Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558828 times)

Himu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32400 on: January 06, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
I love persona so much I was nicknamed Himusona in these parts and even I didn’t finish P5 because it was so bad.

It’s the best Persona of 3-5 tho...
while i'm not finding it as bad as cindi and intend to finish it, unless it really picks up it's not better than either p3 or p4. it gets so caught up in trying to be smart in the writing and story it seems to forget it's a game at times

Like many jrpgs these days it’s up its own ass and they have come to the conclusion that stories need 9999 hours of exposition to be well told. It’s even started to impact fucking Dragon Quest. The era of tight, well told jrpg stories seems to be over, only to be replaced with a bunch of try hard visual novel slash light novel wannabe games with hours of exposition, repitition, and “world building.” A genre that has sold its soul to become trash because the developers are more concerned in telling their crappy stories instead of telling them well told with an amazing game on top. I weep for the genre.

Bebpo’s criticisms of the latest Trail of Cold Steel seem to support this position and is yet another victim of the genres current excesses.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32401 on: January 06, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »
Thinking about it, of all the modern jrpgs I’ve played, FFXV had the most brevity. Which is hilarious when you consider that it’s fucking FF of all games which has been up its ass for twenty years now. And the only reason it has that brevity is because they wanted to split the story in multiple parts to sell you different products. The backstory is shown in the film. The main characters’ stories are told in the anime. In order to get all the story you have to watch all this shit to experience the complete saga. That’s without mentioning how flawed and poorly edited the story in FFXV is to begin with.

jrpgs despite their renewed interest among consumers are a genre that is clearly in decline quality-wise.
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #32402 on: January 06, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »
Honestly I think this is just a problem with modern games in general. They have a way of wasting your time really badly by being overly drawn out. Either because of too much exposition or low effort side content that is for some reason mandatory.

I think it’s so neckbearsa don’t go on GAF and complain about a game only being 12 hours long.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32403 on: January 07, 2019, 03:07:32 AM »
Massive open world AAAA games that tell their story efficiently are very rare in general, RDR2 was a good one in my opinion (contrary to RDR1) and the only one i can think of right now, so that's already a problem, then you factor in Japan's inability to wrestle such big projects in general (they certainly had more problems than the West, in the transition to massive scope in games), and that's another nail in FFXV's coffin.
Finally you put behind it SquareEnix, who is worse than most at it in general, Nomura who apparently has perfectionist chronic issues, and a game tied to a(make that two) dying engine(s) being developed in parallel.

FFXV has one of the worst stories i've seen in a game, not because the basic premise is particularly bad, but because it's told in the stupidest, most ineffective way i could think of, and it's the maximum expression of Japan's (and the world's) problems with AAAA narrative development in open world games.

I mean, why do you have fashion deals and a thousand fully rendered dishes, when you had to cut half the map, and one of the main bad guys gets killed off-screen and i'm not even sure has a proper 3d model outside of a CGi cinematic?

paprikastaude

« Reply #32404 on: January 07, 2019, 05:40:59 AM »
tfw you play Pokemon DS remakes for some cheap empty nostalgia fix and you can't even get that, because the red/blue map is filled with shitty new pokemans :hhh

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32405 on: January 07, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
I really wish we could get back to another Chrono Trigger. A short 20 hour fun JRPG that is light and fun but at the same time complex.
The last time I felt we were close to it was Bravely Default until chapter 4 which ruined the entire thing. Setsuna tried desperately for that, but I hear it mostly failed. Octopath seems more SaGa than CT.

In other news I finished Castlevania SOTN I forgot how broken it was once you found certain equipment/skills that just allow you blast pass everything in your way. :goty

I also started Death's Gambit Honestly, so far outside of the visual style I don't feel there's much there. Combat is...OK. Music is...OK. Story? It apes so much on Dark Souls there's times where I literally laughed out loud. "Oh, I have to go out and ring two bells? One up and one down? You don't say?!!"
que

Himu

« Reply #32406 on: January 07, 2019, 04:25:24 PM »
There were 20 hour jrpgs like Suikoden 1 (even 2 is short af) and BOFDQ.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32407 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »
Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7. Whatever could I be preparing for?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32408 on: January 07, 2019, 07:19:33 PM »
But Suikoden 1 and 2 were PS1 era and BOFDQ PS2. Really has anything come out in the last generation that matches this?
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32409 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:27 PM »
Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7. Whatever could I be preparing for?

