Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3598802 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32160 on: November 22, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Played a few games lately...

Battle Garegga - you know, aside from the incredible soundtrack, this game is kinda weak. Mainly because of pixel-thin bullets that are almost impossible to discern from the backgrounds.

DQXI - not too far but this is already looking good. I can see Cindi's points on how it's a bit beginner-friendly (with the red ! indicating important NPCs to talk to) but it's not hurting my enjoyment. Really nice, sprawling towns. I have to go to a tomb and get a red orb so still not too far, but I have a 4 day weekend so I'll put in some serious time :rock

Tetris Effect - it's Tetris, plus Mizuguchi... exactly what I expected. I don't like how the camera is zoomed too far away as a default, and fuck the DOLPHIN  :punch :punch :punch stage, but still a lot of fun!
^_^

Himu

« Reply #32161 on: November 22, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
Battle Garegga is ok. I don’t get why it was so coveted.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32162 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »
People who repeat the hide and seek game never understood Majora's Mask to begin with  :doge

Himu

« Reply #32163 on: November 22, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
???

You literally have to repeat it because they will not give you the bomber book in Deku form. Only the boss gives the bomber book and the first cycle you cannot turn human. So you have to repeat it all over again to get the book this time in human form.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32164 on: November 22, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
It's groundhog day, just go there and type in the same code (i.e. five numbers lol) again  :wtf People with zero knowledge about the game might be caught offguard, but even then, it's a good moment to teach the dynamic of the game world and mechanics. Keeping knowledge to explore where you can alter or find loopholes in the timeline.

Also, precise timeskipping was the only gameplay improvement needed, but not even that badly. The moments of bad waiting boil down to very few (final boss, Kafei ending). Because unlike Shenmue, there actually is things to do and there's actual value in finding out what NPCs are doing. No way one discovered everything before the endgame, there's too much to see in the whole cycle. What the game wasn't about though is turning the once organic world into an Ubisoft checklist for dumbs and aggressive handhold-NPCs spoiling events.  :yuck
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 03:53:47 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #32165 on: November 22, 2018, 06:03:53 PM »
Wrong.

I used the code on the kid the other day while trying out the n64 version as Link and was not given a book. I got the moon tear twice and that required me to go through the hideout and I didn’t get a book. In order for me to get it I had to play hide and seek again. It’s why Nintendo gave you the book instantly to begin with in MM3d. edit correction: looking on wiki pages, apparently you're right. Maybe I gave the code as Deku Link accidentally. Doesn't change the below at all.

Even then, MM requires you to do things over. This is a part of its structure. In MM3D, I beat Snowhead but was on day 3. Got the gold dust from the baby but couldn’t upgrade my sword of course. So I went back in time, best Goht again to get the gold dust (and it takes forever to beat him in the 3d version. I don’t remember it taking as long in the n64 version). Had to buy another damn powder keg. Blow up the rock. Win that stupid, crappy race. Again.Get the gold dust. Oh but you require the adult wallet to get the sword because he needs 100 rupees and not 99. So I got 150 rupees on two separate trips outside town. Got the wallet. Soared to the sword maker. Used song ofntime twice.Got me a gilded sword.

Why not have something for me to store the gold dust so I can store it and then use of song of time? Oh, but that would be logical wouldn’t it?

Because you do not get to put items in an inventory to keep for new cycles (dumb design decision given you have a way to keep rupees), repetition is going to be an inevitability and this is something you must accept.

Orrrrr you could continue to pretend MM is perfect.

Busy work.

And this is coming from someone who is a fan of and has beaten MM.

And I think having a way to keep track of quests is fine. Reducing it to an Ubisoft checklist is bizarre and reaching. It’s no different than an (actual) wrpg quest list.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:51:30 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32166 on: November 22, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
Done with Thief: Deadly Shadows. Enjoyed it, again. Despite all the obvious shortcomings brought on by leading on Xbox. Retained its identity much better than Deus Ex: Invisible War, the other franchise that was put into a coma in the same generation. If only Thief had been successfully revived, too. :/

