Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3588757 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #30900 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS
I'm to the tail end
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just beat Egil and the following Telethia fight
[close]
It's fallen in the Xenogears disc 2 area of "Sit down and watch this cut scene."
Now I know I'll have a slew of bosses to beat coming up as they throw everything in as they can. This Xeno team always falls apart at the end of games. The only exception was Xenosaga 3 and that was done by a different team. I haven't played Xenoblade x or 2. I'm going ot skip x but will try out 2 after I'm done here.
que

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #30901 on: March 14, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »
What a fucking disappointment that Xenogears disc 2 was  :snoop

Don't remember Xenoblade falling apart at the end tho. There was more gameplay to be had compared to the last stretch of Xenogears.

Svejk

« Reply #30902 on: March 14, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »
If any old Squenix game needed a remake/remaster, Xenogears would be it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30903 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »

Pretty sure they did that and called it "Xenosaga."  :doge
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30904 on: March 14, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »

Don't remember Xenoblade falling apart at the end tho. There was more gameplay to be had compared to the last stretch of Xenogears.
It's certainly not as bad as xenogears disc 2. But it's just uneven. It's like "here play for twenty hours and we'll never throw a cutscene longer than 10 minutes at you." Now at the end it's like "Oh crap! You're almost done and we haven't told you anything. Watch this 30 minute cutscene, do a fight then watch another."

Really uneven.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30905 on: March 14, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »

Pretty sure they did that and called it "Xenosaga."  :doge
:brazilcry
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30906 on: March 14, 2018, 09:36:06 PM »
I've been playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for a couple days now and just finished it. Thankfully it was a (late) 360 era port, so I could continue playing even with the older backup graphics card.

Anyway, it's a 3rd person, squad based cover shooter set in 60s Amerika aaand - actually perfectly serviceable? Considering the development history, that is a bit of a surprise:
The game had been in development under different titles by three different studios since 2006. It was unveiled as a first-person shooter titled XCOM in June 2010 and was repeatedly delayed until its release. In April 2013, the game was rebranded as The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. In its final version, it became a third-person tactical shooter with strategy video game elements.

After the intro/tutorial, you pick two squadmates from a roster of classes I already forget and off you go, steadfastly fighting off an alien invasion, accruing levels, alien weaponry and strange telekinetic powers along the way (very strange powers, which nobody remarks on, curiosely). In-between missions, you can also walk around the base, make bland conversatios with the personel and even do a couple side quests right there, but I found none of it really worth doing. The space mainly serves as a background for dialogue, much as your ship in Mass Effect, but unlike ME it doesn't actually have any interesting characters to talk to.

Combat resembles ME as well, though it is much more unforgiving. You have no recharging shields, ammo can be scarce and sitting in the same spot popping heads will certainly be punished, as even a basic enemy type frequently flushes you out with grenades. Difficulty ramps up slowly, however, and the basic approach to combat stops changing once you and your enemies are fully developed, weapon upgrades notwithstanding. I eventually found myself mindlessly putting everything I have on cooldown, only giving commanders or spawners more careful attention. There is a good bit of game left after you are fully powered up and I can see people putting it down soon after, but I had enough fun to push to the end where it again shows inspiration from ME by giving you a couple of tough choices to make, which culminate in what I assume are three distinct endings.

The story is surprisingly grim and self-serious throughout. Every bit of dialogue drips with stoic determination. No levity at all, though I understand that turn-based XCOMs situational humor is difficult to replicate. Not (entirely) surprising is the twist, though they commit to it fully.
You're actually playing an Ethereal inhabiting the protagonist. It's neat in how it re-contextualizes the perspective you play from, but the lampshading until then is weak.
[close]

Side note: the player character and deployables seem to share movement code, as even mines and turrets 'stick' to cover and have to be pried off it by holding in the opposite direction and even drop down ledges at the same speed as you or a squaddie would. Doesn't get in the way though. No more than sprint and cover being on the same button. Ahem.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30907 on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
Might and Magic X - the last M&M RPG game I did not finish yet. M&M1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 were done years ago.

A fantastic game and a fantastic entry in the M&M franchise.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Much better than Grimrock 1/2 as well due to being open ended from the beginning, having tons of skills and being truly Turn-Based.

