Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558782 times)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34200 on: January 23, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Played through the beginning part of vampyr last night. This game is pretty hype honestly.

It’s pretty darn good breh. Beating it without feeding on anyone :lawd
Margs

kingv

« Reply #34201 on: January 23, 2020, 04:06:15 PM »
Too late for that
 :stahp

I’m gonna go bore mode and suck every man dry.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34202 on: January 23, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »
Too late for that
 :stahp

I’m gonna go bore mode and suck every man dry.

:mouf
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34203 on: January 24, 2020, 08:11:46 AM »
What are some needed Skyrim mods?

Cause the inventory management, spells assignment, map, skills explanation and progress suck.

Also what are some recommended GFX overhauls?

What

Svejk

« Reply #34204 on: January 24, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »
SkyUI
Realistic lighting Overhaul
Realistic Ragdoll and Force
RaceMenu
Skyrim HD - 2K (There's probably better ones now)
Static Mesh Improvement
Sounds of Skyrim
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (if that's the version played)
VioLens (Killmove mod)
Visible Windows
100x Your Carry Weight  :D
A Quality World Map
ApachiiSkyHair
Belt Fastened Quivers
Better Bows
Beyond Skyrim - Bruma
CBBE (for female characters)
Climates of Tamriel
Cloaks of Skyrim
Corners of Skyrim
Enhanced Blood Textures
Enhanced Character Edit
Enhanced Lights and Fx
Fores New Idles
Helmet toggle
Immersive Armors
Pretty Combat Animations

To name a few I felt to be essential

I haven't personally used Vortex, but my time with Nexus MM had been great.  Heard shitty things about Vortex to not even bother with it.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #34205 on: January 24, 2020, 10:55:50 AM »
Too much of a dirty poor to buy Monster Hunter World: Icebourne so instead of continuing my progress on PS4 i'm currently going through the PC version of the base game i had bought some time ago.

Now i need to toss a zenni to my Witcher since he just appeared in the world  :lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:15:22 AM by Purple Filth »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34206 on: January 24, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
Sweaty skin texture mods :lawd
©@©™

Freyj

« Reply #34207 on: January 24, 2020, 02:33:45 PM »
What are some needed Skyrim mods?

Cause the inventory management, spells assignment, map, skills explanation and progress suck.

Also what are some recommended GFX overhauls?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Start there. And yes it’s mildly a pain in the ass if you don’t have SE just because that’s where most of the dev is happening at. This is a deep rabbit hole depending on how much or how little anime waifu you prefer in your Skyrim. Also some of the ENB stuff is insanely expensive to run so YMMV.

I really enjoyed the Ordinator perks overhaul fwiw. Went through this all last December and that stood out.

Freyj

« Reply #34208 on: January 24, 2020, 02:38:04 PM »
Also lol wtf someone made a Sekiro combat mod. I’d check that out if it wouldn’t be a lost weekend modding out Skyrim again.

Most of those complete combat overhauls miss the mark but there’s some fun shit around like turning the H2H into suplexes and other wrestling moves.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34209 on: January 25, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
Replaying Contra 4. Back in the day I finished all of those crazy challenge missions, but I never played through the whole campaign. I remember why, shit is hard :fbm Though mostly because of how long it goes compared to other Contra titles. They should've cut some things like the 3D stages or reduced boss HP, because 45 minutes for a good run is too long - particularly if you have to repeat it a dozen times to get it down.

BIONIC

« Reply #34210 on: January 26, 2020, 01:32:16 AM »
I’m 100 hours deep into Witcher 3, and I’m not even half done with Skellige yet :foxx

Loving it though :aah
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34211 on: January 26, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
I’m 100 hours deep into Witcher 3, and I’m not even half done with Skellige yet :foxx

It's a pretty repetitive and copy pasted game tho

:doge
What

Freyj

« Reply #34212 on: January 26, 2020, 12:32:48 PM »
Trails in the Sky the 3rd: Christ some of these door side stories are so long. Don’t like the way the narrative being all doors based throws off the pacing.

