Author Topic: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread  (Read 154435 times)

Skidmark

Re: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread - PLEASE JOIN UFC WILCO!
« Reply #1200 on: August 23, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
This poor guy is getting a lot hate even though he is not the same UFC Jon Jones.  :D

https://twitter.com/jonjones

Skidmark

« Reply #1201 on: August 24, 2012, 01:07:05 AM »
Jones vs. Belfort to Headline UFC 152 After Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24/3264645/jones-vs-belfort-to-headline-ufc-152-after-lyoto-machida-turns-down

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1202 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
Quote from: Boogie
Yes, the UFC is to blame for putting such a shit undercard on 151.  But they tried to salvage the card.  And it doesn't change the fact that Jones' actions are bullshit.

Weak undercards are due to having too many shows. It's not Jones' fault, I don't blame him for not taking a fight that has no upside for him. I would think twice about my boss asking me to do something on very short notice that could damage my earning power or career
itm

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1203 on: August 24, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »
Unfortunate situation but I don't believe fighters should be forced to take very late notice fights without preparation. If they are willing to do it then props on them but I understand a person not wanting to do that. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1204 on: August 24, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Greg Jackson didn’t think Jon Jones should accept a short-notice bout against Chael Sonnen, and the trainer hasn’t changed his view despite strong criticism from UFC President Dana White.

“When it was brought to me, it was a question of, ‘Do you think we should fight Chael Sonnen on basically three days’ notice?’ The fight week doesn’t count,” Jackson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Jordan Breen Show.” “It’s not eight days’ notice. You’re not training and preparing for somebody on that week. You’re cutting weight and doing the media and basically not training at all. You get like 15 minutes. So that was the question that was asked -- ‘Should we fight somebody at Sonnen’s level with three days’ notice? -- and as a trainer I thought absolutely not. I didn’t know that like an entire card was in the balance or anything like that. [Jones] came to me as a trainer and asked me a question, and I advised Jon and I stand by that.”

Jones had been scheduled to fight Dan Henderson on Sept. 1 in the UFC 151 main event. However, Henderson suffered a partial MCL tear. Sonnen, a training partner, agreed to replace him, but Jones declined the bout and the UFC cancelled the event. White blamed Jackson for Jones’ decision, calling the trainer a “sport killer” and adding that he shouldn’t be interviewed by anyone other than a psychiatrist.

“I was asked an opinion,” Jackson said. “I gave it. I gave my advice. I still think that it’s a valid opinion. Again, I’m not a promoter, so I don’t have to deal with the things [he] deals with. I guess part of that is, he’s in his world and I’m kind of in my world. Our worlds are very much the same. We do do a lot of fights in his organization, but he comes at it from he’s got a lot of people to take care of. … He’s also a very passionate guy. I come at it from I want my guys to win as quickly as possible and I want them to be smart in there and treat it as a sport. I guess that the conflict comes there. We just have different personality types. I’m no good at talking bad about people. I never really have been.”

Jackson said he didn’t know the event would be cancelled if Jones declined to fight Sonnen, but that he still stood by his opinion.

“[Sonnen] knows what he’s doing, and obviously he’s been training with Dan Henderson, so he’s been right there in the entire camp helping him get ready for Jones,” Jackson said. “I know he’s in good shape, and it just didn’t seem to me like a smart thing to do on three days’ notice, to fight somebody of that caliber. I feel that it’s a professional sport and it’s the world championship. Fighting somebody on three days’ notice is not something Jon needs to do. That was my opinion, and it still is today. I won’t change it or turn it around. There’s a lot of people that think Jon could blow Chael out of the water, and maybe he could, but preparing for somebody for a world title on three days’ notice, for me, is not something that’s wise.”

Getting on White’s bad side might not be wise either, but Jackson is hoping there won’t be any repercussions for him or his camp because he gave Jones honest advice.

