Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 1405305 times)

Borys

• CAPTAIN OF XBOX DEATH SQUAD
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34200 on: January 31, 2019, 02:45:08 AM »
Chuchel was pretty meh... didn't like neither the graphics nor the puzzles nor the humor. Finished it in one sitting. Big, bigly disappointment. It tried too hard to be funny? Sometimes the humor was too ironic/ paradox for me.

Machinarium is still the holy grail from Amanita Design. There is not one month passing I am not thinking about that game and wondering "where's the sequel?". Simply adored it and my kids as well. We played through it together and it was heaps of fun. Fuck that beads puzzle, though. That shit was nightmare fuel.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:16:14 AM by Borys »

MMaRsu

« Reply #34201 on: January 31, 2019, 02:51:33 AM »
All I need is Burnout 3 HD and then EA can go die.

Not before they do a remake of NBA Street V2.  I thought EA liked money, a remake of this would make tons of it.  Then they can die, assuming there are no plans on bringing NCAA Football back.

Let's not forget this game

This game really needs a port to current systems

I mean wtf EA I hate you

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34202 on: January 31, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »
Got I want Def Jam FFNY but its gone up in price for Gamecube
fat

bdoughty

« Reply #34203 on: January 31, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
Never played the Def Jam series. Terrible at any fighting game and just button mash.

NFL street was pretty fun too. the game was broken as hell, but fun when people werenít playing with dumb cheat teams where every player is jerry rice or some dumb shit.

It also provided us with the time that IGN apparently let EA Sports write little blurbs scattered throughout the review.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/01/10/nfl-street-3

NFL Street is the game that out-blitzes Blitz to revive the arcade football genre to a status worthy of the legends strutting their attitude across the asphalt.

If you're looking for one football game to get you through the upcoming post Super Bowl depression, NFL Street is the polygonal Prozac you've been chanting for, and you don't even need a prescription.

NFL Street sets it straight. No punk-ass kickers allowed.

NFL Street is what arcade sports is all about and proudly carries the torch onto the next generation who never truly knew what it was like to be on fire.

It's time to forget the rest, Street is as hot as they come.

Don Rumata

« Reply #34204 on: January 31, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Chuchel was pretty meh... didn't like neither the graphics nor the puzzles nor the humor. Finished it in one sitting. Big, bigly disappointment. It tried too hard to be funny? Sometimes the humor was too ironic/ paradox for me.

Machinarium is still the holy grail from Amanita Design. There is not one month passing I am not thinking about that game and wondering "where's the sequel?". Simply adored it and my kids as well. We played through it together and it was heaps of fun. Fuck that beads puzzle, though. That shit was nightmare fuel.

Bonus pic of our Machinarium plushies :) their are made in Czech Republic, top quality, none of that Made in China shit:

(Image removed from quote.)

In fact this is the only gaming memorabilia I own.... weird. I don't even have a single Souls shirt!
Machinarium is one of my favorite games yeah, but i'd say Samorost 3 is up there with it.
The soundtrack is just as good, and the visuals are just astonishing, plus i love the alien insect ahestetic.

Floex is a genius.

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #34205 on: February 01, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
Never played the Def Jam series. Terrible at any fighting game and just button mash.

NFL street was pretty fun too. the game was broken as hell, but fun when people werenít playing with dumb cheat teams where every player is jerry rice or some dumb shit.

It also provided us with the time that IGN apparently let EA Sports write little blurbs scattered throughout the review.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/01/10/nfl-street-3

NFL Street is the game that out-blitzes Blitz to revive the arcade football genre to a status worthy of the legends strutting their attitude across the asphalt.

If you're looking for one football game to get you through the upcoming post Super Bowl depression, NFL Street is the polygonal Prozac you've been chanting for, and you don't even need a prescription.

NFL Street sets it straight. No punk-ass kickers allowed.

NFL Street is what arcade sports is all about and proudly carries the torch onto the next generation who never truly knew what it was like to be on fire.

It's time to forget the rest, Street is as hot as they come.

