Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559003 times)

eleuin

• perennial loser
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34140 on: January 18, 2020, 01:38:04 AM »
I think I'm starting to get into a groove with Baldur's Gate:EE some.  Some of the interface is tedious, but also there's some weird gameplay things that are questionable.  Like for example, the inventory management is a chore when gathering potions and trying to distribute them among your peeps.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, I just end up passing the whole lot off to each character to use.  Is there a way to divide them up amongst everyone?  (Granted, I'm playing on Android).  I Just finished clearing the mine with the tainted ore.   Wanted to play through this before BG2, and even Siege of Dragonspear too.

Did you ever figure it out? I've played it for a bit recently on PC, there it's double clicking the item to choose the amount selected.

Got up to chapter 4. Not sure if I fell off out of boredom or fatigue from playing in such a short span a few weeks ago. The lack of dialogue even with the well written mod doesn't really bother me, I did play through all of Dragon Age Inqusition without knowing a glitch prevented my party from ever speaking. The dream sequences are the best parts of the story so far, but I guess the overall goose chase still doesn't feel very compelling. Game holds up well though, besides some cubersome party pathing resulting in members blocking entrances.

Coax

« Reply #34141 on: January 18, 2020, 05:31:47 AM »
Bought one of those official dual charging docks for the Dualshock 4. Ironically I'm not that impressed with its docking action (can't get the controller seated correctly first try any time I've tried) or the extra brick of an adapter it includes but did like its cardboard packaging which is secured with just folds and friction and comes apart with no annoying paper latch side wings and can be put back together without issue.

Edit: fark. Wrong topic. Did hate-play more of The Messenger's DLC. The totem boss is some BS. Was up to a shadow version of the protagonist that you have to race multiple times and I get almost to the end but no dice so I've left it completely.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:38:25 AM by Coax »

Svejk

« Reply #34142 on: January 18, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
I think I'm starting to get into a groove with Baldur's Gate:EE some.  Some of the interface is tedious, but also there's some weird gameplay things that are questionable.  Like for example, the inventory management is a chore when gathering potions and trying to distribute them among your peeps.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, I just end up passing the whole lot off to each character to use.  Is there a way to divide them up amongst everyone?  (Granted, I'm playing on Android).  I Just finished clearing the mine with the tainted ore.   Wanted to play through this before BG2, and even Siege of Dragonspear too.

Did you ever figure it out? I've played it for a bit recently on PC, there it's double clicking the item to choose the amount selected.

(Image removed from quote.)

Got up to chapter 4. Not sure if I fell off out of boredom or fatigue from playing in such a short span a few weeks ago. The lack of dialogue even with the well written mod doesn't really bother me, I did play through all of Dragon Age Inqusition without knowing a glitch prevented my party from ever speaking. The dream sequences are the best parts of the story so far, but I guess the overall goose chase still doesn't feel very compelling. Game holds up well though, besides some cubersome party pathing resulting in members blocking entrances.

Ah ok.. duh, I didn't think about trying a double click (or tap.. using a stylus). Got so use to long presses.  Thanks!
The pacing is a bit strange.  I guess after certain chapters turned, all sorts of my side quests disappeared, which is unfortunate, because I feel more equipped for them now.  But yeah, the dream sequences get kind deep and give me some Tolkien vibes.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34143 on: January 18, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »
Children of Morta, cause it just popped up on Game Pass. Run-based isometric action. 9-classes to chose from, gradually unlocked as your family settles in to their ancestral duty as guardians. It takes a bit to expand your capabilities, but I'm happy with the pace. Unless you faceplant right out the gate, you'll always come back with enough money for an upgrade, or you find a quest item. And even if you don't, you'll at least get to see some family interactions and maybe even get access to another character.

Bebpo

« Reply #34144 on: January 18, 2020, 01:33:32 PM »

Ah ok.. duh, I didn't think about trying a double click (or tap.. using a stylus). Got so use to long presses.  Thanks!
The pacing is a bit strange.  I guess after certain chapters turned, all sorts of my side quests disappeared, which is unfortunate, because I feel more equipped for them now.  But yeah, the dream sequences get kind deep and give me some Tolkien vibes.

