Author Topic: Mobile Gaming [Android/iOS] Thread  (Read 432366 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
R Type not up in the US store yet.
CBG

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Dodonpachi info says there's a lite version but I cant see it
itm

pilonv1

That's lame. Nice to see they're doing an opening week discount though.
itm

Wario64

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
When I try to play DoDonPachi, it just gives me a white screen after the CAVE logo disappears.   :lol :-\
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Worked after a reset.
ど助平

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Oh god it's sooooooooooooo good.
CBG

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Bought it, started downloading, and then it threw a "Cannot purchase" error halfway through. I wonder if this is Japanese people not understanding how the internet works

edit: Rebooted, tried it again, now it gives me a white icon and a bar that never fills up. Durrrrrrrrrr

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:44:37 AM by Sho Nuff »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Was looking at videos of dodonpachi and am wondering how you control it on iphone.
©ZH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Was looking at videos of dodonpachi and am wondering how you control it on iphone.

You just move your finger around to control the ship.  It's set to autofire and there's on-screen buttons on the side to chnage weapons/bombs.  The play screen doesn't take up the entire iPhone screen, so there's room underneath it for you to put your finger and not block anything going on.
ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
How does it play? Judging by the videos I've watched, there seems to be a level of precision in movement involved that I'm doubting the iphone can replicate. Does it feel as if there are less weapons to dodge to compensate?
©ZH

ch1nchilla

How does it play? Judging by the videos I've watched, there seems to be a level of precision in movement involved that I'm doubting the iphone can replicate. Does it feel as if there are less weapons to dodge to compensate?

It plays amazingly well, and it's actually more precise than the arcade counterpart because of the touch control. I talked to a friend from Cave last night, and from what I can remember from our boozed-out conversation, no sacrifices were made and in fact the developers remixed the game in a lot of ways, giving it a lot of extra content. Tons of replay value here, it's crazy.

dark1x

Yeah, the touchscreen is actually stupid precise for these Cave titles.  In fact, I'd say they are SO precise that it actually gives the player an unfair advantage and makes for an easier game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Love Battle Princess is a pretty cool puzzle game, although the choice to go with pin-up girl artwork is going to alienate some people.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
ど助平

ch1nchilla

Yeah, the touchscreen is actually stupid precise for these Cave titles.  In fact, I'd say they are SO precise that it actually gives the player an unfair advantage and makes for an easier game.

Agreed, especially on the iPad. DoDonPachiR makes Espgaluda2 look like a joke though in terms of difficulty.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Zombie Infection HD (Gameloft's Resident Evil 5 clone) and Pinball HD (three tables, neat "camera tilt" effect and 3D support) are both on sale for 99 cents for a "limited time"

the iphone version of Zombie Infection is on sale for .99 as well

Zombie Infection HD is normally $6.99
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:21:13 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Are they any good?
brb

chronovore

• relapsed dev

It plays amazingly well, and it's actually more precise than the arcade counterpart because of the touch control. I talked to a friend from Cave last night, and from what I can remember from our boozed-out conversation, no sacrifices were made and in fact the developers remixed the game in a lot of ways, giving it a lot of extra content. Tons of replay value here, it's crazy.

Is this friend at cave the same one who was my pal in Osaka, working at Gamer's Republic?

ch1nchilla

Is this friend at cave the same one who was my pal in Osaka, working at Gamer's Republic?

If he is from socal and is awesome, yes.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Are they any good?

pinball hd is great, zombie infection is as good as it can be given touch controls mimicking analog sticks (but, like all gameloft games the story and voice acting are atrocious)

you'll definitely get your $2 worth
sup

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Picked up Pinball HD, pretty cool!
You didn't sell me on Zombie Infection.
brb

chronovore

• relapsed dev

If he is from socal and is awesome, yes.
Hm, I dunno. My pal was only mildly awesome. May be sheer coincidence. I guess I should have pieced together that he is from SoCal, since we have such similar speech patterns.

Sho Nuff

Hey there is some cool shit coming out of the Apple event this morning. Chair is making a game for Epic with UE3 on the iPhone that comes out next week for free. Some sort of fantasy action game where you beat up monsters or some shit.

