Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3663354 times)

Rman

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #840 on: August 07, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
Sonic 3: Just finished this on the VC.  Lovely game.  One of my favorites of the 16 era.

TWEWY: Picked this up on sale from Amazon.  Just started.  Very different from most DS JRPGs, but that's a good thing.

Dead Space: Started this recently.

Persona 3: Only in June.

Powerslave

« Reply #841 on: August 07, 2009, 07:46:13 PM »
I finished NFS Most Wanted. Boy was that last chase hard. I kept getting busted and couldn't figure out what to do so I consulted a faq. You had to evade as much as possible cops for 5 minutes before you get a phone call from Mia? Very weird. There was one trade paint milestone where you had to ram 35 police vehicles but that wasn't even necessary to finish the game.

The BMW M3 sure does disappoint. It's slow, makes a weird noise, and can't be modified. The controls are ok, still very rough but this car doesn't beat the Gallardo. The best car in the game.

I give this game a 9/10 for entertaining me so much, especially with the cop chases. I initially wanted to trade it in for NFSU 2 but I'm glad I didn't.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »
Starting up Hearts of Iron 3. Going to see if I can annex my way through South and Central America for a western hemisphere conquest.
hex

Vrolokus

« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »
Finally got around to starting Red Faction: Guerilla. A little monotonous when you have to drive a ways to whatever you're doing next, but fun.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #844 on: August 07, 2009, 08:02:06 PM »
I kinda got sick of Red Faction quickly.  it was an impulse buy after hearing them talk about it on Out of the Game, but it seemed like the rescue missions they were talking about were practically the whole game (judging by about 4 hours with it.)  Or at least, some of the best missions. 

Started playing Shiren the Wanderer for the DS...my first rogue-like.  I'm scared as fuck of dying at every turn, but it's a lot of fun.  It's like survival horror, but with an actual fight for survival and a happy veneer that makes you even more scared and distrustful of the game. 

archie4208

« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »
I'm redownloading PC GOTY 2008 aka King's Bounty from Gamersgate :rock

Vrolokus

« Reply #846 on: August 07, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »
I kinda got sick of Red Faction quickly.  it was an impulse buy after hearing them talk about it on Out of the Game, but it seemed like the rescue missions they were talking about were practically the whole game (judging by about 4 hours with it.)  Or at least, some of the best missions. 

I'm more bothered by the fact enemies just materialize when you start raising hell - infuriating when you think enemies only have access from one direction and then suddenly there are a dozen who appeared out of thin air right behind you.

FatalT

« Reply #847 on: August 07, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »
Double XP weekend in Red Faction: Guerrilla! Wooooo!

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »
Sonic 3: Just finished this on the VC.  Lovely game.  One of my favorites of the 16 era.

I  bought this a few days ago. I was really annoyed that they deleted the save slot screen. This takes you from 5 or 6 save slots to 3 save states, and it also strips away level select after you beat the game. Debug mode is gone too. What the fuck?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »

I  bought this a few days ago. I was really annoyed that they deleted the save slot screen. This takes you from 5 or 6 save slots to 3 save states, and it also strips away level select after you beat the game. Debug mode is gone too. What the fuck?

yeah biatch, break out the gold bond, you've just been backboned.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #850 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
I'm got about 20 hours into The Last Remnant, probably only about 4 or 5 on the main quest.
©@©™

Rman

« Reply #851 on: August 08, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »

What?  Is this the XBLA version you're talking about?  Everything is intact in the VC version.  Even the level select after you beat the game. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:35:32 AM by Rman »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #852 on: August 08, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
I'm got about 20 hours into The Last Remnant, probably only about 4 or 5 on the main quest.

lol. only 80 more to go
fat

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #853 on: August 08, 2009, 02:51:05 AM »
Going to try the Batman demo this afternoon.  I really hope it's good.

« Reply #854 on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:22 AM »
I'm on chapter 3 of Ryu ga Gotoku 3. Great game so far.
野球

ch1nchilla

« Reply #855 on: August 08, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »
Too Human... That's pretty much all I have to say about it.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #856 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »

What?  Is this the XBLA version you're talking about?  Everything is intact in the VC version.  Even the level select after you beat the game. 

