Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558466 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32640 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
I finished 428: Shibuya Scramble (platinum)

It's a VN involving real actors and real locations in Shibuya and surrounding areas. It's actually pretty good!

It gets kinda wacky at points but for the most part the story is pretty grounded in reality, no sci-fi shit and anime bullshit.

VNs are hard to play on console since you just sit there and read, so I used my Vita and Remote Play and used that while in bed (after a well deserved fap of course). Once you get the ending there's some other side stories you can unlock and read.

fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32641 on: February 11, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Been playing Tokyo Xanadu ex+, and it's even more of a Persona game than Trails of Cold Steel. Not that I'm complaining. It doesn't have the narrative depth of Cold Steel or the impressive production values of Persona, but I actually like that about it. Makes for a bit more laid back experience, no sprawling geopolitical storyline to follow and no worrying over min/maxing what I'm doing at any given time.

Not sure why you are comparing it to Persona. It is a Ys game re-skinned (Trails of Ys?) - it even uses the same mechanics and orbals from Trails games
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32642 on: February 11, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel was clearly going for a more Persona-style game than Trails in the Sky, or previous Falcom games [like Ys]. Tokyo Xanadu is even more like Persona. Not a complaint, just an observation. :yeshrug
dog

Freyj

« Reply #32643 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
Am I crazy in feeling that Marvel's Spider-Man is nothing particularly special? The story beats are alright I guess but the content is generic as can be. I'd take pretty much any of the Arkham games over this.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32644 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
Nope, Spider-Man is pretty by the numbers. Even the ending is kinda half-assed

It's not a bad game though, I enjoyed it
fat

Freyj

« Reply #32645 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
Yeah it's not bad by any stretch I'm just thoroughly underwhelmed.

kingv

« Reply #32646 on: February 11, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
I feel that the last 20% or so of Spider-Man helps to redeem it a lot.

It’s still somewhat by the numbers, but the last section is a lot more intense and exciting.

The game has terrible pacing. Over half of it feels like filler.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32647 on: February 11, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
Pulled the trigger on Jump Force for PC.  The Ultimate Edition (Game and season pass crap) was discounted a bit on GMG, plus it gives you access to the game now before the official release date on Friday.

And it's...pretty good!?  I mean, there's some jank for sure, but it's a much-improved take on J-Stars Victory Vs., which wasn't all that great.  This game reminds me a bit more of One Piece Burning Blood, which I thought was a better arena fighter.

To start, you create your own character and go through a tutorial.  Once you get through that and things get going, the game is kind of like Dragonball Xenoverse, where you're in a big lobby (you can go online and see other players as well) and can run around and do missions.  Winning fights levels you up and gets you money, which you can use to buy items, skills, and outfits.  Your custom character can use most of the characters' moves (it's possible more may open up, but initially I noticed some characters' moves unavailable), so you can mix and match attacks and make a Luffy/Goku hybrid if you want.

The graphics look pretty nice once things get going.  It's got a pretty clean, detailed look and while the "realistic" take on the characters can be weird at times, the way special moves and supers are animated is pretty slick.  I was getting pretty hype once I got the hang of things and saw some crazy attacks coming out.

Haven't played the game online yet, so can't comment on the playerbase or quality of matches.  Saw lots of players already in the lobby though.  One thing I noticed is that a lot of hair/outfit styles are available for characters who aren't in the game, and with the mixing and matching of movesets, you can kind of make some of them.  Saw a lot of Namis and Android 18s running around, for instance.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #32648 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
What type of game is it? I couldn’t really tell from the trailer if it was a brawler or a fighting game.

Beezy

« Reply #32649 on: February 12, 2019, 01:21:07 AM »
Pulled the trigger on Jump Force for PC.  The Ultimate Edition (Game and season pass crap) was discounted a bit on GMG, plus it gives you access to the game now before the official release date on Friday.

And it's...pretty good!?  I mean, there's some jank for sure, but it's a much-improved take on J-Stars Victory Vs., which wasn't all that great.  This game reminds me a bit more of One Piece Burning Blood, which I thought was a better arena fighter.

Oh? I guess I'm buying this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32650 on: February 12, 2019, 05:00:32 AM »
I've been playing through LEGO DC Villains. It's okay. I mean they've pretty much been making the same game for like 16 years now, but this certainly feels like a step down from the Batman ones and Marvel Super Heroes 1.

When are they going to stop fucking around and do a DC/Marvel LEGO game :rage

Thinking about the licensing issues alone with that is going to give me a stroke.

They've mixed multiple licenses for games and movies in the past, Marvel and DC have worked together multiple times in the past, the makers of the games have the license to both...I don't think it'd be that big of an issue.

I'm not familiar with which games they worked on that had both DC and Marvel licenses simultaneously. I've seen the comics where Superman and Spider-Man team up, etc. but those all pre-date Disney purchasing Marvel, IIRC. Lego licenses the properties to make toys, and it's possible they included video games as part of that. But Traveler's Tales doesn't hold the power in that relationship.

I didn't mean there had been Marvel/DC crossover games, but they had multiple crossovers and even their own shared universe. It's not weird for them to do work with each other. As for LEGO/TT, the LEGO movie (and associated game) and LEGO Dimensions mixed multiple franchises, so it's not a crazy idea to mix Marvel and DC for a game, imo

Franchises
The game features characters and worlds from thirty different franchises, consisting of:[5]

The A-Team
Adventure Time
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
DC Comics
Doctor Who
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters (2016)
The Goonies
Gremlins
Harry Potter
Jurassic World
Knight Rider
Legends of Chima
Lego City
The Lego Batman Movie
The Lego Movie
The Lord of the Rings
Midway Arcade
Mission: Impossible
Ninjago
Portal 2
The Powerpuff Girls
Scooby-Doo
The Simpsons
Sonic the Hedgehog
Teen Titans Go!
The Wizard of Oz
The game also features character and setting cameos from other franchises, including the Space Odyssey series, CW's The Flash, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Red Dwarf.[6]

Yeah, that's a fair assessment. I'd still rather teach English indefinitely than have license management for that be my "game industry" job. Having dealt with licensors before, I just look at that scenario and start twitching.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32651 on: February 12, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »
What type of game is it? I couldn’t really tell from the trailer if it was a brawler or a fighting game.

It's a fighting game- very simple, but has enough to make it potentially fun for a while.

One thing I didn't mention that I hate about it is the insane amount of motion blur in the lobby area. 
ど助平

Chim Richalds

• Professional Doctor
« Reply #32652 on: February 12, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
Played about 3 hours of The Division 2 beta before I called it quits.  I love The Division, have a ton of hours in it, and 2 is so similar that if I played any more of the beta I'd get sick of it.  Still buying it, still looking forward to it, but continuing the beta would have put me off of playing it for a while.  I do miss the snow and the desolate feel of NYC...DC is going to have to have some really cool environments to surpass 1 in that regard.

RE2 remake...finished Claire's A campaign and started Leon A before I move on to the B scenarios.  I was 18 when the original came out, and this one hit a lot of nostalgia buttons, especially with the original OST activated.

Destiny 2 still has its hooks in me, unfortunately.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32653 on: February 12, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »
All this cuphead talk, might hafta go back and finish the game plus option

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32654 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »

The game has terrible pacing. Over half of it feels like filler.

I guess Insomniac had to stay true to the Marvel formula.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32655 on: February 12, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
got all 175 strawberries in Celeste and finished the bonus stage. Still another 6 B-Sides to complete  :'( Game has a lot of content!

I started on Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Seems pretty good although I've mostly played the IGAvanias and not well versed in the classics. The bosses are really cool!

And of course the soundtrack rips into a classic Castlevania banger for the first stage:

Freyj

« Reply #32656 on: February 12, 2019, 11:47:21 PM »
Spider-Man DLC

The Heist: Storywise it’s alright. Nothing special really. Black Cat is good, Mob is zzzzz.

Turf Wars: You could probably skip this whole DLC and miss basically nothing. Boring, pointless.

It’s pretty telling that Insomnaic had almost no idea what to do with this game but put you in combat arenas with wave after wave of generic goons.

Spider-Man thus far has been:

10% middling to good story
15% web slinging
75% fighting the same endless, shitty, copy pasted 4 or so mob / thug looking guys

kingv

« Reply #32657 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:34 AM »
Definitely the first dlc is the best one.

Silver sable is pretty dull.

Imo they have the mechanics more or less right in the game (although the web swinging could have a higher skill ceiling and be faster) but they need to realize that the most interesting thing one can do as Spider-Man is have him fight super villains. Period.

These type of games need to just be stocked nut to butt with super villain encounters.

Freyj

« Reply #32658 on: February 13, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
Yep. Majorly missed the mark there. Like I said before I’d take any of the Arkham games easily over this.

Silver Linings also a wet fart. AAA DLC is a scam.

kingv

« Reply #32659 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
If I was in charge of the Spider-Man game I would have kept the same basic outline but changed up the game a lot. I’d have put 3-4 mission mini-stories in between the current missions where you track down, fight, and solve crimes for each of the characters that eventually get sprung from the raft.

Have a little mini campaign for each of electro, rhino, vulture, etc.

And maybe kill some of the missions that are already there to condense the story a bit... and get rid of any part where you play as not-Spider-Man and turn it into a 30 second cutscene.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32660 on: February 13, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »
Maybe this would have just been too much for their first game, but with Spider-Verse hype, I would have preferred to have multiple playable Spider-Men instead of just Peter Parker.  Like instead of just getting those suits...you get to play as Miles, Gwen, Superior, Noir, 2099, etc.  Marvel was already quick to bring the Spider-Man from the game into their comics- A Spider-Verse/Spider-Geddon game would make a lot of sense.

Ditto on the DLC- why not make Black Cat a playable character and give her different mission types and things to do. 
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #32661 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »
Yeah, that would be pretty cool too.

I actually liked that edge of spider whatever game from 7 or 8 years ago where you played as multiple spider men. It was obviously not open world, but it was fun.

Freyj

« Reply #32662 on: February 14, 2019, 02:52:11 AM »
Playing Onimusha Remaster for the first time since Genma Onimusha came out I think. Such a gem of a game. Hopefully 2 & 3 get the this treatment as well.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32663 on: February 14, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »

Oh? I guess I'm buying this.

Just want to say- don't buy this at release tomorrow.  With the reception the game is getting, it's bound to go bomba and get discounted quick.  Sucks because it's really fun for what it is.  Oh well.
:idont
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32664 on: February 14, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
Finally got to play DMC5's demo.

I think i'm finally giving up on this series.
I honestly don't find the humor all that charming, and (more importantly) i just can't gel with the combat, i'll just never get used to dodging with a jump.

I think i'll stick with Bayonetta (and all the Platinum's copycats of it) and hope for a new Ninja Gaiden, then.

Bebpo

« Reply #32665 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »
You mean left/right sidestepping? I mean that’s kinda how all dodging was before Bayo’s instant dodge button.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32666 on: February 14, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
You mean left/right sidestepping? I mean that’s kinda how all dodging was before Bayo’s instant dodge button.
Yeah but like, in Ninja Gaiden i held block, and then i could dodge in any direction.
In DMC you sidestep only if you dodge left/right compared to the character, otherwise you jump, which fucks with my brain.
I dunno, compared to those two other action games, i feel like i'm stuck in place almost.

I do like the arms thing though, it seems like it has a lot of options/depth to explore.

Bebpo

« Reply #32667 on: February 14, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
But in DMC you generally always are holding lock-on so left/right + jump should always dodge.

Did you play DMC1-4? I can see it being odd if you're just coming into the series from NG or Bayo. But it's definitely something I've noticed playing all the games from the start.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32668 on: February 14, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
But in DMC you generally always are holding lock-on so left/right + jump should always dodge.

Did you play DMC1-4? I can see it being odd if you're just coming into the series from NG or Bayo. But it's definitely something I've noticed playing all the games from the start.
I guess i'm not used to lock on that much, in crowded action games (as opposed to slower ones, like Souls).
In Bayo and Ninja Gaiden, you don't really actively lock, for the most part (or at least, i don't).

I finished DMC1 as a kid (when it came out), and played a bit (only got to the first fire centaur boss) in 4, quit that one for the same reason, lol.
I also finished that DmC one, for kicks, though that one has just a regular dodge (didn't hate it, but i also didn't care much about it, and the enemies/world were boring compared to the more gothic DMCs).

I do own them all, incidentally.
I keep buying them just to never play them.

That makes me think also, in Dragon's dogma 2 i mostly played classes with daggers, because they had the roll dodge ability.

I should also point out that i'm very casual when it comes to action games, so most of the subtleties are lost on me, but i do enjoy them.

Bebpo

« Reply #32669 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
Yeah, DMC isn't a crowd control game. A lot of times only one enemy will attack you at a time.

The combat rhythm is you pick an enemy and hold lock button (R1 on Playstation) and do a 1 on 1 fight dance lifting them in the air, air combos, stinger rushes. A lot of your main moves are locked behind R1 for that reason. Then as you're finishing up an enemy you switch over to another enemy to keep your combo going. Nero's arm is a good example of being solely for quick movement from one enemy to the next without losing your combo.

Bosses in DMC are also almost always 1 on 1 fights for the same reason. It's not about crowd control, just focus on one enemy, dodge and go at them with your arsenal of moves in a stylish way.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32670 on: February 14, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
Finished The Stalin Subway, a Russian bargain-bin FPS. I'm conviced it was only made so the devs could model Moscow's subway system and the Kremlin complex. The former is pretty, but makes for some repetitive levels. The latter is barely featured. You just walk from one building to another. Strangely compelling game though, notwithstanding the hammy voice acting, terrible and repetitive midi music (sample), absurd recoil that shakes the entire screen, enemies that tear you to shreds in a second (there's an armour mechanic, but you get it shot off so fast you spend 99% of the game without), corridors upon samey corridors, unclear objectives. And its broken unless you download some files off the forums. A near complete trainwreck. But somehow, I enjoyed it. What is wrong with me?

Also finished Solarix, low-budget sci-fi stealth horror walking sim thing. Good writing and surprisingly great voice-acting for what appears to have been the team's first professional effort.
Where it falls short is combat and tech. Hit detection is wonky and it's difficult to tell how well enemies can see you, despite the Thief-inspired light-gem on your HUD. It also runs like shit with no real options to scale back graphics. Had to play below 1080p, which only slightly improved things.
The developers have since made multiple games in the same universe. One of them, Planet Ancyra Chronicles, came bundled with this, which I only discovered after I had finished this game. It's a retelling of Solarix and DeVoid (which appears to be a more conventional FPS actually, Reframed is the FPS, woops), but re-tooled to be pure walking sims, i.e. the good parts only. ...Sigh.

Currently blasting necromophs in Dead Space: Extraction. :gun Rail-shooter prequel to the original game. Familiar arsenal, enemies and hopeless atmosphere.
The only thing I don't like is the camera. It simulates head movement, but it's so exaggerated it would make you hurl if it worked like that in real life. It thankfully stays still in combat, but not in-between when you're expected to scan the edges of the screen for goodies. Quite frustrating when you spot a weapon upgrade, but fail to grab it because your eyes work like a handheld camcorder.
I also didn't realize that there was a quick-reload system until chapter 7 or so. Must have missed a tutorial pop-up... :doge
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:21:39 PM by Rufus »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32671 on: February 14, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
Yeah, DMC isn't a crowd control game. A lot of times only one enemy will attack you at a time.

The combat rhythm is you pick an enemy and hold lock button (R1 on Playstation) and do a 1 on 1 fight dance lifting them in the air, air combos, stinger rushes. A lot of your main moves are locked behind R1 for that reason. Then as you're finishing up an enemy you switch over to another enemy to keep your combo going. Nero's arm is a good example of being solely for quick movement from one enemy to the next without losing your combo.

Bosses in DMC are also almost always 1 on 1 fights for the same reason. It's not about crowd control, just focus on one enemy, dodge and go at them with your arsenal of moves in a stylish way.
I can see that.
I tried the demo again, and some moves help close the gaps (r1 forward triangle, for example), but i still don't find it very natural or rewarding to play.
I got killed twice at the boss with literally one attack to kill him, and i couldn't be bothered to start the demo from the start a third time.
It's a really easy boss attack pattern wise, but i guess there's something i'm still missing, this feels incredibly slow.

I guess i should first overcome the mental hurdle of forgetting the muscle memory of NG and Bayonetta, but i don't know if i can be arsed to do that, especially since nowadays i have super limited time to play games, and have to select them carefully (still have to play RE2 remake, which i preordered  :'( ).

On a theoretical level i see why people like it, and it's why i keep coming back to it, but when i actually play i just don't like how controlling and moving the caharacter feels.

NG and Bayo i instantly liked instead, so i stuck with those, same with Nier:Auto (which is just a carbon copy of Bayo anyway).
Bayo is very casual friendly, so it could be that, but NG really fucking kicked my ass my first time through, i even sold the game once, when i couldn't get past Alma, but then it felt so good, that i jumped back in with Black and completed both 1 and 2 (normal and sigma) since, and even started a playthrough of Sigma 2 on Master Ninja (though i never got very far there, lol).

I remember when NG clicked for me, is when i thought "i should stop looking at the character ad start looking at the enemies", which sounds dumb now, but really changed the way i played the game, and helped me greatly.
I wonder if there is something that'd make DMC click for me, in the same way.

I feel like i'm missing out, but at the same time, whatever, there's already more games than i can play.

Bebpo

« Reply #32672 on: February 14, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
fwiw I think it's a bad demo. I was bored halfway with the limited combat options and the boss fight was kinda zzz.

But it doesn't turn me off the game, because a game like that starts limited and opens up as you unlock more moves. Basically from the demo I got that the core movement/combat felt solid enough and the graphics are fine and that's all I needed the demo to show me.

If you don't mind the old gfx, I'd recommend giving DMC3 a shot and see if you like it. DMC4 works too just it has repetition/level design issues which hopefully DMC5 won't have.

Bebpo

« Reply #32673 on: February 14, 2019, 06:23:52 PM »
Like you compare DMC4 Nero combo vid

vs. DMC5 one

And 5's obviously a bit more limited because it's just the demo arsenal vs the full movelist from DMC4.

Also if you notice from these videos, a good chunk of the "fun" in the DMC games is making up your own combos for taking out grunts. Otherwise grunt combat is kinda zzz.

Bebpo

« Reply #32674 on: February 14, 2019, 06:25:27 PM »
Also looking at those two, I gotta say I really don't like DMC5's art design, especially Nero. Miss the cape jacket and flowing hair and big blue hand stuff. Anime DMC > Realistic DMC.

But if DMC5 plays good in the end, I won't care what it looks like.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32675 on: February 14, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
The lack of moves is certainly one factor i felt.
However even looking at those videos, DMC5 does look slower than 4, so it wasn't just my impression i guess, side effect of more realistic animations?
It seems to me that DMC is a more static type of action game (in the sense that you move around the arena less than something like NG) and more focused on juggling enemies on the spot, so to speak, so it would follow that limiting the moveset, would be a great hindrance to the enjoyment of the game's base mechanic, compared to something, indeed, like NG where, while some moves do expand the game a lot, the base roll-jump dynamic + UT, is there from the start, and in large part what makes up that game's combat loop.

kingv

« Reply #32676 on: February 14, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »
I feel like going from bayo to dmc is kind of weird because the similarities trip you up.

Bayonets the basic mechanics are more straightforward. Punish dodge, witch time, punish. There is a lot more depth to it than that but you can play competently at all difficulties just by mastering those basic things.

Dmc (at least 3) has a lot more situational moves, and the best way to dodge is not to actually use the dodge button, it’s to jump, which has more i frames than dodge and is easier to continue a combo with.

But at the same time you can feel the similiarities in the dna between the two, so it often feels like you should be able to play them the same way.

I really like both, but dmc took me longer to like. I probably didn’t really enjoy dmc 3 until near the end when I finally started to understand it mechanically.

Edit: also the moves are more necessary in dmc. In bayonetta, the only move I usually really really miss in a new save is the one that lets you turn into a bat on dodge so I can be a little sloppier with my timing. In dmc there are a bunch.

Bebpo

« Reply #32677 on: February 14, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
The lack of moves is certainly one factor i felt.
However even looking at those videos, DMC5 does look slower than 4, so it wasn't just my impression i guess, side effect of more realistic animations?
It seems to me that DMC is a more static type of action game (in the sense that you move around the arena less than something like NG) and more focused on juggling enemies on the spot, so to speak, so it would follow that limiting the moveset, would be a great hindrance to the enjoyment of the game's base mechanic, compared to something, indeed, like NG where, while some moves do expand the game a lot, the base roll-jump dynamic + UT, is there from the start, and in large part what makes up that game's combat loop.

Yeah, your observations are correct, but again we're all judging from an early area demo. I mean if DMC5 at the endgame was the same as the demo I'd be disappointed, but hopefully it'll be great. Just won't know how the combat stands up until the full game is out.

Also at the end of the day Itsuno's mainly made good combat games with DMC3/4 and DD, and only one real shitty one with DMC2, and that was a long time ago, so it's more likely than not the gameplay should end up good in DMC5.

Himu

« Reply #32678 on: February 14, 2019, 07:08:52 PM »
I prefer NG because it's less combo focused. Fighting fodder in DMC is very quite zzz. Combos are cool but I prefer tight gameplay instead and found NG more consistently challenging. Learning the timing to diffuse the explosive shurikens from the exploding ninjas for instance took lots of practice. That type of gameplay interests me more than DMC. I still like DMC though. I just find a lot of its appeal (combos) to be less my thing the older I get.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32679 on: February 14, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
I like all 3

NG is most intense because normal combat can always kill you. Gotta keep moving.

DMC has the best boss fights when done right (most of 3, Creedo in 4) because the 1 on 1 combat is tight af. Plus combos are fun. Also has the best leveling up system imo and variety of moves between playable characters and styles.

Bayo has best over the top set pieces and 1 on 1 combat is great and pretty close to DMC. Has better crowd control than dmc because large AoE moves, but not as intense as NG because dodge window is large and invincible.

Just my personal preferences. Wish we’d get another proper NG since we’re getting DMC5 and Bayo 3.

kingv

« Reply #32680 on: February 14, 2019, 08:07:08 PM »
I haven’t replayed ninja gaiden in a long long time. I need to make time to do that this year.

I’ll probably really enjoy it after so long.

Himu

« Reply #32681 on: February 14, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »
I talked to Iconoclast and he said NG3: Razor's Edge is legit. I watched him play it and he told me to check it out for my NG fix.

I think NG has the best boss fights especially on higher modes. They actually change strategies depending on the mode you're fighting. NG is one of the few games where hard and harder modes are actually well designed. They use strategies and sometimes even whole moves they wouldn't use on Normal mode. They're almost always one v one as well, at least on normal.

I could never get into Bayo. It never clicked with me in any shape or form. One problem I had was how many moves you have access to out the gate and it doesn't feel like any are particularly good. I like having moves incrementally introduced so I can master them like NG and DMC.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:57:00 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32682 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:02 PM »
I've never touched any version of NG3. Maybe I should try that one.

kingv

« Reply #32683 on: February 14, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
NG3 is the  one Wii U game I regret never starting before I sold it off.

I think I paid like $19 for it too.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32684 on: February 15, 2019, 04:15:41 AM »
NG3:RE is more maps for NG2 gameplay so that's good. But the bosses are still terrible. What's really underappreciated though is NG DS.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32685 on: February 15, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
NG3:RE is more maps for NG2 gameplay so that's good. But the bosses are still terrible. What's really underappreciated though is NG DS.
I didn't play 3 (aside from the WiiU demo) but i did play that one.
It was very fun for a DS 3d action game, but the difficulty was weird.
Game was super super easy up until the final boss, which had an absurd difficulty spike.

Regardless, it was really fun to play, even though not really on the level of the regular games.
I'm happy they tried something new, instead of making a 2.5 version of the OG Ninja Gaiden ones.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32686 on: February 15, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
I played NG3 and it was terrible. Razor's Edge or whatever might be a different story.
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32687 on: February 15, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
I played NG3 and it was terrible. Razor's Edge or whatever might be a different story.
Yep, the constant interruption for that bone breaking bullshit, completely destroyed the pace of combat.

« Reply #32688 on: February 15, 2019, 09:52:13 AM »
Rimworld, Ice Sheet biome.

Lost my leaders nose to frostbite so I think I’ll need to install a prisoner organ harvesting mod to .....correct the issue.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32689 on: February 15, 2019, 07:50:31 PM »
The best Ninja Gaiden bit was NG2 pre-patch. There's a certain point near the end where enemy after enemy comes at you and the screen is just red, red, red with blood as the Xbox 360 could barely keep up.
The Wii U version of NG3 was pretty good as well. I was hoping they'd do Ninja Gaiden 4, but that's Nioh in a way I guess. NG3 wasn't very memorable though. I can hardly remember anything from that game.

Bayonetta 2 was nice as a sort of rollercoaster ride but I never felt the urge to replay it.
The first game seemed more balanced and better thought out. I was a bit surprised when they announced 3. It didn't seem to need another sequel.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32690 on: February 15, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
I'd say 2 being like that is why 3 needs to exist to send it out on a high note.

kingv

« Reply #32691 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
I don’t agree that Bayonetta 1 is better than 2.

I will say that the first 1 has a better final boss and story, but 2 is an overall better game.

When I replay bayonetta 1 there are multiple parts that are just bad and I wish I could skip. Any of the space harrier and motorcycle stages as well as that one level where you are on top of cars on the highway. All those parts basically suck.

It has less forgiving timing and is harder because of that and infinite climax is really powerful in 2, but 2 feels smoother and is a tighter experience imo. That’s modern kamiya’s biggest flaw and it’s really heavy in wonderful 101 too. He likes to go away from the core gameplay too often into some weird jankfest type shit. And bayo 1 has a lot of it.

kingv

« Reply #32692 on: February 15, 2019, 08:32:09 PM »
Ive replayed 2 more times than 1.

But you can probably beat both of them in 4-5 hours a piece once you’re good at them if you skip cutscenes.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32693 on: February 15, 2019, 09:09:27 PM »
I preferred 1 to 2, felt 2's boss fights tended to drag on a tad and I wasn't crazy about the mid air combat battles.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #32694 on: February 15, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
I just liked the core combat and enemies better in 1 /shrug

2 felt a lot easier and less intense and fun and the story was awful and the non-combat exploration was awful. But yes, the non-combat stuff in Bayo 1 like the mini-games are pretty shit too. It's just the core combat feels great to me in 1. I remember those heaven/hell type enemies in 1 being the most fun & rewarding enemies to fight in either game on the high difficulties.

I've never replayed 2 though. 1 I beat like a bunch of times and 2 I beat maybe on hard once and was good. Wouldn't mind replaying it now that I've hooked up my Wii U again.

Himu

« Reply #32695 on: February 15, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
No way is 2 easier than 1.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32696 on: February 15, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »
Bayo1 has the combat, but the level design is pure shit. Full of trial & error and amateurish non-combat sections. 2 is way better, but hard is now what normal difficulty was before (and normal is easy). Other than that, only the lame flying sections were overused. Also 2 has one of the best intros ever.

Himu

« Reply #32697 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:15 PM »
Oh, I thought you meant NG 1 and 2 lmao
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32698 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:40 PM »
Bayo1 has the combat, but the level design is pure shit. Full of trial & error and amateurish non-combat sections. 2 is way better, but hard is now what normal difficulty was before (and normal is easy). Other than that, only the lame flying sections were overused. Also 2 has one of the best intros ever.

Sounds like I'd like 2 more. Never played it.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32699 on: February 16, 2019, 01:43:20 AM »
Tried some PS+ freebies that had been sitting around for a while on my XMB.

Onrush - This game feels like it'd be one of the multiplayer modes in a burnout game that people would play for a few days and then never touch again and stick to the single player. Like it's competent and sorta fun but it feels like a F2P indie game kinda one-note concept of multiplayer team racing burnout style. If it was a F2P or indie game sure, but how did they ever try to sell this as a full game?

Dead by Daylight - Finally tried this popular series and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan is this more jank than I expected. I dunno if it's just the PS4 version running at like 30fps or less but the animations/lack of animations and graphics feel like I'm playing a Left for Dead mod. The gameplay concept seems fine, but I couldn't get into it and I don't like how there is a leveling system that actually effects gameplay so everyone at max levels is gonna be way better than you at the start. Also seems like a game that'd be more fun to watch on a stream than play.