Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558185 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34020 on: December 30, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »
The game is no different than it was then, yes
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34021 on: December 31, 2019, 05:54:47 AM »
Did you really not play AC2 and just start with Odyssey? O_o

Either way, Odyssey and Origins are better than what came before in most ways. Except the games were a much more linear story you could get through without messing with the side content.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34022 on: December 31, 2019, 07:02:15 AM »
AC2 was the best AC game for a long time and a great game in general.

I stopped there once I found out it hadn't changed much with sequels. Dipped my toes in AC3 once which was horrible in comparison.
Jumped back in with Odyssey and was pleasantly surprised how much lessons they took from the likes of Witcher 3.

Like all Ubisoft games though, they get repetitive and you need to change it up with some other games in between.
Luckily Odyssey has a pretty good story, so it's interesting enough to play from time to time.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #34023 on: December 31, 2019, 07:28:59 AM »

I stopped there once I found out it hadn't changed much with sequels. Dipped my toes in AC3 once which was horrible in comparison.
Jumped back in with Odyssey and was pleasantly surprised how much lessons they took from the likes of Witcher 3.

Like all Ubisoft games though, they get repetitive and you need to change it up with some other games in between.
Luckily Odyssey has a pretty good story, so it's interesting enough to play from time to time.
This was my exact same scenario.  AC3 left such a bad taste, I dropped the series completely... But Odyssey looked to be changed up enough to draw me back in.  Even though Witcher 3 still annihilates it, they did a pretty good job with it and revitalized my interest in the series again... we'll see how long that lasts.  :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34024 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »

As others said in the resetera Witcher 3 is very influential thread..

Did Ubisoft really get influenced by TW3 or is it just they saw the best way to get engagement in a title if you turn it into an RPG with colour based loot, and a huge world of activities to take part in?

Because aside from the fact that TW3 is an actual RPG, whereas Odyssey and Origins are just action oriented games with some slight RPG mechanics such as leveling up and loot, this does not make it similar to TW3 in any regard imo.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34025 on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
Oops, I forgot there were 20 AC games before :lol You are right of course; I started with Odyssey heh... I think AC4: Black Flag kind of was the precusor to Origins, no? Did not play AC1 but did it have: Forts, Animal Lairs and bush stealth?

No, it didn't - every release since the first added on a new mechanic, but the core gamplay was still the same open world checkbox simulator. I kept with it until about Black Flag then I tapped out. Came back for Origins because OMG dude its different, it's like an RPG!

Sike, more checkboxes for you to do
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34026 on: December 31, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »
Oops, I forgot there were 20 AC games before :lol You are right of course; I started with Odyssey heh... I think AC4: Black Flag kind of was the precusor to Origins, no? Did not play AC1 but did it have: Forts, Animal Lairs and bush stealth?

No, it didn't - every release since the first added on a new mechanic, but the core gamplay was still the same open world checkbox simulator. I kept with it until about Black Flag then I tapped out. Came back for Origins because OMG dude its different, it's like an RPG!

Sike, more checkboxes for you to do
Side activities in an open world game!  :stop
GTA and Mass Effect are basically the same game, by this logic.  :lol

AC1 is quite different from all the others, AC 2 introduced the GTA style game design of taking (mostly scripted) missions.
Then with Unity and Syndicate they introduced the black box concept for main assassinations (in Syndicate in particular, they even had elements like Hitman, with opportunities).
Origins and Odyssey especially, changed the combat to hitbox based combat, and basically applied that base concept to what they do in Witcher 3, with rpg progression shit, dialogue choices and branches for quests as well as loot.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:02:31 PM by Don Rumata »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34027 on: December 31, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
ubi games have all kinda become the same game now, not just AC games. much more than how other open world games can be similar to each other.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34028 on: December 31, 2019, 02:00:38 PM »
Ubisoft removed towers from the one game they make, such innovation. :lawd
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34029 on: December 31, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Infinifactory turned into work, so I've moved on to Opus Magnum :doge

