Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1830969 times)

siamesedreamer

Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »
I'm saying we will have some sort of national banking entity to prop up the private ones by april

Pfft...

I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen within a month. Heck, as bad as things continued to slide today, they may need to do it by the end of the month.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »
I really hope Obama holds these people accountable since the Bush administration turned a blind eye. A lot of people got rich off of wall st. and sub prime lending, but the only blame I've ever heard was brought on the poors "living beyond their means."
After seeing my mortgage statement for the year.
$8,000+ interest
~$600 on principal
I've lost a ton of faith in a financial system that sets people up to fail. It is legal thievery. :maf

And guess what's next! I'll probably have to borrow all that equity back in 10 years to put my oldest through college. Who knows if I'll be able to afford to put the other 2 through by then. :'(
©ZH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2009, 08:33:09 PM »
Putting them through college?  Make them pay their own way like I had to.

I don't expect any kind of accountability from the Bush era.  Punishing these people doesn't really do any good because the mentality and philosophy has poisoned the system, not individuals.  It isn't like these individuals were being particularly devious or crafty.  The public fell in love with privatization because they wanted to save a few bucks on their taxes not knowing or really caring what the long term consequences might be.

The best we might get is a show trial type situation where the company CEOs, Presidents, etc. have a hangdog expression while Congress berates them (while voting for these businesses' initiatives a couple years prior).  Then when push comes to shove, they'll do very little.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:37:37 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »
President Iraq Hussian Osama Bin Ladin.

The end is nigh!  :o
:-[

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »
Putting them through college?  Make them pay their own way like I had to.

I don't expect any kind of accountability from the Bush era.  Punishing these people doesn't really do any good because the mentality and philosophy has poisoned the system, not individuals.  It isn't like these individuals were being particularly devious or crafty.  The public fell in love with privatization because they wanted to save a few bucks on their taxes not knowing or really caring what the long term consequences might be.

The best we might get is a show trial type situation where the company CEOs, Presidents, etc. have a hangdog expression while Congress berates them (while voting for these businesses' initiatives a couple years prior).  Then when push comes to shove, they'll do very little.

Doesn't do any good?  Really?  I mean they blatantly broke the law repeatedly on the grounds that hey, it's the fucking president and he can do what he wants.  All the dumbfuck talking heads can say "Good job, he's helping America move past this," but there are plenty of little toads out there who will see the complete lack of accountability and use it to their advantage somewhere on down the line.  The Bush administration had no real regard for law or the will of the public, and tried as best they could to enact their agenda by any means necessary, but they at least tried to act like they cared about the law to avoid prosecution.  I couldn't even imagine how bad things could get if the people in charge decided it wasn't even worth doing that anymore.  Shame that the Dems probably won't pursue prosecutions we'll be paying for it later on.
pcp

patrickula

« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »
I went to the national mall both today and on Sunday during the concert thing... to watch a jumbotron out in the cold with a fuckton of people both times  :lol

But hey, I was there, and I'm local anyway (though the walk to the mall I took today isn't a short one).
I was lucky enough to see Obama's motorcade speed by Sunday, I think I saw his hand waving in there :omg

Anyway, I just feel relieved now, for the most part, that it's finally happened and Bush/Cheney are finally out.  Hopefully he does well... signs have been looking pretty good so far from my perspective.  It'll have to be a big improvement.

edit: We also saw Bush's helicopter flying out on our way home... kinda cool.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:14:14 PM by patrickula »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
so um is anything going to happen now?  this is boring. 

and don't tell me it's 11pm and the presidenty people are going to bed.  if i had just become president i would totally be up all night issuing executive orders and proclamations and shit.
QED

« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »

and don't tell me it's 11pm and the presidenty people are going to bed.  if i had just become president i would totally be up all night issuing executive orders and proclamations and shit.

