Author Topic: Official MMO News And Information Thread of Etoilet Jacking Off Over Shitty GW2  (Read 171477 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: Official MMO News And Information Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
was it ever? I was following it a while back and it all seemed instanced.  I don't think it had a fee attached to it.
Guild Wars is buy once, no fee though, right?

Um he wasn't talking about Guild Wars.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2010, 06:19:08 PM »
DCUO monthly sub is $14.99. There goes the Sony fans hopes of a free PS3 MMO.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2010, 12:43:44 AM »
EXTREMELY limited closed beta for Old Republic happens this weekend from Friday to Sunday. Only about 200 people in it and they can only play Sith Warrior or Inquisitor.
CBG

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Old Republic could be demi approved

itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
DCUO monthly sub is $14.99. There goes the Sony fans hopes of a free PS3 MMO.
Isn't Free Realms due to show up on PS3 or something?

ManaByte

« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
FreeRealms isn't free anymore, even on the PC.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:59 AM »
FreeRealms isn't free anymore, even on the PC.
Wait, what? Really?

pilonv1

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
I think it's free for like 5 levels, then you have to pay for everything.

Cash shops are the new rage.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »
What is a cash shop? I don't play MMOs because I have a pretty compulsive personality, and am already short on time most days.

pilonv1

« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Having a "free" game but there's a store for buying items/quests to make the game easier/more efficient.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
Ah, thanks. "A shop where you buy cash" was as close as I was getting to making any sense of that, and it didn't.

ManaByte

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
Space combat in The Old Republic confirmed to be a rail shooter.

Bioware FAILS.
CBG

pilonv1

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
itm

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
"cash shops" are usually referred to as RMT (real-money transactions)

but I prefer "free to play, pay to win"
乱学者

pilonv1

« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »
Space combat hotspots will be unlocked as players progress through the game, and while they'll initially be solo instances only, eventually BioWare hopes to implement PvP and team combat in the future.

INSTANCED again
itm

etiolate

« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
We keep hearing other MMO developers espousing the "holy trinity" of DPS/ heal/tank with such reverence, as if this is the most entertaining combat they have ever played. Frankly, we don't like sitting around spamming "looking for healer" to global chat. That feels an awful lot like preparing to have fun instead of having fun.

:bow :bow Guild Wars devs

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

Been saying that forever.

Also, Ranger class preview: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-ranger.html

ManaByte

« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »
Space combat hotspots will be unlocked as players progress through the game, and while they'll initially be solo instances only, eventually BioWare hopes to implement PvP and team combat in the future.

INSTANCED again

Yet Bioware is getting a pass for not doing something that's the highligh of every other scifi MMO on the market.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 02:09:31 AM »
Seeing as how FFXIV started out as a graphics engine upgrade for FfXI, yup.
CBG

pilonv1

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 02:35:55 AM »

INSTANCED again

Yet Bioware is getting a pass for not doing something that's the highligh of every other scifi MMO on the market.

BUBUBUBUBUB Bioware said 95% of the game is not instanced.

Funny how all the interesting features we're finding out about are instanced.
itm

ManaByte

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2010, 02:56:51 AM »
A rail shooter isn't interesting. It's distinguished mentally-challenged.

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
The space combat was the best thing about SWG, but you're probably too young to have been playing games when that was out. It was done by the ex-Wing Commander team that was orphaned when Origin shut down.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »
That's not what people in beta are saying. But who cares. People will flock to it because it's a Bioware game and once their free month is up they'll leave and they'll have to merge servers.

And space combat in SWG never changed at all. It's still the same.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:21 PM »
The future of MMOs is going to be Guild Wars 2 and a bunch of WoW variants.  And then WoW regurgitating its own self. Why nobody else tries something truly different, I do not know. Turbine has had some success copying WoW with a major license, but that doesn't always work.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
I'll look into it. I had some fun with Guild Wars for a few days, then lost interest.

Right now I'm almost completely burnt out of WoW. Trying to get back into the game, but basically my comeback revolves around:

-sign in
-ride around Dalaran
-see none of my friends are online
-check trade channel, just a bunch of guilds advertising
-someone whispers "what's your gearscore?"
-sign out

etiolate

« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2010, 11:22:10 PM »
nobody plays WoW right now, at least not any of the regulars I knew

well I started playing alts and BGing as twinks when I got stuck at home sick

but I'm already bored again

Oh! Speaking of that, I got asked what my gearscore was in Sunken Temple. Yes, at level 50. lol

etiolate

« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »

pilonv1

« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2010, 11:39:29 PM »
I don't know how anyone enjoys WoW these days. It's not even an MMO anymore, it's just a dungeon finding client
itm

etiolate

« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »
Looks like combat will be more action heavy:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253417&postcount=190

Dodge rolling confirmed? GW2 is crazy ambitious, but it has been in development for an extremely long time and has yet to even hit beta. Nobody outside of ANet has played it, so there remains questions as to how much of their dreams they have reached and how the gameplay changes work out. Visually, they've made it look like an action RPG/adventure game. Dodges, class combos, counters and such. Will it play like that or still feel like a bunch of dice rolls? The animations are impressive.

