Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558970 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #33000 on: March 27, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
Monster Boy is the shiz.  Yeah, the Volcano had some tough parts.  I would be like, "Is that really what you're suppose to pull off?"  Sure enough, ..yep.  The Haunted Mansion has some good brain busters too.  I just got to the final area with about 96% map coverage.  I may actually shoot for the platty on this game.  Loving every little second of this game.  The little (and big) winks and nods to past Wonder Boy games is in full force and it almost makes tears come out of my face.  It took me a second, but I realized the elevator music is the music from the first OG Wonder Boy!  :lawd (My first vidyagame I ever owned!  :tocry ) Hoping to have it completed this weekend.

I need to play this game. I loved the Master System Wonder Boy games when growing up (Wonder Boy 3 was a revelation for me at the time), and had a blast with the Monster World triple pack Sega put out. I'll hopefully be able to appreciate all the fanservice in his latest title.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33001 on: March 27, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Think 13/15 suffer from being frankengames with horrible development issues. Hopefully FF16 will be a return to form.
That's true, but Final Fantasy XIII does not show that when it comes to the presentation. The game looks great graphically, with good animation to boot. It's chockfull of CGI and in general well directed and renderd cutscenes. The audio design dosen't feel janky like XV where the audio levels don't let the soundtrack really come alive. Not only that, but XIII's soundtrack feels well utizlied and used with intention. Where as XV's just feels like they played whatever they wanted. The art direction feels thought out. All the menus and hud elements go for the personality the game wants to go for. You can say what you want of the actual game of XIII, but it's not lacking in production values and polish. XIII still hits the cinematic highs the 3d parts of the series aimed for.

XV though...eh.

It does look good. With HDR it looks amazing even. But man does it not hit the presentation quality the series has been known for.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:51:55 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Svejk

« Reply #33002 on: March 27, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »
Monster Boy is the shiz.  Yeah, the Volcano had some tough parts.  I would be like, "Is that really what you're suppose to pull off?"  Sure enough, ..yep.  The Haunted Mansion has some good brain busters too.  I just got to the final area with about 96% map coverage.  I may actually shoot for the platty on this game.  Loving every little second of this game.  The little (and big) winks and nods to past Wonder Boy games is in full force and it almost makes tears come out of my face.  It took me a second, but I realized the elevator music is the music from the first OG Wonder Boy!  :lawd (My first vidyagame I ever owned!  :tocry ) Hoping to have it completed this weekend.

(Image removed from quote.)

I need to play this game. I loved the Master System Wonder Boy games when growing up (Wonder Boy 3 was a revelation for me at the time), and had a blast with the Monster World triple pack Sega put out. I'll hopefully be able to appreciate all the fanservice in his latest title.
If you get nostalgic on those past games at all, this'll do it.  It's a full-on love letter to the series as a whole.  Yes... you should definitely play it. 

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #33003 on: March 27, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »

I never played Wonder Boy but the demo was enough to sell me on this.

« Reply #33004 on: March 28, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
Stuck on Nightmare King Grimm on Hollow Knight, after 2-3 dozen tries I managed to make it go down to half health for once. Yeah, yeah git gud and all that but honestly I feel it's pretty poor design how every hit takes two hp away. Make it so some inflict more damage and some less ffs. For the most part I've figured out all his patterns, but the upper cut shit is still getting me since he has a tendency to abruptly halt the move and take a step back because you are close to him which doesn't leave you time to dodge it anymore. After I'm done with this dude, I'll just finish the rest of the game without bothering with the godhome dlc.

Bebpo

« Reply #33005 on: March 28, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »
Stuck on Nightmare King Grimm on Hollow Knight, after 2-3 dozen tries I managed to make it go down to half health for once. Yeah, yeah git gud and all that but honestly I feel it's pretty poor design how every hit takes two hp away. Make it so some inflict more damage and some less ffs. For the most part I've figured out all his patterns, but the upper cut shit is still getting me since he has a tendency to abruptly halt the move and take a step back because you are close to him which doesn't leave you time to dodge it anymore. After I'm done with this dude, I'll just finish the rest of the game without bothering with the godhome dlc.

I felt this way!

Then I beat him and now it's my favorite boss fight in the game. His patterns are really really good and readable and you can beat him without taking a hit (I still usually mess up and take a hit during the shmup balloon part). 

The uppercut move was probably what gave me the most trouble but once you get it down it just let's you get a free hit on him when he does it.

I'm trying to remember my strategies. It's less about pure reaction as creating a strategy I found. I think my strategy was when he appears for the dash uppercut, dash back and swing and you'll dash just out of his range and hit him as he's uppercutting. But because this moves you back, if you're close to the corner and he does it jump and dash forward and either down hit him or just don't get a hit that time but you'll be back centered.

