Author Topic: Far Cry 2 thread of jamming guns  (Read 20673 times)

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
Re: Far Cry 2 thread of jamming guns
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
No, you sneak up, find your spot and start killing. 
How is that stealth though? Who doesn't play that way? Do you think people just run into the middle of some collection of huts and fire into the sky to let everyone know it's on?

Unless you've got a sniper rifle, the game's jamming weapons and such make it pretty much necessary that you position yourself before you fire. That doesn't seem like anything special to me.

The game sells itself as having stealth elements without me having to pick at them, by the way-- the Camo Suit is NOT worth the diamonds.
haw

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »
I see people mentioning jamming weapons now and then - I've only had one jam in 20 hours.  Do you guys pick up a lot of weapons off the ground?  If so, you deserve them jamming on you, you cheap-ass scavengers.

I'm going to check out the camo suit tonight.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »
It's been a while since I've had this happen to me in a game.

duckman2000

« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »
Maybe I just don't spend enough time exploring in games. I managed to reach a place that I'm pretty sure was supposed to be out of reach, so I'm not surprised that it glitched. Bloody annoying though as I hadn't saved the game in a while.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »
I've been playing Fallout 3 so much that last night I paused Farcry 2 and was looking for the save menu for several seconds. ::)

duckman2000

« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
I've been playing Fallout 3 so much that last night I paused Farcry 2 and was looking for the save menu for several seconds. ::)

Huh? Oh wait, the save system is different for the console versions, right?

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »
I'm not sure?

I just meant I got used to Fallout's save-anywhere system and forgot Farcry was not save anywhere.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:31 PM »
I'm not sure?

I just meant I got used to Fallout's save-anywhere system and forgot Farcry was not save anywhere.

i hate quicksaves in theory because they ruin the tension but far crys system annoys me and makes me wish for fallout's save system. for an open world game not to have quick save is shit
itm

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
that would be better. an alternative to safe houses. why would i go exploring when i cant save?
itm

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »
If I'm in the mood for Farcry 2 (taking my sweet time traversing the countryside), the rather long-winded saving system doesn't bother me.  If I'm not in the mood for the game, I'm not in the mood for the save system either.

Save points at guard posts or something would maybe be a good compromise.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
There should be manual save points at the objectives.  So once you've killed everyone you can save and then play with the leftover explosive barrels or try a difficult jump to a diamond case, without fear of killing yourself and having to do it all over again.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
I started playing this today.

my reaction so far is just:

:\

not really very fun.
nat

duckman2000

« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »
Alright, this Dogon village mission I just completed was shit hot.  :hyper

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »
bought this game with the steam deal, shit is hot. Graphically it is the closest to Crysis I've seen, and it runs better on my system. Shit is hot.

upgradable weapons :drool
unlockable perks :drool
recruitable friends :drool
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2009, 11:09:11 PM »
Graphically it is the closest to Crysis I've seen, and it runs better on my system. Shit is hot.

What kind of settings are you using?

I tried playing it with everything on Ultra maxed and it's like 5fps, whereas I got about 20fps on Crysis maxed.  Even with everything on very high it's not as smooth as Crysis.  I had to keep stuff around high/medium to get it Crysis level of playable.  Maybe it's just more cpu-intensive or something since my cpu sucks.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »
Why's the DLC content only compatible with the Steam version?  So now I have to spend $20 instead of just $5 for the extrat content? 

Fuck that. 

Graphically it is the closest to Crysis I've seen, and it runs better on my system. Shit is hot.

I tried playing it with everything on Ultra maxed and it's like 5fps, whereas I got about 20fps on Crysis maxed.  Even with everything on very high it's not as smooth as Crysis.  I had to keep stuff around high/medium to get it Crysis level of playable.  Maybe it's just more cpu-intensive or something since my cpu sucks.

Far Cry 2 is very CPU intensive.  I jumped about 50 FPS going from a 3.3 GHZ Q6600 to a 4.0 GHZ I7. 

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #256 on: March 27, 2009, 08:13:41 AM »

I am playing on high with 2xAA and vsync on a 9800gt and I am getting close to 60fps. I tried it at very high and 4xAA and I was still getting 30fps. I dont remember what CPU I have, but I think its a 2.6ghz dual core
jon

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #257 on: March 27, 2009, 11:20:54 AM »
Did ubi ever release a ps3/360 patch for this addressing some of the complaints?
hey

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS

What's this time management bullshit? I cant even buy some fucking pills because I can't guess the right time the dealer will be there.

Crysis > Far Cry 2
fat

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS

What's this time management bullshit? I cant even buy some fucking pills because I can't guess the right time the dealer will be there.