BIONIC

« Reply #34213 on: January 26, 2020, 01:31:48 PM »

It's a pretty repetitive and copy pasted game tho

:doge

:piss raist :piss2
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #34214 on: January 26, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
Trails in the Sky the 3rd: Christ some of these door side stories are so long. Don’t like the way the narrative being all doors based throws off the pacing.

It does, and some doors are less good than others, and some are good but go on way too long (Chloe school arc), but when you're done you'll appreciate all the different world building you got in addition to the main story tale.

Fwiw, the next game coming out in 2020 sounds like it's gonna be the same structure as 3rd with doors and all. Probably have the same pacing issues, but the Trails series has always had pacing issues anyhow. The only game without pacing issues is the back half of Ao/Azure and it's why its considered generally the high point of the series.

Bebpo

« Reply #34215 on: January 26, 2020, 07:28:33 PM »
finished Cthulhu saves Christmas

The writing was good and funny throughout although the game feels like a stand up comedian in depression taking potshots at itself way too much. The music, though few in tracks, is great synth. The gameplay though...I thought it got worse as it went along and enemies got stronger and more HP and your movelists and power generally didn't increase along with them. I thought a lot of moves were pretty useless, there's a lot of rng, normal enemy fights take too long on anything above easy and boss fights were fun on normal but felt cheap on hard. The balance in general just felt pretty out of whack (you get a non-rng party heal spell in like...the last dungeon and I got the very first revive spell upon beating the final boss -_-).

I want to recommend it, but I don't think the gameplay is good enough to play over other rpgs. I mean it's nice that it's short at like 5-6 hours and funny, but the battles and really boring simple dungeon design bring it down a ton.

I'll still give Cosmic Star Heroine a shot at some point, since it's a larger effort title by this dev team of like 3 people, but if they can't nail the gameplay balance here I'm not expecting the gameplay balance in that one to be much better.

Fwiw, I thought the final boss fight on normal had pretty good balance. But it's a multi-enemy fight and as you clear each enemy the fight gets easier to the point when only the final boss is left it's a joke and there's no threat. Shouldn't final boss fights be the opposite and get harder as the fight progresses? Balance is just odd.

Coax

« Reply #34216 on: January 27, 2020, 01:18:29 AM »
Ghost of a Tale. Had it installed for like a year or more but wasn't in the mood for it until now. Interestingly has various outfit sets one can acquire in different pieces and has Souls-looking regenerating stamina bar for the playable character (more to balance sprinting after guard alerts that anything combat related).

Trying to find some combination of FoV tweaks, aspect ratio and... something that will help with the nauseated feeling I get playing it. Bumping down a number of settings gets me to 55-60fps but I'm still getting that feeling. Game is otherwise okay so far but that aspect is putting a dampener on the experience.

bluemax

« Reply #34217 on: January 27, 2020, 01:19:33 AM »

The writing was good and funny throughout although the game feels like a stand up comedian in depression taking potshots at itself way too much. The music, though few in tracks, is great synth. The gameplay though...I thought it got worse as it went along and enemies got stronger and more HP and your movelists and power generally didn't increase along with them. I thought a lot of moves were pretty useless, there's a lot of rng, normal enemy fights take too long on anything above easy and boss fights were fun on normal but felt cheap on hard. The balance in general just felt pretty out of whack (you get a non-rng party heal spell in like...the last dungeon and I got the very first revive spell upon beating the final boss -_-).

I want to recommend it, but I don't think the gameplay is good enough to play over other rpgs. I mean it's nice that it's short at like 5-6 hours and funny, but the battles and really boring simple dungeon design bring it down a ton.

I'll still give Cosmic Star Heroine a shot at some point, since it's a larger effort title by this dev team of like 3 people, but if they can't nail the gameplay balance here I'm not expecting the gameplay balance in that one to be much better.

Fwiw, I thought the final boss fight on normal had pretty good balance. But it's a multi-enemy fight and as you clear each enemy the fight gets easier to the point when only the final boss is left it's a joke and there's no threat. Shouldn't final boss fights be the opposite and get harder as the fight progresses? Balance is just odd.

(Image removed from quote.)

