Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3688071 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #780 on: August 01, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
I popped  in 1 v 100 at the last half hour and got in the mob!

... then i lost on a question about the bering strait. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

no age of booty for me :(
fat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #781 on: August 01, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »
fallout 3. fuck awesome
itm

jiji

« Reply #782 on: August 01, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »
Drakengard. Dynasty Warriors with a dragon you can ride whenever and really dissonant music.  Coming from a DW fantard, this ain't half bad.
OTL

Bebpo

« Reply #783 on: August 02, 2009, 02:08:49 AM »
Hit the 10 hour mark in DQIX, yay.  Enjoying it although so far it's my least favorite DQ.  The graphics are gorgeous and the story concept is original, but it's a bit of a slow starter so far.  Especially gameplay-wise.

Started playing Tales of Monkey Island ep1 tonight.  Better than I expected.  I don't like Guybrush's voice, but the graphics are pretty nice for a Telltale game (they've been getting really good at making Wii-capable engines that still look really nice at 1280x1024) and the remixed monkey island music is all nostalgic.  I have to say I HATE the console-fied controls in Wallace & Gromit and this where you have to walk with the keyboard instead of simply point & click like Sam & Max / Strongbad. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #784 on: August 02, 2009, 02:43:24 AM »
I played some Dead Or Alive 4 last night after reading that the game still has a pretty decent amount of people playing.  Logged on at around 5am, and sure enough, plenty of people on!  Had some fun; it's been like three years since I last played.  Forgot a lot of stuff!

Hit the 10 hour mark in DQIX, yay.  Enjoying it although so far it's my least favorite DQ.  The graphics are gorgeous and the story concept is original, but it's a bit of a slow starter so far.  Especially gameplay-wise.

Isn't this every Dragon Quest game?
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #785 on: August 02, 2009, 04:54:51 AM »
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, its fucking tight

Tales of Vesperia, ditto

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #786 on: August 02, 2009, 05:39:51 AM »
Oh yeah played M:TG XBLA for like 4 hours with a friend last night. Trying to complete the local co-op campaign. We didnt lose once but those games can go on for quite a while with stalemates etc. Hopefully finish it some time this week

Flatwoods

« Reply #787 on: August 02, 2009, 05:55:39 AM »
Finally started playing Breath of Fire III today after letting it do nothing but sit around the house for over a decade. Slow so far but I haven't gotten to the whole splicing thing yet.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #788 on: August 02, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »
why is everyone suddenly cranking BOF3? Its pretty good I guess

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #789 on: August 02, 2009, 06:01:02 AM »
Takes way too long to actually get somewhere. BOF4 cums on its face
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #790 on: August 02, 2009, 06:08:40 AM »
Is that Dragon Quarter?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #791 on: August 02, 2009, 06:15:46 AM »
No way
fat

Flatwoods

« Reply #792 on: August 02, 2009, 06:22:51 AM »
I guess it's just a coincidence, I felt like an RPG and I had BOF3 and Disgaea 2 sitting around.

Takes way too long to actually get somewhere. BOF4 cums on its face

It is kind of like pulling teeth right now :-\ I'm going to give it a little more time though.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #793 on: August 02, 2009, 06:29:50 AM »
It's -extremely- slow when you are a child. When you turn Adult it starts turning the gears finally.
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #794 on: August 02, 2009, 06:37:52 AM »
BoF: Dragon Quarter is UNF UNF UNF. You should play that at some point.
:9

JaySosa

« Reply #795 on: August 02, 2009, 07:36:27 AM »
Playing BOF:DQ right now, yeah its nice and the combat system is kinda fun, but come on. Comparing the epic 3rd title to Dragon quarter is like comparing FF VII to FF:Crystal Chronicles. Its just so lifeless, the cutscenes are laughable and it's just one big dungeon that seemingly never ends (No spoilers please :D) On friday I had to play for 4 hours till I got to a savepoint/telecorder
spoiler (click to show/hide)
(First I had to run around for an hour in just another boring ass dungeon, then I had to beat this wannabee psycho mantis guy, then some "friends" of his and them him again, and then finally after I had used up all my meds, because off course It's too much to ask for an healing spell I was able to save)
[close]
It just doesn't feel like a full priced "real" Breath of fire but rather like some spinoff..