If I remember right, they didn't disappear they just moved under a different tab of older chapters.

Svejk

« Reply #34145 on: January 18, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
If I remember right, they didn't disappear they just moved under a different tab of older chapters.
Oh shit... Ok,... So the embroidery around the Chapter # isn't just for decoration, but actual arrow select prompts.  Well I'll be.  Thanks y'all!  :)  Time to wrap up some side quests.

Freyj

« Reply #34146 on: January 18, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »
Children of Morta, cause it just popped up on Game Pass. Run-based isometric action. 9-classes to chose from, gradually unlocked as your family settles in to their ancestral duty as guardians. It takes a bit to expand your capabilities, but I'm happy with the pace. Unless you faceplant right out the gate, you'll always come back with enough money for an upgrade, or you find a quest item. And even if you don't, you'll at least get to see some family interactions and maybe even get access to another character.

Fell off this after a few hours due to the RNG nature of health regen. I didn’t feel like I was improving really which is the opposite experience you want to have for a 2019/2020 Roguelike.

Freyj

« Reply #34147 on: January 18, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
Luigi’s Mansion 3 becomes irritating as fuck the closer you get to the top of the hotel. The puzzles become less intuitive and more “try every tool in Luigi’s belt until one works”, the Polterkitty stuff is horseshit padding and the Boilerroom water stuff may be the worst controls in a game in decades.

Shame because the first 5-6 floors are fantastic. More of that less of this other shit. Game difficulty doesn’t always need to be an ever increasing slope or curve it can just plateau at some point. Lots of games not understanding this in the last 5 years.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34148 on: January 18, 2020, 05:37:08 PM »
Hellblade's finally getting more diverse gameplay-wise in the second half. The horror elements were really good. I wish puzzles and exploration weren't so vanilla. If they were harder, this might've been a true classic. Still, everything else has grown on me so much, particulary the atmosphere, this probably stil isl the only one of these cinema corridor games that I thoroughly enjoy. Like a good version of reboot God of War or that Naughty Dog cancer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:43:22 PM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #34149 on: January 18, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »
Hellblade's finally getting more diverse gameplay-wise in the second half. The horror elements were really. Still, I wish puzzles and exploration weren't so vanilla. If they were harder, this might've been a true classic. Still, everything else has grown on me so much, particulary the atmosphere, this probably stil isl the only one of these cinema corridor games that I thoroughly enjoy. Like a good version of reboot God of War or that Naughty Dog cancer.
Wearing headphones for this game was one of the best audible experiences in gaming.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34150 on: January 18, 2020, 10:28:55 PM »
Fell off this after a few hours due to the RNG nature of health regen. I didn’t feel like I was improving really which is the opposite experience you want to have for a 2019/2020 Roguelike.
Yeah, it can be tough. I don't particularly like having to break every pot in the area to find potions, but I'm having enough fun with the game that I can look past it.
It did make me gravitate toward the ranged characters though. Lucy being my clear favourite. With the exception of Kevin, all the melee characters just feel too vulnerable. Joey is slow as molasses and Mark (aka D3 Monk) lunges toward enemies, but has no real AoE. One small group of the weakest vermin can take a third of his HP, easily. Real big :brain character.

« Reply #34151 on: January 19, 2020, 05:12:04 AM »
Nioh was pretty disappointing, it wasn't bad but when I read some people say some hyperbolic stuff like it having one of the best combat system in an action game I thought it was gonna be a lot closer to NG than the Souls games. But it played pretty similar to your average Soulsborne game, could be because I picked the Odachi as my main weapon tbf. Also the level scaling is even more broken than Souls game, at least on the normal run, if you bothered doing the side quests by the time you get to the third map area the game ceases to have any challenge bar the occasional boss every now and then. It doesn't help that the games gives out whatever they call potion like candy.

