Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558591 times)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32340 on: December 27, 2018, 02:33:37 AM »
reunited with my ps4 and about 15-20 hours into persona 5. lots to like; it looks great, seems to have been influenced by the world ends with you stylistically in a lot of places and the palaces so far have been fun. on the other hand, the non-dungeon part of the game feels even more like a visual novel you're clicking through until you can run around a bit

Bebpo

« Reply #32341 on: December 27, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »
On AC Origins cleared Siwa and unlocked the ability to go everywhere, so started going around the map exploring and unlocking fast travel points and then got to the lake before Alexandria (and walked around Alexandria a bit. Pretty cool stuff. I also started the History Tour because it weirds me out playing an AC game with no database at all so I don't know anything about these places I'm going through in the game. The history guided tour mode is really neat. I enjoyed the Siwa Oasis tour and did some other tours too.

The only thing that bugs me a little is some areas on the map have zero fast travel points wtf, like I get certain segments are empty with nothing in them but they still usually have a couple ? items so you'd think putting at least one fast travel in each map segment would be nice. Also on the history tour there's usually like no information about those areas. I guess it's a combination on not much in certain areas and being long ago not much is known about them. Still small stuff, rest of the game is pretty good. I like the main guy and story and climbing and exploring and questing. The stealth honestly seems like the weakest part which is kinda funny since it's AC. Bows are really overpowerd and with the eagle view you can pretty much move around dodging stuff and if you have to fight it's not a big deal especially when you're higher level than the enemies.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #32342 on: December 28, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
WoW  :lol

I haven't really played much since poking my head into WoD on some trial, but it was pretty busted and was into FFXIV...it didn't really catch my attention.

the new one BfA I have heard is kinda shit, but was 20$ and came with lvl 110  boost...didn't remember how to play or that my character was lvl 94...figured i could run through the rest of the WoD zones and then go through Legion, which I have heard is good. Then plan is to use boost on an alliance character if I still cared.

WoD was pretty eh, but some cool stuff. I have no idea wtf I am doing, but it's neat to look around. Got to the Legion opening last night, gear is a mess, working on some mechanic that was dropped in new expansion. Still, new Dalaran is nice, and will keep going for a bit.

Svejk

« Reply #32343 on: December 28, 2018, 12:02:59 PM »
Been dabbling with the PSVR I got earlier this week.  Wipeout has finally reached the awesome level it deserves with Wipeout Omega!  :anhuld  :lawd :lawd :lawd   
Hoping to finally try some RE7 tonight.  Totally loving this thing so far.  Still got Moss, Astrobot and Raw Data to try out too on top of the plethora of demos.
Sorry AC Odyssey... you're too damn long of a game...  gonna take a break from it to jack into the Matrix for awhile.

Bebpo

« Reply #32344 on: December 29, 2018, 03:27:23 AM »
Picked up and started playing 11-11 Memories Retold after reading a thread on Era about how it's great and made some site's best game of 2018 and no one has ever heard of it and it had like a max simultaneous users of 27 people total on steam. Was supposed to be like Valiant Hearts (which I loved).

Sounded super hipsters-ish in that artsy awesome game no one's heard of way, so right up my alley.

Anyhow, yeah it's great! They even got Elijah Wood to VA one of the 2 main characters. Really nice interactive narrative game that brings the feels. Very pretty, great music and somber and depressing WW1 tale about normal people in an awful war like Valiant Hearts. If you like that kinda stuff, highly recommend for the $18 it is during the steam sale. It's $30 on PS4/XBX with no discount too.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32345 on: December 29, 2018, 06:16:12 AM »
Mass Effect 4

I think this is... *not* a bad game after all. Full of technical fuck ups but a good, sci-fi RPG underneath. So far 8/10 and not 4/10 as the media said.

I mean if you are longing for a sci-fi RPG and are also a fan of Mass Effect - you really can't go bad with this installment.
See, I told you it was pretty good.

I know my vidya  :smug :patel

You can tell from playing it that the developers put a lot of care into the game. Even though they had to struggle with the engine.
However, Mass Effect 1 hand plenty of issues too and so did Mass Effect 2 and 3. I would say Mass Effect 2 is the  most 'perfect' of them all.

