Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558932 times)

Himu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32880 on: March 09, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »
Skyrim is probably the most overrated game of the decade. Real talk. The definition of style over substance. At first it’s great and it captures your imagination. Then you’re 70 hours in and realize the game is dog shit, that despite being an rpg you make zero impact on its world and that its “choices” are superficial. Bad game.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32881 on: March 09, 2019, 12:31:13 PM »
What style? Looking exceptionally ugly?

It's more quantity over quality ain't it?

Himu

« Reply #32882 on: March 09, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
What style? Looking exceptionally ugly?

It's more quantity over quality ain't it?

Yeah I guess that’s so. But I mean more the style of gameplay rather than aesthetics. It presumes to have to depth by offering 9999 options and yet has none of it. Very deceptive game.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #32883 on: March 09, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
Fixin' to triple dip on Skyrim VR.  Love it... Jank and all.
 :bow Jeremy Soule  :bow2

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32884 on: March 09, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
Mass Effect Andromeda completed at 98%  :whew

Screw the haters, if you liked Mass Effect 1-2-3 you'll like this in its current form. You just need to get past the 'tutorial' bit which lasts way too long.
In general, that is the biggest issue with the game. The size of it. There's a lot padding in some places and it doesn't benefit much from being an open world game.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32885 on: March 09, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »
I still need to play 3. I loved 1 & 2, but skipped 3 after the backlash. When I tried to play it years later the call of duty opening and mechanics felt really dated and borderline unplayable and I never went back

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32886 on: March 09, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »
I still need to play 3. I loved 1 & 2, but skipped 3 after the backlash. When I tried to play it years later the call of duty opening and mechanics felt really dated and borderline unplayable and I never went back
With Mass Effect you have to get into the groove or zone or whatever. You hop from planet to planet, collecting stuff, talking to aliens, taking in the views.
I always take these games slow and allow the story to play out. I guess that's why I like it more than people who sorta rush through it.

It also helps that I'm a sucker for sci-fi.

Took you some time :lol

Good that you beat the game, Nintex. It is way better than 6/10 and I think did not deserve the trashing it got back then.

Still the characters were dull, the new races a joke (biped humanoids) and I didn't care about Ryder (no one in the world cared).

I wish ME5 goes back to Milky Way/ Shepard.
My Ryder is a sarcastic bitch and pretty cool. I looked up some cutscenes wondering if they play out differently with GuyRyder and it seems the game was written more for FemRyder than GuyRyder.
As for characters, Drack's always awesome and Vetra, Jaal and Peebee seemed ok. Liam, Cora and most other humans were a snorefest and some of the more interesting characters (Reyes) are not on the main crew.

The goofy stuff and jank has always been a part of Mass Effect. It easily went up to an 8/10 on average for me, perhaps even 9/10 in some spots but also a few 4/10 bits.
Overall though, best 5 Euro bargain in years. It feels like more people are coming back around it. Angry Joe mentioned that in hindsight (compared to Anthem) Andromeda wasn't all that bad.
They should've just never shipped it with the broken animations and dead eyes.
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32887 on: March 09, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »
Skyrim is probably the most overrated game of the decade. Real talk. The definition of style over substance. At first it’s great and it captures your imagination. Then you’re 70 hours in and realize the game is dog shit, that despite being an rpg you make zero impact on its world and that its “choices” are superficial. Bad game.

Nah, Skyrim is p good.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #32888 on: March 10, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
Finished up all the pre-post-game side stuff (counting the lvl.40 elephants, and lvl.40+ god trials as post-game) in main game AC Origins before heading up to the top-left final area of quests and MSQ. Kinda annoyed that I got all the stone circles and to the ancient mechanism under the Sphinx only to find out it needs 50 collectable items and I have 39 and to get the rest I'd have to revisit all the tombs I've done and search every nook and cranny for Silica that I missed (googled and there's 99 in the game and you need 70 total so I'm missing 41 scattered somewhere). I was even willing to pay dumb Ubisoft a couple bucks on their cheat store to just buy some silica but they sell everything else in the game accept that because they still want you to waste time on collectibles /sigh