It just ended up feeling like a budget Souls game. It was still enjoyable, but feel like an idiot for passing up on Sekiro when it was 40 bucks during black friday since I figured one Japanese inspired setting Souls game was gonna be enough for a while.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34152 on: January 19, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »
Assassins Creed Odyssey
At a very interesting part in the story now and I noticed that with story progression, the forts, bounty hunters and other side things get an increase in difficulty as well.

These sort of vistas look so good with HDR on my OLED  :lawd
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #34153 on: January 19, 2020, 10:39:27 AM »
Got to Chapter 4 in Baldur's Gate:EE.  Getting a better hang of things and understanding the UI a bit better.  One thing about these games that I don't (but should) fiddle with, is setting up your team mates AI scripting.  It could benefit in certain fights for sure, but not all of them... And I can't say I want 100% control either, as chaotic as it can get when all the fighting can be jumbled and concentrated in one spot. 

For like the 4th time now, this makes me want to give DA: Inquisition another try yet again.  I get into it, but quickly fall out of interest.  What's wrong with me?  Lol That has me wondering also, how come Bioware no longer had the D&D licensing when making DA?  I want to say I'd enjoy DA:I more if it were authentic D&D, but that's my 8 year old son speaking through me.  :P

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34154 on: January 19, 2020, 10:58:41 AM »
Started playing Dragon Quest 11 Echoes of an Elusive Age again, man what a good game. Im not even that far in, like 20 hours? I feel like the game just opened up after finishing Gondolia (where I quit playing). Now on a new system the game runs a lot better so I figured I pick it back up. Its still hard af due to the draconian options I picked, but I like that better than easily killing everything. Money is still real hard to come by though. But such nice graphics ^_^
What

Bebpo

« Reply #34155 on: January 19, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »
Assassins Creed Odyssey
At a very interesting part in the story now and I noticed that with story progression, the forts, bounty hunters and other side things get an increase in difficulty as well.

These sort of vistas look so good with HDR on my OLED  :lawd

AC Vistas always make me want to play them.

Bebpo

« Reply #34156 on: January 19, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
Started playing Dragon Quest 11 Echoes of an Elusive Age again, man what a good game. Im not even that far in, like 20 hours? I feel like the game just opened up after finishing Gondolia (where I quit playing). Now on a new system the game runs a lot better so I figured I pick it back up. Its still hard af due to the draconian options I picked, but I like that better than easily killing everything. Money is still real hard to come by though. But such nice graphics ^_^

I need to get back to this. Loved it too! Was like 30-40 hours in the PS4 version when backlogged it, but picked up the Switch version last fall and can even import my PS4 save into it, so I really have no reason not to get back and finish it.

Bebpo

« Reply #34157 on: January 19, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
Got to Chapter 4 in Baldur's Gate:EE.  Getting a better hang of things and understanding the UI a bit better.  One thing about these games that I don't (but should) fiddle with, is setting up your team mates AI scripting.  It could benefit in certain fights for sure, but not all of them... And I can't say I want 100% control either, as chaotic as it can get when all the fighting can be jumbled and concentrated in one spot. 

I pretty much just let them auto-battle on easy enemies and then nit-pick control every millisecond on tougher one. Don't think I messed with the AI scripting at all in BG1 EE.

Btw, which characters are you using? BG1 EE is such a weird ass game in that there's like a dozen+ characters and you probably end up using like 3. Also my biggest criticism with BG1 is the characters are all barely a step above a create a character. They have a few barks, maybe a couple bark interactions with other characters, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a questline? (don't think all of them do, and some the questline is just getting them and then they have nothing).

Looking forward to the cast being more actual characters in BG2.

Svejk

« Reply #34158 on: January 19, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »

I pretty much just let them auto-battle on easy enemies and then nit-pick control every millisecond on tougher one. Don't think I messed with the AI scripting at all in BG1 EE.

Btw, which characters are you using? BG1 EE is such a weird ass game in that there's like a dozen+ characters and you probably end up using like 3. Also my biggest criticism with BG1 is the characters are all barely a step above a create a character. They have a few barks, maybe a couple bark interactions with other characters, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a questline? (don't think all of them do, and some the questline is just getting them and then they have nothing).