Rman

« Reply #34030 on: December 31, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
Almost done with Sekiro. Definitely my game of the year.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34031 on: January 01, 2020, 06:58:11 AM »
Open world is trash. Real level design >>>> empty space with fetchquests and repeating design patterns. Thankfully the former is finally having a comeback in the AA/AAA space with Capcom, FROM, idSoftware, etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:08:52 AM by Spieler1 »

Chooky

« Reply #34032 on: January 01, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »
i remember back in the day before open world when games had no repetitive content, copy and paste design, time wasting activities like grinding or backtracking, or filler content

great times

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34033 on: January 01, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
Spent my staycation playing a whole lotta Cold Steel 3 and Mario Maker 2.

Just started the chapter 3 field study in CS3, and am extremely impressed with the game so far. It's probably the best of the CS series. The pacing seems to be a bit better than CS1, while the difficulty level doesn't seem to be as frustrating as CS2. The graphics look a bit more polished but I notice quite a bit of slowdown. Music isn't as memorable as CS2, my big complaint. Also the whole second chapter I felt I missed out on a lot because I'm still waiting for official releases of the Crossbell saga. The new cast is good (I like Ash and some of the NPCs) except for Musse, who never shuts up about wanting to jump on Rean's dick. It was funny the first time, groan-inducing the 237th. The command orders in battle is a nice addition to the battle system.

Mario Maker 2, been doing the single player. I completed the castle but still have about 30+ levels to play through. Each of the levels seems super gimmicky and not as interesting as the levels in a traditional 2D Mario, but I get what they were going for (mainly to show off the new features of the editor).

Also started playing Yu-No, which I'll probably go through after CS3. Playing with the original FM soundtrack, of course (though I wish there was also the option to play with the original PC-98 artwork as well).
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34034 on: January 01, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
i remember back in the day before open world when games had no repetitive content, copy and paste design, time wasting activities like grinding or backtracking, or filler content

great times

Yeah but back then the average length of the games was much shorter. A few hours of grinding/backtracking/asset repetition in a 20 hour game isn't nearly as egregious as 40 hours of the same in a 100 hour open world title.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #34035 on: January 01, 2020, 02:03:11 PM »
Oh shit there were were bad games in the past? :derp
Compared to other genres, blandness has become the expected default for modern open worlds. Developers keep trying to beat each other's map size as a selling point, before anyone ever made enough interesting content to fill even a smaller one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:19:20 PM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34036 on: January 01, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
I don't like thing, it must mean it's bad!  :brain :brain :brain

Svejk

« Reply #34037 on: January 01, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »
I agree on enemy scaling. Hate that shit. It seems like such a cop out of game progression.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34038 on: January 01, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »
Backtracking is just so rarely done well.

Bebpo

« Reply #34039 on: January 01, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »

great times

You mean you remember when open world games were giant sandboxes with almost nothing to do actually do in them?

I agree a lot of open world games have gone overboard in filling the map, but man a lot of those early ones like AC1 or even GTA4 were rough and boring. There's definitely a healthy good middle ground in making use of the map you built through gameplay missions/activities/collectibles without going overboard. I'm really liking what Death Stranding is doing in terms of making use all most of the terrain they've built without feeling overboard ubisoft.

Bebpo

« Reply #34040 on: January 01, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
I agree on enemy scaling. Hate that shit. It seems like such a cop out of game progression.

Scaling sucks, but I needed it on in AC Origins because otherwise if you're doing lots of side stuff you're like a billion levels over everyone and they die in one hit and there's zero challenge at all and it's just not fun.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34041 on: January 02, 2020, 06:10:01 AM »
Neither man, if you dont like the sailing dont even bother with black flag (personally I like Black Flag). The other games are pure garbage. 3 is horribly dull and what a boring story and main character. Unity is also just mediocre.

Just get AC2+ brotherhood for a nickle. Shit Id even buy for you instead of you playing any of those 3 garbo games and waste your time.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34042 on: January 02, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
Did you really not play AC2 and just start with Odyssey? O_o

Yes. Odyssey was my first AC game (platinum, ~150 hours), then Origins (78 hours so far, working on the platinum).