Wall of text from my notes that nobody should care about:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
--- The one thing I really didn't appreciate and only partially can be blamed on the Xbox are Garrett's animations. They make traversal unreliable and clunky, whether you're using a controller or a keyboard. You can't just play, you constantly have to keep its quirks and limitations in mind, especially when mantling. By the end, I had even learned different means of unfucking a recurring bug that would leave Garrett stuck in a falling animation.
- The animation problems become painfully apparent in one of the first proper missions (the Pagan compound), due to a very large amount of complex geometry.
+ On the upside: head-attached cameras are rad, as is being able to look down at your body.
- Head-attached cameras are not so rad when they don't account for digital input. The camera is really jerky as a result.
+ Thankfully it's not nearly as noticeable when you're creeping, which is most of the time.
++ Dynamic shadows! Actual shadows, period.
- Difficulty levels no longer gate meaningful content within missions. Expert just means extra loot requirements, and more perceptive enemies. Completely understandable that they didn't want to waste resources on furnishing big parts of levels that many people may never see, but still.
- Papyrus font.
+ Combined lightgem and compass into one.
- Lockpicking minigame.
- Levels are markedly smaller than T2's. Which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't also have load zones, bc Xbox RAM.
- They decided to go from mission-based to hub-based when it was obvious the city would have to be cut up into several pieces, making traversal tedious. Load times were OK on PC, now, dunno what they were like on Xbox though. Too early/wrong lead platform to make this switch.
+ The city is nice, considering. And it pays off well in the finale.
++ All of your gear carries over between missions, which encourages you to use it carefully and/or look for more goodies in missions.
- You can't not be rich if you play on Expert, so the above is kind of moot. Might be true on lower difficulties as well.
- Some area transitions within the city can be very unfair, due to guards patrolling very close to load zones.
- Guards recognize and attack you on sight. Regular folk do not, wanted posters notwithstanding. Makes no sense.
- Loot inside the city respawns. Makes sense for water and moss arrows, not so much for jewelry.
+ You can eventually befriend both the Hammerites and Pagans, after which they leave you alone in the city. Comes in very useful around the mid-game, when they will even fight on your side.
- Zombies are back, but...
+ ...they don't constantly moan and retch. And they're fast now, i.e. somewhat dangerous.
-- No swimming whatsoever. Garrett dies on contact with the water. That means no underwater entrances or secrets.
- Another grave sin for old-timers: no rope arrows. (I don't mind as much.)
~ Replaced by climbing gloves, which allow you to scale any brick wall. More options are welcome, but the conceit is somehow dumber than rope arrows. And you look like Spider-Man using them.
- Leaning is completely worthless since you can switch into 3d person. Not only can you then see all the way around a corner, but you remain completely safe doing so. Dunno why 3rd person is even in the game, other than them adding it just because, as they'd already modeled his body for first person animations.
+ AI notices opened doors, missing guards and even missing loot.
- They are not very alarmed by this. Not for very long, anyway. And they are still pretty damn dumb, even on Expert. (But then that's all stealth games, and kinda sorta have to be, I guess...)
~ You can flatten yourself against a wall to hide even better. Said to break the game, but it's not like it's especially difficult without. Can't think of a moment when I actually needed it.
- Game's ugly. Thief 1 and 2 retained some charm, despite the low poly counts. Don't see this faring as well.
- Lots of z-fighting, misaligned assets, and gaps. In very conspicuous places, too.
+ The Cradle didn't scare the shit out of me this time. :>
- The Cradle just plain sucks when you're not scared. :<
+ I completely forgot the twist and was taken in by the story all over again, including the misdirection.
- But Garrett was much too trusting regardless. He shoulda known! So soon after larning about the thing with the thing, too.
- He's also much too blasé about bringing down the Clocktower. As are the keepers, really.
+ The ending is just - mh! <3 I think I'm a sucker for stories going full circle like this.
- There should have been repercussions for pilfering your neighbour's and even your landlord's apartment. They know who you are and what you do. There are wanted posters with your face on it.
--- Had to steal a loopy widow's last savings because of Expert difficult loot requirements. Was just 500 gold, too. I finished the game with 20k or so. Lemme give it back, game! I even had to knock out her one loyal guard who came looking for me at my apartment. T_T
[close]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:23:02 PM by Rufus »

kingv

« Reply #32167 on: November 23, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »
I played through the second dlc for Spider-Man today.

So far this is one of the better season passes. The quality of the missions is right up there with the main game and it’s priced pretty fairly.

