Author Topic: Official MMO News And Information Thread of Etoilet Jacking Off Over Shitty GW2  (Read 173739 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: Official MMO News And Information Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2011, 07:54:21 AM »
Uh. Rift has Bards. I need to try it again now.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #361 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
I registered for any future Betas for Rift. Curious to at least try it.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #362 on: January 06, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »
Why? So you can troll it with more GW2 viral marketing?
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #363 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »
Yea I'm also confused with how RPers justify their "NO DKs!" strictness with all the meme generated quests in Cata, not to mention all the changes to lore (dunno much about lore, but that's what the nerds tell me).

ManaByte

« Reply #364 on: January 06, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »
Wow isn't the place for RPs simply due to it being a non-original IP and the lore makes it hard for any true RP. It was easier in EQ, EQ2, etc as that's an original setting and not something bound by a lot of backstory. SWTOR will have the same problem.

Rift may be a good haven for RPers though and they're really supporting it. In the beta there are a couple of RP-PVP and RP-PVE servers.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #365 on: January 06, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #366 on: January 07, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
Why? So you can troll it with more GW2 viral marketing?

I'm miles away from being viral. I just know about the game and answer questions that I can. I and very other PVPer have big concerns with GW2 screwing up balance.

And

I just got into the Rift beta, and will be seeing how well their class system works.

ManaByte

« Reply #367 on: January 07, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
Level 10 Riftstalker/Bard/Saboteur in Rift. Not entirely hating it. Feels a lot like EQ1, but with every improvement to MMOs made over the last decade.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
Level 11 Mage: Dominator/Necro/Stormblast. Specced mostly into Dom.

The general quests are all boring and theres lots of spawn camping during the beta. The PQ/Rifts manage to relieve that boredom and make the world feel more alive. The look(defiant side) is a lot like Aoin, and the crafting interface is a lot like Aion, too. The game borrows from everywhere. The only flavor it seems to have is in its class/skills system.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »
乱学者

etiolate

« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2011, 02:49:24 AM »
Listening to chat in Rift, which is not a average person opinion, but a MMO specific audience, people's complaints revolve around the game being too much like WoW. People want something different, and you can't simply be better at those things than WoW because you are fighting against the time and money invested in people's characters that they don't want to abandon so easily. There is such a thing as MMOers guilt and it makes it hard to get people to transfer to something else.

But if you do not-wow then people care more and feel like they are taking a new path. Plus, the MMO design model is fucking archaic and nobody really enjoys playing it. It's just the ability to play with others that hooks. It also attracts all the people who hate MMOs, and there are many in that group. Trying to target the WOW user is as much a mess as it was for Nintendo to try to target the bro gamer.

As for more Rift thoughts: So far, I liked mmy 10 level free trial of Warhammer Online more. War is a decent game now, but it must have been problematic at start if it fell as hard as it did. I played a PVP Warfront that is basically shmear the queer(what a lovely childhood game!). I finally found an interesting series of quests that involved an obstacle course and cheese eating. The rest are all kill ten rats and I kind of gave up on them and focused on rift hopping.

ManaByte

« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
Rift won't touch WoW. But it'll decimate EQ2 and Aion and finally be the killblow once and for all for WAR and that single Vanguard server. On Faeblight there are A LOT of EQ2 players. WAR is still garbage, and the dev team change a while ago just made it even worse.

And don't get your hopes up for GW2. It playable at CES at the Samsung booth and the general consensus is that for a free to play Diablo/PSO clone, it's okay. If they were to ever want to charge a monthly fee or microtransactions; it wouldn't be worth it.