My main is a Human Ranger.  Otherwise, I still have
Imoen (Human Thief), Jaheira (Half Elf Druid), Khalid (Half Elf Fighter), Xan (Elf Enchanter) and Viconia (Elf Cleric). 

Another thing that finally clicked, was using abilities.. first you have to write/memorize them, then you have to rest before using them... Such a different way than I'm use to; the simple, gain abilities when you level up, and MP, and Mana to restore it. I still need to get use to it, but I think I'm coming around.

Bebpo

« Reply #34159 on: January 19, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
Finally sitting down and making story progress in RDR2. This game is pretty good, but how is dominoes anything but luck??

Bebpo

« Reply #34160 on: January 19, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »
Beat Binary Domain - This was a great action game. Really enjoyed a lot of the combat pieces and most of the bosses (fuck that Gorilla though), the cutscenes and the characters. Some jank and died a handful of times but figured out what the game wanted me to do and it was fine. Glad I played it and I'd definitely play a sequel.

Also Dan kinda looks like a Bionic Commando.

bluemax

« Reply #34161 on: January 19, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »

I put in 113 hours and ended up 1 trophy shy of platinum. If you're not playing completionist though, it is probably 60-80 hours, but enjoyable overall!
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #34162 on: January 19, 2020, 11:54:06 PM »

My main is a Human Ranger.  Otherwise, I still have
Imoen (Human Thief), Jaheira (Half Elf Druid), Khalid (Half Elf Fighter), Xan (Elf Enchanter) and Viconia (Elf Cleric). 

Another thing that finally clicked, was using abilities.. first you have to write/memorize them, then you have to rest before using them... Such a different way than I'm use to; the simple, gain abilities when you level up, and MP, and Mana to restore it. I still need to get use to it, but I think I'm coming around.

Hmm, yeah I used Imeon/Jaheira/Khalid. They're kinda default team good from ch.1 which doesn't leave you much room for others. I used Dynaheir as my other mage (because magic is OP in D&D) and Minsc as my other melee because he seems like the fan favorite character of the series.

The spells system is fine. I don't love it, but its manageable.

Bebpo

« Reply #34163 on: January 20, 2020, 01:51:53 AM »
RDR2 - Got to Strawberry. Cool little town but wtf at this Micah in Jail main story mission that requires you to basically shoot up the town. I'm playing a LAWFUL GOOD CHARACTER and am friends with all the townspeople. This is lame that there's no non-violent option for this mission. RDR2 would do better to be a little bit more rpg than it already is and have more options for how you complete missions.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34164 on: January 20, 2020, 03:45:47 AM »
I disagree, let R* tell a story. Not every game needs to be a damn rpg

But yea.. not a great mission all in all Micah is a crazy dude
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34165 on: January 20, 2020, 09:14:59 AM »
Its funnier to be a dick in that game

Like.. I always thought the best thing about Arthur was his 'grey'ness. Like he does bad shit, but has good sides too.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #34166 on: January 20, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
You're not even playing RDR2 if you're trying to be lawful good

Nah, the game has this honor system and most of the time gives you non-violent choices to solve quests. Arthur Morgan definitely comes off more like an anti-hero, at least so far, if you play him that way.

So then having a mission where you have to murder an entire town of innocent people while breaking out Micah sure seems out of fucking character.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34167 on: January 20, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »
If you think its out of character, just keep playing. It'll all make sense.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34168 on: January 20, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
Pathologic 2 is pretty cool. I’m hoping that it’s not too difficult. The survival aspect is already pretty intimidating.
serge

Coffee Dog

« Reply #34169 on: January 20, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
You're not even playing RDR2 if you're trying to be lawful good

Nah, the game has this honor system and most of the time gives you non-violent choices to solve quests. Arthur Morgan definitely comes off more like an anti-hero, at least so far, if you play him that way.

So then having a mission where you have to murder an entire town of innocent people while breaking out Micah sure seems out of fucking character.