My big concern right now is there being no confirmation of a Mesmer class, how the changes mess with the first game's PVP balance, and how the removal of strick tank, dps, heal classes changes how unique each class feels. You don't want to be stuck in the same roles, but you don't want the classes to start to feel very similar in playstyle either.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:15:05 AM by etiolate »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2010, 12:38:20 AM »
That video is amazing. Definitely hits on many of the reasons why WoW feels stale. Loved the point about having to "save" a village that's simply seems to be occupied by a few mobs, and afterwards nothing changes in the environment. Phasing has fixed some of this in regards to storyline points, but simple quests usually don't feature phasing.

ManaByte

« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2010, 03:43:10 AM »
http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2010/08/space-combat-details.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theoldrepublic2+%28The+Old+Republic%29

Thanks for killing space combat, Bioware killed TOR before release. The forums are in revolt with them locking threads complaining about it and people are being banned.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
...wow. I could understand quests being on-rails until you reach a certain level/experience, but EVERYTHING on rails is distinguished mentally-challenged

Himu

« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
just when i was considering getting back into wow
IYKYK

archie4208

« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »
Guild Wars 2 looks hot hot hot.

I'll look into it. I had some fun with Guild Wars for a few days, then lost interest.

Right now I'm almost completely burnt out of WoW. Trying to get back into the game, but basically my comeback revolves around:

-sign in
-ride around Dalaran
-see none of my friends are online
-check trade channel, just a bunch of guilds advertising
-someone whispers "what's your gearscore?"
-sign out

That sounds exactly like my last days of EQ.

ManaByte

« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
GW2 is STILL not a MMO. There's a central persistent area like GW1's towns and all that cool shit the trailer shows is just instanced like the original.

They just made the GW1 towns larger.

That's why there's no monthly fee.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
...wow. I could understand quests being on-rails until you reach a certain level/experience, but EVERYTHING on rails is distinguished mentally-challenged

And the sad thing is that Bioware fans are sucking Bioware's dick over it and saying things like "That's ok, we don't need space in STAR Wars." Fucking shit.
CBG

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
not liking the old republic space thing...

XDF

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
Maybe if they just promised it for a future expansion and this is make-do for now.
___

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
Maybe if they just promised it for a future expansion and this is make-do for now.

This would likely quiet alot of the naysayers' fears.
XDF

Dickie Dee

« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »

:wtf

(actually this doesn't really bother me, but I can see people having a kneejerk reaction and going apeshit over something like this - etiolate, you seem to be following the game, are you following the community too?)
___

ManaByte

« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »

You don't really hype a "make-do" with a huge PC Gamer cover.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:10:05 AM by ManaByte »
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2010, 02:48:13 AM »
The lack of a persistent world shocked me initially when I tried Guild Wars. Everyone would be in town doing dumb shit, then I'd go out this enormous door and be alone; at the time I didn't know the game was instanced. While I like the fact that it personalizes the game for each individual, it sucks that you can't randomly run in to folks. I used to have a blast farming and randomly seeing friends or people I've been playing with for years in WoW - or random pvp skirmishes. Those experiences personalize an experience as well.

etiolate

« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:wtf

(actually this doesn't really bother me, but I can see people having a kneejerk reaction and going apeshit over something like this - etiolate, you seem to be following the game, are you following the community too?)

Over the Asura race? I haven't been following the community since I retired. People seemed generally positive about the new races added in EotN.