This second dlc did seem shorter than the first though.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32168 on: November 23, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Wrong.

I used the code on the kid the other day while trying out the n64 version as Link and was not given a book. I got the moon tear twice and that required me to go through the hideout and I didn’t get a book. In order for me to get it I had to play hide and seek again. It’s why Nintendo gave you the book instantly to begin with in MM3d. edit correction: looking on wiki pages, apparently you're right. Maybe I gave the code as Deku Link accidentally. Doesn't change the below at all.

Another thing that then becomes apparent through the og way more quickly, characters/events might turn out differently if you come with other faces. MM world building :rejoice

Orrrrr you could continue to pretend MM is perfect.

I said there were things to improve. But the entire argument was about N64 > 3DS and your example isn't even different in the remake, except being even longer to do, so :idont Though either way, I don't think it's bad that the best sword upgrade is hard to get and it's another cool twist to go back and bring back spring at the very start of the cycle. Though of course Goht was awesome in the og version when it was a continuous race, not interrupted by the new eye-phase.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:20:19 AM by Spieler1 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32169 on: November 23, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
Thief 4 was...just okay. Not as good as their Deus Ex reboot and not as good as Dishonored, fairly forgettable overall. If you're playing through the entire series and can find it for cheap [which I'm sure you can], it's worth giving it a shot at least.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #32170 on: November 23, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Played some Professor Layton 4. I wanted to try it for that additional life sim mode, which seems like an okay Animal Crossing clone, even if not particularly diverse. The main game I think I'll like. It seems the puzzles now mostly have at least some kind of context and aren't just a brigade of random math between cutscenes. The prior games I always wished I could like for the atmosphere (and I love the nonsense twists), but the gamedesign always felt too incoherent. I enjoyed the Phoenix Wright crossover and this game seems to be in line with that one.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32171 on: November 23, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
Thief 3 is on my to-do list so thanks for the write-up, Rufus! Still need to beat the last level in Thief 2 (The Forge) where I hate all of this backtracking for creating the items in the furnaces, presses etc. :yuck

Sounds Thief 3 is not that bad and much better than Deus Ex 2 which was NOT THAT BAD to be really, really honest.
And once you're done with that, align seven antennas where every room containing one looks like a small Portal level. Tedious, tedious.

Yeah, outside of console limitations it's a fine Thief game. T2 > T3 > T1, I would say.

Thief 4 was...just okay. Not as good as their Deus Ex reboot and not as good as Dishonored, fairly forgettable overall. If you're playing through the entire series and can find it for cheap [which I'm sure you can], it's worth giving it a shot at least.
Steam has it on sale for 5€ currently. Tempting, but I have so much other stuff already lined up. I'm sure it'll be on sale again by the time I've finally replaced my graphics card.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32172 on: November 24, 2018, 12:48:00 AM »
Omen Of Sorrow: "Medieval horror" 2.5D fighting game from a Chilean developer.  The game install and update patch got more time on my PS4 than the actual game did- this was so bad that I deleted it after few minutes and put in a return request as "defective."   :doge Total crap.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32173 on: November 24, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
After like 20 hours of AC Odyssey, I gotta say it's a step down from Origins. Basically every single aspect in Origins was better designed.

Combat, story, characters ,graphics, you name it. All slightly worse. If Origins was this 8/10 turn in the right direction, this is taking it back down to that general Ubisoft 7/10 territory were it's a serviceable game, but nothing special.

Should easily be able to get my money's worth though. So a fine purchase none the less.

kingv

« Reply #32174 on: November 24, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »
Omen Of Sorrow: "Medieval horror" 2.5D fighting game from a Chilean developer.  The game install and update patch got more time on my PS4 than the actual game did- this was so bad that I deleted it after few minutes and put in a return request as "defective."   :doge Total crap.

They might be nice to you as a one time thing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32175 on: November 24, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
Wrapped up Shadow of the Tomb Raider today.
34 hours on the clock but I found every document, artifact, survivors cache etc. .

Out of the 3 'reboot' games, this one is the best but if you like action more than exploring it doesn't respawn the enemies like 'Rise' did.
So revisiting areas could be less interesting.
🤴

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #32176 on: November 25, 2018, 07:16:04 AM »
I'm playing "watch Spider-Man install" on the PS4 right now. 7.4/10

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32177 on: November 25, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
Don't worry. Once it's done installing watching is still the most entertaining part of the game.