Issues in Mass Effect 1 were braindead AI, mediocre level design, the cover system was wonky and overall the third person action gameplay was undercooked.
However, we looked all past that because it was such a unique and exciting game. In Mass Effect 2 we had some bad character models but overall it was the most balanced of the three.
Mass Effect 3 bare bones is quite a linear experience. Some of the coolest stuff such as the Leviathan and Shadow Broker is DLC but those are bite size Mass Effect experiences.

In any case if there's one thing I hate about #GamerCulture is that those fucking idiots killed sci-fi RPG's by treating Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Mass Effect: Andromeda unfairly.
Had I known that Mass Efffect: Andromeda wasn't as bad as everyone said I would've picked it up earlier. Granted, they did have to fix the animations with a patch or two but that came out fairly quickly I remember correctly.

"This Dest... [crash] Destiny [loading] Destiny [patching] Destiny [syncing] thing is GOTY" 9/10
"The new Deus Ex is more of the same" 7/10  :-\
"WOW this stuttering COD: REMAKE that somehow looks worse than it did on Xbox 360 is fucking crazy brehs" 10/10  :o

There's some talk that HALO: Infinite will be a first person RPG like experience. Hopefully those rumors pan out.  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:28:48 AM by Nintex »
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #32346 on: December 29, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
Those Valkyries are awesome. Try, die, repeat for 3 hours with over 50 deaths to finally succeed? Dark Souls is back!

I've wasted a couple of unnecessary hours on the last one, because the game's crappy convoluted menu/equipment system made me completely forget that they buried an "one time revival" spell somewhere.

Still, valkyries/sidemissions >>>>>>>>>>>>> main story.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32347 on: December 29, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Mass Effect 4

I think this is... *not* a bad game after all. Full of technical fuck ups but a good, sci-fi RPG underneath. So far 8/10 and not 4/10 as the media said.

I mean if you are longing for a sci-fi RPG and are also a fan of Mass Effect - you really can't go bad with this installment.

You can tell from playing it that the developers put a lot of care into the game. Even though they had to struggle with the engine.
However, Mass Effect 1 hand plenty of issues too and so did Mass Effect 2 and 3. I would say Mass Effect 2 is the  most 'perfect' of them all.

Issues in Mass Effect 1 were braindead AI, mediocre level design, the cover system was wonky and overall the third person action gameplay was undercooked.
However, we looked all past that because it was such a unique and exciting game. In Mass Effect 2 we had some bad character models but overall it was the most balanced of the three.
Mass Effect 3 bare bones is quite a linear experience. Some of the coolest stuff such as the Leviathan and Shadow Broker is DLC but those are bite size Mass Effect experiences.

In any case if there's one thing I hate about #GamerCulture is that those fucking idiots killed sci-fi RPG's by treating Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Mass Effect: Andromeda unfairly.
Had I known that Mass Efffect: Andromeda wasn't as bad as everyone said I would've picked it up earlier. Granted, they did have to fix the animations with a patch or two but that came out fairly quickly I remember correctly.

"This Dest... [crash] Destiny [loading] Destiny [patching] Destiny [syncing] thing is GOTY" 9/10
"WOW this stuttering COD: REMAKE that somehow looks worse than it did on Xbox 360 is fucking crazy brehs" 10/10  :o

There's some talk that HALO: Infinite will be a first person RPG like experience. Hopefully those rumors pan out.  :)

Oh come on Nintex, the writing is garbage in Andromeda.

Maybe you sorta liked it but you are not convincing me this game is good.

*GamerCulture* killed Deus Ex and Mass Effect?

Nahh, Square Enix killed Deus Ex because you can't have too many microtransactions in a game like that, and also it sold like shit. Let's be honest, the second game isn't as good as the previous one either.

Andromeda looked like a piece of shit from day one, still lot of people bought it I think, Mass Effect fans. But giving their best franchise to an inexperienced team, so that they could work on Anthem was a massive failure.

Fuck that " Gamer Culture is ruining games wehhhhhhhhhh" crying shit. Make a good game, it'll sell. Make a shit game, it'll get trashed.
What

kingv

« Reply #32348 on: December 29, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Didn’t mass effect 1 basically just have the same combat system as KOTOR just not Star Wars.