As for TOR, it's epic failure will make WAR and Age of Conan look tiny in comparison. Just on BioWare's name and the KOTOR legacy they'll sale at least 2.5 million units in the first month. And they'll be under 100,000k subs within the first three. If you think people are complaining about Rift being too much like WoW, wait until KOTOR. The people who have actually PLAYED it, know that 1UP article is 100% correct. Stupid fanboys already emotionally invested in loving the game from screenshots and BioWare PR hype can't wrap their heads around that it's a piece of shit. There is a good reason why Lucasarts washed their hands of the game and won't even publish it.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »
Level 16 now in Rift and I've changed to Ranger/Bard/Marksman
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »
Doing the first Rift dungeon on the Guardian side now. On the way to the last boss. This is seriously cool for a sub-level 20 instance.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
It starts off in a forest in Spring, and then goes through Summer, Fall, and finally Winter when you're fighting the final boss in a huge blizzard. You get in there around level 17 or so and it's meant for about 17-22 people. Really cool first instance.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
It starts off in a forest in Spring, and then goes through Summer, Fall, and finally Winter when you're fighting the final boss in a huge blizzard. You get in there around level 17 or so and it's meant for about 17-22 people. Really cool first instance.

wow that sounds awesome  :o

ManaByte

« Reply #376 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
Four bosses. First is just a tank and spank. Second is a big turtle like thing that shoots poison puddles (don't stand in the fire...at level 17!). Third is one of those big melee guys who drops tank aggro to charge one of the healers/dps before going back to the tank. Fourth boss is a cool giant evil Fae who first summons elementals that break down into smaller elementals (like in Halls of Origination) before you fight him. And this is the intro instance, the first one people on the Guardian side will go through.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #377 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
:lol Mana

the general consensus on GW2 is that everybody loved the demo and it blew the socks off winter babies

I hit 16 last night. Finally found the actual main city and did more Warfronts, and some PVP quests for them. Just got some more new Dom skills to screw with people. I have a root spell that does 250 damage if you move from it, which is a large amount of base damage at that level.

ManaByte

« Reply #378 on: January 08, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
Bards are fun in PVP. Almost 19 now.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2011, 03:07:35 AM »
Level 22 now in Rifts. Enjoying the game more as I go along. Got my mount and bought a second soul slot. Messed around with Choro Mage and Archon, then Stormblast/Elemental nuke build. One problem with the multi-souls is the amount of redundancy. Going stormblast and elemental is just too many similar spells. The talents add up to really boost your air and elemental damage, but which spells to use becomes a mess. If you make a Shaman/Druid cleric you will start out with two attacks which are exactly the same, with the same damage on no CD. There is no reason to have both except for procs off of talents based on that attack.

One other issue is that the PVP queue pops are very easy to miss. It's just a little bit of text in your chat log. I miss at least half the of the PVP queues I get because I don't see them.

I did Iron Tombs, which is a different dungeon than I think Mana did. I think Mana rolled Guardian? Anyways, its basically a long tomb with undead and shadowy mobs. The second or third boss fight came in series of three bosses one after the other, then you battle all three at once. Following this, you do a quest to tether spirits in the room and lead them back to a trap in the middle of the room. It's a bit of ghostbusters, and afterwards you get a reward. The final boss had a channeled fire attack that you avoid by a dwarf popping in and saying "COME HERE" and then you stand in his safety zone. Pretty familiar strategies. Before this boss there was a room where wave after wave of mobs came at you. Instead of being fun, it ended up being tedious because you never knew where they were coming from and they were all the same mob. The amount of waves was also a bit too long. Five waves would be fine, but it felt like twelve waves in a row of doing the same thing non stop.

ManaByte

« Reply #380 on: January 10, 2011, 03:36:42 AM »
Yea I'm Guardian. Realm of the Fae is the first instance on that side.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I forgot the best part about the Rift beta. My defiant male Mage does the Carlton dance.

ManaByte

« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Here's a page about Realm of the Fae with a quick video showing the seasons:
http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/instances/realm-of-fae.php
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
SOE just killed EQ2 once and for all. They delayed the launch of the Velious expansion to the day the Rift headstart begins.

The game has been bleeding players like crazy ever since the cash shop launched, then the F2P assraping, and then the $50 early unlock for the Vampire playable race, and now this. The vast majority of the remaining players were planning to go play Rift anyways because of Scott Hartsman, and this just solidified things.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #385 on: January 19, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »
:rofl at the end of that video he bashes TOR (he's in the beta) and says that Rift is much better.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
He says it looks bad but isn't TOR supposed to be low end so it runs on tons of different rigs?