One of the tricks I found is always try to stay around the center, jump + dash forward is your friend. I think it pretty much gets past any of his moves, so you don't even have to read what he's doing, just jump and dash forward. If he dashes forward/uppercut? You'll go over him. If he does the bats? You should shadow dash through the first high bat and land and then jump again and get a hit in. If he does the diving diagonal dash x 2? You should dash under him and then just jump again to dodge the second dash (you can hit him with d+a as you dash away). If you jump and dash and it's a thorn wall? You probably have time to correct your landing to be between them. If it's a firewall you'll be away from the fires and you can keep moving and turn around and jump and dash back to try to get a hit in. Jump + dash as a reaction seems to be the safest bet so whenever you're feeling stressed or getting too close to a corner use it and get back center.

When you're in the center-ish, watch what he's doing. If it's a dash/uppercut? Dash back and hit. If its a diagonal down dash x 2? Jump back (maybe straight up, don't remember) and dash forward with d+A to hit. Firebirds? Jump the first low one, shadow dash through the first high one to land after the second low one and run in and get a few hits. If it's the thorn wall, just dodge. Fire wall? lead it back and dash through it and hit him a bunch.

When you get all that down then it's just getting good at dodging the shmup parts consistently.

Don't take any healing charms. No time to heal. I use the lifeblood stuff to get as many hearts as possible to allow a few mistakes and still get a win.

Also I recommend beating him first in Godhome. You can access the hall of gods right away when you enter godhome and it lets you fight any of the bosses you've encountered, even if you haven't beat them. Fighting NKM here allows 2 things: 1) No stupid 15-20 second trek back from the nearest bench to inside the tent and across. You die, you hit a button and the fight starts again. You don't lose your groove during the cooldown. It really helps when your'e trying to get better and perfect the fight. 2) You can cheat slightly because godhome is a dream and fragile charms don't break so you can use breakable strength to get extra damage. This isn't really cheating because you can do the same thing just turning breakable strength into unbreakable strength for 15k at the tent next to him which gets you the best damage output in the game. But if you can't afford it yet, you can use fragile strength in godhome.

Once you can beat him a few times in godhome you'll have the fight down and can go beat him in the tent if you want.

I feel like it's a hard raging fight, but when you get it down you'll see it has the best patterns of any of the bosses and feels like a Devil May Cry 3 boss fight in 2d. Also watching youtube runs against him to see visually what other players did and where they got hits in helped me, so it might help you but sometimes it doesn't help because they're too pro and get hits in at points that are way too risky for normal people to go for.

« Reply #33006 on: March 29, 2019, 03:05:09 AM »
Thanks for your post Bebpo, it was pretty helpful. Well in the end I still wasn't able to completely deal with his uppercut, but I managed to find out you can heal during the time he shoots his flame bats which helped me compensate.

Overall I agree with you on his move set being pretty fun though. Actually the whole boss fight from his design, to the intro and the music stand out as the most stylish in the game for me so far. Mantis Lords are still probably my favourite boss fight in the game though, Traitor Lord would have been up there too if I didn't find out you can beat him using a pretty cheap method exploiting the corner after it took me ages to beat him normally.

Bebpo

« Reply #33007 on: March 29, 2019, 03:08:53 AM »
Played some more Yoshi's Island and finished World 3, started World 4 traditional mario world with giant turtles and mushrooms and stuff. Pretty neat.

Favorite part is still drugged out Yoshi sprite.

And the 4 song soundtrack that repeats for 15 hours with 4 catchy tunes over...and...over....and...over

I gotta say the only way I'm making it through this is thanks to SNES mini save states and rewind. There's some real bullshit instant death stuff in this game even as a straight platformer ignoring the collect-a-thon stuff and their issues. Like World 3 had this one level with giant fish that stay underwater and then leap at your direction right when you enter the water and suck in a decent range and it's an instant kill. Playing this original style without cheats like save states trying to go for 100% on every stage feels like it would be the most frustrating experience ever. I'm still going for 100s but if I don't get 100 I just move on. Like got 100 on a few stages in stage 3 but in the boss castle missed a flower and got 90 something and oh well.

Going for 100 is also one of those things where you reach points with multi-direction branches and some have collectibles and some take you to the next area but when you're blind guessing and you end up at the next area...whoops. Now you know. Feels like you'd want to just beat the stages once first and learn the layout and then go for 100 on the second run for some of these stages.

My copy of Crafted World shipped, was going to beat YI first then Wooly World then play Crafted World, but might go from YI -> Crafted World and play Wooly World after.

Himu

« Reply #33008 on: March 29, 2019, 03:09:07 AM »
Sekiro is single player game of the decade and I fucking mean that.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33009 on: March 29, 2019, 03:10:34 AM »

:o

That's some high fucking praise!

Himu

« Reply #33010 on: March 29, 2019, 03:31:01 AM »

- amazing world building/lore
- incredible art and world design
- good story and characters
- incredibly fulfilling combat system
- skills and customization up the ass
- tons of items to collect and buy
- shit tons of nooks and crannies
- can be as linear or as open as you want it to be. You unlock new areas but you can continue doing the other areas first. When you want to take a break from one area you can easily just hop to another and continue your progress there.
- cool as shit traversal system
- incredible level design
- tough but no stupid long treks to make up for loss progress
- punishing, but fair

It is everything I like about games with an aesthetic I have massive rock hard nipples for.

The combined package makes for THE most well put together gaming package I’ve played all decade, beating out New Vegas in short order.

