Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559709 times)

Himu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32940 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
It's not replaced, you keep both versions.

On the original make sure you have the HD Texture Pack unchecked.

I don’t have the original only definitive version. They too  Sleeping Dogs off Steam and put only Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition. So when I wanted to play Sleepy my only option was to buy Definitive Edition.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #32941 on: March 14, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
it goes on sale on ps4 constantly for like $10 or under so just wait for a sale

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32942 on: March 14, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
you can buy an original key on Amazon for $20, only place that still seems to be selling it unfortunately

Himu

« Reply #32943 on: March 14, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
Another reason I don’t like digital. I wish they made physical copies of pc games more often rather than just putting them on Steam. BG1&2 Enhanced do not have physical releases for instance and I want physical. :(

Digital buyers are suckers.

I’m a sucker. :(
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32944 on: March 14, 2019, 09:10:14 PM »
They did physical releases of those, but it was limited number and way back at release.

They just announced they're putting out physical copies for the console versions, no idea if they'll do PC ones again though.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32945 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »
Tried the first hour of Mutant Road Zero by ex-Hitman/Payday devs srpg that's thankfully short 12-15 hour campaign. Seems really polished compared to like Shadowrun/Battletech/Wasteland 2 but you can't rotate the camera angle vertically at all which means with the isometric view sometimes it's hard to see what's in front of you which seems like a dumb thing since like every other crpg/srpg these days lets you adjust the camera down closer. Also not really a negative but there's no way to heal outside expensive limited medkits the entire game so you carry damage from fight to fight and enemies kill you in 1-2 shots. On normal you regen, hard you only regen up to 50% of your health so if you're at 50% health no regen and it means starting every fight with 1 hit = death, and very hard regens nothing. Will have to see how balanced that is, can't think of any other rpg/srpg I've ever played where you carry your damage the entire game from start to finish with no place to rest and heal for cheap/free.

Just beat that today, actually! I really enjoyed it, despite the end-game feeling a bit rushed. Will definitely grab a sequel if one comes out.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32946 on: March 14, 2019, 09:40:19 PM »
Playing Monster Boy - it's pretty good so far, lovely graphics... but while I LOVE the eyepatch chainsmoking pig, playing as him is not as fun... no reach for attacks forcing you to rely on spells... so these first few areas have been pretty frustrating to say the least.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #32947 on: March 14, 2019, 11:58:59 PM »
Tried the first hour of Mutant Road Zero by ex-Hitman/Payday devs srpg that's thankfully short 12-15 hour campaign. Seems really polished compared to like Shadowrun/Battletech/Wasteland 2 but you can't rotate the camera angle vertically at all which means with the isometric view sometimes it's hard to see what's in front of you which seems like a dumb thing since like every other crpg/srpg these days lets you adjust the camera down closer. Also not really a negative but there's no way to heal outside expensive limited medkits the entire game so you carry damage from fight to fight and enemies kill you in 1-2 shots. On normal you regen, hard you only regen up to 50% of your health so if you're at 50% health no regen and it means starting every fight with 1 hit = death, and very hard regens nothing. Will have to see how balanced that is, can't think of any other rpg/srpg I've ever played where you carry your damage the entire game from start to finish with no place to rest and heal for cheap/free.

Just beat that today, actually! I really enjoyed it, despite the end-game feeling a bit rushed. Will definitely grab a sequel if one comes out.

What difficulty and how did you feel about the health regen balance?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32948 on: March 15, 2019, 06:21:44 AM »
You can play it on a toaster so yea you know

(Image removed from quote.)

Plus it's likely a bargain basement price - I had the DR to it via claiming it via Xbox Games with Gold a year or two back.

Play it Cindi :heartbeat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32949 on: March 15, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »

Started on Hard, but bumped it down to Normal about halfway through. Probably would have stayed with Hard if there was a way to regain full health without using medkits, like going back to the Ark and using money or something.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #32950 on: March 16, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »

Started on Hard, but bumped it down to Normal about halfway through. Probably would have stayed with Hard if there was a way to regain full health without using medkits, like going back to the Ark and using money or something.

I tried playing some more of this and I'm feeling kinda mixed on it, the balance seems kind of straight up wacked at parts and there's a lot of reliance on 75% or 50% hit chances which if you miss (and you will miss a lot at those rates) it can be save/reload trial & error which isn't fun.