That's PR speak. It's not the case.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #388 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »
EVE's new character creator:

Freddy Mercury:

CBG

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #389 on: January 19, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »
Now you can finally be princes of the Universe. :rock
©@©™

ManaByte

« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2011, 07:04:23 AM »
Best game ever?

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
PlanetSide 2:
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »

Apparently Scott McDaniel (one of the creators of Velious) is a bit pissed that SOE didn't contact him before making the expansion.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #394 on: January 24, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
Rift beta 5 starts tomorrow. Zam's site says they still have keys available if you want in.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
PlanetSide 2's Galaxy:
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #396 on: January 26, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
SW TOR delayed until sometime in September.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: January 26, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
Might as well rename is Star Wars: DOA.
dog

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »
So, for the DC Online game, I dont have a PS3 and I only have an old laptop from a few years ago that plays WoW just fine. Its got a Intel GMA 965 graphics card, which sucks ass, but its done the few things I've asked it to. Specwise, everything else is covered. You guys think the laptop can handle DC Online? Or am I shit out of luck?
XDF

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
So, for the DC Online game, I dont have a PS3 and I only have an old laptop from a few years ago that plays WoW just fine. Its got a Intel GMA 965 graphics card, which sucks ass, but its done the few things I've asked it to. Specwise, everything else is covered. You guys think the laptop can handle DC Online? Or am I shit out of luck?

It's Unreal Engine 3 and the required specs are P4 3.0GHz and Geforce 7800 GTX+. You might be able to play it.
dog

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the update. I dont really know jack about graphics cards for computers anymore. I stopped gaming on pcs a long time ago, and usually I get my gaming fix on my 360, but I really want to try this game. I just don't want to fork over the money and not be able to play it.
XDF

ManaByte

CBG

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #402 on: February 02, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »
WDW

ManaByte

« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »
http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=25090
You got Rift in my Team Fortress 2! Trion Worlds and Valve just announced that players who pre-order Rift by March 1 on Steam will get two exclusive melee weapons in Team Fortress 2: the Sharpened Volcano Fragment for the Pyro and Sun-on-a-stick for the Scout. Team Fortress 2 players will automatically receive the weapons starting today. You can check out images of the items after the jump.

Just to be clear, all Steam pre-order customers will receive the weapons, including those who have already purchased Rift through the digital platform. This offer is available to Steam users worldwide.

So what's with the hat in the above screenshot? That's the “Well Spun Hat," an exclusive Rift in-game item that players can obtain by completing the new "Riftwalker" achievement in Team Fortress 2. Just apply the code to your Trion account and you'll get the cosmetic hat in your Rift in-game mailbox when the headstart period begins on Feb. 24!

Pyro weapon:

Scout weapon:

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
Rift open beta is next week:
http://www.riftgame.com/betasignup

CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #405 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:13 AM »
[youtube=560,345]mM3n3Ve0OAs[/youtube]
 :o

ManaByte

« Reply #406 on: February 08, 2011, 02:33:57 AM »
EA is shutting down two of the remaining four WAR servers.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #407 on: February 08, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
Warhammer Online will have 1 more server than Vanguard!
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #408 on: February 08, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
aion is still going strong. WoW's days are numbered!

ManaByte

« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
Aion is still doing well. But Rift will kill it.
CBG

ManaByte

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #411 on: February 09, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
It reads like any other mmo wishlist. 6 months after launch everybody will be min maxing anyhoo.

It's not a wishlist. That's what the game has been like since Beta 4.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?61579-Post-Beta-6-On-Rifts-Raids-PvP-and-Damage%E2%80%A6

Post Beta 6 - On Rifts, Raids, PvP, and Damage…
Hi, everyone – We’ve dropped a little below our own bar for keeping you up to date on the state of the game, and for that I definitely apologize.

It’s not out of any desire to not keep you informed, but purely out of how many hours a week that everyone is putting into the builds, features, and updates for Open Beta, Head Start, Launch, and what comes beyond. Not an excuse, just letting you know that’s where every waking moment has been going.

