Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2066502 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #1800 on: December 02, 2010, 02:30:53 AM »
Also, how come no Rubicon love?  C'mon, people!

Well, it might have to do with it being cancelled.

I'm just surprised that nobody had mentioned it since June, and I think literally no one posted about having actually watched the show.

Not the absolute best show, but very good especially if you dig slow-burn spy stuff, with a lot of good acting, and one character (Kale Ingram) who's such a badass he might as well be on The Wire.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1801 on: December 02, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »
I would've loved to have seen a second season of Rubicon. I watched it from the start and while I may have had some problems with it it was never the slow-burn nature of the show. If anything I think that actually masked some of the writing stuggles. Everything was so well acted and produced (and yes bow down to Kale), I loved it but week after week I just kept wanting better of it. I think a second season could've ironed some of the rough patches out.

Also: IF YOU ARE NOT WATCHING TERRIERS YOU ARE A BAD PERSON AND YOUR PET AND/OR GRANDMA DESERVE BAD THINGS
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:22:16 AM by Mamacint »
___

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1802 on: December 02, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
If they don't renew Terriers that final scene is gonna become legendary in a couple of years when everyone realize what an amazing show this was, great finale :bow2
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #1803 on: December 02, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »
I watched Rubicon. AMC should give it another chance.
IYKYK

« Reply #1804 on: December 02, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
Chase Utley is on Sunny tonight. Hopefully there's a reference to Mac's letter from last season.

野球

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #1805 on: December 03, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
Hubs watched Rubicon while I was busy with other things, but I caught a few episodes. It's usually not the type of show I'd be into, but it really is great. He loved it. I'll break it to him tonight, or maybe tomorrow so he doesn't take off work tomorrow due to :gloomy

I don't know though. He made me fall asleep watching Ancient Aliens last night and I couldn't find the remote, so I might tell him that's cancelled too and just completely destroy him in one blow. It'll feed into his need for conspiracy theory when he figures out it's still airing in a few months and the whole thing was fishy.
(|)

Diunx

« Reply #1806 on: December 03, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »
Fringe :omg
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #1807 on: December 03, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
How was sunny last night? I wanna catch up but the latest eps aren't on the website :maf
IYKYK

« Reply #1808 on: December 03, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »
I DVR'd it, but haven't watched yet.
野球

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1809 on: December 05, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
How was sunny last night? I wanna catch up but the latest eps aren't on the website :maf

It was okay. The lot lizard part was funny. The rest was mostly average.

The office was actually funny this week which is becoming increasingly rare.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1810 on: December 05, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »
hi5

etiolate

« Reply #1811 on: December 06, 2010, 04:11:38 AM »
I'm behind on Terriers, as I just watched Quid Quo Pro, but holy fuck.

Beezy

« Reply #1812 on: December 06, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
Can't wait for season 2 of Boardwalk Empire.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1813 on: December 06, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
Terriers is dead

Fuck you, PD
AMC

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #1814 on: December 06, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
Terriers is dead

Fuck you, PD

Bunch of fucking bullshit.

Rivals Freaks & Geeks for best one-and-done ever.

I'm heartbroken.
dap

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1815 on: December 06, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
Everyone keeps mentioning F&G -- I definitely feel Terriers was a better, more cohesive first season. It was close to perfection. Every single episode was great, and it only ramped up as the season went along.
AMC

Diunx

« Reply #1816 on: December 06, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
Terriers is dead

Fuck you, PD

:'(

Enjoying Scrubs PD? :punch
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1817 on: December 06, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
watching The Twilight Zone from episode 1.  Finished the first disc last night. 

also re-watching the simpsons on my commute from season 2.  about halfway through with that
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1818 on: December 06, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
Terriers probably got cancelled because it's called "Terriers." The image it calls to mind is Cesar Millan's The Tiny Dog Whisperer.