The bosses here are extremely hard and require most often changing your whole strategy (learning new spells or skills), having all the buffs from shrines and hirelings available (Hour of Power, Well Rested etc.) and dozens of reloads due to RNGesus fucking you up (one-hit kill in the first turn, paralysing your healer in the first turn etc.)

Oh and the loot dropped by those bosses is RNG as well so even more reloads, yay!

Yeah, M&M X was really great! Definitely pretty tough, like you said, but still a lot of fun to play and very retro PC RPG without being annoying about it. I'm sad that Ubisoft has pretty much abandoned the series since then, though, probably didn't sell all that well.
dog

Fifstar

« Reply #30908 on: March 16, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
Started Mario Odyssey, first 3D Mario since Sunshine. So far, so good. Only annoyance is that I can't use some moves with the joycons attached in portable mode. Had to the ye olde "stick the switch between your belly flaps" trick to make things work  >:(
Gulp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #30909 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »
Fallout under Beth is garbage tho

FTFY. The only good one post-Tactics is New Vegas and that's only because most of the "old" Interplay team was behind it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30910 on: March 16, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
Started Mario Odyssey, first 3D Mario since Sunshine. So far, so good. Only annoyance is that I can't use some moves with the joycons attached in portable mode. Had to the ye olde "stick the switch between your belly flaps" trick to make things work  >:(
Except for aiming the hat throw from stand still all moves can be done in an alternative way using the Pro Controller.

What move can't you pull off?
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30911 on: March 17, 2018, 07:16:38 AM »
I've been playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for a couple days now and just finished it. Thankfully it was a (late) 360 era port, so I could continue playing even with the older backup graphics card.

Anyway, it's a 3rd person, squad based cover shooter set in 60s Amerika aaand - actually perfectly serviceable?

Felt like it's another one of those Singularity type games were it basically gets overshadowed by other stuff that came out at the time. They're pretty good games and for the prices they're going for nowadays I feel they deserve another shot.

Fifstar

« Reply #30912 on: March 17, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
Except for aiming the hat throw from stand still all moves can be done in an alternative way using the Pro Controller.

The higher jump moves when you posses something. I'm playing undocked bzw. Or that move where cappi rotates around you?
Gulp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30913 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »

The higher jump moves when you posses something. I'm playing undocked bzw. Or that move where cappi rotates around you?
Higher jump moves:
- Simply shake whatever controller you're holding that has a motion sensor thingy (I think all of them do).

Cappy twirl:
- Twirl with the control stick to make Mario spin, throw the hat

This game is so good  :lawd

🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30914 on: March 17, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
Felt like it's another one of those Singularity type games were it basically gets overshadowed by other stuff that came out at the time. They're pretty good games and for the prices they're going for nowadays I feel they deserve another shot.
Most of these will eventually populate the various hidden gems lists when that console generation becomes retro.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30915 on: March 17, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
Chip Chan Kick on PC-FX - one of the few games playable on the system for non Japanese speakers, a fun single screen action game a la Bubble Bobble. With a great upbeat soundtrack from Hitoshi Sakimoto and wayyyyy tooo much loli pantsu and :uguu

And a shit ton of random X68000 doujin shmups
^_^

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30916 on: March 17, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
I'll never understand people who passionately write about how awful Bethesda games are for years on end after their release, as if they're genuinely bothered anyone might derive any enjoyment whatsoever from Skyrim or Fallout 4. I guess those "this is Todd Howard and I'll molest your family if you don't preorder x" memes must be onto something

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30917 on: March 17, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
As someone that likes mechanic driven games it feels like having these games be the popular ones just drives the money to these streamlined/dumbed-down experiences and it's kind of ruining a big part of gaming to me. These games also got a legacy. If you're someone that loves Morrowind and Fallout 1/2, they're kind of a hard pill to swallow.

At the same time I just start up the next Zachtronics title and have a good time, so whatever.

Svejk

« Reply #30918 on: March 17, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
Backlog getting bigger and bigger, yet I still keep going back to Skyrim.  Another day,  another new mod.   :yeshrug

kingv

« Reply #30919 on: March 17, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »
Interestingly, the best part of Bethesda’s game is when they go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow when their complex systems fuck up, like the radiant AI starts making weird ass decision.

