Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558683 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #33060 on: April 18, 2019, 11:28:05 PM »
Katana Zero: Got this from the J-eShop yesterday and played the first 4-5 stages last night.  The game is currently Switch-exclusive but is coming to other platforms later on, IIRC.  This game kind of plays like a 2D side-scrolling version of Hotline Miami, complete with a bit of the same kind of trippy, drugged-out vibe.  The main character dresses like a samurai and gets injected with drugs that make him perceive time differently than everyone else, which for the player means you can slow down time and more easily dodge attacks/bullets when in this state. 

There's also some dialogue choices that pop up in the story segments which appear to have an affect on how things play out- initially you just see one answer, in red, but if you wait a bit, more choices pop up in white that give you more of a personality and/or question what is going on. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
On one level, you go to a hotel and a receptionist asks why you're dressed weird.  I went with "cosplay" and it kicked off this little segment with him lying about being some kind of Pokemon-like dude and there's some dumb banter about it.  Later on, after clearing the level, there's a SWAT officer blocking the path and I was able to get around him because a dialogue was triggered referencing the cosplay conversation.  :lol
[close]

The game play is also a bit Hotline Miami-like in that you're going into rooms/sections and need to take out a number of enemies quickly, using your sword or picking up items and throwing them.  You can also make use of traps when available.  It's one hit kills, so expect to die and replay stages more than once.  You have to be careful, because when you clear a level, you have to go back to the exit, and one time I died from a trap that I triggered accidentally and had to do it all over again.
:dizzy  There's some stealth stuff too, but it's pretty light and is mostly just "hiding" from spotlights or cameras by standing in a specific place.

Definitely worth checking out!

The challenge level has really ramped-up and the game just keeps on getting better and better.  Really nice seeing how it keeps throwing new surprises into the mix this far in.  The game rocks!

It's out on Steam now as well.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33061 on: April 21, 2019, 05:40:24 AM »
Played some more AC:O the game has opened up quite a bit and I have a ship now. For an Ubisoft game there's quite some variation in tasks and quests so far.
Find some civilians who have stolen food from the military, search for an item in a heavily guarded fort, recruit new dudes for your ship etc. .

The new area where I am at now looks even better than the introduction island. Much more variety in colors.

So yeah still having fun and exceeding my expectations.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #33062 on: April 21, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »
Felt the same way about AC: Odyssey.  It's not till about the halfway point where you'll start to feel the grind.    Game is a bit too big for it's own good, imo.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #33063 on: April 23, 2019, 12:42:03 AM »
Slay the spire is addicting, haven't felt this "one more turn/play" urge from a pc game since civ

it's worse though because sts runs on literally anything and I don't have to be concerned about my potato desktop overheating or anything like that

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33064 on: April 23, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
Started My Time in Portia so far it's passable/enjoyable. But the art style is HORRENDOUS.
Holy crap.
que

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33065 on: April 24, 2019, 12:01:38 PM »
Yup looks like some garbage free engine shit or something
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #33066 on: April 24, 2019, 06:19:38 PM »
Dragon Ball Origins 2 - For some reason I had the urge of getting the first game recently after almost a decade. So I got the sequel, since it has the more interesting story arc. Either way, in the beginning I thought it would be an average brawler, but there's actually a pretty good variety down the line. Very fun game.

DS is the gift that keeps on giving (while I already was done with 3ds like a one and a half years ago and haven't felt like I missed anything).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:09:20 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #33067 on: April 25, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
Stuff I'm currently playing:

FF14 - Spent like 50 hours in the last month getting all my crafting jobs caught up and now working on my Dark Knight job since the next expansion is Dark Knight focused it seems like how Heavensward was Dragoon focused.

Sekiro - I guess I'm a little under halfway? (is Genichiro the mid-point in the main story?). Haven't played in like 2 days but when I do next gonna do Abandoned Dungeon and then move on in the story post-Genichiro.

