Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 179738 times)

Raban

• The baby...
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »
I think they just use your GT. If I could name mine it'd be Pancho Villa *looks for mexican emote* Where's a sombrero smiley? EB, I AM DISAPPOINT.
SRY

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
Ichirou Oogami doesn't sound like a very appropriate name for a European arms dealer. :(
PS4

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
Visually, it's impressive. Getting out of the train and seeing the landscape that surrounds the small town, never seen this in a game. And i can walk into the distance.

huckleberry

« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2010, 11:33:27 PM »
PS3 version here as well. 

Fucking 360  :maf
wub

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2010, 11:50:48 PM »
How much can you customize your multiplayer character?  That's what I wanna know.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »
So how much did R* evolve since the first Read Dead?
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2010, 02:49:49 AM »
Some quick impressions

-John is much more agile,responsive than Louis...Louis feels like a tank...i replayed gay Tony 2 times in last 30 days
-game looks fantastic...very clean,much better than GTAIV
-they changed shadow algorithm...no dithered shadows
-Foliage now looks great
-Framerate is rock stable

cat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
How's the soundtrack?
PS4

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:16 AM »
:violin

It fits the game...lots of ambient sounds around...people,horses,chicken,wind,animals...
cat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
None of this?
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
SRY

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2010, 03:46:30 AM »
Well,I'm like one hour in,guitar is playing now
cat

TripleA

« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2010, 04:39:33 AM »
PS3 version has exclusive features, including a town and a costume.  No word on if the 360 version is getting anything.

Getting Ps3 version  :D

Edit: Wait are you the same Methodis everyone thinks I am
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:47:52 AM by TripleA »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2010, 04:57:14 AM »
Methodis/TripleA just meta'd my brain into the endzone. I can't tell if he's smart enough to pull off pretending to only just now make the connection with who Methodis is. For which he would have to be pretty dumb. Unless it's intentional, which would make it pretty clever. Which would be out of character for either one of them. Unless both are personas which only pretend to be dumb.

TripleA

« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2010, 04:59:46 AM »
Methodis/TripleA just meta'd my brain into the endzone. I can't tell if he's smart enough to pull off pretending to only just now make the connection with who Methodis is. For which he would have to be pretty dumb. Unless it's intentional, which would make it pretty clever. Which would be out of character for either one of them. Unless both are personas which only pretend to be dumb.

Your birth was complicated wasn't it?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2010, 05:35:12 AM »

:bow

About RDR

Combat is much more responsive,not quite as Gears of War or Mass Effect 2...but it's huge improvement over GTA 4
cat

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
PS3 version has exclusive features, including a town and a costume.  No word on if the 360 version is getting anything.

Solomons Folly gang hideout doesn't sound like a town...

360 version here btw. Solid online seals it for me, sounds like I'll be playing this online a lot.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:46:33 AM by quietID »
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2010, 07:46:27 AM »
I hope this game sells damn well. We need more games set in something other than sci-fi/ WWII/ Afghanistan.
100% IAWTP

We should have at least as many games featuring cowboys as we have games with samurai.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
I really hate western games. There are no cars and the weapons and clothes are stupid.
But I still want to try this game. Sounds like it's really good.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
just preordered the 360 version from amazon.  Does amazon send out their gift codes fairly quickly?  I want to use the $20 on ModNation Racers next week.
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
I really hate western games. There are no cars and the weapons and clothes are stupid.

lol
jon

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »

But then again there's no cellphones either so no one's calling you up every 3 minutes to go out to the saloon or go see a vaudeville show, of course I suppose they could always send you a telegraph.

Game sounds fucking fantastic from everything I've read from the people that are playing it.  I don't know why, but I really like games with huge beautiful worlds that I can just walk around in and look at the scenery like Just Cause, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, and Oblivion - to a lesser extent.

The PS3 exclusive top hat and the hideout sounds like a non-issue but I'd still like to read an honest comparison between the two version before I decide.  I was kind of hoping reviews would be going out last night but I guess we may have to wait until Monday.  Fucking Rockstar. :/
Tacos

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2010, 08:57:28 AM »
just preordered the 360 version from amazon.  Does amazon send out their gift codes fairly quickly?  I want to use the $20 on ModNation Racers next week.

As soon as it ships/charges.
PSP

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2010, 09:00:56 AM »
Just saw that the firing mechanics in the PS3 version are with the L2 and R2 squishy triggers.  My decision became a lot easier now.
Tacos

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2010, 10:05:03 AM »
Game is more responsive than GTAIV, Voice acting is great, the feeling of immersion is great.