I really didn't think that was too much of a stretch given that it's already established that he doesn't give a fuck about mowing down lawmen or beating the shit out of debtors. Arthur is a much more defined character than I expected, but I felt the narrative was better for it.

Arthur is nowhere near a blank slate, he doesnt even have the moral vagueness of John's past in RDR1. His awfulness is exposed to the player firsthand. Arthur's role in this terrible gang is that of the muscle; he's not the person you send when you want to resolve things with subtlety. Arthur's a killer who kills at the behest of people who escalate situations needlessly, and that's the lot he's chosen in life.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:14:43 PM by Coffee Dog »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34170 on: January 20, 2020, 06:02:58 PM »
Pathologic 2 is pretty cool. I’m hoping that it’s not too difficult. The survival aspect is already pretty intimidating.

The devs added a lower difficulty option post-release because it was initially too hard.
dog

Coffee Dog

« Reply #34171 on: January 20, 2020, 08:27:34 PM »
Your position on the morality meter actually affects Arthur's dialogue a lot more than you'd think. When I replayed the game I was pretty pleasantly surprised at how organic it was all implemented.

Bebpo

« Reply #34172 on: January 21, 2020, 02:27:08 AM »
RDR2 - Yeah, some stuff is pretty hard/not fun to do with non-violent attempts. Game definitely favors just going with the story and killing people. Like I stole the oil wagon and tried to stealth it and drive away and was kinda annoying. Would've been more fun just to sneak into the oil place and kill some of the guards and take off.

So do all the stranger quests in this game just fucking suck? Because I swear the stranger quests in RDR1 and GTAV were like actual sidequests, but all these ones I've unlocked have just started collectathon quests. Go find perfect card sets, go find dinosaur bones, go find treasure maps, etc...

I feel like the main story quests/story is going good, but all the side stuff seems kinda so-so? The challenges are kinda fun but they're also kinda annoying because you have to do them in a specific order. I'm generally doing everything I can find because I do that in sandbox games and did basically 100% outside some small collectibles in RDR1 and GTAV, but not really impressed by the side stuff yet. The best bits have been just finding abandoned houses that have interesting notes or things in them.

The camp camaraderie stuff is really nice. They're doing a good job making the hideout camp feel like a family gang life sim.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34173 on: January 21, 2020, 04:09:09 AM »
Bepbo, you gotta stop with the "I have to do 100% for no reason" bullshit, it's what ruins open world games for many people.
I loved RDR2, and did exactly NONE of the collectibles missions (yes there are good side missions, just do the ones that sound interesting).
100% games is fucking stupid, unless you're genuinely having fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #34174 on: January 21, 2020, 04:19:50 AM »
I'm not doing the collectibles. i generally do everything outside those and just pick up the ones I run into.

Did a homestead robbery mission, seemed pretty lame.
also reeling in the fishing is annoying in this one.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34175 on: January 21, 2020, 04:58:50 AM »
There are a bunch of really great stranger missions, but yes there are also a bunch of collectathons which I never did. Fuck going around looking for dinosaur bones
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34176 on: January 21, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
stranger missions are both story stuff and some collectathon stuff. they give you the collection ones early so you can spend the rest of the game finding shit for them.

one of my favorite story focused stranger missions doesn't hit til near the end of the game, in the north-east corner of the map.

Freyj

« Reply #34177 on: January 21, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
Been in a rut of starting and stopping new games lately so figured I’d go back to Kiseki with Trails in the Sky the 3rd. Can’t overstate how much more enjoyable these games are with the customizable, separate turbo options for Field and Battle.

I know the chronology gets a little fuzzy post 3rd with Cold Steel 1 and 2 overlapping (?) Crossbell. For Bebpo or anyone else with a good knowledge of the series how much should I seek out the fan translations for Crossbell before starting Cold Steel?

Freyj

« Reply #34178 on: January 21, 2020, 11:22:26 AM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34179 on: January 21, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »
Been in a rut of starting and stopping new games lately so figured I’d go back to Kiseki with Trails in the Sky the 3rd. Can’t overstate how much more enjoyable these games are with the customizable, separate turbo options for Field and Battle.