Why have I to appraise every f'n equipment I find? Why is there no inn or somewhere I can rest? Why Is there only one voice sample when Nina attacks? And so on and so forth.

Playing this after Suikoden 2 is like going from a haybusa to a bicycle..

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #796 on: August 02, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
Yeah, DQ is blown way out of proportion on how good it is. It's really not.
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #797 on: August 02, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »
 :'(

I just like how the game feels like various stages linked together, almost like an old school beat'em up but with that strategy element placed in. But yeah, the progression of the game and the way death is handled does get in the way enjoying other aspects of the game. It would have been cool if Capcom put in the option to turn off the Dragon Meter so you could go through the game without having to worry about ending that run. Do it so when you do turn it off, that current run doesn't effect your D-Ratio (negatively or positively) but you retain items from that run (by using the locker system).

The music, setting and hidden paths needing higher D-Ratios were cool though. The concept and execution of the game were just refreshing to me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:31:01 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

JaySosa

« Reply #798 on: August 02, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »
Ha!  I forgot to bitch about the annoying dragon meter.. ;) I mean I'm able to morph into some cool dragon thingy (what was funny btw was that in the cut scenes the charas acted like I changed into a dragon when I didn't. Is it too much to ask for 2 different cut scenes?) and when I do I'm getting "punished" for it? (Luckily I only had to use it once so far) And why does the dragon meter run when I'm just trying to explore the surroundings(not by much, but still it's a odd)?

Like I said good game but nowhere near as brilliant as the third. The only complaint I had bout BOF 3 was that it was maybe a bit too "classical/old school" but to me that's not necessarely a bad thing.   

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:59:35 AM by JaySosa »

pilonv1

« Reply #799 on: August 02, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »
Dude you say fallout but I can see you on Steam ingame in Manager 09 AGAIN

I run FM 09 while I'm playing Fallout on 360. When there's some loading I'll run some games. I'm a good multi tasker :-*
itm

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #800 on: August 02, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »
I've started Persona 3 FES up again this week, after months/years on and off. The game is starting to pick up as I've just finished summer vacation at the hot chick's mansion (my wife was watching during the cheeseburger scene at the beach  :'(). I figure I am about half way through, and I am determined to play through it this time.

Trying to buy Braid on D2D, but my PayPal transaction won't go through. I expected nothing less from a digital download service associated with IGN and Fileplanet  :yuck
jon

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #801 on: August 02, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Just got my 100,000 kills in Dynasty Warriors Gundam  8)

Got it in about 56 hours.  I remember MAF saying it took him 60 hours and that is with kill grinding.  I still have quite a few missions left to finish all characters in Original.

Since MAF isn't around for me to talk shit, I'm just going to declare myself the best Musou gamer on EB  :smug

maf sez: it was 60 hours for 1000/1000, newb :smug  you got a ways to go he sez.

Well fuck me...

I got 900/1000.  Good enough for me.  Time to start tearing through Samurai Warriors 2 or if I can't find that for a reasonable price at Game Crazy today, Warriors Orochi.
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #802 on: August 02, 2009, 11:48:56 AM »
Started Riddick; played on Hard until the first boss, could not get past him. Normally, you know, if you stab a guy 15 fucking times, they fall down dead. This guy was hitting me maybe 5 times, and I was dead. Hitting him 3~5 times for every 1 wasn't really happening for me, so I went to Normal difficulty, which is a little boring.