Here is a Guild Wars 2 rundown:

** Skill slots expanded to 10 slots
** Every class can heal, there are race specific skills which take up a slot and weapon skills which can take up slots, along with the traditional class specific skills.
** You do not just "die", but become wounded and can still do certain attacks when wounded. If you kill someone while wounded you "rally" and come back to health. Your teammates can assist you back to health as well.
** No Healer class.
** Tank, DPS, Healer changed to Control, DPS, Support. The differences being vague so far, but based on what control and support meant in GW1, these distinctions are more skill based than class based. Control means hamstrings, slows, knockdowns, interrupts. THat is, control means physical control and placement. No "hate" or "threat" tanking, but physically controlling others. While support means buffing and helping. This is like a Paragons buffs, a necro's blood buffs or a spirit that helps.
** Dodge rolls and more action based combat. How you move through the area impacts what happens. For example, the Elemental spell Phoenix sends out a fiery phoenix that follows your movements.
** Guns and class specific weapons.
** New Races to play as(5 total)
** 80 Level Cap with level progression evening out and flatlining at around 1-3 hours per level.
** Persistent world, full MMO style. Some instanced things remain in the way of Missions and Dungeons or perhaps moreso instanced zones where anyone can join. In the first game, once you left town you were left with whoever you brought and saw nobody else. Now when you leave town anyone can leave town as well and you will run into other players. I am guessing there will still be multiple servers, but you can switch them from a dropbox like they have now.
** Instead of a bunch of quests from NPCs, realtime events will happen, presenting scenarios for the players to choose to approach or not. An often used example is a traveling salesman moving a supply caravan that gets attacked. You will hear the salesman yell for help, should you choose to assist him you will have to fight off waves of attackers. If another player is in the area and decides to help, the amount of attackers will increase and you both will get experience without needing to form a party. The scenario and difficulty works on a sliding scale according to the amount of players. If you fail, the village will lose supplies and will later on ask you to help them with this problem. If you do succeed, perhaps the gang that attacked puts out a bounty on your head and a new scenario comes about. Events have branching paths that change according to what you do.
** Updated GW1 engine with Havok physics and other features
** Jeremy Soule doing music
** Rumored Eight Professions/classes. Ranger, Warrior and Ele confirmed so far.
** Lots of Voice Acting(might be cringe worthy). Towns will feature local chitter chatter and sound effects. NPCs will yell for help, etc.
** Some deal about personalizing the story, but I haven't read as much about that. There are factions that you can choose from that will change what missions and such you go on, depending on who you ally with. Probably similar to what they did in Factions.
** All XP in instant. Finish a quest, get the XP once you finish it. No turning it in.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
I like just about everything on that list, especially

** Instead of a bunch of quests from NPCs, realtime events will happen, presenting scenarios for the players to choose to approach or not. An often used example is a traveling salesman moving a supply caravan that gets attacked. You will hear the salesman yell for help, should you choose to assist him you will have to fight off waves of attackers. If another player is in the area and decides to help, the amount of attackers will increase and you both will get experience without needing to form a party. The scenario and difficulty works on a sliding scale according to the amount of players. If you fail, the village will lose supplies and will later on ask you to help them with this problem. If you do succeed, perhaps the gang that attacked puts out a bounty on your head and a new scenario comes about. Events have branching paths that change according to what you do.

Their take on "tanks" is interesting as well. I enjoy threat and controlling a battle by holding aggro, but the GW2 system sounds far more involving. Often in WoW raids, especially ICC, I find myself standing i place attacking a boss. The ICC variations of this revolve around

-tank/off tank switching due to some dot/damage increase
-tank on boss, off tank kiting something
-both tanks dealing with mobs while healers and/or dps deal with boss

That type of set up and be interesting, but for the most part it feels pretty damn stale in ICC; I actually liked many Ulduar fights that used similar mechanics.

Controlling a boss could be more engaging. Instead of staying in one place, or moving the boss from one area to another due to changes in the environment, you'd be moving around constantly and doing thangs, something sorely lacking in WoW tanking. One of the most exciting bosses to fight imo is Gluth in Naxx, as an OT (25 man). Kiting the mobs, slowing them, intercepting healers, etc...the possibilities are really endless if you're a warrior tanking that fight. You literally control the fight.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
Sounds like a system they should've used for SWTOR - at least from the one video I saw it just looked like the same old Tank/DPS/Heals. This system would've fit the universe so much better, especially the lack of a healer class.
___

archie4208

« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
Everquest 2 is going F2P next week.  I'll probably download it and give it a whirl since I played a ton of EQ1 back in the day.

ManaByte

« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »
Everquest 2 is going F2P next week.  I'll probably download it and give it a whirl since I played a ton of EQ1 back in the day.