Def Jam isn't really a fighting game, it's a wrestling game (at least the first 2) and was made by the same crew and a modified engine of the N64 wrestling games.

nachobro

• Live MŠs
« Reply #34206 on: February 02, 2019, 12:56:06 AM »
Played the Anthem demo a bit tonight. It's uh...interesting. Looks nice (though I'm going to turn off chromatic aberration) but the framerate is hitchy in places. Popped into the open world for a bit to learn the controls and imo the keyboard/mouse setup kinda controls like shit. Flying feels awkward and is difficult to control. I plugged in an Xbox controller and that definitely feels better and like they put a bit more focus on controller. Once I got the controller going, flying really does feel awesome but I kinda wish I could do dumb tricks in the air or something. :doge

Got into an open world mission and had a bunch of dudes join in and we were doing pretty well with it...then the demo crashed and I decided I'd try again tomorrow. :lol Overall the shooting feels a little stiff, you can dash around a little with your mech but there's no cover mechanic from what I can tell. Maybe I just need more time with it but for having a flying mechsuit I kinda expected something a little more dynamic.

benjipwns

« Reply #34207 on: February 02, 2019, 01:28:00 AM »
those shots are first time I've seen the actual game, that whole UI setup looks like Destiny smashed into Mass Effect to me
meowr

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34208 on: February 02, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
Cross-posting from the musou thread.

Got Fate/Extella Link for Switch (digital)- it's not out in 'Murica yet and got delayed until sometime in March for some reason.  Doesn't make sense to me when the game was fully localized months ago and released in English on PS4 and Vita in Asia regions.  Would have just imported for PS4 but decided to wait for the Switch port, which offers full English.  The first game turned out really well on the Switch and the sequel is just as good -if not better- of a port, so glad I waited.  It runs at a very smooth framerate (appears to be 30 FPS, but may be higher) and seems to be running 1080P docked.  It really doesn't look like that much of a visual downgrade from the PS4 version overall and looks nice.  Lots of enemies on-screen at the same time, too.

Like the original game, Fate/Extella Link is a musou-style action game that takes place in a digital word.  It's Musou Matrix!  Everyone is back from the original, with Nero Claudius and Tamamo No Mae as the main characters again, but Altera has been replaced with newcomer Charlemagne, who seems to be a total bro, lol.  There's a lot of assets being re-used here including some of the same stages as the original game, but everything feels much more refined now.  Fate/Extella had an exhausting amount of visual novel-style storyline between stages and the story bits alone were hours and hours of the game, which you had to play through four times to finish.  It also didn't allow for all of the characters to be played in the story modes and instead characters got unlocked for use in side stories that generally were a few levels each.

While there's still visual novel-type cut scenes, they are generally short and the game instead focuses on getting you right back into the action.  Whereas the first game felt like 50% VN and 50% action game, this feels like it's 100% action now.  Instead of going through long conversations to choose a path, clearing a stage opens up several levels that you can choose to play, broken down by day (I.E. day one is one stage, day two has two, etc.).  You can go back and play (or replay) all of the stages available as well- so far, each has generally had the same storyline, but with a few differences and boss/general types.  It's not necessary to play all of the stages to progress, but is useful for level grinding if needed.

The original game's four stories had you playing as one character throughout.  You can now choose from multiple characters to play as and can use in-game currency earned from playing levels to raise all characters' levels to match up with your highest-leveled character.  You still can 'craft' accessories that give you attack/defense/health regen/etc. options in battle, but now you also have four special move slots per character and can earn and switch up attacks inbetween battles.  The added special moves really help the game play to feel more varied and a bit less button-mashy like musou games can be.

Unless something unlocks, character side stories and free modes are gone- instead you get the story mode, extra battles that unlock as you play, and there's now a multiplayer mode which I haven't tried yet.  On Switch, this appears to be local multiplayer only.  Pretty sure it's online on PS4 and can't remember how it works on Vita.