Yoshi's Crafted World - I think I'm like 75% through or something. I'm a little mixed on this game and the Yoshi franchise in general. I like finding all the secrets and I love the art direction, but sometimes finding all the secrets is really frustrating and not fun. Hell for as easy as Crafted World is, there have been levels that have made me semi-rage and wish crafted world was an EASIER game. But I'm going for a 100% run. I feel like when I sit down and play Wooly's World next I'll have the same frustrations that I had with YI and Crafted World. Like in Mario platformers I go for the hidden coins/stars whatever, but I never feel OCD about getting them and never go anywhere near 100% and I'm just satisfied beating the levels and moving to the next. But these Yoshi games trigger my OCD because just getting to the end of the level doesn't feel satisfying, only satisfying if you hit 100% on stages.

Super Robot Wars T - Around stage 16/50. Finally introducing some of the new entry series for SRW like Magic Knight Rayearth, Exiled from Paradise, and Dunbine movie. Kinda weird they waited this far in to introduce the new stuff but new stuff is definitely more enjoyable to play since it hasn't been done in SRW before. Oh, forgot Captain Harlock & Cowboy Bebop are also new and those came in early. Harlock's rad, Bebop is alright (great show, just not much on the mecha front). Whoops, Mazinger Infinity as well, but that movie was so bad I can't really care.

Fata Morgana Reincarnation - Near the end of this VN. Jacobo/Morgana is the meat of it and BOY IS IT GOOD coming from Fata Morgana Requiem. This 3 part series franchise is like the best emotional rollercoaster story ever. Shit will wreck you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:34:01 PM by Bebpo »

Himu

« Reply #33068 on: April 25, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
Dragon Ball Origins 2 - For some reason I had the urge of getting the first game recently after almost a decade. So I got the sequel, since it has the more interesting story arc. Either way, in the beginning I thought it would be an average brawler, but there's actually a pretty good variety down the line. Very fun game.

DS is the gift that keeps on giving (while I already was done with 3ds like a one and a half years ago and haven't felt like I missed anything).

The original is very very underrated. The sequel even more so. Grats.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33069 on: April 26, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
Felt the same way about AC: Odyssey.  It's not till about the halfway point where you'll start to feel the grind.    Game is a bit too big for it's own good, imo.
Not sure how big this game is but I'm now level 12 and the story is moving along. I'm still sort of blown away by how consistent the quality of this game is.
Ubisoft games usually drop dead right after the carefully crafted E3 introduction sequence. Outside of the occasionally stuck NPC and wild wolfs killing entire villages I've not seen much Ubibugs in this game
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #33070 on: April 27, 2019, 01:08:05 AM »
Not sure how big this game is but I'm now level 12 and the story is moving along. I'm still sort of blown away by how consistent the quality of this game is.
Ubisoft games usually drop dead right after the carefully crafted E3 introduction sequence. Outside of the occasionally stuck NPC and wild wolfs killing entire villages I've not seen much Ubibugs in this game
Once you get to lvl 30ish is when the game kinda becomes a chore.  Don't get me wrong, it's a blast to play, but if you're gonna get the most out of it, it'll take some grinding.  The game certainly is an... Odyssey.. I started to get fed up some, because I needed to move onto other games.  Still, overall, it's impressive what Ubi pulled off.  For as large as it is, I'd say it's pretty damn polished and fun.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33071 on: April 27, 2019, 07:48:14 PM »
scooped Final Fantasy VII on the Xbone.

The nostalgia OMG

:lawd :rejoice

« Reply #33072 on: April 28, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »
Strated Digimon Cyber Sleuth and this thing feels like an even more budget version of Hack GU, with some sprinkling of Persona and Pokemon added to the mix. With not being able to control the camera and the random encounters, it's really nailing the feel of a 90s JRPG.

Also all them sexy female character designs  :exxy

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #33073 on: April 28, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
Digital Devil Saga (PS3), Soul Reaver (DC) and Riddled Corpses EX (Switch)
reckt

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33074 on: April 28, 2019, 05:50:46 PM »
MK11 unlocked frost godamn the storymode takes forever.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33075 on: April 28, 2019, 07:09:44 PM »
Strated Digimon Cyber Sleuth and this thing feels like an even more budget version of Hack GU, with some sprinkling of Persona and Pokemon added to the mix. With not being able to control the camera and the random encounters, it's really nailing the feel of a 90s JRPG.