They're attending all the Inaugural Balls in D.C. The girls are at the White House watching movies while Mom and Dad are partying until 3am.
野球

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
For those who remain really upset about Barack Obama’s election, here is a new argument contesting his legitimacy, courtesy of Fox News Channel. Noting that Chief Justice John Roberts flubbed his recitation of the oath of office during the swearing-in ceremony, Chris Wallace, the Fox News anchor, said: “I’m not sure that Barack Obama really is the President of the United States. Because the oath of office is set in the Constitution, and I wasn’t at all convinced that even after he tried to amend it that John Roberts ever got it out straight and that Barack Obama ever said the prescribed words. I suspect that everybody is going to forgive him and allow him to take over as president but I’m not sure he actually said what is in the Constitution.”

from the times

lmfao, I said this as a joke while watching it

« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »
For those who remain really upset about Barack Obama’s election, here is a new argument contesting his legitimacy, courtesy of Fox News Channel. Noting that Chief Justice John Roberts flubbed his recitation of the oath of office during the swearing-in ceremony, Chris Wallace, the Fox News anchor, said: “I’m not sure that Barack Obama really is the President of the United States. Because the oath of office is set in the Constitution, and I wasn’t at all convinced that even after he tried to amend it that John Roberts ever got it out straight and that Barack Obama ever said the prescribed words. I suspect that everybody is going to forgive him and allow him to take over as president but I’m not sure he actually said what is in the Constitution.”

from the times

http://larrysinclair-0926.blogspot.com/2009/01/obama-fails-to-take-oath-as-required-by.html
野球

« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
Anyone see this?

After Obama's speech this morning, on a small triangle of grass between the Lincoln Memorial and the Memorial Bridge, we discovered a giant inflatable statue of George W. Bush, posed like the famously-toppled statue of Saddam Hussein in Baghdad. The statue had a plaque that described Bush matter-of-factly, with no punch-line, allowing viewers to project their own feelings onto the work. It had guy lines loosely holding it up from various points. You can probably guess what happened next.

You didn't guess someone would face-hump it?

People also threw shoes, water bottles, and anything else they could find.

A father and son team brought the statue from Minnesota and set it up here without a permit. They told us they had asked authorities if they needed one, but police said they had no specific rules against inflatables, so it could stay. Some park police apparently even thanked them for it, thinking it a tribute to the outgoing president. They seemed as surprised as we were that it hadn't been removed. The statue was conceived by the 20-year-old son as an art project.

It made our day.
野球

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »

The President and Michelle are dancing right now on tv for like a few hours now. Or as the President called it "kicking it old school".

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2009, 11:45:50 PM »
as cnn pointed out, obama automatically became president at 12:00 p.m. because the swearing in is a formality and not required by the constitution
pcp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
:rofl   DM

That was awesome!
©ZH

patrickula

« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2009, 11:51:15 PM »
I saw that inflatable Bush statue in person on the way to memorial bridge, it was pretty awesome.  They kept pulling it down and people would take pictures.  I got a couple of shots.

drew

• sy
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2009, 03:06:49 AM »
weed legal yet?

hopefully never

you'll see why once you smoke too much of it

lordmaji

« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:56 AM »
weed legal yet?

hopefully never

hater. :(

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2009, 04:53:18 AM »
Weed never did anything for me, but it should, obviously, be legal.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2009, 05:11:40 AM »

from the times

I thought the same shit. And then I wondered if the justice administering had been the one to mess it up. I couldn't picture Obama, a known smooth talker, to have flubbed something. He looked surprised, then patiently waited for the guy to correct himself.

Anyway, I'd love to see some rightwing nutjob try to bring that to court. Hannity could deal with having that comment spread far and wide, revealing him for the petty, screeching, feeble excuse of a journalist he is. Man, who the hell is that guy's core audience? Other shrill nutjobs?

cloudwalking

• I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND
  • Forum Princess
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2009, 08:56:59 AM »
i saw this today while walking around:

(daily special: OBAMA MUFFINS)

i couldn't help it, i bought two.

yummmmmy

i'm so glad obama is president now if it results in glorious muffins like this being produced :hyper

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2009, 09:27:59 AM »
Once your shitty banks are all under, you'll be begging for Canadian beaver pelts.

Canadian beaver pelts :drool
^_^

Cheebs

« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »
Wow its really happening:

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
weed legal yet?

hopefully never

lol distinguished Apple fellow
UK

Rman

« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »

A fatherless child who put himself through Harvard is still a filthy poor in their eyes.
smh
He was still paying off student loans till 2007. Those type of republicans probably don't even know what a student loan is.

Wow, so he's a filthy poor too?
He's mostly been a public servant all his life.  That's not where the high salaries are.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
So, anyone hear about ex-president Bush and what he's up to today?

That has a nice ring to it: Ex-President Bush.

