Author Topic: Official MMO News And Information Thread of Etoilet Jacking Off Over Shitty GW2  (Read 171478 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
You can register at the official site:
www.startrekonline.com

Cryptic's first two MMOs were a total failure in terms of content. Will the third be just as bad?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:33:24 AM by ManaByte »
CBG

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Star Trek Online Closed Beta has begun
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:58:22 AM »
OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111
Does anyone here care about this game?
ど助平

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Shitty MMO News and Information Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »
I won't touch this game since I don't trust NCSoft to keep it running past next year in the US (look at their history with shutting down non-CoX or Lineage MMOs), but this is interesting.

Aion has a ton of issues driving people away. The gold-farming bot/spammer to player ratio on all servers are about 10:1, and NCSoft doesn't really seem to care. Well, they probably will now.

Last week was the 22nd, and yesterday was the 29th. Those two dates are very important to NCSoft as they are the days that the free 30 trials included with the regular and collector's editions expire.

And starting from the 22nd to today the game's population has fucking cratered. From people playing, it looks like a good 75-80% of the server population has canceled their accounts. Fuck, most people playing WAR or AoC at least subscribed for a month before running back to WoW.
CBG

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Shitty MMO News and Information Thread
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »
Dont worry, there are like 3 more coming out in 2010 accordin to Kosma's thread. PC master race will prevail
fat

ManaByte

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
LOL

"Recommended" on their server list is the same as WoW: The server is basically empty and it's recommended to start there if you want an uncrowded server.

CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
When will companies learn that there's only one MMO that people want to play?
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
Dont worry, there are like 3 more coming out in 2010 accordin to Kosma's thread. PC master race will prevail

:rofl

Tru dat.

Joking aside when Cataclysm drops in 2010 all other MMORPGs will cease to exist in people's mind.

BioWare's Star Wars: TOR :lol

TOR will be WAR2 for EA.
CBG

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »
If anything has a shot at surviving next to WoW with a respectable subscriber base, it's the Star Wars MMO.  and that's only because it's star wars. 

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »
If anything has a shot at surviving next to WoW with a respectable subscriber base, it's the Star Wars MMO.  and that's only because it's star wars. 

Pretty much this. As long as they dont completely fuck it up like they did the last one, this one will likely be successful.
XDF

ManaByte

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 06:28:26 PM »
Unless the game can be played on any system made in the last seven years and runs on both PC and Mac, it doesn't stand a chance at toppling WoW.
CBG

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:51 PM »
it's not about toppling WoW at this point, it's about surviving the first few months to get a solid install base.

edit: forgot the "not"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:46:29 PM by Kranz Fafka »

ManaByte

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »
In order to do that you need to be in Alpha/Beta for about a year; and EA will never, ever, ever, ever, ever put up the money to do that. WoW really launched in March of 2004 when closed beta started. By the time November rolled around the game was polished enough to survive anything.

With a big company like EA, as soon as "beta" hits they clock starts ticking as to when they can start collecting subscription fees. They won't run the game for six-plus months for free.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
In other news, Champions Online is fun. I'M GOING TO BE A GODDAMN POWER RANGER.

Champions is dying too. It's like DDO for Turbine, a practice for LOTR Online. All of Champions resources were stripped for Star Trek.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »
I'd love it if there were a good Star Wars game to play with friends. Unfortunately, the story genre doesn't fit with the current MMO gameplay models of grinding and mob raids. In any singleplayer game, they can craft a story arc around Campbellian mythic hero arc.

In a singleplayer game, you can be Luke. In an MMO, you are Luke's tailor.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »
Champions is dying too

I was going to say this will die faster than Aion, which at least has a decent Asian following
itm

Scurvy Stan

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 03:06:39 AM »
They should make a game where you just get free amazing gear for logging on. That would pull WoW fans over. OMG I HAD TO JOUST ON A HORSE FOR LIKE 3 MINUTES BEFORE MY LOOT PINATA WHACKING COULD COMMENCE! I HATE THIS SHIT GAME!!!
^_^

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 03:21:18 AM »
If I had an mmo, I'd start a campaign where you have to find golden tickets irl throughout the U.S.A. (hidden by the ad campaign team) and make it so you have to deliver them to 7-11 clerks, who would give you a voucher for gold.  Then, in the game, you redeem the code and buy stuff for your avatar like some gamer apparel, a new mouse, a new keyboard, ram upgrades, pizza, etc.  There isn't much to do in the game but sit in a chair and play WoW.  You redeem more codes for gold while you watch your avatar sit in his room and progressively get fatter as he plays more WoW.  If you try to leave your house in the game, werewolves pretty much eat you alive. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:23:31 AM by Kranz Fafka »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
lol, none. The only thing that will replace WoW is Blizzard's next MMO. You might as well ask what RTS is gonna bump Starcraft in Korea
hi5

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
they might as well stop calling the genre MMO and just wall it WOW  :lol
UNF

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
lol, none. The only thing that will replace WoW is Blizzard's next MMO. You might as well ask what RTS is gonna bump Starcraft in Korea

I doubt even a new Blizzard MMO will replace WoW. It'll be like Everquest 2, where more people are playing the original than there are playing the sequel.
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
regarding the next expansion iirc, blizzard has said that they were never considering a WoW2, it was always thought that they'd just continually evolve what they have. How far this could be taken I have no idea, but it already seems to be taken successfully farther than I would've imagined.