Crysis > Far Cry 2

you have to put time into it you fucking tasteless fuck

it's one of the best games of 2008.  i knew you wouldn't like it
hey

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: May 03, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
It's not my fault the illegal arms dealer doesnt want to open up shop at 9am. Some realism this game has
fat

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
This game is kinda shitty. The boring driving, the re spawning, the hit detection, the story, guns get old in an afternoon, repetitive as shit.

I finished it, but it felt like work.

rubber feathers

« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
Far Cry 2 sucks because you have to drive to every fricking place, and the bus stops aren't in convenient locations.  You're never near one, and the places you need to go to aren't near one.  And I don't feel like driving 10 minutes every time I want to do something.  If I want an experience I'd go outside or play flower or some shit.

When a game feels boring from the first minute and it hardly ever gets exciting, you know there's something wrong with it.

Bebpo

« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
Is there a mod that lets you warp around?  Sounds like it would fix the driving.

duckman2000

« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »
I don't think the driving itself is all that bad, and as long as you stay away from roads and checkpoints you won't be attacked every two minutes. But given the size of the world, it sure would have been sweet with some rickety airplane.

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #265 on: May 04, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
Gamefly sent this to me today. Am I in trouble?
wha

Smooth Groove

« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS

Crysis > Far Cry 2

You can't buy pills whenever you want.  The game will let you know when you need to go back to the priest for more pills. 

Is there a mod that lets you warp around?  Sounds like it would fix the driving.

There're trainers that let you teleport back to the where you were before.  It makes completing quests a little faster. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »
Gamefly sent this to me today. Am I in trouble?

Nah, FC2 is great fun despite its flaws.   No shooter has ever offered so much freedom to the player.

You just have to be a little patient with it.  The game really opens up once you start buying the type of guns you want. 

duckman2000

« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »
THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS

Crysis > Far Cry 2

You can't buy pills whenever you want.  The game will let you know when you need to go back to the priest for more pills. 

And then sometimes it will tell you that you have get more pills, but fail to actually update your map with directions, and/or fail to activate the pick-up place. Buggy bug bug. It's still more brilliant than it is terrible, but it sure leans dangerously over the line from time to time.

drew

• sy
« Reply #269 on: May 04, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
i almost rented this

im glad i didnt

it looks like a cheaper fo3

key word:  LOOKS

Smooth Groove

« Reply #270 on: May 04, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
And then sometimes it will tell you that you have get more pills, but fail to actually update your map with directions, and/or fail to activate the pick-up place. Buggy bug bug. It's still more brilliant than it is terrible, but it sure leans dangerously over the line from time to time.

Weird.  That never happened once to me.  Did you patch your game?

duckman2000

« Reply #271 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »

Weird.  That never happened once to me.  Did you patch your game?

It's the Steam version so I assumed it would patch itself as needed. It only happened once (one of each bug). The most common bug has involved the Imaginary Safehouse Guard, where the safe house won't unlock because some enemy character is missing. That's happened at least three times.

duckman2000

« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »
Another session, another blend of awesome opportunistic FPS gaming and equally awesome bugs. Today, I rammed a dude with a car. This apparently causes quite the shockwave, as another dude on the other side of the guard post area falls down from the impact. What a game.  :gun

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
I just got the "Good night sweet prince" achievement because my main buddy just died no matter how many morphines I gave to him.  Can I still get buddy recommendations on missions if I just go to Mike's bar or something?

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »
Your new best buddy will fill the shoes of your old best buddy, if that's what you're asking.

I remember when I got that achievement. :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
Is it pretty much a "your buddy dies here, no matter what" story moment?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »
Yeah, they get killed the second or third time that you have to save them.  In the future, I'll put them down with a gun.  It's more respectable.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
I really love this game, but sometimes it can be brutally unforgiving. I've been mowed down numerous times just trying to get through a random outpost.  :'(

I just lost an HOUR of playtime, including several missions complete, all because this idiotic game doesn't have an autosave feature that kicks in whenever you complete a mission. Seriously, WHY doesn't this game have that?! How did I lose that hour? Some random guys roll up in their jeep and I think "Alright, some guys to test out my new weapons on" so I jump out of dune buggy and take out the gunner with my machine gun. Then the jeep bumps me. None of my buddies come to help me. One hour of game time completely erased.  :gloomy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:39:05 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

duckman2000

« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
Got this on 360 (can't beat $5), it's not as bad as expected. The lack of save anywhere is annoying, but I'm over it. I really hope they use this engine for the next Ghost Recon, assuming of course that it's a return to the classic style. Hell, I'd pay good money for a plain GR remake using this engine.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #279 on: November 25, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »
It's a flawed but interesting game. Multiplayer is dog shit though.

cool breeze

« Reply #280 on: November 25, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »
actually, there was just news the other day about Far Cry 3.  I don't know if it's the first announcement, but it's just someone confirming it and saying it looks "pretty exciting"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=228138?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

so yeah, if they fix the problems like AC2 fixed the problems of AC1, GOTY whenever it comes out

duckman2000

« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
Pretty much. Ubi is really ambitious, with damned near all their "big" games, but they need to reign that in. If AC2 is as good as you say it is, then that's a good sign.