Conversely, they are at their weakest with their normal quest lines

IMO, they should double down on the AI controlled NPCs, sort of like some sort of modern RPG driven Creatures where the characters have “complex” motivations that are semi-random, can change, and are weird as fuck and then give the player a lot of freedom to fuck with the game world and change their behavior for comical results.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30920 on: March 17, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
I could get behind that. Systems upon system, Dwarf Fortress style. Push the radiant quest system to it's logical conclusion. Though what kind of over-arching narrative (there will be one, for sure) would you tell in that world?

kingv

« Reply #30921 on: March 17, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
I don’t think I’ve ever finished a Bethesda game apart from fallout 3, so I’m not sure I would miss any overarching story, because r theoretically I wouldn’t mind a radiant based main story that had multiple characters theoretically trying to achive some goal, and using the game systems to do it.

I remember reading about an NPC in an earlier game that had some affinity to gold or silver or something and the radiant system gone hay wire had them stealing from other houses and eventually going into dungeons to look for loot. No idea if it was a bullshit story, but that type of thing sounds cool, if taken to its logical conclusion, and experienced frequently.

BisMarckie

« Reply #30922 on: March 17, 2018, 05:50:21 PM »
I own so many games and I bought a fancy new GPU, but i still can't stop playing Football Manager or EU IV.

HELP  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30923 on: March 17, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind either, but I don't think they'd take that kind of risk. Fidelity is everything to AAA, and an involved main story is now part of that equation. Though who knows, the compromises they've made to fully voice F4 weren't so well received.

The AI thing sounds like the kind of stuff you'd read in a preview. I don't remember much of the Radiant AI hype though, only that it didn't amount to much in the end.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30924 on: March 18, 2018, 05:03:11 AM »
Bethesda games have basically just become content dispensers and they're not really rpgs anymore. I like how the modern "involved" main story means you're basically not involved anymore at all. The games used to react to what you did, now they just excrete extra content the moment you finish your previous questmark.

It's funny how the best modern Bethesda-styled rpg was one made by a different studio.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30925 on: March 18, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
Yeah, 'involved' was not the best word to use... Bespoke, perhaps.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30926 on: March 18, 2018, 11:35:11 AM »
Nex Machina is sick.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30927 on: March 18, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »
You try taking it to the doctor?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30928 on: March 18, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
Spess Hulk Tactics Templar Battleforce  :rejoice
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:44:35 AM by D3RANG3D »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30929 on: March 19, 2018, 12:46:12 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel - didn't realize this game would be Trails x Persona... seems good so far (great battle system and music) but not quite what I was expecting...
^_^

Fifstar

« Reply #30930 on: March 19, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
Played some more Mario Odyssey - simply put a fantastic game. I think I enjoy it more than Zelda. Nintendos designers are so fantastic at guiding the player with an "invisible hand". Also love the graphics.
Gulp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30931 on: March 19, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
Mario Odyssey is fine but could do without the 1000 moons

You get moons for tripping over rocks and sneezing on people
fat

Svejk

« Reply #30932 on: March 19, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »
Going through my random, older RPG phase where I get hyped about old RPG's I never got to finish playing through back in the day (for various reasons).  So I load my phone up with PS1, NDS, DC, Scumm and PSP games that I shuffle through and see what can still grab my attention.  This go round I put Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire IV, Suikoden Tierkreis, Radiant Historia, Grandia II, Trails in the Sky and Chrono Trigger DS.
Yes, I know, it's crazy that I never played through Chrono Trigger... I've tried several times, but usually get bored... but I'll keep trying simply out of principle.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:52:08 AM by Svejk »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30933 on: March 19, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
All good choices, maybe except Tierkreis
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30934 on: March 19, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel - didn't realize this game would be Trails x Persona... seems good so far (great battle system and music) but not quite what I was expecting...

