Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 342929 times)

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »
Yeah, I'm in but I've actually got some work this week so I've been kind of busy.  Probably be able to work on a deck tonight/tomorrow and be ready to play Friday.

Also :bow milling :bow2.

mill decks against non dredge decks :bow
XDF

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
I've always loved mill decks.  I wish my T2 mill deck was fast enough to not suck in competitive play.  Actually, that reminds me.  I'd like to playtest against some of the big names in T2 right now, if any of you netdeckers out there wanna grab some of the PT winners and play me.  I should be available tonight.  Also, any suggestions you guys have for T2, let me know.  Have a look.

http://www.anycraze.com/deck_viewer.asp?id=374853

And for  those too lazy to click the link and get full details on the cards...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
18    Islands

3    Drowner of Secrets
3    Grimoire Thief
3    Merrow Reejerey
1    Drowner Initiate
3    Ink Dissolver
2    Puresight Merrow
3    Sigil Tracer
3    Stonybrook Angler
2    Surgespanner
3    Merrow Witsniper

2    Merrow Commerce
1    Jace Beleren
3    Memory Erosion
4    Sanity Grinding
4    Spell Syphon
2    Familiar's Ruse

Deck size:              60              Lands:       18 (30%)             White:       0 (0%)
Side-Board size:       0            Creatures:    26 (43%)             Blue:    40 (67%)
Type 1 legal?            Yes            Enchantments:    5 (8%)     Black:    0 (0%)
Type 1.5 legal?            Yes            Artifacts:    0 (0%)             Red:    0 (0%)
Type Extended legal?    Yes            Spells:    10 (17%)             Green:    0 (0%)
Type 2 legal?            Yes                                                  Gold:    20 (33%)
[close]
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
jaybo- I've got faeries, boat brew, kithkin and 5cc loaded.  Plus you can play against the unstoppable might of AIG.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »
I'm all about it when I get home from work.  given, that'll be a few hours.  Hit me up on messenger / email me about 5:45pm if I haven't gotten up with you.  I'm distinguished mentally-challenged when it comes to remembering things.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »
I'm all about it when I get home from work.  given, that'll be a few hours.  Hit me up on messenger / email me about 5:45pm if I haven't gotten up with you.  I'm distinguished mentally-challenged when it comes to remembering things.

will do
yar

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2009, 03:23:05 PM »
I've got a Blightning deck.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »
Did they foil the cards from the future that somehow ended up in Future Sight? If so I am totally pimping out my collection with 4x of these foil.

Sooooooo ugly.  :heartbeat

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »
I threw a Standard deck together last night that I call "The Senate". I wanna play against Card Cheat's AIG.

I dropped some cash on some MTGO cards to get something worth playing in the ALA constructed block. It'll be easy to sell when I'm done thanks to all the automated third party resellers, and man oh man it's great being able to play a best 2 out of 3 over cereal before work against GOOD opponents. I've had more vigorous and interesting matches in the last day than I did in an entire week when I played it back in high school, when I had tons more time to play.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Frag- AIG is always ready to play.  I'm hoping "The Senate" is a mostly all white deck that stone walls.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
Frag- AIG is always ready to play.  I'm hoping "The Senate" is a mostly all white deck that stone walls.

mono white, tries to fog every turn, and manages to both bore and irritate you to death at the same time.
hex

tehjaybo

« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
lmao, that sounds hilarious
HURR

Kara

« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »
i call my monored decks the trail of tears

Kara

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:55 AM »
Karakand: yo
The Card Cheat: sup
Karakand: fishin for some games :)
The Card Cheat: i could play a game or two, i'm a little delirious with a toothache tho
Karakand: just cast delirium
Karakand: it'll be like stereo
Karakand: but with nerdery

edit: I finally got access to my DCI account again. I haven't played in a sanctioned tourney in almost six years haha.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:04:46 AM by Karakand »

tehjaybo

« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2009, 01:05:03 AM »
TCC just whooped my ass all over MWS.  haha

GGs man.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »
Thanks, I'm gonna monkey around with your merfolk deck.  The new set looks like it has cards that will help it, and I'm gonna see about splashing black for critter control like I said.
yar

Kara

« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2009, 03:18:37 AM »
These are the 3 EBC decks I've "made" that I feel the best about.

Ghettoffinity http://www.zshare.net/download/5842891959f01e03/
Pros: Fast. Resilient. Can avoid being wrecked by wraths.
Cons: Price of Progress. Shattering Pulse. Molten Rain. Sphere of Resistance. Viridian Shaman. Etc.

Monoblack Control http://www.zshare.net/download/5842908757efbac6/
Pros: Removal. Shade. Coffers.
Cons: Shitty mana curve; I am desperate for more worthwhile one drops. Probably can't keep pace with Ghettoffinity.

Sloath http://www.zshare.net/download/58429240625a4ad5/
Pros: Fatties for free! Good synergy with the blue drawing spells.
Cons: Weak tutors. Shitty fatties. No Forbidden Orchard available.