Game's opening is freaking cool. I liked:
dream sequence as opening, and story-like progression until making initial break, with all the prison deals, including killing the one guy who is, essentially, an inoffensive nobody. Hardcore, nihilistic, fuck you, you'll die because I need a shiv violence. :rock
[close]

Powerslave

« Reply #803 on: August 02, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »

I made a thread on GAF about playing BoF3 and mentioned it here a few times too.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #804 on: August 02, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
Started Riddick; played on Hard until the first boss, could not get past him. Normally, you know, if you stab a guy 15 fucking times, they fall down dead. This guy was hitting me maybe 5 times, and I was dead. Hitting him 3~5 times for every 1 wasn't really happening for me, so I went to Normal difficulty, which is a little boring.

dream sequence as opening, and story-like progression until making initial break, with all the prison deals, including killing the one guy who is, essentially, an inoffensive nobody. Hardcore, nihilistic, fuck you, you'll die because I need a shiv violence. :rock
[close]

Play it on Hard if you want both achievements at once, otherwise enjoy your 4 playthroughs
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #805 on: August 02, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
it has taken close to 2 years, but I finally finished Stranglehold :rock

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #806 on: August 02, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »
fallout 3. fuck awesome

Fuck yeah. :rock

I'm at level 21 and it just keeps getting awesomer.

pilonv1

« Reply #807 on: August 02, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
:bow gauss rifle :bow2
itm

Powerslave

« Reply #808 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
lol awesomer

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #809 on: August 02, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »
Super Mario 64 on Project 64

haha, this camera setup sucks
sup

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #810 on: August 02, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »
:bow gauss rifle :bow2

I'll have to consider getting Anchorage just for this.  I never use energy weapons so have an absolute ton of stashed ammo I could use.

pilonv1

« Reply #811 on: August 02, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
It's fucking awesome. It knocks down Death Claws, Giant/Albino Radscorpions and Super Mutant Behemoths. It does take a fuckton of time to reload though.
itm

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #812 on: August 02, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
I know Anchorage was viewed as kinda crap, but the rifle would be great.  The Chinese stealth armour would also be ideal for my character.

Death Claws still make me nervous (which is great), I carry a couple of bottlecap mines just for dealing with them. :lol  And I forgot how tough those Giant and Albino Radscorpions are, ran into some last night.

pilonv1

« Reply #813 on: August 02, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
I had two of those stupid fucking radscorpions getting me last night. I cracked the shits and used a fat boy on them :punch
itm

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #814 on: August 02, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »
:lol

I opened up with my shotgun and when I realised that does virtually nothing I ran off while dropping mines.

Enl

« Reply #815 on: August 02, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
Knights of Nightmare- Liking it so far, but the combat screen and menus are a bit too cluttered.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors- Did another "no continue" run which was already turning out better than my last attempt until the game ironically froze up on me at level 16, the same stage I died in on my last attempt.  ???

King of the Fighters XII- The more I play this the more I'm liking how this fighting system is set up compared to the other fighters that have come out this year. But for fuck's sake, please smooth out the online so I can enjoy this more!

Also playing MvsC2, Blades of Vengeance, Zelda:OoAges, Ninja Gaiden 2 (nes)
mmm

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #816 on: August 02, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
Beat Majora's Mask finally, the Fierce Deity Mask made the final battle CAKE... played some more FF4: After Years, beat Yang's chapter and am almost done with Palom's chapter... this week its gonna be Mothership Zeta, beating Palom and Edge's chapter, then who knows???
^_^

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #817 on: August 03, 2009, 03:41:30 AM »
I think why Dragon Quarter gets so much praise from RPG uber-nerds is its originality and high difficulty level. There are some cool concepts in the game but I found the high difficulty too unforgiving when its like, 2 hours between savepoints. Losing lots of progress and having to replay sections really puts me off JRPGs.

