you can't shake them by shooting your gun mount for 10 secs.

WHINERS

NATION OF WHINERS

It's the combination of tight checkpoints, oddball behavior at guards stationed there, dodgy A.I. and kamikaze motorists. Actually, add vehicle shittiness to that blend. I tend to cut through the grasslands, that has helped a bit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:37:15 PM by duckman2000 »

duckman2000

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
I'll say, though, that from enjoying this game, I guess I get why people were alright with Assassin's Creed, in spite of its shortcomings. I still think the developer (or publisher, really) should be taken out back and slapped with hobo shoes until they promise to add a good few passes of QA and a critical look at some "cool features" that aren't so cool in practice before releasing their games, but I can totally see why bugs and rough edges can be forgiven due to some greater, larger picture or some such.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
Yeah, it's not like the game is perfect, and it's not like there aren't some things that sometimes stick out like a sore thumb-it's that the game is very entertaining and novel in spite of those things, so I don't judge the game on just those negatives but instead the overall experience, which is fantastic.

Watching internet denizens on message boards rip apart great, well-crafted games because of one or two design choices they didn't like or one area of the game that could have been improved on (despite the other parts of the game being exceptional) has soured me to talking about games on the boards a lot over the last couple of years. There always seems to be a false dichotomy thing going where the game either "sucks" or "best game ever", with no shades of gray in between.

Anyway apologies for the meta, just wanted to let it be known that a great games with one or two weaknesses doesn't make a shit game.
hex

duckman2000

« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
As long as the developer/publisher is made aware of the issue, and hopefully strives to improve, then a game with issues isn't a big deal. What always bothers me with Ubi games, and this one is absolutely a culprit too, is that they never seem to improve on certain things, and instead put everything into breaking new ground. It's not that I really want to fault someone for being ambitious, but when it seemingly comes at the detriment of execution, it's less forgivable. There would be nice if there was a balance, and I guess the incredible success of AC pissed me off for the simple reason that it's hard to imagine that such success will do much to make them shift gears and focus on getting all those things right.

cool breeze

« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
For me, the reason why I criticize more than praise (despite really enjoying this game) is because it's just easier to articulate what the problems are and what would have me enjoying the game even more.

I think I'm at a point where things change since all the other missions (outside of the assassin ones) are gone.  I think it's actually a really good idea with how they tease you with the good weapons (when you meet your buddy at the safe house) that are fairly rusty.  The fully auto shotgun I got was just a monster at killing enemies, but it broke soon after usage.  It makes me want to play more and unlock them legit.

duckman2000

« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »
I just want the Uzi. Sure, I have a MAC10, but damn it, I want that Uzi.

For all my shitting on the combat in this game, props to Ubi for putting the MAC10 in the pistol class.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »
i realized this was going to take a great deal of time to finish, like a fallout 3 amount of time, so i set it aside until christmas holiday

i can probably burn through resistance 2 and another game before then
sup

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2008, 07:10:16 PM »
There's a weapon in this game that is pretty amazing. The Grenade launcher, the one latter in the game. That weapon is just  :gun

duckman2000

« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
The semi-auto one? I got to try that out early on, wasn't too impressed.

y2kev

« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »
but resistance 2 is bad and far cry 2 is not

the mortar in FC2 is amazing

*pop* meeeeeeeeeeeouuuuuw BOOM
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »
but resistance 2 is bad and far cry 2 is not

Oh come on, Resistance 2 isn't bad. It's just this, er, other FPS. Nothing spectacular, unless you count the spectacular adherence to by-the-numbers FPS design. But it's not bad, dude.

And Eel O'Brien, whatever the hell you do, do not play Crysis right before diving into Far Cry 2.

edit: And don't read too many books regarding mercenary actions and civil war in Africa, either.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:15:57 PM by duckman2000 »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
 :-[  i like resistance 2

it's like a set of amusement park rides (only you get killed out of nowhere at every ticket booth  :P)

i want to try out all teh multiplayer stuff
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2008, 07:15:43 PM »
i'm saving crisis for when i get a new rig next year, i know i wouldn't get the wow factor on my current set-up
sup

y2kev

« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2008, 07:28:09 PM »
yeah, you're right, it's not bad. :D
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
Has anyone checked out the multiplayer yet? I'm thinking about trying it out, who's with me?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
do you mean far cry 2 or resistance 2

i'll give either a go later this week or the weekend
sup

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
The semi-auto one? I got to try that out early on, wasn't too impressed.

Yeah i think so.

At first i didn't care for it either. But later in the game, when there were more enemies to kill, cars to blow up, man...the weapon becomes a godsend.