Like the enemy HP gets very bloated, very quickly. With all enemies having 16 HP + armor or 26 HP + armor in groups all tightly together. And any non-silenced weapon makes noise and then everyone is alerted and unless you're right up in their face it's hard to get 100% accuracy shots.

I watched some videos to get strategies and it seems like for the whole game you're supposed to hide a lot and wait for enemies to move slightly apart and then stealth hog rush them and then silenced weapons take them out one at a time, which seems kinda boring.

It just feels like there isn't a good middle ground balance for stealth combat start -> regular battles. It also feels like the game is only balanced at all if you are exploring everywhere and doing every fight. Like I got to the Sea of Titans with Brother Bodin and I'm lvl.9 or 10 and I watched a vid and they were lvl.15.

The game reminds me a lot of Jrpg sprgs like X360's Operation Darkness where there's a lot of jank underneath the hood in terms of balance vs something like X-com/Shadowrun/Valkyrie Chronicles which feels a little more fair.

That being said, I'm still early on without a lot of abilities or weapon upgrades so hopefully it'll get better. The presentation is really good and the art direction is A++, just not in love with the gameplay yet.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32951 on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:50 AM »
A nice little trick I figure out is that Bormin's charge attack is basically a silenced attack. It won't draw attention from nearby enemies unless you use it right in front of them.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #32952 on: March 16, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »
A nice little trick I figure out is that Bormin's charge attack is basically a silenced attack. It won't draw attention from nearby enemies unless you use it right in front of them.

Yeah, that's what I said about hog rush :P

I actually haven't used that yet. After I stopped my session I watched some vids and saw that was the main strategy to rush knock them down with Bormin and then stealth shoot them to death.

Bebpo

« Reply #32953 on: March 16, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Ok, yeah after going to the optional area I hadn't been yet (Fallen Angel) and getting the 3rd silenced pistol, killing the guys to get from lvl.9 -> lvl.13, getting Bormin's hog rush, upgraded my 3 silenced weapons to lvl.2, and getting some extra gear for more HP/armor/critical damage...the game is a lot more manageable :P

Just finished the Sea Titans part and got to the House of Bones. Around lvl.18 now and the girl's AoE skill to stop movement + Hog rush is really helpful. I'd dropped down to normal, but I'm gonna up it back to hard on House of Bones now because Sea Titans was a little too easy with all the stuff I have now.

The only thing I wish the game had was a button to redo your last command if it was a non-shooting command. Sometimes I'll accidently move somewhere I don't want to and then I'm stuck and it messes up the whole fight so I just reload. It's also hard to tell if a nearby enemy is going to be alerted. Like if there's 2 enemies and they're apart enough their circles don't overlap, even if you fully stealth one the noise still somehow alerts the other sometimes? But not other times? The game doesn't quite give you enough information in the UI imo.

Actually I also wish you could run faster when not in combat and just trying to explore and find items. And if there was a better way to find items to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Also I explored in some of the lvl.35/45 areas grabbing stuff without fighting anyone. Got the 4 ammo SMG which I gave to Bormin with the attack twice skill. If he hits both times atl lvl.2 weapon that's 20 damage in one turn without any criticals.... also get enough artifacts to up grenade damage to AoE of 8 damage which I imagine will be helpful.

Game is pretty good now! Definitely worth the $12 for the humble bundle this month.

Bebpo

« Reply #32954 on: March 17, 2019, 02:50:59 AM »
So, I ended up playing Mutant Road Zero all day long. Pretty close to the ending now. In the Forbidden City and lvl.61 team. Been rocking hard mode since Sea of Titan in my last post and it's been fine although there were some tough spots. Have like 13 medkits left and haven't been buying any. All weapons are maxed out.

The difficulty of the game is weird. It's another one of those inverse difficulty games because once you have the right team/gear/skills to take out 24/26 HP enemies in 1 turn you can pretty much pick off most of the enemies one at a time except for specific fights that it requires you to fight a group that's all bunched together. I actually find those parts the most fun because picking things off is just the same 3 moves in a row with some changes depending on if human or robot after a while. Also robots, even the giant Robocop 2 ones are kinda a joke after halfway when not only do you have a ton of EMP grenades but you can put an attachment on 2 of your 3 stealth weapons with 50% 2 turn EMP knockout. I've never had to use an EMP grenade because I just keep re-stunning enemies with those 50% attachments and stealth killing them to death.