DLC stuff currently being offered includes a bunch of outfits/swimsuits, disturbing 'chibi' character models for some of the main characters (got some of this stuff for free from having an Extella 1 save), and one playable character- Young Altera, who has not shown up in the story mode yet as a playable or enemy character, but from using her in the Extra Battle mode, seems to be the best character in the game by far.  Bit too loli for me with her half-nekkid design, though.  Might have to see if she has an alt costume to cover up with available.
:exxy

Overall, the improvements made to the game fix just about all my complaints on the original.  If you like musou games, this is worth checking out!
ど助平

nachobro

• Live MŠs
« Reply #34209 on: February 02, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »
those shots are first time I've seen the actual game, that whole UI setup looks like Destiny smashed into Mass Effect to me
so far it plays like an uninspired mix of both as well. i only have access to one mech suit i think, so maybe the others have some more interesting playstyles

tried again to use kb/m when i was less tired but flying is still awkward as hell and there's like 4 different sensitivity settings that don't seem to do shit so i'm going to stick with controller.

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #34210 on: February 02, 2019, 06:53:53 PM »
What I find weird about Anthem is that it doesn't look very good.
Not sure if it's the lighting or texture work but it doesn't look quite right.
dutch

HardcoreRetro

• DIGITAL MAN
« Reply #34211 on: February 03, 2019, 04:39:33 AM »
The only way I'd end up liking the game is if they renamed it Eulogy and it ends up killing EA.

Don Rumata

« Reply #34212 on: February 03, 2019, 05:08:44 AM »
Finally finished Lost in Vivo (it's not long, but i just took my time cause i was busy).
The final "gauntlet" was a bit insipid (the part just before it, felt more intense, tbh) but the ending put a smile on my face, and left me with a good impression of the game.
Overall, it's a really neat little horror game, well worth the 9Ä i paid for it.
Also, the extra tapes were real cool, even though i missed the first one.

Probably my favorite horror game since Evil Within 2.
After checking out of Outlast 2, because of boredom, it was nice to have my faith in the genre restored.

Svejk

« Reply #34213 on: February 03, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
Monster Boy shits wondrous heights all over so many metroidvania wannabes.  Just got to the frog transformation last night (after the pig, then snake)Ö. ManÖ does this game show how Metroidvanias are done, son!  :lawd  Itís definitely got some challenging platforming (and Iíve died quite a few times), but itís sooooo damn fun and charming!  The level designs are pure genius.  Anybody that ever enjoyed any of the Monster World  games, this is THE follow up that delivers all the above.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm tired of saying the word metroidvania.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 03:38:14 PM by Svejk »

Cindi Mayweather

• You gonna scroll past this post without saying howdy?
« Reply #34214 on: February 03, 2019, 05:29:49 PM »
Itís funny how Monster Boy is a tribute game to a Wonder Boy game but itís seen as a Metroidvania but itís the best term to apply it even though Dragonís Trap is similarly open ended puzzle solving.

Bebpo

« Reply #34215 on: February 03, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »
Monster Boy shits wondrous heights all over so many metroidvania wannabes.  Just got to the frog transformation last night (after the pig, then snake)Ö. ManÖ does this game show how Metroidvanias are done, son!  :lawd  Itís definitely got some challenging platforming (and Iíve died quite a few times), but itís sooooo damn fun and charming!  The level designs are pure genius.  Anybody that ever enjoyed any of the Monster World  games, this is THE follow up that delivers all the above.
I'm tired of saying the word metroidvania.

I liked the beginning, got to the first town, but then I played Hollow Knight and idk if I can go back. MB just felt so simple (not a bad thing), and HK was so good. I'll get back to MB at some point but just not in a rush. Same thing going on with Guacamelee 2 which I started and did a dungeon or two. Guac 1 is one of my favorite metroidvania's, but after HK idk. HK just pushed the bar so high for metroidvania for me.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34216 on: February 03, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »
Stop comparing Wonder Boy to Metroid. Youíll do a lot better then.

Svejk

« Reply #34217 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »
I really wanted to get into HK.... I really did.., but after 5-6 hours, I had no desire to keep going... The art direction was unique and the music was moody, but everything started looking the same to me and the level designs (from what I saw) was just getting meh...
Plus the whole Souls retrieving thing, I really don't find fun..
Maybe it'll click for me some other time...