Buy this game folks.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »
Btw,there is a movie house in towns...
Rain creates water puddles.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:09:05 AM by maxy »
cat

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
Just saw that the firing mechanics in the PS3 version are with the L2 and R2 squishy triggers.  My decision became a lot easier now.

Is it not with squishy RT and LT on 360 also?
◕‿◕

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »
They're springy, not squishy. :p

I much prefer the RT/ LT triggers on the 360 pad over the R2/L2 mushrooms on the DualShock, especially when it comes to firing mechanics.  That's why most games on the PS3 having the fire button on L1/R1 instead of the R2/L2 triggers because a lot of people find them funky to use.
Tacos

huckleberry

« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Most people complain about the PS3 analog placement, but the squishy triggers are the only thing about the controller that really suck...the rest is a matter of preference.
wub

cool breeze

« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »
yeah, PS3 triggers suck for shooters.  I have no problems with the analog sticks and since getting the real trigger things I don't have a problem with racing games or some shooters, but any game that requires you to press the trigger quickly is messy.  Only way it works in GTA4 for me hold the trigger to constantly fire and not all games allow that.  I don't think I've actually played a PS3 exclusive (other than the Haze demo) that has shooting on the triggers.

It has never taken more than two days for me to get credit from them.  The code for golden weapons (and "bonus" items in general) may take a bit longer.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2010, 11:10:55 AM »
thanks for the answers, guys
sup

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:05 PM »
Maxy, how the hell am i supposed to get bounty's alive?

I shoot them in the legs, but i can't restrain them anyway. I always end up killing them. Fuck!

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
Shoot them in the legs and use lasso to catch him
Hold LT and get close to him,press Y(hogtie) will pop out when you are close enough

You can just use lasso if he is not quick enough

You can do that on anyone...try it on some "easy" saloon woman
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:12:57 PM by maxy »
cat

Himu

« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »
But I still want to try this game. Sounds like it's really good.
:-\
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
I have no idea who da fuck this triple A guy is.
USA

TripleA

« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
Exactly, I have no clue who you are as well.

cool breeze

« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »
can you guys who are playing go into some detail about the different aiming styles they have now?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2010, 03:11:44 AM »
Casual,normal,expert

I use expert...no auto aim,it works well

When you press LT you automatically draw your weapon(selected in circle menu),no need for menu pimping

I used auto-aim in GTA4,combat was just too clunky for me.

One other thing

LOD(level of detail) system is excellent,draw distance is huge huge huge,way beyond anything released this gen,PC or console.
Programmers at Rockstar San Diego deserve Nobel prizes.  :bow2

And all those screenshots that Rockstar released are real,no bullshots...game looks exactly like that

There are some "jaggies" when you move around...depending on the time of the day and contrast,but if you stand still you have Rockstar "bullshot".

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:57:09 AM by maxy »
cat

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
PC version PLEASE
wha

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »
I stand far enough away from the T.V to not see the Jaggies. It's pretty impressive, pretty big leap from GTAIV.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
I haven't been this pumped for a game in a long time.  Tuesday can't get here soon enough.
Tacos

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I don't know which game to play. The new Prince of Persia or this one.
I think I'm going with this one.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
News is spreading that the PS3 version runs at a lower res than the 360 one (just like GTA4) and GAF is in meltdown mode.

Seriously, you guys have gone off the the deep end with how great this game looks, frothing like you are 10 years old. Does it look great (on the 360 and of course gimped from full on nirvana like always) sure it does. Is it so much better than anything else (on the PS3) not so much. I am sure it is a pretty damn good game but when it's subHD with no AA on the beast that is the PS3 NO ******* THANKS. I'll wait for the fall and christman and the 1st party to blow me away. God I love the Old West and GOD I hate Microsoft.

360 engines have ruined this Gen for multiplats. I can only hope for a PC version and some money to buy a PC in the next year or so (here I come M$). No way I'm playing a 540p game or even 640p of this caliber without AA on my 42" local dimmer. It will undoubtably look like crap. I can barely stand Ratchet and Clank and that is like 640p or something, and the cartoon visuals save it as does 60fps. Whatever. Rockstar is a big big BIG grisly senile boner imo and they are using an engine that is outdated and almost not compatible with the Cell's prowess.

Yeah, you guys settle for this. I will not. Nor will I support Rockstar and their outdated trashy 360 engine. Never did never will. KZ3 where are you?

I held out hope with R's post about what they have learned on the PS3.

FLACKIN LIES LIES LIES! This engine was built for the turd that is the 360 and as such I will now kill the entire world with my mind.