FWIW I didn't get very far in CSH because I felt like regular fights took just way too long. I think I've had this issue with every one of their games (never played the Penny Arcade one), like all the pieces are there, but the balance just never quite feels right. I want to love Zeboyd games more than I do because they are doing the thing I wish I was doing.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #34218 on: January 27, 2020, 02:09:32 AM »

FWIW I didn't get very far in CSH because I felt like regular fights took just way too long. I think I've had this issue with every one of their games (never played the Penny Arcade one), like all the pieces are there, but the balance just never quite feels right. I want to love Zeboyd games more than I do because they are doing the thing I wish I was doing.

That's too bad. Yeah I think the balance and long battles just stop being fun after a few dungeons. I feel like they design it this way to pad the game length tbh.

Coax

« Reply #34219 on: January 27, 2020, 11:33:01 PM »
Trying to find some combination of FoV tweaks, aspect ratio and... something that will help with the nauseated feeling I get playing it.

This might be the first game in like a decade to give me this intense reaction after not that long playing. Knocks me out ??? Managed to tweak it to where ~30m sessions are probably doable.

Impressions so far apart from that (in the first set of areas).

- Premise and animal characters.
- RPG-like inventory system where you can browse, equip and use through things you've collected such as food, clothing, quest items.
- Various cute collectible outfits, some required for quests and affect movement speed for example.
- Decent variety of video and general game settings, including native ultrawide support.
- Dualshock 4 prompts option (however it changes the default good mapping of the Xbox controls, though the buttons can be remapped again).

Dislikes:

- While being decent looking visually the lighting can be hard to make out when it turns night or in darker areas. You have perishable candles but they're mostly intended for areas entirely lacking light (presumably enemies, too) and I feel the environments in general could have benefited from better thought-out environmental lighting.

- Level design isn't particularly intuitive and I frequently find myself accidentally returning to spots due to this. The rudimentary map only helps somewhat.

- In several scenarios throwing a bottle at enemies from behind does nothing but break the bottle despite showing the correct prompt. Since one has to scout around for more bottles (unsure if they respawn) it's annoying when inconsistent quirks like this occur.

So-so:

- Not a bad variety of dialog (tips, some bard related like songs, little bits of backstory) but not amazing either.
- For some reason the game sticks the version number faintly in the bottom right as if it's some early access version (I bought it after its official release).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34220 on: January 27, 2020, 11:51:17 PM »
Might as well play this Astral Chain that I've had since it came out.

bluemax

« Reply #34221 on: January 28, 2020, 12:08:20 AM »
Booted up Octopath Traveler this weekend. The systems in this game are still good, but battles feel like they take too long and I feel like all my characters except the one I can't swap out are way under leveled. I'm at like 45 hours and have only done 1/4 of the third chapters
NO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34222 on: January 28, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »
it doesn't get better, bail
fat

Freyj

« Reply #34223 on: January 28, 2020, 11:00:13 AM »
Octopath was another Emperor’s New Clothes for me. Don’t get the praise beyond it being a neat aesthetic.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34224 on: January 28, 2020, 07:44:42 PM »
For me the problem with Octopath is that it does itself no favor with its structure. Which doesn’t hide how repetitive it is. I mean all games are repetitive, but like in Persona 5 the point is to create a routine in how you will tackle your activities or something like Astral Chain makes the episodic feel more natural through maybe the narrative or whatever. In Octo it made me feel more disconnected and and a bit more route.

I only made it 10 hours in and do plan to go back though.

bluemax

« Reply #34225 on: January 29, 2020, 12:24:46 AM »
Right, most JRPGs don't have that much variation and the way they break it up is with the town->world map->dungeon->story flow. But since there is only travel between towns when going to a town for the first time, and all the dungeons have identical length and general structure it all just blends together.

One thing a lot of good JRPGs have are what I call connecting dungeons, ie they aren't just caves or temples in a corner that you walk to, go to the bottom of and then warp out, but rather things like caves through mountains, or just mountains you climb over. I feel like good RPGs have these, and they're shorter than standard dungeons, with weaker bosses (or no boss), but a bit more challenging than simply walking across the world map.