I'm using Duck/Boar/Fox team with Fox doing hidden 100% criticals, duck criticals in the air and boar setting people on fire and knocking them down stealthy.

I think the most fun fight I had was also the toughest. It was the EDF + tons of guys fight in Lair of the Horned Demon. Probably took me 90 mins of tries but eventually had a good run.

I also like the bits where there's high ground and I don't even bother with stealth. I just set the 3 guys on a vantage point and put overwatch on all 3 and reload every turn and they kill everyone that comes running. One time let a shaman get a horn off for reinforcements and all the reinforcements died trying to approach so was no big deal.

Now while it's a super addictive fun srpg with gorgeous art direction and graphics, good core combat and fun skills, it definitely has issues that could be improved in a sequel. First all of this game is glitchy AF. In my 10 hours or so of playing today I've had probably 1-2 dozen reloads because the game glitches out. Stuff like being on stairs and suddenly move doesn't work anymore (can't go up or down and nothing in the way), stuff like accidently entering combat mode and then the "exit combat" button disappears and I can't exit combat and there's no enemies lol, game feels like it definitely needed some more QA. I've never played an srpg this buggy.

After that it's mostly just how repetitive the encounters are. I'm kinda glad it's almost over and only about 12-14 hours because a 20-30 hour game of this just wouldn't work since you're doing the same strategies every turn after a while. (this game could've used some trimming as is). The game could use more forced encounters that are creatively setup and less solo pick off guys. Also more unique weapons. Like for all the armor padding I'm surprised there's no weapons that negate armor. And there's weird stuff like with the psychic guy's mind control skill you can't attack the unit once it's friendly. But if you grab a strong enemy like a tank then you're just kinda sitting waiting for it to have a turn and shoot you in that case :| Best strategy I found for that was just to make the enemy run far away and then position myself in defensive position with overwatch on everyone for when the enemy comes back in range.

Also a small pet peeve is I wish you could advance the dialogue lines without just skipping the cutscenes. They talk very sloooowly in the cutscenes but I don't want to skip them so I just sit and wait.

Anyhow, I'll finish it up tomorrow. I'd probably say it's about an 8/10 at this point and better than Shadowrun Returns, but it's no Tactics Ogre or anything. I still gotta play Shadowrun Dragonfall, will be interesting to see how it compares.

Bebpo

« Reply #32955 on: March 17, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
Ok, beat it. Ending was kinda weirdly unsatisfying. Like there's pickups in the final level and ...no fights? I was all amped up for a big final boss fight lol. If they just added 1 final boss fight at the end I'd be happy.
The real final boss fight was ok, took me a few tries but only because the first time an enemy ran off and made so much noise he alerted and drew in the rest of the enemies on the map I hadn't killed yet.

There were some good fights in the final areas. I took on that lvl.70 mecha and actually started using EMP grenades and stuff. I realized my biggest issue with the game is just the lack of information presented to the player in gameplay for what will alert others and what won't. Like I entered the last map with all my skills in cooldown and I spent 45 mins doing 1-2 min retries over and over and over to get past the first enemies without alerting everyone on the map. My overall gametime was 13 hours on hard mode after the beginning 20% on normal, but a lot of that time is spent reloading the first step in a battle over and over and over until something works. Then everything is fun/manageable. But it's hard to determine a lot of the first step stuff in grouped enemies without trial & error.

Like what is the point of smoke grenades? I could never figure it out.
-they don't hide you because enemies still track you instantly and know where you are, they just can't shoot at you while you're in the smoke (but they can physically hit you still)
-but you can't shoot at them either and once you leave the smoke you can shoot and you get shot
-I thought they'd play into stealth like laying down some smoke so when you hog rush a guy it won't alert the enemy next to them because their vision is blocked by smoke....but nope. They still get alerted through smoke no matter what. I spent like 20 mins playing around with this trying to see if it could work for stealth and it doesn't

In retrospect, the only use I can image for smoke is you throw a grenade on yourself and spend a turn in the smoke healing yourself with medkits since you can't get shot during the smoke turn. That's all I can imagine they're use for.

