Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2100394 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12840 on: October 03, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
Luke Cage

Finished this up over the weekend. I really liked the first half of the show. As I mentioned, it reminded me quiet a bit of The Wire. Cottonmouth as a villain was immediately engaging in the same way Stringer Bell was engaging. It's not a perfect 1:1 obviously, but the influence is obvious to me.

Luke Cage felt like, what if Omar was bulletproof? Seeing Cage interfering with Cottonmouths criminal activity was super entertaining. Like, what is Cottonmouth gonna do?

Then we hit the midway of the show. It's a very clear and obvious pivot. Spoilers for the rest:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mariah kills Cottonmouth. It happens right after we get some kind of character development from him. I dont think Mariah is as compelling of a villain as Cottonmouth, nor do I think the actor is very good in this role. She gets better, slightly as things go one but the vacuum left behind is never really filled by someone as compelling. And it's not just Mariah. The reveal of Diamondback was subpar as was the reveal he's Cage's brother. I really rolled my eyes when that happened. I really didn't like the fact that Diamondback was around without any connection to Cage, then coincidentally they happen to meet again. It was awkward. Also Diamondback wasn't a very compelling villain either.
[close]

Beyond those specific things, the second half of the show just felt far more "Marvel Netflix" showy. Even with the standard slump 3/4ths of the way through.

So yeah, overall it's still good but they kinda botch things in the second half.
nat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12841 on: October 03, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12842 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:10 PM »
Yep. Westworld was great.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12843 on: October 04, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
Luke Cage is easily the best thing Marvel Studios have ever done. I fucking love it.

How far are you through it?
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12844 on: October 04, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
Luke Cage is easily the best thing Marvel Studios have ever done. I fucking love it.

How far are you through it?

Five episodes right now.

Ok, curious to know what you think after all is said and done. I thought the same thing at this point in watching it as well.
nat

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12845 on: October 04, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
Finished off episode six. Really digging everything but the music, which is really inappropriate sometimes. Adrian Younge is terrible imho

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12846 on: October 04, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »
Finished off episode six. Really digging everything but the music, which is really inappropriate sometimes. Adrian Younge is terrible imho

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12847 on: October 04, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
12 reasons to die sucks and that delfonics album isn't very good either :yeshrug

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12848 on: October 04, 2016, 04:05:57 PM »
Adrian Younge is pretty trash tho...but everything I've read about the show's music sounds great.

:rejoice
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12849 on: October 04, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
I mean the music is fine most of the time, though it's still the same rote throwback shit AY is known for, it's just completely out of place with certain scenes. Like I'm about 10 minutes into episode 8 right now and the music sounds like some straight up scooby doo shit.

:donot
[close]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:49:45 PM by seagrams hotsauce »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12850 on: October 04, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »
sounds good to me and that you need to bless up

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12851 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
It's easy to forget that some of the best songwriters in modern contemporary music history were writing for Motown, Stax, Gold World Records etc in the 1960s. I've never heard anyone perfectly replicate that sound. Younge's take on 60s soul/pop is often egregious to me due to how slow and airless his compositions are, plus the absence of memorable singers. Sometimes he knocks it out the park but usually I'm left very frustrated by his work. I can probably count the amount of songs I like of his on one or two hands. I like that calypso track he did on Kendrick's Untitled Unmastered album; Ali Shaheed Muhammad, who worked with Younge on Luke Cage's soundtrack, co-produced it. I like his sample on that Q track I posted too.

BTW he released an electronic album a few days ago that of course is "inspired" by 60s/70s electronic and synth music. I listened to a couple tracks and gave up. Same problem.
Apollo Brown's version of 12 Reasons To Die>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12852 on: October 04, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »
Music is fine and fits in with the blaxploitation tone. Licensed tracks are fucking great, btw. Some of my favorite soul tracks.

I think it's a little on the nose in that regard.

I'm probably coming across as overly critical though, it's a minor flaw and more just me being a pedant than a genuine complaint. I do think it's cool how they bring in actual artists into the club and like you said the tracks they use are great. Sidenote on the music; someone on twitter pointed out that he listens to a censored version of Bring Da Ruckus, which is a nice touch. The clean version of 36 Chambers also just skips it entirely so I like to imagine that at some point Luke figured out Audacity just so he could make his own radio edit

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #12853 on: October 05, 2016, 12:12:02 AM »
Last Man on Earth stays underrated. Every episode is so good. Only negative is January Jones.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12854 on: October 05, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
Stranger Things was just excellent. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12855 on: October 05, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
Westworld set up was really good, I hope the pay off is good too

Bebpo

« Reply #12856 on: October 05, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
I'm only 4 eps into Luke Cage, but did they basically change his comic book character into an MMO Paladin in the TV show?  He seems to be this holy warrior type guy now. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Beezy

« Reply #12858 on: October 05, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
damn :(

Dennis

« Reply #12859 on: October 05, 2016, 11:13:34 PM »
Finally got around to watching the first episode of Westworld.