I don't expect Octopath to get better, I'm just kind of going back through games I stopped playing last year because of work and seeing which ones I want to finish and which ones I'm okay with re-shelving.
NO

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34226 on: January 29, 2020, 06:56:32 AM »
I started playing XCOM 2 WOTC again, made a squad with CJ from GTA, Sam Fisher, Agent 47, Garak from DS9, Rex Colt from Far Cry Blood Dragon, Riddick from Pitch Black etc  and have a lot more voices to create soldiers with

shit is pretty awesome, especially CJ
What

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34227 on: January 29, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »
Finally finished DQ XI It's Dragon Quest. You either love that or hate that.

Finished Katana Zero Loved it. Need the expansions.

Finished King of Cards- Very charming. But definitely not everyone's cut of tea. My kids are massive Shovel Knight fans and when they saw this was more of a precision platformer they just sorta gave it up for other things. I had fun with it. That being said, it totally is an expansion. If this was a total game in of itself I'd feel somewhat ripped off. The card game was ok, but it lacked the simple cleverness of something like triple triad or something like that.

Finished Gris - Essentially it's this gen's Journey. But with better art, and some actual gameplay. It's more a game that you play for the lesson than the game itself. If you like that kind of game then you'll love this. If you just want very good gameplay then I'd look elsewhere

In the middle of Celeste After finishing King of cards I figured if I was going to do a precision platformer I'd do an actual one. I love and hate this game. I'm on stage 4. I've died over 500 times in that space. It doesn't beat you over the head with it's much lauded symbolism. But it's there if you like that kind of thing.

Currently watching my kid take on Sekiro He just fought that huge headless monkey. I started Sekiro when it came out and thought I'd go back to it. After seeing him go through all those generals and all the stuff he's had to do, I'm not sure I'm actually up for that challenge. I'll say this, I thought that Bloodbourne had the most exciting boss fights. I believe Sekiro's got that beat. That being said, it seems just beyond my grasp. I could get the abilities eventually to git gud, but I could use that time playing something else from my massive backlog
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34228 on: January 29, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »
Finished A Plague Tale: Innocence.
- Best rat physics 2019
- Beautiful game. (I need to start taking screenshots as I play. It even has a photo mode, but I never touched it. :I)
- Varied challenges. Stealth heavy, but forgiving. Was never bored and only rarely annoyed (moving the braziers in the castle got old fast).
- The rat apocalypse is seriously over the top stupid, but it worked for me.
- Crafting was superfluous. All but the sling upgrades just aren't interesting or useful enough. Resource management for ammo types is not required either, since you will always find the required materials nearby should the game require a certain type for an upcoming challenge. It's just one of those boxes you have to tick, I guess.
- Boss fights were 'eh', but the final boss was comical, in a good way.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Giant rat pillars crashing down on you as the deranged old man crowns himself the pinnacle of all creation? Yeah, sure!
[close]
- Amicia never washes that blood off her nose. Or the scab? Or is it a really strange, scarlet red scar? Either way, it stood out to me after several time-skips.
- I played with French audio, for added flavour. Had a hard time keeping up with the subtitles during incidental dialogue, but it was a great choice overall.
- Hugo is obviously not voiced by a child (in French, anyway), but the woman who plays him did a great job. Luca was played by a woman also. Would never have guessed. :leon
- Finally, chromatic aberration. Fucking stop with that shit. :yuck Thankfully there's a toggle in the options. By default ('normal') it's constant and covers the whole frame. Why make everything look fuzzy just to simluate an undesireable artifact of camera lenses? I don't get it.

I also finished PSP perspective puzzler CRUSH. Not much to say, besides that it is good. I was captivated enough to go for 100% clears of every level, but not enough to do any of the bonus levels unlocked by that. They're tightly timed and while the controls in this are fit for purpose, they're not smooth enough to play under duress.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:07:12 PM by Rufus »

Bebpo

« Reply #34229 on: January 29, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »
Still playing RDR2 and enjoying it as an outlaw life sim. Usually if I play for an hour or two I'll get about 2 "missions" done in a session. Missions can sometimes just be like a bounty mission, a fishing mission, hunting a legendary animal I stumble across, so still making slow progress through ch.3's story missions. I like exploring and finding sites to add to the journal and I've found a good amount of the collectible cards just exploring any place that looked interesting. I play it like a sim and try to eat a few times a day and feed and clean my horse and get some sleep each night. Generally having fun.

