Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2066089 times)

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #1680 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Like how Hank was staring at something on the wall at the San Ysidro DEA office?
dap

etiolate

« Reply #1681 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
I forget that part. =|

What I do love is Hank's nods to his own sophistication.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #1682 on: November 03, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »
I forget that part. =|

What I do love is Hank's nods to his own sophistication.

:lol me too. "it's an ecclesial delight!"
dap

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1683 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
PD should be watching Terriers right now. And you're right, etiolate. Procedural is just a lazy way of describing it.
AMC

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1684 on: November 03, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »
The Terriers is probably like the best parts of Monk and Sons of Anarchy mashed together.  Or at least it seems like anybody I know who likes those shows likes Terriers.  All I know is it's horrible when you catch up on a show like that and then have to wait until every goddamn wednesday to see a new episode.

BTW, what does the name mean?  Is it a region or a job or does it just mean the type of dog?

I must say one thing about Terriers that really pissed me off. And it pissed me off because I love these characters SOOOO much.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Katie and the Professor
[close]

I liked that part, it was handled really well in that episode and the next one (last week).  It's definitely setting up something in the future but I agree with etiolate that I totally didn't see it coming.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1685 on: November 03, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
It's not "procedural", but them being PIs allows for cases of the week which can or can't be at the forefront of the episode - and aren't a self-contained "mystery" to be solved in 44 minutes. It just doesn't work like that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:17:26 PM by Mamacint »
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1686 on: November 03, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
BTW, what does the name mean?  Is it a region or a job or does it just mean the type of dog?
I know nothing official, but I think it's about how they're kinda the scrappy underdogs like the as named terriers
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1687 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:32 AM »
PD should be watching Terriers right now. And you're right, etiolate. Procedural is just a lazy way of describing it.

I still gotta watch the last ep of Boardwalk Empire, and I want to see Walking Dead. Hmmm I'll watch Terriers this weekend

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1688 on: November 04, 2010, 01:28:44 AM »
I watched three episodes of Terriers like a month ago and really liked but wasn't blown away by it like some of you guys, gonna download the rest of the episodes tomorrow and watch some of then before the new Fringe :hyper
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1689 on: November 04, 2010, 03:57:29 AM »
It's a really character driven show, I loved it from the first episode though and I don't know if you have, but definitely watch it in order.  You will be very lost otherwise.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #1690 on: November 04, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Hank really puts Jason through his paces, doesn't he? I feel bad for the both of them.
dap

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1691 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
I don't trust Jason whatsoever.  Even if he supposedly did admit everything to Gretchen, a person doesn't recover from being involved in abuse like that, even if he wasn't physically involved in it.  I think he's going to come back and try to hurt Hank somehow.
[close]

etiolate

« Reply #1692 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »
“The life of a cheeseburger ho isn’t all private jets and gallery openings.”

I hope Michaela comes back.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #1693 on: November 05, 2010, 03:15:05 AM »
Just watched Walking Dead. Fucking awesome. In for the HD season pass on iTunes.
CBG

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1694 on: November 05, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »
Still catching up on Fringe. Watched disc 3 of S2. What an incredible bunch of episodes.

"White Tulip" is probably one of the best hours of television ever, holy shit.
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1695 on: November 05, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »
So Cajole, in all your infinite wisdom and good taste, do you think I'll like Fringe?  I watched the pilot when it first aired and I didn't care for it.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1696 on: November 05, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »
If you didn't like the pilot, I wouldn't say to make it a priority. It gets better, but there are a lot of mediocre monster of the week episodes packed in there. Do you have any love for sci-fi in general?
AMC

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #1697 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
the internet tells me it's a poor man's x-files
zzz

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1698 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
If you didn't like the pilot, I wouldn't say to make it a priority. It gets better, but there are a lot of mediocre monster of the week episodes packed in there. Do you have any love for sci-fi in general?
I want to say yes, but I always find most of the sci fi shit spewed like at GAF to be fucking terrible so I've been questioning it for awhile.  I don't know if I'm just picky or if GAF has really bad taste.