Getting laid?
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #32410 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »
But Suikoden 1 and 2 were PS1 era and BOFDQ PS2. Really has anything come out in the last generation that matches this?

No :fbm
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32411 on: January 07, 2019, 07:38:11 PM »
Tyranny and Torment: Tides of Numenera are good RPGs that are about 25 hours long.
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32412 on: January 08, 2019, 01:12:28 AM »
In other news I finished Castlevania SOTN I forgot how broken it was once you found certain equipment/skills that just allow you blast pass everything in your way. :goty
A lot of them are like this, didn't it take until one of the DS games before they had enemies do any kind of scaling so you couldn't wind up ten levels above everything just by playing only slightly more obsessive in hunting for stuff than normally?

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #32413 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:19 AM »
Alpha Protocol is the perfect RPG.

All your choices matter, and it’s only 20 hours long so it’s fairly replayable if you want to see different outcomes.

Chris Avellone  :lawd

Never getting a sequel  :goty
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #32414 on: January 08, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »
Tyranny and Torment: Tides of Numenera are good RPGs that are about 25 hours long.

My first Bloodborne playthrough was between 20 and 24 hours too. Bloodborne :lawd

tbf there was never many RPGs significantly below 30h. Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi 1/3, Parasite Eve, Nier 1, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 4,... can't think of more, unless you go back to 8bit.

Himu

« Reply #32415 on: January 08, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »
The problem with modern jrpgs isn’t length - it’s bloat and padding.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32416 on: January 08, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
Because old jrpgs totally didn't have a bad stigma because of grinding :foodcourt Also the most bloated jrpg ever is still DQ on PS1. Also every localized SMT game before P5 already was at least 1/3 too long, it's an old staple.

Himu

« Reply #32417 on: January 08, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
Because old jrpgs totally didn't have a bad stigma because of grinding :foodcourt Also the most bloated jrpg ever is still DQ on PS1. Also every localized SMT game before P5 already was at least 1/3 too long, it's an old staple.

Shitty players grinded beyond the NES days. Just because there's a stigma doesn't make it true. Even grinding in the NES days isn't an absolute necessity all the time.

Bloat and padding feels worse these days though since they want you to love their story so much. The stories in past generations were far less intrusive.

DQVII on ps1 isn't that bad. Its worst sin is the tablets.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32418 on: January 08, 2019, 11:59:29 AM »
Ehh, DQ7's biggest issue, like Cindi said, are the sometimes-obtuse tablet hunts, with some questionable pacing (i.e. the slow start, waiting so long to grant you access to the job system, the Gracos fight). But the game is constantly throwing new towns, dungeons, and sidestories at you. Backtracking to old areas is limited, and dialogue/cutscenes dget right to the point. The issues many modern day rpgs have are:
-backtracking to the same towns/dungeons
-wandering around town to trigger cutscenes to progress the story
-extraneous dialogue
-grindy/filler sidequests
-overdone, complicated systems

I like DQ11 but am about to hit the 3rd chapter, and am worried because I heard about the backtracking. (Where I'm at, I feel the plot could've easily wrapped up after Mordegon)

For last gen rpgs, you have Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, the Zeboyd indie games, Costume Quest... but most of that list is mediocre.

The big problem is that so many people want long-ass games... I got an ad post on my FB feed from Gamespot, talking about how KH3 is said to be 80 hours. I replied and said I'd rather have a shorter, tight-knit experience than a longer one with tons of filler (dunno if KH3 will be like that but I wouldn't be surprised). I got JUMPED ON by people asking why I'd want a shorter game. The concept of not wanting filler seemed over their heads (probably why Ubisoft gets away with their repetitive open world gameplay structure time and time again).
^_^

Himu

« Reply #32419 on: January 08, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
KH3 80 hours? lmao KH1 was 50 if you did everything and that was enough. Fuck this "more, more, more" attitude of modern games. Thank fuck for arcade and old games.