Its not really at all like Persona but I get why you say that. Its just a really solid JRPG. Enjoy, it gets even crazier in the sequel
fat

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #30935 on: March 19, 2018, 11:33:42 AM »
Playing Ratchet and Clank(remake) and i don't understand why the game did not get a 95+ on metacritic.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30936 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »

IactuallyreallylikedTierkreiseventhoughithadnothingtodowiththerestoftheseriesandtheleadcharactertalkslikethis...
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30937 on: March 19, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
Playing Ratchet and Clank(remake) and i don't understand why the game did not get a 95+ on metacritic.

I'm playing it and questioning myself why anyone'd want to play it over the original. Game feels soulless.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30938 on: March 19, 2018, 04:20:12 PM »
Borys, I'd love your take on Wizardry 7/8
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #30939 on: March 19, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »

Where I'm from this is now worth like 80 bucks. So that's something. :dunno

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30940 on: March 19, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »
I beat Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 over the weekend

Yeah, the formula got stale about 3 licenses ago, but my real issue with the game is that they replaced the ENTIRE voice cast due to a union dispute, many of which had been doing voices for characters in games and cartoons for a decade or more. Now it just sounds like 3 Canadians doing the voices for the entire cast, so everyone sounds the same, and don't sound like what they normally sound like. It sucks. Plus having the first game essentially be the MCU Game to this one having WAY too much focus on Dr. Strange and Ms. Marvel and Kang as the baddie.

I play the Lego games the way others play Dynasty Warriors: it's just a way to relax and unwind. There's nothing tricky, and death has almost no consequences. It's just fun to break shit apart.

The best buildable-brick game is still Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, but the Lego games are fun for what they are.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30941 on: March 19, 2018, 10:00:43 PM »

Nope. Lots of shitty games go up in value - it just had a low print run thats all
fat

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30942 on: March 19, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »
Dead By Daylight is pretty clunky, and there are moments of extreme frustration, but the highlights are amazing. There's a level of BM in this game that results in moments of hilarity rivaled by few other games I've played in recent memory. That and shit like juking out killers, circling literally behind their back while they're trying to figure out where you are, and making the escape are a blast.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30943 on: March 20, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »

Nope. Lots of shitty games go up in value - it just had a low print run thats all

I meant it's cool to have something valuable, not that that alone makes it good.  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #30944 on: March 20, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
So far, Tierkreis seems like it really wants to be a Suikoden, what with it's presentation, battle system and member gathering... but something seems off about it.  It's certainly not a masterpiece like Suikoden II is. 

Coax

« Reply #30945 on: March 21, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
Mini Doom II. Free Doom-as-a-platformer. Pretty good stuff. Need to git a bit gud-er at the section I'm in atm.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30946 on: March 21, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »
Star Wars Racing 64. All I ever played of this until know was the PC demo as a kid. It starts off pretty simplistic, but it gets surprisingly exciting once you get faster vehicles and more complex courses. It took me way too long to realize how the boost mode worked, which is when it got real fun.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30947 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
The reality is that, except PS4, Dualshocks always were the crap design of the industry. I have an N64 controller that's somewhat close to 360 pad.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30948 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
I'm playing Mario Kart 8 again. Deluxe and everything.

This is the best Mario Kart ever.  :doge
🤴

« Reply #30949 on: March 24, 2018, 01:18:59 AM »
MK8 is truly the best

Though I feel like they ruined the game balance a bit by letting people carry two itens at once in Deluxe. I was glad that in the original you could only hold one item at a time as opposed to the older games but they went back on this change and doubled down on it for whatever reason

Coax

« Reply #30950 on: March 24, 2018, 01:52:50 AM »
Oh snap, a ghost liked my post

:-*

Update: and vanished. RIP.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:53:05 AM by Coax »

archnemesis

« Reply #30951 on: March 24, 2018, 03:58:29 AM »

Lost Sphear, the second game from Tokyo RPG Factory, fixes some of the issues I had with I am Setsuna. It has more varied environments and you can now position your party members which makes it much easier to hit multiple enemies with each attack. Unfortunately it is still bland and uninspired. There are many subsystems, yet few meaningful choices. It is very talky although nothing of importance is being said.

It does scratch the itch I had for a portable classic JRPG, but ultimately it is forgettable just like its predecessor.

