Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558962 times)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2009, 02:57:16 AM »
Still Infamous, just got the lightning storm power. Fucking awesome.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2009, 03:04:55 AM »
Finished Killzone 2.

It may take me some more time to reflect on the whole game to give an accurate assessment but that last push on the Vasari palace really fucking soured my opinion of it.  Sure it looked balls out brilliant but it eclipsed COD in the ridiculous monster closet department during that section.  I couldn't even imagine trying (or even wanting to try) to attempt it on a higher difficulty level.  I'm also not a big fan of "boss" fights in my FPS but thankfully Killzone really only had 2 that I can recall (the ATAC and the last guy) - I just would've preferred that they weren't there at all.  Still not a fan of the way the game controls either - it reminded me of some clunky ass console FPS from 1999.  It just doesn't feel natural at all, imo.  And the story.....just dumb.  Not that I usually give a shit about the plot in my murder sims anyway, but it would've been nice to have one (1) likeable character in the game.

Other than that though, I had a pretty good time.  Some of the set piece battles were freakin' jaw dropping with some of the most amazing visuals I've ever seen on a console.  With all the tracers, smoke, fire, explosions, etc. they really made you feel like you were part of an actual fight.  It may not have been all that it was hyped up to be but it still turned out to be one of the better FPS of the last couple of years.

How long did it take you? And what control settings were you using?

Well, I didn't time myself but I started yesterday afternoon and played it off and on since - I'd say I probably put in about 6 or 7 hours.  Just about perfect for me nowadays.  I just don't have the time anymore to devote to some long ass game.

I also used the default controller set up.  I fooled with the settings but I couldn't find a happy medium that corrected the problems I have with it so I just let it be.

Tacos

ch1nchilla

« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:40 AM »
Finished Killzone 2.

It may take me some more time to reflect on the whole game to give an accurate assessment but that last push on the Vasari palace really fucking soured my opinion of it.  Sure it looked balls out brilliant but it eclipsed COD in the ridiculous monster closet department during that section.  I couldn't even imagine trying (or even wanting to try) to attempt it on a higher difficulty level.  I'm also not a big fan of "boss" fights in my FPS but thankfully Killzone really only had 2 that I can recall (the ATAC and the last guy) - I just would've preferred that they weren't there at all.  Still not a fan of the way the game controls either - it reminded me of some clunky ass console FPS from 1999.  It just doesn't feel natural at all, imo.  And the story.....just dumb.  Not that I usually give a shit about the plot in my murder sims anyway, but it would've been nice to have one (1) likeable character in the game.

Other than that though, I had a pretty good time.  Some of the set piece battles were freakin' jaw dropping with some of the most amazing visuals I've ever seen on a console.  With all the tracers, smoke, fire, explosions, etc. they really made you feel like you were part of an actual fight.  It may not have been all that it was hyped up to be but it still turned out to be one of the better FPS of the last couple of years.

Well, I didn't time myself but I started yesterday afternoon and played it off and on since - I'd say I probably put in about 6 or 7 hours.  Just about perfect for me nowadays.  I just don't have the time anymore to devote to some long ass game.

I also used the default controller set up.  I fooled with the settings but I couldn't find a happy medium that corrected the problems I have with it so I just let it be.

Ah. I just started it today, but I put it on the last possible control option, which fixes most of my gripes but still isn't quite right. It works though. I only rented it, so hopefully I'll finish up before I have to return it.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
I ended up spending the weekend playing whatever quest popped up in Fable 2 and bartending and buying up Albion. I eventually got enough to buy the Brightwood Tower so I could complete that quest. Now I can finally get on with heading back to Bloodstone.

cool breeze

« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
Finished Killzone 2.

Did you do the High Precision mode or whatever? I was reading on gaf that they updated the game to make aiming more like other games (less laggy).  I haven't tried it myself yet.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »
Did you do the High Precision mode or whatever? I was reading on gaf that they updated the game to make aiming more like other games (less laggy).  I haven't tried it myself yet.

They have the audacity to call the control fix "high precision mode"? lol
jon

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »
SF4SF4SF4SF4SF4SF4SF4SF4 and SF4.  Also, SF4.