Also all them sexy female character designs  :exxy

It's an alright game. I never did finish it, but I put a decent amount of time into it before getting bored.
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #33076 on: April 30, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »
Oxenfree is a game you can beat in one sitting. It‘s alright. The writing is pretty good and I really like the artstyle.

Play that one first I guess. :trumps

Salt&Sanctuary has been sitting in my backlog since it came out. :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33077 on: April 30, 2019, 04:30:48 PM »
Borys when will you play RDR2 I'm curious to see what you think of it

Also do you like games like Dead Cell??
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33078 on: May 05, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
Sigma Star Saga, I will let this guy speak for me, since I'm pretty much in agreement on everything.

It's still holding my interest, but I don't know if I will finish it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33079 on: May 05, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
Made it to Athens in AC Odessey at level 18.
It looks so good. Greece is a great setting for AC.
🤴

bluemax

« Reply #33080 on: May 06, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
Suikoden 1 - Not digging the inventory management so far, and there's a lot of stuff that is very... rough. Some of the music feels like it should be in SOTN.

Resonance of Fate 4k - Interesting game, battle system reminds me a bit of the VC games.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #33081 on: May 07, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »
Yeah I know a lot of metroid fans that dropped Axiom Verge early on. I was one of them and just wasn't feeling it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33082 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I generally enjoy games in that vein but I didnt like Axion Verge either
What

Svejk

« Reply #33083 on: May 07, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »
Chrono Cross is one of those games where the music surpasses the game itself.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33084 on: May 07, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
I thought it was pretty popular on Xbox??? What was that other well known Xbox Metroidvania? Not Ori, something older. I was sure Axiom Verge was that game but it seems not.
Shadow Complex?

Bebpo

« Reply #33085 on: May 07, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »

I mean, I liked the game too...but yeah the music is incredible.

Svejk

« Reply #33086 on: May 07, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »

Like CT, I need to give it another honest go...  The battle system was very unique, but it never clicked with me.  May have to put it back on my phone here.

Freyj

« Reply #33087 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »
Axiom Verge is a lot better than it initially seems but I still find the art style pretty meh and the backtracking and traversal is peak bad metroidvania.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33088 on: May 07, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »
I liked how Axiom Verge subverted my expectations of Metroidvania games, but the bullet sponge boss fights and large, nondescript areas made it a bit of a chore at points.
^_^

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #33089 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:11 PM »
Sekiro Guardian Ape fight went from :rejoice  to :brazilcry real quick

Himu

« Reply #33090 on: May 08, 2019, 06:04:16 AM »

Like CT, I need to give it another honest go...  The battle system was very unique, but it never clicked with me.  May have to put it back on my phone here.

liked it more as an adult.

posted about it here on reset.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/reconsidering-chrono-cross.9906/

I prefer it to Trigger now.

I used to make forum content like this. No longer.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #33091 on: May 09, 2019, 02:32:48 AM »
I thought it was pretty popular on Xbox??? What was that other well known Xbox Metroidvania? Not Ori, something older. I was sure Axiom Verge was that game but it seems not.

There was a good break down I read once that talked about why it fails as a Metroid clone.
NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33092 on: May 10, 2019, 10:22:57 PM »
I've been trying some AC Odyssey.
Whoever balanced the power levels in this game either had, or needed a lobotomy.

One guy 2 levels above me kills me in 2 hits, and took (no joke) 40 minutes to kill, because i literally do .1% damage to his health bar... and they attacked me in two.
Then a guy just 1 level below me, will die in 4 hits.

Go fuck a cactus.

Origins was also shit, in this regard, but i don't remember it being this fucking bad.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33093 on: May 11, 2019, 05:58:15 AM »
Maybe you wanna buy some boosters to increase your lvl?  :doge
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33094 on: May 11, 2019, 06:05:34 AM »
I've been trying some AC Odyssey.
Whoever balanced the power levels in this game either had, or needed a lobotomy.

One guy 2 levels above me kills me in 2 hits, and took (no joke) 40 minutes to kill, because i literally do .1% damage to his health bar... and they attacked me in two.
Then a guy just 1 level below me, will die in 4 hits.

Go fuck a cactus.

Origins was also shit, in this regard, but i don't remember it being this fucking bad.
Don't forget to equip your new gear.