Also, their Game Center system is out today :hyper  It's nice there's a consolidated system now.

ManaByte

Hey there is some cool shit coming out of the Apple event this morning. Chair is making a game for Epic with UE3 on the iPhone that comes out next week for free. Some sort of fantasy action game where you beat up monsters or some shit.

Also, their Game Center system is out today :hyper  It's nice there's a consolidated system now.

Wat?

They didn't say it comes out next week. iOS 4.1 is next week. The Epic game is "holiday".
CBG

Sho Nuff

Wait, when's Game Center out?

Sho Nuff

Downloading now

Aint nothin

ManaByte

Running it on my iPhone 4 now. HOLY SHIT.

This is like a portable 360.
CBG

ManaByte

CBG

Sho Nuff

I just showed it around and people at work are FLIPPING OUT

Brehvolution

The file is huge or the servers are getting hammered.
©ZH

pilonv1

EPIC CITADEL :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Wish I could see it on a 4G :(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:21:53 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
yeah, the tech demo looks fantastic but the framerate is pretty low, i'll bet the final game is scaled back a little
sup

Sho Nuff

This is a huge open area with multiple zones (that are probably streaming). If you did a game in a more constrained area with more control over where the camera's going to go you could probably keep that level of graphical fidelity with actual gameplay, AI, etc.

The guys at work are flipping out that it even runs and holds 30fps on a 3GS, WITH ANTIALIASING

pilonv1

The frame rate was fine mostly for my 3GS. The sweeping bit outside the city was the worst but everything else was very constant.
itm

Sho Nuff

Also, Mirror's Edge comes out at 8pm tonight for iPhone (finally). I will buy this because Mirror's Edge is the story of my life

Brehvolution

The cool thing is that can tap on the path and you will walk that spot but while walking you can use your finger to look around. You can look behind you like you were walking backwards. :lol
©ZH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
they already issued an update for epic citadel :lol

it made the the demo run a little smoother for me
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Also, Mirror's Edge comes out at 8pm tonight for iPhone (finally). I will buy this because Mirror's Edge is the story of my life

It was always a treat to see you free-running your way into the regular Thursday drinking sessions, leaping across rooftops and leaving your dousoku footprints across the animated billboards of the young singer aidoru.

Wario64

mirror's edge is pretty fun, it's funny how the combat in the iphone version is fucktons better than the real game

ManaByte

Spider-man is so fucking good.
CBG

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
I picked up some games recently thanks to impressions here & elsewhere.

CubedRRacer - fun lil' racer, similar in aesthetic to RC Pro Am. Strictly solo racing action though. Controls consist of a left button, a right button, and an accelerator. Somehow, that basic set up works really well.

Eliss - wow just wow! Some brand new yet retro type shit right here! Kinda reminds me of a very little known game by Atari called "Quantum". The object is to move colored balls (planets) on top of circles ("squeesars") without letting different colored planets touch each other. All done with your fingers! Super duper fresh.

Game of Life - my lady friend wanted to play this, so I got it while it was on sale over the Labor Day weekend for .99. Ugh, this game sucks. I didn't play it much as a kid and now I remember why. The interface is nice and the graphics are pretty, but the game can totally blow me.

Osmos - this blows me away as much as Eliss, but whereas Eliss is all retro vector based goodness, this is that gorgeous, beautiful, taking full advantage of the retina display type shit. You're a cell-based type of organism that slowly, verrry slowly, digests other smaller organisms while avoiding bigger ones. As you get bigger, you get to swallow up enemies, similar to Katamari. Annon of OA of all people recommended this game to me, and whadya know, that douche is good for something (unlike abrader).

Trees of Doom - silly lil' diversion based on the Ninjatown duder. Climb as high as you can without getting knocked off. Not something you want to play for hours on end but if you're just waiting in line at the grocery store to buy laxatives or booze or whatever, it's second to none.

Sway - another brilliant fucking game! A ragdoll platformer where you use your thumbs to control your character's left and right hand. Swing around to gain velocity, then go flying and hope to god you stick to something instead of falling to your doom, which you will be doing a LOT of. Harder than fuck but soooo satisfying when you get the hang of things.