Although short 20 hour jrpgs weren't the norm, 40 used to be. Most 3d FF's can be completed in 40-50 hours. Back in the day, a long ass 80 hour jrpg was the EXCEPTION. A game like Xenogears or Dragon Quest VII were games used for BRAGGING RIGHTS that you completed because a jrpg being that damn long just wasn't common. The fact that Kingdom fucking Hearts of all games is being celebrated as being an 80 hour game shows you how far we have strayed from God's light.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32420 on: January 08, 2019, 12:50:23 PM »
I wouldn't mind playing an 80 hour game, if all 80 of those hours mattered. In this I feel that Chrono Trigger is perfect. There's hardly anything that you do that doesn't move you to the end goal in some way shape or form. And it' isn't arbitraty like "You need 20 tablets to unlock this tower" kind of thing. Everything moved you forward in a meaningful way. I don't mind length it's just crap that isn't important and as Cindi puts it "padding"
que

Himu

« Reply #32421 on: January 08, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
Isn't KH target demo kids and teens? How the fuck is 80 hours even a thing?
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32422 on: January 08, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
Hardly anything is 80 hours except P5 and DQ (which prides itself in being overly long and boring since 7) - no one can confirm KH3 yet. SMT4 was as always, Tales is still Tales, Ninokuni 2 is super fast paced, Bloodborne is even tighter, Nier 2 is 40, people finished FF15 in 20...

btw most other times I'd agree with your general sentiments, but your hyperbolic generalisations based on kneejerk reactions end up making it impossible to agree with anything :idont
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:42:05 PM by Spieler1 »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32423 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »

That's also the target demo for 80 hour games, they have nothing but time.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #32424 on: January 08, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
Hardly anything is 80 hours except P5 and DQ (which prides itself in being overly long and boring since 7) - no one can confirm KH3 yet. SMT4 was as always, Tales is still Tales, Ninokuni 2 is super fast paced, Bloodborne is even tighter, Nier 2 is 40, people finished FF15 in 20...

btw most other times I'd agree with your general sentiments, but your hyperbolic generalisations based on kneejerk reactions end up making it impossible to agree with anything :idont

I don’t think my overall point about over intrusive storytelling is wrong and I don’t think I’m being hyperbolic.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32425 on: January 08, 2019, 06:10:30 PM »
Mass Effect 4

- all 5 planets @ 100% viability
- 4/4 Outposts created
- all loyalty missions finished
- 180 quests finished (yes, I counted them)
- LVL 50
- 70 hours on the save file

...and the game is still @ 65% completion :lol which is kind of unbelievable yet there are weapons to be researched (Mark X) that you can only equip at... LVL 80.

It is simply HUGE. Game truly is Dragon Age in space, no doubt about it.

I don't have any sidequests remaining except killing Dragon Age's Dragons on each planet (Architects). Other than that I am boarding Meridian and moving on with the main plot.

I like it more than God of War :shh it does exactly what it promises (5 planets) whereas God of War blueballed with 9 Realms !!! yet you only visit like 5 and 2 out of those 5 are challenge arenas and the last one is a joke (1 corridor with no encounters).
I'm still baffled at how EA botched up the launch of this game. The Mass Effect trilogy was more innovative for its time and technically more impressive as well but Andromeda is not a bad game at all.
Plus like you say, the game is simply huge. The production values(TM) are off the charts.

It must've been hell for the developers to watch everyone trash the massive ammount of work it must've taken them to build it.
To create 70 - 100 hours worth of content which only a handful of people have ever experienced.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32426 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »
How much of the content is good though? Any good meaningful written missions or is it mostly go here and kill this and collect this
What

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #32427 on: January 09, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
It's $3.99 on Origin for a few more days. I am almost tempted even though I never played the first three. That I apparently have on Origin. :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32428 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
Well Id say play the first three with the controller mod and hd textures
What

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #32429 on: January 09, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »
One summer day. I played a few hours of the first one years ago and it didn't grab me.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32430 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:24 AM »
Yesterday I was watching Shroud stream Witcher 3

Running around with a broken sword

Not reading dialogues

He killed Kiera Metz at the tower

:lol

This fucking guy
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32431 on: January 09, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

That's also the target demo for 80 hour games, they have nothing but time.

And probably get only a few games a year, on holidays or birthdays, so better pick long games...
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32432 on: January 09, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
How much of the content is good though? Any good meaningful written missions or is it mostly go here and kill this and collect this
Well it always comes down to killing and collecting but some stuff has some great back stories.
Especially on Kadara where things just get crazy with rival factions, bounty hunters and smugglers.

The lore is interesting enough to keep playing and gather more rewards. The shooting and tech gameplay is on point as well.
It takes about 2 or 3 hours for the game to really start though. So you have to chew through a bunch of poorly disguised tutorials.

In terms of progression it is fairly linear as well. Some missions go 'On Hold' halfway through if you haven't completed parts of the main plot yet.
Just like the other Mass Effects I would say it strikes a nice balance between character interactions and sci-fi mumbo jumbo I find it quite relaxing to play overall.
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #32433 on: January 09, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »

I don’t think my overall point about over intrusive storytelling is wrong and I don’t think I’m being hyperbolic.