Pretty damn good and much better than the reviews had me anticipating.

If it continues like this I am all aboard.

Some mysteries to keep you wanting more too.

Speculation:

Dolores is Yul Brynner.
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12860 on: October 06, 2016, 12:56:19 AM »
I'm just waiting for the inevitable moment you find out someone who you thought was human isn't

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12861 on: October 06, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
I'm just waiting for the inevitable moment you find out someone who you thought was human isn't
Psycho Ed Harris?  That's my guess.  He escaped and now he's back to play.
[close]

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12862 on: October 06, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
I like Westworld.  Much better than the boiled shit HBO has been pushing this year (Vinyl, High Maintenance)
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12863 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:25 PM »
Luke Cage :rejoice
püp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12864 on: October 07, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »
Disclaimer: I know the tv show isn't out yet and I'm reviewing something different and I haven't finished - I don't care

I started reading American Gods because I had always liked the premise and then when the tv show was announced it pushed me to actually read it.  I'm pretty let down so far.  I'm about halfway through and in some ways the writing is on par with a video game.  Shadow has to be one of the most dry and boring characters ever.  Gaiman throws out really good ideas and then fumbles them with some cringe worthy dialogue and YA novel tier prose.  I really hope the tv show can clean these parts up and do Gaiman's great ideas justice.

Edit: I'm also reading the 10th anniversary "preferred text" edition so I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12865 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »
Disclaimer: I know the tv show isn't out yet and I'm reviewing something different and I haven't finished - I don't care

I started reading American Gods because I had always liked the premise and then when the tv show was announced it pushed me to actually read it.  I'm pretty let down so far.  I'm about halfway through and in some ways the writing is on par with a video game.  Shadow has to be one of the most dry and boring characters ever.  Gaiman throws out really good ideas and then fumbles them with some cringe worthy dialogue and YA novel tier prose.  I really hope the tv show can clean these parts up and do Gaiman's great ideas justice.

Edit: I'm also reading the 10th anniversary "preferred text" edition so I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference.

I'll tell ya, I had pretty much the same reaction to Shadow, and was not bowled over by American Gods in general. It felt like a mediocre extension of the theistic theories he explored in Sandman, but without the compelling Endless characters around which to drape it. My best guess is that Shadow is an unlikely everyman on which the reader can project themselves. However Gaiman explores similar territory in the Neverwhere story to greater effect. Because Neverwhere's Richard is actually a character instead of a cipher.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #12866 on: October 07, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
The 2nd episode of Westworld is on HBO Now and Go and On-Demand and it's unsurprisingly really good.
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12867 on: October 07, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »

I'll tell ya, I had pretty much the same reaction to Shadow, and was not bowled over by American Gods in general. It felt like a mediocre extension of the theistic theories he explored in Sandman, but without the compelling Endless characters around which to drape it. My best guess is that Shadow is an unlikely everyman on which the reader can project themselves. However Gaiman explores similar territory in the Neverwhere story to greater effect. Because Neverwhere's Richard is actually a character instead of a cipher.
Yeah at first I thought Shadow was supposed to be a blank canvas to help you experience the story, but he writes in just enough personality that if that's what he was going for it's ineffective... especially in contrast with characters like Mr Wednesday who actually have a lot of charm.  So far the idea far exceed the execution.  It's the first thing I've read from him and might be the last.  Mirrormask was pretty awesome though so he'll always get a thumbs up for that.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12868 on: October 07, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12869 on: October 07, 2016, 08:27:56 PM »
Decided to binge Eastbound and Down.  Still a great show:

🍆🍆

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12870 on: October 07, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
I actually kinda like MacGyver. It's like a true remake, lots of the stuff is just as goofy as I remember the original series back as a kid only with cell phones and wifi and so on.

I'm not sure some of the methodology is as sound as the original though.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12871 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
Decided to binge Eastbound and Down.  Still a great show:

Haha thanks for linking that, god I love Eastbound.
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12872 on: October 08, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
Brooklyn Nine Nine is pretty damn good

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12874 on: October 09, 2016, 03:56:33 AM »
Old Boy hallway scene remake ?  :holeup
ὕβρις

Dennis

« Reply #12875 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
Westworld episode 2 continues to impress.

English writer guy and female head of security scenes continue to be terrible though.