I have a heavy bias for the Wonder Boy series (obviously).  The nostalgia runs deep.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:33:16 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #34218 on: February 03, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
Finished up all the stuff in Alexandria in AC Origins. Pretty fun city. About 13 hours in now, lvl.17, will be nice to get back to the desert. Only problem with this whole leveling thing is that if you do all the side stuff in AC games like I tend to do you end up ridiculously OP and nothing is a threat. The main story missions are still like lvl.12 where I'm at. Everyone talks about the grind in Origins/Odyssey but feels the opposite for me because of how I play these games. Maybe I should turn level scaling on.

Stop comparing Wonder Boy to Metroid. Youíll do a lot better then.

Yeah, I getcha. it seems more a stage based platformer.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34219 on: February 03, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
Beat Fate/Extella Link for the first time.  The final boss fight seemed a bit too easy and it didn't feel like much of an ending...plus I'm pretty sure all the characters in the game didn't even pop up!  So as expected, when I went back to the story mode, a split route popped up with at least another eight stages available.  You don't have to play all of the regular stages to get to the end, so I still have six levels from that route to go through, plus there's all the extra battle stages, meaning lots to do still.  Good stuff!

EDIT:  13 character slots left to unlock.  Looks like you pretty much have to clear all the regular stages before you can get to the second set that open up.  Makes sense.  The game also lets you freely-select any character for levels once you beat it.  Hoping that means I can use characters who normally aren't playable in the story mode, but kind of doubt it.

EDIT 2: You can use anyone who has been unlocked in story mode after clearing it once.
:phil
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:30:19 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34220 on: February 03, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
Monster Boy is very much a Metroidvania.  And it shits all over Hollow Knight.  So dunno- feel the exact opposite, Bebpo.

:idont
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:55:58 PM by bork »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #34221 on: February 03, 2019, 10:57:55 PM »
Monster Boy is very much a Metroidvania.  And it shits all over Hollow Knight.  So dunno- feel the exact opposite, Bebpo.

Why didn't you like Hollow Knight?

At least Svejk said it was the areas looking similar and not being a fan of the dark souls mechanic.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34222 on: February 03, 2019, 11:00:12 PM »

Why didn't you like Hollow Knight?

At least Svejk said it was the areas looking similar and not being a fan of the dark souls mechanic.

My opinion on it pretty much mirrors Svejk's.  I usually go for Metroidvania games, but something about Hollow Knight just turned me right off.  Was pretty disappointed by what I played.  Still plan to give it another chance later on.

Monster Boy to me is easily one of the best games released last year.  Just a super-polished platformer/vania game.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #34223 on: February 04, 2019, 03:47:36 AM »
I feel like you probably just need to get further.

Like I started HK and got through 2 areas and then shelved it for almost two months. Then I picked it up and got a few more abilities and it clicked.

Did you get to City of Tears? I feel like with Dark Souls 1 and Anor Londo thatís where it starts to pick up.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34224 on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »
Will wait for HK to be PS+ or GWG
fat

Maiden Voyage

« Reply #34225 on: February 04, 2019, 08:49:35 AM »
I put in something like 12 hours into HK. It was very bland and the level design was horrendous. I don't get why it was hyped up so much.

Svejk

« Reply #34226 on: February 04, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »

Like I started HK and got through 2 areas and then shelved it for almost two months. Then I picked it up and got a few more abilities and it clicked.

Did you get to City of Tears? I feel like with Dark Souls 1 and Anor Londo thatís where it starts to pick up.
But how much further?  A game should click with about 5-6 hours of playtime, no?   :doge  I made it past the first hornet fight.  Is there an actual story to this game?  Cuz if there is, I never saw it.  As far as I could tell, you're just a bug with a nail for a sword...  with occasional other bugs saying random things that don't provide any incentive to venture further. 
 :yeshrug

HardcoreRetro

• DIGITAL MAN
« Reply #34227 on: February 04, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
Onimusha Warlords.

Yep, it's still good.

naff

• god is dead. satan lives. the year is 1.
« Reply #34228 on: February 04, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »

But how much further?  A game should click with about 5-6 hours of playtime, no?   :doge  I made it past the first hornet fight.  Is there an actual story to this game?  Cuz if there is, I never saw it.  As far as I could tell, you're just a bug with a nail for a sword...  with occasional other bugs saying random things that don't provide any incentive to venture further. 