I like that combat system the best, actually. The cover shooter shit in 2 and 3 always just seemed like a really mediocre imitation of pure action games.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32349 on: December 29, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
ME4 definitely isn't terrible, but the huge world maps were still kinda meh, it's supposed to be this whole new galaxy full of new characters and races but they play everything so safe, at launch [when I played it] it was kind of a mess, and a lot of the game just isn't very memorable. Now, those things could have been mostly forgiven in time, but EA stepped in almost immediately and killed the whole franchise off because it didn't make $100 billion.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32350 on: December 29, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
Mass Effect 4

Oh come on Nintex, the writing is garbage in Andromeda.

Maybe you sorta liked it but you are not convincing me this game is good.

*GamerCulture* killed Deus Ex and Mass Effect?

Nahh, Square Enix killed Deus Ex because you can't have too many microtransactions in a game like that, and also it sold like shit. Let's be honest, the second game isn't as good as the previous one either.

Andromeda looked like a piece of shit from day one, still lot of people bought it I think, Mass Effect fans. But giving their best franchise to an inexperienced team, so that they could work on Anthem was a massive failure.

Fuck that " Gamer Culture is ruining games wehhhhhhhhhh" crying shit. Make a good game, it'll sell. Make a shit game, it'll get trashed.
Those one year later videos fucking suck.

I watched one about Mass Effect 1 yesterday. Thinking it would be a nice trip down nostalgia lane. But he just moans about the combat system being shitty.
The game not looking very good graphically and overall trashes it. The same time could be spend actually playing and enjoying the game.

Had a discussion about this with my bro. Ever notice how YouTubers/Twitch streamers trash a game and then sink 100 hours into it themselves on their streams even though they say they hate it and it is unplayable?
If you play games yourself you're not watching their dumb videos or streams so they keep you trapped into not buying games but instead watching them play games instead.

Half of 'gaming opinions' these days is not people talking about their own experiences with the game (because they haven't played or bought it anyway) but simply linking to some YouTube idiot.

The Micro transactions in the game play no role in progression. I've played the game fine without making use of any of them. Sure Square Enix dropped the ball with the marketing but most reviews panned it for not changing much over the previous game.
But it was different in many ways.

Mass Effect: Andromeda has its problems but you can still enjoy it. It is overall just 'more Mass Effect' and as Great Rumbler put it at times they played it very safe. Should it have been better at launch? Absolutely.
But this game was not treated fairly when it came out. The 'fun' the community had with the game was trashing it. Some time after release they've patched a bunch of things, the 4K update looks really nice and the game is worth a second look as it is cheap anyway.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32351 on: December 29, 2018, 02:32:34 PM »
That's just it though, you don't need to play entire games to judge them yourself. You never had and you never will. We all grew up reading reviews in magazines, and sure ofcourse there are outliers for games that are just shitty, or reviews that aren't aligned to your own personal tastes.

In some cases a review will trash a game, I remember a early dutch magazine called Power Unlimited gave Super Mario Kart for the SNES a 6.5 (LOL) which I thought was one of the best games on that system.

But in a lot of cases, there are plenty of genuine Mass Effect fans that have been dissapointed in the series after 3's ending. Now I personally haven't played Mass Effect 3, only the first two games. But I consider them interesting space opera rpg games where the dialogue and the choices are more interesting than the shooting mechanics. Mind you, I never wanted them to focus more on combat, but more on building your own story. When I heard a lot of fans were not satisfied with 3, I decided just to keep it at that. I had fond memories of the first two games and have replayed them over the years, but never had much interest to play 3.

The next Bioware game I played after that was Dragon Age Inquisition. Now that was a truly boring game. It put me to sleep multiple times. I played up until I fought a dragon in the desert.. it was supposed to be this exciting battle I presume, but it was mind numbingly boring. So many boring fetch quests, the story wasn't at all interesting and even though the zones were allright, there was no sense of discovery of finding something cool if I just explored a little more.

Then Mass Effect Andromeda came out, and ofcourse when it launched it wasn't in a decent state. So many bugs, and the writing seemed a serious problem as well. Also there was only one real new species? Even though it's in an entirely different galaxy? Hmmk.

I'm sure the combat is enjoyable but I honestly have no will or desire to sit through another 60 hours of mediocre Bioware fetch quests, and sit through a mediocre story with mildly interesting characters. There are so many damn good games to play right now, in my backlog there are still over 400 games that deserve a playthrough. So I really can't be arsed to spend 6 euro's and play it myself. In that case I'd rather look at a few different reviews from genuine fans of the genre or game, and say you know what this probably isn't worth my time.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32352 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »

Mass Effect 4

The Micro transactions in the game play no role in progression. I've played the game fine without making use of any of them. Sure Square Enix dropped the ball with the marketing but most reviews panned it for not changing much over the previous game.