With that said, we did want to get updates out on a few hot topics that have come up since Beta 6.

Let’s start with PvP in the shared world.

Just before Beta 6, we made an anti griefing change that prevented enemy wardstones at hubs and towns from being destroyed by the opposing faction, and significantly boosted guard strength around PvE hubs. We’re pretty happy with how that worked out on the PvE servers.

In time for Open Beta, we’ve developed the ability to repeal those changes on the PvP servers only, to see if they can remain playable without it. Ideally, it’s our hope that there’s gameplay value in having people being able to band together to attack and defend those areas on PvP servers.

If you choose to play on a PvP server, it’s our assumption that you not only don’t mind that level of interruption from that PvP attack-and-defense style of gameplay, but are actively excited about taking part in it. If you want uninterrupted PvE questing, choosing a PvE server is definitely recommended.

On damage tuning from Beta 6

Beta 6 was the largest test we’ve ever done. We had the largest number of people across more level ranges than ever before playing Rift. As we’re fine tuning NPC damage for launch, we got a lot of feedback (and just as importantly, combat metrics from the servers) on how everyone is performing in different level ranges. Expect further updates to these in Open Beta.

So far, in our closed testing of the current tuning, things are looking pretty positive. Finding the right balance between “too easy” and “too hard” across this many level ranges and character capacities is a challenge, and we’re looking forward to seeing what people think, and how well they perform, in the next round.

Raid development strategies, in a world with an entirely new class of content

One of the things that makes Rift different from other MMOs is that we have this entire class of content that most games don’t – The dynamic content systems that provide us the ability to create invasions, events of all sizes, ancient wardstones, colossi, and rifts. To most everyone here, that’s no big surprise.

Once you start talking about rifts, you have minor rifts (largely for solo and small group players), major rifts (for group players), expert rifts (for high end players, on par with an expert-level dungeon), and raid rifts.

Once we’re talking about those rifts at the high end of the game, those give you the ability to lure out specific encounters by picking up specific Lures. It’s that layer of content that we’ve chosen to focus on for our 10-man raid content for starters.

Most people haven’t experienced this yet in this game or any other, so it can seem as if we’re trying to short the 10-man raids by not doing 10 and 20 man versions of every instance.

Our intent is actually the opposite: This strategy lets us tailor more raid encounters for 10 mans, and giving people cooler things to do, faster, without either a) unfairly forcing people to stare at the same raid zones twice every week if multiple versions of the same zones are available, or b) forcing someone to choose between two sets of friends, if they can only do a 10 or a 20 of the same zone in a week.

Both of those are dynamics that have a lot of downside, and we’re trying to avoid things that either force burnout or force wedges between groups of friends. The dynamic content system, and its ability to provide fun content, accessibly, makes a lot of sense as a potential solution to these problems.

We expect 10 mans to be a pretty huge number of raiders all in all, and we expect to continue creating 10 man content rapidly throughout the live run of the game.

With 10 man rifts (via Lures), just like with 20 man instances, people can go do them on demand, which is another part of the strategy that might not have been clear. So, please don’t think that we’re throwing 10 man raiders to the wolves. We're actually trying to ensure that both sizes of raiding can flourish.

As with any of our other development strategies, we’ll be keeping an eye out and seeing how it goes at mass scale, after lots of people have the chance to participate.

Do know that we’ll respond appropriately, to make sure that we’re always iterating to make the best experience that we possibly can.

- The RIFT Development Team

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
They re-did the graphics of the Earth space dock in STO...HUGE improvement:
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #415 on: February 15, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
RIFT open beta has begun. So awesome.
CBG

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #416 on: February 15, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
God help me, I am kind of wanting to play that Old Republic MMO :(
WDW

ManaByte

« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
God help me, I am kind of wanting to play that Old Republic MMO :(

Why? You can play KOTOR1 for free and not have to pay $15 a month.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
Buy it, play the free month, dump it. It's basically a single-player game anyway.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »
Buy it, play the free month, dump it. It's basically a single-player game anyway.

Why wait til the game comes out to dump it? :teehee
乱学者