What a game.
IYKYK

Chooky

« Reply #33011 on: March 29, 2019, 05:11:23 AM »
what makes it better than other recent From games? bc god knows i tried to get into dark souls and blodborne and those games bored me shitless

Himu

« Reply #33012 on: March 29, 2019, 06:47:57 AM »
Galaxy was last decade. Galaxy 2 was 2010 but I don’t think it’s better than Sekiro or even its original. Haven’t played Bloodborne. TLOU isn’t better to me, neither is Witcher 3. Haven’t played RDR2 but I doubt it’s better. Uncharted 2 came out in 2009 and is while I love it and platinum’d it, is a mostly on rails game. The gameplay is fun, but not deep. Its story is fun, but not something you can chew on like Sekiro. It also has no lore. Some of the games you listed like U2 and TLOU are are linear cinematic games, which while fun aren’t in-depth. They’re Hollywood popcorn flick equivalents even if they’re fun. They lack the complete package Sekiro has to offer: gameplay, story, level design, world building/lore. It’s all here.

Game of last decade for me was Resident Evil 4. Mario Galaxy comes close. Last decade I can easily size down each genre to best games. This decade I’ve been disappointed by games so much that Sekiro and New Vegas are just ahead of the pack. Haven’t played Odyssey or BOTW yet but they also seem to be contenders.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:52:30 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

« Reply #33013 on: March 29, 2019, 06:53:28 AM »
Bebpo did you do the Path of Pain challenge in Hallow Knight? Is it worth doing or should I just cut my losses short and watch the cutscene on youtube? The first few challenges were hard enough, but I just saw some of the upcoming ones and it just seems like an absolute pain.

Bebpo

« Reply #33014 on: March 29, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
Bebpo did you do the Path of Pain challenge in Hallow Knight? Is it worth doing or should I just cut my losses short and watch the cutscene on youtube? The first few challenges were hard enough, but I just saw some of the upcoming ones and it just seems like an absolute pain.

That's the optional bit in the White Palace, right?

Nah, I didn't even know it existed (since it's behind a hidden wall or something) until after I finished White Palace and I had enough issues with a few parts in White Palace (those parts with the spikes that go up/down and you have to have near-perfect timing and move just pixel perfect between them is way too hard/near-impossible for me; still somehow eventually beat it) that I had no interest in a pure challenge section that has no reward outside beating it and seeing a 10 second cutscene. So I just watched it on youtube.

I never beat the 3rd arena run either because it's long and didn't feel like redoing it over and over. I also skipped the flower quest because it's long and tedious and the godhome pantheons because of that. I think I did everything else though. I'm just not a fan of things that waste my time with a lot of time re-doing stuff if you make a mistake.

Bebpo

« Reply #33015 on: March 29, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

- amazing world building/lore
- incredible art and world design
- good story and characters
- incredibly fulfilling combat system
- skills and customization up the ass
- tons of items to collect and buy
- shit tons of nooks and crannies
- can be as linear or as open as you want it to be. You unlock new areas but you can continue doing the other areas first. When you want to take a break from one area you can easily just hop to another and continue your progress there.
- cool as shit traversal system
- incredible level design
- tough but no stupid long treks to make up for loss progress
- punishing, but fair

It is everything I like about games with an aesthetic I have massive rock hard nipples for.

The combined package makes for THE most well put together gaming package I’ve played all decade, beating out New Vegas in short order.

What a game.

Damn, this makes me excited to play it! I tried the first like hour just to check it out, but waiting until I clear a few more backlog things and play DMCV to get to it.

« Reply #33016 on: March 29, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
Yeah it's the bit in white palace. You made the right choice I think, I'm in the last section of it now and honestly it's probably the least fun part of the game so far. Some sections specially have the check points further apart than they should have been, so you are wasting almost couple of minutes or so on every try yet you will be dying almost as much as some of the b sides level on something like Celeste.

Edit:

Finally managed to beat it, to say the reward wasn't worth the trouble would be a massive understatement. Don't even get a trophy to show for it  :stahp
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:51:22 PM by Kunai With Chain »

Himu

« Reply #33017 on: March 29, 2019, 06:59:12 PM »
Working and just wanna play Sekiro. :tocry
IYKYK

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #33018 on: March 29, 2019, 10:46:29 PM »
I'm hesitant to label Sekiro with superlatives until I've had time to fully beat it and sit on it for a while, but I'm definitely feeling similar at the moment. Even as a huge Miyazaki stan I'm pretty sure it's his best game.
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #33019 on: March 29, 2019, 11:43:20 PM »
Gonna be tough to beat Bloodborne for me. I'm still sad they did 3 dark souls games and only 1 Bloodborne :\ At least we got Old Hunters. I like Bloodborne and DS1 the best, then Demon Souls, then DS3, then DS2 (which I still think is great).

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33020 on: March 29, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »
©@©™

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #33021 on: March 31, 2019, 05:01:49 AM »
Slay the Spire is fucking amazing

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #33022 on: March 31, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
I got into the Elder Scrolls Blades, i think Bethesda is at home on mobile. Im digging this toilet past time.