But this game was not treated fairly when it came out. The 'fun' the community had with the game was trashing it. Some time after release they've patched a bunch of things, the 4K update looks really nice and the game is worth a second look as it is cheap anyway.

Yeah it was different in many ways, it was way more boring than the first game. Adam Jensen was even more of an unrelatable douche than ever before. And the beginning of the story is garbage. Not only that, Prague is way less of an interesting hub world than the first game had. Only Golem City was cool, but you don't stay there forever.

And Andromeda was treated fairly when it came out. For an AAA title, a sequel to a trilogy that many had been waiting on for years, was shoved out of the door before it was ready. It required multiple patches and fixes to the buggy animation to fix things that should not have been overlooked. It had so many bugs people could get stuck and not progress.

But I'm sure the game was not treated fairly by :drudge TOXIC GAMING CULTURE :drudge
What

Himu

« Reply #32353 on: December 29, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
Wtf is all this text?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32354 on: December 29, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #32355 on: December 29, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
Beat the main A-side game of Celeste phew. On Stage 7 the Summit the hardest section was again the windy section. That shit is so tough! I got pretty used to the feather controls by the end. Got a decent amount of Strawberries and started on the B-sides and fuckkkkk the B-sides are pretty evil, especially by chapter 2 with the vortex blocks you dash through and jump out of. The ridiculously tight precision needed for B-side coupled with Switch's largest input lag of the 3 main consoles + pro controllers shitty d-pad made them waaaaay harder than I think they really are. Still not as hard as the final stage of Tetris Effect though!

I'm probably gonna call it good at this point and have thoroughly enjoyed the game. Doing more b-sides on the switch is just gonna be too draining, so gonna bail out now and watch a youtube of the secret world you get for beating at least 4 b-sides.

Probably my favorite straight up platformer since SMB and vvvvvv. Very good game!

kingv

« Reply #32356 on: December 29, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
Kind of weird that switch has the highest input lag.

Theoretically, I would think handheld switch has at least the potential to have the lowest input lag.

Bebpo

« Reply #32357 on: December 29, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
Yeah I think handheld fares a lot better but I play on a tv :'(

Cryo

« Reply #32358 on: December 29, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »
yeah I'm not really a big fan of the pro controller d-pad which sucks because that was definitely one of the reasons I wanted a controller  :'(

do any of the mods online actually help prevent it from triggering unintended directions?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32359 on: December 30, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »

Mass Effect 4

Yeah it was different in many ways, it was way more boring than the first game. Adam Jensen was even more of an unrelatable douche than ever before. And the beginning of the story is garbage. Not only that, Prague is way less of an interesting hub world than the first game had. Only Golem City was cool, but you don't stay there forever.
The hub world was amazing. My bro went to the GDC talk because it was designed so well and everyone there was floored by the in-depth look at how they had built it.
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/292786/Level_design_lessons_learned_building_Deus_Ex_Mankind_Divideds_Prague.php
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024502/A-City-of-a-Thousand

Others have also praised this incredible area over the years

There was so much to do and to discover in a relatively tiny space. Great characters, interesting interactions and storylines and of course the Bank which is one of the best Deus Ex environments ever made.
And then we're not even talking about the art. Holy shit, this game was beautiful.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #32360 on: December 30, 2018, 08:04:53 PM »
About 1/3 of the way through RE7 going full VR.  I can't believe how much this game feels like good ol' RE.  Well done, Slapcom. 

RE7 and Astrobot... those 2 games alone are worth the price of admission for PSVR, imo.  Simply awesome. 

Himu

« Reply #32361 on: December 31, 2018, 12:48:24 AM »

This game owns. This is me playing it. I was kind of struggling getting the objective in this map. I love this map. The music OWNS. The characters own. The difficulty is balanced and it's just fun as fuck and *licks fingers* I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRVVVV it. This game fixes so much wrong with SW4 OG. Funnest Musou since WO3 for me. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!! :hyper
IYKYK

Cryo

« Reply #32362 on: December 31, 2018, 04:19:17 AM »
My biggest gripe about ME4, besides the blatant colonialism vibes, was how much the game just tried to mimic mass effect 1 while many times being worse or just not fixing whatever it aped. I’m sure the fact that what we played was only created with a fraction of its overall dev time played a strong role in this, but it made the game quite un enjoyable to go back to. Nearly everything about all aspects of the interface and menus were rage inducing.