Tasty

« Reply #12876 on: October 12, 2016, 02:02:44 AM »
Luke Cage

- First half was great, as said
- I upgrade my judgment of "Mike Colter can't act" from Jessica Jones to "Mike Colter can barely act"
- Diamondback comes out of nowhere and his past with Luke could have used more foreshadowing
- Shades was great
- Didn't buy that Mariah was "more dangerous" than Cottonmouth
- Diamondback's stupid suit = :derp - Power Man's suit cameo was quaint and nice, this wasn't
- Lovely to see Claire in a bigger role, perhaps her biggest so far (her only being a glorified cameo in JJ pissed me off)
- Luke x Claire seems forced (Matt x Claire and Luke x Jessica ftw)
- Less filler in the last stretch of eps than DD s1 or JJ but still wobbly on the rails a little
- Still don't have enough info about Reva or the USB drive she died for despite this being the big origin for that
- Fight choreography blew less chunks than JJ but still blew huge chunks compared to either DD season
- Diamondback's actor was a poor man's Tony Todd, bet they were pissed he went to The Flash instead
- Funky music

Daredevil Season 2 > Daredevil Season 1 > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage

But they're all great. Looking forward to Iron Fist though the premise seems like Dr. Strange x Daredevil and we'll have already gotten that by the time IF premieres. Still, Marvel Netflix has all been super solid and I'm out of my mind excited for The Defenders.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:08:24 AM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #12877 on: October 13, 2016, 12:28:07 AM »

Nutting so hard :noah

Bebpo

« Reply #12878 on: October 13, 2016, 03:28:30 AM »
Luke Cage got really stupid in ep8. 

Spoilers:
How do you make a Luke Cage show?  Apperently instead of giving him a super villain with powers of someone clever enough to figure out a way to trap, beat him, you shoot him with a bigger gun and that takes his power down so he's weak Luke Cage.  Not only is that super lame writing, but Cage is fucking bulletproof.  He can't be shot even by a super bullet.  This is so stupid.

Also stupid?  Playing his fugitive backstory card so he now has an identity he has to hide LIKE EVERY OTHER SUPER HERO.  That's one of the things I liked about Cage in the comic is he doesn't have to hide his identity, he just goes out and kicks some ass.  This seems like another lame writing bit and uneeded change from the character.

Also Diamondback is lame.  RIP cottenmouth.
[close]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #12879 on: October 13, 2016, 03:59:59 AM »
Luke Cage got really stupid in ep8. 

Spoilers:
How do you make a Luke Cage show?  Apperently instead of giving him a super villain with powers of someone clever enough to figure out a way to trap, beat him, you shoot him with a bigger gun and that takes his power down so he's weak Luke Cage.  Not only is that super lame writing, but Cage is fucking bulletproof.  He can't be shot even by a super bullet.  This is so stupid.

Also stupid?  Playing his fugitive backstory card so he now has an identity he has to hide LIKE EVERY OTHER SUPER HERO.  That's one of the things I liked about Cage in the comic is he doesn't have to hide his identity, he just goes out and kicks some ass.  This seems like another lame writing bit and uneeded change from the character.

Also Diamondback is lame.  RIP cottenmouth.
[close]

Not a spoiler for you:
I'd say just wait and see how you like his identity/superhero persona whatever as the show goes on. I felt like they did a really good job on that by the end.
[close]

I agree that the villains in the first season were weak but that seems intentional since the point is to show a black man dealing with black people problems. Plus he's going through the process of figuring whether he's willing to fight or not so it only makes sense that the first asses he kicks belong to his moral opposites rather than some super villains.

Bebpo

« Reply #12880 on: October 13, 2016, 06:20:02 AM »
Yeah that's fine and all and it's why ep1-6 were good.  Diamondback and JUDAS is still super dumb so far 2 eps into this 2nd arc.  It actually takes away from the black man dealing with black problems because now it's black man dealing with dumbass villians through bad writing plot events to make it so Cage doesn't just walk over and knock the guy out in 2 seconds and move on.

I actually thought Cottonmouth was the best antagonist in Marvel Netflix shows so far.  He hams it up so good, but just nails that believable character stuck in a situation he spiraling downhill.  I thought the flashback helped flesh out why he is the way he is.  Plus the over-the-top comic stuff was great like pulling a rocket launcher out of his ass.  For other Marvel antagonists, Kingpin was ok but was manbaby, Punisher wasn't really an antagonist, Nobu was lame, and I'm not a fan of JJ.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:25:16 AM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12881 on: October 13, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
HAM was great.  I like
Shades + Maria
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12882 on: October 13, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
Luke Cage spoilers all around:

Cottonmouth was the best villain in the show but I liked Diamondback just for how ridiculous and hammy he is, dude was always entertaining to me. The villain I couldn't muster up any fucks to give about was Maria.
[close]

This how I felt about him as well.
Not a great replacement but I love how hammy he was.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #12883 on: October 19, 2016, 05:38:44 AM »
Finished Luke Cage.  So diamondback was actually pretty awesome in his crazy gospel preaching.  The transition to the second half was bad and ep7-9 was rough to get through.  I felt like 10-12 picked it back up again but what was that final episode?  Like it barely felt like anything had closure, even diamondback plot line is still open.  It's really weird because the other Marvel Netflix seasons were self contained.  It almost feels like the last episode was one big setup for The Defenders/Daughters of the Dragon.  I appreciated the Misty Knight hair and outfit tease, although the fake tease for her losing her arm so she can get her comic book mecha arm on was kinda lame :p Ofherwise I thought Misty was really good in the show, probably better than Cage. 

