Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046673 times)

Bebpo

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #16440 on: February 21, 2019, 04:49:14 PM »
I have 90 mins (3 eps) left in Russian Doll and I just don't know if I can bring myself to finish this. I felt this way 3 eps in but then they added a twist and I wanted to see if it would make the show better.

The problem is the script is awwwwwwwfuuuuuul. It's such a frustrating watch because the characters act completely illogical because the script is such shit.
Like this is probably the worst nonsensical script I've seen in a long time. It makes Kingdom Hearts look good.

On one hand I am slightly curious to see how the story ends,
on the other hand I can do better things in my life in 90 mins.

Hmmmm....

Absolutely would not recommend this show.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16441 on: February 21, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
True Detective Season 3 is ok overall, but it lost steam fast after the first 3 or 4 episodes which I really liked.
At this point the past 3 episodes haven't moved things forward a whole lot.

Still if you liked Season 1 I still recommend it. It has some of that vibe but it comes up short in the writing department.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And yes, I think the conclusion is that he knew and was told what had happened (the wife 'sold' the girl to the Hoyt family) but that he had to keep it a secret from everyone else (Roland, his wife etc.) and has forgotten that he knew.
because otherwise they'd nail them on the murder of the Hoyt security guy. Cover up after cover up made things more of a mess. Hays left the force in disgust because he had no choice but to keep everything a secret and couldn't tell Roland to protect him.

This set-up would actually makes sense looking at Hays' behavior. From the get to we learn he likes to keep secrets. Even when his brain is shot and he's with the interview lady he's keeping stuff from her.
Another hint, Roland is worried that Hays will tell the TV people: "what we left out there in the field (the dead security guy)". Roland doesn't know that Hoyt already knew they killed the security guy.
[close]
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16442 on: February 21, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/UpToTASK/status/1098437779678056448

:dead

If only that had been the plot of Season 2.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16443 on: February 21, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »
True Detective Season 3 is ok overall, but it lost steam fast after the first 3 or 4 episodes which I really liked.
At this point the past 3 episodes haven't moved things forward a whole lot.

Still if you liked Season 1 I still recommend it. It has some of that vibe but it comes up short in the writing department.

And yes, I think the conclusion is that he knew and was told what had happened (the wife 'sold' the girl to the Hoyt family) but that he had to keep it a secret from everyone else (Roland, his wife etc.) and has forgotten that he knew.
because otherwise they'd nail them on the murder of the Hoyt security guy. Cover up after cover up made things more of a mess. Hays left the force in disgust because he had no choice but to keep everything a secret and couldn't tell Roland to protect him.

This set-up would actually makes sense looking at Hays' behavior. From the get to we learn he likes to keep secrets. Even when his brain is shot and he's with the interview lady he's keeping stuff from her.
Another hint, Roland is worried that Hays will tell the TV people: "what we left out there in the field (the dead security guy)". Roland doesn't know that Hoyt already knew they killed the security guy.
[close]

Saulnier directed the first two episodes before getting out of dodge. Makes sense.
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16444 on: February 21, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Going through Happy!. The Crank like shock factor and frenetic pace along with Meloni who is able to imbue an emotional backbone. This shit is wild while allowing for depth. I'm fucking into it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16445 on: February 23, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
Going through Happy!. The Crank like shock factor and frenetic pace along with Meloni who is able to imbue an emotional backbone. This shit is wild while allowing for depth. I'm fucking into it.

It had some lows, but mostly it was a fun ride, and I like the lead actors for the bad guy and the protagonist ('cos he's not a "good guy").

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #16446 on: February 23, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »
I have 90 mins (3 eps) left in Russian Doll and I just don't know if I can bring myself to finish this. I felt this way 3 eps in but then they added a twist and I wanted to see if it would make the show better.

The problem is the script is awwwwwwwfuuuuuul. It's such a frustrating watch because the characters act completely illogical because the script is such shit.
Like this is probably the worst nonsensical script I've seen in a long time. It makes Kingdom Hearts look good.

Hmmmm....

The end provides some decent closure (emotionally) but it's probably not going to change your opinion on the writing. I wouldn't be as severe but it is sort of half assed. By the end they start to resort to one technique* they never used before (plus somewhat inconstantly) and it's hard to shake the feeling it's a cheap / lazy way to cram in some material to beef up the main character (the worst being it largely felt superfluous).

The premise feels artificial and there's quite a few narrative threads introduced and forgotten along the way.

Flashbacks
[close]
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #16447 on: February 23, 2019, 03:30:15 PM »

Hmmmm....