Himu

« Reply #32178 on: November 25, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
Ah, the good ol sony exclsuive walking while being talked to
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #32179 on: November 25, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
I've been on a Castlevania kick lately so played through the first GBA one, Circle of the Moon. I really enjoyed the DSS system and the level of difficulty. Shit was balls hard at times. I want to keep playing the games in the series that I've missed but next up is Harmony of Dissonance and everything about the game is turning me off, the main character looks like an alucard knockoff that robbed carmen sandiegos closet and he has some of the worst animations in a 2d platformer character, the game is overly colorful and the music is fucking trash so far. Should I stick with this one or just skip it? I've heard the next one is really good.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32180 on: November 25, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
The next one is really good (the DS being the sequel). Go to that one if HOD is not making ur peepee hard
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32181 on: November 25, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »
Sooo I finished Tomb Raider and booted up Mass Effect Andromeda that I bought on impulse for 6,50 during the Black Friday Xbox sale.

First, to create a character. The character creation thing is way to convoluted but I found some YouTube videos I could mimic to get a cute and normal looking female Ryder.
What I love about the Mass Effect series is the immersion and I have to say that so far... this game is doing a good job when it comes to delivering the space opera.

Now I have to take into account that the animations and eyes were patched in later (and as a good chunk of the game is spend talking I imagine that got weird at launch fast) but overall I'd say that this is not a bad game at all.
The graphics look great in 4K/HDR the architecture and alien worlds look interesting. The scanning mechanic doesn't bother me much because it is just the press of a button.

Now, I've only played the introduction and a bit beyond that but I can see myself sink some serious time into this game and wondering why I didn't pick it up earlier. After all I actually lost track of the time while playing.
This plays and feels like a Mass Effect game and there aren't many games like this out there. I was expecting that I would have to turn this off after an hour because I'd be watching the funeral of Mass Effect.
That EA would've made a sloppy attempt at a video game and bungled it. The RPG equivalent of Sonic 06 so to speak. As that was the general impression people voiced when it released. But so far I'm not seeing what is so horrible about it.

Somehow I think that the memory people have of Mass Effect is better than the actual thing. I mean, the original trilogy which I loved also had sloppy animations compared to other games at that time. They also had filler and some badly written characters but that didn't do in the entire game. Hell, Mass Effect 3 had a shit ending and even that game is incredible. The first Mass Effect had boring driving sections looking for 1 or 2 spots on barren planets and it somehow worked.
I think that if they had cooked Andromeda for 6 more months to fix the animations and get it to the state it is in now and delivered an Xbox One X enhanced edition at Xbox One X launch it might've all ended differently for this game.
🤴

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #32182 on: November 25, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
Circle of The Moon is underrated
Harmony of Dissonance is not so great
Aria of Sorrow is a close second to Symphony of The Night
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #32183 on: November 25, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
Beat Great Bay Temple. Hate to say it but Majora’s Mask isn’t a good game upon replay. It’s ok, but it’s not good much less great. It’s unique but when you’ve already experienced that uniqueness its appeal melts away and ultimately unique doesn’t necessarily equate to “good”. After Master Quest, of the first three dungeons, all are babby level to me. I used to think the game had good dungeon design but it really doesn’t. The mini dungeons might be better but I haven’t really messed with them. The unfortunate reality of most of the mini dungeons is that they’re fetch quests gnabbing fairies (which is a poor replacement for Skulltulas).

This means that not only are the dungeons mostly poor, there’s only really four of them to top it off. The core gameplay outside of dungeons isn’t compelling either. A lot of content is hidden by poor mini games and since there’s so few dungeons to boost your hearts with boosting the heart piece container count to a series record of 50+ to collect. Most of the rest is filler or bloat - despite how many masks you can collect only four to five prove useful in long term. Also, for all the talk of how unique Majora’s Mask is it rehashes lots of Ocarina wholesale: lost forests, Gerudo stealth missions;etc. To make matters worse, some of the most notable quests in the game are poor fetch quests waiting for and delivering mail. Yawn.