“I gave my two cents,” he said. “I gave my opinion. If Dana hates me because of that, then there’s nothing I can do about it. I certainly hope he doesn’t punish other people because that’s the way I feel about it. I think he’s a better guy than that, but I have no idea. At this point I’m a little taken aback by the whole thing.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Greg-Jackson-It-Was-a-Valid-Opinion-45135
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:38:01 PM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1205 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
Hey, wow. Greg Jackson sounds more reasonable, level-headed, and clear-thinking than Dana. :feignedshock

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1206 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
Quote from: Boogie
Yes, the UFC is to blame for putting such a shit undercard on 151.  But they tried to salvage the card.  And it doesn't change the fact that Jones' actions are bullshit.

Weak undercards are due to having too many shows. It's not Jones' fault, I don't blame him for not taking a fight that has no upside for him. I would think twice about my boss asking me to do something on very short notice that could damage my earning power or career

I blame Jones because it's an easy win.  He turned down an easy fight.  Quite possibly the most talented fighter of our generation, a man people are saying could end up moving up and becoming heavyweight champion, turned down a fight against a middleweight because he didn't have enough time to gameplan for him?  Absolutely ridiculous.

Unfortunate situation but I don't believe fighters should be forced to take very late notice fights without preparation. If they are willing to do it then props on them but I understand a person not wanting to do that.

And guess what?  Jones wasn't forced to fight anyone.  He was offered a fight, which he declined.  He is now taking, in my opinion, justly deserved shit for that decision.  But no one forced him to do anything.

Remember, folks, a year and a half ago, Jones tweeted that he had never turned down an opponent, and "never will."

If I was a Jones hater, you all could dismiss me.  But it's the opposite.  I was becoming a huuuuge Jones fan.

It all comes down to the culture of the sport.  MMA is a sport where one of the cardinal sins is to try and cherry-pick opponents, to turn down opponents.  That is something that the fans rarely forgive.  I would imagine it has to do with the sport's tournament style roots.

Can you imagine Jones in the days of UFC tournaments?  Or later Pride tournaments.

"Sorry, I can't participate in these tournaments.  I won't have ninety days to gameplan for my second round opponent."

The legends of MMA were made in tournaments which either occurred all in one night, or at least had multiple rounds in one night.  Jones has proved that he never would have been cut out for that legacy with his decision.
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1207 on: August 26, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
I typed up a longer response to this and my fucking computer crashed so this is the shorter version.

Not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion Boogie. It's just that I don't come from that era of fandom for MMA where people fought injured and fought multiple times in a night. So I share no affection for that age or that type of attitude towards the sport. There is a sort of machoness that certain mma fans want from the sport that I don't really have. All I want is for the best fighter and the best gameplan to win when two good fighters fight each other. If its a serious title fight I like the idea of people having enough time to feel comfortable to come up with the correct strategy to fight another opponent. And if they are signing contracts to such a thing I even more especially feel that way.

Skidmark

« Reply #1208 on: August 30, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
I just started MMA and had my first workout session last night. MMA is so much more fun when you practice it yourself especially with friends and a whole gym with like minded people. I do not think I have ever gotten that sweaty. We were all literally dripping sweat half way through the workout. At the end, we got to roll around with the experienced fighter and it was impossible to do anything with your feet, kind of like wrestling on a water slide.

The guy that i rolled around with was so fucking good, when i noticed that he has my wrist and i tried to defend it i give him my neck, when i defend my neck i realized he got my back, when i defend my back i find out he has a foot lock. He even looked like Anderson Silva. He had control over me the entire time and i was wrestling him, pushing him off me, sweeping him with all my might but with no success. I possessed no threat to him what so ever but i at least was able to defend some of his attacks/advances/submissions thanks to Joe Rogan.

Yeah and my overweight friend choked me out simply by laying on top of me from side control and shoving his forearm down on my throat. I felt silly for tapping to that.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1209 on: August 30, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
Glad your overweight friend is trying something active; is he the guy from the other thread? If so, martial arts may give him some self-respect, start him on a path to healthiness.