Nah, 30 hours then it really opens up!

HK was my first Switch purchase. Was flipping between that and Shovel Knight: TT. I dug the feel of HK, but I then started BotW and got lost in that. Monster Boy also looks great!

Funny I've had BotW on Wii U for ages (friend gave me all his old review copies of Wii U stuff when Switch came out) and just didn't get around to playing it, I found the intro pretty dull and didn't have the urge to play despite knowing it was such a universally acclaimed S tier experience etc. Now, yeah, I get it. I definitely find the shrines more of a chore than I'd like tho, especially the atrocious motion control puzzles. So bad. Wish there were a few proper dungeons. And I would prefer if there was some way, even if prohibitively difficult / expensive, to repair weapons you really liked (haven't tried the Octorok trick yet), but I generally dig that design decision to stop you getting too attached to OP equipment and find more creative & efficient ways to clear groups of enemies instead of just running in and going face. Small issues compared to how much I dig everything else though, sp much love put into simply exploring. There's always a fun sidequest, fascinating area or a random event popping up to give me something else to do. The first *mindblown* moment was diverting en route to Kokoriko after the first stable, exploring, jetting past enemies and activating towers with the base 3 hearts and an extra stamina portion. Ended up flying into Gerudo desert, escaped after exporing a bit and getting heat stroke, then some merfolk bish hailed me to go see Prince Sidon, so i gave that a crack and got through Van Ruta before heading back to see Impa. Went through the story in a more linear fashion after that, but it hasn't let me down yet.
(_,_)

Bebpo

« Reply #34229 on: February 04, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm, do you like Dark Souls stories?

Like I'd say Hollow Knight has more story than any other metroidvania I can think of. But the story is told in the same way the Soulsborne games are, you have to piece it together from dialogues, item descriptions, environment story telling. I don't think the story is as good as any of the Soulsborne games, but it's solid and I like the way it's told. These games are about dead doomed kingdoms and the mystery is piecing together the story of what happened to these kingdoms and how they fell and all the characters that lived in them and their stories. They're depressingly delicious.

Gameplay-wise the magic system is pretty much on par with any of the Igavania's and you get a good amount of combat/movement abilities. Lots of really good boss fights that are like Igavania x DMC3. World map is pretty incredible as you start to see how it all fits together. It's probably the largest map in any metroidvania game made.

But yeah, I can see it not being for everyone. You should be at City of Tears by 5-8 hours in (and it's a 20-30 hour game) and if you're not interested by the time you beat like Soul Sanctum or so it's probably not for you.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34230 on: February 04, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »
Will there be a physical of HK? I saw the limited edition at Best Buy but it seemed like it only had a download code.
HOUSE

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34231 on: February 04, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
Will there be a physical of HK? I saw the limited edition at Best Buy but it seemed like it only had a download code.

Seems like no. There was supposed to be a physical release but it was cancelled.
©@©ô

Svejk

« Reply #34232 on: February 04, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm, do you like Dark Souls stories?

Like I'd say Hollow Knight has more story than any other metroidvania I can think of. But the story is told in the same way the Soulsborne games are, you have to piece it together from dialogues, item descriptions, environment story telling. I don't think the story is as good as any of the Soulsborne games, but it's solid and I like the way it's told. These games are about dead doomed kingdoms and the mystery is piecing together the story of what happened to these kingdoms and how they fell and all the characters that lived in them and their stories. They're depressingly delicious.

Gameplay-wise the magic system is pretty much on par with any of the Igavania's and you get a good amount of combat/movement abilities. Lots of really good boss fights that are like Igavania x DMC3. World map is pretty incredible as you start to see how it all fits together. It's probably the largest map in any metroidvania game made.