Oops, missed VC. Yea, it's the XBLA version. They crammed it into their generic emulator interface instead of just leaving it alone.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #857 on: August 08, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
After taking a break i played some more FFT and holy crap Borys you weren't kidding about the fights being easy at the moment.

Steamrolled Fort Basselat and heading for Limberry now, but iv'e decided to take a detour and get the rest of the secret cast (Cloud is the only one left now). My 2 ninjas are destroying all in their path :rock , should be even crazier since i got Orlandeu (hes so overkill  :lol).

I noticed that dark magic is really fucking with me now and i will have to fix that (more Lucavi battles to be fought).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:36:17 PM by Purple Filth »

Rman

« Reply #858 on: August 08, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

Oops, missed VC. Yea, it's the XBLA version. They crammed it into their generic emulator interface instead of just leaving it alone.
I don't know how Backbone messes up simple ports of 16 bit games.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #859 on: August 08, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »
company:  "port this game as fast and cheap as possible"
Backbone: "okay, hold on a minute...okay, all done"

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #860 on: August 08, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »
After taking a break i played some more FFT and holy crap Borys you weren't kidding about the fights being easy at the moment.

Steamrolled Fort Basselat and heading for Limberry now, but iv'e decided to take a detour and get the rest of the secret cast (Cloud is the only one left now). My 2 ninjas are destroying all in their path :rock , should be even crazier since i got Orlandeu (hes so overkill  :lol).

I noticed that dark magic is really fucking with me now and i will have to fix that (more Lucavi battles to be fought).

I never used the "story" characters like Orlandu or Agrias. I always stripped them of everything they had and gave to my party members. Up till I got Orlandu my Ramza was a Ninja, after I got him and took his Excalibur + Save the Queen from Meliadoul I changed Ramza's class to Knight and gave him Two Swords. Can you imagine how fucking powerful he was? :rock

For the rest of the game it was Ramza (Knight) + 2 Ninjas + 2 Chemists with guns and I fucking owned everything even without any kind of preparation like equipping some anti-status equipment before Lucavi battles.

Limberry is fun. It can fuck you up pretty fast and pretty badly if you don't go after the person you must defeat but for example try to defeat everyone else first.

Be sure to steal Marquize shit. He has a full Genj set :rock :rock :rock

I dont mind the story ones though but yes, yes i can  :o

if he's hitting crazy with just 2 Spellbinders (ninja sword that can disable), with those things i can't even imagine the horror (you get auto haste from Excalibur...).

I have been thinking of changing my Samurai into a ninja since his movement and speed is kinda lacking (his iadio moves are garbage)  :-\ and my summoner to have a bit more movement and purpose so i could use your idea and make him a chemist again so he can use a gun (knew i should have stole that magic gun from that machinist dude i fought, oh well).

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:04:24 PM by Purple Filth »

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #861 on: August 09, 2009, 04:53:22 AM »
Threw in Motorstorm Pacific Drift again for the hell of it.  Man, what a fucking awesome racing game.  It may not look as good as the first Motorstorm but it's so much more fun, imo.  Nothing like driving in first person barreling through the jungle while holding down the boost button and just praying that you don't accidentally slam into a tree.

:-*

PS3 GOTY 2008
Tacos

JaySosa

« Reply #862 on: August 09, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
Still playin BOF:DQ and I gotta say the game really grew on me. Now that I fully understand the battle system and how to gain multiple Party XP points It's quite enjoyable. After I realized that I had no chance against
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the 3 guys at the top sector with each one going after another party member without overusing my D-meter, and off course there was no telecorder to be seen 3 hours before you get to that boss fight. I would have had to beat that "fortune/chessboard" gal all over again, Yay Capcom.
[close]
I restarted the whole game and with the added cut scenes It's even more fun and you get to see all the scenes they left out in the first playthrough.