Also some enemies have different weakspots. Some are weak against fire, others against poison.
The shield breaker is one of the most important skills to unlock because a lot of dudes use shields.

It takes some time getting used to the combat system. As with most of these type of games. You start out weak having to rely on sneak attacks or simply evading your enemies.
As you get stronger and get more skills you can hold your own against multiple dudes. But at the start you should just GTFO.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33095 on: May 11, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
Maybe you wanna buy some boosters to increase your lvl?  :doge
That actually wouldn't help with the issue though, because the enemies go from an interminable grind, to dying it 3 hits in just a couple of levels, so even if i leveled up (and i have cheat engine, i don't need to buy shit  :doge) it still wouldn't go around that.

Don't forget to equip your new gear.

Also some enemies have different weakspots. Some are weak against fire, others against poison.
The shield breaker is one of the most important skills to unlock because a lot of dudes use shields.

It takes some time getting used to the combat system. As with most of these type of games. You start out weak having to rely on sneak attacks or simply evading your enemies.
As you get stronger and get more skills you can hold your own against multiple dudes. But at the start you should just GTFO.
Yeah, yeah i had all the gear properly equipped (this is several hours into the game, as it wasn't my save, i was trying out a friend's).
The game is similar enough to Origins, where that stuff isn't that confusing, but even that game didn't feel as terrible when it came to level gating you out of fights, not through challenging move sets, but sheer number gaming.
Or maybe it was, and i just liked the rest more?

I mean it's an rpg first, action game second i guess, but this is really pushing it in my opinion.
I'd understand taking 40 minutes to kill someone 6 or 10 levels above me, but not 1 or 2, ffs.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33096 on: May 11, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
Just play something better  :snob
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33097 on: May 11, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
origin

:rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #33098 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50:15 AM »
Finished Yoshi's Crafted World. I kind of got burnt out on the game and stopped going for 100% on each stage about 2/3rds through and didn't bother with the backwards dogs stages for most of them or souvenir hunts. I had enough flowers to do all the hidden hills "hard" stages outside the final hidden boss one. Might go grab all the dog ones and do it, might not. The hidden hard stages weren't really well designed hard stages, they were just a little tougher and instant-kill platforming with no checkpoints and putting their flowers in spots which will usually kill you, which is more just annoying than hard.

Overall I thought the art design was stellar, and there were some creative stages and finding the hidden flowers/coins was usually pretty fun. Level design was ok, some annoying levels, and generally yeah it's too easy and when it's hard it's often because something annoying. The timer challenges are bad design even if you can kill yourself and restart from the latest checkpoint. Part of this is the aiming controls for 3d aiming at objects in a background plane are pretty slow and clunky and when you have to do it on a timer it often feels more like it's the game's fault if you don't pull it off.

The music isn't great but I don't hate it like some people do. It's one tune remixed a bunch of different ways and it's ok. Some of the remixes were kinda fun.

I like the backwards stages with the pups. They're generally easy and you can get all of them/100% them on the first attempt usually, but it's neat seeing the other side of the stages. The souvenir hunts would've been more fun if they gave them to you before you beat a level so you can look for objects while you play instead of on another run. A lot of the game feels like it kinda wastes your time with stuff like that, which is one of the reasons I got burnt out on it. It's a little too long for its own good if you're taking your time doing all the stuff.

I think the 7/10, 8/10 reviews are pretty fair. It's a gorgeous game and the unreal engine meshed very well with Nintendo's aesthetics. I'd like to see the art team on this work on a game that's a little better designed. Like put these guys on a Paper Mario game with some good gameplay designers and you'd have a win.

Right now I like Yoshi's Island 1 more than Crafted World, but I don't think either is truly great. Will get to Woolly World at some point later this year.

Bebpo

« Reply #33099 on: May 13, 2019, 01:23:18 AM »
Got back to Guacamelee 2 and Borys, I think you're wrong that it doesn't hold up after Hollow Knight. It's such a different kind of game that the platforming w/special moves rhythm that you get into is a different kind of game than HK. I love how Guacamelee feels like you're always speedrunning because you just keep moving and platforming like a platformer. The combat's always reminded me more of Devil May Cry than anything since it's about combining special moves into each other like launchers and throws.