I'll probably get around to watching it eventually, but it's perhaps the worst possible name for a neo-noir TV series. I spent most of the past view months visualizing it as dog-based reality television every time it got mentioned, and it's only now that it's cancelled and people are so in love with it I'm finally taking notice.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
sorry it got cancelled, guys :( I know how much that sucks :'(
[close]
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1819 on: December 06, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »
Terriers is dead

Fuck you, PD

:'(

Enjoying Scrubs PD? :punch

Pretty good. Does Terriers have anyone as hot as Elliot?  :-*

Robo

« Reply #1820 on: December 06, 2010, 03:54:55 PM »
Yes - the dog.
obo

etiolate

« Reply #1821 on: December 06, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »
Maybe they should try re-airing Terriers in a few weeks to see if people watch. I'm starting to think canceling a show might be one of the better PR stunts for the current populace.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1823 on: December 06, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
Didn't FX basically come out earlier this year and say that they wanted to dumb down their programming and appeal to more viewers or something to that effect? Or was it AMC?
hi5

Solo

« Reply #1824 on: December 06, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
That was indeed FX.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #1825 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
And yet at the same time, the president of FX said:

"it had a subtle charm that kind of crept into your psyche over time...I don't know if subtlety is something the American public is buying in droves," he added. "When I look at 'Jersey Shore' and the Kardashians and 'Sons of Anarchy' and 'Walking Dead'... I wouldn't say that subtlety and nuance describes the most successful kind of pop content in America today."

as well as

He sang the show's praises consistently, calling it "a credit to FX" during its time on the air, and responding to a critic's question about proposed tweaks for a second season by saying, "I don't think you could make 'Terriers' much better."

dap

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1826 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
Maybe they should try re-airing Terriers in a few weeks to see if people watch. I'm starting to think canceling a show might be one of the better PR stunts for the current populace.
Nah, I'm not going to bet on that just to have my hopes crushed again.  The show is done and I'm actually fine with it as long as the people involved get more work.  At least the show didn't leave any loose ends.

Diunx

« Reply #1827 on: December 06, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »
Hahaha he put The walking dead and Jersey shore on the same level? :bow John Landgraf :bow2
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1828 on: December 06, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »

"it had a subtle charm that kind of crept into your psyche over time...I don't know if subtlety is something the American public is buying in droves," he added. "When I look at 'Jersey Shore' and the Kardashians and 'Sons of Anarchy' and 'Walking Dead'... I wouldn't say that subtlety and nuance describes the most successful kind of pop content in America today."

as well as

He sang the show's praises consistently, calling it "a credit to FX" during its time on the air, and responding to a critic's question about proposed tweaks for a second season by saying, "I don't think you could make 'Terriers' much better."

Seriously this man is brilliant.
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1829 on: December 07, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »

as well as

this dude is trolling Cajole hard

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1830 on: December 07, 2010, 12:42:48 AM »
Meant to watch Terriers but never got around to it. I'll download the full season this weekend maybe.

Unfortunate but it happens. Good shows get cancelled. Although its better than in the past where you at least have a few channels committed to quality TV.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1831 on: December 07, 2010, 03:30:22 AM »

as well as

this dude is trolling Cajole hard

I agree with him? And S3 of SoA wasn't really good.
AMC

Diunx

« Reply #1832 on: December 08, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
I'm watching The Pillars of the Earth rigth now, I had no idea that there were pigs with fur.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #1833 on: December 08, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
List all the best tv shows from this decade.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #1834 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »
The Wire
Arrested Development
Fringe
New Doctor Who
Spartacus Blood and Sand
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Extras
Terriers
Pushing Daisys
True Blood
Being Human
Drunk

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1835 on: December 09, 2010, 03:29:04 AM »
Watched all of Children of Earth today....