Played a bit of Soul Calibur IV last night too, for shits n' giggles, and a little bit of SSF2T HD Remix here and there (which continues to be difficult to go back to after so much SF4)  I really find myself just wanting to play fighters and not much else lately.
ど助平

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
It's officially official. Fable 2 is worthless.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »
class of heroes
lotr online
knights in the nightmare
willco's jewcation adventures: gold grab gala
duc

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:57 PM »
I was going to post a thread, but felt too much shame in the end...

I finally tried my wife's copy of ea active and...it destroyed me. I'm not in fantastic shape, but I thought I was in decent shape. I decided to play on the hardest because it didn't really look too difficult. 

I quit just over halfway through the workout. I did 25 minutes and now my legs are killing me.

I am blaming the crunches and pushups I did before turning it on! :'(

archie4208

« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »
I was going to post a thread, but felt too much shame in the end...

I finally tried my wife's copy of ea active and...it destroyed me. I'm not in fantastic shape, but I thought I was in decent shape. I decided to play on the hardest because it didn't really look too difficult. 

I quit just over halfway through the workout. I did 25 minutes and now my legs are killing me.

I am blaming the crunches and pushups I did before turning it on! :'(

EA Active workouts are easy.  I did a hard mode workout today and was only slightly winded.  :teehee  I am doing P90X in the mornings and that is a killer.  I could only do half of the chest and back workout before I had to quit.  :'(

archie4208

« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
Whoever said that Okami would be better on the Wii was so full of shit.  I spent 15 minutes drawing circles for Mr. Orange and kept on failing because the pointer is so inaccurate that it can't recognize my circle.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »
Played more Mercs 2 last night, solo. The game. So buggy. Not in a horrible "hay, why isn't my screen moving anymore?" freeze kind of way, but in the hi-larious "you've got to be kidding me" manner.

There are side missions where you have to drive an unarmed pickup truck with a bedful of $item in it. You can't lose more than N amount of $item on your way from point A to point B. On your way, people will shoot at you. If you drive in a straight line they will hit you. If you swerve, the Havok-driven physics will fling items out of the bed. No problem. It's challenging, and fun unless you've got the bad luck to have a 'copter with heat-seeking missiles in the scenario.

Last night though as the mission started, the pickup truck, unmanned, untouched, unmolested, NO visible, in-game external influence at all, was ejecting the contents of its storage area, in a fine froth of Havok physics, creating a fountain of boxes. I stood there and watched it until it had mysteriously emptied itself, at which point I entered the truck and the mission immediately auto-failed, with that trap-flapping Fiona bawling me out for losing too many pieces of $item.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »
played some blueberry garden today

a save game feature would have been nice
sup

Hollywood

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »
I'm still playing UFC, although its getting kind of tired. I'm just going through divisions with every fighter in exhibition. Also going through career a few times more after I figure out what fighter to create next, that doesn't look like crap in the weak CAF mode.

cool breeze

« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:31 AM »

They have the audacity to call the control fix "high precision mode"? lol

yep, and they even make it the default option after it updates.

I tried it out in a level of single and multiplayer, and it feels a lot better to me.  It's not perfect and turning speed isn't as fast as other games, but it doesn't feel like it's as twitch, laggy or jumpy now.  They still haven't patched in crouch toggle for single player.

Beezy

« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2009, 02:53:02 AM »
Played more Mercs 2 last night, solo. The game. So buggy. Not in a horrible "hay, why isn't my screen moving anymore?" freeze kind of way, but in the hi-larious "you've got to be kidding me" manner.

There are side missions where you have to drive an unarmed pickup truck with a bedful of $item in it. You can't lose more than N amount of $item on your way from point A to point B. On your way, people will shoot at you. If you drive in a straight line they will hit you. If you swerve, the Havok-driven physics will fling items out of the bed. No problem. It's challenging, and fun unless you've got the bad luck to have a 'copter with heat-seeking missiles in the scenario.

Last night though as the mission started, the pickup truck, unmanned, untouched, unmolested, NO visible, in-game external influence at all, was ejecting the contents of its storage area, in a fine froth of Havok physics, creating a fountain of boxes. I stood there and watched it until it had mysteriously emptied itself, at which point I entered the truck and the mission immediately auto-failed, with that trap-flapping Fiona bawling me out for losing too many pieces of $item.

:lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2009, 04:20:20 AM »
I should bitch about HULK more: The game structures its power progression around a player's in-game accomplishments, such as "defeated 250 Enclave units" or "stayed airborne for a total of 30 minutes" or "destroyed 100 buildings" or "taken down 10 attack helicopters" -- basically rewarding you for exploration of NYC and destruction of just about anything you find. That's pretty cool.