:D
HLR

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
120 day halt to all gitmo proceedings

Tonya

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »
That was FAST
UK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2009, 12:37:48 PM »
I knew as soon as I got into this thread, I would see more info about your tweet, cloud.

I am jealous  :'(
püp

cloudwalking

• I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND
  • Forum Princess
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »
I knew as soon as I got into this thread, I would see more info about your tweet, cloud.

what's your twitter username?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »

Oh shit, I forgot you weren't following me.  It's DeathbyVolcano.
püp

cloudwalking

• Forum Princess
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »

Oh shit, I forgot you weren't following me.  It's DeathbyVolcano.

didn't realize it was you! i'll add you :)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »
120 day halt to all gitmo proceedings

Wuuuuuu00t!

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
:teehee

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
Here's a bunch of epic pictures from yesterday:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/01/the_inauguration_of_president.html

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2009, 09:37:50 PM »
good lord that spoilered picture
Tonya

Brehvolution

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
That is awesome TA. Anyone hear any estimates? Is 2.3M anywhere close?
©ZH

Beezy

« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
Eww, it's an infestation.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
it's good to know that when our 1000 foot tall invaders come, they'll be disgusted by us running before they stomp us
püp

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
holy fuck
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
it's good to know that when our 1000 foot tall invaders come, they'll be disgusted by us running before they stomp us

Megatron: Ugh, fleshlings...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »

[close]

"From up here all the people look like ants!"

"They are ants."
dog

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »
little do they know that as we speak, obama is already struggling with his illuminati masters

they try to control him, but he will not falter. he will reveal to the public... the wu-tang secret. this will have major and immediate global political consequences, unprecedented in nature.
wtc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »

[close]

Hey that looks like the wastelands in fallout 3!   :o

I hate that I have to say I'm only joking  :'(
[close]

ToxicAdam

« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:30 PM »
The illuminati is toothless.  Oprah's "dark crusaders" and the gay mafia have finally taken over.

trh

« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:55 AM »

lordmaji

« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2009, 02:26:03 AM »

Crushed

« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
Obama-sama sighed as he drew his twin katana. The gaijin must pay for the second swearing-in.
wtc

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »
So since he was sworn in twice does Obama have like double president powers now?
QED

Crushed

« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »
So since he was sworn in twice does Obama have like double president powers now?
wtc

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »
 :o  That's even cooler! 
QED

Crushed

« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
Does this mean he gets to serve only 1 term?  :(
If any Republican actually tries to argue this, it will prove that they all have the minds of children.

It'll be nice to have a president that actually works for a change, though, considering that Bush spent 487 days at Camp David and 490 days at his ranch in Crawford.

aka, 2 and 2/3 years on vacation, or a third of his presidency
wtc

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
Does this mean he gets to serve only 1 term?  :(
If any Republican actually tries to argue this, it will prove that they all have the minds of children.

It'll be nice to have a president that actually works for a change, though, considering that Bush spent 487 days at Camp David and 490 days at his ranch in Crawford.

aka, 2 and 2/3 years on vacation, or a third of his presidency

:o  wow   :maf
:)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
From the ACLU newsletter today:
With four executive orders today, our new President:

* Ordered Guantánamo Bay shut down
    * Banned torture
    * Ordered a full review of U.S. detention policies and procedures, and
    * Delayed the trial of Ali al-Marri, an ACLU client whose case is at the center of the Supreme Court’s review of indefinite detention policies.

Cheebs

« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
From the ACLU newsletter today:
With four executive orders today, our new President:

* Ordered Guantánamo Bay shut down
    * Banned torture
    * Ordered a full review of U.S. detention policies and procedures, and
    * Delayed the trial of Ali al-Marri, an ACLU client whose case is at the center of the Supreme Court’s review of indefinite detention policies.
:bow

He has done more things I approve of in his first 2 days than Bush did in 8 years.

Brehvolution

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »
So he is a terrorist sympathizer.

lol
[close]
©ZH

ToxicAdam

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »

My global warming disinformation campaign is working! :bow Let the checks roll in now.

http://people-press.org/report/485/economy-top-policy-priority

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »
LOL at deficit reduction. Good luck  :lol

patrickula

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »
Obama's looking crazy good to me so far  8)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
closing gitmo? he's already making the mistakes of our last black president, Wayne Palmer  :-\

Oblivion

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:09 PM »
Wow its really happening:
(Image removed from quote.)

What, he's finally contacting Batman?