Almost at the 2nd temple now and I'm surprised at how tough some of the platforming/optional platforming is getting already. Like in the first game I remember Treetops being HARD but otherwise didn't remember any real tough platforming in the main game, but now just like 2 temples in there's bits that've had me retrying a dozen or two times to nail it. Combat seems about the same but platforming seems more challenging. Pretty fun stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #33100 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:08 AM »
Yeah, I hear you. I just think Guacamelee is more like a metroidvania platformer with combat sections whereas HK is a metroidvania exploration combat game with light platforming (outside White Palace).

I love HK somber sad Souls atmosphere, but I also love the colorful Guac style with great music and funny dialogues. Whenever you get a heart or stamina upgrade and the chickens pop up and the mariachi riff plays it’s great.

Just really opposite games in the metroidvania spectrum.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33101 on: May 13, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
That's still very early in the game. But it doesn't really "get more difficult"
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #33102 on: May 14, 2019, 02:35:54 AM »
Played a ton more Guacamelee 2, got through the 2nd temple, prison, in inferno for the second time now on the way to the last? temple. I think I have close to all the power ups so I'm going around finishing getting all the chests. I forgot how short these games are (in a good way). Stuff like Hollow Knight I play for weeks with like 30-40 hour game length and slower careful pacing, but Guacamelee 1/2 are like beat in 2-3 sittings (hell maybe even 1 sitting on replays) games that just move fast, fast, fast and you're constantly getting new abilities like every 30-45 mins. Really great pacing.

They did a good job on the chicken parts in this one. I don't remember them being so good in the original but a lot of the platforming puzzles with the abilities are really well done. Only one that feels a little less original is the refresher dots which are straight out of Celeste, but everything else feels neat.

I also enjoy all the references, the Street Fighter 2 car bit was  :rofl

And the chicken kingdom music is so great.

Unless there's a lot more to the game, guessing I'll finish it next time I play or two. Was a good fun break from long ass rpgs and stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #33103 on: May 14, 2019, 02:40:44 AM »
Oh and the "Grindiest Timeline" was pretty funny. Like if that went any longer it'd be annoying since it's slooow, but was great with the length it is.

Bebpo

« Reply #33104 on: May 14, 2019, 03:20:50 AM »
Yeah, I remember when I played CC I didn't remember much about CT's story even then so I just took it as it went.

One of the often cited "negatives" about CC is yeah you get a million characters but there's not much use for most of them and they often have very little story. Which to me is similar to Suikoden, but I'm fine with the variety in both. I kind of like an idea of an rpg where almost every NPC is recruitable just because.

Do the Timed Challenges Bebpo they are very short and very fun (kind of... hehehehe). Oh and the Dankest Timeline cave for reeeeeeeeeeeee type of posters.

Where are these?

Also what the fuck was up with the house of doors? I spent all that gold and got...

1 gold
[close]

:(

Bebpo

« Reply #33105 on: May 14, 2019, 04:54:18 AM »
Ok, guessing it appears later. Didn’t see it on the map yet.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33106 on: May 14, 2019, 05:24:26 AM »
Been playing Ninja Gaiden 2

No action game comes close, since this has an awesome dismemberment system

Except NGB ofcourse
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33107 on: May 14, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
BABIES! Adorable, yet strangely dark game. That carpet bombing of the village early on was gruesome. :lol

Just defeated the possessed Hammer Bros. The inputs break my brain occasionally (all face buttons are in use), but it's good fun.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:58:07 AM by Rufus »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33108 on: May 14, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »
Going through the FFXV Royal Edition content, finished the 4 DLCs, Chapter 13 verse 2, and now replaying Chapter 14 since that's where I hear the new content is.

First off, I'm pretty disappointed that the extra content isn't on the disk and I had to put in the code/download everything separately. But whatevs.

Episode Gladio - a pretty meh linear dungeon crawl, with a few fairly tough boss fights. Doesn't seem to add anything to the story but the Gilgamesh cameo is always appreciated.