They also limit the progression by having the higher levels of each power be restricted by story progression; the prerequisite for those powers is a combination of the previously mentioned sandbox accomplishments, and "Exposed Major Talbot on TV" or "Defeated the Bi-Beast."  This is also logical and well-designed; you can max out all the exploration stuff, gather collectibles, and then take on story missions when you're ready to bump your power level up.

But in the effort to get the collectibles out of the way, there's always that moment when any Achievement whore feels that late night questioning of their raison d'etre, with the controller in one hand, a pen in the other, and a printed out map on the table against which we're checking off the stupid god-damned collectibles that EVERYBODY is putting in their games... in that attempt to clear those collectibles, I was visiting areas where the "comic book covers" are supposed to be, and they weren't there. I've got like two of fifteen of them, and I'm checking seven different item locations, so it's not like I picked them up and forgot about them. Where could they all be?

According to xbox360achievements.org, THEY APPEAR AS THE STORY MISSIONS ARE COMPLETED. What's that you say? Collectibles which, unlike all the other collectibles in the game, only show up based on story progression? So if I'm a player with NO guide, I will have combed the entire city from top to bottom for all the other collectibles, cleared them all, and be baffled why the comics are not around. Then I'll have to do it over and over again, only able to find the last Comic Book Cover when the game's main story is over?

But why tie power progression to these impossible to find items when the story progression prerequisite is already in place? Why send a player off to find something that doesn't exist, when the other items can be found at any time? Is it an intentional wild goose chase? DO YOU HATE YOUR PLAYERS, Edge of Reality, is that it?

Oh, and probably the dirtiest trick of them all: Even WITH completing the game and dealing with the late-arriving collectibles and all, the game has one piece of unlockable artwork which will only become available if you've got IRON MAN Save Data on your 360, and there's an Achievement for unlocking all artwork, so you can't get 1000/1000 in Hulk unless you've also played an unrelated game. Shitheels.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:27 AM »
Oh, and probably the dirtiest trick of them all: Even WITH completing the game and dealing with the late-arriving collectibles and all, the game has one piece of unlockable artwork which will only become available if you've got IRON MAN Save Data on your 360, and there's an Achievement for unlocking all artwork, so you can't get 1000/1000 in Hulk unless you've also played an unrelated game. Shitheels.

Wow.

Is this the Hulk game that was made by the Prototype developers?  Gives me yet another reason to avoid anything they make.
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »
I just picked up Beautiful Katamari on the cheap, I love this series. Anyone wanna get their roll on, online?  :-* (at some point in time)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2009, 06:59:51 AM »
and maaaaaaaaan those Hulk collectibles sound like ass! The best collectibles are in Bully, they show up on the map so theyre easy and fun. Every game should be doing them like that. Fuck Crackdown mayne

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »

Wow.

Is this the Hulk game that was made by the Prototype developers?  Gives me yet another reason to avoid anything they make.

No, they made the incredibly generic Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on Xshit and Gods Gift to Gaming, the PS2.
USA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »
If it makes you feel better chronovore, Edge of Reality is doing horrible right now and the entire team is looking for new work
fat

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2009, 08:14:54 PM »
Oh my fucking god the Eurylae fight in GoW2.

Oh my fucking god...
Borys is like that scrubby friend that you had in elementary school that discovered pogs a full 5 years after the fad died
jon

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

Wow.

No, it's Edge of Reality. They made this game to tie into the movie, but apparently to a very large degree based it on Radical's Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. What I've repeatedly heard is that H:UD is a very good game, but HULK (movie) misses achieving similar impressiveness. So many mediocre decisions where better solutions are easily available: What passes for mission-intro cinematics are horrendously bad, low-resolution, blurry and desaturated pre-rendered movies, or in some cases what are effectively still shots of a voice recorder playing back scientific notes or a cellphone playing back a recorded conversation. In the former case it's consistently unclear why they're not using the in-game camera which occasionally is even used during missions. In the latter case, there's a one-two punch of a hi-def animated two-fram GIF as a storytelling device while the voice actors mouth their way through cardboard dialog describing insensible situations.