Gonna be tough to beat Bloodborne for me. I'm still sad they did 3 dark souls games and only 1 Bloodborne :\ At least we got Old Hunters. I like Bloodborne and DS1 the best, then Demon Souls, then DS3, then DS2 (which I still think is great).

Best aesthetic and mythology of the souls games by far :)

Bebpo

« Reply #33023 on: March 31, 2019, 12:42:23 PM »
Yoshi's Island - I sat down yesterday and beat the back half of the game Worlds 4-6.

A lot of it was a not fun experience. There were parts in worlds 4/5 where I was asking myself "I thought I'd reached the point in my life where if a game is not fun, I would shelve it?" I wasn't hate playing it, it's not that bad, but it just wasn't fun to play and felt like work. But I figured I'd come this far and I'm playing Wooly World and Crafted World and I want a better frame of reference for the series, so I'm going to stick with it and get it done.

Because about 50% of my issues with YI were stemming from the controls being kinda bad, and in my 3 hour session I got a blister on my right thumb from having to push the jump button down so hard repeatedly to get the right jump and flutter and almost one on my left thumb from having to hit down super hard just to get the butt stomp (which is a regular essential move) to come out, not to mention having it move left or right a bit from where I want to stomp, I thought it's possible the game doesn't have shit controls compared to SMW and every other platformer, maybe this 8bitdo wireless SNES classic is just a bad controller, so I played the last few stages in World 6 with the default wired controllers and discovered...yeah, the 8bitdo controller is kinda bad. I immediately noticed 2 things going back to the wired controller. One was the d-pad was nice as soft and I could butt slam easily by just pressing down (on 8bitdo pressing down would never butt stomp, I had to hold it down for a second strongly) and I also would butt slam straight down where I wanted, as it turns out that the 8bitdo controller would read down hold presses as diagonal down/left or down/right and move me off where I wanted to slam by a few spots. Also the default controller buttons were much softer and I didn't have to press anywhere near as hard to get the level of jump I wanted. The 8bitdo buttons are more like an arcade stick raised and clicky and take more pressure to push down for maximum jump power.

I'm sure the 8bitdo controller is fine for 90% of SNES/NES games where you're slashing a sword or doing a dodge and punch. But it turns out that for one of the most tight precision required platformers ever made that is Yoshi's Island...it's not up to snuff and definitely made YI a much harder game experience than it should've been.

So after I beat World 6, I replayed the stages in World 1 where I didn't have 100s and got them all and did the secret stage for that world.

Still, if the controller was part of my issue with Yoshi's Island, at most it'd be 50% of my problems with the game. The other 50% is pure gameplay/level design issues. In my opinion, Yoshi's Island is the Dark Souls of the Mario Franchise, and I'm not even saying that because it's hard. YI's level design comes from the same thread of design that Dark Souls comes from and Castlevania/Megaman to a degree.

I continually found in Yoshi's Island that if there was a pit in front of you that required a jump, an off-screen enemy in front would be positioned and timed perfectly so when you jump forward and scroll the screen to make them appear, you'll be hit directly in the face with a projectile making you lose the baby and also giving you a slight knockback aka medusa heads in CV. This sometimes also knocked you back just enough to fall into a pit and insta-death. This happens all of the time in Yoshi's Island. If you don't play like Dark Souls where you move very slowly and carefully through the level's you're constantly hit by cheap hits making you lose the baby. This is especially true in the exploration stages. Like Dark Souls, when you know where the enemies are, it's much easier on the 2nd time around, but the first time in a new area the game is cheap as hell. It feels like they want you to pace the game slowly exploring and punish you for playing like a normal platformer.

Most of my favorite stages in the game are the auto-scrolling stages. Because I found these stages don't have a lot or any cheap shit and the pacing, which is controlled by the scrolling, is actually good.

Because man does this game have pacing issues. There was one mid-castle in the last few worlds that is like THIRTY MINUTES long. At some point I just wanted the damn stage to be over already. The vehicles sections are also all really bad. Especially the slow mole tank with crappy controls. Helicopter is more ok but still lame. Super baby bits are all super scripted and boring. Like for all the "YI is great!" praise, there's some legit not good gameplay stuff in here.

I also have problems with the music. Wait, you say YI has the best classic tracks out there and every Yoshi game after has been compared and found lacking in music! Yeah, the songs themselves are great! But I have an issue that there's like 4 songs the entire game. I'm not even exaggerating, I would be very surprised if there's more than 4-6 tracks for the stage music for the entire game. There's like the standard field song, the underground song, uhhh a couple more songs? I dunno, I feel like the entire game is listening to a couple songs that are 30 seconds long repeat for hours at a time and that's kinda...bad. I don't play a lot of retro gaming, but could they just not afford larger soundtracks back then? Or ran out of cartridge size? Idk.

Now that being said, I wanna talk about all the positives of Yoshi's Island and what it does right.

First of all, the boss fights are all GREAT. Fuck everything else being compared to YI in later games, this is the real standard later Yoshi/Mario platformers should all be compared on. Every boss fight is unique and creatively designed. They're also all designed to be doable without taking any damage since you need that for a 100 score. Pretty fair and fun fights. Challenging too. On the stretchy blob boss you have to keep shooting inward towards its heart while being pushed back to a platform that ends, I cleared that final hit like a half millimeter from falling to my doom. Good fights. The bird guy on the moon was cool and the Arkanoid color tiles spike guy boss was great.