I don't think Blizzard's next MMO will just be a simple iteration on the Everquest->WoW thing, but something different.

___

OptimoPeach

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
regarding the next expansion iirc, blizzard has said that they were never considering a WoW2, it was always thought that they'd just continually evolve what they have. How far this could be taken I have no idea, but it already seems to be taken successfully farther than I would've imagined.

I don't think Blizzard's next MMO will just be a simple iteration on the Everquest->WoW thing, but something different.

They said ages ago that the MMO they're working on now is going to be a new IP, and apparently it does away with the fantasy setting
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:21:09 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »
I'm inclined to agree considering the trajectory WoW followed when I was playing, but I heard they did a good job of bringing back the hardcore element to PvE (as hardcore as raiding can be, anyway ::)) with heroic Ulduar and TotC. I quit just before Ulduar hit
hi5

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
Interesting. Many people from my server have jumped to Aion and not come back yet. And many folks have asked about Aion. Like, casual WoW players. They're in for a rude awakening when they try out Aion

OptimoPeach

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
the only downfall atm being that guilds have progressed so far in raiding that you cant just join up, and nobody is running the lower tier raids.
Yeah, but that's sorta the way it is with any MMO; get aboard early or you'll be left behind in the endgame forever. Obviously the expansions are attempts at tabula rasa, but most of the players worth a shit have been playing since the beginning and stick together. I actually think that the addition of the 10man or 25man option mitigates that some, because every so often a decent player with 10 man gear in a shitbag guild can jump ship when there happens to be an opening higher up on the ladder, but if you're on a low pop server with not as many middle-tier players then I guess that doesn't help much either.

This kinda shit is why I always gravitated towards PvP, because it's a lot easier to jump back into the fray after a 2-3 month break
hi5

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »
I wonder how the guild acheivement system will affect this (I honestly don't know if will work for or against players that wanna get more serious but not *that* serious)
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 03:37:29 AM »
In a singleplayer game, you can be Luke. In an MMO, you are Luke's tailor.
All right if you call Luke's tailor then I'll be Like's mailman. With all these quests in MMOs you're always delivering something to someone. Might as well make a profession out of it.

Luke's blue-milk milkman. Have to stay true to canon. ::)

If I had an mmo, I'd start a campaign where you have to find golden tickets irl throughout the U.S.A. (hidden by the ad campaign team) and make it so you have to deliver them to 7-11 clerks, who would give you a voucher for gold.  Then, in the game, you redeem the code and buy stuff for your avatar like some gamer apparel, a new mouse, a new keyboard, ram upgrades, pizza, etc.  There isn't much to do in the game but sit in a chair and play WoW.  You redeem more codes for gold while you watch your avatar sit in his room and progressively get fatter as he plays more WoW.  If you try to leave your house in the game, werewolves pretty much eat you alive. 

Someone call the .//hack guys, I think we've found their post-ironic sequel.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 04:30:32 AM »
The achievement thing is a curse for players that are starting out raiding, you need to show your EPIC achievement to get into some basic shit because people are noobs with clue to whats really needed to do something.

Same goes for gear score. They're both deceptive indicators for the most part, considering how easy it is to be carried through content. That being said, if I need to pug a healer for Koralon, I'm not taking someone without the achievement unless they have some similar achievements or good gear.

WoW is basically dead until you get to Northrend content, at least on my medium sized server. I leveled my main while many other people were doing end game lv60 content and had no problem finding groups. There was definitely a sense of community and I still know many of the folks I leveled with. It's an entirely different world now that I'm leveling my alt. Initially I thought finding groups for TBC content would be easy, but I only found three or four groups total as I leveled lv60-68.

It sounds like Cataclysm is going to inject some life into the earlier level content (adding new races and giving old world content a makeover). Right now raiding is rather irrelevant until 80, and folks can skip stuff like Naxx and just get similar/better gear from the ToC instance. Thus creating new generations of people who don't know not to stand in the god damn fire

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 06:50:54 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/warcraft_sequel_lets_gamers_play
QED

ManaByte

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
http://www.massively.com/2009/11/03/free-realms-to-introduce-new-job-pets-player-housing-and-more

Players have asked to try out all of the jobs, and we listened. So as of early November, free player characters that are newly created will be able to play any job (Ninja, Chef, Postman, Kart Driver, Demo Derby Driver, Brawler, Miner, Soccer Star, Archer, Wizard, Medic, Blacksmith, Warrior) in Free Realms up to level five for free. When level four is completed, the job becomes Members Only.