I have an embarrassing amount of hours in ME3 multiplayer and it was also disappointing how the post-launch support was handled. I think I stopped playing for good right before the balance update that finally put powers mildly on par with gunplay, but even then it didn’t last long before fizzling out almost entirely due to the devs being moved off.

Cryo

« Reply #32363 on: December 31, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32364 on: December 31, 2018, 06:33:06 AM »
With Mass Effect 4 it seems that they under developed some aspects and over cooked others.

The materials system doesn't need to be this complicated. Same goes for the Mining/Research/Development systems.
It is nice to have those systems in there but they don't add much to the game.
Outpost building is nice but apart from establishing outposts and doing missions for the colonists there's not much you can do.

In some parts of the game the developers aren't even sure how to handle the systems they've created. Take finding objects for example.
In certain missions you have to physically pick-up objects with Y, in others scanning is enough.
But there's no real reason why mushroom A should be plucked and mushroom B scanned.

As far as the setting goes. It seems like they had to tick a bunch of boxes like Krogan/Asari/Turians and other fan favorites playing their parts.
The Jungle planet you mentioned does look interesting design wise. Especially the chasm can look both haunting and massive.
Now imagine if they put a Remnant Architect fight into that chasm instead of hiding those fights away in random side missions.

They also haven't really upped the stakes. Shortages of water, food and a previous mutiny are mentioned but there isn't any 'physical' evidence of this aboard the Nexus.
For example having a time limit for quests such as finding the missing Arks or other species would've added some real consequences to your actions. 
Say that you only get to save either the Turians or Asari, you would have to make a hard choice.
Or after you've raided the Kett Exhaltation plant on Voeld you'd have to decide which crew member stays behind (and dies) to cover the retreat of everyone else.
After Mass Effect 2's suicide mission I was hoping the series would overall do more with meaningful choices of the player.
Now it feels like those TV shows where you know that certain characters can't die because of the plot or contracts and you'll always get to an happy ending no matter what.

That's one thing that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided also does well. Killing the wrong person will set off a chain off events that blocks you from doing certain sidequests but may open other quests and routes.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #32365 on: December 31, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
I think underdeveloped superfluous systems is a hallmark of BioWare games. They all have it.

DAI had that real time board thing. And I feel like ME2 and 3 had stuff too, whether it was scanning planets or the side stories system, or all the meters to measure the affinity of characters in 2. Like they give the appearance of depth, but they are really only skin deep.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32366 on: December 31, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
Here's Jason Scherier's article on the many issues Andromeda ran into during its five years in development: https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428
Pre-production on Mass Effect: Andromeda was a tale of two cities. Several people from the team described 2013 as one of the best years of their professional lives and 2014 as one of the worst. Whereas 2013 was full of possibilities for the developers of Andromeda, 2014 was full of politics. Conflicts emerged between BioWare staffers at the company’s two main studios, in Edmonton and Montreal. Developers in Edmonton said they thought the game was floundering in pre-production and didn’t have a strong enough vision, while developers in Montreal thought that Edmonton was trying to sabotage them, taking ideas and staff from Montreal for its own projects, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dylan. By the end of 2014 at least a dozen people had left BioWare Montreal for other studios, and it wasn’t clear to the remaining staff whether those positions would be replaced. The animation team in particular was understaffed, sources said, and when people left, their positions sometimes weren’t refilled.
(Dylan becoming Anthem)

I know I make fun of him in the dumpster thread and he deserves it probably for the dumb forum stuff, but in the case of these longform development pieces that he's made his wheelhouse, they are actually well done journalism, and he deserves the praise.