Dawson being a romantic interest is kinda weird.  Are they not going to pair him with JJ in Defenders?  Hmmm...

I could see Defenders starting off with Matt meeting Luke as his attorney.

Dennis

« Reply #12884 on: October 19, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »
Third episode of Westworld and still the best new show on air.

But it is a little hard to see how they can keep the show like this for multiple seasons.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12885 on: October 19, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
Maybe, though
Judging from the hints that it's a front for some type of military R&D I wouldn't be surprised if they end up away from Westworld itself eventually
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12886 on: October 19, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
Third episode of Westworld and still the best new show on air.

But it is a little hard to see how they can keep the show like this for multiple seasons.

If it's anything like Jonathan Nolan's other show they can/will. The main thing he does, is he's not going to give any easy answers or solutions to the questions the show show is asking.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12887 on: October 19, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
What is his other show?

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #12888 on: October 19, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
Didn't he do Person of Interest?

Hope that comes to Netflix some day
___

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12889 on: October 19, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
Westworld is great so far.  I haven't quite warmed up James Marsden but Thandie Newton and Rachel Evan Wood are amazing.  I also like the air of menace around Anthony Hopkins.  I was afraid he was going to be the equivalent of Richard Attenborough in Jurassic Park.
vin

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12890 on: October 19, 2016, 02:28:50 PM »
Didn't he do Person of Interest?

Hope that comes to Netflix some day

It already is, which reminds me that I've been meaning to check out season 5 again

Bebpo

« Reply #12891 on: October 19, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
Luke Cage

So Shades seems like a weirdly written character in the end.  I have no idea what they were trying to do with him.

He acts all hard around Cottonmouth and Maria, but then in the club shootout in ep10 he acts like a scared little punk and then gets his ass beat by a near-dead Misty with one-arm and a nurse.  But then in the last couple of eps they try to make him all tough scary gangster again.  It's just weird.  I could never figure out what the point of his character was in the show and they never really did anything with him by the end. 

Also keeping Diamondback around to become LUKE CAGE 2.0 super soldier in S2 seems really dumb.  Not-Jon-Lovitz doctor is sorta why is he still in this show.
[close]

Ok, and problems with the hanging narratives:
So in the last fight (which sucked), they decide to focus on a flashback of the two boxing.  Why?  When it started the flashback I thought it was going to flashback to what happened when Diamondback setup Cage and got him sent to prison, which would've made narrative sense.  Also they never went into the flashback of exactly what happened to his old gf from the prison. 

While it's clear that this stuff is all being saved for S2, narrative-wise, you've already had a 13ep drawn out origin story season.  Do you really want to still be dealing with origin story stuff in S2?  Like it's just such an odd decision.  The final ep should've closed off a lot of this stuff, been a complete narrative arc and then you're done with origin season and season 2 on can be new stories about Luke Cage.  It feels like S1 is half of the origin season and they're doing it as a two season story arc.
[close]

Freyj

« Reply #12892 on: October 21, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »
Black Mirror Season 3: Shut Up and Dance

Jesus fucking Christ

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12893 on: October 21, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
Black Mirror Season 3: Shut Up and Dance

Jesus fucking Christ

Good ep but "San Junipero" tho
still crying
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12894 on: October 21, 2016, 11:02:23 PM »
Ep 1 is ok. Good, not great IMO. Ep 2 starts off terrible, but about 15 minutes in goes uphill and becomes really great.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12895 on: October 21, 2016, 11:15:13 PM »
Ep 3 so far...

fuck it man. It's just my weiner. Whatever.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12896 on: October 21, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »
I still have two more to go but I don't see them topping the fourth. It's also the only ep that seems to deserve/earn its hour long run time too imo. You get an actual well realized arc.

Freyj

« Reply #12897 on: October 22, 2016, 12:26:25 AM »
4 is pretty special, but the perfect use of Exit Music on 3 pushed it over for me.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12898 on: October 22, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »
4 is pretty special, but the perfect use of Exit Music on 3 pushed it over for me.

3 was tense throughout im glad it paid off for the end.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12899 on: October 22, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Damn. 4 was good.