Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558189 times)

Svejk

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #33480 on: September 15, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
Also tried Arkham Knight.  Having not played any prior Arkham games, this game is impressive so far.  Went ahead and scooped the 1989 costume set.  8).  I may get into this game. ..

Start with the others. Though the remasters are poor last I heard.
I would if I had the time.   :-\  I just wanted to give it a try since it was free, but it's hitting some nostalgic chords kinda hard.  Besides the dlc suit, I get total 1989 Batman vibes form this game around the board.  This is the Batman game I always wanted as a kid!  I'm not too into the story in terms of keeping up with all the villains and whatnot, I just always liked all the gadgets and fighting n' shit.

Edit: Has it really been 30 years?!  Fuuuuuuuuuuuu I'm getting old. 

paprikastaude

« Reply #33481 on: September 15, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
it's not for the story, the prior games were better. pretty sure most of them have tons of additional suits also - at least City.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:01:56 PM by Spieler1 »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33482 on: September 15, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
Remnant is cash af

Hi can you stop stealing my avatar thanks
What

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33483 on: September 15, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
All Void Bastards, all of the time!!!

Game is so good. Will write a review at some point if I can be bothered

Bebpo

« Reply #33484 on: September 15, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
Tried Fight N' Rage and got to stage 5 on normal before suspend quitting because need a break. It's pretty fun and good beat 'em up. Was kinda hoping the difficulty would ramp up quicker because I didn't want to play this long on my first run, just wanted to check it out. Also people were saying the combo system is really good so I went in expecting something combo-heavy like Guardian Heroes but the extent of combo seems to basically be wall juggles (or 2p stuff but I'm just playing 1p). Definitely seems worth the $4 or whatever it is on sale right now.

Bebpo

« Reply #33485 on: September 16, 2019, 02:24:23 AM »
Here's me vs a boss to give you an idea how the boss fights go. This was the winning attempt. The mods I have are also obtained from RNG bosses so bless up the RNG gods in my playthrough :bow

Legit Soulsborne title.

I was asking a friend about this game because they bought it when it came out and was wondering if they were in line with your opinions and they told me the game is designed for co-op and solo sucks. Did you do the whole thing solo?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33486 on: September 16, 2019, 09:01:16 AM »
Lets not forget Borys is a legend
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33487 on: September 16, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Operation C
Burai Fighter DX
Double Dragon
SML
SML 2
SML 3 Wario
Gargoyles Quest
Kirby's Pinball
Lock N Chase

Gameboy :rejoice

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:06:41 AM by D3RANG3D »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33488 on: September 16, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
Liked Dead Cells so much for free on Xbox I had to buy it for switch

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33489 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
Eh the Surge is to Dead Space like Pitch Black is to Event Horizon
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33490 on: September 17, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
Yeah, The Surge is just...fine. It's got a few things going for it, but never really takes off in an way that makes the overall package particularly interesting. Got it cheap, played for a while, then moved on.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #33491 on: September 18, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »
Got and beat that game A Way Out which was recently on sale.

I liked it with some caveats. I was surprised at how much of the game was out of the prison compared to in the prison. I thought it would be some elaborate and involved scheme to get out but it really isn't. You get out fairly quickly and simply.

Outside of that, I thought it was a good amount of fun if you get it at the right price. If I had bought it at full price, I would be much more tough on the experience but paying as much as I did for it puts it in the proper sort of context for fun/dollar value.

I kinda dug the ending. Surprised they went that way also. 

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #33492 on: September 18, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »

MR GILHANEY IS BACK WIHT THE BIG  :brain PLAYS AGAINST SMOOTH BRAIN RUSKIS

Bebpo

« Reply #33493 on: September 19, 2019, 02:06:32 AM »
I finally got around to playing Vanillaware's 13 Sentinels Prologue paid 3-4 hour demo and hoooooooolyyyyy mooooolly I can't believe I slept on this for so long. It's really awesome. Like it's a visual novel/adventure game but the art is fucking amazing and it's the most beautiful adv I've ever played. The story is cool and the way it's paced and cuts between scenes at different PoVs and different time periods from the 1940s to 2064 and is like epic time traveling tons of character sci-fi mecha vs aliens end of the world scenario is fucking cool. Also absolutely fantastic VA on the JP audio.

Gonna be there day 1 for the Japan release in November. Could be Vanillaware's best game. It's awesome it's getting western localization and hopefully it won't come too much later.

Himu

« Reply #33494 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
Undertale

So far, it reminds me of Earthbound so much that I'd rather just play Earthbound, which is a far, far superior game. :zzz
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33495 on: September 19, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
 ???

dafuq

I never played Earthbound but Undertale is glorious. How far are you? I thought it was really amazing, since I had no knowledge of the game besides the name really  :lol.