Stuff I want to work but am having trouble with: Survival of the Fittest, Black Aggro, B/R Disruption, Tooth and Nail

edit: Balls for mana fixing in this set. Talismans? Fuck off Wizos.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:23:39 AM by Karakand »

Kara

« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »

Kara

« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2009, 06:09:17 AM »
Did some Alara drafting Saturday night. I'm still hilariously awful at limited, except this time I didn't know any of the cards so it was even worse than in the past.

Alara drafting is awesome, BTW. I played four colors one time. AND IT WORKED. 

Homemade Milk

• dandy ass extraordinaire
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2009, 06:26:39 AM »
how is this thread so long?
eri

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2009, 06:32:22 AM »
Because it's not asian

Take the hint
fat

Kara

« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
how is this thread so long?

me

wanna fight about it

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
I bought the Demonic vs. Divine box this past weekend becasue of this thread. had a fun time with some buddies!

Kara

« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
It's pretty fun. Well designed to be fun is a more precise way of putting it.

Had you played the game before?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
if they had a MTG game like pokemon GBC it would probably be thebest game ever
fat

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
It's pretty fun. Well designed to be fun is a more precise way of putting it.

Had you played the game before?

I last played back in 1996 when "Ice Age" was out. I started when "The Dark" was released.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »
Yeah me and my playgroup had a solid 6-7 hour session on Saturday (and we got KFC, yuussss)

Evangelize with buyback and me having 10 plains and a extraplanar lens was a real buttfucking lol

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
lol at Nemesis of Reason. Would be another fun addition to a Dmir U/B mill deck. That Szadek cunt was hilarious

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »
lol at Nemesis of Reason. Would be another fun addition to a Dmir U/B mill deck. That Szadek cunt was hilarious

:rock Glimpse the Unthinkable :rock

I'm thinking a UB mill deck might be slightly feasible in extended.
yar

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
The Traumatize/ Haunting Echoes combo would still be amazing, would it? Not sure if that combo was ever competitve, but it sure was funny!

Kara

« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »
I last played back in 1996 when "Ice Age" was out. I started when "The Dark" was released.

That seems like the ideal person for these sets. Enough old cards for there to be familiarity but enough new ones for it to seem interesting. Scope out the other one if you get the chance: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/jacevschandra/productinfo

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

I know a guy who would have killed ZIPCODES for this card back in the day.
UK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
I'm more excited about this one:

yar

Kara

« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »
I would have killed a person on life support for Defiler of Souls in my second draft Saturday night. I literally had one monocolored creature in my whole deck.

When I first heard about mythic rares I thought it was lame-ass shit but it's basically a license to print limited bombs which is cool. The only one I saw while drafting that was actually constructed-viable was Elspeth... who was the only good card in my first deck.  :'(

edit: Best part was she got passed to me.

T234

« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »

PLUS

=

OMGWTFBBQ

UK

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
Two things:

1) is this about Magic Online? If so, I'm fucking in  :D

2) Karakand, anyone with a Grackleflint as their avatar is a'ight by me  :-*
dap

Kara

« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Frag's been MODO'ing. I tried installing it the other day but it's an abortion of coding and didn't really work so I gave up.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »
I'm more excited about this one:

(Image removed from quote.)

it fits bant aggro perfectly-right now there is only one really ace 3 casting cost creature (Rhox War Monk), now you get another really good one.

There are whole decks built around this:

1st turn - noble hierarch/birds of paradise
2nd turn - doran the siege tower/rhox war monk
3rd turn - rafiq of the many , go over and hit you for 8-10 w/ lifelink up to 14

I've been playing pauper on magic online. It's a good , cheap format and I like A) easily finding a match at any time of day and B) having the client sort out all of the rules. MWS with random people sucks.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »
I might think about getting back into magic online (I have an account, haven't been active since ravnica-early time spiral) especially for the pauper.  There's certainly no local playgroups that I've found around town, sadly.  None of the comic shops even do FNM, and anyway interacting with some of those people is not high on my list of things to do.

I'd be worried about getting hardcore back into it, tho.  Don't really have the money to throw around for that, but I really like the card set out there right now in Standard, and like that some of the more annoying cards are about to rotate out. (Bitterblossom, I'm looking at you)
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
the real thing that kills anyone looking to play Type 2 (online or offline) is the damn mana base. A set of reflecting pools will put you back $100, then the rest of the mana base for just one single deck will probably add up another $50, and more if you want mutavaults.

For the most part single card prices are actually lower than in real life (cryptic command is like a $9 card online, thoughtsieze like $6.50) and the bots make getting cards really easy, but the mana base is just prohibitive unless you specifically run a two-color deck.

Block constructed in ALA is what I have been dabbling with and it's waaaay cheaper than T2 with a lot of diversity, the only downer is right now there's only two sets of cards to work with. But even that is fun.

hex

Kara

« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »
The Standard market is fucking surreal. A metagame aggro deck like Blightning Beatdown has 4.5 commons in it. (Mogg Fanatic was once a common.) One of them is Mountain.