I youtubed the cutscene and futuristic outfit you get from it. Good enough. Gonna finish up the game in another session or two and try to take down the Elephants and then call it good until next steam sale in a few months where I'll pick up the 2 DLCs and play them.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32889 on: March 10, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »
I beat Cosmic Star Heroine, with the platinum. Unfortunately, a few of the later game bosses had glitched trophies, so I had to go back and play through some parts again just so the trophies would trigger. Great game aside from aforementioned trophy bugs, really nice music and some pretty good production values for an indie RPG.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #32890 on: March 10, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
AC Origins - Kinda rushed through the last section and mostly just did the MSQ collecting all the sidequests to do after the ending. Beat the main story and maaaannnn that took a long time. Went on and on and on.

Pretty good story for an AC game. The last bit is definitely rushed with tons happening and targets getting killed left and right and having the same problem as every.single.AC.game at being terrible at showing the passage of time (so like you're buddies with someone and the next cutscene they're trying to kill you because it's like 2 years later), but I enjoyed it. The origins of the Assassin Creed stuff was fine and works. I liked Bayek a lot. Aya was alright too. And some of the side characters were good.

I feel like the game has the most writing/character development of all the AC games for Bayek simply because there's like 125 quests in the game for him to interact with people and do stuff with. That's a lot! Game is very long. Could have problem used some trimming to cut it down by 1/4th or something. I still have 19 sidequests left to finish up now + 4 elephant battles.

Egypt was cool to explore, combat was pretty solid and way better than any of the past games. Game still struggles with stealth a bit and never manages to be able to have good recovery from mistakes so you just end up fighting a bunch of people. When you do get a perfect stealth run in on a 3-star fort it's pretty satisfying. Did that for the last boss guy in Cyrene and that was fun. The star maps were good, the pulley weight puzzles in tombs were awful, the papyrus riddles were great.

I liked the abilities map, although it's interesting that at lvl.40 with all tombs and stuff done that give AP points outside the 4 elephants (so +4 more points) I'm still nowhere close to getting all the abilities. Guessing you gotta play through the DLCs to have enough AP to unlock everything which is ok but feels a little weird that you're still missing some abilities at the end of the main game. Most of the abilities are pretty useless though.

I'm 53 hours now, so yeah after I do the remaining stuff I'll be done in 60 and it looks like the DLCs should be about 5 and 15. I looked up Odyssey and it seems like it's about 20 hours long than Origins so would probably take me about 80 for the main game doing the same amount of stuff. Can't see myself playing Odyssey. I liked this experience but I don't need it again for 80 hours of my life. These games are really easy to get burnt out on because the repetition and general shallowness. I even got pretty burnt out by the end of today playing like 6-7 hours straight. Works better in small doses every few days.

Origins at the end of the day was a good action-rpg adventure. It's not super polished (especially performance on PC, though I only discovered today about Windows 10's GAME MODE which seems to fix the stuttering a lot) and it's bloated and all the systems are kinda shallow but it's a fun world to explore, the quests are generally good, and there's a million forts to stealth through if you ever want to stealth through a fort.

I also liked the callback to AC2 in the ending with it taking place in

spoiler (click to show/hide)
playable Rome.
[close]

Also the real world stuff was ok, I thought they were going somewhere with the previous games about Minerva and shit but this didn't seem to go that direction?

So since I'm not going to play Odyssey, is Odyssey about the origins of the Templars/The Order then since Origins is about the origins of the Assassin's? Also what happens in the real world story in Odyssey? Do you play as the character from Origins? I'm still not getting the feeling their setting up a specific ending for the real world stuff post-Desmond. It just sorta is whatever. I forgot which one had the FPS in the Abstergo tower (was that Unity or Black Flag?) but I kinda liked that one. Was at least the most memorable real world section post-AC3.

It's hard to rank the game with the other AC games because it's so looooooooooong and kinda different. Like it's definitely one of the good ones that's worth playing, but like did I like it more than Syndicate? Idk, Syndicate is such a different experience being all totally silly/campy comedy game against circus villians in victorian london with hookshot and carriage racing and stuff. Origins definitely has the better "story" but it's hard to compare them. If I had to, I'd rank the AC games like this so far not having played Rogue or Odyssey or the AC3 DLC because fuck AC3.