The biggest compliment I can give Majora’s Mask is its unabashed devotion to its themes, setting, and story. The tone is incredible, its atmosphere thrilling. I think that’s the main brunt of what got me so invested in Majora’s Mask in the past: its story. But upon replay it reveals just how uncompelling the overall story beats are beyond the themes and some bright spots like Anju and Kafei.

It’s unfortunate to say this because at one point Majora’s Mask was my favorite Zelda. I really haven’t enjoyed my replay of it with the same gusto I had for Ocarina which is still fantastic to this day, traveling around Hyrule field aside. I used to equate game experiences that were unique as good games for their bravery and courage to do something new, and while I still applaud that I don’t find it makes for a compelling game.

I think games like Dead Rising 1 and Breath of Fire V have done much better use of this games concepts with none of its flaws.

It’s good to revisit old favorites to see if you feel the same way about them. Unfortunately sometimes that might mean you think the game is no longer for you anymore, but that’s ok.

Greatly looking forward to Fire Emblem Advance after Majora’s Mask.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32184 on: November 26, 2018, 06:37:33 AM »
God of Boiiiii!

What a weird-ass God of War game... kind of tanky, RE4 controls, very close camera with what seems to be an abysmal 45 FOV and the brutality is scaled back down tremendously - especially seen during The Stranger fight which has nothing on Helios, Poseidon or Hercules fights from GoW3 :(

And so much talking............... it this TLOU2?

It might get better later on but uh... that's not mine God of War I am afraid.

It's theirs:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's much better if you pretend getting all the valkyries is the main game and the main story is filler you have to endure. Also I've played like 3 of the 6 old GoWs and already after my second one it's become clear that there's no point in continuing that series, since it was Pokemon-tier formulaic/predictable.

Himu

« Reply #32185 on: November 26, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
Point is previous God of War games sparred with Ninja Gaidens and Devil May Cries.

Nah.

GOW5 was def after that Uncharted/TLOU money though, and they got it. It wasn’t narrative focused since its reveal.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32186 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »
I bought zone of the enders on steam

I have never played it

Should i?
What

Himu

« Reply #32187 on: November 26, 2018, 01:03:34 PM »
zoe1 sucks

zoe2 is ok to good ymmv, i personally think it's a mediocre game with good graphics but others think it's a great game. so it's really on you.

Depends on what game you're talking about here but most agree ZOE1 is a waste of time. So if it's 1 skip it, if it's 2 buy it for cheap.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32188 on: November 26, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32189 on: November 26, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »
I reckon the "2nd" in the title means it's ZoE2. :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32190 on: November 26, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
Who knows with those crazy Kojima games

:rollsafe
What

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #32191 on: November 26, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
Battlefield V. Gunplay is very good.
Oi Oi

Himu

« Reply #32192 on: November 26, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
ZOE2 for 15 dollars? Eh. You can do worse. At its full price though? :lol so get it on sale if you’re going to get it at all. It’s not worth 30 dollars. It’s one of the most overrated games of the ps2 era whose only claim to fame was flash, anime graphics, and the Kojima name on the box.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32193 on: November 26, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »
I got it from a keysite for 11 euro's so I think I'm good.

I just need to experience it I think.
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32194 on: November 26, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
There's no Zone of the Enders port on PC because the 2 port actually isn't a port either, they hired some company to rebuild the game from scratch including the assets. (But apparently not the cutscenes which run at original resolution. :doge)

The PS2 games are a disaster to port because they use so many game/platform-specific functions, when they did the HD Collections, the experience was so bad they cancelled a whole bunch of ZOE stuff they had planned and other things they were going to include in the Collection.