But tonight I loaded up with my horse next to me and then started a bounty type mission on a train and when I got off the train I whistled for my horse and it told me my horse was dead  :maf
Mostly just sucks because it had better base stats than these generic ones and I don't have a lot of money so I can't buy some fast one from Valentine. Will just have to live with a average stat horse for now.

Fifstar

« Reply #34230 on: January 30, 2020, 04:13:01 AM »

Serious question, how have you time to finish that game? I liked it enough, but at 25 hours I just felt I could to play so many other games/do other things in the 100+ hours it apparently takes to finish it.
Gulp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34231 on: January 30, 2020, 04:37:22 AM »
@Bepbo you can find some really good horses and break em in, no need to buy them
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34232 on: January 30, 2020, 04:40:41 AM »
Found Epstein's sex dungeon in AC Odyssey or was it Depardieu? Sure looked like him before I slit his throat.
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34233 on: January 30, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »

Serious question, how have you time to finish that game? I liked it enough, but at 25 hours I just felt I could to play so many other games/do other things in the 100+ hours it apparently takes to finish it.
It took me almost  a year from when I started it to finish it. Just put in a hour or so here or there.
que

archnemesis

« Reply #34234 on: January 30, 2020, 10:12:08 AM »
I finished the Switch version in 70 hours over maybe 3 months. Portable mode makes long RPGs much more accessible.

Chooky

« Reply #34235 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
there's no urgency in DQ games, which i love. makes it easy to play an episode or two, then put down the game for a while until i feel like coming back. they're so well-desinged that there isn't really a "derusting" period where i have to learn how to play again.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34236 on: January 30, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
Since Rondo of Blood changed my opinion on classic Castlevania a couple of years back, I'm returning to this series every now and then. I played a few hours of CV1 and don't know why I remember it to be clunky, it's very good.  :doge I didn't like the static jump back in the day, but now I don't mind at all. I usually prefer faster paced games and in the past I disliked the slower nature of the classic games, but now it feels right. Even in the first game there's just something about whipping monsters with a rocking OST. :lawd
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:12:34 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #34237 on: January 30, 2020, 07:34:25 PM »
@Bepbo you can find some really good horses and break em in, no need to buy them

Hmmm, how do you get a horse? Lasso it? It's been a while since the tutorial. Also are there any good horses in the south?

One thing I don't like about RDR2 is to fish the legendary fish you just use the same bait which you have to buy from a spot near Lagrass. I tried fishing for a couple of them before getting there and no luck.
Meanwhile with legendary animals you can just use any gun you have on you, and damage doesn't even matter, so you just track and bit and fight. Much, much easier.

OH, and I just learned last night, 30+ hours in, how to RETRY A MISSION FROM CHECKPOINT/ABANDON MISSION. You pull out your list of tasks with left d-pad and then select the mission and hit abandon. Man, this would have helped a couple times. They really should've let you abandon/retry just from the start screen like every.other.game.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34238 on: January 30, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
atmospheric indie game recs? Something I can relax to after a hard day of living my hellish existence. I like exploring.
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34239 on: January 30, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
atmospheric indie game recs? Something I can relax to after a hard day of living my hellish existence. I like exploring.

dog

Bebpo

« Reply #34240 on: January 31, 2020, 02:29:06 AM »
Caught a big fish in RDR2. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do with besides put it on your horse and admire it, sell it for a few bucks or donate it. Also ran across a chance encounter of a prison escapee looking for me to shoot off his handcuffs. Instead hogtied him and left him for the sheriff lol I like when the game is more rpg and let's you do whatever.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34241 on: January 31, 2020, 02:51:33 AM »

Hmmm, how do you get a horse? Lasso it? It's been a while since the tutorial. Also are there any good horses in the south?