What still really sucks Is the lack/strange positioning of the telecorders. I will never understand the point off letting you do a whole section all over again just because you weren't able to save after or before a boss battle
Make that after 3 boss battles in DQ
[close]

And often you have no clue that there's gonna be a boss battle unlike in the DDS games for instance where they warn you before you open a door so you can stock up on meds and weapons (often it's just false alarm so it doesn't become to obvious).

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #863 on: August 09, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »
Devil Survivor  and I started DQ5. 

I feel like I've played through (or at least tried) everything good on the 360  :-\  now i'm just doing extras in the games I like. Maybe it's good that I'm caught up, so that I can actually be on top of the Fall/Winter releases for once. 

But I do have an unopened copy of Saint's Row 2....

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #864 on: August 09, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Finishing up these last few chapters of FF4 The After Years, then it's on to Lunar: Eternal Blue PS1

Playing FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates on DS, and it's surprisingly enjoyable, albeit a tad easy
^_^

Powerslave

« Reply #865 on: August 09, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »
Still playin BOF:DQ and I gotta say the game really grew on me. Now that I fully understand the battle system and how to gain multiple Party XP points It's quite enjoyable. After I realized that I had no chance against
the 3 guys at the top sector with each one going after another party member without overusing my D-meter, and off course there was no telecorder to be seen 3 hours before you get to that boss fight. I would have had to beat that "fortune/chessboard" gal all over again, Yay Capcom.
[close]
I restarted the whole game and with the added cut scenes It's even more fun and you get to see all the scenes they left out in the first playthrough.

What still really sucks Is the lack/strange positioning of the telecorders. I will never understand the point off letting you do a whole section all over again just because you weren't able to save after or before a boss battle
Make that after 3 boss battles in DQ
[close]

And often you have no clue that there's gonna be a boss battle unlike in the DDS games for instance where they warn you before you open a door so you can stock up on meds and weapons (often it's just false alarm so it doesn't become to obvious).

The game looks and feels like it's made by some amateur game development team. The way the characters move around looks terrible. All you have are dungeons with enemies and chests. There is nothing to do in the game besides fighting and restarting the game.

Purple Filth

« Reply #866 on: August 09, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »

I never used the "story" characters like Orlandu or Agrias. I always stripped them of everything they had and gave to my party members. Up till I got Orlandu my Ramza was a Ninja, after I got him and took his Excalibur + Save the Queen from Meliadoul I changed Ramza's class to Knight and gave him Two Swords. Can you imagine how fucking powerful he was? :rock

For the rest of the game it was Ramza (Knight) + 2 Ninjas + 2 Chemists with guns and I fucking owned everything even without any kind of preparation like equipping some anti-status equipment before Lucavi battles.

Limberry is fun. It can fuck you up pretty fast and pretty badly if you don't go after the person you must defeat but for example try to defeat everyone else first.

Be sure to steal Marquize shit. He has a full Genj set :rock :rock :rock

I dont mind the story ones though but yes, yes i can  :o

if he's hitting crazy with just 2 Spellbinders (ninja sword that can disable), with those things i can't even imagine the horror (you get auto haste from Excalibur...).

I have been thinking of changing my Samurai into a ninja since his movement and speed is kinda lacking (his iadio moves are garbage)  :-\ and my summoner to have a bit more movement and purpose so i could use your idea and make him a chemist again so he can use a gun (knew i should have stole that magic gun from that machinist dude i fought, oh well).

Samurais are SHIT. End of story. The only good thing about them is the Draw Blade ability which with some Katanas deals 100+ damage with 100% chance to every enemy around you. Of course the weapon can break after that :-\ and of course a Ninja attack (100% hit rate with Concentrate!) would deal 400 damage to one enemy :-\

I too had 3 Samurais in the beginning casue OMG ARMOR!!! OMG HELMETS!!! but their speed fucking sucks. And their hit rate. With Ninjas you could always set Concentrate and have 100% hit rate WITH two swords enabled.

Your choice man. I changed my Samurais to Ninjas ASAP.

And Chemists are better than Summoners cause they deal more damage with guns :gun Plus you can always set Summon as their secondary ability.