You're basing that point on......an email that someone else got about a game that won't take 80 hours to beat? That most likely, doing a 100% run will take that long?

Im playing thru Ys Origin right now on hard mode. First play thru is with Yunica. Beat the Quiet Sand boss that has eye pods in the sand and spams you with tons of bullshit.

Your character level in this Ys influences shit really heavily. Grinding up a level or two changes damage a fuck ton.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:05:21 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Himu

« Reply #32434 on: January 09, 2019, 02:45:00 PM »

You're basing that point on......an email that someone else got about a game that won't take 80 hours to beat? That most likely, doing a 100% run will take that long?

Im playing thru Ys Origin right now on hard mode. First play thru is with Yunica. Beat the Quiet Sand boss that has eye pods in the sand and spams you with tons of bullshit.

Your character level in this Ys influences shit really heavily. Grinding up a level or two changes damage a fuck ton.

Nope. The initial argument was about how long-winded many modern jrpgs are mostly through their stories with too much exposition. They are excessive in their storytelling and bloat. The game that we originally brought this up about was Persona 5. Not KH. The length argument was only supplemental and added later, but the main argument is that of storytelling. Modern jrpg storytelling often forces to you go through a lot of repetition in the story. In Persona 5 for instance, they would repeat story information that had already happened in the story. You were not able to go out and explore the game because the cat said it was time to sleep. The game limited your choices through story. This results in extremely poor pacing. This has infected many modern jrpgs and many people on this very page have agreed with it. Many modern jrpgs are incapable of letting go and really, really want you to experience the story they have in ways that are intrusive. In the past, there were story-oriented jrpgs but they never had the amount of repetition, padding, and sheer amount of story bloat of today's games. They had a story focus, but they still knew they were ultimately games. In Persona 5 it feels like most of your time is spent in a dialogue window.

Or as Crash Dummy put it:

it gets so caught up in trying to be smart in the writing and story it seems to forget it's a game at times
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:49:07 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32435 on: January 09, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
That's not to say I'm against story. I'm a Suikoden fan after all. Suikoden V itself has an 8 hour intro. And it's fucking epic. But it never molly coddles. It doesn't over reach. It doesn't have an endless assortment of cutscenes to make you feel like you're watching a movie or playing a visual novel. It knew how and when to take off the reins. And when that 8 hour intro finished it took the wheels off. It feels like with a lot of modern jrpgs, they. never. take. the. wheels. off. It's just constant story with no good balance between it and gameplay. The developers REALLY want you to experience their story and they expect you to like it.

Other people brought up length, but that is the gist of my point.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #32436 on: January 09, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
Everything you said Cindi is not a modern games thing. You're forgetting that the vast majority of PS1 RPGs for example have unskippable cutscenes, slow scrolling text, terrible localization which results in a poorer told story, game mechanics that are often over explained regardless of their depth.

Like, there wasn't a radical twist to the classic JRPG formula. The genre has treaded really familiar ground going on 30 years. Persona 5 is similar to Persona 4, which is similar to Persona 3. That's a 12 year time frame.

Regardless of design choices or design limitations, JRPGs are typically games with stories that are filled to the brim with plot points.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:55:36 PM by mormapope »
OH!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32437 on: January 09, 2019, 07:37:23 PM »
Played some good shit at Magfest -

Space Manbow - one of the standout MSX exclusives, a Konami horizontal shmup with an incredible soundtrack. A bit punishing with its checkpoints, like lots of other Konami shmups of the time. First boss kept killing me and I had to replay like half the level :P

Crisis Force - another Konami shmup, for the NES. This one is veritcal and you respawn right where you die, which is nice. Fairly easy, was able to make some serious progress on one credit. Nice graphics, some slowdown, a kickin' Konami soundtrack, top tier when it comes to NES shmups. No idea why it never got released here, would have preferred it than some of the shit they released in America (Pirates, Silent Service, Defender of the Crown)

DOOM - haven't played since 1996, and with all the changes that the FPS went through over the last 20+ years, this felt like a breath of fresh air (yes I know DOOM 2016 is great too). Still feels so good to play, the buttrock MIDI kicks ass. Played through all of the first scenario, unfortunately the elevator didn't trigger after beating the 2 Barons of Hell at the end of stage 8. Just re-downloaded off GOG and will replay this and the sequel (which I kinda rushed through back in the day with cheats).