Episode Prompto - it fleshes out Prompto's character, including a late game plot point that was glossed over in the base game, and actually has a small 'open world' with sidequests later in the DLC. But that doesn't mean it's very fun to play. They turned FFXV into a janky 3rd person shooter through bland industrial corridors, it felt like I stepped back in time to the PS360 gen. And the shooter mechanics in the FFXV engine are as clunky as you'd expect. The sidequests are run of the mill fetch quests that I mostly skipped, since they're active at different times of the day. You get a snowmobile which is pretty fun to ride though.

Episode Ignis - the gameplay is pretty fun, since it's a bit faster than base FFXV and allows you to change attack styles. But it doesn't feel like it adds much to the story either. There's a thing where you can wrestle control of different districts of Altissia from imperial troops, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on anything. I like the Altissia setting in this game (makes me more excited to go to Venice later this year) and the gameplay wasn't too bad, so I liked this DLC overall.

Episode Ardyn - probably the best of the DLCs. Ardyn is pretty fast moving and responsive, and you get to explore Insomnia a bit. It fleshes out his character a good deal more than the base game. If you're gonna play one DLC, make it this one.

Chapter 13 Verse 2 - since everyone loved the original game's Chapter 13 that goes on FOREVERRR, now we have another half hour of it. But at least this time you can play as Gladio and use your more traditional attack style. Fleshes out Ravus's character a tiny bit and is over fast enough.
^_^

Chooky

« Reply #33109 on: May 14, 2019, 10:24:34 PM »
are you telling me Ep Ignis didnt make you emotional as shit? you heartless monster

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33110 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
Am I going to find a metroidvania that even remotely compares to Hollow Knight or should I not bother? Guacamelee looks like a good contender.
每天生气

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33111 on: May 16, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
Am I going to find a metroidvania that even remotely compares to Hollow Knight or should I not bother? Guacamelee looks like a good contender.

Haven't played Hollow Knight but if you're into puzzle platformers, you'll enjoy Monster Boy.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #33112 on: May 17, 2019, 12:50:22 AM »

Probably not, but Guacamelee's good. It's closer to Celeste and Super Meat Boy than Hollow Knight imo. The combat is never too hard but the platforming will make your palms sweat.

Bebpo

« Reply #33113 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:47 AM »
Beat Guacamelee 2. Was great. Some of the platforming in the last dungeon and optional areas are >_____<

But, I think the game's easier than the first overall. Like in the original I 99%'d the game only because I couldn't beat the last 2 screens or so of Treetops platforming. Here when I got to Treetops I was like OH FUCK ME NO and then they're like "you're almost there, the key is so close" and IT'S NOT, but I made it through and beat the treetops section and all the optional platforming bits I ran across, so I feel like that was easier here. The final boss was also really easy which was weird because I remember the last boss in the original being pretty challenging until you got all the moves down. Combat is still satisfying but G2 feels even more platformer focused than G1, which is fine since the platforming is good. Some of the bits in the last dungeon with snakes and stuff were really fun.

I did read there's some chicken trial thing that's harder than treetops in the original though, so maybe not on the easier part.

Anyhow, took me almost 9 hours and I didn't get close to 100%. Probably gonna clean up a bit and try for the last couple keys I'm missing for the true end.

Overall Guacamelee 2 is more of the same, but when the original is one of my top Metroidvania's with Hollow Knight, SoTN and Super Metroid, another quality Guacamelee is a good playthrough. Great art, great music, funny writing and I even liked the story. Will be interesting to see what Drinkbox does next. Severed wasn't as good as Guacamelee but it was pretty creative & interesting. I'm surprised they didn't port it to Switch since they ported it to iOS and it's touchscreen based.

One thing I do really like about Guacamelee 1 & 2 is I feel like in gaming they're the best celebration of Mexican culture since like Grim Fandango.

They are... up in the sky. You can see it on the world map. You can get there from one of the flat areas by going up. It's impossible to miss, honestly, it's a big, floating temple with like 20 doors upfront. Each door is one particular, timed challenge.

So I went to this place and the guy goes "before you enter, you have to pay your dues...literally, uh, do you want to go to the PSN store?"  :lol

Not sure if I want to pay extra for it, but I'll watch some youtube vids of it and see.