One thing I don't like about RDR2 is to fish the legendary fish you just use the same bait which you have to buy from a spot near Lagrass. I tried fishing for a couple of them before getting there and no luck.
Meanwhile with legendary animals you can just use any gun you have on you, and damage doesn't even matter, so you just track and bit and fight. Much, much easier.

OH, and I just learned last night, 30+ hours in, how to RETRY A MISSION FROM CHECKPOINT/ABANDON MISSION. You pull out your list of tasks with left d-pad and then select the mission and hit abandon. Man, this would have helped a couple times. They really should've let you abandon/retry just from the start screen like every.other.game.

Yes you walk slowly towards a horse ( or from your current horse ) and use the lasso on him/her. You'll have to break her in and I think you can stable a few horses so you can try different ones. There are a few horses that are much better than the rest, but personally im not sure which ones. I know there is an albino white horse in the snowy part of the mountain where you first start, on some frozen lake, which has great stats. Im currently using that one.

I think you will also obtain a lure specifically to catch legendary fish, but im not sure..  I should continue my playthrough but really want to upgrade my 1060 3gb to a rx 5600 xt..

Caught a big fish in RDR2. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do with besides put it on your horse and admire it, sell it for a few bucks or donate it. Also ran across a chance encounter of a prison escapee looking for me to shoot off his handcuffs. Instead hogtied him and left him for the sheriff lol I like when the game is more rpg and let's you do whatever.

Big scales (scales), fishscale, big weight (fish)  :leon
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:55:36 AM by MMaRsu »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34242 on: January 31, 2020, 02:52:20 AM »

I know Rumbler recommended My Time at Portia, but I found Stardew Valley a much more relaxing sim. Top down view, no camera interaction so that is a little bit more relaxed imo.

What

Coax

« Reply #34243 on: January 31, 2020, 03:17:19 AM »
Managed to find a Reshade config that alleviates significantly the sick feeling I got while playing Ghost of a Tale earlier. Need to tweak it a bit to reduce the posterization effect of dark boosted areas but the auto brightness and quasi-sharpening effect (it's a sharpening that only applies dark not light edge contrast) has really helped so I don't mind some image quality sacrifice.

Third spoiler tagged pic is how ridiculously dark some areas can be at night without a light in the vanilla game, which I'm sure added to the original eye strain. Kind of a fetch quest-y game but quests seem to be becoming more interesting. Travel on foot with the slow as molasses full metal incognito armor is the main thing consuming time though, unfortunately.

pure darkness
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34244 on: January 31, 2020, 05:09:11 AM »
What else are you going to do with a fish?  :wtf
There's a fishing quest later on in the game, tho.

Bebpo

« Reply #34245 on: January 31, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
What else are you going to do with a fish?  :wtf
There's a fishing quest later on in the game, tho.

Well since it went on the back of your horse and you had to lug it around I thought you'd get something special out of it. Like maybe some crafting item like animals give.
You can't even eat it! Doesn't show up on your campfire menu. I googled and it confirmed all you could do with it is sell it (was worth like $4) or donate it.

Big scales (scales), fishscale, big weight (fish)  :leon

There's no way to carve it for materials though?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34246 on: February 01, 2020, 04:54:13 PM »
Been playing a lot of Dark Souls lately, pwned the Bed of Chaos.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Started up Demon Souls too.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:09:12 PM by D3RANG3D »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34247 on: February 01, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »
Played AC Odyssey.

Brought a 'cyclops' looking for a friend together with a lonesome fisherman in between killing cultists.  :heart

LVL 40 now, moving towards the end of the main Odyssey but still so much to do 100+ hours in  :gladbron
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #34248 on: February 02, 2020, 03:11:17 AM »
After xmas and new years Ive been pretty busy but things are settling down a bit o Ive got some more time for vidya.

Been playing (and ruining my achievement completion % ratio) the following off GamePass:

Doom 2016 - just beat this recently with all collectibles and challenges complete. Great game which really grew on me, and I'm looking forward to Doom Eternal.

Goose Game - finished the main 'quest', still gotta go back and do the rest of the bonus objectives. Nice game which doesnt overstay its welcome as someone else said.