The end provides some decent closure (emotionally) but it's probably not going to change your opinion on the writing. I wouldn't be as severe but it is sort of half assed. By the end they start to resort to one technique* they never used before (plus somewhat inconstantly) and it's hard to shake the feeling it's a cheap / lazy way to cram in some material to beef up the main character (the worst being it largely felt superfluous).

The premise feels artificial and there's quite a few narrative threads introduced and forgotten along the way.

Flashbacks
[close]

Well my main problem is stupid stuff like

why do they have to follow their routines every time??? Like after she meets the main loop guy, every day they have a 3 sentence conversation about what's going on and then her ex comes in and then she quits the conversation mid-sentence and runs off and they can't talk again until the next death. Like NO ONE WOULD DO THAT. And a lot of the deaths early on are like their dying because they are idiots beyond what a normal idiot would be. Not too mention a lot of that stuff wouldn't necessarily even kill you...

Most of the script just feels like it goes along for the script's purpose and not because the characters would ever act that way. It's really annoying.

Other dumb stuff is the guy dying and playing the same section of tomb raider over and over. YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD GET GOOD AT IT. Also again, why would you play the same section over and over. Like play a different game. Do something different. Why follow the same routine it makes no sense.

Just aggravating logic in the show.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16448 on: February 23, 2019, 04:13:02 PM »

Hmmmm....

Flashbacks
[close]

Well my main problem is stupid stuff like

why do they have to follow their routines every time??? Like after she meets the main loop guy, every day they have a 3 sentence conversation about what's going on and then her ex comes in and then she quits the conversation mid-sentence and runs off and they can't talk again until the next death. Like NO ONE WOULD DO THAT. And a lot of the deaths early on are like their dying because they are idiots beyond what a normal idiot would be. Not too mention a lot of that stuff wouldn't necessarily even kill you...

Most of the script just feels like it goes along for the script's purpose and not because the characters would ever act that way. It's really annoying.

Other dumb stuff is the guy dying and playing the same section of tomb raider over and over. YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD GET GOOD AT IT. Also again, why would you play the same section over and over. Like play a different game. Do something different. Why follow the same routine it makes no sense.

Just aggravating logic in the show.
[close]
Haven't watched this show, but that happens in literally every time loop story i've seen.
Time Crimes, Triangle, BttF (though not really a loop) etc.

The only one that avoids it is Primer, just because i don'ìt know WTF is going on in the first place, so i can't waggle my finger at it.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16449 on: February 25, 2019, 12:51:10 AM »
Finished up True Detective Season 3 tonight. I really liked it. Big rebound for me from Season 2 which I mostly hated.

The Two leads Mahersha Ali and Stephen Dorff just fucking killed it the entire season. One of the few times I've seen where middle aged guys putting on old man makeup wasn't completely cheesey and forced.

I liked the last episode also. Simple and less over wrought than previous seasons.

Bebpo

« Reply #16450 on: February 25, 2019, 03:19:40 AM »
I thought it was terribly dull. The actors were likeable, but the season’s plot was just a drawn out bunch of nothing. Throughout the show most of the human drama felt weakly written and the only interesting part was the detective/mystery aspect which dragged out and ended on a whimper. I’d give it like 5/10 with S2 being 3/10 and S1 being a 9/10.

Definitely out on the series for good.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16451 on: February 25, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
Finished up True Detective Season 3 tonight. I really liked it. Big rebound for me from Season 2 which I mostly hated.

The Two leads Mahersha Ali and Stephen Dorff just fucking killed it the entire season. One of the few times I've seen where middle aged guys putting on old man makeup wasn't completely cheesey and forced.

I liked the last episode also. Simple and less over wrought than previous seasons.
Yeah they nailed their performances but the story kinda fell flat halfway through but picked up again in the last 2 episodes.
The ending was kinda bitter sweet I guess.

