Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 179740 times)

drew

• sy
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
yeah im definitely getting this

cant wait for the eventual eb posse fights against gaf and oa

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
After watching those trailers I'm going to need a dry pair of pants.

Please don't suck and have trademark horrible Rockstar control.

cool breeze

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
yeah, I'm down for an evilbore posse

we can hunt bears together  :omg

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »
This game is set in 1908

my grandfather would have been 13 years old then

wow, that's a little weird
sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
Basically its set at the very end of the West we tend to be familar with. They mentioned that in one of the videos.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
yeah, i know that, just commenting on how weird it is that i grew up knowing someone who was a teenager during that era (although i am sure it wasn't all that "wild")
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »
I wanna play this game with Eel, his Southern accent will make it feel so authentic.  And I'll talk in mangled Spanish and pretend to be a bandito. :heartbeat
PS4

Stoney Mason

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »
yeah, i know that, just commenting on how weird it is that i grew up knowing someone who was a teenager during that era (although i am sure it wasn't all that "wild")

Wait till your grandkids play games set during "9/11"

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
grandpa did the terrorists really attach rockets to the towers and fly them into the sun
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2010, 04:43:32 AM »
Rockstar Blog

“Will there be any difficulty setting options for Red Dead Redemption?” - received via Mouthoff

We want players of all skill levels to enjoy Red Dead Redemption.  With that in mind, we’ve implemented levels of difficulty into the game that employ different types of auto-aiming. Casual mode gives you a full auto-aim system (and faster regenerating health).  Normal mode features snap-to-target with precise aiming using the right stick.  Expert mode implements free aim with no lock-on at all.  First time we have done this in an open world game, so we will be interested to see what people think having played with each option.

Casuals :yuck
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
So, hm, sounds like the Normal option is standard GTA IV aiming. It will be interesting to see how they marry that to the bullet-time, showdown-time, or whatever they're calling it for RDR.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2010, 10:23:33 AM »
expert mode and free-aim for the win
nat

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
Definitely going expert.

cool breeze

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
one neat thing I heard yesterday was that the wanted system in this game is dependent on witnesses.  If rob someone and kill all the witnesses, the law won't come after you at all.  They also have masks and stuff you could wear to prevent this.  But even if someone manages to escape and spot you, your wanted level is persistent until you pay off your own bounty.  Sounds a lot more interesting than just the normal heat/star meters from these games.

So, hm, sounds like the Normal option is standard GTA IV aiming. It will be interesting to see how they marry that to the bullet-time, showdown-time, or whatever they're calling it for RDR.

I don't know why I was thinking that the normal option sounded like CoD4/MW2 where aiming snaps to the nearest enemy in the screen but is still free aim.  Guess easy means like GTA3/Vice City levels of auto-aim where you lock on and fire.  I wonder if they're also getting rid of the half vs full press from GTA4.  In that game I would press it all the way to select the nearest enemy, then release it a bit so I'm back into free aim.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:29:48 AM by swaggaz »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
Interesting; I've not tried that. Most commonly the snap-to-and-lock aiming is maintained, then the right-stick is used while maintaining the lock-on to target the head (or other body part). This is how I got the damned 20 pistol kills in a single multiplayer session 'cheev.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »
cat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
*grabs the lube*
SRY

Stoney Mason

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »
FOX ADDS "GLEE" ENCORE, "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" SPECIAL
By The Futon Critic Staff (TFC)

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- FOX isn't done with "The Power of Madonna" just yet.

Network sources confirmed this morning last night's episode of "Glee" will rebroadcast this Friday at 9:00/8:00c. DVR viewers saw the last few minutes of said installment cut off as a result of "American Idol's" overrun.

Meanwhile, the network has booked "Red Dead Redemption," a half-hour animated film, for Saturday, May 15 at midnight/11:00c.

John Hillcoat ("The Road") helmed the special, which is based on the video game of the same name due to be released on May 18. Here's how developer Rockstar Games describes the release: "America, early 1900's. The era of the cowboy is coming to an end. When federal agents threaten his family, former outlaw John Marston is sent across the American frontier to help bring the rule of law. Experience intense gun battles, dramatic train robberies, bounty hunting and duels during a time of violent change. Red Dead Redemption is an epic battle for survival in a beautiful open world as John Marston struggles to bury his blood-stained past, one man at a time."

It replaces a repeat of "Brothers," which assumed the Saturday, midnight/11:00c slot this past weekend.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/04/21/fox-adds-glee-encore-red-dead-redemption-special/8631/
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
Animated companion film? Really? IT'S A WESTERN. This is like the ONE genre of game which is easier and cheaper to do live action than with animation. ???