Cleaning up an enemy checkpoint becomes gratifying even. It's like "PU, BOOMM", man i was in love with the weapon by the time it was all over.

duckman2000

« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:49 PM »
do you mean far cry 2 or resistance 2

i'll give either a go later this week or the weekend

Far Cry 2. Someone compared it to COD4, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Maybe I can recreate some level from Delta Force.  :hyper

y2kev

« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »
could we have an R2 coop bout? just eb? i'd like that a lot if anyone wants to. i'm free late tonight or tomorrow (classes end today fuckyeah!)
haw

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
i downloaded an omaha beach level (i think every fps game has a custom omaha beach map) that seemed really well designed, moreso than a lot of actual WWII games i have played

i haven't played it yet, though

seems like it might have a smallish cult following, at least on 360 - a couple of my 360 friends are always playing it

kev - yeah, i really want to check out R2 co-op

i can't tonight, as i have to go to bed here in a minute (gotta get up at 4 am :( ), but i am certainly down for it this week or the weekend

feels like a waste to own all these great fall mp games and not be playing them
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
I'll still be down for some bore R2 co-op.  Not tonight, maybe tomorrow, probably not later in this week because I'd be studying for finals

and wow, constant craziness as soon as you get to the second map.  Far Cry 2 is awesome.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
kev just wants to get trophies. we are now having a gears 2 horde session instead.
fat

y2kev

« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
kev just wants to get trophies. we are now having a gears 2 horde session instead.
down for that as well
haw

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
no i'm just kidding, i still have to get all the treasures and shit for THE QUEEN and send that off first.
fat

duckman2000

« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »
and wow, constant craziness as soon as you get to the second map.  Far Cry 2 is awesome.

When do I get there? I just destroyed some generator in the scrapyard.

cool breeze

« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »
soon-ish

it's pretty obvious with the events leading up to it

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
I'm going to be playing Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia come Christmas holidays.

I'm actually most excited to play Far Cry 2.

y2kev

« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2008, 10:01:27 PM »
oh man, it really is buggy :\

i got stuck on a rock underwater and died
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »

If that's the worst you've encountered, consider yourself lucky. This is easily the buggiest game I've played this "generation." Although I'm starting to think the PC version is worse off than the console versions. Fucked up cost for better image quality and performance, if that's the case.

cool breeze

« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
The only big bug I encountered was my a mission not ending until I killed my buddy (it was supposed to end when enemies died).  Had to reload an old save for that one.

duckman2000

« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »
How about safe houses? Half the time (exaggerating for effect here) some dude will be missing from the enemy gallery, so the safe house won't unlock.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »

If that's the worst you've encountered, consider yourself lucky. This is easily the buggiest game I've played this "generation." Although I'm starting to think the PC version is worse off than the console versions. Fucked up cost for better image quality and performance, if that's the case.

Sounds like Ubisoft is the same as they always been.

Maybe one day

y2kev

« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
How about safe houses? Half the time (exaggerating for effect here) some dude will be missing from the enemy gallery, so the safe house won't unlock.
That's happened to me too :(
haw

cool breeze

« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »
I did all the gun store missions an am a bit let down that the grenade launcher is in the mid class and not the special weapons.  Still, my lineup is pretty great with an uzi, burst fire scoped AR, and dart rifle.  No need for rockets or things to make other things go boom since I have grenades.  Only time it would be needed is for a moving target and they warm me in advance.

this just happened to me

duckman2000

« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2008, 12:04:55 AM »
Man, has anyone read the wiki article on Far Cry 2? If that's not written by some Ubi dude, I'll eat my hat.

y2kev

« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »
YES! I have  :lol

it's so ubi

Also I'm 75% done now.
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
So you guys aren't doing any side missions, then? I think doing those nearly killed the game for me. Weirdest sandbox game ever.

cool breeze

« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2008, 12:12:05 AM »
no buddy missions, no assassin missions.  I do the gunstore missions to unlock new guns and then the main missions.

Am I required to do those underground pill missions?

y2kev

« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2008, 12:14:33 AM »
you won't get malaria medicine if you don't. i'm out now and i'm gonna see what happens if i ignore the sickness.
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »
Funny how my first limited amount of pills lasted me for hours and hours, yet now I have to refill between every other mission. Stupid piece of crap awesome game.

cool breeze

« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »
yeah, I did three underground missions and since the first one I had maybe 3 attacks total, so I'm wondering if I have a big enough stash now that I can ignore it.  I know it tells you when you're on your last pill, but it doesn't seem to give you an actual number.

duckman2000

« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:23 AM »
You know, "Be Careful - They are looking for You" would have felt a hell of a lot more ominous hadn't every dude already spent the whole game trying to kill me. This faction stuff is so poorly executed.