It's a good game, definitely gave me a fallout srpg vibe. I think for a sequel I'd like every character to be more unique and have more skills. Like halfway or 2/3rds through the game I'd leveled enough to finish out my skill tree and then I kept leveling up and there was nothing to do with it besides adding an extra 1 HP or too. There's not a ton of skills (though the skills are great themselves) and that the characters share a lot of them makes it less unique. Like the only uniqueness I think out of the girl is her vine ability to stop enemy movement which is useful early on against physical attack enemies & dogs, but in the 2nd half there's like no dogs and most enemies have guns so it's useless. The guy's uniqueness is his mind control which can be cool but it's also completely unworkable for stealth since it alerts enemies you take control of and you can't kill them while they're controlled. The fox is just sorta Dux 2.0 with hidden criticals and flying and electronic EMP zapper. I tried the gunslinger ability a few times with 75% accuracy on everyone and it'd still miss most people so yeah....And Bormin is good for hogrushing or steel skin but even that just buys you 1 round of defense and never seemed that helpful.

It's impressive the game was made by only 13 people. I wonder if it sold enough for a sequel. Also I see the game was $35 at release. Seems a littttle steep for the length and content. Feels more like a $20 game outside the nice production values. Totally satisfied at $12 though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32956 on: March 18, 2019, 02:26:49 AM »
So, I ended up playing Mutant Road Zero all day long. Pretty close to the ending now. In the Forbidden City and lvl.61 team. Been rocking hard mode since Sea of Titan in my last post and it's been fine although there were some tough spots. Have like 13 medkits left and haven't been buying any. All weapons are maxed out.

The difficulty of the game is weird. It's another one of those inverse difficulty games because once you have the right team/gear/skills to take out 24/26 HP enemies in 1 turn you can pretty much pick off most of the enemies one at a time except for specific fights that it requires you to fight a group that's all bunched together. I actually find those parts the most fun because picking things off is just the same 3 moves in a row with some changes depending on if human or robot after a while. Also robots, even the giant Robocop 2 ones are kinda a joke after halfway when not only do you have a ton of EMP grenades but you can put an attachment on 2 of your 3 stealth weapons with 50% 2 turn EMP knockout. I've never had to use an EMP grenade because I just keep re-stunning enemies with those 50% attachments and stealth killing them to death.

I'm using Duck/Boar/Fox team with Fox doing hidden 100% criticals, duck criticals in the air and boar setting people on fire and knocking them down stealthy.

I think the most fun fight I had was also the toughest. It was the EDF + tons of guys fight in Lair of the Horned Demon. Probably took me 90 mins of tries but eventually had a good run.

I also like the bits where there's high ground and I don't even bother with stealth. I just set the 3 guys on a vantage point and put overwatch on all 3 and reload every turn and they kill everyone that comes running. One time let a shaman get a horn off for reinforcements and all the reinforcements died trying to approach so was no big deal.

Now while it's a super addictive fun srpg with gorgeous art direction and graphics, good core combat and fun skills, it definitely has issues that could be improved in a sequel. First all of this game is glitchy AF. In my 10 hours or so of playing today I've had probably 1-2 dozen reloads because the game glitches out. Stuff like being on stairs and suddenly move doesn't work anymore (can't go up or down and nothing in the way), stuff like accidently entering combat mode and then the "exit combat" button disappears and I can't exit combat and there's no enemies lol, game feels like it definitely needed some more QA. I've never played an srpg this buggy.

After that it's mostly just how repetitive the encounters are. I'm kinda glad it's almost over and only about 12-14 hours because a 20-30 hour game of this just wouldn't work since you're doing the same strategies every turn after a while. (this game could've used some trimming as is). The game could use more forced encounters that are creatively setup and less solo pick off guys. Also more unique weapons. Like for all the armor padding I'm surprised there's no weapons that negate armor. And there's weird stuff like with the psychic guy's mind control skill you can't attack the unit once it's friendly. But if you grab a strong enemy like a tank then you're just kinda sitting waiting for it to have a turn and shoot you in that case :| Best strategy I found for that was just to make the enemy run far away and then position myself in defensive position with overwatch on everyone for when the enemy comes back in range.

Also a small pet peeve is I wish you could advance the dialogue lines without just skipping the cutscenes. They talk very sloooowly in the cutscenes but I don't want to skip them so I just sit and wait.

Anyhow, I'll finish it up tomorrow. I'd probably say it's about an 8/10 at this point and better than Shadowrun Returns, but it's no Tactics Ogre or anything. I still gotta play Shadowrun Dragonfall, will be interesting to see how it compares.