I did read beforehand the game is much better if you go the pacifist route, so that's what I did. I just talked to everyone. Man what a glorious game.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33496 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »

MR GILHANEY IS BACK WIHT THE BIG  :brain PLAYS AGAINST SMOOTH BRAIN RUSKIS

oh shit son  :lawd :leon
What

Bebpo

« Reply #33497 on: September 19, 2019, 02:22:41 PM »
MMarasu, play Earthbound. Still good.

Undertale

So far, it reminds me of Earthbound so much that I'd rather just play Earthbound, which is a far, far superior game. :zzz

::)

Because Earthbound was a shmup.

Anyhow opening for Undertale sucks until you get to Sans. Did you get to Sans?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33498 on: September 19, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
the feel of undertale reminded me of earthbound as well but i never got too far into it. it's one of those i know i'll get back to "one day".

it's dumb but the amount of times i'd hear that i NEEDED to play undertale and how AMAZING it was made me really less interested in it :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #33499 on: September 19, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
It’s much more than an Earthbound clone. The battle system is darn good & incredibly original.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33500 on: September 19, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
it's on game pass so perhaps i'll pop back in once i finish the ffxiv story. an rpg like that seems well suited to switch but i'm sticking to my "no game purchases til cyberpunk" stance :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33501 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »
Well if it's on Gamepass it can't hurt to get back into it. It's not even that long either.

Yeah I might play Earthbound if I get the time for it. It's on my SNES Mini which never gets any love :(
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33502 on: September 19, 2019, 02:37:53 PM »
M E G A L O V A N I A
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33503 on: September 19, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
i went back to earthbound a year or so ago and was surprised at how difficult it was. i don't remember having to grind as much when i was playing it as a kid :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33504 on: September 19, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »
Undertale requires no grinding and can easily be beat on Lv 1.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33505 on: September 19, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
I cannot bring myself to replay it tho

but thats not because the game isnt good
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33506 on: September 19, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »
i went back to earthbound a year or so ago and was surprised at how difficult it was. i don't remember having to grind as much when i was playing it as a kid :lol

The intro is kinda rough. The difficulty evens out around Threed I think.
fat

Himu

« Reply #33507 on: September 19, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
???

dafuq

I never played Earthbound but Undertale is glorious. How far are you? I thought it was really amazing, since I had no knowledge of the game besides the name really  :lol.

I did read beforehand the game is much better if you go the pacifist route, so that's what I did. I just talked to everyone. Man what a glorious game.

Made it to the first town.

The dungeon with the skeletons and the puzzles was kind of embarrassing. I'm not going to have to keep doing bad puzzles am I? The dungeon design seems to be "going from point A to point B". It's good that resources are limited. I haven't killed an enemy so far. I liked that it kept track that I restarted the game after killing the giant Furry at the beginning when I didn't want to after looking up the solution online.

I've gone pacifist route.

So far it just feels fan made game and not a professional product.

MMarasu, play Earthbound. Still good.

Undertale

::)

Because Earthbound was a shmup.

Anyhow opening for Undertale sucks until you get to Sans. Did you get to Sans?

Yeah I met Sans and his incredibly incompetent brother and got tired of how dumb he was and the "puzzles".
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33508 on: September 19, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »

There's this mountain dungeon that's a challenge at first. It's the worst part of the game. Then it's smooth sailing and the game never lets up.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33509 on: September 19, 2019, 05:08:42 PM »
Undertale had some interesting ideas with the 4th wall breaking and save scumming, and I liked the bullet hell combat that changes based on your enemy, and also excellent music (the lava dungeon especially)... the game's characterization and dialogue just felt wayyy too hard to tug at your heartstrings or be memeable, that it became overbearing. The rabid fanbase made that even more obnoxious too.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33510 on: September 19, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »
Ive said this before and Ill say it again, every series has a rabid fanbase. Just avoid all contact with crazy fanbases.

Except maybe Trekkies, those are cool.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33511 on: September 19, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
Also Cindi I really can't remember many actual 'puzzles' in Undertale but I could be mistaken.

It's more like an awesome little rpg adventure. And with the music..man the music is dope!
What

Himu

« Reply #33512 on: September 19, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Okay Undertale gets good during the first town and the battle(s) with Papyrus. I went on a date with him. What the fuck.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33513 on: September 19, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
yeah once you hit that first town it starts to pick up and also the music!

that papyrus guys seems like a lovable idiot sorta guy

i didnt even really care fot that sans dude all that much myself
What

Himu

« Reply #33514 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:53 PM »
Past Undyne.