I logged in to UPlay just now (remember that store front? haha) and I have the following AC games because Ubi gave them away sometime ago:

(Image removed from quote.)

Which one would you guys recommend to play next? Note that I *hated* the sailing parts in Odyssey/ Origins.
Play Unity to climb the Notre Dame. Then quit.

Although overall that is a very pretty looking game. When Ubisoft made it they sorta overestimated what the PS4 and Xbox One could do.
AC3 is just poor overall. A step down from AC2 in pretty much every way. I believe 'Brotherhood' was decent and Black Flag too but it focuses a lot on the sailing.

Not sure if any of those three are worth it but I'd say give Unity a try.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34043 on: January 02, 2020, 07:05:37 AM »
Unity was the one that was so broken, they cancelled the Season Pass.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34044 on: January 02, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
It sells a lot.

People like garbage news at 11
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34045 on: January 02, 2020, 08:41:41 AM »
I mean I like Bayek, but besides Revenge and loving his wife, what exactly is this arc you speak of?
What

Chooky

« Reply #34046 on: January 02, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
bayek and aya were the best main characters since ezio. i hope they somehow find a way to bring them back in another title.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34047 on: January 02, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
I mean I like Bayek, Edward from Black Flag and Ezio. But I feel like even the dude from the first game had more of a actual reason to go after these templars.

Ezio.. hmm yes. But besides revenge isnt that all the motivation most of these characters have? They are all very very shallow.

They killed my X I shall avenge them/him/her!

Wow what a great character
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34048 on: January 02, 2020, 09:14:59 AM »
Play the Ezio trilogy. Best parts of the entire series before it went plummeting downhill
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34049 on: January 02, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
And it has Jesper Kyd doing the soundtrack, especially for 2 and brotherhood they are great. Revelations was a bit meh tho
What

Svejk

« Reply #34050 on: January 02, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Sekiro is the shit.  I wish I jumped on this at launch.  Tenchusouls   :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34051 on: January 02, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
Been playing Control (PS4)- it has been pretty enjoyable, for the most part, especially after patches have made it run better compared to launch and added an option to turn off the ridiculous motion-blur. 

Also played a shitload of Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate over the past two weeks, but took a break the last few days.  Played a bit of Samurai Shodown and then finally jumped back into SFV- been months since I've played it.  The CE changes feel great!
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34052 on: January 02, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »
All hail pork
What

Rman

« Reply #34053 on: January 02, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »
Started RE2 Remake. Wow! Capcom ain't playing! I got it on sale for under 20 bucks on the Xbox Marketplace.  Just a few minutes in and the atmosphere is fantastic. 

The last RE game I played was RE5. It was fun, but it was way more action-focused. It's nice to play a classic RE with modern sensibilities.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:05:13 PM by Rman »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #34054 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »
Crash Team Racing 2019. This game is hard. I knew that from the reviews, but man they demand a lot out of you. The races themselves are tough and yet now that I'm in the 2nd world I actually won the first two races there on my first try while failing like 4 times at the 3rd race (and calling it for the day). The CTR challenges aren't all that much tougher as it's mainly about doing one run where you figure out the location of the 3 letters. Sometimes this can be be really confusing though and you will likely be looking up how in the world you are supposed to reach said letter. Then there are the relics crate races which are the time trials. By far the most hardest challenge I've seen so far.

Unlike Mario Kart 8 you can actually win while being last place going into the final lap which is good. I found it nearly impossible to move up 3 places per lap in MK8 on the hardest difficulty. It's still a harder game though even with that being the ability to make a huge comeback. And I like the comeback aspect of it as it's lame in MK8 on high difficulties that you have no chance of stealing a race if you are in the back going into the final lap. Couldn't tell you a single tune from the 8 tracks or so that I've been able to play. MK8 on the other hand had an immensely strong OST.

I'm talking about the Adventure Mode here in case anyone is wondering. Don't remember if there was a difficulty option at the start, but I went with normal.