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME
[close]
WTF

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1836 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
The Wire
Arrested Development
Fringe
New Doctor Who
Spartacus Blood and Sand
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Extras
Terriers
Pushing Daisys
True Blood
Being Human

+
Rome
Deadwood
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
S1 Veronica Mars
Sopranos
not Spartacus (but it was fun)
The Shield
Flight of the Conchords

Honorable mentions:
House
Burn Notice
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:43:21 PM by Mamacint »
___

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1837 on: December 09, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »
All those (well, the ones I've seen)
+
Peep Show
Chappelle's Show
Venture Bros
The Office UK
S2 The Office US
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1838 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »
I wish I was never convinced to restart the season after stopping near the beginning. Show is so fucking done.
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1839 on: December 13, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
Did they really make Julia Stiles a permanent character?  I still plan on watching it during the Christmas break, but man that's a turn off like a motherfucker.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1840 on: December 13, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
Julia Stiles is not a permanent character.  Why don't you like her?

The season finale of Dexter was a huge let down. They had so much suspense and issues for Dexter and the other main characters to deal with and everything was swept under the rug and taken care of. Before last night's episode it was probably one of the best seasons, but such a weak ending! It was like it turned the whole season into an encapsulated episode, everything just went back to the way it was in the first episode of this season. Someone pussied out on this thing.

I really liked the finale but I don't know what you were expecting.

If they were going to go out and reveal everything about Dexter's vigilante lifestyle to his family, then it would have been the last season.  Then they would have been hyping it up since before the season even started as the last season so that you know that the finale is going to have something huge.  Remember, you would have no idea that Dexter's life could have come this close to being turned upside down if you didn't see the second to last episode.  I liked this finale since I didn't expect it to deviate from the formula.  Writers can't throw that big of a curveball (that essentially ends the show) without the marketing people hyping it up so it met my expectation for setting up a new season of Dexter.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:46:43 PM by am nintenho »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1841 on: December 14, 2010, 09:36:12 AM »
Stiles was pretty consistently wooden, stilted, etc

Anyway

This show is just disgustingly predictable and stale now. I'm legitimately done. I knew what was going to happen as soon as Deb walked in at the camp and I saw that Dexter and Lumen were behind that semi-transparent sheet, but that didn't make it any easier to swallow. Dexter waving a magic wand and making everyone forget about how all signs in Liddy's murder pointed to Quinn was another nice little bullshit cop-out. "Hey bro it looks like all his spy equipment was signed out in your name, you were ostensibly the last person to talk to him alive, and you asked for a fucking LAWYER as soon as you saw the crime scene, but the blood wasn't a match so it's all good." Really?

Oh yeah and fwiw, I think that they actually DID come out and say something about how this season was going to be just as game-changing as the last.

I'm just done. Done done done. This show has used up all of my good will and then some. How can this still be entertaining when you KNOW it's all going to wrap up so neatly for Dexter and clean the slate for next season's bullshit?
[close]

I never thought this was even worthy of being called a good season, though. For me it was like first 7 episodes = total ass -> next 3 episodes = interest finally growing, cautiously optimistic -> next 2 episodes = back to Shitsville
hi5

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1842 on: December 14, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
Because...
Stiles was pretty consistently wooden, stilted, etc

in every fucking thing she's in.  She's terrible and grating and I really don't know if I can watch 10 hours of her.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1843 on: December 14, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »

This show is just disgustingly predictable and stale now. I'm legitimately done. I knew what was going to happen as soon as Deb walked in at the camp and I saw that Dexter and Lumen were behind that semi-transparent sheet, but that didn't make it any easier to swallow. Dexter waving a magic wand and making everyone forget about how all signs in Liddy's murder pointed to Quinn was another nice little bullshit cop-out. "Hey bro it looks like all his spy equipment was signed out in your name, you were ostensibly the last person to talk to him alive, and you asked for a fucking LAWYER as soon as you saw the crime scene, but the blood wasn't a match so it's all good." Really?
[close]

Quinn can admit that he got the equipment for Liddy to spy on Dexter (since he already got caught asking about Kyle Butler and admitted to having suspicions about Dexter).  It was logical for him, innocent or not, to ask for a lawyer right when his boss notices blood on his shoes and he's getting them confiscated since he knows that there could be evidence putting him at the crime scene and that the blood may have even come from there.