Skidmark

« Reply #1210 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
Glad your overweight friend is trying something active; is he the guy from the other thread? If so, martial arts may give him some self-respect, start him on a path to healthiness.
Yeah it is him, I really liked that he didn't give a flying fuck about how he looked and just worked out with us. He is motivated and is planning to continue.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1211 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
That's great!

Physical exertion releases endorphins; he may become inclined to work out just for the rush.

Glad to hear you had a good time as well.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1212 on: October 07, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »

:yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1213 on: October 14, 2012, 12:31:21 AM »
 :lol

If you're watching, you know what I'm talking about.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1214 on: October 14, 2012, 01:09:20 AM »
silva has to fight jones

HAS TO

COME ON

PLEASE
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1215 on: October 14, 2012, 01:20:21 AM »
Neither guy wants to fight each other. The GSP fight is much more likely although I'm pretty sure GSP isn't too keen on doing that one so who knows if it will ever happen either.

For what its worth I think Jones would smash Anderson simply because he's too big and strong and athletic. Which is to take nothing away from Silva.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1216 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1217 on: October 14, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
Neither guy wants to fight each other. The GSP fight is much more likely although I'm pretty sure GSP isn't too keen on doing that one so who knows if it will ever happen either.

For what its worth I think Jones would smash Anderson simply because he's too big and strong and athletic. Which is to take nothing away from Silva.

I know the reasons why they won't. YOU ALWAYS WANT WHAT YOU CAN'T HAVE

I think Jones is too big as well, but I want to see him prove it. Ughhhh
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1218 on: October 14, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »
I think you do the Silva versus GSP super fight first and if Silva wins that then basically you offer so much money for the Jones Silva superfight that they would kinda have to be crazy to turn it down. I think that's the only potential way it could happen.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1219 on: October 14, 2012, 01:51:39 AM »
I think you do the Silva versus GSP super fight first and if Silva wins that then basically you offer so much money for the Jones Silva superfight that they would kinda have to be crazy to turn it down. I think that's the only potential way it could happen.

Do people still talk about Silva-GSP? I guess it might start up again if he beats Condit.

Silva isn't exactly getting any younger, though. :(
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1220 on: October 14, 2012, 01:57:52 AM »
The casual public has moved on to Jones versus Silva but that's partially due to GSP being out of the public eye for so long with the injury. He's back next month when he defends against condit. Silva is also far more open to that fight (let's be honest because he has a much better shot at winning it). GSP has historically shown far less interest in it, but if Dana wheels up the money truck, he might be a company man for a catch-weight fight.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1221 on: October 14, 2012, 02:03:40 AM »
The casual public has moved on to Jones versus Silva but that's partially due to GSP being out of the public eye for so long with the injury. He's back next month when he defends against condit. Silva is also far more open to that fight (let's be honest because he has a much better shot at winning it). GSP has historically shown far less interest in it, but if Dana wheels up the money truck, he might be a company man for a catch-weight fight.

As usual, you are the voice of reason.
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1222 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:10 AM »
The problem is I think Silva is getting close to quitting and really is starting to want to look at shaping his legacy. And he's probably not too fond of the idea of going out and getting wrecked by a young lion like Jon Jones.

Skidmark

« Reply #1223 on: October 14, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
Jon Fitch and Damian Maia are some of my favorite fighters and I'm happy to see them put on such good fights and win.

Fabio Maldonado took a beating so bad I was close to turning off the tv. The guy just doesn't want to get knocked out.

Maddog got robbed big time, he was chasing christiano for two and a half rounds and got take downs and everything.

Big Nogs fight was boring and Herman was as dumb as he looks. If your opponent is slow you should capitalize on speed to gain control of the range, not stand still and stretch your arm out.