Chemists are overpowered IMO: always able to use guns, always able to use Items (and even throw them! beats the shit out of White Magic), able to cast White/ Black/ Summon magic as you wish. Totally own every other non-fighter class.

Yea been thinking about changing for a while since the only good part was him dual wielding and Blade Grasp. I thought the iaido moves would be better but they have shit damage, crappy healing numbers and though some have cool status effects, those come out by chance (eg Doomed Aspirations).

There were many battles where he hardly does anything cuz he can never reach in time and the other members are mopping up.  :-\

@ bold: well they are the foundation class for magic users so its kinda expected.  :lol

JaySosa

« Reply #867 on: August 09, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
The game looks and feels like it's made by some amateur game development team. The way the characters move around looks terrible. All you have are dungeons with enemies and chests. There is nothing to do in the game besides fighting and restarting the game.

After a few hours into the game I would`ve agreed (like I posted a few pages back) infact I still gotta say that It has many major flaws BUT if you forget thats It's supposed to be a BOF game it's great fun and something different than your generic Jrpg. Im really glad that I continiued to play despite some major issues(Why I`m not able to save atleast AFTER a boss fight?). With that said I still wish that the would make a "real" BOF V AND release a sequel to DQ just with another graphic engine (and maybe some music during the cutscenes?) and in another "universe" (meaning no annoying d-meter and with the focus on exploration)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #868 on: August 09, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
You guys have talked me into it, I think I'm gonna break out some Final Fantasy Tactics. Gotta get some playing time out of my PS3 somehow.
©@©™

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #869 on: August 09, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

backbone did a FUCK AMAZING job with rock band psp

:bow :bow backbone :bow2 :bow2
duc

jiji

« Reply #870 on: August 09, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
I'm glad I went into BOF DQ expecting something awesome and different from the bland-as-balls BOF series prior to it.  I'm only sad that DQ's shit sales made sure they never made another one.

:bow BOF:DQ :bow2
OTL

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #871 on: August 09, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »
Speaking of sonic 3, I beat it for the first time a few months ago.  When I was a kid they had an amusement park called Alton Towers.  Sega somehow took up advertising space in one of the rail rides.  So I come around the corner and I see a giant sonic standing next to a big screen running ice cap zone footage.  Imagine how sad I was that I spent weeks trying to find a different route through Carnival Night zone that wouldn't lead to THAT BARREL.  Felt good to see Ice Cap zone and  the credits screen 15 years later.
sad

archie4208

« Reply #872 on: August 09, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »
I've been playing the fan translations of Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 on the SNES.  The core gameplay is still solid, but the UI is awful.  I would kill for some DS remakes of these games with modernized and streamlined UIs.

Enl

« Reply #873 on: August 09, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
Prey- Picked this up for $3.50. I didn't realize that you couldn't die in this game, so right now it's nothing more than "ooh check out all our fancy portal effects and crazy alien corridors running on the Doom 3 engine".   meh

Castlevania Rondo of Blood PSP- mmm... Classic Castlevania gameplay goodness.

King of Fighters 98 UM XBLA- Online is still happenin

Samurai Shodown II XBLA- Online is not happenin  :'(

TMNT TiT XBLA & SNES- Doing no continue runs of the SNES version at work. The enemies in that version seem much more aggressive than in the XBLA one. The second stage actually depleted most of my life.
mmm

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #874 on: August 10, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »
Beat Ethereal Queen in SO4, finally :rock

Gonna probably take a bit of a break from games, to throw down a few new mixes. And maybe watch 'Haibane Renmei'.
^_^

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #875 on: August 10, 2009, 12:51:02 AM »

backbone did a FUCK AMAZING job with rock band psp

:bow :bow backbone :bow2 :bow2

yeah, it's decent.  I mean, they made a solid game, but I'm not going to bow.  I got no respect for those guys.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #876 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »
I just downloaded every Mega Man Battle Network & Star Force

I'm totally going to play them all.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #877 on: August 10, 2009, 01:04:07 AM »
I just downloaded every Mega Man Battle Network & Star Force

I'm totally going to play them all.