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2010, 11:24:50 PM »
yeah, no shit, just film in arizona and raid the wardrobe department
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »
also, unless they really fuck up the controls, i will be participating in MP as a swarthy mexican bandit

JOO THEENK JOO CAN TAKE ME, BLONDIE?!?!?!
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2010, 07:09:22 AM »
It hasn't been an easy five years, insiders admit, with several journeys down paths never finished. It's difficult to imagine the finished product being much bigger, however, as it takes at least 40 hours for a single person to complete and hundreds more for those who pursue optional challenges and play together online.

Because Red Dead Redemption takes place in desolate, rough country, integrating a hallmark trait of Rockstar's past games — the ability to chance upon interesting people and things to do — was a major challenge. "It would have been contrived to say ‘Here's another small town and another small town,' " said producer Steve Martin. "So we made the natural world alive with bears, coyotes, cougars and snakes. It gives you that sense of struggle against the wilderness."

As with all of Rockstar's open world games, Red Dead is divided into missions, specific tasks that advance the story in small chunks, such as earning a sheriff's trust by helping him bring in the local "most wanted." Marston is just as deadly with his rifle as GTA protagonists have been with semiautomatics. He doesn't, however, engage in any of their controversial sexual behavior. "I'm a married man," Marston says early in the game when told about available "female company."
:yuck

"We have just over 500 characters who all have names, family members and jobs," said Josh Bass, head of art. "You can see a man at 7 a.m. in a Mexican market manning the chicken stand and at 6 p.m. he'll go over to the local pub."
:hyper

"The morally ambiguous cowboy is the perfect protagonist for the style of game we make," observed Houser. "Sometimes you can be the hero, sometimes you can be the bad guy, and sometimes while you're deciding what to do, a bear comes out of nowhere and eats someone."

:bow
 :gun

Good stuff :)
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-reddead-20100425,0,3266497.story
cat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
As with all of Rockstar's open world games, Red Dead is divided into missions, specific tasks that advance the story in small chunks, such as earning a sheriff's trust by helping him bring in the local "most wanted." Marston is just as deadly with his rifle as GTA protagonists have been with semiautomatics. He doesn't, however, engage in any of their controversial sexual behavior. "I'm a married man," Marston says early in the game when told about available "female company."
:yuck

Marsten is a righteous man, I can dig it :pimp Well, the character I'll play as, its unfortunate for you that want to make some outLAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
:9

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »
Xbox LIVE Gold or Silver members who download the Multiplayer Freeroam trailer on Xbox LIVE Marketplace between April 26, 2010, 12:01 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and May 10, 2010, 11:59 PM GMT, will receive (a) (1) 400 Microsoft Points Token and (b) (1) Theme Token to download an exclusive Rockstar Theme. In order to qualify for the tokens,you must download the Multiplayer Freeroam trailer on Xbox LIVE. The Xbox tokens will be sent to the corresponding LIVE ID email account, within 4-6 weeks after the end of the promotion period. The maximum amount of Microsoft Point Tokens available are 5,000 tokens. The Microsoft Point tokens will expire 12/31/2010. The Theme tokens will expire 6/30/2010. Limit one (1) gift per person. Offer available only to legal residents, age 18+, of United Kingdom, is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other Microsoft rebate or offer.  Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Offer provided by: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington, 98052.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:31:52 PM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »
Game informer preview-spoilers inside

Random encounters with travelers aren’t the only extracurricular activities in the game. Red Dead has robust progression systems that track your prowess as a hunter, sharpshooter, survivalist, and treasure hunter. Each level tasks you with a specific goal. For example, to achieve a new rank as master hunter you may have to kill five wolves with your bowie knife (no small feat). Each new level features increasingly deadly animal targets – cougars, wild boars, and grizzly bears, to name a few. Sharpshooting, on the other hand, focuses on targeting more evasive animals like birds and rabbits.