BikeJesus

« Reply #32367 on: January 01, 2019, 01:27:32 AM »
I picked up Gears 4 on PC since it was only 7 bucks Canadian on cdkeys. 133GB? Give me a break. I'm not paying for Xbox Live Gold so let me just install the single player. I guess I'll play it tomorrow. The place I work burned down this week so I have about 4 months off to waste away and play videogames.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32368 on: January 01, 2019, 02:12:22 AM »
The place I work burned down this week
Finally had enough of them moving you further into the basement huh?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32369 on: January 01, 2019, 11:28:42 PM »
About to take on Mordegon's castle in DQ11, then of course there's the postgame chapter. Close to 80 hours in the game now. I'll be at Magfest this weekend so I'm sure I'll be playing a ton of stuff there too.
^_^

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32370 on: January 02, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »
put a few more hours into persona 5 and not sure if i'm still in the tutorial phase of the game? feels a lot more restricted compared to the p3 and p4, or maybe it just feels that way because i was playing yakuza right before starting this

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32371 on: January 02, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »
Hmm Jungle planet might be the planet where Bioware started cutting corners.
After some questing to restore it a few additional NPC's are send down but no outpost is established.

Which is kinda weird because the 'problem' this planet has isn't as severe as the other 2 planets I've already colonized.
When you enter it the entire crew is like: "WOW, this planet is so great, never thought we'd find such a suitable planet!"

Planet 1: Radiated wasteland, colonization failed twice -> This holds promise, let's start an outpost!
Planet 2: Ice planet -> You know, this is really cold and infested with enemies but we can harvest water here!
Planet 3: Jungle planet with some mutated bioforms but no radiation or other hazards -> How about we skip this one!

It would've made sense to make planet 3 the food planet.

Ah well, 2 planets(?) left to go.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32372 on: January 02, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
put a few more hours into persona 5 and not sure if i'm still in the tutorial phase of the game? feels a lot more restricted compared to the p3 and p4, or maybe it just feels that way because i was playing yakuza right before starting this

P5 takes forever to start. Its very forced too, until you unlock the ability to go outside at night.
fat

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32373 on: January 02, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »

P5 takes forever to start. Its very forced too, until you unlock the ability to go outside at night.
i just got to the point where i can do that but doesn't feel like the game has opened up noticeably. morgana stopping me from doing anything if you into mementos is pissing me off too; like i'm too tired to do a crossword but taking care of a plant and organising my shelf is fine?? fuck you you fucking cat fuck

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32374 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »

You probably are! Have you done the first castle yet?
What

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32375 on: January 02, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »

You probably are! Have you done the first castle yet?
yeah i'm almost done with the third palace now. fused an orpheus and izanagi and given how easy it is to ambush i'm kinda steamrolling enemies on normal

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32376 on: January 02, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
Persona 5 really took the pacing problems from the prior entries and were like "We COULD fix that. Or. OR how's about we make them worse?!"

I like Persona but I felt 5 was a let down, I never even finished it because it just got too tedious.

Been replaying Castlevania: SOTN after Rondo of Blood I was surprised how easy the non-inverted castle was. Nothing really gave me any real issues. But I forgot the difficulty spike when you get to the inverted castle. Not really as hard as Rondo of Blood, but still a substantial step up from the first half of the game and all of the sudden. I thought I'd get back to it and find it hadn't aged well or that the nostalgia goggles were in full effect. But actually, I'm still surprised by the amount of polish in the game (outside of cinematics and voice acting). Sure other games have done it better since but it's one of those rare games I get to and just want to play and play and play.
que

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32377 on: January 02, 2019, 06:32:49 PM »
I had never played a Persona game before and thought it was the best JRPG I played in a long long time
What

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32378 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:34 AM »
I had never played a Persona game before and thought it was the best JRPG I played in a long long time
oh man you should definitely try and play p3 and p4 if you don't mind 60+ hours long jrpgs

paprikastaude

« Reply #32379 on: January 03, 2019, 05:50:14 AM »
meh, go straight to SMT3 and Strange Journey (DS version)  :nothot
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:58:55 AM by Spieler1 »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32380 on: January 03, 2019, 05:56:58 AM »
 :bow nocturne :bow2 although its approach to story telling is almost a 180 from persona 3/4/5

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32381 on: January 03, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
oh man you should definitely try and play p3 and p4 if you don't mind 60+ hours long jrpgs

Yeah I tried P4 through an emu but it just didnt grab me as 5 did. Going back to those old ass graphics certainly didnt help

Oh yeah. SMT Nocturne grabbed me, and I love that game, but I got stuck in Kabarucho prison and dont know the way out!!!!!!
What

Himu

« Reply #32382 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »
I love persona so much I was nicknamed Himusona in these parts and even I didn’t finish P5 because it was so bad.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32383 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
So bad compared to what exactly?