Poor Roland
- Shot in the leg and limp

- Befriends the father of the kids who then kills himself after what he put him through

- Put in a situation where he's forced to kill someone to save Wayne

- Dumped by that hot piece of ass he was dating

- Wayne gives up his job and bro to protect his hoe

- Discovers he's just a stray dog

- Wayne dumps him again until they're both old

- Wayne in a moment of clarity solves the case but can't tell anyone.
Maybe his son does something with the note but likely not so Roland will never know and will continue to feel guilty about Julie's death
[close]
Pouring one out for my buddy Roland
🤴

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16452 on: February 25, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
Hard MEH at True Detective s3

Beezy

« Reply #16453 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
Decided to start Luther over again since I only saw the first 2 seasons years ago and I can't remember them at all. I'm still in love Alice's crazy ass. :-[

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16454 on: February 26, 2019, 11:47:49 PM »
Decided to start Luther over again since I only saw the first 2 seasons years ago and I can't remember them at all. I'm still in love Alice's crazy ass. :-[

Isn't Indira Varma in it as well? She's luscious.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16455 on: February 28, 2019, 03:24:30 AM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16456 on: February 28, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »
The Asma Khan episode of Chefs Table is beautiful. Shes steeped in traditional but that tradition rejected her in a particular way. Its affecting to see her be open about all this, how it effected her in life and how she approaches cooking.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:17:14 PM by BlueTsunami »

Bebpo

« Reply #16457 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »
The Kirlian Frequency on Netflix is dope af Twilight Zone webseries. 10 min eps, only five eps. Made in Argentina and aired on YouTube there. First ep is ok but gets great by the end. Totally worth the one hour to watch. Check it out!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16458 on: March 04, 2019, 11:34:33 PM »
Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 -- Darker than I'd expected, in a very enjoyable way. Sitcom Advice Neighbor trope handled amusingly. Also good to get more Kristen Ritter.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16459 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:05 AM »

:rejoice OMG YES :rejoice

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16460 on: March 05, 2019, 06:00:53 AM »
Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 -- Darker than I'd expected, in a very enjoyable way. Sitcom Advice Neighbor trope handled amusingly. Also good to get more Kristen Ritter.

One of fav shows of all time. It's so goofy and irreverent

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16461 on: March 05, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »

:respect

It's really coming at me from weird angles. It's a total standard sitcom, except it subverts expectations pretty consistently.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16462 on: March 05, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
I've started Jessica Jones season 2 but without Killgrave it seems kinda empty.

Does it get any good or should I just give up now. Because lord knows I've got mountains of other trash to watch.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16463 on: March 05, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
I somehow made through season 2 of maisel. think I'm over this show, sometimes it's like watching elizabeth thirlby say "honest to blog" on repeat for an hour.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16464 on: March 05, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
I've started Jessica Jones season 2 but without Killgrave it seems kinda empty.

Does it get any good or should I just give up now. Because lord knows I've got mountains of other trash to watch.

I liked it. I don't understand why everyone was so down on it.

bluemax

« Reply #16465 on: March 05, 2019, 11:39:25 PM »
A Costume Quest cartoon? Who did Tim Schafer blackmail to get that to happen?
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #16466 on: March 06, 2019, 12:08:33 AM »
What?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16467 on: March 06, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »
yeah i thought it was a bit odd too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16468 on: March 06, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »

I don't know if there's any connection, wikipedia doesn't show her in the credits, but the game's creator is a considerable creative force:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasha_Harris

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #16470 on: March 07, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »
GUYSSS I finally started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine and I love it, it’s so entertaining.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16472 on: March 07, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »

It's really coming at me from weird angles. It's a total standard sitcom, except it subverts expectations pretty consistently.
James Van Der Beek just really digs deep and gets into his role and makes you believe in his character

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16474 on: March 08, 2019, 02:07:24 AM »

anyone watching this? if so, how is it?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16475 on: March 11, 2019, 02:06:29 AM »

anyone watching?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16476 on: March 11, 2019, 05:51:18 AM »

James Van Der Beek just really digs deep and gets into his role and makes you believe in his character

Except when he gets into his own head! :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16477 on: March 13, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
I have no idea what The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is about but the title alone sounds like the whitest white person show that has ever existed right next to Downton Abbey.

My now ex watched that show and it’s obnoxiously twee. One of those shows that people supposed love but once it ends nobody talks about it again.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #16478 on: March 13, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
binged Russian Doll in one go. love love loved it. give Natasha Lyonne all applicable awards.

I had thought it would be best to let it be though, and not make more of it, with it being such a nice self-contained story.

But apparently it was pitched (and Netflix is on board?) as a 3-season arc. :hype
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16479 on: March 13, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
Did anyone watch Lodge 49? It sounded neat, and it's on Hulu now.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16480 on: March 13, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
Did anyone watch Lodge 49? It sounded neat, and it's on Hulu now.

I liked it a lot. Very chill with a good dramatic line running through the characters and honest to goodness weird shit that hits in spurts. I.dont want to invoke Twin Peaks because its not it but it shares some of its surreal sentiments.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16481 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
That was kinda the vibe I got from the previews, like Twin Peaks but more chill.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16482 on: March 17, 2019, 09:57:02 PM »

Except when he gets into his own head! :lol

OK, the Dancing with the Stars sequence is freaking hilarious. And I kinda suspect Dean Cain is closer to being a douche than Van Der Beek.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16483 on: March 18, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »
Finished up the second half of Season 5 Arrested Development.