Kara

« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
Synchronicity, the Magic podcast I started listening to just talked about ridiculous rare prices and more specifically, mana-fixing ones. This shit's been going on excessively since Crapigawa block? I quit competitive constructed play at the perfect time.

Ganhyun

« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

PLUS

=

OMGWTFBBQ

I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:12:21 PM by Ganhyun »
XDF

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2009, 01:17:05 AM »
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

DO WANT
yar

Kara

« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2009, 01:26:43 AM »
Reprint Spiritmonger.

edit: Another staple, modular card printed at rare. Thanks R&D.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:29:52 AM by Karakand »

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2009, 02:01:41 AM »
you think that's bad? wait until the lorwyn-shadowmoor block rotates out and see what prices on Elspeth, Knight-Errants and Ajani Vengeant (both Mythic Rares) boil on up to. Those two dominate block play currently.

Maelstrom Pulse is going to run $50 a playset though that's for sure.
hex

Ganhyun

« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:28 AM »
seeing these new magic cards (I stopped playing at Kamigawa my second time) makes me ge tthe itch to play again :(

I'm trying not to get sucked back in.
XDF

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
I hadn't played since Ice Ages when I picked up the game again recently. It's got colossal moneysink potential and the online client is coded worse than most Wii software, but the game itself is actually really awesome. Honestly, I didn't look into it again until I started playing Battleforge and realized to myself that competitive games with rapidly changing metagames and lots of interchangeable parts have a lot of room for player innovation and ingenuity.

oh and maelstrom pulse is now going for $80 on ebay for a chinaman playset.

hex

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
I went to a draft last night and went 3-0 with an awesoem Naya deck. I even drafted TWO Child of Alaras

I had lots  of fatties like Bull Ceradon and the 5/6 green spider. Combined with some great direct damage. (Exploding Borders  :heartbeat) I had a fantastic draft.

The best play of the night was having child of Alara go off and then playing another the very next turn.

Kara

« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »
seeing these new magic cards (I stopped playing at Kamigawa my second time) makes me ge tthe itch to play again :(

I'm trying not to get sucked back in.

come on man all the cool kids are doing it... BOW TO PEER PRESSURE

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just take up drafting. Scalable in frequency and costs are fairly precise. Just hope you don't suck like I do.  :'(
[close]

Unrelated: Anyone still give a shit about this EBC or should I re-roll it? Or just ax the project entirely?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »
I think block constructed would be more fun.  Sure weird pairings might lead to some cool, creative decks/strategies, but on the whole I think most of us don't have the time to fully explore a card set (especially if we're not familiar with it to begin with) to screw around with ideas.
yar

Kara

« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
I'd prefer standard environments... block constructed tends to be even more stale. :linsivvicry

T234

« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »

ALL COMMONS

UK

Kara

« Reply #232 on: April 16, 2009, 10:51:26 PM »
Is that a big deal? They seem prohibitive enough to warrant being common.

tehjaybo

« Reply #233 on: April 16, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
I'm cool with whatever is thrown up.  I have a black deck made from the torment/mirrodin/mirage thing, I just haven't been on much at night to play. 

That being said, billyofcourse is over right now and we just made some pauper decks.  I made "Tiny Tim, the poor man's ping".    It's a red/blue tap/1 damage deck.  billyofcourse, of course, took my idea and ran with it.  He made a solid blue control/tim deck.  And laughed at me while I lost. 

Let me go on record to say I hate mother may I.  fml.
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #234 on: April 16, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
mono blue control is awesome wowawesome for pauper.

I don't like the borderposts. if you need mana fixing on the super-cheap in standard go for terramorphic expanse, the alara 3-color taplands, or the vivid lands.

hex

Kara

« Reply #235 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
And in limited I'd rather run Mana Cylix.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2009, 01:08:49 AM »

sweet jesus
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2009, 01:43:36 AM »
[img]http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/tcg/products/alarareborn/o14g6okk6m_EN.jpg[img]

sweet jesus

*masturbates furiously*

That's pretty gross for limited and block constructed, don't know if it will replace glorious anthem in standard tho.

I'm also breaking down and right now have Magic Online downloading to the ol' laptop as I type, gonna take a peek at my old account and see about getting anything for my old cards I guess.  I figure at the very least I should be able to put together some fun pauper decks.
yar

Kara

« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2009, 02:23:51 AM »
Hey look a useful common.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2009, 02:30:43 AM »
Those are going to go into every bant deck around. Perfect synergy with rafiq of the many and the new angel .

I'm happy about another new card too:

back in the day I used to play a rabid wombat deck for kicks against newbies with spirit link and Verduran Enchantress, and then I would always try to finish off the game with a big fat berserk of foamy wombat goodness. This guy is 10x better now than the Rabid Wombat and might even see standard play with popular enchaments like Loxodon Warhammer and Shielf of the Oversoul.

hex