If it makes you feel better chronovore, Edge of Reality is doing horrible right now and the entire team is looking for new work

Sadly, no, that doesn't make me feel better at all. Despite all my ranting, the core experience from HULK is about 80% of the way to being a really good game. Honestly, I'd love to read a postmortem, or talk with a team member to find out what the hell happened. Was it EOR or SEGA or Universal that shoved bad decisions through to the final product? Were they rushed? What led them to make these decisions? More than anything, I think any team that gets THIS close to making a good game should be pressed to make something similar, but use their experience (and established toolchain/pipeline) more effectively and efficiently the 2nd time around.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2009, 12:07:01 AM »
I'm only a few hours into Killzone 2 and I'm already really tired of it. In addition to the height gripe, the whole game feels really claustrophobic in terms of how much you can see. It feels like it should maybe be zoomed out a little bit? Also, I'm tired of this fucking garbage "HOLD THE FUCKING POSITION UNTIL REINFORCEMENTS COME!" bullshit every five minutes in the game. Give me some progression, I don't give a damn how linear the game is. Horrible pacing. Also, loading issues are constant, and the game more or less controls like shit, even with "high precision" phantomness turned on. My final complaint is that the AI partners in the game are dicks. If I wanted to be yelled at all day about focusing and getting my ass in gear, etc., I would wake up and go to my shit ass construction job in the morning (oh wait, I do that anyway). The next time I hear "C'MON SETH HIT THE FUCKING SWITCH" I'm returning this game to Blockbuster. Let me dick around and enjoy the visuals, you asshole fuckhead AI jerkoff.

That being said, the game looks pretty nice.

So far Killzone 2 is getting a 4/10 from me. Back to Persona 4, which I am dangerously close to beating.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2009, 03:19:34 AM »
Playing the original EverQuest to get the hang ofcit again before they unlock the 51/50 server this weekend.  Then it'll be time to slay the dragon!
CBG

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2009, 03:34:21 AM »
LIVE ISNT UP AND I AM GOING CRAZY
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2009, 03:45:06 AM »

WELCOME TO MY LAST NIGHT.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »

So how long has it been down?  I turned it on last night and was unable to log in because of my MTU setting which was a crock since my router is sitting at >1500.  I rebooted my modem and my router and still got the same error so I just left it alone.
Tacos

Powerslave

« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
I'm only a few hours into Killzone 2 and I'm already really tired of it. In addition to the height gripe, the whole game feels really claustrophobic in terms of how much you can see. It feels like it should maybe be zoomed out a little bit? Also, I'm tired of this fucking garbage "HOLD THE FUCKING POSITION UNTIL REINFORCEMENTS COME!" bullshit every five minutes in the game. Give me some progression, I don't give a damn how linear the game is. Horrible pacing. Also, loading issues are constant, and the game more or less controls like shit, even with "high precision" phantomness turned on. My final complaint is that the AI partners in the game are dicks. If I wanted to be yelled at all day about focusing and getting my ass in gear, etc., I would wake up and go to my shit ass construction job in the morning (oh wait, I do that anyway). The next time I hear "C'MON SETH HIT THE FUCKING SWITCH" I'm returning this game to Blockbuster. Let me dick around and enjoy the visuals, you asshole fuckhead AI jerkoff.

That being said, the game looks pretty nice.

So far Killzone 2 is getting a 4/10 from me. Back to Persona 4, which I am dangerously close to beating.

Sounds very annoying. Isn't there an option to reduce speech volume?

cool breeze

« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
I'd be surprised if there was an option.  I found out the other day that the custom soundtrack support is only for multiplayer.  Apparently they really want you to hear their music and dialogue, which is pretty good...the music, not the dialogue; the dialogue is awful terrible.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
prototype sort of sucks

it also runs like crap on my gaming laptop, which is sort of shocking considering how lackluster the graphics are
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2009, 02:15:39 PM »
Robbing a bank in Panama City. I'd forgotten how good the interrogation dialog was in Chaos Theory. I hope they keep some of this humor for Conviction, but I doubt it.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
I'm accumulating enough funds to buy Fairfax Castle in Fable 2. Once I've accomplished whatever happens after that, I'm going to remove the disk from my 360 and micturate upon it.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
I'm accumulating enough funds to buy Fairfax Castle in Fable 2. Once I've accomplished whatever happens after that, I'm going to remove the disk from my 360 and micturate upon it.

You have a lot more patience than me, man. I sold that piece of poop of a game as soon as I finished the story missions. 

duckman2000

« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
Another thing I had forgotten about Chaos Theory: the utter crapness of the hacking mini-game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »

So how long has it been down?  I turned it on last night and was unable to log in because of my MTU setting which was a crock since my router is sitting at >1500.  I rebooted my modem and my router and still got the same error so I just left it alone.