Like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the countryside is filled with various types of flora. To increase your survivalist rank, you must collect specified amounts of each plant (which can also be traded in for cash at the general store). Treasure hunting is more involved; all you’re given is a drawing of a landmark that indicates where the treasure is buried, and it takes a keen eye to spot them in the wilderness. Most of the treasure is currency, but you’ll occasionally stumble upon weapons as well.

http://gameinformer.com/games/red_dead_redemption/b/xbox360/archive/2010/04/28/first-few-hours.aspx

cat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
Can't fucking wait for this game, I wasn't much of a fan of the first but this looks to me like its fixed all the problems I had with the first one. I'm hoping that the game is fun enough online to justify my buying two copies of the game for me and the misses. The posse stuff just looks like too much fun.

cool breeze

« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
This has more in common with Gun than Red Dead Revolver.  Other than being part of the wild west and having dead aim targeting, I don't think it looks like Red Dead Revolver at all.  Even the tone of the game seems to be more Deadwood or old westerns opposed to the campy stuff in Revolver, and it is no longer an arcadey shooter.

cool breeze

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »
someone wrote up a list of awesome stuff based on the previews
Cliffnotes:
- Only a few seconds of load time to start the game (so no picture slideshow like GTA)
- No noticeable hitches in framerate in seven hours of play time
- Only real loading comes from fast travel
- Very little pop-in despite the draw distance
- Very detailed texturing with smooth load-ins
- No two areas of the map are alike. Everything is unique.
- The game is generous with mid-mission checkpoints and if you fail you can restart from the last checkpoint
- Dying warps you to your nearest owned or rented property, and there is ample property to buy
- In your safehouse you can restock on ammo, sleep (which saves and fast forwards the game clock by six hours) and change clothes
- Robust clothing options, though nothing super specific like mixing and matching
- Can visit general stores, gun shops, clinics, the tailor and more.
- Can buy chewing tobacco, apples (to feed your horse), medicine (to heal yourself) and bandannas (to disguise yourself)
- Money is harder to come by than in GTA but its more useful
- Can sell items you find, along with animal skins
- Loads of sidequests to be discovered by simply exploring and living in the world with less repitition and more depth than you'd think
- The difficulty system is based on how much computer assistance you get in the aiming. The easiest difficulty is full lock on, the hardest is full free aim
- "This isn't just "GTA in the West", it's a genre-defining experience that utterly raises the bar for all open-world games to follow."

property buying :bow2
money meaning something :bow2

also, Walmart is offering $20 credit with the game and Amazon matched it

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Dead-Redemption-w-Bonus-10-eGift-Card-Xbox-360/13069225
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/

Walmart comes with playing cards (to use in real life) and Amazon's bonus is golden weapons that increase fame faster

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »
RED DEAD REDEMPTION (FOX) - The network has quietly shifted the half-hour animated film from Saturday, May 15 to Saturday, May 29 at midnight/11:00c. No reason was given for the change.

hmmmm...
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
RED DEAD REDEMPTION (FOX) - The network has quietly shifted the half-hour animated film from Saturday, May 15 to Saturday, May 29 at midnight/11:00c. No reason was given for the change.

hmmmm...
Ship date delayed again as well, then?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »

hmmmm...
Ship date delayed again as well, then?

Hopefully not,but if we don't hear "game is now gold" soon...

Some new info,

The running mechanic is interesting. You repeatedly hit the A button until you get to the speed you want, then keep it pressed. This works on the horse too, allowing you to reach an impressive gallop – though the beast's stamina wears down quickly, especially when you venture off the dirt tracks and onto rough country terrain. If you're riding with another character, once you've reached the same speed as their horse, you can lock in to a sort of cruise control mode, which allows you to relax and listen to the dialogue – lots of vital mission information is often rattled out en route to the next bloody showdown.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/apr/30/games-gameculture
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:59:01 AM by maxy »
cat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
I don't know if I wanna buy this, Mario, and 3D Heroes in the same month. And I don't know what I'd do with another $20 credit. Can they be stacked onto the same game? I could get this and Mario and get 3D Heroes for free...

cool breeze

« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »
You can stack credit

The new running sounds good.  Pretty much A once to jog, double/triple tap and hold to sprint.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
I have two different $25 rewards cards from my Amazon credit card. I'm gonna put $25 on Mario, $25 on this, and use their $20 credits to get 3D Heroes for free. 8)

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »

Ladies,prepare to suffer!!

This is a fallen woman,btw...

DLC news coming later today.
cat

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »
Does this game has offline co op?
Drunk

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
No, but the DLC news just announced, is a free DLC pack, which adds around half a dozen co-op missions (which I assume can be played offline too?), as well as extra achievements. Im in! I might get the Limited Edition, the bonus items sound pretty cool and its only a couple of extra bucks.

Boresquad Regulator Posse :rock
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:35:57 PM by The Sceneman »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

That guy near the end reminds me of Yusuf

Yusuf :bow2
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:27:59 AM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

I started out small. A few drinks at the saloon and a bar fight later, I stumbled out into the night looking for some easy money. I ran into an old crazy lady begging me to help her find a man named Peter, but that seemed like too much work so I shot her and moved on. And just like that, my honor meter went down by five points. It would take a few dozen more bullets to innocents to gain some real notoriety, but if there is one thing that Red Dead Redemption has it is a lot of innocents to toy with.