Dead Rising was the better version

JaySosa

« Reply #818 on: August 03, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
Dead Rising was the better version

Don't get me started with that..  ;)

And yeah after spending about 25 hours with DQ I really wish they'd make a sequel and work on the flaws (No Inns, appraise everything, horrible cut scenes, boring NPCs, boring "towns", repetitive dungeon design, dragon meter and so on) cause like you said some concepts are cool (like the ant farm, the battle system, story is compelling too)

cool breeze

« Reply #819 on: August 04, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
Grim Fandango

has problems on Vista but there were solutions.  still great even if the controls are terrible by current standards.  probably even back then they were bad if you compared it to older adventures games with mouse controls.  it's somewhere between alone in the dark and re1 clunk.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #820 on: August 04, 2009, 04:47:12 AM »
[youtube=560,345]yovyLIuLKqo[/youtube]

:lol
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #821 on: August 04, 2009, 04:56:36 AM »
lmfao

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #822 on: August 04, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »
hahahaha
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #823 on: August 04, 2009, 05:02:36 AM »
I got paid like $200 to do some guy's achievements once - legit, though. There are actually people out there who will pay you to do this shit.
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #824 on: August 04, 2009, 05:03:44 AM »
It'd be pretty awesome, play games for pay!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #825 on: August 05, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »

[close]

Play it on Hard if you want both achievements at once, otherwise enjoy your 4 playthroughs

Yeah, I'm going to restart on Hard and give it another shot. Should be able to get through the preamble very quickly this time, and try Rust on Hard. I looked up what the main difference is, and it's the amount of damage you take. I didn't know health regenerates if you back off for a couple seconds, so I was just kind of going balls out. Dumb, I know.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #826 on: August 05, 2009, 04:40:03 AM »
I beat it on Hard and Rust was the only annoying part.
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #827 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:01 AM »
What you do is beat it on Hard, then you reload the final chapter on Normal and beat it again
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #828 on: August 05, 2009, 04:50:30 AM »
I beat it on Hard and Rust was the only annoying part.

Oh, OK. Rust I tried probably 15 times. So annoying.

What you do is beat it on Hard, then you reload the final chapter on Normal and beat it again

Ooh, pro-tip. Thanks for that.

archie4208

« Reply #829 on: August 05, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
Playing Civ4

I'm not that good. :'(

Tucah

« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »
About to start up some of my massive backlog of PS2 games. First up, Persona 3, never played it before.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #831 on: August 05, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »
Bored at work, so I'm going to start up another playthrough of X-Com on the laptop.
fek

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #832 on: August 05, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
I got back into Overlord 2. Despite the delicious men, I dont think it is as good as #1.

I started toying with Luminous Arc after seeing a third one announced.

fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #833 on: August 05, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
might go pick up civ revolution for the 360 tonight.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #834 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
Playing Civ4

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not that good. :'(
Been there. Religion is a key thing to get early, which is what you did. But you have to pump out the missionaries. You don't even have to micromanage them.
If you are just starting out, do custom games and turn off barbarians and limit the other players to 4 just to give yourself time to figure out how to manage your cities. Before starting a city, read the land tiles to make sure your sity gets the most out of it's immediate surroundings.

Great game.
©ZH

Kestastrophe

« Reply #835 on: August 05, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »
might go pick up civ revolution for the 360 tonight.
pretty good game. I am down to the last 2 achievements (win before year 1000, all great people appear) but after that I am done.

got all 4 victories on deity difficulty :rock
jon

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #836 on: August 06, 2009, 04:51:44 AM »
'Splosion Man. my sister is staying with me atm so Im going to rope her in for co-op.

Will get Mothership Zeta very soon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #837 on: August 06, 2009, 04:59:03 AM »
Someone get Overlord 2 and help me squeeze the online crap out of the way. Mucky baby~
fat

Enl

« Reply #838 on: August 06, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »
How were you able to get Albion to work? I was trying to play this a while back and couldn't get it to run correctly under DOSbox.
mmm

Kestastrophe

« Reply #839 on: August 06, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
I finally got the last achievement for Civilization Revolution  8). I had the most epic game going for the rush achievement (win before 1000AD on King difficulty). I had eliminated all of the enemies capitals but one by 400AD, finally found the last capital. I had all my troops right outside the last capital at 900AD and took one turn to bring the city down, phew. Last turn, so close
jon