AC2 > Black Flag = Origins = Syndicate = AC2 Brotherhood, all for different strengths > AC2 Revelations > AC1 > Unity > Black Flag Expansion > Unity Expansion > Syndicate Expansion > AC3 Liberations > AC3
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:06:05 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32891 on: March 10, 2019, 11:36:27 PM »
Game mode is not supposed to make any kind of real difference IIRC, but if it works, it works.

Origins is the first game tested here.

EDIT: Looks like it can make a difference on older setups. Maybe that's it?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #32892 on: March 10, 2019, 11:55:46 PM »
I dunno, Origins would play fine for a while and then start stuttering a lot when it was auto-saving (and it autosaves every 10 seconds or something) and I had some hard crashes so I googled and people were talking about fixing it by messing with the ram usage of windows which keeps the recently used data stored and was using like 3-6gb of ram and then someone was like you don't have to go in and delete all that data, just turn on game mode and it prioritize ram usage for the game and less for windows. So I did that and it seemed to get rid of the stutters even after a while of playing.

Bebpo

« Reply #32893 on: March 11, 2019, 01:02:13 AM »
Read up on Odyssey's plot and real world story since not gonna play it most likely. Hmmm...so it's just

early assassin type character vs early templars again?
[close]

Doesn't seem like it adds much to the lore?

Bebpo

« Reply #32894 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:26 AM »
One other thing about Origins was at first I was annoyed there was no database for the historical figures/locations/events going on, but it forced me to use wikipedia instead which I think turned out to be a much better database as link within link I learned a shitload about what was going on in Rome and Egypt at the time and the various figures involved and their life stories. Was a very educational game.

Bebpo

« Reply #32895 on: March 11, 2019, 03:58:50 AM »
Man, the trial of the gods fights in Origin are pretty terrible. Ubisoft or at least the AC team should stay away from God of War style giant boss fights. Ranged only? Ewwwww. At least the loot is good. Got an Anubis sword with combo multiplier and heal on hit and using it against the elephants really really helped since if you keep a combo going at like 4-5x damage they go down fast.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32896 on: March 11, 2019, 05:27:36 AM »
Read up on Odyssey's plot and real world story since not gonna play it most likely. Hmmm...so it's just

[close]

Odyssey's story was ultimately more about the precursors (modern plot) than any of the assassin/templar conflict.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32897 on: March 11, 2019, 07:33:20 AM »
i doubt ubisoft even remembers what the original endgame of the modern day plot was

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32898 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:03 AM »

[close]

It retcons Desmond's death and makes all those games absolutely useless. It's clear Ubi had no idea what to do after Desmond so they figured, fuck it lets do it again with a chick
fat

Himu

« Reply #32899 on: March 11, 2019, 08:51:19 AM »
What happened to Desmond?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32900 on: March 11, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
he... died?
fat

Himu

« Reply #32901 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
How’d he die? Did he die during the escape? What happen to the story after?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32902 on: March 11, 2019, 09:55:26 AM »
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #32903 on: March 11, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
He died way back in III, Cindi. They like use his DNA to power a gaming device or something now I don't even remember what the frame was before they got to the precursor stuff.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32904 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:12 AM »
The "big bad" at the end of AC3 (Juno) was also killed off in some random comic as well.

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Juno
fat

Himu

« Reply #32905 on: March 11, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
This sounds so dumb. It makes me made this series continues to exist while prince of Persia maintains stuck in perpetual limbo.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32906 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »
This sounds so dumb. It makes me made this series continues to exist while prince of Persia maintains stuck in perpetual limbo.
AC is way more interesting of a premise, and has much more potential, than PoP.
Sands of Time was a fun platformer, and i even liked that movie tie-in one (forgotten Sands?) but there wasn't much else to do with it, aside from a more drastic reboot.
Assassin's Creed is about exploring historical settings as a Batman-like figure first, and discovering about the stupid lore shit second (or third, or fourth).
and as far as the first point goes, they're doing pretty well at the moment, Origins was a peak for the series they didn't hit since 2/Brotherhood in my opinion, and this new gameplay formula works really well for both dense cities, and more larger, natural areas.
There just aren't many "historical games" in the action genre (or anything but strategy games, really).