It's been an interesting case of remembering I loved the PS1 game and yet I don't remember anything from that old game. So everything here is essentially new except my feelings from the past that told me "you liked this decades ago" lol.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34055 on: January 03, 2020, 05:05:51 AM »
 :lol
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34056 on: January 03, 2020, 05:31:44 PM »

Kind of proud of this one, even though it's nothing special in any of the metrics. Symmetry just does it for me.

The way I'm doing things - few pieces, many instructions per piece - is starting to hamper me, but if I did the inverse, I'd have timing issues instead. :thinking

paprikastaude

« Reply #34057 on: January 03, 2020, 11:25:36 PM »
Dissidia 012 - Kain was fun to play, Tifa not as much. I know this is a fighting game first, but I still wish they had a bit more variety in story mode battles. No idea why they repeat old tutorials at some key story points, but then again, the UI and all the terminology is laughably convoluted for no reason.

Secret of Monkey Island - usually not a fan of this genre, which is why I didn't play most classics. The first chapter has been pretty fair in its difficulty (still had to use the in-game guide one time). Holy fuck, these remastered graphics are a bigger rape than SNES Final Fantasy on mobile/Steam though. At least you can switch back, even though they aren't exactly promoting that option very clearly.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34058 on: January 04, 2020, 09:11:28 AM »
The remaster of Monkey Island 2 looks so much better than the remaster of the first game.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34059 on: January 04, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
and mi3 looks better than all of them and is also the best one
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34060 on: January 04, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »
I really want Monkey Island 3 with high resolution remasters of the original assets.
dog

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #34061 on: January 05, 2020, 04:21:21 AM »
Finished both paths of Witcher 2 (X360) last night. Awesome game. Had a save backed up before the major decision so I didn’t have to redo chapter 1. Whole thing felt very RE2-esque in the sense that you play the same game from different perspectives with unique story beats. You definitely did NOT beat the game if you just did one path. I’d say each path is about 60% unique which is pretty sizable. I would say I preferred Iorveth’s path compared to Roche’s. Far more interesting characters, and feels like rooting for the little guy is what Geralt would do. Roche’s wasn’t bad by any stretch though. Still lots of fun to be had.

I ended up doing Roche first with choosing to kill everyone that can be killed, and then did Iorveth second while sparing everyone since that’s the world state I’d rather have in Witcher 3.

Speaking of which, I did end up firing that up for a bit on PS4 Pro. Graphics are an insane jump, god damn. Only did the tutorial up to riding into the inn before calling it a night. UI and combat seem to be a big improvement so far. I chose to simulate my save from 2, but I didn’t see any questions or dialog options pertaining to that yet. Hopefully it’s coming. Pretty excited to dive in, but also mortified at being burnt out on a 200 hour fucking game.
Margs

Svejk

« Reply #34062 on: January 05, 2020, 05:10:13 AM »
There's a MI3?!?  I need to get out from under this rock. Wth

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34063 on: January 05, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »
I really want Monkey Island 3 with high resolution remasters of the original assets.

Same.. but the original is still quite striking imo. Too bad it's not widescreen but eh

There's a MI3?!?  I need to get out from under this rock. Wth

Well yes it's called Curse of Monkey Island

https://store.steampowered.com/app/730820/The_Curse_of_Monkey_Island/

This is the first one I played, so I have a certain love for it. One of the funniest games ever and also a great adventure game.

What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34064 on: January 05, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
AC: Origins

60 hours in.
60% of map done (defogged).
Reached max level (40).