If you play one of these games, you've already played them all.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #878 on: August 10, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »
Wow like no fucking shit. If I've played one fighting game I've played them all too. What's your excuse.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #879 on: August 10, 2009, 01:23:16 AM »
I guess it would be that all fighting games don't play exactly the same, unlike Battle Network and Starforce?

Battle Network was better.  The first Starforce was  :yuck.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:25:37 AM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #880 on: August 10, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
I played Battle Network 1-3 and liked them all. The Starforce games look like ass though.

Edit: I'm playing BlazBlue. Game owns. :hyper
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:26:42 AM by Beezy »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #881 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »
I liked Battle Network 1 and 5 (DS) the most.  Never finished either; got really close to the end in the original and put some hours into 5 before getting tired of it.  Also kind of enjoyed Network Transmission on the Game Cube too, although that was maybe more because of the music than anything else.

IIRC, didn't BN5 end up getting THREE different versions released?  I know the DS version had them all combined.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:27:46 AM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #882 on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:09 AM »
I got the Untouchables and Nothing Special achievements just now in L4D - at the same time. That's pretty cool  8)
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #883 on: August 10, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
I played some Gamecube games last night and decided that the Wii is probably better than it.  Most of the sequels are worse than the N64 games (Wave Race, Mario games, Zelda games, etc.) and the third party exclusive are kinda crap.  F-Zero GX, DK Jungle Beat and the Pikmin games are still great, as are Smash Bros and Mario Kart (with friends), and some of the third party ports are alright (Skies of Arcadia) but it's a really poor system.  As bad as it seems compared to other current systems, even the Wii already has better third party games than the gamecube.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:06:31 AM by swaggaz »

« Reply #884 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
Ryu ga Gotoku 3: Just finished chapter 3. I think we're done with the touching heartfelt orphange moments, and now it's on to nothing but beating people and being awesomely badass.
野球

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
I just got a world record for a Mirror's Edge time trial.  My first world record ever, in anything. It doesn't matter if it was only  the world record for this week and that I got it 10 minutes past midnight, I'M A WORLD RECORD HOLDA BITCHES!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:06:54 PM by am nintenho »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #886 on: August 10, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
I've acquired Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
:9

Powerslave

« Reply #887 on: August 10, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity

Powerslave

« Reply #888 on: August 10, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »
I hope you RC.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #889 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:04 PM »
You do know RC means Ride Cock right
fat

Beezy

« Reply #890 on: August 10, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »
SuckDickForGoodsAnalSexForGoods?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #891 on: August 10, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
:lol that about sums him up
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #892 on: August 10, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
speaking of sucking dick for anal sex, I'm gonna go pick up a copy of DoA4 from GS  8)

I'm like a battered wife.  I've got SF4, MvC2, HDR, everything...but no, I have a craving for some motherfuckin' DOA.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #893 on: August 10, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
It's ok boo, I got you covered. :heart
fat

Powerslave

« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
SuckDickForGoodsAnalSexForGoods?

You are ignoring SDFG. The four letters in between.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
I hacked my wii and now I dont know what to do with it. What do I do now? How do I play pirated games demi.
USA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #896 on: August 10, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
Look it up
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #897 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:14 PM »
I did but I don't understand it. I got everything bootmii all that shit hacked and on there but how do I played burned dvd gamexzs.FatalT told me but he's half a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow and doesn't know anything.
USA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #898 on: August 12, 2009, 08:15:09 AM »
I did the rubberband trick in L4D, to get Zombie Genocidest - the last one I needed.

I started at 10k, and had it running all day before I went to sleep, which was about 35k. I figure everything is cool.

I wake up in the morning, and find that the game had somehow reset itself, and was playing the intro movie. I thought I died, so it saved my shit. Check my achievements... and no, I lost every single kill. Back to 10k.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So now I am doing it all over again. : )
fat

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #899 on: August 12, 2009, 09:15:50 AM »
I'm playing Broken Sword 1. I admire Telltale Games for keeping the PnC genre afloat, but they're nowhere near as talented as the A-teams from Lucas Arts and Revolution back in the day.
wut