Take, for instance, the sorts of things you can do with a lasso. You gain this little tool during a mission that teaches you the ins and outs of breaking a wild horse, but you can aim the rope ring at people, too. I went to the saloon and found a prostitute, hog-tied her and then slung her over my shoulder to take for a ride. She didn't take too kindly to this treatment, screaming out obscenities like, "There are other ways to a girl's heart, you ass!" along the way. I responded by leaving her on a train track.

he most fun comes thanks to the epic animations Red Dead Redemption produces. Shooting or knifing people and animals invariably results in hilarity. During my travels I did everything from uppercutting a cow with a bowie knife to killing so many lawmen as they entered a saloon that they were stumbling over their predecessor's body pile. You don't even have to kill anybody to have some fun. Just drawing your gun on an innocent walking down the road will startle them into a funny reaction. My favorite was a man sitting with his legs up on a table. When I trained my sights on him he fell over backwards into a piano.
:whip

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088356p1.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:43:48 PM by maxy »
cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
As always posting a review not because I think reviews are any more worthwhile than anybody else's opinion but just as one opinion among many.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:26:32 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
Not the best quality video but whatever

Bebpo

« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »
I'm gonna wait until the backlash before deciding whether to give this a shot.  The way Rockstar got every review of GTAIV to be 10/10 put all Rockstar games on the "don't trust reviews" list.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »
I really really liked GTAIV. Can't wait for this to hit the nets a week before release

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »
Knowing the way Rockstar handles early reviews there's no way I'm taking any of those seriously. I will wait for the opinion of my fellow Boritos

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2010, 07:47:39 PM »
I'm gonna wait until the backlash before deciding whether to give this a shot.  The way Rockstar got every review of GTAIV to be 10/10 put all Rockstar games on the "don't trust reviews" list.

Same.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
I'm in a similar boat. I'm so weary of being burned by the press again, that I think I might wait.
PSP

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »
I would be scared after the GTAIV 10/10 interactive Martin Scorcese debacle... but this game just looks so awesome! I love cowboy shit and Im looking forward to teaming up with evilbros and making a posse of outlaws!

Ive got it pre-ordered. And if the game stinks... well Im sure the resell value will stay high for a while.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:03:11 PM by The Sceneman »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »
i want to make offensive stereotype characters and kill people in multiplayer with them

day one
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
Amazing stuff :drool

Day 1
©ZH

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
i want to make offensive stereotype characters and kill people in multiplayer with them

day one

oh man, my homosexual Bandito with no shirt and bandelero belt is going to pwn :drool

Hopefully they will give us these kind of customisation options

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
Oh man, my mind is going wild here.

WHAT IF: you could stuff your character's pockets with dripping burritos, so you leave a trial of salsa, beans and onions when you walk around

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
i would buy that dlc
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
"Are you finding your Red Dead Redemption experience too mild? Download the Chili Sauce DLC pack today! You'll find brand new character customisation options, such as burritos for your gun holsters, and a nacho hat! But be warned, this will make you an even tastier target for the Mountain Lions and Coyotes! There are no refunds for this item."

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »
That sounds great
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2010, 04:03:44 AM »
I think that people that really really hated GTAIV(episodes especially) have to look elsewhere.

Expect GTAIV(episodes) game mechanic.
Also this is not Fallout 3,don't expect some huge sidequests in the wasteland.
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
No PC version...maybe in year or two,maybe not...sorry Archie  :P

Some info,from local mag forums...

They had to go to London to play the game.

Game looks and runs much better than GTA4(episodes included),360 version.

Controls are similar(not identical) to GTA4 and they work well.

Aim-assist is significantly toned down,you have aim close to target if you want it to work.

Marston is constantly repeating "I'm a married man"-no wild west sex  :'(

cat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
Man, I want to put a preorder down but after the whole GTA4 thing turned out I don't know which system to buy it for.  I've been pretty much avoiding all RDR hype so I don't know anything regarding the differences, if there's any at all.  Anyone heard anything about it?  If it's just minor BS, I'll more than likely pick it up for the 360 but if it's going to be another GTA4 situation, I may have to try both to see which one I prefer.
Tacos

Stoney Mason

« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »
Sounds like a modern day Ultima game. This has no PC version planned?

C'mon now. They actually want to make money on this game.