The game also has moments of brilliance in level design. Every level or two they're always trying new stuff and sometimes it's just great and everything works. The art style is great, tons of variety in environments, lots of great sprites, cool effects.

Yoshi's Island as a whole feels like playing a game with equal moments of brilliant design sections and baffling crap sections. Especially if you're going for 100% on stages. Take whatever the amount of normal bullshit at times and then multiply it by a factor of 5 if going for 100%, in a lot of ways YI feels like a 10 hour game made to last kids months in the 90s by making a lot of trial and error and having to redo long stages all over to get perfect runs of everything. Thankfully today, save states make this a hell of a lot easier, but there's still enough bs in there that if I got 100 on a stage, great. But if I didn't I had no interest in redoing it to get 100 and just moved on. While it was mildly fun getting all the 100% clears on world 1 and doing the secret stage, I don't have any motivation to do that on the rest of the worlds because some of the levels are not that fun and long, very long.

In the end, I didn't really hate Yoshi's Island, but I definitely didn't love it either. I probably tried playing this game a few times back in the 90s since I must've owned it, but I must've not liked it then either because this was definitely my first time seeing a lot of the stages. I started playing Crafted World and while it's a different kind of game and not really even a platformer, in apples to apples comparison, I've simply had more fun with my time in the crafted world levels than I did in any of these YI levels. YI's fun is the masochist kind of fun to me. I love Dark Souls, but I don't like getting ganked parts of dark souls, I like all the rest of the stuff in dark souls like the boss fights and exploration. I also enjoy CV, but I don't enjoy medusa-head type stuff knocking me into pits. YI is too much bullshit to make it a consistently fun game.

Surprisingly though I liked the final world, world 6, the most of all the worlds and had the least issues with it because forget all the collectibles, World 6 is just a good platformer. The rest of the worlds in Yoshi's Island can't decide whether they are trying to be a platformer stage or an exploration collectibles stages and the middleground they sit between doesn't really satisfy either imo.

Chooky

« Reply #33024 on: March 31, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
YI hard? i dunno bro, outside of getting 100% i don't remember the game being all that tough or cheap. were you using eggs offensively? because the game is totally set up that way and i could see the platforming being much harder if you didn't.

also i'll defend the collectibles in the game. at the time it was a pretty novel idea, and it expanded the game in an enjoyable way because it encouraged you to look for secrets and to perfect your skills. it could've been done better (fuck red coins and invisible ? clouds) but for a first attempt it went a long way towards making the game more robust and satisfying.

Himu

« Reply #33025 on: March 31, 2019, 03:38:21 PM »
I don’t move slow when I play YI. I’m running almost 90% of the time, and aim eggs while running or jumping. I’ll ricochet an egg against the wall to land into a red flower literally without stopping. YI has a sense of flow and is definitely not a slow game. I’ll record how I play YI for you later Bebpo.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33026 on: March 31, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
Yoshi's Island is a fun game but very different from the Mario games before and after it.
It sort of sits in this weird puzzle platformer category on its own but with enough skill it can also have the same momentum as a Sonic or Donkey Kong Country game.
But as the mechanics were more advanced than your regular "Press A to jump" platformer it is more challenging than the 'crayon' look makes you think it is.

Later Yoshi games, apart from Yoshi Island 2, which was just cheap in terms of difficulty are much easier and more simplisitc.
The new Yoshi game seems to have accelerated the trend of making Yoshi games easier with each new installment.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #33027 on: March 31, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »
YI hard? i dunno bro, outside of getting 100% i don't remember the game being all that tough or cheap. were you using eggs offensively? because the game is totally set up that way and i could see the platforming being much harder if you didn't.

also i'll defend the collectibles in the game. at the time it was a pretty novel idea, and it expanded the game in an enjoyable way because it encouraged you to look for secrets and to perfect your skills. it could've been done better (fuck red coins and invisible ? clouds) but for a first attempt it went a long way towards making the game more robust and satisfying.

Yeah idk, I mean I found YI more frustratingly cheap difficulty than like Hollow Knight/Super Meat Boy/Celeste/etc... I think Yoshi's Island may not be "hard" so much as it is "cheap" and "frustrating" which to me was often very unfun. There's just so many cheap shots all over ganking you sometimes I think I'm playing I wanna be that Guy and not Yoshi's Island. I guess it's more acceptable and not seen so much as being hard because when you get ganked all you do is lose the baby for a few seconds and pick it back up (though sometimes like I mentioned you get hit stunned into a pit, but that's not super often). But constantly having the baby get knocked off by cheap shots when I was always going for 100% (so 30 stars) was very frustrating. The worst was around Worlds 3-5. Replaying World 1 to get all 100s, the stages are fine and I was fine with the final World 6 stages. But I remember really not liking World 3 and yesterday when I did 4-6, about half the stages or at least parts of the stages in 4/5 were a lot of bullshit.