TL;DR: AC has a lot of places left to go as a series, PoP not as many.
Not that i wouldn't enjoy a new Prince of Persia though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32907 on: March 11, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
If they can keep cranking out AC games, there's no reason why they can't do the same with PoP games.  And where's Splinter Cell?
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #32908 on: March 11, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
Prince of Persia (2008) :rejoice

just iterate off the gameplay, no need to ruin that ending tho

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32909 on: March 11, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »
If they can keep cranking out AC games, there's no reason why they can't do the same with PoP games.  And where's Splinter Cell?
If all AC games were set in the same setting, i don't think they could.
Though granted "Prince of Persia" is seldom set in Persia for real.

No way SC is not coming back after all the teasing, but i'm not sure it'll be something people fans will like, given the direction Siege has gone in.
I loved Blacklist, so i'd even just be happy with more levels for that one.  :yeshrug

benjipwns

« Reply #32910 on: March 11, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »
Both PoP and SC underperformed Ubi's expectations. Blacklist "failing" was why Jade Raymond left for EA.

I think the same thing has happened to Watch Dogs.

Ass Creed they were doing at least two games at once so it hasn't been in the same kind of position to get canned as at least one always manages to "save" it. The current Tom Clancy games have all been ones with legs that turned into semi-ongoing setups.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:27:15 PM by benjipwns »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32911 on: March 11, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »

The one that shipped with the game, or the one they added as DLC? :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #32912 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
The PC didn't get the Epilogue so therefore it isn't canon to me. :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32913 on: March 11, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »
There's not really very many 3D puzzle platformers a la POP anymore, while open world Ubi-style games are a dime a dozen... POP definitely fulfills an underserved niche.
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32914 on: March 11, 2019, 03:03:13 PM »
Don't fight the expansion of the medium, man. It's OK that this too is called "video game." :heart

« Reply #32915 on: March 11, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »
2008 Prince of Persia's epilogue DLC was such a shit, totally ruined the game as one of my favourites from last gen. Did they release it just because they planned to make that shitty as DS game as its sequel?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32916 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
PoP 2008?  :dayum

But i like Sassin Creed, so who am i to judge?

Bebpo

« Reply #32917 on: March 11, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
I liked 2008 but it was boring to play. AC is deffo better than that.

SoT trilogy is still legit great. Replayed all 3 like five years back and they’re fun good puzzle platformers. Forgotten Sands was serviceable too. I miss when AC actually tried to have puzzle platforming/climbing and it was a challenge to get to the top of towers. Oh well.

« Reply #32918 on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
It was a beautiful, colourful game released at a time where most of the games had the brown filter going on. The game play with it basically being fail proof and the on rail platforming were not ideal but after you cleared a level, exploration and collecting the seeds were very enjoyable and chilled out. The story and the Unchartized script were also pretty fun. Over all it was just a fun casual gaming experience.

benjipwns

« Reply #32919 on: March 12, 2019, 05:15:14 PM »
The platforming wasn't exactly no fail/on-rails. Instead what they did was realize modern games didn't punish you for screwing up platforming anyway and put the checkpoints closer. You could still at times have to repeat large sections depending on where you failed.

What they did was go the other way and give you a benefit for mastering the timings. If you were timed right you would skip the little fights, it also sped up how fast you moved through areas. Basically the ideal is that you never stop moving. But it's so lenient that you can play the whole game and not realize how often you're being stopped momentarily or longer with the little fights.

In earlier games you would just go back to the start of the room or something which only seems like a larger punishment. They could have just sent you back to the various multi-direction platforms in the open world (and IIRC, they do more of this when the area's still blackened) but they stuck you where you screwed up or had the princess bail you out instead.

benjipwns

« Reply #32920 on: March 12, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »
The "never stopping" goal also got me more into the story than I expected. There's almost no mid-area cutscenes after the start except for when you take down the warriors, the princess' exposition about the world is given all while you're platforming as part of their banter. So is all the backstory and personality. Also it was fun how much it stuck to Zoroastrianist concepts and themes for everything.