Why they then, this year decided to hire some company to rebuild 2 (and not say, the first game) from scratch for PS4 and PC is beyond me.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32195 on: November 26, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
So if I havent played 1 will I even any fucking clue what's going on?  :lol
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32196 on: November 26, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
So if I havent played 1 will I even any fucking clue what's going on?  :lol

It’s Kojima bro, you won’t have a clue what’s going on even if you’ve played the first game.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32197 on: November 26, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
Made it to the Arena in DQ11, game really started picking up after getting the Birdsong Nectar for the kid in Gondolia -

I am loving the DQ4 throwbacks in here, from the fight music and the battle against the opponent who creates multiple copies of himself
[close]
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32198 on: November 26, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Played some more Mass Effect Andromeda and still no sign of why this game sucks so much or at least why I should hate it.
If you're willing to take the plunge or got it for cheap during a sale too this is a handy guide to make a nice looking character
[close]
🤴

Himu

« Reply #32199 on: November 26, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
Made it to the Arena in DQ11, game really started picking up after getting the Birdsong Nectar for the kid in Gondolia -

I am loving the DQ4 throwbacks in here, from the fight music and the battle against the opponent who creates multiple copies of himself
[close]

I quit somewhere after the arena.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #32200 on: November 26, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
Point is previous God of War games sparred with Ninja Gaidens and Devil May Cries.
This statement is false.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32201 on: November 27, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
lmao God of War wishes it was like Ninja Gaiden and DMC

Borys stay losing
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #32202 on: November 27, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
Best one was the first, because it had that Tomb Raider aspect on top of it (and basically no story).

kingv

« Reply #32203 on: November 27, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

Borys stay losing

People people.

When I said that in the other forums thread I was trolling. I didn’t mean for it to infect the minds of other forum dwellers.

Besides. We all know that GOW really IMPROVED on those games... significantly. GOW looked at Ninja Gaiden and said, “hey I can make a game that has a higher skill ceiling. Has a better story. Has better bosses than Alma. Has finishing moves with complex inputs that only the best players can consistently achieve, rewarding them with showers of blood and respect. Has a deeper protagonist. Will not allow spamming flying swallow like a damned noob and will force players to improve their skills just to beat the lowest difficulty level.”

And then they made it. As the most influential character action game ever you can see how DMc3 and Bayonetta try to live up to it, but couldn’t reach the heights of GOW. It was not exceeded in quality until DMC and Heavenly Sword.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32204 on: November 27, 2018, 09:33:58 AM »

Borys stay losing

People people.

When I said that in the other forums thread I was trolling. I didn’t mean for it to infect the minds of other forum dwellers.

Besides. We all know that GOW really IMPROVED on those games... significantly. GOW looked at Ninja Gaiden and said, “hey I can make a game that has a higher skill ceiling. Has a better story. Has better bosses than Alma. Has finishing moves with complex inputs that only the best players can consistently achieve, rewarding them with showers of blood and respect. Has a deeper protagonist. Will not allow spamming flying swallow like a damned noob and will force players to improve their skills just to beat the lowest difficulty level.”

And then they made it. As the most influential character action game ever you can see how DMc3 and Bayonetta try to live up to it, but couldn’t reach the heights of GOW. It was not exceeded in quality until DMC and Heavenly Sword.

tbf Kamiya and Itagaki probably believed that, they were GoW stans
[close]

kingv

« Reply #32205 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
That’s like Myamoto standing for Blinx.

Himu

« Reply #32206 on: November 27, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

Borys stay losing

People people.

What gives your troll away is that DMC3 came out before GOW.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32207 on: November 27, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
That’s like Myamoto standing for Blinx.

Kamiya also wanted DMC5 to be like god of dad.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32208 on: November 27, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Since old style God of War is dead, EA could at least do me a service and make Dante's Inferno 2.

kingv

« Reply #32209 on: November 27, 2018, 03:11:05 PM »

Borys stay losing

People people.

What gives your troll away is that DMC3 came out before GOW.

I guess that explains how Jaffe-god was able to improve upon it so much.

kingv

« Reply #32210 on: November 27, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »
lowkey it's absolutely hilarious to me that the discourse of "GoW made a conscious leap from the dated and archaic CA trappings to make a game for the modern era" got absolutely murked the moment DMC5 got announced :lol

Not only to mention that nobody considered GoW to be top tier in the subgenre nor did they like it for that anyway.

I’d rather play GOW3 then 4 honestly.

3 at least had spectacle going for it. 4 was like 5 cool moments strung together by dad jokes and boredom.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32211 on: November 27, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
lowkey it's absolutely hilarious to me that the discourse of "GoW made a conscious leap from the dated and archaic CA trappings to make a game for the modern era" got absolutely murked the moment DMC5 got announced :lol

Not only to mention that nobody considered GoW to be top tier in the subgenre nor did they like it for that anyway.