And besides the difficulty/cheapness, the all over the place pacing, the bad vehicle sections make the gameplay overall not that great. I'm not looking at the game through a back in the day eyes, I'm saying in 2019 compared to modern games and platformers if YI came out today I bet most reviewers would find it a pretty flawed game. I'd give it about a C+ by today's standards. Probably would've scored it much better when it came out, but games have evolved.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33028 on: April 03, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm re-playing VtMB. Clan Toreador this time and relying on guns a lot for a change. Expected to want to re-roll something else, but Toreador disciplines being mostly useless frees up a lot of points for other things and guns are no less effective than melee. Shooting mechanics feel shit no matter the points investment, but I can look past it. :larry
The real problem are bullet spongy humans. It shouldn't take more than one shotgun blast to kill a security guard in a starched shirt, but I suppose that would have made things trickier to balance. Not looking forward to the monastery.

About to do the Giovanni mansion. Never had a particularly skilled talker in there, so curious to see what I can do differently this time.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33029 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
I'm re-playing VtMB. Clan Toreador this time and relying on guns a lot for a change. Expected to want to re-roll something else, but Toreador disciplines being mostly useless frees up a lot of points for other things and guns are no less effective than melee. Shooting mechanics feel shit no matter the points investment, but I can look past it. :larry
The real problem are bullet spongy humans. It shouldn't take more than one shotgun blast to kill a security guard in a starched shirt, but I suppose that would have made things trickier to balance. Not looking forward to the monastery.

About to do the Giovanni mansion. Never had a particularly skilled talker in there, so curious to see what I can do differently this time.

I started a new game as a Gangrel and played the intro. Smiling Jack (aka Bender) definitely had better return for the sequel.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33030 on: April 04, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »
Yoshi's Crafted World: Don't know about this one- I liked the demo enough to buy the game and it's got a lot of charm and creativity behind it, but...it just feels too easy and more of a concern- tedious.  This game is a collectathon through and through, to the point where you will end up having to replay the same levels multiple times, either to get something you missed, to redo a small timed event, to go "collect" certain items (which is really just "go find thing or things on a level, shoot them with Yoshi eggs, then quit out of the level), or to go chase down the Poochy pups.  The latter is at least better because the stage gets turned around and you get a different viewpoint, but after I did one of these stages, I STILL didn't get everything because you have to clear the level in X amount of time to earn more flowers.  None of this is difficult or anything, but I really didn't want to replay the level for a third time and quit the game for the night.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #33031 on: April 04, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
Wow, I have the opposite reaction on Crafted World. I think the game is fantastic and one of the best surprises Nintendo’s pulled out in a while. I don’t find it too easy because I’m trying to 100% every level as I go and it’s fun trying to figure where the hidden flowers/coins are and getting them. The only slightly tedious bit are the time challenge flowers but if you die twice you can restart from the latest checkpoint and keep retrying.

Graphically I think it’s amazing for a Nintendo game. Really charming art style.

*edit* actually the one part I find too easy is the boss fights. Like the first boss’s dive down attacks don’t even track you. Also there’s no sunflower for beating a boss without taking a hit and staying full 20/20 health.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:32:58 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #33032 on: April 04, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
Also it’s up to you how much collecting you want to do. I find playing a level for the 3rd time fun if I’m figuring out new things or doing new tasks. But I’m also fine just moving on after one or two runs if I want to go straight to the next stage.

I’m not doing the dog backward ones for now for instance. Just trying to 100% the front sides and it usually takes me one slower first run and then one fast 3-4 min speed run to finish off what I’ve missed. If I’m missing one flower I know by the position of the missing one approxmately where in the level it is so I can speedrun the rest.

Will do the dog runs after beating it. Also skipping the souvenir runs until then as well.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33033 on: April 04, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
Wow, I have the opposite reaction on Crafted World. I think the game is fantastic and one of the best surprises Nintendo’s pulled out in a while. I don’t find it too easy because I’m trying to 100% every level as I go and it’s fun trying to figure where the hidden flowers/coins are and getting them. The only slightly tedious bit are the time challenge flowers but if you die twice you can restart from the latest checkpoint and keep retrying.

Right...that's what I'm doing.  I don't see how you can't find this game not "too easy."  It's like playing babby's first mario as far as challenge goes (so far). 

Good to know about dying twice and restarting from a checkpoint.  I didn't know that...because I haven't died once.  :doge  It's that easy.

Graphically I think it’s amazing for a Nintendo game. Really charming art style.

Definitely; it looks great!
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #33034 on: April 04, 2019, 03:59:57 PM »

Right...that's what I'm doing.  I don't see how you can't find this game not "too easy."  It's like playing babby's first mario as far as challenge goes (so far). 

Good to know about dying twice and restarting from a checkpoint.  I didn't know that...because I haven't died once.  :doge  It's that easy.

Definitely; it looks great!

Idk, if you don’t find everything on your first run or two, that’s not easy to me and presents a challenge finding them? It’s not super hard or anything, but I feel like finding them all is a fun challenge.

Then again I really like LittlebigPlanet & Tearaway which are the games I think Crafted World is most similar to in art style & gameplay/challenge level.