Shibuya - interesting puzzle game, sort of a really simplified version of Klax. You only have to deal with one row of colored rows dropping down. Match two of the same color and tap them to make them disappear. You have a really limited playing field though so you have to think ahead and pay close attention to the upcoming pieces. It feels like something you'd only want to play for a minute or two but then next thing you know you've been paying it for two hours! Be sure to turn off the music though because that shit sucks.

Tilt to Live - like a slower version of Geometry Wars 2 Pacifism mode. Definitely truth in advertising - tilt the iPhone to survive the onslaught of baddies! I was a little apprehensive about a game that relies strictly on the accelerometer since, ya know, that shit can be a little dodgy - but it controls like a dream. When you die, you don't feel like you got gypped from shitty controls, you feel like you suck and should play ONE MORE ROUND

and finally, while it's not a game, it may be the coolest thing I've purchased thus far...

Beatmaker - oh my fucking GOD this thing is the BUSINESS. A feature rich sampler / sequencer / FX program that you can take ANYWHERE? YES PLEASE! I really loved my Korg DS cart but I have a feeling I'm never going to touch it again after fucking with this. The learning curve is tremendous and the online support is, well... there's a 40 page manual that isn't exactly helpful, but then again I learn better from hands-on than reading and I was able to knock out a pretty dope beat in my first day of owning the software, so... I can't complain. For $10, this is the best fucking thing EVER.
dap

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Hexage games are all on sale for 99 cents, they're all quality stuff:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/hexage-net/id317379085

if you only buy one, get Radiant (or Radiant HD for iPad)

it's an awesome galaga-style game with boss battles and ship upgrades
sup

Saint Cornelius

Well I bought Radiant, Doctor. You best not let me down!
dap

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
Cave's next game for iPhone is going to be Mushihime-sama Bug Panic. Teaser trailer at the link (doesn't show any gameplay)
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/10/mushihime_sama_iphone/
http://www.cave-world.com/jp/games/mushihimesama-bugpanic.html

There's an inaccuracy in the article though; this isn't the arcade shooter they released in 04 or 06, it's an original spinoff for the iPhone. There's old gameplay footage when they first announced it last year, but they put it on hold to work on Espgaluda 2. Looks like Robotron with chaining.
BiSH

ManaByte

CBG

Sho Nuff

CHU CHU ROCKETTO, ROCKETTO SUGOI
TSUBABABABAAAAAAAA~~~~

Day one motherbitches

ManaByte

Super Mega Worm is so good your thumbs hurt.
CBG

pilonv1

What's Zenbound like? I've always thought it looked interesting.
itm

pilonv1

Hmm might pick it up. I enjoy non twitch games on iPhone.
itm

Sho Nuff

Monkey Island 2 is currently at a paltry 99˘ for a limited time:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/monkey-island-2-special-edition/id375901588?mt=8

Bought that shit so hard.

Bought it all over my face. Thanks for the headsup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Was gonna get it on XBLA, but Monkey 2 for $1 was so bought.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Yeah, I need some hot monkey love #2 all over my face for 99˘.

I mean, not "hot monkey number two all over my face"... Um. Ew.

Also, thanks St. Corny for those reviews. I will scope a few of them as soon as MI2 finishes downloading... perhaps next month, at this current rate.

Saint Cornelius

Lots & lots of games on sale this weekend.
dap

cool breeze

[youtube=560,345]XnGMf_rXxtU[/youtube]

ManaByte

Looks better than the Wii version.
CBG

Sho Nuff

Puzzle Agent is a buck today.

Seriously, I fucking love the App Store. I never buy stuff on day one, but I just keep a Touch Arcade subscription in my RSS feeds so I always know when stuff drops.

Also, Peggle Nights is a dollar

:bow Splork :bow2
:piss Kat Tut :piss2

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Cut the Rope is an amazing game for a buck

it's like real-time The Incredible Machine
乱学者

pilonv1

:bow PEGGLE :bow2

Shit I only just found out that Monopoly has ONLINE PLAY :hyper
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:44:01 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Sho Nuff

P-p-p-p-p-peggle

Shit, so Monopoly is like Carcassone? Does it have proper push notifications?!?

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
It keeps rejecting my credit card :( I think Apple changed the region policies or something
wha