No way! Former Hitman developers produced a glitchy game?  ::) :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32957 on: March 18, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
I wouldn't say that it's glitchy, it's just that some parts of it feel like they needed a bit longer to bake in the oven.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #32958 on: March 18, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Finished the Haunted Castle portion of Monster Boy.  Shit gets pretty challenging, as the whole house is kind of a giant puzzle.  Get total Vania vibes though...  even the music has that Vania vibe to it...

This game is so good! 

Bebpo

« Reply #32959 on: March 18, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »
I wouldn't say that it's glitchy, it's just that some parts of it feel like they needed a bit longer to bake in the oven.

Eh, I know bugs/glitches depends on what everyone encountered or not, but I hit enough in my run I'd definitely say it needed more QA time in the oven.

I feel like the engine/AI struggled the most with height, like a lot of my bugs had to do with movement between floors or AI moving between floors. On flat ground it generally seemed fine. Play on the KB+M had some dumb stuff too, like on enemy movement you hold space to speed up their turn, right? But then I had multiple times where their turn ended and my turn started before I let go of space and it would move my character somewhere because your turn defaults on move and space confirms and sometimes moving to some random spot would kill me and make me restart the whole battle :|

Still really like the game and would recommend it, but it's rough around some of the edges which isn't super apparent at first because graphically it's extremely polished compared to other indie tactics games like the Shadowrun/Battletech/Wasteland 2 games.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32960 on: March 18, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Finished the Haunted Castle portion of Monster Boy.  Shit gets pretty challenging, as the whole house is kind of a giant puzzle.  Get total Vania vibes though...  even the music has that Vania vibe to it...

This game is so good!

Yeah, really liking this game. Just finished the temple area, it's a bit more puzzle oriented than I was expecting, with tighter and less sprawling level designs than most Metroidvanias.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32961 on: March 18, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »
Resident Evil 2 Remake

This game is so good  :aah
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32962 on: March 19, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »
duh
What

Freyj

« Reply #32963 on: March 19, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »
I’ve been playing it around DMC5 and yeah it’s a lesser Yakuza game in every category except the combat which is completely ridiculous in the best way. You never feel like Ken is in any danger whatsoever when he isn’t fighting one of the martial artist bosses and it owns.

There are few grind heavy substories / side content that I’d honestly not bother much with even by Yakuza standards. The buggy / wasteland stuff in particular seems like a huge time sink and the management sim is way less fun than it was in 0.

kingv

« Reply #32964 on: March 19, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »
I really liked the cabaret in fist of the North Star. The sub stories there are pretty funny.

Freyj

« Reply #32965 on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
I have a much harder time keeping tabs on the customers in Lost Paradise than I did in 0. Could be I just needed more time with it but it really seemed unwieldy.

kingv

« Reply #32966 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »
Everything about it is a bit more janky than mainline games.

I cleared out the cabaret, but it was a few months ago. I think the main tip is to find a girl that has the recover vitality special and use her as much as possible so that you can keep girls from getting worn out. Also don’t be afraid to double up customers with two girls. It makes them finish up a lot faster.

« Reply #32967 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »
Got into Hollow Knight, it's a pretty good game. I'm in pretty deep now and trying to go completionist, but some of these bosses like Zote and Lost Kin are completely kicking my ass. I didn't want to be cheap and go in when I'm all decked out with all the health and weapon upgrade plus the best charms, but at this rate that's probably what I'm gonna have to do ffs.

Bebpo

« Reply #32968 on: March 20, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
I mean by the time you're fighting dream bosses you're supposed to be like endgame maxed. Both of the ones you're talking about weren't even in the base game and were added in one of the DLCs.

Actually Lost Kin might've been there. But Dream Zote was added.

Bebpo

« Reply #32969 on: March 21, 2019, 02:11:18 AM »
Finished all the discovery tours in AC Origins - That was a nice mode. Learned a lot. Also interesting to see how much detail there is in the world in every texture and statue the devs make. Like if you look around at the NPC animations in Origins (and I'd assume Odyssey) it's pretty insane.

Now time to uninstall it until the expansions are on steam sale in easter or summer.

Bebpo, do you miss HK already?

It was kinda dreamy game, no?

Sure. Definitely hyped for the expansion/sequel.