They’re just kinda chill fun relaxing puzzle platformers that are charming and have great art. I have fun with my time with these kind of games.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33035 on: April 04, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »
I started a new game as a Gangrel and played the intro. Smiling Jack (aka Bender) definitely had better return for the sequel.
Damn straight! 😤 Him and maybe Beckett are the only ones who should, actually.

Speaking of, I finished the game today. Turns out it's much faster to just shoot everyone instead of creeping about everwhere. Figure that. Unfortunately, the run and gun pace also highlights how hurried and anemic the final stretch of the game is.
The Giovanni mansion is where they very obviously started to run out of time and money. The whole set-up of the mission stops mattering as soon as you're inside and by the end they completely handwave the particulars of your escape. Had to chuckle at my naive hope for speech options in there. :lol After that comes the werewolf set-piece, then it's just combat, combat, combat until the very end. Such a shame. Makes me wistful every time.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #33036 on: April 04, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
Got RE2 for cheap other day but saving that for weekend I think.

Been playing GRIM DAWN, finally got over the initial jump after all these years and it’s pretty addictive. Also somewhat relaxing, on normal anyway.

Svejk

« Reply #33037 on: April 05, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
Got to try a bit of TES: Blades on early access.  I'll have to admit... I really liked what I played so far.  Looked as good as my 2K mods on the PC Skyrim (if not better) and ran pretty smooth on my phone.  This game can totally become my new shitter time sinker.  Wish the early access was longer, because I didn't even get to the town building part, which is suppose to be just as fun as the dungeon crawling supposedly.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #33038 on: April 06, 2019, 01:20:43 AM »
sekiro is great

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33039 on: April 06, 2019, 07:48:48 PM »
Any Satisfactory bois on The Bore? I'm getting pretty close to the end of the content currently available in early access, but I wouldn't mind jumping into somebody else's game to help out.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33040 on: April 07, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
Master Blaster Zero 2

The music is catchy, the gameplay is fun and it offers more than the first Blaster Master Zero which was just a remake of the NES game.
Still nothing mind blowing, it leans a bit too much on nostalgia and if you didn't like the other Blaster Masters you won't like this either.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33041 on: April 09, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
Just finished getting every item, treasure, and upgrade in Monster Boy. Map completion is 99.9%. Just have to go and fight the final boss then I'm done.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #33042 on: April 09, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
I hope they make another Monster Boy.  Shit was so good!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #33043 on: April 12, 2019, 03:34:01 AM »
Got to try a bit of TES: Blades on early access.  I'll have to admit... I really liked what I played so far.  Looked as good as my 2K mods on the PC Skyrim (if not better) and ran pretty smooth on my phone.  This game can totally become my new shitter time sinker.  Wish the early access was longer, because I didn't even get to the town building part, which is suppose to be just as fun as the dungeon crawling supposedly.

I played a ton of TES blades in the last two weeks and deleted it (city level 4/5 and char level 16) the game has absolutely no content. Tons of grins to get story quests. All locations look the same, all quests are the same. Timers for chesta really suck and make you not want to play

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #33044 on: April 12, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
S E K I R O

Up to the final boss. I give myself 10 hours of try & error to beat him. If I cannot then I cannot, period.

Would u have really given up though?

I gave up on Sin in FFX as I didn't have any saves outside the fight so couldn't grind and I just gave up, still haunts me.

Svejk

« Reply #33045 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »

I played a ton of TES blades in the last two weeks and deleted it (city level 4/5 and char level 16) the game has absolutely no content. Tons of grins to get story quests. All locations look the same, all quests are the same. Timers for chesta really suck and make you not want to play
Yeah, I've come to realize this the past few days too.  Started to feel the grind just trying to find limestone to build dwellings.  I'm only like Town lvl 3 and character lvl 8 or 9, but cripes...  every quest is the same, and the sense of exploration is next to nonexistant.  I would've found WAY more enjoyment if they just ported over Morrowind instead.  Oh well.  I'm back on my trustee emus again.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #33046 on: April 12, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »
A shame really cause it could have been good if their monetisation idea wasnt based around grinding and timers

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33047 on: April 12, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The post credits picture seemed to hint strongly at a "Monster Girl" with Aisha and Pepelogoo
[close]
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33048 on: April 13, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
I've started Assassins Creed: Odyssey.

The last game in the series I played was 3. Which was just trash.

This game is.... amazing(!) so far. It plays like an RPG, which finally gives AC an interesting gameplay loop. It seems pretty solid technically and borrows stuff from Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Gear Solid V, Witcher 3 and a few other greats of this generation.
I'm just on the first island, having played a handful of quests and sidequests but if this keeps up I'm very impressed. This almost doesn't feel like a Ubisoft game.

🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33049 on: April 14, 2019, 05:53:41 AM »
I've started Assassins Creed: Odyssey.

The last game in the series I played was 3. Which was just trash.

This game is.... amazing(!) so far. It plays like an RPG, which finally gives AC an interesting gameplay loop.
It seems pretty solid technically and borrows stuff from Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Gear Solid V, Witcher 3 and a few other greats of this generation.
I'm just on the first island, having played a handful of quests and sidequests but if this keeps up I'm very impressed. This almost doesn't feel like a Ubisoft game.