It was not good....

Let it end.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16484 on: March 19, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »
binged Russian Doll in one go. love love loved it. give Natasha Lyonne all applicable awards.

I had thought it would be best to let it be though, and not make more of it, with it being such a nice self-contained story.

But apparently it was pitched (and Netflix is on board?) as a 3-season arc. :hype
Yeah I really liked it.  I would prefer it end for good the way it did. I binged the whole thing in one sitting Saturday and was really surprised because the trailer looked like crap.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16485 on: March 20, 2019, 01:54:35 AM »
Watched the ep.3 of Death Love + Robots -- the one where a dancer is on the run from a murderer she witnessed in the act. Really striking visuals.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16486 on: March 21, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
Started up Red Oaks on a whim and I've been digging it. The story is trite but the characters are all empathetic (maybe except for two). Then you have these goofy '80s flourishes that just add to the feel of the show.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16487 on: March 22, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »
Tried to watch the Al Bundy Tapes on Netflix.
Had to stop at the second episode, because it's boring as shit.
You know he did it, they know he did it, and so it's just 40 minutes of zoom ins on his photo with cheeky horror music.

The guy wasn't even that interesting, just your regular psycho with impotent rage.

If it was all condensed in one episode, it would've been fine.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16488 on: March 22, 2019, 01:49:57 AM »

anyone watching?
The gay sex scenes  :whew

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16490 on: March 22, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »
Only made it to season 10, then season 5 on the rewatch.  need to start it all again.

After I finish my stargate rewatch - on season 6 now   

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16491 on: March 22, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
If I ever re-watch Supernatural, I'll end happily on s5. Best arc, the rest is just delicious fanservice character gravy.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16492 on: March 22, 2019, 10:43:46 PM »
I’m pretty sure I burnt out in season 2

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #16493 on: March 23, 2019, 02:22:20 AM »
Honest think they should have called it around season 6, would have been better for their careers and the show became lackluster anyway

Beezy

« Reply #16494 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »
Watched the ep.3 of Death Love + Robots -- the one where a dancer is on the run from a murderer she witnessed in the act. Really striking visuals.
These shorts are pretty great. I'm loving all the different art styles.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16495 on: March 23, 2019, 10:36:10 PM »
I never watched supernatural past like season 6 or something but one day I'm sure I'll go back and give the rest of it a watch no matter how bad it got. I had a fondness for the show from the early years.

edit: Actually I watched that Scooby-Doo episode from a couple of seasons ago. That was pretty good.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16496 on: March 23, 2019, 11:55:07 PM »
Season 6 is probably the worst season. You can tell they had no idea what they were doing so most of it just feels like them rehashing older seasons explicitly but cheaper, it was very off. Season 7 has pretty solid tick back up but still rough around the edges. Season 8 is around where they start hitting that old quality again. With the show peaking again in season 10 and 11. A return to more serious mythology stuff with weight and I'd put them up there with s3-5. It's also where I think they started to realize that the show has been on so long that they could literally just do whatever the fuck they wanted as long as it was in budget. Some great episodes in this later season like the one that's shot entirely from the pov of the car (even a great fight towards the end).

It gets pretty silly silly again around 13 and to where we are now I guess but like I've always maintained, SN at it's worst (s6) is silly solid procedural entertainment. Even if it's background noise lol.

lol wow thats a lot for sn but I guess everyone has one of those shows. I've been watching/following the early upn days so

dammit i said i wasn't gonna say anything else about this show lmao welp
im sick
like i might be crazy
[close]
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:02:11 AM by toku »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16497 on: March 24, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »
Yeah, I kind of love the show for all the same reasons.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #16498 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »
Watched the ep.3 of Death Love + Robots -- the one where a dancer is on the run from a murdere I'm glad there's ar she witnessed in the act. Really striking visuals.
So far this is the only ep I've liked. Will report back after a few more. I'm glad there's a show like this on Netflix, though.
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16499 on: March 27, 2019, 01:02:07 AM »
OK, the Dancing with the Stars sequence is freaking hilarious. And I kinda suspect Dean Cain is closer to being a douche than Van Der Beek.
having never watched Dancing with the Stars I choose to believe that whole plotline was real

Remember to always count the ceiling tiles in your dressing room.