I don't think they're done with this Liddy-Quinn situation though, it's not like Doakes where Dexter can just go back to doing his thing.  Quinn obviously knows that Dexter is doing something shady if Liddy got this hyped up to take him down and then ends up dead in his own surveillance van.  The question is how much of an active interest he will show in that.  That's probably one of the main arcs of next season.
[close]

It was a good season, at least if  you didn't expect to be surprised.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #1844 on: December 14, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
I just saw the Top Gear episode where he's driving the three-wheeled Reliant and almost shit myself laughing. That was AWESOME.
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

:rofl
CBG

« Reply #1845 on: December 14, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

ABC tried that with Sports Night back in the day... didn't work.
野球

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1846 on: December 14, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »
nvm

Bebpo

« Reply #1847 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
I don't watch much tv.  I watch occasional mini-series but the last time I watched a tv show was many many many years ago.  But over the last few months I decided to get back into tv and I watched Dexter S1, Arrested Development S1, and Walking Dead S1.  They were good, great, alright in that order.

Will probably watch Dexter S2, Arrested Development S2, Walking Dead S2 next :P

Diunx

« Reply #1848 on: December 14, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
Watch The Wire and Curb.
Drunk

Bebpo

« Reply #1849 on: December 14, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
The Wire, West Wing, Generation Kill, and Rome are next on my list after I catch up on Dexter/AD.  But considering it takes me about a month to go through a season of eps, just catching up on those two shows will probably be it for the next year.

Bebpo

« Reply #1850 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
Yeah I've heard similar from my underground sources.  So if I start getting bored in S2 I'll skip to S4.

archie4208

« Reply #1851 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
I powered through every season of Dexter in two weeks and enjoyed the whole thing.  I can see why people would hate the show, though.  It is kind of annoying that everything wraps up neat and tidy at the end of each season, but there is always some character development with Dexter that makes it worth watching.  Season 3 was the weakest, in my opinion.  My rating would be 4 (John Lithgow :bow2) > 1 > 5 > 2 > 3

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1852 on: December 14, 2010, 11:44:17 PM »
Watched the primary episodes from season 6 of Lost (It's now on Netflix streaming).  I understand it a little better now.
WTF

Robo

« Reply #1853 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
Season 4 was decent, but the show has never recovered from dropping a particular character at the end of season 2 (unnamed for spoilers).  There isn't a single other character in the series even remotely as entertaining - and the character brought on as the "replacement" is the worst offender - yet the showrunners continue to drag through their terrible subplots season after season in spite of seemingly universal opposition.
obo

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1854 on: December 15, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
Which season had that Cuba DA or whatever? That shit was terrible
Season 3.  It was simply passable.  Definitely my least favorite. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1855 on: December 16, 2010, 04:44:23 AM »
Double episode of Psych was awesome.  Sitcom Gus. :lol

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1856 on: December 24, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
I still have yet to watch the last couple episodes of Boardwalk Empire or Dexter...  It'll take a few days.
WTF

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1857 on: December 24, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
still haven't watched the Boardwalk finale. Too busy with Spartacus

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1858 on: December 24, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
I never made it past the first episode of Boardwalk. I watched the first one dazed with a fever and have them backlogged, but barely remember it now and I don't want to re-watch the 1st one yet am not ready for the following ones - I should get my ass in gear, or make sure to make that my TV fix until things pick up in January.

PD: Surprised you like Spartacus so soon, I watched it starting on Ep. 4 and it was a pretty laughable, but enjoyable guilty pleasure. I do admit that each episode seemed to build in quality but only ever rose to the level of surprisingly wonderful trash by the end. If you're already on board in the early episodes you got some good times ahead.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1859 on: December 24, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
I recognize it's trashy with some lol-worthy acting at times, but it's damn entertaining. John Hannah holds the show together imo; I love political intrique and backstabbing, especially set in medieval/fantasy times.