I’d rather play GOW3 then 4 honestly.

3 at least had spectacle going for it. 4 was like 5 cool moments strung together by dad jokes and boredom.

If you're talking about god of dad, that would be GoW7  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32212 on: November 27, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »
First outpost set-up in Mass Effect Andromeda.
The remnant vault dungeon things look pretty cool.
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32213 on: November 27, 2018, 07:21:16 PM »
Playing Goat Simulator while waiting for Red Dead to update (got it free on XB1 on GWG aaaages back). Pretty sweet game! Feels like a blend of Tony Hawk and Katamari with a dash of Saints Row. A nice diversion

Bebpo

« Reply #32214 on: November 27, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »
Started playing Hollow Knight on switch. Got through and mapped out the first 2 areas (caves & garden), opened up 2 new areas (fungus and fog), almost have enough for the lantern for the couple areas that are dark already.

Like it a lot, map could be better and I get lost a lot even with the purchases, the jumping at least on switch seems to have a minor delay so when trying to jump from the very end of a platform I've ran off the edge a few times, don't mind the souls gameplay for currency, but I do wish the fast travels were a little closer, already doing a bunch of backtracking when I wanna go back to town or another area to try out new abilities in the previous dead ends.

Boss fights are the highlight so far. Really good patterns and fun. The fight vs. the fencer in the gardens was straight DMC3 Vergil stuff and a blast. Art/music is great too.

Bebpo

« Reply #32215 on: November 28, 2018, 03:04:06 AM »
So during Black Friday sales I picked up ZoE2 PS4 from the JP store for $30 for JP audio & VR.
Since I hooked up my PSVR tonight, gave it a shot. The VR mode is whatever lol. Jump from enemy to enemy, limited cockpit view, can’t see shit and everyone cutscene, even in HUD is 2d instead of VR.

But then I started a game on the normal TV and having skipped the PS3 remaster because it was bad at first, so not playing ZoE2 since a half dozen runs on PS2, this game looks hella nice now. All sharp & clean and smooth with 5.1 audio :o the anime cutscenes look like a VCD or Realplayer footage but not much they can do with that source.

So I ended up playing like 1/4th the game again. I mean ZoE2’s one of my favorite games of all time, but it just feels like nothing today. Since ZoE2 is like 4 hours long it’s super fast paced exciting like watching an awesome action flick with cool cutscenes and intense boss battles. There’s nothing in modern gaming that’s as exciting like this. Even games like Bayonetta because they’re much longer have a lot of downtime. I miss games like ZoE2. It’s pretty much what I loved about gaming. Some people are into 8-bit/16-bit retro gaming, but for me PS2/DC era gaming remastered at 1080p+ clean 60fps is like gaming heaven. They still hold up visually and by PS2 3d game we’re playing well. Good stuff. Makes me want to bust out MGS3 Subsistence again after this.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32216 on: November 28, 2018, 07:57:26 AM »
:lol no one remembers Ascension

Earlier in the year I decided to go and get all the God Of War games on PS3.  That's like two collections and GoW3 (or just GoW Saga if you don't care about having all the games on discs).  Thought I was good and then after Dad Of War released, I looked up stuff about the game and realized that I had completely forgotten that Ascension exists.   :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #32217 on: November 28, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
Ps2 remastered are my tonic, Bebpo.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32218 on: November 28, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »
There’s nothing in modern gaming that’s as exciting like this. Even games like Bayonetta because they’re much longer have a lot of downtime. I miss games like ZoE2. It’s pretty much what I loved about gaming.

This is one of the reasons why I'm pretty interested in checking out Darksiders III, despite the lower or low review scores and general 'jank' that the game appears to have- people are saying that it's like a game from this era and is DLC/microtransaction bullshit-free.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #32219 on: November 28, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »
There’s nothing in modern gaming that’s as exciting like this. Even games like Bayonetta because they’re much longer have a lot of downtime. I miss games like ZoE2. It’s pretty much what I loved about gaming.

This is one of the reasons why I'm pretty interested in checking out Darksiders III, despite the lower or low review scores and general 'jank' that the game appears to have- people are saying that it's like a game from this era and is DLC/microtransaction bullshit-free.

A 15 hour game in 2018.

Praise be.
IYKYK