I know the chronology gets a little fuzzy post 3rd with Cold Steel 1 and 2 overlapping (?) Crossbell. For Bebpo or anyone else with a good knowledge of the series how much should I seek out the fan translations for Crossbell before starting Cold Steel?

I haven't played the Crossbell games yet and am currently about 90 hours into CS3...

You can get through CS1 and about 90% of CS2 without issue, you will be completely lost in the second chapter of CS3 though.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34180 on: January 21, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #34181 on: January 21, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »

CS1&2 spoils some crossbell stuff
Crossbell spoils some of CS1&2

CS3/4 is the combined follow up to both Crossbell and Cold Steel.

Ideally the best time to play Crossbell is before CS1, second best time is before CS3. You can play it after CS but essentially the ending and some major plot beats are spoiled which kinda sucks since it's the best arc of the series so far and CS's arc is the worst.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34182 on: January 21, 2020, 02:54:12 PM »
You are overthinking this series to worry about timeline. Just treat each entry as their own series. I played Cold steel 1 & 2 and gave no fuck what happens in Crossbell.

Far as I care that was resolved when I played Trails Sky 1 & 2.
fat

Freyj

« Reply #34183 on: January 21, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
I mean I’m gonna play it all eventually anyhow. The series seems fairly rooted in each arc being a particular couple of months and a particular nation state so I figured it was all building in some way.

My main problem is that while Zero will have the Geofront translation before I’m ready to play it, Azure won’t.

Bebpo

« Reply #34184 on: January 21, 2020, 07:48:44 PM »
I mean I’m gonna play it all eventually anyhow. The series seems fairly rooted in each arc being a particular couple of months and a particular nation state so I figured it was all building in some way.

My main problem is that while Zero will have the Geofront translation before I’m ready to play it, Azure won’t.

Even with a shitty translation I'd recommend Zero/Ao. They really are the best and most exciting of the series. Demi will see eventually.

Bebpo

« Reply #34185 on: January 21, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
Oh before I forget, when I was playing Binary Domain, I kept thinking how it's essentially one of the best Terminator games. Imagine if they could get the license like how they got Fist of the North Star. Would be perfect.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34186 on: January 21, 2020, 10:58:09 PM »
Just made it to Chapter 4 in CS3... think this may even take the place of DQXI as being my favorite RPG of the current gen. The revelation at the end of chapter 3 had me going HOLY FUCK. And I like that the difficulty is a bit easier in this one than CS2, though some battles can still be long and grueling affairs.

I get so hyped whenever I get into a mech battle, love the music, those 90s trance supersaws  8)

^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #34187 on: January 22, 2020, 12:36:16 AM »
rdr2 I've been killing lots of birds to get feathers to craft small game arrows because that's what the in-game hint says under the 3 perfect rabbit skin challenge and been frustrated that even a dead eye vital organ headshot with small game arrow doesn't kill them and I can't get one damn perfect pelt

...only to google it after a couple of days to find out I'm just supposed to be shooting them with a varmint rifle from the gun shop  :-\

anyhow, feel like I'm getting to the end of ch.2. Maybe just a mission or two left. Got the normal dead eye from the train mission yay.

bluemax

« Reply #34188 on: January 22, 2020, 12:49:24 AM »
I found my copy of DQIX while rearranging my apartment last month. I've dropped like 30 hours in and barely progressed the story because I spend too much time leveling jobs and doing alchemy. I actually nuked my previous save file which was like 70 hours in and I have no idea how far into the game.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #34189 on: January 22, 2020, 04:06:36 AM »
RDR2 - So because RDR2 is essentially "scripted path the game" it's pretty frustrating when the context sensitive stuff glitches in story missions which I'm noticing happening a bit here and there. Especially since there's no easy "restart from checkpoint" button and these missions can be kind of long and don't save at checkpoints which sucks on PC where there are crashes.

My experience on the last mission of Ch.2:

-Go do scripted walk leading horse with John, talk talk
-Buy sniper rifle
-Go do scripted ride out
-Go herd the straggle sheep
-Go herd the sheep flock back to valentine
-cutscene
-Go do scripted walk to saloon
-cutscene
-Shootout
-Game crashes during shootout

-Reload at start of that mission, have to do all the scripted walking and herding and everything again
-Shootout again but no crashing
-Have to take professor guy from cart to my horse
-take him to my horse but the context button to put him on my horse won't appear no matter what
-all enemies are dead so no way to die and can't get him on the horse
-eventually figure out if I just run away with him on my back far enough it gives me a game over and lets me reload checkpoint

-reload checkpoint at the part where you take the professor, this time context button is there and I can put him on my horse
-finish mission like 90 mins after starting it  :doge

Then on the next mission where you have to find a new base you get to this abandoned camp where the german woman and kids are under the wagon and there's supposed to be a context sensitive button to search crates.
-but didn't appear on my first try, so walking in circles around the wagon trying to have something happen
-can't figure it out so shoot at the crates and it gives me a game over and retry from checkpoint

-next time button to search crates is there and can finish mission  :doge

I normally don't run into glitches every mission like that. But I've definitely seen glitches every couple missions here and there and in a game that's so scripted it's not good. If the game was built to be more open ended there'd probably be ways around this but when the game is like press 1 -> 2 - > 3 the mission then if "2" doesn't script perfect you get stuck.

Oh well, got to Rhodes. South is pretty nice looking. Rowing the boat was a bit slow and boring.

RyoonZ

« Reply #34190 on: January 22, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
I didn't expect Odyssey to be this good. I wasn't a fan of RPG elements in Origins and Bayek was boring an dull. I still don't quite like the overall gameplay loop but the storyline is great, it was very cohesive and the characters get development unlike in the past where they just came out of nowhere and you're told to kill them. I was also quite hesitant when they announced character select and fear for girlpower all men are trash character but I was wrong, Kassandra is amazing. She tops even Ezio for me.

This game is huge and beautiful. I hope they make one sets in China for next gen. Yeah I know there are already 2D sidescrolling one but I want full fledged title that I can explore, just thinking about makes me moist.

Svejk

« Reply #34191 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
I always thought AC2 was going in that direction; having a near future/present timeline, and was so stoked for that..... Never happened. Total tease... Then they stuck it in and broke it off with AC3.

Bebpo

« Reply #34192 on: January 22, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
For AC, I'd take non-Japan Asia or other countries in later periods of Europe.

Japan is sorta overplayed in game environments...but it's also true there's really no large scale open world sandbox Japan game so there's a void to fill. I think the closest is probably the Way of the Samurai series or Shenmue 1 but those are tiny environments compared to an AC. A feudal Japan AC set in Kyoto with temples everywhere and stuff would be pretty epic. Kyoto has really varied environments with rivers and mountains, bamboo forests and temples and cities.

I'd also really like to see a game like Watchdogs do a modern 20XX open world map of the entire city of Tokyo. I think Watchdogs would be best series for that, for being able to hack into stuff and mess with it. Plus it's less interactive and violent so it works better like Watchdogs 2 did SF.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34193 on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »
I don't follow the AC series, did they ever do an Indian setting? If not, that would be really cool. Barring that, Thailand or Southeast Asia...
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34194 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »
Oh fuck me I installed new drivers and now RDR2 wont run in Vulkan anymore and it reset all my graphical settings

:maf :maf :maf :maf :maf
What

Bebpo

« Reply #34195 on: January 22, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
Oh fuck me I installed new drivers and now RDR2 wont run in Vulkan anymore and it reset all my graphical settings

After my game crashed, I looked it up and apparently the error_gfx_state crashes are exclusive to vulkan and an issue with the vulkan api, so I’m playing in dx12 anyhow. Not worth risking crashes 30 mins into missions for a few extra fps.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34196 on: January 22, 2020, 01:31:42 PM »

After my game crashed, I looked it up and apparently the error_gfx_state crashes are exclusive to vulkan and an issue with the vulkan api, so I’m playing in dx12 anyhow. Not worth risking crashes 30 mins into missions for a few extra fps.