:duh :duh :duh :duh :duh :duh
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
It's still free to play though...
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »

Up to level 5. That's a trial, which ALL MMOs have (and WoW lets you go beyond level 5 I think, not sure though).
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »

Up to level 5. That's a trial, which ALL MMOs have (and WoW lets you go beyond level 5 I think, not sure though).

It only applied to new players. Old players actually get MORE content now, since they can play the premium jobs up to level 5.

Plus, no one even cares about Free Realms anymore. We all played it months ago and it quickly ran its course.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »
Unless they let their subscriptions lapse apparently.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
Archer, Wizard, Medic, and Warrior were Members only.

The rest weren't.

They're changing the game from Free Realms to Free Trial Realms.

CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
Just go ahead and lock this thread. Nobody cares about Free Realms anymore.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:19 PM »
http://playervsdeveloper.blogspot.com/2009/11/level-5-paywall-comes-to-free-realms.html

Starting in "early November", all classes (including previously subscription-only classes) will be free to try, but all classes (including currently free-to-play classes) will be capped for non-subscribers at level 5.

On the other hand, Free Realms is now all but officially a subscription game with a free trial, rather than a free to play game with an item shop and optional subscription. Perhaps it is more intuitive, but it's also a pretty major change of philosophy.

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=1961738&postcount=564

Mythic laid off 80 people today, which is about 40% of the company and responsible for 90% of the content. According to a friend of mine who left before this happened, they're putting Warhammer into "maintenance mode."

This is why MMOs and EA do not mix. Anyone who thinks KOTOR will last is kidding themselves. This is the fourth MMO that EA has shut down.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:56:27 PM by the lyte edge™ »
CBG

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
we forced mana to put all his shitty iphone news into a single thread; can we do the same for all the news for shitty mmos that no one around here plays?
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
Yes, Positive Touch, you beat me to it.

Put this kind of shit in this new MMO thread.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:01:30 PM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Re: Official MMO News And Information Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 04:43:27 PM »
aion will do just fine killing itself.

and if Mass Effect/Dragon Age are of any indication, Bioware seriously has no clue how to develop proper item budgets and flavorful/interesting itemization. huge red flag for their SW MMO.
hex

ManaByte

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
Another red flag is that Lucasarts wants a million subs. They won't get that.
CBG

pilonv1

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
they might for month one, but it will halve for the next three months
itm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »

Pretty much. When does it come out btw?

I wonder when the WoW 3.3 patch is coming out as well

ManaByte

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »

Month one aren't subscriptions; they're box sales. People don't actually subscribe until the second month. Look at Aion, as they numbers have cratered as soon as people had to start paying.
CBG

pilonv1

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
thats true, they'll get 1million sales quite easily i think. but then they'll get less than half subcribe for a month and then that will halve a 1-2months later.
itm

ManaByte

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »
And then EA will shut it down into "maintenance mode" a year later.

Star Trek Online is the one MMO upcoming that stands a chance of hitting the 300-400k subscribers that LOTRO and EVE enjoy right now, simply due to the IP and that its being made by a MMO company with experience in the genre; despite Cryptic failing at content creation.

Right now LOTRO and EVE are the kings of non-WoW MMOs with about 300-400k subscribers. EQ2 comes in right after those.

You cannot target the WoW fanbase with your MMO. You need to target about 400k subs max and hope you reach that. If you demand 11 million like EA does, you're game is doomed. If BioWare didn't have Dragon Age and Mass Effect to fall back on, SW:TOR would kill them just like WAR killed Mythic.
CBG

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 01:19:15 AM »
I read that Conan is trying to lure all their old players back by offering them 2 free weeks.

Also, Ubisoft filed a trademark for a single player Shadowbane game. Weird.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77866548

ManaByte

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 02:03:59 AM »
I take back what I said about DDO Unlimited. It's actually not bad and you can play for free and not miss out on anything. By doing quests you earn Favor which translate into Turbine Points for the store. With enough grinding you can buy everything without spending any money.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
:rofl EQ2 gets a Panda race as NPCs/Quest Givers. :rofl

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Old school Erudites are back too :)
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
I think that's their point. WoW doesn't have the Pandaren in-game outside of a non-Combat microtransaction pet. SOE is shoving it in Blizzard's face that they put Pandas in their game when WoW can't because of China.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
Dude, they are. Do you even know what you're talking about? If they were just copying WoW they would do a story where a killer dragon ripped apart the game world for their next expansion.

Except, that was the story in EQ2 five years ago.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »
Maybe because this expansion adds Odus, which includes Stonebrunt Mountains. In EQ1 (which came out 10 years ago if you didn't know) is where the Pandas were found:

CBG

ManaByte

CBG

pilonv1

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
someone working on alganon needs to learn how to align words in text boxes.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55:13 PM »
Manabyte, how do you have time to play more than one MMO? I was of the impression that they're really time consuming.

ManaByte

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »
Star Trek Online will have ship bridges in for launch:

They were originally not going to have any interiors at launch, so this is a change.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Yea, when is Champions Online shutting down and how many times has Ivan Sulic caused them to slam their heads into their keyboards.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Magna Carta: The MMORPG
CBG