The music and combat are leagues above many a jrpg of the past few years.

Sure it has it's annoyences like Morgana being a bitch and not letting me do what I want but eh
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32384 on: January 03, 2019, 02:10:39 PM »
Mass Effect 4 is quite good on the 4th planet. I am finally shooting Krogans and Turians and shit :rock None of this Kett/ Remnant nonsense :yuck
Yeah, I also just got to the Kadara port ready to enter the badlands.

The whole locale was bad ass with pirates running the place, drug addicts everywhere and a bounty hunter/smuggler who wants to team up plough my FemRyder.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32385 on: January 03, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »
I love persona so much I was nicknamed Himusona in these parts and even I didn’t finish P5 because it was so bad.

It’s the best Persona of 3-5 tho...

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32386 on: January 03, 2019, 05:22:46 PM »
So bad compared to what exactly?

The music and combat are leagues above many a jrpg of the past few years.

Sure it has it's annoyences like Morgana being a bitch and not letting me do what I want but eh
Well, let me explain why it's a lame game.
First, you have mementos which is pretty uninspired for a dungeon and the obvious twist waiting for you and the worst thing? Is that that game
que

Himu

« Reply #32387 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:16 AM »

Nah
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32388 on: January 04, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
From what Ive played of 4 ( which is only like the dungeon where you try to save yuki or something so the bath house  is where I stopped ), the music in p5 is a big step up. The characters are also more interesting. Morgana is a better character than that talking teddybear or whatever. He was annoying af. With his high pitched voice.

Also the specific palaces i  p5 > randomly generated samey dungeons from p4
What

Himu

« Reply #32389 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »
I prefer 3.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32390 on: January 04, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
3 is def a lot cooler than 4. From what Ive played of it I prefer the psp version I think. Because you cant control your teammates on the ps2? Something like that.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32391 on: January 04, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
Mass Effect 4 is quite good on the 4th planet. I am finally shooting Krogans and Turians and shit :rock None of this Kett/ Remnant nonsense :yuck

The whole locale was bad ass with pirates running the place, drug addicts everywhere and a bounty hunter/smuggler who wants to team up plough my FemRyder.

I'm deep into Kadara and it's the best planet in ME4, period. On par with best of ME1 and ME2. The real ME4 starts here.
You were right. Some crazy shit going on here including
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Canibalism
[close]
  :o
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32392 on: January 04, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
Picked up Kingdom Hearts - The Story So Far and played through the island section for probably like the 5th or 6th time in my life. I've never made it past the Alice in Wonderland level in KH1, however. Maybe this time will be different.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32393 on: January 04, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
What

kingv

« Reply #32394 on: January 04, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »

I'm deep into Kadara and it's the best planet in ME4, period. On par with best of ME1 and ME2. The real ME4 starts here.
You were right. Some crazy shit going on here including
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Canibalism
[close]
  :o

Ass eating doesn’t count!

Freyj

« Reply #32395 on: January 05, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
I loved Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona 3 and 4 and found 5 to be mostly tedious and uninteresting. It’s definitely a refinement of the skeleton setup in 3 and 4 but way less compelling somehow.

I played P3P about 4 years ago now but need to play P4G but man the dialogue in P5 is just so insubstantially verbose.

The dungeons and gameplay are more varied and involved but if I’m being completely honest I’d rather just be traversing Tartarus between the two.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32396 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
Maybe this time will be different.

:ufup

I've made to the Tarzan Land, that's as far as I've ever been in this game. Maybe I just needed to experience the game the way Nomura-sama meant it to be played, in 4K/60fps with the power of the PS4 Pro.
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #32397 on: January 05, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »
Professor Layton 3 - I already know the biggest twist, but the story is still engaging enough. As with other games, gameplay doesn't start out too bad, until some hours later when I start dreading touching anything in expectation of a new poorly explained geometry puzzle.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:44:15 AM by Spieler1 »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32398 on: January 06, 2019, 04:42:53 AM »

while i'm not finding it as bad as cindi and intend to finish it, unless it really picks up it's not better than either p3 or p4. it gets so caught up in trying to be smart in the writing and story it seems to forget it's a game at times

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32399 on: January 06, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
Got Celeste on Xbone Games with Gold. Great game!

Why did the hotel ghost guy have a Japanese name though? Fuckin weebs