It's been up for at least 11 hours now. When in doubt, let the 360 run its Network Diagnostics routine from the System blade, er, "place." It'll tell you if XBL is up, or if it's your router, or your home intarnet tubez connekshun.

You have a lot more patience than me, man. I sold that piece of poop of a game as soon as I finished the story missions. 

Huh. I didn't have it in me to go for 1000/1000, but the property magnate in me was buying houses from the first moment I had enough funds. By 1/3 of the way through I had more money than I could spend, mainly because I didn't know that I could bump my stats with potions. I had enough to buy the castle and the same or more left over by the time it became available. Decent game but overhyped and repetitious.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
RANTING again; I AM ON A TEAR.

I've been going through the Co-Op Career in Guitar Hero III with a friend during lunch, making it a song or two at a time. My co-op partner's a better fake-guitarist than I am; I've finished Rock Band 1's Solo Tour on Hard, while my friend plays Expert during Band World Tour, and scores 95~98% consistently. So my rant is this:

How can I have played this game for THIS much time and have all of 95 gamerscore to show for it? Sure, I'll get some points for co-op tour when I finish, and it looks like I can play through it ALL OVER AGAIN in the lead guitar position (I'm playing bass in the current tour), but good freakin' grief, this is the most unreasonable set of Achievements I've ever seen. I've played through Easy and Medium solo tour, and am 1/4 through co-op tour, and I'm just about to purchase the final character. That's a lot of money spent, but I just checked the Achievement for it: 5 pts. There's the "unlock everything in the store" Achievement, of which "unlock all guitars" is a subset Achievement. But those require finishing the Expert tour or some other arcane and impossible effort.

I ragged on HULK for requiring IRON MAN save data to get the full 1000/1000, but GH III is worse because it seems to want you to spend your whole life playing the game. Yeah, sure, there's the valid perspective that Achievements should be difficult, as a means of determining player's puissance, but how about allowing human-level players to get, I dunno, HALF of the gamerscore before cutting them off?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
GH3 is a POS that's why
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
GH3 is a POS that's why

You're not wrong.

It's funny, GH III on Medium most of the songs are more fun to play than the average Rock Band song on Medium or Hard. The notes are laid out in an interesting, challenging manner. But every single other thing about the game pisses me off, from the Achievements to the in-game graphics, the short layout of the play area, the static progression of venues, which sits in Hell by default after you finish the first run, the fat circular notes; RB uses "lozenges" that are less deep, and easier to determine the timing when it crosses the strum-line. Yeah, except for my purely subjective impression of key layout, it sucks.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »
Smh @ GH3 bashing. Just because you can't keep up.  :-[

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hate it too, just have to keep my image :teehee
[close]
USA

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »
-Avalon Code: pretty boring so far, nice production values but it feels like it's missing something... combat is usually hit-and-run, enemies have quite a bit of HP, your weapons and your dodge move have a slow response time, and you have very limited health, so you die pretty frequently.

-Nanostray 2: only played a bit of this, I'm pretty damn impressed. Great handheld shmup, can be picked up for $10 or cheaper, and worth every cent if you're looking for a good DS game. Graphics are very nice for DS, ditto for the music (though for being a german game I expected a bit of minimal!!!). Switches between horizontal and vertical stages, the horizontal stages have a very Gradius feel (they'll scroll slightly diagonally in some parts, for instance) Has a ton of references/tributes to classic shooters, while playing, I noticed Ikaruga and a VERY blatant Life Force homage. Controls pretty smoothly, you get a pea shooter with rotating pods (that you can use to aim up or backwards), and a sub-weapon you select while the level starts...

-Black Sigil: just picked this up tonight, haven't tried it yet.

-Also a game where I try to navigate the real confusing roads and highways in this shady suburb of DC I'm staying at, without getting shot at or robbed... it's a bit like a real life Fallout 3 I guess :P
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »
I started Bionic Commando, this game is awesome
fat

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »
I just finished up my playthrough of Fallout 3, and after I started up Crackdown. I'm having fun just jumping around and kicking the shit out of badguys. Driving seems pointless to me though, am I wrong?
WDW

duckman2000

« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:51 AM »
Driving is shit boring until you hit 4 stars

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »
Well, I don't see that happening since I never drive anywhere as it is.
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2009, 03:39:54 AM »
Well, I don't see that happening since I never drive anywhere as it is.