Would still rather have a mesh of Far Cry 2 openness and GR combat. Any one of the grassy valleys in this game would make for the best GR map ever.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:22:45 PM by duckman2000 »

cool breeze

« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
I thought Far Cry 2 combat was just short of incredible.  The only flaw, and it's a pretty damn big one, is that the enemy AI was distinguished mentally-challenged.  Whether you go in stealthy, stick back and snipe, try to set up traps, or just go in and shoot up the place they don't react like they should.  It is difficult to get AI to work well in an open world, but that should be something they focus on.

I also wonder if they will keep it in Africa.  One of the big reasons I like AC2 more than AC1 is that Italy is way better for gameplay and just the look than what AC1 had.  Africa was a fine location and I wouldn't mind if they kept it.  What I really want is either the ability to climb or less linear paths in the world.  A lot of times there are two paths with a huge hill between them.  Stuff like that made the world seem more tedious to get around since you didn't have as many shortcuts.

duckman2000

« Reply #283 on: November 25, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »
That, and enemies absorbed way too much damage. The animation was also goofy at hell at times, which combined with the goofy behavior and incredible damage tolerance to make for some kind of heavily armed distinguished mentally-challenged fellow army. Fix that, mix missions up (and remove the kamikaze jeeps), and the game will be nearly fixed right there.

I don't think keeping it in Africa would be bad, but more of Africa in a single environment would be nice. Even with jungle, marshland and savanna, the environments felt pretty uninteresting after a while. Snowy mountain ridges, deep wet jungle, that sort of stuff would have been nice. Keep the world open, but make the destinations more interesting, and varied.

cool breeze

« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »
I don't know if it some areas of Russia are too cliche at this point, but yeah, Russia or some Eastern European location would be great.  Some areas with snow would be great considering how good they make the atmosphere in FC2.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
so yeah, if they fix the problems like AC2 fixed the problems of AC1, GOTY whenever it comes out

Fuck yeah.  I enjoyed Far Cry 2 but it definitely has flaws that if rectified could make the game AAA. 

I still haven't even got off the North map.  THe major flaw for me is that it requires bulk time to play - if I'm in the mood for traversing the map and the resulting adventures then it's awesome.  If I'm not in the mood I don't even pick it up.

duckman2000

« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
Siberia would be nice. I mean, Siberia can be damned near anything short of jungle. Blizzards, moonlit mountain passes, stalking through taiga, and so forth.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
The Yukon is like Siberia but it has more trees I think.  They kind of cut the whole taking cover in foliage thing in FC2 for whatever reason.

duckman2000

« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
The Yukon is like Siberia but it has more trees I think.

Siberia has just about everything; tundra, desert and rocky terrain, arctic mountain ranges, deep taiga, and so forth. It'd be hard to pass a 50 square kilometers off as Siberia, but it's a good place to look for inspiration.

duckman2000

« Reply #289 on: November 26, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
So I guess the bug with safe houses not being unlocked because one or two NPCs are missing wasn't a PC exclusive bug after all. And in this version, safe houses are actually important.  >:(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #290 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
That, and enemies absorbed way too much damage. The animation was also goofy at hell at times, which combined with the goofy behavior and incredible damage tolerance to make for some kind of heavily armed distinguished mentally-challenged fellow army. Fix that, mix missions up (and remove the kamikaze jeeps), and the game will be nearly fixed right there.

I don't think keeping it in Africa would be bad, but more of Africa in a single environment would be nice. Even with jungle, marshland and savanna, the environments felt pretty uninteresting after a while. Snowy mountain ridges, deep wet jungle, that sort of stuff would have been nice. Keep the world open, but make the destinations more interesting, and varied.
Did you play it on a high difficulty level? Sometimes devs shortcut implementing difficulty settings by just augmenting hitpoints and/or lowering player's weapon damage.

duckman2000

« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
I don't know if that's what it is, but it looks ridiculous in the game. People typically go down from one good shot from a sniper rifle so at least that's good, but you can sometimes rip into a dude with a hail of bullets from a mounted gun, and he will still be standing. When you add the insta-rigor animation when enemies transition rigidly from trucks to death, or the delayed arms flailing death animations, the combat starts to look more goofy than it should.

None of this is beyond fixing, though, so I have high hopes for the sequel.