Cannon Spike - a fun little overhead run and gun. Not sure if it's worth the insane prices it commands for Dreamcast. Surprised it never got a port to XBLA with a twin-stick control scheme grafted on, since it would have fit in so well with the 1,293,488 other overhead twin-stick shooters that gen. Some of the Capcom shout outs are cool, like the RE-inspired level. Fun for the 20 minutes it takes to credit feed through (to be fair it only took me 4 credits while my friend it took him 15+) :P

Star Speeder - the most obscure game I played, it's an exclusive for the Epoch Super Cassette Vision, one of the earliest Japanese-developed consoles. It's a racer that uses cool line tricks and effects to render a fast paced track in outer space, and has weapons you can fire at other opponents (in a way it's a very primitive Wipeout). Pretty fun, one of the standouts on that particular system.

^_^

Himu

« Reply #32438 on: January 10, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
Everything you said Cindi is not a modern games thing. You're forgetting that the vast majority of PS1 RPGs for example have unskippable cutscenes, slow scrolling text, terrible localization which results in a poorer told story, game mechanics that are often over explained regardless of their depth.

Like, there wasn't a radical twist to the classic JRPG formula. The genre has treaded really familiar ground going on 30 years. Persona 5 is similar to Persona 4, which is similar to Persona 3. That's a 12 year time frame.

Regardless of design choices or design limitations, JRPGs are typically games with stories that are filled to the brim with plot points.

They had unskippable cutscenes, but that's not a big deal. The scenes weren't that long and they weren't always constant either. It's like you're going out of your to ignore my point.

For comparisons sake, here's Persona 3 vs Persona 5:

This is one HOUR into P3 and yet most of it is gameplay and decision making. There are story bits, but look at how damn short they are.

25:49 - 30:45 is one day. It's fast and brisk. It doesn't waste your time.

Compare to Persona 5

One day of school here lasts 17 minutes. The cutscenes are constant with endless exposition and drawn out story telling.

The difference is night and day to me.

At the beginning of the P3 video I posted, there's also story scenes. But let's compare the time it takes shall we?

You start the day at 00:18, there are cutscenes, and they are over by 4:01. Whenever there ARE cutscenes, they last a few minutes at most. In P5, they go on and on and on to tell their damn story.

Many jrpg fans have noticed it. It's not my fault you haven't.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:30:13 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32439 on: January 10, 2019, 01:10:03 AM »
Beat Xenoblade 2. Nice cutscenes & music and some exploration aside, didn’t like it as much as XB1. Story was kinda eh and the end explanation for everything was a bit boring. Characters were just ok, no Reyn time or cool dude Dunban. The combat’s more complex here for sure but it also feels kinda tediousss building combos and then doing chain attacks. Also the field skill checks were shit and really hurt the exploration which otherwise would’ve been better here. Same with the gotcha and skill plate grind grind grind.

Really mixed game for me overall. There’s a lot I like about it and a lot I don’t. Still glad I played it for the moments where I was feeling it. Should probably pull my dozens of cores left tomorrow to see if I get anyone interesting.

Hope Takahashi drops the getcha and grind shit in the next game.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32440 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:20 AM »
Picked up Radiant Historia due to a recommendation I got when I was saying I wanted Chrono Trigger again. Only in the first chapter but already this is NOT Chrono Trigger.
I don't know if that makes it good or bad. It's just not CT.

I do love the combat, finding out how to line up enemies is great! But at the same time, it feels willfully obtuse at times. "Oh! You can't move forward? That's because this one dude you didn't talk to at all died in another timeline. Go figure that out!" Or "Oh, you want to go left instead of right? LOL Game over!!!" That makes my blood boil. I get that there are choices to be made and they have repercussions but it shouldn't be like "Oh you went left? You died LOL!" I hate trial and error games. If I make a wrong decision that's fine, let me try to get my way out of it. Don't just keep killing me until I stumble on what you wanted me to do.