And as always, I feel stupid for believing that someone had a chance against Anderson Silva. I am actually happy to see some of the Brazilians lose because the butt hurt crowd was booing every non-Brazilian.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1224 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »
Pretty sure MMA "fans" are among the worst in any sport. This guy has been fighting for 15 years, has not only cleaned out his division in the UFC but was also considered a top 3 170-pounder A DECADE AGO -- which, by the way, makes the already meaningless "Where was Anderson when he was Jon Jones' age?" career comparisons all the more idiotic -- and is rapidly approaching middle age and the twilight of his career. NO SHIT he's going to balk at the prospect of moving up in weight to fight Jones, who is 25, has the frame of a HW and a distinct size and strength advantage over most natural LHWs, and could very well go on to supplant Anderson/GSP/whoever as the most dominant fighter the sport has seen. Bonnar is a scrub for sure, and a win over him is clearly not a career-defining moment, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate Anderson's performance in a just-another-notch-in-his-belt kind of way, much like with BJ/Pulver 2, or BJ/Stevenson, or BJ/Diego, or GSP/Hardy, or GSP/Koscheck 2, or Fedor/Coleman 2, or Fedor/Sylvia, or whatever gimme fights Jones will inevitably have throughout his career.

That said, I would love to see Jones/Silva, but I have Jones ragdolling Silva.

Miscellaneous thoughts!

-Fitch on the winning end of an entertaining fight? What?
-Was hoping Big Nog would retire last night. He's right on the threshold of a Liddell-esque crash-and-burn career end.
-Glover/Maldonado was brutal. I actually welcomed the doctor stoppage.

I'm a little bored with MMA in general lately, to be honest
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:41:36 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1225 on: October 16, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
or whatever gimme fights Jones will inevitably have throughout his career.

AHEM

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jon-Jones-Chael-Sonnen-to-Coach-TUF-17-on-FX-Prior-to-April-27-Title-Bout-on-PPV-46571

I wouldn't even care if this were not a TUF fight.

:piss TUF :piss2
hi5

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1226 on: October 18, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »
The tyranny of the masses. In no way does Sonnen deserve this shot over some other people. But "people" want to see it so that's what we're getting.

Skidmark

« Reply #1228 on: November 06, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1229 on: November 06, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
 :lol

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1230 on: November 07, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
:rofl Everything wrong with TUF and MMA bro culture summed up in a 30-second clip.

Btw, looks like Anderson/GSP is happening: http://www.bjpenn.com/dana-white-says-yes-anderson-silva-will-challenge-georges-st-pierre-following-ufc-154-ufc-news/
hi5

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1231 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
So no one cares about this thread anymore, right?

I thought about posting after the GSP UFC event, but never bothered.

But now, holy shit.

I went back and skimmed the GAF thread BECAUSE I FUCKING FELL ASLEEP ON MY COUCH AND MISSED THE FIGHT and Ninja Scooter fucking killed me.

"Paq just becamse the new Coli dead smiley " :lol
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1232 on: December 09, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »
Was too busy playing Black ops to watch the UFC event or PAC being destroyed.

cool breeze

« Reply #1233 on: December 09, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
large gifs
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

I don't know if there are more angles of it.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1234 on: December 09, 2012, 11:43:08 PM »
I always get the weirdest boners whenever BJ Penn or a Diaz brother catches a beating...
MMA

Beezy

« Reply #1235 on: December 09, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »
I love what this has spawned. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1236 on: December 10, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
I always get the weirdest boners whenever BJ Penn or a Diaz brother catches a beating...

The Diaz brothers are brainless thugs who unconsciously sabotage themselves due to a low self esteem issue common to all playground bullies. People like them are the reason I learned how to fight; I constantly feel lucky that I didn't get into some weird Kobra Kai dojo which would have turned me into a bully with a sense of entitlement and power, but no control.

I don't get your BJ Penn dislike though, other than he's kind of a whiner.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1237 on: March 13, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

First Fight with a compelling backstory probably since Silva Sonnen.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1238 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
Diaz is such a self-victimizing train wreck. I hope GSP gives him new reasons to implode.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1239 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
I'm not gonna go as far as GAF or the Shertards in the GSP hate but I won't be shedding any tears if he takes an ass whooping.

Diaz by punches -> gogoplata a la Diaz/Gomi baby.