Human Fall Flat - not really my kinda game. I get that the joke is youre wrangling a weird physics engine but it just isnt fun. Im up to the water level and i think the sailboat/raft BS has made me give up. I also gave up on Outer Worlds because its just a really shit game. How its getting GotY awards is beyond me.

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night - got 100% map now just grinding out the item collection. Its boring so I'm picking away at it slowly.

Enter the Gungeon - I generally do a couple of runs when I boot up my box then play something else. Really fun game but I suck at it. Need to watch a few tutorial clips to learn the secrets and stuff. Furthest Ive gotten is level 4.

Just Cause 4 - I didn't play JC3, but this doesn't seem as good as JC2? Im not really sure what I'm meant to be doing, theres tons of objectives on the map and I'm kinda just doing stuff. The game didn't really explain its progression systems very well. I miss completing locations by destroying all the infrastructure - it looks like this is back to extent but its more of an XP gauge of sorts? I dunno. The game looks good and its fun enough though. The novelty physics gimmick toys are pretty cool.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34249 on: February 02, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
Senua's Sacrifice
Not as intensely dark as I had imagined. Not in a way that would drag my seasonally affected ass down, anyway. Just killed Valravn, going for Surtr next.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #34250 on: February 02, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »
The asmr female voices gave me a boner.

Svejk

« Reply #34251 on: February 02, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
Senua's Sacrifice
Not as intensely dark as I had imagined. Not in a way that would drag my seasonally affected ass down, anyway. Just killed Valravn, going for Surtr next.

It gets psychology darker the further you go I would say.  Listening about her past throughout gets more messed up too.  I really enjoyed that game... Headphones headphones headphones if not already.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34252 on: February 02, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »
I always use headphones when I play games. Don't even own speakers that are worth a damn.

Bebpo

« Reply #34253 on: February 02, 2020, 02:04:51 PM »
Just Cause 4 - I didn't play JC3, but this doesn't seem as good as JC2? Im not really sure what I'm meant to be doing, theres tons of objectives on the map and I'm kinda just doing stuff. The game didn't really explain its progression systems very well. I miss completing locations by destroying all the infrastructure - it looks like this is back to extent but its more of an XP gauge of sorts? I dunno. The game looks good and its fun enough though. The novelty physics gimmick toys are pretty cool.

I didn't play 4, but 3 was definitely less fun than 2. If your game is as repetitive as JC, maybe making a bigger and bigger map is gonna stop being a plus at some point.

The main issue with 3 was all your skills/gear were locked behind stupid mini-game activities for progression which made it very unfun to progress and get up to full wrecking ability speed. Instead of some race being a fun optional side activity to change things up it suddenly becomes a mandatory frustrating race. Bad design but I guess they figured no one was playing their side stuff so they forced it in.

Senua's Sacrifice

It gets psychology darker the further you go I would say.  Listening about her past throughout gets more messed up too.  I really enjoyed that game... Headphones headphones headphones if not already.

Yeah, I played the first hour or so of this with headphones and the sound design was the best part for sure.

Svejk

« Reply #34254 on: February 02, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
Jumped around with some VR last night.  Finally beat the last level of Super hot VR. Goddam that game is fun.  Also got into a good groove with Dirt Rally VR too.  Was tearing up the roads.  After a stiff drink, I was unstoppable.  :gamer.
Then jumped back to Sekiro and the monks were kicking my ass, so jumped to Ace Combat 7... Mission 10 was pissing me off... Gonna have to sortie a better load out... Escort missions suck ass.

Bebpo

« Reply #34255 on: February 02, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
So I'm trying to play RDR2 and the Rockstar server is down and I can't boot it :(  That always-online DRM future.

Anyhow, been getting a lot of the challenges done. In RDR1 I don't think I bothered much but in this I'm finding it fun to do a lot of them (saving all the bandit ones for endgame since I'm almost maxed honor and don't want to lose a bunch robbing people). I really do wish they weren't gated in order though. Like on the herbalist 10 challenges, I'm stuck at #2 because I need to pick 4 types of berries and even using dead eye everywhere and grabbing every plant, I've found like...1.