BisMarckie

« Reply #32970 on: March 21, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »
Replaying all the classic Castlevanias. Dracula's Curse is such a fucked up game. I still love it though.
Although I could do without not having a checkpoint at the Dracula fight.  :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32971 on: March 21, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »
Replaying all the classic Castlevanias. Dracula's Curse is such a fucked up game. I still love it though.
Although I could do without not having a checkpoint at the Dracula fight.  :doge

Nice.. I purchased the Famicom version with the VRC6 soundchip and the more balanced difficulty. Eager to play it when it arrives! CV3 is one of the most striking NES games.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #32972 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Dracula 3 is so much better than CV3 and CV3 is better than every other CV
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32973 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »
Man, my pre-SoTN CV knowledge is lacking. Is Dracula 3 just the Japanese name/version of CV3 or is it a different game?

I know there was like CV1-3, Super Castlevania, Dracula X and then SOTN and beyond, right?
I don’t think I ever beat CV1-3 as a kid. Knockback Medusas were fuckers and still are. I beat Super CV but don’t remember it much and then I played through Dracula X in the PSP port and it was glorious. What else am I missing?

BisMarckie

« Reply #32974 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
Dracula 3 is so much better than CV3 and CV3 is better than every other CV

Rondo is my favorite though. While it provides a nice challenge, it is not that hard which allows for a more relaxed playthrough. The music and style though. :lawd

Did I mention the music?

BisMarckie

« Reply #32975 on: March 21, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
Man, my pre-SoTN CV knowledge is lacking. Is Dracula 3 just the Japanese name/version of CV3 or is it a different game?

I know there was like CV1-3, Super Castlevania, Dracula X and then SOTN and beyond, right?
I don’t think I ever beat CV1-3 as a kid. Knockback Medusas were fuckers and still are. I beat Super CV but don’t remember it much and then I played through Dracula X in the PSP port and it was glorious. What else am I missing?

Castlevania Chronicles is a remake of the first game which was released for Playstation in the west. It‘s pretty good.
Dracula X is the name of the downgraded port of Rondo of Blood for the SNES. But since you played the PSP port you played the better version. :itagaki
Bloodlines is the name of the Genesis game. It’s kind of a hidden gem, but its style deviates from the other games as it’s set in the 20th century. The difficulty is completely fucked up though since it has limited continues and some nightmarish stages.
Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth for the Wii is technically the last Classicvania that was released. It‘s pretty good, but I think the only way to play it today is to download the ISO.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:25:28 PM by KennyLoggins »

BisMarckie

« Reply #32976 on: March 21, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
Slightly controversial opinion: Super Castlevania IV is the worst classicvania.

Babby‘s first Castlevania :trash

Bebpo

« Reply #32977 on: March 21, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
Finished all the discovery tours in AC Origins - That was a nice mode. Learned a lot. Also interesting to see how much detail there is in the world in every texture and statue the devs make. Like if you look around at the NPC animations in Origins (and I'd assume Odyssey) it's pretty insane.

Now time to uninstall it until the expansions are on steam sale in easter or summer.

Bebpo, do you miss HK already?

It was kinda dreamy game, no?

Sure. Definitely hyped for the expansion/sequel.

So I uninstall Origins last night

...and the DLC expansions go on steam sale today  :rofl

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #32978 on: March 21, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »

Castlevania Chronicles is a remake of the first game which was released for Playstation in the west. It‘s pretty good.
Dracula X is the name of the downgraded port of Rondo of Blood for the SNES. But since you played the PSP port you played the better version. :itagaki
Bloodlines is the name of the Genesis game. It’s kind of a hidden gem, but its style deviates from the other games as it’s set in the 20th century. The difficulty is completely fucked up though since it has limited continues and some nightmarish stages.
Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth for the Wii is technically the last Classicvania that was released. It‘s pretty good, but I think the only way to play it today is to download the ISO.

There's a CV collection coming out this summer.  One of the games rumored to be on it is Rebirth.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32979 on: March 21, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
bought a ps classic for 30 euros lol

modding it now aww ye
What

Himu

« Reply #32980 on: March 22, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
Slightly controversial opinion: Super Castlevania IV is the worst classicvania.

Babby‘s first Castlevania :trash

But rondo is your favorite and it’s not much better than IV.

Personally Rondo is the most overrated classic Vania. III is tops. The only reason Rondo has any of the accolades it does is due to its relationship with SOTN. People really like to suck Rondo’s dick to an annoying degree.

CVIII imo is the greatest famicom game of all time and the best Vania. Four characters, a bazillion endings, the difficulty, the replayability is off the charts.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32981 on: March 22, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »

There's a CV collection coming out this summer.  One of the games rumored to be on it is Rebirth.

CV collection?!