In my dreams. GSP by five rounds of uneventful grapplefucking. GSP will beg the crowd for forgiveness and maybe talk more about the empty space between his ears, and Nick will have another I'M distinguished mentally-challenged/RETIRING meltdown. Maybe Dana will fuck Hendricks over again and announce Maia as GSP's next opponent.
[close]
hi5

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1240 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:25 PM »
I'm not gonna go as far as GAF or the Shertards in the GSP hate but I won't be shedding any tears if he takes an ass whooping.

Diaz by punches -> gogoplata a la Diaz/Gomi baby.

In my dreams. GSP by five rounds of uneventful grapplefucking. GSP will beg the crowd for forgiveness and maybe talk more about the empty space between his ears, and Nick will have another I'M distinguished mentally-challenged/RETIRING meltdown. Maybe Dana will fuck Hendricks over again and announce Maia as GSP's next opponent.
[close]

I fully admit I want Diaz to win. I like him despite him being an idiot.

That being said no way in the world it happens. GSP is way too good and smart a fighter to lose to Diaz.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1241 on: March 17, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »
Well this was a pointless fight to no one's surprise.

:piss2

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1242 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:08 AM »
And its over. Thank God.

:piss

It was a typical GSP fight.

GSP was utterly dominant. The fight was incredibly boring. And it goes 5 rounds and to a decision. (GSP hasn't finished anybody since BJ Penn back in 2009)

I don't know. I don't think he should be forced into a superfight with Anderson Silva if he doesn't want it and it certainly seems like he doesn't want it but its the only interesting fight they could make for GSP imo. The welterweight division is utterly & clearly cleaned out and boring. Johny hendricks you say? Please. Does anyone really want to see that fight.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:50:51 AM by Stoney Mason »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1243 on: March 17, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »
One more notch in the belt. Boogie found passed out in a puddle of his own love juice ;)

The Anderson fight makes the most sense for the UFC and for the fans, but he's not even going to be available until the tail-end of the year after his fight with Weidman, and they already screwed Hendricks out of a title shot once. I don't see Hendricks having much more then a puncher's chance but that's probably a better chance than GSP's last few opponents have had.

asdfasfasaghhhhhhhhhhhhhh goddamnit GSP
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:39:42 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1244 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
No more fucking gimmick Chael Sonnen fights ever please. What a fucking waste of time.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1245 on: April 28, 2013, 12:32:20 AM »
Jones injured his toe apparently. Some people are saying it happened in a post fight in the ring celebration. So now he's probably on the shelf for awhile , all for this stupid fight.

edit: they showed it happen. Apparently it occurred when Jon was leveraging himself during the fight. 

:nsfw
[close]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:58:08 AM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1246 on: April 28, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »
WHY DID I CLICK THAT?!?!  :yuck

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1247 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »
WHY DID I CLICK THAT?!?!  :yuck

[close]

Click this one.

:crazybron

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1248 on: April 28, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
After surgery

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1249 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
Good as new?

One of the teachers at my dojo has this problem, and it keeps recurring. I worry for Jon Jones' future in the sport. Maybe he can join PRIDE DREAM WHATEVER FC, where he can wear wrestling shoes to keep his foot together.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1250 on: July 06, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
Big fight tonight.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1251 on: July 06, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »
C'mon Weidman, end Silva's reign....

(I don't really have faith that he will end Silva's reign.)
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1252 on: July 06, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »
I'm surprised by how many people call still call Silva a fraud. Good fucking lord. Good lookin card tonight though.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1253 on: July 06, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
I'm surprised by how many people call still call Silva a fraud

The world is full of idiots.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1254 on: July 06, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
anyone haz stream? firstrowsports is garbage

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1255 on: July 06, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
nat

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1256 on: July 06, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »
nice. danke

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1257 on: July 07, 2013, 12:31:59 AM »
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
nat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1258 on: July 07, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »
Anderson got cute and got caught.  :-\

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1259 on: July 07, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
well i fell asleep and woke up to my wife going "HOLY SHIT"

oops

edit: replay is what
:what :what :what
[close]
pcp