Bebpo

« Reply #33114 on: May 17, 2019, 01:16:47 AM »
I think Guacamelee! 2 ultra bombed. There was like no hype for it vs when the first game launched :(

Yeah I just youtubed the

Javier x 3 fight
[close]
, since you mentioned it and I didn't run into it (only found 3 of the key parts) and the video only had 118 views and 0 comments. The first game was pretty underrated. They ported it everywhere to get more exposure little by little but most people haven't even heard of it. Not surprised Pt.2 bombed.

Then again in the credits, Drinkbox studio is like...10 people. So hopefully the games sell enough to keep them afloat.

The soundtrack is so good too.

I think not as HK is the pinnacle of the genre even besting Super Metroid and SOTN. Adjust your expectations (downwards) slightly and enjoy other titles? Guacamelee is kind of different. Same genre but different flavour.

Ori is kind of good and stylistycally similiar to HK (dark forests and caves). I'd suggest Ori over Guacamelee but Ori has like no bosses at all vs HK 456789876 bosses.

I still haven't played Ori after all these years  :(

I have the directors cut version they released after, so I'll give it a play one of these days.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33115 on: May 17, 2019, 05:06:59 AM »
Just been smashing through Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition.

The DLC content is sweet! Never did the Wheels of Fury stuff first time as theres no achievements - but the futuristic race-car you get is super sweet. Just about to do the 'Zodiac Tournament' DLC, which apparently is parody/homage to Enter the Dragon. I'm havent seen the film (although funnily enough have seen Jim Kelly's follow up flicks - Black Belt Jones and Hot Potato). Hopefully I'll be able to appreciate the content well enough. I'm hoping there will a black dude with a massive afro to fight
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:38:49 AM by The Sceneman »

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #33116 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
No Jim Kelly clones in there to fight (his character was Bruce's friend in the movie).  But it is a fun DLC that is all fighting.  You may not get all the references, but ETD's plot isn't exactly Shakespeare.  An undercover cop goes into a fighting tournament to try and bust a crime lord.  Mortal Kombat basically used the same thing.

The Nightmare in North Point DLC is fun as well, again, it may help if you've seen Hong Kong kyonshi ("hopping vampire") movies like Mr. Vampire but it's a nice take on the "zombie mode" subgenre.

One thing I did really like about SD was how deep the Hong Kong movie references got.  Like they had the expected Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan outfits, but there was stuff from Stephen Chow and Andy Lau movies in there as well.

It was originally going to be a full on Hong Kong/USA co-production with the in-game actors being from HK (most of them can speak pretty good English).  The early promo movie for it was filmed in HK and had legit people from the industry working on it behind the camera.  Suppoedly Sammo Hung was going to have a big part in the game and helping with doing the mocap for the kung fu moves.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:49:48 AM by porkbun »

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #33117 on: May 17, 2019, 08:46:02 AM »
I hit quote instead of modify, I am dumb.  Which is further proven by the fact that I played the Lynx version of Pit Fighter for an hour on the bus today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:50:36 AM by porkbun »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33118 on: May 17, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »

:aah
dog

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33119 on: May 17, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
No Jim Kelly clones in there to fight (his character was Bruce's friend in the movie).  But it is a fun DLC that is all fighting.  You may not get all the references, but ETD's plot isn't exactly Shakespeare.  An undercover cop goes into a fighting tournament to try and bust a crime lord.  Mortal Kombat basically used the same thing.

The Nightmare in North Point DLC is fun as well, again, it may help if you've seen Hong Kong kyonshi ("hopping vampire") movies like Mr. Vampire but it's a nice take on the "zombie mode" subgenre.

One thing I did really like about SD was how deep the Hong Kong movie references got.  Like they had the expected Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan outfits, but there was stuff from Stephen Chow and Andy Lau movies in there as well.

It was originally going to be a full on Hong Kong/USA co-production with the in-game actors being from HK (most of them can speak pretty good English).  The early promo movie for it was filmed in HK and had legit people from the industry working on it behind the camera.  Suppoedly Sammo Hung was going to have a big part in the game and helping with doing the mocap for the kung fu moves.

Thanks for your post mr porkbun :D

I love Wei Shen's voice actor - nails his part with gusto. What an interesting game with such an unusual production.

I saw this video a few months ago, the latter half of it details SD development: