Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558601 times)

Beezy

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36360 on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:43 PM »
Played through all the FFXV DLC eps this weekend. The story bits of the Ignis and Ardyn ones really should've made it into the main game somehow.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36361 on: February 01, 2021, 03:20:49 AM »
Anyone play Catan Universe or other digital boardgames?

Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36362 on: February 01, 2021, 06:28:52 AM »
Christ, The Medium is terrible. How do they still suck this much at horror games after 4 tries...

« Reply #36363 on: February 01, 2021, 03:21:09 PM »
I started Kingdom Hearts 2 finally after beating 1 like a couple years ago. Holy shit this intro is so incredibly boring. This is worse than Skyward Sword. When does the game get “good” like everyone says this is the best rpg combat system? I started skipping cutscenes toward the end of the prologue which I think I’m finished with by now. I just want to beat this or at least get close to the end so I can move onto birth by sleep which always interested me.

Bebpo

« Reply #36364 on: February 01, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »
Best rpg combat system? hahaha, what.
I guess if you're playing on super extra extreme difficulty final mix edition of KH2/KH3 against the post-game data battles it's good technical DMC/NG style combat.

But otherwise it's just a fun mash friendly combat game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36365 on: February 01, 2021, 06:32:31 PM »
The intro is the worst part, easy. It gets a lot better.

And yes KH2 has the best combat of the series
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36366 on: February 01, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
Finished Death Stranding and I have....thoughts. I think that this is one of those MGS 2 games where you either think Kojima was off his rocker or brilliant. I have to admit I find myself in the pro-Koima camp on this one. Yeah it has a ton of flaws but I get the overall idea and like it. That being said, I expect exactly no one to agree with me on this. I can totally see how anyone could come to this and find it a waste of time.

Bought a copy of Cyber Shadow the Yacht Club games publisher got my interest. That being said, I think it's.....OK, I guess. I see some people raving about it, but these tend to be younger gamers that didn't live through the NES cycle. For those of us that did, Cyber Shadow can be swapped out with any number of games (Batman, Ninja Gaiden, etc). I feel like it doesn't bring much new to the table, and certainly doesn't do it better than everyone else. Further you're supposed to be a badass ninja and I spend most of my time doing resource management. It's not until the second to the last chapter when you do something different, so why put in a vehicle level at all if you only put it in the end?  Really I feel it's at best passable. And with the $20 price tag? That's generous. If it was $10 I'd be more likely to recommend it, but at this price point? It's just ragingly OK.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #36367 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:32 PM »
Finished Death Stranding and I have....thoughts. I think that this is one of those MGS 2 games where you either think Kojima was off his rocker or brilliant. I have to admit I find myself in the pro-Koima camp on this one. Yeah it has a ton of flaws but I get the overall idea and like it. That being said, I expect exactly no one to agree with me on this. I can totally see how anyone could come to this and find it a waste of time.

Actually that's pretty much how Death Stranding is (love/hate) and most people who've played it are on the thumbs up side.

I've actually never met a person online or irl who didn't like Death Stranding. I feel like all the flack was like week 1 from reviewers and Kojima haters. Basically everyone who played it thought it was a good game. Has flaws, sure. But it's ambitious and interesting and a lot of fun.

The intro is the worst part, easy. It gets a lot better.

And yes KH2 has the best combat of the series

I like BBS's combat the most, but KH2 combat is better than KH3 combat, yeah.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36368 on: February 02, 2021, 04:12:14 AM »
Just got the Hotline in Control and called it quits for the night. Great intro, this is extremely my shit.

Also put a couple hrs in destruction all stars. There's something kinda interesting here, but it doesn't seem to pull it together and feels pretty flat so far. Will give it another go at some point. Really enjoying the Wipeout Omega Collection, never got to play 2048 and the tracks look stunning if a little busy. I love the stripped down presentation of the early Wipeouts. Deleted NFS hot pursuit, I don't really understand why I enjoyed this so much back on ps3. Feels very by the numbers and dull now, and all the cars feel like boats.
◕‿◕

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36369 on: February 02, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
Oh man, The Medium is trying to tackle
spoiler (click to show/hide)
rape, child abuse and the holocaust
[close]
and does all of it in the worst way possible.

I love this game now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36370 on: February 02, 2021, 10:08:49 AM »
[close]

I love this game now.

:polandcry
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #36371 on: February 02, 2021, 03:44:09 PM »
[close]

I love this game now.
That part is strange, because it only exists to introduce a certain character.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36372 on: February 02, 2021, 08:42:42 PM »
About 20 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles now. Just wrapped up the Mine at Colony 6.

Such a lovely comfy game. With that said it can get pretty dark at times with robots eating humans and all that  :tocry
🤴

« Reply #36373 on: February 02, 2021, 08:57:33 PM »
One of the best jrpgs ever  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36374 on: February 02, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »
I totally loved how Xenoblade streamlined quests and especially side quests.

I totally hated how the side quests really weren't worth it.
que

« Reply #36375 on: February 02, 2021, 10:19:44 PM »
It doesn't do a good job of signalling which quests or questlines are worthwhile, but there are a few. You can get 2 extra skill trees for each character, unique weapons, arts for the monado, bosses and even some voiced cutscenes/story content. I did every quest in the game thanks to how easy it is in the remaster and I enjoyed it a lot. Never managed to do that in the original. I've maxed out my party levels and am grinding for end game gems to beat the superbosses.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36376 on: February 03, 2021, 12:16:43 AM »
Finished Xenoblade Future Connected just now. Adds a bit of depth to Melia's storyline and getting to play the Bionis Shoulder (an area that was used as a test area in the original Wii game) was neat.

Also continued onwards with DKC2. I beat the first 4 Lost World areas and got all the bonuses/coins up to Screech's Sprint. So inching closer to the end... a bit worried about the final Lost World, however.

My fiancee has been taking to Tetris Effect so I've been playing a bit with her... I beat the game on beginner difficulty but am stuck at world 6 on the normal difficulty. She didn't grow up playing Tetris but she's been learning pretty quick.

My Ys IX arrived so I'll probably start that this weekend.
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36377 on: February 03, 2021, 05:05:47 AM »
I'm still laughing at The Medium for having "Press RB to parry child abuse" as one of the setpieces.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #36378 on: February 03, 2021, 05:36:21 AM »
I'm still laughing at The Medium for having "Press RB to parry child abuse" as one of the setpieces.

:goty :goty2 :gamer
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #36379 on: February 03, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »
Man, don't sell your games too leniently brehs. I rebought Dead Space Wii last year after selling it 10 years back and now found out I got a censored version that cuts the best part out of the finale - as if it wasn't bad enough that it was quite costly used :picard
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:35:01 AM by Spieler1 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36380 on: February 03, 2021, 11:06:35 PM »
Beat K Rool and got the "regular" ending in DKC2. Missed a Kremcoin in the Web Woods so I have to go back there, and then it's off to Animal Antics, the super tough bonus area...

Also my fiancee inspired me to get back into Tetris Effect. I finally beat Stage 6 on Normal (I beat it on Beginner last weekend)... so now up to the final stage on Normal.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36381 on: February 04, 2021, 04:34:35 PM »
It doesn't do a good job of signalling which quests or questlines are worthwhile, but there are a few. You can get 2 extra skill trees for each character, unique weapons, arts for the monado, bosses and even some voiced cutscenes/story content. I did every quest in the game thanks to how easy it is in the remaster and I enjoyed it a lot. Never managed to do that in the original. I've maxed out my party levels and am grinding for end game gems to beat the superbosses.
Yeah the game is much more pleasant on Switch and a breeze to play. Perhaps it's a bit too easy because I find it so well balanced up until now but I don't mind. :rejoice
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36382 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »
Yay, beat Animal Antics and got the 102%...

Tomorrow gonna start Ys IX and catass that all weekend :O

Hey Nintex - are you gonna play Future Connected when you're done?
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36383 on: February 05, 2021, 02:02:32 AM »
Xenoblade 1 is one of my favorite rpgs. I was interested in Future Connected, but everyone told me it was just filler and worse than Torna expansion for XB2. Don't really want to spend the money or time for it.

Really hoping the next Takahashi game is Xenoblade X2. I think there's plenty of room for improvement in the X series and the story well...I'd rather see where the X story is going than more stuff like XB2 which I thought was the weakest Xeno~ story yet with the worst cast.

Bebpo

« Reply #36384 on: February 05, 2021, 02:16:52 AM »
AC Vikings

So about 30 hours in now, just finishing up my 3rd story arc in Ledecestre (btw, fuck trying to spell Medieval England city names without google), and I like this a lot now! But everyone I've talked to whose playing it likes it for different reasons.

Makes me think AC is in that Final Fantasy situation where everyone's version of a good AC game is something different so good luck trying to please all the fans.

For me I actually really enjoy that the game has no central story. Breaking it into 5-10 hour story arcs, each in their own region with side stuff just makes this like the best pick up and play AC ever. I'm not compelled to beat this in a few weeks or months. Or ever play it as my main game I'm playing. But I'll probably beat it at some point some day. I like that I can just turn on the PS5 and quick resume (not like I'm playing anything else on that system) and toss up the raven and see what's the next dot between me and my next story mission and then ride over and do something. And just do a few of those and then shut it off and I'm good. Everything takes like 10-20 mins so it's really perfect bite-sized segments.

The world events that are like mini-mini-quests are pretty enjoyable and give the locations a bit more life. Hunting for treasures and solving the puzzles or platforming to get to them is fun. The only thing that totally sucks as is the flying paper chases from AC3 which still suck because the platforming controls will never be good on a tight timer in AC. If I was reviewing the game I'd subtract an entire point out of 10 for bringing those shitty things back.

But otherwise it looks nice, really good sharp textures and art direction, runs great (and makes me pretty impressed with the PS5), good music.

I think the weakest part overall is that this is a really uninteresting time period/location for the setting. Maybe historically it's interesting, but basically Dark Ages England is just like all the cool looking stuff from Roman Empire days are gone and we're not at the next cool architecture period, so it's an entire game map of drab boring villages & ruins. I think I would've rather had a Roman Empire era England, but I get that coming from Greece that'd be too similar, so they went with this.

Valhalla is good for everything other than cool looking buildings/cities to climb through. Though that's probably my favorite part of AC games so it is a bit of a bummer, but the story arcs and exploration make up for it.

Oh and I'm playing with very minimal HUD and it's working well with this not much handholding AC game. I keep lifebars and stuff, but that's about it. Instead I just swap between the map and using my raven to locate the next item and then head in that direction. Makes exploring and figuring things out pretty fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #36385 on: February 05, 2021, 03:54:21 AM »

Now that I'm done with Hitman 3, back to DQXIs, good stuff.

Had the first challenge trying to do the fight challenges at Angri-La way too early and underleveled. Getting under 16 turns with my party at this point took me like 40 mins of strategy planning and gear swaps. Kinda annoying, kinda fun. Probably just wait until later to come back and do them.

Definitely starting to get more later/endgame type optional stuff. Got the charm quest at the medal place and stacked on all my highest charm stuff for my MC and still wasn't enough so yeah, will come back later.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36386 on: February 06, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »
Yay, beat Animal Antics and got the 102%...

Tomorrow gonna start Ys IX and catass that all weekend :O

Hey Nintex - are you gonna play Future Connected when you're done?
Yep, that's my plan if I don't give up on this one. Currently ~20 hours into Xenoblade about lvl 35.

About halfway through Makna forest and just saved Melia. Either I've gotten much better at RPG's than I did in the Wii days or the game has gotten easier because I don't recall getting Melia so fast in the Wii version of the game.
In fact I don't recall this part of the game at all but it's hard to remember of the original because you could never really tell what was going on during battles.  :doge

I also still have to complete XB2 some day and I still haven't touched Torna either.

While I liked the premise of Xenoblade X, I didn't like how the game was structured. It all played a bit cumbersome more like an MMORPG than a story driven RPG. The fast travel points also seemed to always be just where you didn't need to be.
You could say that Xenoblade 1 also has a lot of fairly simple fetch and monster killing quests but those are far less cumbersome and there's nearly always a fast travel point nearby.
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #36387 on: February 07, 2021, 02:51:44 AM »
So I’m currently playing through Persona 5 Royal, and will likely be getting Strikers once I wrap it up.

That should lead straight into Yakuza 7 once the PS5 version is out.

I also need to finish up Ghost of Tsushima which I put on hold when 2077 came out.

I also want to fit in 13 Sentinels somewhere there.

I basically transformed to this guy:  :expert

:existential
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36388 on: February 07, 2021, 06:03:59 AM »
 :nerds
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36389 on: February 08, 2021, 11:10:25 AM »
Beat Tetris Effect on normal, and my fiancee beat it on beginner... I'm gonna introduce her to Lumines next.

Also started Ys IX and played the first 3 chapters. It plays great, though with some strange framerate dips here and there. It feels like Adol in a much faster paced Arkham game... The verticality is neat but makes it a bit hard to figure out where to go in the tightly-cramped dungeons. The music is uncharacteristically bland so far, as is the setting (The lost island with prehistoric beasts and the castaway theme of VIII resonated with me much more than superheroes investigating the prison-industrial complex). Translation is much better than VIII at least.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36390 on: February 08, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »

:uguu

Been playing Void Terrarium (or void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium if you're an insane person), and it's pretty dece so far. It's a rogue-like in the vein of Shiren the Wanderer, but instead of losing everything upon death, all your items are converted into crafting materials. Sometimes you actually want to die, because you need to get back to your base and feed Toriko, the possibly last human alive on Earth, that you've adopted along with the AI that destroyed humanity 100 years earlier (but he's sorry about it). The AI tells you what materials you need and where to find them, then you go out into the wilds and scavenge parts and food for Toriko to make her safe and happy, while fighting radioactive bugs and automated defense drones. It's cute.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36391 on: February 08, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »
Dragon Quest 11S

So one of the bulletpoints for this version was "character side stories"

What they ACTUALLY meant were "tiny, useless ass vignettes that occur at the beginning of act 2"
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #36392 on: February 08, 2021, 02:44:55 PM »
Control. Very cool game. I don't know how well they've patched this on PS4, but it's not nearly as unplayable as has been told. At least the version on PS+. Sometimes it slows down and the load times can be dreadful if you die often, but whatever. Though it was the Digital Foundry crowd that screeched at the sight of the console versions and I'm not exactly their target audience, being unable to even tell (let alone care) if a game is 30 or 60 fps  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36393 on: February 08, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »
Control. Very cool game. I don't know how well they've patched this on PS4, but it's not nearly as unplayable as has been told. At least the version on PS+. Sometimes it slows down and the load times can be dreadful if you die often, but whatever. Though it was the Digital Foundry crowd that screeched at the sight of the console versions and I'm not exactly their target audience, being unable to even tell (let alone care) if a game is 30 or 60 fps  :doge
I played on PC, but i think some of the problematic areas come a bit later on, not sure where you're at, still.

Svejk

« Reply #36394 on: February 08, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »
Been playing that too, thanks to PS+.  I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far.  I can totally be a fair weather graphics whore, and this game is doing it for me in Graphics Mode.  30fps is totally playable with that sweet RT (even though on the lower spectrum).

« Reply #36395 on: February 08, 2021, 10:59:53 PM »
Continuing BOTW, best game of all time  :-* starting fresh with all the dlc is great. I got the korok mask so early and I’m just finding them left and right. One thing the next game needs is the ability to quickly swap your armour sets. Especially since the climbing and swimming armours make such a huge improvement in movement!

I caught the lord of the mountain and took it to a stable and they freaked out, then we got shot by a guardian and he vanished. Rip king.

Bebpo

« Reply #36396 on: February 08, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
I had a random thought tonight that AC Valhalla would be better if the combat aped Dynasty Warriors rather than 1 on 1 fights of Sekiro/character action.

Most of the time you're just raiding and fighting mass amounts of enemies in war. You should be AoE hitting a bunch of enemies at a time and have cool AoE hitting specials like spinning your big axe in a whirlwind circle hitting all enemies near you. Bulls dash through a group and destroy everyone in your way, etc....

I think the combat would be more fun like that. Because standard AC slash and parry and shit against 1 enemy at a time is super boring against 20 grunts in a row. Bosses in Valhalla are fun as Sekiro-baby-lite. But standard combat needs more crowd control.

Bebpo

« Reply #36397 on: February 10, 2021, 02:51:05 AM »

Pretty game is pretty.

Svejk

« Reply #36398 on: February 10, 2021, 10:08:26 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty game is pretty.
I was really getting into this until Control popped up on PS+.  Wanted to play through it real quick and jump back to AC.  Game is stunning looking and is fun to play so far.  I'm not too looking forward to the girth of this one particularly, but the quest design is better and more streamlined and personal when compared to Odyssey, so that helps a lot.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36399 on: February 10, 2021, 05:46:15 PM »
~28 hours now, lvl 38.
Makna Forest story stuff done and the Telethia defeated. Nopon village story stuff cleared as well.
Went to Aerith Sea thrown into the slammer for being an illegal immigrant owning a sword but released by the Evangelion kid Alvis and am now allowed to storm roam the capital.

Xenoblade apart from being horney is now also very  p o l i t i c a l   :tophat
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36400 on: February 10, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »

is there a single jrpg that isn't made by men dying of thirst?

goes for all games western or eastern, but jrpg's are peak horny
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #36401 on: February 10, 2021, 08:28:14 PM »
Probably Matsuno games like Tactics Ogre and maybe FFT.
FF12 has a short skirt and Fran's ass, but that was probably SE forcing it in.

Suikoden I/II might be alright. The games that tend to be about realism war tend to be less thirsty. Valkyria Chronicles is totally an exception to that though. Now Valkyrie Profile 1/2 is pretty alright.

But yeah, W-rpgs are just as bad. When I was playing Divinity OS2 there was a decent amount of thirsty stuff.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36402 on: February 10, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »

They know their audience...
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36403 on: February 11, 2021, 03:49:54 AM »

Same goes for the "political" thing, but it's usually just your cookie cutter use of "genocide bad", "war is no pleasant" and similar surface level thematics.

EDIT: Not a comment on Xenoblade specifically, since i haven't played it, but i just find it funny when people comment on an anime or a game with "wow such bold and mature themes!", and then it's usually a very broad and basic take on that stuff.
Which ironically, it being so far removed from the target audience, it even makes it less brave to tackle, since you don't really have any real territory to explore.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36404 on: February 11, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
Anyone playing the hottest survival and crafting game Valheim?
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36405 on: February 11, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
Not a comment on Xenoblade specifically, since i haven't played it, but i just find it funny when people comment on an anime or a game with "wow such bold and mature themes!", and then it's usually a very broad and basic take on that stuff.
Which ironically, it being so far removed from the target audience, it even makes it less brave to tackle, since you don't really have any real territory to explore.

I watched through Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions with a friend because it supposedly had themes like that. It has basically become an in-joke between me and that friend. Absolutely horrendous show. The only reason we remember the show is because we started rooting for the goblins the main characters are supposed to kill.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36406 on: February 11, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »
Witcher 3
Finally getting to see what the hubbub is. At first it was just another Skyrim type and now it's sorta what Skyrim should have been (if it were just a bit more open).
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36407 on: February 11, 2021, 04:07:53 PM »

Same goes for the "political" thing, but it's usually just your cookie cutter use of "genocide bad", "war is no pleasant" and similar surface level thematics.

EDIT: Not a comment on Xenoblade specifically, since i haven't played it, but i just find it funny when people comment on an anime or a game with "wow such bold and mature themes!", and then it's usually a very broad and basic take on that stuff.
Xenoblade is thankfully not taking it too far. The dumb dumbs from the lower regions of the Bionis eventually travel to the top where the High Entia live.
They have a more advanced civilization and an Emperor who is about to give over the reigns to his heir. There's a group plotting to prevent that from happening. 

Overall XB handles most if its themes well, they're not trying to hit you over the head with lessons of morality and it doesn't take itself too serious.
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36408 on: February 12, 2021, 05:07:27 AM »

They know their audience...

I don’t know what the west is like, but the ads I am served as a mobile player in Japan are brazenly sexist. None of the games that are advertised are offered on the US store. When the ads are particularly egregious in there objectification, I actually report them.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36409 on: February 12, 2021, 05:14:50 AM »
I like when the ads are like "Don't let your wife see you playing this game" and I turn off the phone and cry myself to sleep.

Bebpo

« Reply #36410 on: February 13, 2021, 08:20:41 PM »
DQXIs

Going back around places in Act 2. This looked nice:

And this mount is amazing. There's so many good mounts in this. I kinda wish they added them all to FF14. I wonder since DQ10 is an MMO if some of these mounts are from that.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36411 on: February 14, 2021, 12:39:38 AM »
I like when the ads are like "Don't let your wife see you playing this game" and I turn off the phone and cry myself to sleep.

TRY NOT TO CUM

BIONIC

« Reply #36412 on: February 14, 2021, 01:18:16 AM »

TRY NOT TO CUM

Too late  :rash
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #36413 on: February 14, 2021, 03:36:16 AM »
Now that I'm actually a good way into Act II in DQXIs the pacing is pretty breakneck fast. Once you're on the boat it's just like one spot after another, especially because a lot of these arcs are just like some cutscenes -> boss fights.

Kinda took a break from this to play Hitman III and AC Valhalla since the transition to Act II and the start of Act II dropped the pace down, but now that it's picked back up probably get through Act II this week.

Boss fights are actually somewhat challenging now, which is good. When I fought the gloomnivore at the castle ruins after a billion cutscenes I got destroyed and had to Dark Souls style do a 10 min run back to the boss. First time I died on a boss, but I'd never played defensively up until that point because the game was easy. On 2nd attempt buffed defense and healed and played defensively outside my 2 attackers doing big damage and it was fine. Been using the same style for bosses since and it's going good.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36414 on: February 14, 2021, 03:48:58 AM »
I just got the "flying plot device" so I'm dicking around exploring. I use Hero - Sylvando - Jade - Rab

I use Sylvando to Oomphle Hero + Jade, who then spam Falcon Slash & Multithrust, then use Rab to Sap

From there I pretty much spam that shit and use Hustle Dance (it does more based on Sylvando's Charm, so it outheals Multiheal), and use Rab to use his triple claw attack. I get some chunky Crits in

I could just set up Erik to annihilate enemies (prob the most broken character in the game) - BUT - with Hero + Sylvando + Jade you can use Electro Light pep power, which can spawn metal slimes. EZ xp
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36415 on: February 14, 2021, 05:44:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm using hero and greg sylv rab.

I like that with a shield greg can tank & heal as well, plus with an axe I just do that move that hurts you as well for like 100hp damage. With oomphie & sap on the boss it does pretty insane damage as long as it doesn't kill him.

Didn't know hustle dance is based on charm. Yeah I'm getting like 130HP heals from it and its best group heal with Rab doing the all party 22HP regen, sap debuffs and revives.

I never use pep powers strategically because they're all so random when they match up. Out of everything in the game the pep combo system is probably the only bad idea imo. Just too much rng.

I'm like level 37-39 since I've been skipping normal encounters most of the game. Whether I stick with the post-game will probably come down to if I have to grind a ton of levels or not. I like how meaty DQ post games are, but I usually don't go all the way to the end of post-game because it turns into a Disgaea thing where every boss is like a dozen levels higher and you just have to grind a bunch between each fight.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #36416 on: February 14, 2021, 09:52:55 AM »
I just wrapped YS: THE OATH IN FELGHANA on the Vita, which is a remake of Ys III. This is my first Ys game and it was FUCKIN GREAT. It might be time to start digging into more Falcom shit.

Moving onward to Ever17 (early Uchikoshi VN) on the Vita, and then Ys 8.

Wondering if Tokyo Xanadu is any good.

Bebpo

« Reply #36417 on: February 14, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »
You're gonna be so disappointed lolllll

Play Ys Origins next. Origins & Ys6 are the only Ys games that play like Oath. Origins is a dungeon crawler and great, Ys6 is a lot weaker than Oath but still alright. Oath came after Ys6 and was a refinement.

Tokyo Xanadu is a talky game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36418 on: February 14, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
Tokyo Xanadu is fine - if you like Ys you'll fit right in. The EX+ version on PS4/Switch has more content but it doesnt add much to the game.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36419 on: February 14, 2021, 01:28:31 PM »
No, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Tokyo Xanadu a lot and I'd like a sequel that builds on the world lore setup.

But it's very much a talky Trails game where probably 75% of the very lengthy game time is talking to NPCs and talky sidequests and cutscenes and like 25% is light arpg dungeon crawling.

It's definitely not the kind of game I'd recommend to someone that just came off Oath which is like a pure fast paced awesome gameplay game. I'd recommend it more to someone who likes Trails than Ys.