It’s a solid game. While the battle system is unique though, as someone playing a level 1 no kill run I don’t find it fun. :yeshrug It’s gimmicky. It relies far too much on knowledge. While enemies require knowledge in many single player games usually you can win if you’re careful. In Undertale each enemy uses a unique attack pattern so it’s almost impossible to beat a boss on a first try. Which means you have to learn their entire attack pattern. Moreover, the battles just go on and on and on until you find the gimmick.

So while I can admit it’s unique I also don’t find that it’s actually any good nor actual fun.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:41:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33515 on: September 19, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »
Why are you trying to do a lvl.1 no kill run on your first run  :mindblown
You sound like you're doing a Borys run. Of course it's going to be less fun.

Just play it normal.

Himu

« Reply #33516 on: September 19, 2019, 11:24:11 PM »
"Trying"? I'm just playing what feels natural. There's no goal here. I don't want to hurt anybody. If given the option I'll always try to do non-lethal manners of play. I thought the game was offering these options because it means it'll allow you to play it any way you want it to. You mean you're not supposed to play it this way the first time? What's even playing "normal"? Seems I was right: Undertale is a knowledge game. I'm playing this blind.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33517 on: September 20, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »
Why are you trying to do a lvl.1 no kill run on your first run  :mindblown
You sound like you're doing a Borys run. Of course it's going to be less fun.

Just play it normal.

A no kill run is normal, you monster.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #33518 on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:12 AM »
idk, I just played normally and I killed a few guys. It happens?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33519 on: September 20, 2019, 02:55:14 AM »
In Earthbound you're just fucking around and what could a New Age Retro Hippie or a Clumsy Robot do when Tough Guy goes down in 1 hit. Instant murder of children that's what.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33520 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:49 AM »
idk, I just played normally and I killed a few guys. It happens?

Aww so u didnt even get the real ending? That sucks man :/.

But seriously cindi git gut because I dont remember dying to any bosses in undertale once except maybe one boss

Its not really a knowledge game afaik, I didnt have any going in and never looked anything up besides the no kill thing.

That part doesnt actually make the game harder though? The battles are very much the same either way I believe
What

Himu

« Reply #33521 on: September 21, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
Git gud? Lol the game isn’t hard. I’m criticizing the way the game mechanics are structured.

Take Undyne.

It introduces a new battle mechanic (green mode) and its half way through the game.

That’s knowledge.

Then it introduces a bullet you have no idea how to counteract without experimentation. The one that goes to one side and then to another.

Level 1? You’re gonna die a few times figuring things out because you simply lack the HP to survive and you might be down on resources.

Then you have to figure out the bosses every single pattern. Some patterns are hard to react to without knowledge. Bebpo compared it to a 2D shooter but 2D shooters teach you all of the ins and outs on level 1.

Ergo, Undertale is a game of knowledge. Not a game of skill. And an RPG based on knowledge is tedious as fuck. Most games teeter on the balance of being knowledge-based or skill-based. Soulsborne works out by balancing both. Undertale, with its unique enemy attack patterns and modes requires knowledge and it keeps introducing new elements more than halfway through the game despite being a 6 hour game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:59:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33522 on: September 21, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
lol what the hell. The game keeps introducing new mechanics and elements and it’s end game.

At least the game tells you what orange is for beforehand.

If you make a 6 hour game and you’re still introducing new elements by hour 5 you fucked up. Rather than have you go through crappy “puzzles” in the beginning they should have taught you Blue, green, orange out the gate and made the intro dungeon for learning that. Then build from there.

Poor game design. If Undertale designer made Mario, they would have had you go down a pipe on 7-1 rather than 1-1
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33523 on: September 21, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
Cindi, your posts on Undertale fucking trigger me.

So now introducing new fresh things all the way through a game is a bad thing  :doge :doge :doge :doge

I wish every game did that. This is why most people don't finish videogames! And why most games are front-loaded. Because after a certain point it's just repeating the same loop/mechanics over and over without anything new. Games that keep introducing stuff until the end are awesome.

Himu

« Reply #33524 on: September 21, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
I prefer games that force mastery.

Introduce all the elements at the front. Build up, make it more complex as it goes on. Making twists to those elements is how you keep things fresh. You get Cappy on the first level of Mario Odyssey. So the game has you master Cappy and platforming with him. Then you get to a level where YOU DON’T HAVE CAPPY. Which forces you to master the game without him. That’s the twist and how you keep things fresh.

A good game puts all its cards on the table right from the beginning and twists and pulls those elements to fit new situations.