Svejk

« Reply #30952 on: March 24, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
Tried out the Bruma: Beyond Skyrim mod....  wow :whoo
This shit is the Blood & Wine of Skyrim!  Absolutely massive with an insane amount of quality content!   Just when I thought I'd lay Skyrim to rest....  :ahnuld2

etiolate

« Reply #30953 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
Playing Steep now. Worst part is you have to install the PC version on your OS drive. Really annoying.

However, the game is good and he most I've enjoyed a snow game since SSX Tricky. The snowboarding is solid and tricks are easy to pull off once you get speed and height. The skiing is very fast and there's a lot of fun in racing headfirst into a bunch of trees and seeing if you make it through. I've had several epic wipeouts. My favorite was when I nearly pulled off a double flip forward on the skis only to hit a snow bank face first and make a snow angel out of my wracked body.

The variety of things to do is probably the highlight. A mix of racing, stunts and exploring.

My one knock is that a lot of the licensed music sounds like Imagine Dragons even though its not. I just hate that heavily produced made-for-teen-drama pop rock sound.You can't turn off individual tracks either.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30954 on: March 25, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
Mini Doom II. Free Doom-as-a-platformer. Pretty good stuff. Need to git a bit gud-er at the section I'm in
wow they should hire this guy to help Dudebro II

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30955 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
Has anyone ever figured out a set up to play with Dualshock (1/2/3/4 or bootleg versions) on N64 games on emulators and not have it seem awkward as shit. Fucking Nintendo and their baby block controllers ruining future emulation for 22 years.
Well I guess I kind of meant traditional style controllers, which would include 360/Xbone as well. You know, none trident shaped controllers.
I have always just mapped the c-buttons to the right analog as a starting point (and felt justified when Nintendo did the same for the Cube), and then if there's two of the c-buttons the game uses more often put them on Y/B or triangle/circle. Then Z on usually the left trigger so it's under the analog stick like originally. The exception being games, like fighters or something, where the c-buttons are action buttons and I stick them up top, you can usually get away with sticking the L button somewhere random that you might press once since a lot of games try to avoid it or it duplicates a function.

The GameCube can also be a bit of a pain, mostly for Nintendo titles because everyone else often just copied their dual shock controls (which sucked on the original because of that c-stick), mainly due to how they center things around the giant A button so much, and how you want to put the Z button on back/select because the Cube's triggers have the two states, analog and then the click button underneath, and some games use both features so you need all your top buttons to fake it. Though I've since decided that you're probably better off remapping the entire arrangement for select games, like MP, like putting shoot up on a trigger.

Actually, there's N64 games where you probably want to do that too now that I think about it, like the original Turok which has no controller customization options. And your movement is on the c-buttons.

At times it's easier to map Wiimote games to a 360 controller, especially if their waggle is just simple motions you can map to a button since you have a ton of extra ones. Like Mario Galaxy is pretty easy to mostly play using your mouse for the few times you need a pointer because a lot of the other moves you need are just shakes or whatever which Dolphin can fake on a button. NSMBW is just those motions so you can play it with anything. I admit to having considered one of those wireless $6 sensor bars though. (because i would feel weirder plugging in my wii just to use the sensor bar :doge) I already spent $3 on a chinese usb bluetooth thing to use my wiimote but I'm not made of money!!

I have a feeling someone has already gone about and written some kind of script or something that automatically sets up every N64/GCN game for you like this in some way. Or at least for anything obscure and from Japan and likely not in English. Especially if it involves Pachinko.

Coax

« Reply #30956 on: March 25, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
wow they should hire this guy to help Dudebro II

Could reach peak title crossover. Doomed Bro: My Game Is Straight-up Never Coming Out Dawg II

:playa

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #30957 on: March 25, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
Picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC for a decent price. I played it a bit on X1 but never finished it. I don't remember why exactly but I'm really enjoying it on the second play. Plus it really good, even though the cutscenes don't play in ultrawide for some reason

kingv

« Reply #30958 on: March 26, 2018, 01:03:41 AM »
Is the inputblag still there On pc? I beat it on Xbox, but it was terrible because of that.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #30959 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
No that's definitely gone now. The game feels much better to play. Also I didn't realize the version they are selling now comes with all the DLC, not a bad deal for $20