Diunx

« Reply #1699 on: November 06, 2010, 12:44:56 AM »
Last Fringe was great.
Drunk

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1700 on: November 06, 2010, 01:26:31 AM »
After the end of last season and five solid episodes this season, it feels like it's a totally different show. I thought the pilot was pretty lame, and the show didn't really grab me until the S1 finale. It's consistently good to great lately

I want to say yes, but I always find most of the sci fi shit spewed like at GAF to be fucking terrible so I've been questioning it for awhile.  I don't know if I'm just picky or if GAF has really bad taste.
See the addendum for new viewers bit toward the bottom of this recap. Seems like a pretty solid list. Maybe try another couple and then bail if you're not feeling it at all
hi5

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1701 on: November 06, 2010, 04:00:09 AM »
After the end of last season and five solid episodes this season, it feels like it's a totally different show. I thought the pilot was pretty lame, and the show didn't really grab me until the S1 finale. It's consistently good to great lately

See the addendum for new viewers bit toward the bottom of this recap. Seems like a pretty solid list. Maybe try another couple and then bail if you're not feeling it at all

Yeah, this is great advice.

:bow AV Club :bow2
AMC

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1702 on: November 08, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »
the internet tells me it's a poor man's x-files

The pilot and much of Season 1 is typical monster-of-the-week X-Files feeling. Not bad, just nothing different.

Not so much by of the end of Season 2. It's barely recognizable as X-Files at that point.

« Reply #1703 on: November 08, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »
Anyone else watching In Treatment? Just as good as ever.

I also did two years of counseling practicum (both individual and group counseling) during graduate school, so it's interesting to see everything I learned in action with both Gabriel Byrne and Amy Ryan's characters.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:36:33 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1704 on: November 08, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »
Going through Bored to Death, that show is fucking awesome. I reccomend it to everyone.
USA

Diunx

« Reply #1705 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
Boardwalk was sooooo good! can't wait till next Sunday :hyper

Just watched episode 5 of Terriers that shit was awesome!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:09:33 AM by Diunx »
Drunk

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1706 on: November 11, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »
Quite possibly the best episode of Always Sunny just aired. Lethal Weapon 5. Oh my God.
:9

Diunx

« Reply #1707 on: November 11, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
Just watched episode 10 of Terriers this show rocks! didn't hook me in until episode 4, I didn't even like Donal Logue until I saw this show he is awesome in it.

I hope it gets at least one more season :rock
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #1708 on: November 11, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
holy fuck. community, 30 rock AND sunny were on all cylinders tonight
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1709 on: November 12, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »
Community, Burn Notice, Office, Outsourced, Bones, Fringe, and It's Always Sunny are now on every Thursday.  goddamit.

more chocolate? :lol

Diunx

« Reply #1710 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »
Was I the only one that googled numbers stations after last night Fringe? :teehee
Drunk

cool breeze

« Reply #1711 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
Quite possibly the best episode of Always Sunny just aired. Lethal Weapon 5. Oh my Go.

that episode was great

I liked how concerned they were about playing a black character, but didn't care that Frank was playing a native american stereotype

and that sex scene was straight out of The Room

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1712 on: November 12, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
I heard about that leak, I'll just wait until I can watch it on HD on my big TV.

MKV->MP4 is a snap with Handbrake. Just set it to "high spec" and let her rip. Then drop it on a USB drive and play it from your PS3.

So I tried this once and it didn't work for whatever reason, so I got pissed and told myself just to stick to AVI.

But then I finished Fringe S2 and really couldn't imagine catching up with S3 not in HD, so I tried again.