Never had that message, for me it wont even boot into the menu if I put it on Vulkan, it just says rockstar social club cant initialize graphics api or some shit. So I changed it to DX12 and it runs, but slightly worse than on Vulkan and I could really use all the extra FPS since i had my settings over the maximum limit.

Fuck it, not gonna bother till I upgrade my graphics card. That 5700 XT or whatever sounded great. 270 or something for better perf than a 1080?
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34197 on: January 22, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »
I didn't expect Odyssey to be this good. I wasn't a fan of RPG elements in Origins and Bayek was boring an dull. I still don't quite like the overall gameplay loop but the storyline is great, it was very cohesive and the characters get development unlike in the past where they just came out of nowhere and you're told to kill them. I was also quite hesitant when they announced character select and fear for girlpower all men are trash character but I was wrong, Kassandra is amazing. She tops even Ezio for me.

This game is huge and beautiful. I hope they make one sets in China for next gen. Yeah I know there are already 2D sidescrolling one but I want full fledged title that I can explore, just thinking about makes me moist.

Yes this game rocks.

For a new AC I'd like to see The Dutch Golden Age, Amsterdam, East India Company Colonies, Orange royalists faction lynching De Witt. etc. . I must admit though that Ragnarok also sounds cool.

They'll probably never do this because this is exactly what Patrice wanted and partly created for THQ.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34198 on: January 22, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »
Some more AC Odyssey

The Mykonos island quest was crazy good.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's this rebel lady aided by a Spartan general who wants to help her overthrow the evil ruler.
But then things get spicy. You meet up with Sokrates who teaches Kassandra about making choices. I had to free a rebel who was captured for murder who turned out to be a lunatic.
Even a small ripple can change into a wave that changes everything.

Back to the main task of dealing with this evil ruler. You can pick two sides. You can either go with the Spartans and kill the fucker or sneak about and help the rebel lady.
Of course it seems obvious to help rebel lady to weaken the leader. But by doing so Kassandra and the rebel lady fall in love and she tells her that she has a thing with the spartan general. Ooh boy.

Next up, I was unsure what to do and a new quest pops up. Some different Spartan just wants to take the island. I figure that would be easiest, just do a big battle.
The battle is tough but I win. The leader is evicted from his house and hiding somewhere on the island. Easy kill but first some homeless woman sends me on a short quest to discover that the evil ruler is actually rebel lady's father.
Oh shit, things get complicated now. I decide to tell her in person and not in front of all the rebels, who would probably leave her if I did. After I break the news she needs to time to think about this, I got out and kill the evil guy I'm supposed to kill.

This leads to the rebels winning and of course a big celebration. The evil ruler is dead!
But not all is well. Even though I help rebel lady with the funeral proceedings of her now dead father that she hated so much, I also have to come eye to eye with the Spartan general and invite him to our big victory party.
Not pleased, he decides he wants to kill me. Whatever I say, the outcome is always fighting this dude, for taking his glory, girl and victory. After a short battle he dies. I win, haha.

I return to the party to find the rebel lady. She tells me the general has been called back to Sparta and is due for a promotion. Hurrah! I can lie to her, but instead i bring her the news that he's dead.
She calls him stubborn but also berates me for killing him. She had send word for both him and me to help her and her rebellion and we've brought nothing but sorrow.

Aye, time to wrap up this party. Good old Sokrates returns and starts his lecture on making choices again. Goddamn you were right little man. Had I kept it 'professional' the Spartan general might still have lived as a powerful ally no doubt.
I make a speech about how we have won our freedom and everyone including rebel lady gets drunk.

Fin.
[close]
It's not the bloody baron, but there's a lot of choices that determine how everything plays out.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #34199 on: January 23, 2020, 08:49:05 AM »
Played through the beginning part of vampyr last night. This game is pretty hype honestly.