If you can play Japanese versions on top of American this could be godlike
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32982 on: March 22, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »
Hm.

It’s konami’s 50th anniversary this year. Could it be Suikoden’s time?

:thinking
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32983 on: March 22, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »

The full name of the CV’s Japanese name is Akumajou Dracula. I just call it Dracula. So yes, it’s the Japanese Verizon of CVIII. CVIII was rebalanced in the West to be much, MUCH harder. Dracula III is far better balanced and a much better game. My suggestion is to play Dracula III first, master it. Then play CVIII as a glorified hard mode. Dracula III also has a better soundtrack in-game than CVIII. It’s weird.

IYKYK

Chooky

« Reply #32984 on: March 22, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »
Hm.

It’s konami’s 50th anniversary this year. Could it be Suikode

no

Himu

« Reply #32985 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:19 AM »

I'm a battered wife over here Konami.

IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #32986 on: March 22, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
Rondo > CV III > CV I > Bloodlines > Rebirth > CV IV :hmph

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32987 on: March 22, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
Dracula III also has a better soundtrack in-game than CVIII. It’s weird.

Nothing weird about that. It has a special chip opening up two more audio channels.

Himu

« Reply #32988 on: March 22, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
Dracula III also has a better soundtrack in-game than CVIII. It’s weird.

Nothing weird about that. It has a special chip opening up two more audio channels.

What’s weird is that American nes isn’t compatible iirc
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32989 on: March 22, 2019, 02:52:00 PM »
I might try to learn speedrun tricks for Symphony of the Night on my ps classic
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32990 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
*Constant swishing sound from backdashing*

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32991 on: March 22, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Well I already always did that  :lol

I am almost embarassed to admit I played SOTN for the first time ever on the 360
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32992 on: March 22, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
you should be. how are you even allowed to think you have relevant opinions on games when you have barely played the good ones as is.

bitch.
fat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #32993 on: March 25, 2019, 07:44:27 AM »
I do love how CVII isn't even considered part of the classicvania canon. :teehee
Hi

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32994 on: March 26, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »
Finally finished Bloodborne's DLC. Wanted to finish it before Sekiro got released, but whatever. Time to kill the final two bosses in the main game and be done with this game.

I do love how CVII isn't even considered part of the classicvania canon. :teehee

It's more of a proto-igavania either way. I kind of like the game for that aspect.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32995 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
Beat Kingdom Hearts, including all of the secret bosses, and acquiring the Deep Dive hidden ending.

Continuing with Monster Boy, just finishing up the Volcano and this game gets pretty tough... it's a lot less exploration focused and more puzzle/platforming. A few of the puzzle sections were kinda frustrating, namely the temple where you had to rotate rooms over and over again to progress. Still a pretty fun game and a good successor to the Wonder Boy franchise.
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #32996 on: March 27, 2019, 05:31:05 AM »
I played that Monster Hunter demo and really want to get it now, but not full price. 40 euro is waaay too much.

Currently at the final boss of Bloodstained, working on my Switch backlog. It's alright, a solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32997 on: March 27, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »
Well now that last DLC is out and Royal Edition was made even cheaper for me thanks to a Gamestop pormo. I picked up the Xbox edition of Final Fantasy XV. I haven't played the game since it came out and have never touched the DLC. So I'm actually interested in seeing how the game has changed and if the DLC and stuff improve the story.

I will say it looks great on the One X in HDR. I kind of forgot how good the game can look. But also how inconsistent the visuals and overall presentation can be. I hope the next FF is more polished and more put together on that front. 

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #32998 on: March 27, 2019, 08:17:24 AM »
Think 13/15 suffer from being frankengames with horrible development issues. Hopefully FF16 will be a return to form.

Svejk

« Reply #32999 on: March 27, 2019, 08:23:03 AM »
Monster Boy is the shiz.  Yeah, the Volcano had some tough parts.  I would be like, "Is that really what you're suppose to pull off?"  Sure enough, ..yep.  The Haunted Mansion has some good brain busters too.  I just got to the final area with about 96% map coverage.  I may actually shoot for the platty on this game.  Loving every little second of this game.  The little (and big) winks and nods to past Wonder Boy games is in full force and it almost makes tears come out of my face.  It took me a second, but I realized the elevator music is the music from the first OG Wonder Boy!  :lawd (My first vidyagame I ever owned!  :tocry ) Hoping to have it completed this weekend.