It worked beautifully. :rock
AMC

« Reply #1713 on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
Quite possibly the best episode of Always Sunny just aired. Lethal Weapon 5. Oh my Go.

that episode was great

I liked how concerned they were about playing a black character, but didn't care that Frank was playing a native american stereotype

and that sex scene was straight out of The Room

Last night's Sunny was brilliant. The League was also on fire.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1714 on: November 12, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »
I'm watching Carnivale currently.  I just finished episode 4 of season 1 last night.  Man, I really like this show.  Pacing is a bit slow, but the show is interesting enough to keep me going.  It only has two seasons right?  I bought the first for 15 bucks from wal mart and they had the 2nd.  I'm thinking about going ahead and grabbing it tonight, but I wanna know, is there a real resolution to the story or did they just cancel it and the fans get the shaft?

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1715 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »
I'd always thought the later based on the small but vocal anger at it's cancellation - it's hard to investigate without getting spoilers though.

I actually own S2 - I saw it on sale for like 15 too. But the print for "Season 2" was so small I didn't even realize I was getting that and not the first season (I think I also thought it only got one season for some reason)

Edit: The wiki entry makes it sound like it was cut with things hanging, with 2 of 6 planned seasons made - and with just a few trickles about what would've been explored in the next seaons, but those stories sound forever untold.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:01:07 PM by Mamacint »
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1716 on: November 12, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
shit.  i'm going to be pissed if I get invested and there's no resolution.  at least give me a shitty one. 

could you do me a favor and watch the last episode of season 2 though?  then let me know if it seems to tie shit up.  thanks

joking just to be clear  :P
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1717 on: November 12, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
The cancellation resulted in several story plot lines being unfinished, and outraged loyal viewers organized petitions and mailing drives to get the show renewed.

I braved the spoilers and googled it.

Shit.  Apparently the main storyline of the first two seasons is resolved but there's tons of secondary stories that weren't.  A new main arc was going to be introduced in the third season and apparently would have required a season three and four.  But it was costing HBO 2 million dollars an episode and was too expensive.

He and the producers did, however, answer a few basic details about the immediate fate of major characters who were left in near-fatal situations in the final episode of Season 2. Knauf additionally provided in-depth information regarding the underlying fictional laws of nature that the writers had not been able to fully explore in the first two seasons. June 2007 however marked the first time that a comprehensive work of detailed character backgrounds was made public. Following a fundraising auction, Knauf offered fans a so-called "Pitch Document," a summary of Carnivāle's first season. This document was originally written in 2002 and 2003 to give the writers and the studio an idea about the series' intended plot, and answered many of the show's mysteries.[39]
SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT

okay i'm gonna be pissed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:59:47 PM by Mupepe »

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1718 on: November 12, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
Uhh, it's set during the dust bowl, that's like my favorite time period ever. How have I never watched this? Gonna torrent S1 ASAP, then unseal S2 after all this time. SO IT SHALL COME TO PASS
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1719 on: November 12, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »
dooooooo it.  it's really slow moving but there are some brilliant moments and it's beautifully shot.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1720 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
Say what you want, but I finally started watching Doctor Who today.  I'm just in to the second season.  Already, I think I like David Tennant more as the Doctor.
WTF

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1721 on: November 13, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »
God, I just watched 3 episodes of The League and I'm convinced this is the best comedy on television at the moment. More people need to check it out.

Diunx

« Reply #1722 on: November 13, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
When does the new season of Curb starts?
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1723 on: November 13, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
When does the new season of Curb starts?

I think next year? They only just started filming it, iirc.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1724 on: November 13, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
I'm watching Carnivale currently.  I just finished episode 4 of season 1 last night.  Man, I really like this show.  Pacing is a bit slow, but the show is interesting enough to keep me going.  It only has two seasons right?  I bought the first for 15 bucks from wal mart and they had the 2nd.  I'm thinking about going ahead and grabbing it tonight, but I wanna know, is there a real resolution to the story or did they just cancel it and the fans get the shaft?