Nah this game is also trash and it's not really an rpg it's just a mindless grind to get you to spend money on microtransactions that's why they made it 'rpg'
What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33050 on: April 14, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
Finishing up DkS3 dlc and Zelda BoTW. BoTW bombs the final act for me. So bored. I've done 40 shrines and all the bosses/side content i'm interested in (shrines, blech) and I still can't pull that dumb master sword out? lel. A weird mix with some of the most compelling content in any Zelda, and the most boring too. Mostly playing around with different builds in Souls for invasions now (realised you can infinitely respec with Rosaria  :o). Current fav is lightning claymore faith build. Heavy Claymore x Darkmoon blade low attunement build prob better for pvp, but i like the versatility of the lightning miracles + Claymore. Fucking love the Claymore.

Started FFXV too. God damn this has the worst opening of any FF game I've played next to XIII-2  :yuck
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #33051 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
I bought Starlink on a whim cause the digital version is like 20 euro.

Lets see if this will scratch that Lylat Wars itch.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33052 on: April 15, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
been playing the hell out of stardew valley
This game took me 3 tries to get to the point where it "clicked" and I've put in a solid 60 hours into it the last few weeks. but I'm starting to get to the point where I feel I've done everything I could reasonably do. Got married, had a kid, did the desert, getting the cellar. After the cellar's done I don't really have a goal. If I don't have a goal games just fall apart for me. Been thinking about getting "My Time in Portia" has anyone played that? How is it? Seems a similar vibe.
que

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33053 on: April 15, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
Not as good as Stardew but still aight
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33054 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »
It was never as good as UFC on Dreamcast

This game was the shit!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:40:29 PM by MMaRsu »
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33055 on: April 16, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »

The post credits picture seemed to hint strongly at a "Monster Girl" with Aisha and Pepelogoo
[close]
I'd be happier if it was Ms. Monster Boy for a sequel, update for a truly inclusive main character.
[close]
Picked up UFC 3 at my library...boy this isn't fun at all. Not that the other EA UFC games were particularly fun either, but this is SO slow and the controls just keep getting more complicated to the point of just being a confusing mess. Doing anything grappling related is a nightmare, but the strikes are also boring and completely unsatisfying.
Undisputed 3 is the...undisputed :mike GOAT of MMA games. EA should have just used their engine with Fight Night graphics and called it a day. What they have now is an abomination.
I can't tell if you're still hating it in the 2nd post or not. I also thought the control scheme was overly complicated, but it's pretty robust once you get used to it. I hope you end up liking it; we worked our asses off on that game to make it the best in the series.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33056 on: April 17, 2019, 04:38:56 AM »
I can't tell if you're still hating it in the 2nd post or not. I also thought the control scheme was overly complicated, but it's pretty robust once you get used to it. I hope you end up liking it; we worked our asses off on that game to make it the best in the series.

He hates EA's UFC 3. He says UFC Undisputed 3 is the best UFC game released.

So depending on the one you worked on you can take that as either an insult or high praise.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33057 on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:33 AM »

He hates EA's UFC 3. He says UFC Undisputed 3 is the best UFC game released.

So depending on the one you worked on you can take that as either an insult or high praise.

I worked on all 3 THQ UFC games, so I’ll take the W.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33058 on: April 18, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
Katana Zero: Got this from the J-eShop yesterday and played the first 4-5 stages last night.  The game is currently Switch-exclusive but is coming to other platforms later on, IIRC.  This game kind of plays like a 2D side-scrolling version of Hotline Miami, complete with a bit of the same kind of trippy, drugged-out vibe.  The main character dresses like a samurai and gets injected with drugs that make him perceive time differently than everyone else, which for the player means you can slow down time and more easily dodge attacks/bullets when in this state. 

There's also some dialogue choices that pop up in the story segments which appear to have an affect on how things play out- initially you just see one answer, in red, but if you wait a bit, more choices pop up in white that give you more of a personality and/or question what is going on. 
On one level, you go to a hotel and a receptionist asks why you're dressed weird.  I went with "cosplay" and it kicked off this little segment with him lying about being some kind of Pokemon-like dude and there's some dumb banter about it.  Later on, after clearing the level, there's a SWAT officer blocking the path and I was able to get around him because a dialogue was triggered referencing the cosplay conversation.  :lol
[close]

The game play is also a bit Hotline Miami-like in that you're going into rooms/sections and need to take out a number of enemies quickly, using your sword or picking up items and throwing them.  You can also make use of traps when available.  It's one hit kills, so expect to die and replay stages more than once.  You have to be careful, because when you clear a level, you have to go back to the exit, and one time I died from a trap that I triggered accidentally and had to do it all over again.
:dizzy  There's some stealth stuff too, but it's pretty light and is mostly just "hiding" from spotlights or cameras by standing in a specific place.

Definitely worth checking out!
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #33059 on: April 18, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »
Work has been nuts, can't start Sekiro, I need something to chill :lol

Just got Anno 1800, gonna give it a spin now  :aah