That's some bad gameplay balance, Ubisoft :tsk :tsk

You're a mutant, Borys. Ubi could not predict your focus and devotion.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34065 on: January 05, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
Finished Death Stranding and started AI Somnium Files - feels good to have comprehensible writing again. :doge It seems to have classic detective VN vibes. It's a pleasant suprise to have actual adult characters in this, too bad the Fire Emblem art direction makes them look like 17 anyway  ::) Much worse though, apparently some idol character is a permanent sidekick :stahp
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:19:15 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #34066 on: January 05, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
Borys, where does the FF quest start in Origins? I somehow missed it when I played (is it exclusive to a system?). Gonna go back to Origins this year to play the 2 DLC expansions, wouldn't mind doing the FF quest when I do.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34067 on: January 05, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
Ace Combat 7 mission 15

I'm fully prepared for WW3.  8)
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #34068 on: January 05, 2020, 10:22:06 PM »
damn Somnium Files started out like Ace Attorney but this shit is getting real now :whew The dialogue seems way better than in some prior Zero Escape games (even though this clearly doesn't top the first two games overall), I wonder how much the localisation has to do with it. Humour is good too, except for some weird action comedy scenes that feel completely out of place.

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #34069 on: January 05, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »
Monster Hunter: World.

I never played a MH before because I expected it to be a grind. But this is an awesome game. I wish there were more monsters and more locations, but that's because what there is, is near perfect. Coral Highlands is fun just to walk around and look at.

The grind wasn't as bad as I expected, although I made it much worse on myself. The main thing I wanted was a full Legiana set and bow, so I had to repeat Legiana missions over and over, each time climbing up endless walls. Only later I found out you can shoot your grappling hook at certain glowing spots to fly up the walls instead, which would have made it 100x more fun.

Just beat a Lunastra/Teostra combo mission, thankfully the Legiana bow is the optimal weapon for that as they are both weak to ice. The hardest monsters for me have been Nergigante and Rathalos. Nergigante is just brutal, probably killed me more than every other monster combined. Yet it is also one of the most fun fights. Rathalos can actually be harder than elder dragons because it is more aggressive and mobile than most and will combo you where most monsters let you heal.

Svejk

« Reply #34070 on: January 05, 2020, 11:50:59 PM »
I've been wanting to go back to MHW.  Especially after falling down a rabbit hole of watching a shit ton of SunhiLegend gifs. 

RyoonZ

« Reply #34071 on: January 06, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
Playing SaGa Scarlet Grace, this game is kicking my ass. Every enemy encounter is hard.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34072 on: January 06, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
I'm almost done with the single player mode in Mario Maker 2, have about 2 or 3 more courses to complete.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #34073 on: January 06, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34074 on: January 06, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #34075 on: January 06, 2020, 08:39:23 PM »
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201911/08186514.html
A shocking confession from Uchikoshi-san about how she was created: "I generally like panties, but I came to notice that 70-80% of men like titties. That's how I decided that there had to be a titty character in the game." She is a new generation of character created through a miraculous collaboration of panty-liking Uchikoshi-san and the titty lovers of the world.

"After saying 'titties' over and over, I became a titty lover too (laughs)." (Uchikoshi-san)

:idont

Chooky

« Reply #34076 on: January 06, 2020, 08:46:30 PM »
video games are art

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #34077 on: January 06, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
Just started The Long Dark.

I love the idea of survival games, but the execution is usually way too finicky for my tastes.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #34078 on: January 07, 2020, 01:29:04 AM »
Not sure if we have a dedicated top10 of 2019 thread, only see the 10 of the decade and the worst 10 of 2019 threads. Here's my top 10 of 2019.

1. Death Stranding
2. Control
3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
4. FFXIV Shadowbringers
5. RE2 Remake
6. A Short Hike
7. Monster Hunter Iceborne
8. Fire Emblem 3 Houses
9. Little Misfortune
10. Kingdom Hearts 3

Pre-2019 top games that I beat this year and would've made this year's list (best to worst):
Hollow Knight (maybe best game I played in 2019)
Astrobot VR (definitely top5 game for 2019)
World of FF
House in Fata Morgana Gaiden
Streets of Rage 2
11-11 Memories Untold
Unavowed
AC Origins

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34079 on: January 07, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »
Beat the main game Witcher 3

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vessimir :fbm
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is some glitchy crashy shite how many bethsoft employess moonlight at CDPR :lol
[close]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:13:36 AM by D3RANG3D »