Carnivāle Season 2 ends just fine. It's not a wrap-up, but it's a good ending. You'll wish there was more, but it's not like the ending of the Blade TV series where it's some miserable cliffhanger with no hope of resolution, ever.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1725 on: November 13, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
Say what you want, but I finally started watching Doctor Who today.  I'm just in to the second season.  Already, I think I like David Tennant more as the Doctor.

David Tennant is very good. I won't say a bad word against him. But Christopher Eccleston was something special to me. He brought a maturity and darkness to that role I really enjoyed. I'm not that much a fan of the current doctor.

Diunx

« Reply #1726 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »
I love Eccleston's voice, is so manly :heart
Drunk

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1727 on: November 14, 2010, 07:43:11 AM »
Eccleston wasn't bad at all.  Don't get me wrong.  I just like Tennant more for some reason.  I don't even know who the new doctor is now. 

Update, finished season 2 on Netflix while finishing out a shift tonight!
WTF

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1728 on: November 14, 2010, 09:11:35 AM »
This season of It's Always Sunny is SO bad.
zzzzz

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1729 on: November 15, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »

It's been going down hill for a while now.  I think they ran out of the ideas that made the show so originally funny.  They're just looking to get that shock factor, and they're trying way too hard for it.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1730 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »

Carnivāle Season 2 ends just fine. It's not a wrap-up, but it's a good ending. You'll wish there was more, but it's not like the ending of the Blade TV series where it's some miserable cliffhanger with no hope of resolution, ever.
I can live with that.  Thanks.   :)

Diunx

« Reply #1731 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
Damn Carol is one ugly ass bitch! she was suppose to be a milf :'( The Walking Dead just keeps being disappointing, at least this episode was much better than 2, and why the fuck did that redneck cut off his hand instead of the rusty pipes that the cuffs where attached to?

Boardwalk on the other hand was fucking awesome! especially the ending :o
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1732 on: November 15, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
Damn Carol is one ugly ass bitch! she was suppose to be a milf :'( The Walking Dead just keeps being disappointing, at least this episode was much better than 2, and why the fuck did that redneck cut off his hand instead of the rusty pipes that the cuffs where attached to?
It was a steel pipe and he had a steel saw.  The saw was probably a more rigid steel but still.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1733 on: November 16, 2010, 01:46:54 AM »

Boardwalk on the other hand was fucking awesome! especially the ending :o

Because he was a dumb-ass redneck? ???

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1734 on: November 18, 2010, 04:14:46 AM »

It's been going down hill for a while now.  I think they ran out of the ideas that made the show so originally funny.  They're just looking to get that shock factor, and they're trying way too hard for it.

Agreed.

Last episode did have one awesome quote though.
‎"In the Lord of the Rings movie, Ian McKellen plays a wizard. You think he goes home at night and shoots laser beams into his boyfriend's asshole?"
zzzzz

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1735 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »
Everyone who is tired of Sunny should watch The League instead. It isn't as zany as Sunny is now.

Robo

« Reply #1736 on: November 18, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »
watching Twin Peaks again after Alan Wake put me in the mood for it.  I will never get tired of swooning over Sherilyn Fenn. :heartbeat
obo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1737 on: November 19, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
No-one should ever grow tired of swooning over Sherilyn Fenn. She was such a good, good bad girl.

I've been meaning to rewatch Twin Peaks for a long time. I used to own the Japanese laserdisc set. Dragged them back to the USA in 1994. When I moved /back/ to Japan again, I figured it would be a foolishness to drag them back again, so I sold them to Amoeba. Now there are DVDs at the rental place just waiting for me, but I've not yet taken the plunge.

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #1738 on: November 19, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
i never got past episode 2 or 3 of the second season. i did quite like, though. i might get back into it next month or so.

and yeah, sherilyn fenn. :drool she looked pretty good in s2 of californication.
zzz

Diunx

« Reply #1739 on: November 19, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »

FUCK YEAH MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!

Man Crixus looks BADASS!!!! this is gonna be awesome :rock
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:02:46 PM by Diunx »
Drunk