But yeah, I can see it not being for everyone. You should be at City of Tears by 5-8 hours in (and it's a 20-30 hour game) and if you're not interested by the time you beat like Soul Sanctum or so it's probably not for you.
See.. worded like that (almost like the back of gamebox), makes it seem more inviting...  I simply jumped in by word of mouth/hype.  Peeps saying it's as good as SotN, that's a pretty bold statement.  Setting my expectations that high, jumping in, it seemed to fall short off the bat, but I'm still willing to give it more a try at a later time. 
As for the Soulsborne stories, I've only played through about half of DS2 and a quarter of DS3, so I can't really comment on that.  The stress/anger I get from those games when losing 2 hours worth of souls collecting makes me constantly question if those games are worth my time... Guess that's a different story.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34233 on: February 04, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »
Onimusha Warlords.

Yep, it's still good.

Hoping they do a remaster 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #34234 on: February 04, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »
The stress/anger I get from those games when losing 2 hours worth of souls collecting makes me constantly question if those games are worth my time... Guess that's a different story.

I'm not particularly great at videogames (would classify myself as average) and I got through HK without losing any souls once. Then again I've probably only lost souls a few times in the Soulsborne games. Generally it's more just about playing carefully than skills.

Also HK has a cheat where you can instantly call your shade up to the town and whack them to get your souls back in exchange for a rancid egg which you get tons of. I used it like once but it's helpful if you die in a tough spot.

Onimusha Warlords.

Yep, it's still good.

Hoping they do a remaster 2.

I'm not buying an Onimusha ports until they port #4. Best gameplay of the series easy (not counting busted US version where they buffed every enemy HP to make it a grind), though #2 has the coolest lead.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34235 on: February 04, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
Was the US version of DoD changed? No wonder it was a terrible game.

Actually it would still be crap with original health. 2 > DOD
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34236 on: February 04, 2019, 09:52:07 PM »
Yeah, they fucked 4 hard in the US. Was after they were fucking around with DMC3 and on a mission to appeal to HARDCORE WESTERNERS  :rash

Bebpo

« Reply #34237 on: February 04, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »
Also, yeah I'd probably go 2 > 4 > 1 > 3 myself. Still liked 3 just for the Reno, but 3's pretty weak game sadly.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34238 on: February 04, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
Onimusha tactics > DOD
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34239 on: February 04, 2019, 11:34:57 PM »
Eh, I can't hate on tactics games. Too bad it's essentially a dead genre in the modern era.

I'm actually surprised how few indie srpgs there are. There's a few here and there but like there's 100s of indie jrpgs like earthbound or ffvi but comparatively almost no indie rpgs like Tactics Ogre/FFT or Front Mission or Wild Arms XF or whatever. There's definitely an audience there, I wonder if they're just tough games to make from a design perspective? I'd play the shit out of a 15-20 hour indie TO ripoff.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34240 on: February 04, 2019, 11:40:07 PM »
4 is good?! What?!

Bebpo

« Reply #34241 on: February 05, 2019, 12:15:09 AM »
Itís kinda ugly, but JP version has great gameplay.

porkbun

« Reply #34242 on: February 05, 2019, 08:40:09 AM »
Picked up Battlefront II for $5 and played a bit of the single player stuff.  It's fun but it makes my PS4 sound like a jet engine.  Also got the Wipeout Omega Collection in the same PSN sale for $5.  It's Wipeout, it's good.

Been going through GTAIII on a tablet during my commute.  Still one of the GOAT open world games IMO.

Svejk

« Reply #34243 on: February 05, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
Felt so damn good to delete Battlefront II off my PS4.  :aah  Played through the decent campaign, kids and I hated the multiplayer, no reason it should continue to take up 1/10 of my HDD.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34244 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:32 AM »
HOLY FUCK CUPHEAD WAS MADE FOR ME IN MIND

GAME OF THE GENERATION

MMaRsu

« Reply #34245 on: February 06, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »
I am playing Apex Legends

My new favorite Battle Royale game

Finally I can say goodbye to PUBG  :lawd

Nintex

• <(^_^)>
« Reply #34246 on: February 06, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
Too bad it doesn't work on your Phenom.
dutch

MMaRsu

« Reply #34247 on: February 06, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
yeah gonna have to upgrade soon

two wins on xbox tho

The Sceneman

• I need to get huge, I need to stay huge.
« Reply #34248 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »
Beat the main game in Celeste last night.

Wow! One of the best vidya game stories ever. Will defo stay with me. It dealt with mature concepts in a layered, nuanced, and most importantly, non-tacky way. Game journos were actually right with this one.

Thematic spoilers:

As someone who has battled with depression most of their life, this game really nailed some great concepts of mindfulness. The core metaphor of climbing a mountain is simple enough for kids to understand, yet theres a lot more to it than that. I loved the story of the "other part" of Madeline. The message that this other, dark part of you can exist, and it can be ok - you can be aware of it, and work with it, learn from it, and because of it you can achieve greater things. I don't think I'd be as driven to succeed as I am now if I didn't endure my all of my hardships and self-doubt. Man I'm tearing up while I'm typing this, lol. But yeah, Celeste has actually helped me frame certain aspects of my life in a new way, which is amazing.

The Sceneman

• I need to get huge, I need to stay huge.
« Reply #34249 on: February 06, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »

GAME OF THE GENERATION

I need to buy this game

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34250 on: February 06, 2019, 09:39:37 PM »
Bought it a while ago and wanted to try it yesterday and it's great. Got 25% through the game in a sitting! Didn't take long to do either but it's all so great.

Bebpo

« Reply #34251 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:57 AM »
Beat the main game in Celeste last night.

Wow! One of the best vidya game stories ever. Will defo stay with me. It dealt with mature concepts in a layered, nuanced, and most importantly, non-tacky way. Game journos were actually right with this one.

Thematic spoilers:

As someone who has battled with depression most of their life, this game really nailed some great concepts of mindfulness. The core metaphor of climbing a mountain is simple enough for kids to understand, yet theres a lot more to it than that. I loved the story of the "other part" of Madeline. The message that this other, dark part of you can exist, and it can be ok - you can be aware of it, and work with it, learn from it, and because of it you can achieve greater things. I don't think I'd be as driven to succeed as I am now if I didn't endure my all of my hardships and self-doubt. Man I'm tearing up while I'm typing this, lol. But yeah, Celeste has actually helped me frame certain aspects of my life in a new way, which is amazing.

That's awesome about your spoiler bit. Yeah I really liked the story side even if it was short.

Did you mess with the b-sides?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34252 on: February 07, 2019, 07:18:30 AM »
Story mode in Fate/Extella Link is done.  I did two of the extra battle stages during my first play through, so I'd say it probably took around 12 hours total not counting those to go through all 27 stages, and the third route's boss fight was a little longer with a better ending.  Now onto the extra battle mode which appears to be just as long!  Seeing level recommendations for some of the latter stages at 100+, holy shit.  Am currently at around level 44 so maybe it won't be a grind.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:47:23 AM by bork »
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• DIGITAL MAN
« Reply #34253 on: February 07, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
Bought it a while ago and wanted to try it yesterday and it's great. Got 25% through the game in a sitting! Didn't take long to do either but it's all so great.

People compare it to Contra, but it's actually a modern Treasure game. Straight up boss rush game. Even got parrying like Alien Soldier.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34254 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:26 AM »

People compare it to Contra, but it's actually a modern Treasure game. Straight up boss rush game. Even got parrying like Alien Soldier.

Pretty much. One stage is pretty much seven force.

porkbun

« Reply #34255 on: February 07, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »

GAME OF THE GENERATION

B b b b but it's based on an animation style that could be accused in modern times of depicting racist stereotypes, even when taking into account who was drawing the characters, their attitudes towards minorities, and the prevailing attitude of the studio that released it and the audience that watched it!!!!

:brazilcry

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34256 on: February 07, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
I havenít seen anything racist in cuphead. Do they think the devil is racist or are they really thinking itís racist because of the art style? Are they stupid?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34257 on: February 07, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
Been playing Tokyo Xanadu ex+, and it's even more of a Persona game than Trails of Cold Steel. Not that I'm complaining. It doesn't have the narrative depth of Cold Steel or the impressive production values of Persona, but I actually like that about it. Makes for a bit more laid back experience, no sprawling geopolitical storyline to follow and no worrying over min/maxing what I'm doing at any given time.
dog

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34258 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
>revive Xanadu
>shit on it

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34259 on: February 07, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
It's a good game. :yeshrug
dog