Otherwise we’d be using the i-block in Tetris on level 10 rather than 1. Or Ikaruga introducing black bullets on level 5.

Basically, you can tell Undertale is a fan game.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33525 on: September 21, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »
After 90 hours I'm still playing CS2. The final dungeon is taking forever... at the end of the second sanctum and there's apparently 2 more?
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #33526 on: September 21, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
After 90 hours I'm still playing CS2. The final dungeon is taking forever... at the end of the second sanctum and there's apparently 2 more?

Yeah, CS is long as fuck! 350-400 hours between the 4 games to tell a story lol
And there's going to be a 3rd style game with MORE CS story as the 5th game and setting up for the next arcs coming next before we start over in new location.

HD was hard for falcom :(

Bebpo

« Reply #33527 on: September 22, 2019, 12:06:33 AM »
Beat Fight n' Rage on easy. Now I know there is such thing as a beat 'em up game that is waaaaaay too long. Like there's tons of content and the enemies, bosses, multiple characters, combat is good! And tons of branching stages and multiple endings. But if you're gonna have all that, focus on branching and multiple endings and keep each run at a normal length for a beat 'em up. This game just goes on and on and on and almost the entire back half is just fighting all the same enemies and bosses as mini-bosses/enemies over and over again without much knew.

Still a good game, but I'm so burnt out after finishing one run and trying the moves on the other 2 characters that I'm good.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #33528 on: September 22, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »
almost forgot how much i love ni no cunny

paprikastaude

« Reply #33529 on: September 22, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »
really didn't like the look (or anything) of the first game. second game had a shit story, but it could pull off the look properly and it was dumb fun gameplaywise.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33530 on: September 22, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »
First one had better story, second one had better gameplay

There's a translation for the DS version if you want to play that I guess

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4068/
fat

Himu

« Reply #33531 on: September 22, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
Beat Undertale.

Bad game.

Stick to VNs and comics for the love of God.

Might be the biggest evidence I’ve ever seen that a unique game doesn't make a good one. The people who have hyped it for years are clearly smoking some crack.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:57:59 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33532 on: September 22, 2019, 12:55:45 PM »
Celeste, however, is an actual good game.

I want to play more of it but the switch has a dog shit dpad. You have eight way movement and the switch has buttons as a dpad. NO. The analog stick is a substitute but it will never be as precise as a dpad.

I really want that goddamn SNES Switch. Why Nintendo under printed that goddamn controller I don’t know.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #33533 on: September 22, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
or just buy such games on a better platform  :doge

Himu

« Reply #33534 on: September 22, 2019, 01:21:11 PM »
Or maybe shut the fuck up.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #33535 on: September 22, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
First one had better story, second one had better gameplay

There's a translation for the DS version if you want to play that I guess

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4068/

Thought I remembered there being a ridiculous physical book needed to play this and wasn't disappointed by the massive PDF included with that patch.

I got about 80% of the way through completion on this game on the PS3 before my phat 60 died so I won't be replaying it but wouldn't mind checking out the DS version.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33536 on: September 22, 2019, 09:20:53 PM »
I think both Ni No Kuni's are pretty meh to just bad games. They look great though, but Ni No Kuni 2 has a strange presentation. I don't know, Level 5 is just a meh developer.

Bebpo

« Reply #33537 on: September 23, 2019, 12:17:15 AM »
Little Misfortune - Finished this Fran Bow follow up light adventure game. ~2.5 hours. Nice little story and super fucked up and funny. Really good art and fun VA. The Engrish cursing was especially charming. Hope it helps them get a bit more funding to finish their cat game they were working on and then Fran Bow 2.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:01:09 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #33538 on: September 23, 2019, 02:55:20 AM »
Finished Sayonara Wild Hearts - I liked it but didn't love it. Gameplay is a bit too simple most of the time or trial & error for high scores. Some great highs for sure, one of the boss fights involving VR is really cool and the music and visuals are pretty great.

But in the end, it still felt like a mostly mobile experience, fairly shallow popcorn entertainment for a couple hours meant for short bursts, aka not my thing. It's definitely worth a play, but I'll stick to Rez and Sin & Punishment.

Svejk

« Reply #33539 on: September 23, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
Been having a total blast with Arkham Knight.  Not sure why folks hated on the Batmobile parts, but I'm enjoying them just as much as the Battie parts.  (It's Sega CD Batman Returns driving mixed with PS1 Ghost in the Shell!)  I don't see it being forced upon you anymore than his other tools in order to progress the game.  Playing this, I feel like my 11 year old self again!  :preach  :aweshum