I also like that no matter what order you choose to fight the warriors the first is the easiest and the last is the hardest. You won't see entire parts of the fight against the one you choose first.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32921 on: March 12, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »
Been playing Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Game holds up pretty well! Its gameplay ideas are well executed and the map design is tight. Great VA from the guy that plays Wei Shen. I already have all the achievements on the standard edition but the remaster lets me get them all again :hump

I'll never know why I don't have a pork bun in my hand though  :'(

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #32922 on: March 13, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »
I loved Sleeping Dogs.  It's the only game that I've ever Platinumed.  It helps that I'm a huge Hong Kong film nerd as well, the little touches like one of the special outfits being Andy Lau from Fulltime Killer are awesome.  Shame we'll never get a sequel.  Supposedly there is a live action movie in the works with Donnie Yen.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32923 on: March 13, 2019, 01:46:47 PM »

10/10 video game.

Bebpo

« Reply #32924 on: March 13, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
I love Sleeping Dogs, one of my favorite GTA sandbox games. I totally forgot the karaoke has Wei actually signing the lyrics. So amazing. That makes Sleeping Dogs karaoke > Yakuza karaoke although I think Kiryu does sing in a few of them but in the last one I played Y3 he didn't sing.

« Reply #32925 on: March 13, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »

PoP 2008 was amazing.

:bow
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #32926 on: March 13, 2019, 08:04:31 PM »
AC Origins

Finished up the remaining 19 quests which spawned about 10 more quests and cleared them all. At this point totally finished with Origins! Even fought and killed the 3 god trials after I saw a speedrun using a 5 shot at a time bow to speed up the grind of the fights. Yeah, took me almost exactly 60 hours in the end.

In the end after exploring the whole world, doing all the sidequests and the main story and all the forts...I really liked it! The diablo loot doesn't seem like a big deal until you're at endgame and you start getting crazy good stuff that actually changes up how you play. Like the bow I was using was precision zoom-in bow w/ stealth/critical with elevation multiplier. So I'd just climb up a fort/base/hideout and take out the lookout near arrow refill station and just snipe everyone including the commanders/generals and then go down and get the treasures. It's pretty cool being all stealthy arrow guy sometimes in addition to normal stealthy.

I even managed to find exactly 50 silica by the end and was able to open the final 50 silica thing and get the futuristic Isu armor which looks great.

If I had a few changes I could make to the game it'd be that the game could use more random events to make the world feel alive with gameplay stuff to do as you're roaming around. It pretty much is just forts/animal lairs. The sidequests are good because they at least give some story to them but doing stuff outside of questing is a bit repetitive.

I'd also add a fast travel spot in the desert to the south because the nearest ones are like 2,000km away and it's a pain in the butt to go out there if you have to. The lights in the desert quest there was pretty cool though.

I'd also make armor have stats. All the armor sets look uglier than Bayek's standard suit, no point in using anything besides that or the Isu armor. I'd love if armor sets have unique abilities or stats to them so it'd feel good to get a new armor set with some cool stuff on it. Like the Isu armor should have some hi-tech camo mode or some shit.

Anyhow, gonna finish up watching the discovery tours which are great and I've already seen about a quarter of them. Then will uninstall it until next steam sale when the DLCs are 50% off or more. I'm actually looking forward to playing both DLCs since I want more quests and places to explore.

*edit* After this I saw the thread about huge sale on Ubistore and looked and both DLCs were $3 and $7 so $10 total and I jumped on it thinking that my steam base game has given me an independant uplay copy since I can load the game straight from uplay without loading up steam so I should be able to play the DLCs inside it if I launch it from uplay. But nope, turns out this is a thing and I need to re-buy the main game on uplay store or re-buy the dlc on steam. /sigh, guess I just gave ubi a $10 donation. Will wait for these DLC to go on-sale on steam like I originally planned.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:24:33 PM by Bebpo »

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #32927 on: March 14, 2019, 12:36:42 AM »
Finished Final Fantasy III/6 on Snes emulated on my Vita (#vitaislife)
Then, finished Final Fantasy I remake on my Vita.

Should I bother with FF2 remake? Or play Salt & Sanctuary?

Bebpo

« Reply #32928 on: March 14, 2019, 12:43:32 AM »
You ever play 2? I hadn’t and as long as you’re not playing the original that’s broken, it’s worth a play. Gives me FF12 vibes a bit with the empire feel.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #32929 on: March 14, 2019, 01:40:18 AM »
ok, i thought about playing all of them again, so i'll give FF2 a bash.. i'll be playing the PSP remake on Vita...

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32930 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:06 AM »
After playing more Sleeping Dogs I think the game is so good because the content is varied and delivered in bite sized chunks. A mission will have you follow a guy for a minute, than snap some pics then Wei will talk to his boss for 30 seconds. Boom mission over. Straight to the point, no fluff. If you want to fight you can do a fight club - boom experience points and you beat up several assholes. The you can go on a date and hunt for some collectibles or some shit. All in a very tight map thats easily traversable by foot and motorcycles quickly. Even the story is engaging and well acted, with snappy exposition and clearly defined characters, like a good movie, you're rooting for the main guy.

All in all a really really well designed sandbox game and I think it should be a genre touchstone. A case study of great sandbox design. Even more impressive given its troubled development.  :clap United Front Games - we hardly knew ye

Bebpo

« Reply #32931 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:57 AM »
Tried the first hour of Mutant Road Zero by ex-Hitman/Payday devs srpg that's thankfully short 12-15 hour campaign. Seems really polished compared to like Shadowrun/Battletech/Wasteland 2 but you can't rotate the camera angle vertically at all which means with the isometric view sometimes it's hard to see what's in front of you which seems like a dumb thing since like every other crpg/srpg these days lets you adjust the camera down closer. Also not really a negative but there's no way to heal outside expensive limited medkits the entire game so you carry damage from fight to fight and enemies kill you in 1-2 shots. On normal you regen, hard you only regen up to 50% of your health so if you're at 50% health no regen and it means starting every fight with 1 hit = death, and very hard regens nothing. Will have to see how balanced that is, can't think of any other rpg/srpg I've ever played where you carry your damage the entire game from start to finish with no place to rest and heal for cheap/free.

Himu

« Reply #32932 on: March 14, 2019, 05:52:13 AM »
After playing more Sleeping Dogs I think the game is so good because the content is varied and delivered in bite sized chunks. A mission will have you follow a guy for a minute, than snap some pics then Wei will talk to his boss for 30 seconds. Boom mission over. Straight to the point, no fluff. If you want to fight you can do a fight club - boom experience points and you beat up several assholes. The you can go on a date and hunt for some collectibles or some shit. All in a very tight map thats easily traversable by foot and motorcycles quickly. Even the story is engaging and well acted, with snappy exposition and clearly defined characters, like a good movie, you're rooting for the main guy.

All in all a really really well designed sandbox game and I think it should be a genre touchstone. A case study of great sandbox design. Even more impressive given its troubled development.  :clap United Front Games - we hardly knew ye

Sleeping dogs has been on the list for years. Gotta play it.
IYKYK

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #32933 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »

That's a big reason why I like it so much.  Very little bloat, especially compared to the UbiSoft formula.

Bebpo

« Reply #32934 on: March 14, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »

As the Shenmue expert here, I'm surprised you never played this. Get on it!

Himu

« Reply #32935 on: March 14, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »

As the Shenmue expert here, I'm surprised you never played this. Get on it!

I've wanted to. I wanted to get the regular version last gen. Then they upgrade the steam version to the next gen version and I didn't have a system powerful enough to play it. Then I forgot about it. I'll get on it this year when I make a new pc.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32936 on: March 14, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
You can play it on a toaster so yea you know

What

Himu

« Reply #32937 on: March 14, 2019, 06:53:43 PM »
You can play it on a toaster so yea you know

(Image removed from quote.)

I have the game on steam and have had it for years. Unfortunately my last computer struggled running it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32938 on: March 14, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »
Runs on a toaster my ass.

I just downloaded it and it still runs like shit.

Shut the fuck up mmrasu.

Those mother fuckers at Square Enix replaced the regular Sleeping Dogs with a next generation version. So Definitive Version is my only option.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #32939 on: March 14, 2019, 08:07:25 PM »
It's not replaced, you keep both versions.

On the original make sure you have the HD Texture Pack unchecked.