Sorta ironic in that the game I last played that had a CT feel was Radiata Stories, when they announced Radiant Historia I was all excited because I thought it was the next installment of Radiata stories. Nope.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32441 on: January 10, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »
no shit its not chrono trigger. the only comparison is that it uses time travel as its story.

do u just pick this up with a raging boner hot take. radiant historia rules btw. stay mad nerd
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32442 on: January 10, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
Radiant Historia kicks ass - treat the blockages in the timelines as more of a puzzle that blocks your path in what is an overall linear story, instead of choices with permanent effects on the game.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #32443 on: January 10, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »
Even forcing the comparison because of their time travel plots never made sense. CT is typical epoch traveling, RH is like having a couple of different visual novel timelines... they are nothing alike and RH never meant to be like CT.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32444 on: January 10, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »
There’s no wrong decisions in RH, the bad ends open up stuff on the other timeline. Just go back and forth.
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32445 on: January 10, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
Even forcing the comparison because of their time travel plots never made sense. CT is typical epoch traveling, RH is like having a couple of different visual novel timelines... they are nothing alike and RH never meant to be like CT.
Yeah I'm sorta perplexed at why they were like "Oh you like CT? Try this!" The only thing is the time travel stuff. Oh well.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32446 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
for real though, it is weird that there aren't really any chrono trigger clones as far as i know. like not even talking quality- wise, just an emulation of the basic structure of the game.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #32447 on: January 11, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
for real though, it is weird that there aren't really any chrono trigger clones as far as i know. like not even talking quality- wise, just an emulation of the basic structure of the game.

Yeah, I can't really think of anything.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32448 on: January 11, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
Came out at the tail end of the 16-bit era and ended up getting overshadowed by FF7, maybe?
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32449 on: January 11, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »

Cosmic Star Heroine?
^_^

Himu

« Reply #32450 on: January 11, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
Surprisingly, Third Strike. I'm trying to learn the game for real and it might be the hardest fighting game I've tried to learn. Jesus. Street Fighter fundamentals help going a long way but it stops with a brick wall slamming you in the face.

So there's that...

Also some Vsav

And a helping of ST

Oh, and I have an arcade 10 minutes away from my place now with growing competition with some of the strongest in the country. So long online warriors. :win

In order to get good at 3S I have to dedicate my fighting game time to it. The other two are supplemental right now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:59:47 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BikeJesus

« Reply #32451 on: January 12, 2019, 12:37:50 AM »
The RE2 remake demo is really good. I beat the original game many times as a kid, and the new one still freaked me. I was disappointed when they revealed it would be over the shoulder, but it works. I used a trainer to stop the 30 minute times since I had to get my Steam Controller working well, and ended up finishing the demo in 44 minutes. I think I missed a lot though since I never used the shotgun. Didn't see any lickers.

Very excited for the release date.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32452 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:57 AM »
The RE2 remake demo is really good. I beat the original game many times as a kid, and the new one still freaked me. I was disappointed when they revealed it would be over the shoulder, but it works. I used a trainer to stop the 30 minute times since I had to get my Steam Controller working well, and ended up finishing the demo in 44 minutes. I think I missed a lot though since I never used the shotgun. Didn't see any lickers.

Very excited for the release date.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think the only licker you see is the scare from the original game. You see one crawl along the window outside.
[close]

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #32453 on: January 12, 2019, 05:49:17 PM »
Finished GRIS last week or so, was gonna start Yakuza 0 but my controller’s adapter broke so I gotta replace it asap. Once I’ve done that I’ll also 100% GRIS.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32454 on: January 12, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »

Oh, and I have an arcade 10 minutes away from my place now with growing competition with some of the strongest in the country. So long online warriors. :win

Game Of Dreams?

That aesthetic

:lawd
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32455 on: January 12, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »
Started Lost in Vivo.
Spooky as fuck, definitely recommended if you like Silent Hill.

I even like the shitty graphics.

Himu

« Reply #32456 on: January 13, 2019, 12:36:36 AM »
I was at the arcade for 7 hours today.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32457 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
Now onto the DQ11 post game. Died for the first time last night on the final battle of the second act...

Any good grinding spots/tips for the post game? Characters are around level 54.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32458 on: January 14, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
Finished GRIS last week or so, was gonna start Yakuza 0 but my controller’s adapter broke so I gotta replace it asap. Once I’ve done that I’ll also 100% GRIS.
How was GRIS?
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32459 on: January 14, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
Been playing some Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise this past week or so, that's the one developed by the Yakuza team. It definitely shows, there's a lot of that kind of gameplay and cutscenes and overall feel that I've gotten from the Yakuza games, but it feels a bit cheaper than the team's other games. The controls aren't as tight, the graphics aren't quite as good, and there's not as much depth of content. Still, doing special moves on guys to make them explode into blood fountains is always fun and the over-the-top FitS characters and stories are definitely my jam. You just gotta get past the first couple of hours that serve as the introduction.
dog