Driving is, as stated, shit boring and is pretty much a sure way to take out too many civvies while you DESTROY CRIME. However, each Agency vehicle powers up a little with each star-level you gain in Driving, and by 4-stars you will be happy to have some killer cars. The sportscar becomes the batmobile, complete with cannon, and the ability to send other cars flying as it drives under them as a wedge-like ramp. FLING! The 4x4 can drive up walls.

And if you're an Achievement whore, there are many gamerscore points to be picked up directly or indirectly by fleshing out your efforts in Driving.

Bebpo

« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2009, 03:45:09 AM »
Driving is awesome in Crackdown.  Mainly for the physics and craaaaaazy jumps.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
Huh. I didn't have it in me to go for 1000/1000, but the property magnate in me was buying houses from the first moment I had enough funds. By 1/3 of the way through I had more money than I could spend, mainly because I didn't know that I could bump my stats with potions. I had enough to buy the castle and the same or more left over by the time it became available. Decent game but overhyped and repetitious.

yeah, I think I could only afford a stool and the pub. The story missions were over pretty quickly.

I had more fun with Alone in the Dark 360 than Fable 2 - the worst game I played this gen.

duckman2000

« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »

Eh, even the agency vehicles suck hairy stink until you hit 4 stars. Getting the jump function on the SUV makes it pretty damned awesome past that point, but it feels like a waste considering that I could have used that jump function to actually get the 4 star skill rating. Meh.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »
*plays more Killzone*

Fuck the Dualshock right in the ass.  I HATE that controller.

(Image removed from quote.)

I just bought one of these off Amazon.  Seems like only downside is that you can't turn the PS3 on or off with it.  Oh well.

Just want to say that for all you guys that hate the Dual Shock like I do, get this.  It came in the mail yesterday and the thing is AWESOME.  It feels so much better than the DS3 that it's like I'm playing my PS3 for the first time.  Only real downfall is that there's no Six Axis support but screw it, I don't care.

If I can't use my 360 controller for my PS3, then this is the next best substitute.

Tacos

duckman2000

« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
Played an hour or so of Prototype, but I don't think I'm going to stick with it. Pretty meh so far, and it feels a few years late to the "gratuitous violence because it's totally rad" parade.

duckman2000

« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
The only game I can think of where sixaxis actually makes a real difference is Infamous, but it's not a big deal (it's for determining the direction of the lightning storm).

cool breeze

« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »
The Last Express, which I had to resort to downloading since nowhere seems to have it in stock.   :-\

whatever PSP game I feel like playing because I want to use my PSP 3000 since it's awesome.  Probably replaying Daxter or something.

Just want to say that for all you guys that hate the Dual Shock like I do, get this.  It came in the mail yesterday and the thing is AWESOME.  It feels so much better than the DS3 that it's like I'm playing my PS3 for the first time.  Only real downfall is that there's no Six Axis support but screw it, I don't care.

If I can't use my 360 controller for my PS3, then this is the next best substitute.

How are the triggers (L2/R2 buttons)?

duckman2000

« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
Good question, the bumpers look more like the shit annoying crapfuck 360 shoulder buttons, which would be a downgrade. Any other trigger design would be an improvement, though.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »
Fable 2 - the worst game I played this gen.
You're either quite fortunate or selective in what you play cause I've played stuff way worse than Fable II.
Hi

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »

They're kinda like the Real Triggers in shape and while they don't feel as good as the 360's they're an improvement over the squishy concave design on the DS3.  However the bumpers (L1 & R1) look and feel  almost exactly the same as the DS.
Tacos

cool breeze

« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »
I got Spyro on PSN from qore (home, etc) and it's pretty boring.  Were the Spyro games, or at least the first one, really popular or well received back when it was released? I've only played the demos of Spyro and Crash games before this.

They're kinda like the Real Triggers in shape and while they don't feel as good as the 360's they're an improvement over the squishy concave design on the DS3.  However the bumpers (L1 & R1) look and feel  almost exactly the same as the DS.

I might try it out.  The problem with PS3/PS2 games is that some use R1/L1, others use R2/L2 and few let you change them around.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2009, 01:49:58 AM »

i never drove much in crackdown, jumping was too much fun.
itm