:rofl
Tacos

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2010, 10:13:44 AM »
wow :rofl

But it's pretty sad about the resolutuion. It's R*'s fault.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
thats pretty disappointing. hopefully it doesn't look too janky. welp, i'll find out come tuesday,
nat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
man, i have always found it weird and more than a little creepy how people will obsess over things like resolution and minute differences in graphical effects

maybe it's because i came of age at a time when a fucking single-color square represented your "man" onscreen in a video game, but i hardly ever notice stuff like that, and even in a mediocre game like aliens vs. predator i am still tickled (that is countryspeak for "delighted") by effects like the alien acid spraying across the screen

the only thing that ever jumps out at or bothers me is when the frame rate stutters and chugs in a racing game or during heavy action moments in a shooter, and most of the time i can even live with that unless it really affects reaction time

i guess what i am trying to say is that i am not thinking about making a bullet point list when i sit down to play a game
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »
In general the resolution/graphic counting nonsense is just an "objective" way (along with review scores) to provide some ammo for those defending or hating on a game.  Very few people really care about that those, and those that do are the ones who do the actual evaluations.

I'm still slightly interested because I have both the PS3 and 360 without too strong preferences for either.  That said, I mostly just care about the frame rate.

and occasionally I find it interesting to hear about some of the clever solutions devs have that they don't normally disclose, like the dynamic resolution in Wipeout HD.  Or like in SF4 PS3 where they drop resolution for the specials.  It's kinda neat to see the compromises they make to get these games to run smooth.

Casual,normal,expert

I use expert...no auto aim,it works well

When you press LT you automatically draw your weapon(selected in circle menu),no need for menu pimping

I used auto-aim in GTA4,combat was just too clunky for me.

thanks

I want to go with expect but I feel like trying to shoot in a horse might be difficult.  I'm hoping you can change it in the game at least.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »
thanks

I want to go with expect but I feel like trying to shoot in a horse might be difficult.  I'm hoping you can change it in the game at least.

You can change it on the fly.

And don't worry about something being difficult...just use Dead Eye

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:29:19 AM by maxy »
cat

drew

• sy
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »
is this thing out yet?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »
tuesday, although some places are breaking release date and selling it early (ymmv)
sup

Jansen

« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »

wow absolutely beautiful. at least one version of this game won't look like shit.

that extra outfit/hideout seems pretty compelling though. maybe i should switch my pre-order?

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
Game is good.

Riding in the wilderness. Saw someone looting a corpse, pointed my gun at him, he started running and I shot him in the leg. Came closer, he drew his gun and then I finished him in a point blank chin shot to the head. Awesome

Game is pretty too.
i

cool breeze

« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2010, 01:55:22 PM »
that screenshot looks amazing.  This game is seems like it will be the Vice City for this generation.

drew

• sy
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »
I hope this game sells damn well. We need more games set in something other than sci-fi/ WWII/ Afghanistan.

we need more afghanistan games because it hasnt been done right yet, which is why medal of honor will be my biggest game this year

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
The open country reminds me of Oblivion, in how beautiful it is and whenever I see a wild animal I want to shoot it and skin it. Saw a carriage in the process of being robbed and when I wanted to help the screaming lady I foolishly galloped over, only to be furiously shot off my horse by the band of robbers, DEAD. Pretty cool though.
i

TripleA

« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
man, i have always found it weird and more than a little creepy how people will obsess over things like resolution and minute differences in graphical effects

Resolution matters in games.

If you're making a game for an hd platform and your game isn't in hd, then I think it's perfectly normal for someone to be disappointed.

:D

Beezy

« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
More impressions please. I'm seriously considering using gamefly for a month for this and Blur. Is gamefly as bad as netflix with new releases?

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
Just caught some wild horses. Beautiful mission.

Riding through the country, guy asked for a ride, I slowed down, he pushed me off and stole my horse. Chased him down and killed him.

Text is hard to read in this game, especially the subtitles and tutorial text. I always need to reread it in my journal. And yes, I have a HDTV.
i

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
I don't know which game to play. The new Prince of Persia or this one.
I think I'm going with this one.

Had the same dilemma. Popped in POP just to see it, and it looked and moved pretty good, but i'll save it for later.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
I gotta wait until Friday for my copy in the dirty south pacific. Sounds awesome, looks like theres been zero negative impressions so far. Cant wait to unlock the "Fightin Round the World" achievement. Nice South Park reference

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
More impressions please. I'm seriously considering using gamefly for a month for this and Blur. Is gamefly as bad as netflix with new releases?

fat