Best part of the game is still all the camp camaraderie. I can't believe the amount of unique interactions and dialogue lines of everyone in camp as the story/days progress. They must have written/animated/voiced 100s of these but it really brings the camps alive and makes everyone feel like real people. I also like some of Arthur's dialogue, he's got some good lines and delivery, especially when he's getting standoff-ish with Dutch as the story is progressing. Definitely starting to feel like a pretty amazing game.

I also really like hunting in this game. I've got no interest in hunting animals irl, but it's pretty satisfying getting a clean kill and taking the skin/carcass back to sell/craft. Fishing is ok, but every game has fishing and I wouldn't say this one is one of the best, but it definitely looks nice. I'm surprised the legendary animals/fish aren't super hard challenges like in other games but just like standard animals/fish that are a bit harder to find.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34256 on: February 03, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »
I finished Darksiders 3 over the weekend (Game Pass). I enjoyed it more than Jedi: Fallen Order and I think it does a better job at "emulating" the Souls experience than that game as well.

Darksiders 3 got a rough launch, but it did receive some patches that helped it tremendously, as well as giving you the option to play it like a "Zelda game" (like Darksiders 1 & 2) with Z-targeting.

Up to a certain point I started just googling for information and discovered that Darksiders 3 has probably the easiest "item dupe" glitch I've come across since Wild ARMs. It's so easy I don't see why you -wouldnt- do it.

It really is that easy

So with this glitch I went from Level 5 to Level 300 in less than 5 minutes, and life was good. Almost too good. Then I entered the Bonelands

It turns out due to them "fixing" some sort of soul farming exploit (which is negated with the item dupe glitch anyway?) the Bonelands has an enemy scaling issue where if you are higher than Level 50 at any point, the enemies become so strong they pretty much one shot you. So I had to start playing this as intended like a Dark Souls game, aggroing one enemy at a time, hoping I could 1v1 them (me, the level 300 walking deathgod). Thankfully the main boss of the area also has a cheese so I eventually beat the area and never had to go back to it. Sure enough, the following areas turned into piss easy difficulty again.

The only thing I can think of is that I somehow triggered some sort of "NG+++ mode" since you really aren't supposed to be that high level at that point, and was getting drops intended for a NG+ playthrough (armor upgrades, unavailable in NG and only accessible in NG+).

In any case, I beat it because I'm the best and I would still recommend a play, as intended or not. It's better than Lords of the Fallen, at least.

Also fun fact, this game can be completed in under 5 minutes and shows how broken this game is (the "end portal" is literally underneath the main area)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:21:58 AM by demi »
fat

Freyj

« Reply #34257 on: February 03, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »
Finished up Trails in the Sky the 3rd with all doors. A nice little epilogue and some good lore expansion in some of the doors (Renne’s door Jesus goddam Christ), but ultimately a lot of nonsense wrapped around a dungeon grind. Still better than some of the more laborious stretches of FC / SC though. Can’t understate how much the turbo options in the PC release improved my experience with SC/3rd over FC on the PSP.

Will jump into Zero once the geofront translation is out in a few weeks (hopefully). I’ve been playing the first Kiseki series for what feels like a decade so it’ll be nice to see progression in the series outside of just the ongoing story.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #34258 on: February 03, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »

I didn't play 4, but 3 was definitely less fun than 2. If your game is as repetitive as JC, maybe making a bigger and bigger map is gonna stop being a plus at some point.

The main issue with 3 was all your skills/gear were locked behind stupid mini-game activities for progression which made it very unfun to progress and get up to full wrecking ability speed. Instead of some race being a fun optional side activity to change things up it suddenly becomes a mandatory frustrating race. Bad design but I guess they figured no one was playing their side stuff so they forced it in.

I didn't really get into JC3 until I got the DLC.  Getting mechs and the jetpack makes a big difference in the game play and gives it that big over the top feel the base game is missing.

I agree on there being too much side stuff, but that's par for the course for most open world games now.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34259 on: February 03, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
RDR2 pc port is doing my head in. I continued playing all friday night, saturday too. Sunday when their servers had trouble I got an error ingame stating error gfx state or some shit like that.

It has to do with Vulkan but thats what Ive BEEN using this whole time and now it wont load with vulkan

argh this port
What