It's a separate game from normal EQ2. Same content, but with a cash shop.
CBG

ManaByte

CBG

archie4208

« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
GW2 looks hot.
[youtube=560,345]vXgTFsrNseE[/youtube]

etiolate

« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
Some impressions of g dub deux from IGN

Then there was a small string of biography questions. I was given a few choices as to what my strongest personality aspect was. I chose "ferocity." Out of three options regarding my upbringing as a street rat, a commoner or a court noble, I chose a commoner. Then I was asked what, of three options, was my greatest regret. The first two were boring things like avenging my sister's murder or something. I didn't even really pay attention to them, because the third option completely overshadowed them. My character's greatest regret is that he never had the opportunity to perform in the circus. This could only play out in the most awesome of ways, although I never got the chance to see ramifications of that particular choice.

From there, my character entered the world. I found myself standing before a collection of buildings, and immediately an NPC ran up to me to inform me that the village was under attack from centaurs, and that I needed to rally survivors and tell them to head to the town's inn. With that complete, I was told to head to the local fortress -- currently overrun by the half-beasts -- and take back what was ours. Other players were present during the demo, and I could see them running towards the fortress too. It was there that we all coalesced and began wiping out waves of attacking centaurs. Each kill netted me, and all the other players involved, experience and loot, despite me never having invited any of the other players to a group. We were in the same world, working as separate entities for a common goal, and all being rewarded equally

Wandering through the town, I soon came across a swirling portal, indicating I was about to enter an instanced area. On the other side was a homey little area. In the local tavern I met what could potentially be a love interest, and what was most definitely a rival. Words were traded, and all hell broke loose, with my rival and his posse wrecking the bar and its patrons. I took action and disabled the rabble-rousers with fiery justice.

On the real-world side of the monitor, another was looking over my shoulder and asked how I started all of that. One of the developers informed us that, because I had chosen to play as a commoner, I had that bar-fight scenario. If I had chosen to play as a noble, I would have had to help some sissy-man with a horse or something, and the game's story, from the get-go, would be different.

The farmland surrounding Divinity's Reach is full of dynamic events. As you first walk down to the farms, you may have someone run over to you, begging you to help slay an invading Broodmother. In the opposite direction, you can help a farmer save his watermelons from a pack of ravenous rabbits. Participating (and completing) these events have consequences. In the instance of the rabbits, you can now buy and eat the watermelons for a passive stat-buff, while the death of the Broodmother means the fisherman can now go back to work in the river. Some of these events lead into others, which can become a pretty long chain. You can stop whenever you want, of course, and other people can join in whenever they please. It was surprising how often some sort of event was within reach simply while running through the world.

Some explanation of where instanced events happen and real world events happen, and what the personal stories will be like.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »
Any word on raiding/dungeons, or the typical raid set up (bosses, quests, etc)? I never got that far in GW1

etiolate

« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
No details on that. The first game had missions which were the main storyline that you played out. GW didn't have like little raids or dungeons just sitting around. Each Mission sort of a dungeon in that it was instanced and featured a correct path with some branching paths.

There has been gameplay videos with bosses.

[youtube=560,345]DnV9ESWqlOA[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]I2YeshKUb1Y[/youtube]

etiolate

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »
Actually, here is a longer video of that dragon encounter as a Warrior, but with crappy audio.

etiolate

« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
As nice as GW2 looks, I and other fans have reservations about some of the gameplay changes. It has been revealed that the original game's energy system(which worked just great) is being replaced by traditional large energy pools and energy potions. Potions are a real step backwards in design. Furthermore, the elite skills are now uberskills with large cooldowns. This is in direct opposition of the action style of GW2 and the faster(relative to MMO tradition) feel of the first Guild Wars.

I'm also worried the reduction of skill variety and weapon specific skills will start making the classes all start to play alike.

GW1 had a card combat sort of style, but instead of cards there were just tons of skills. A lot of these skills had synergy with other skills, even across classes. This gave the game real depth, longevity and PVP that kicked ass.

People are worried its a bunch of skills with cooldowns and then spamming one or two no cooldown attacks. That's archaic MMO design. A change to that style would be pandering to WoW fans.

etiolate

« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2010, 02:59:44 AM »
Wow. I found this thread when looking for GW2 impressions from Gamescon.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=189367

A 74 page thread because GW2 won a little gameshow award. I think the Bioware fans are losing their sanity after the space combat news.

ManaByte

« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »
FFXIV open beta set to begin "in early September" - Massively

Yeah open beta is a mistake for them. This game is a huge disappointment. If SE would actually listen to the beta testers, and I don't know, update the game to 2010 standards, it would be okay. As it stands, the only people who will be interested in this game, are the people who played FFXI. And even then, it's missing a lot of the well frankly put, quirky charm that game had.

I guess if the camera and UI were not such a mess the game would be a bit better. But it is still a MMO in the mould of punishing the player in order for a tiny amount of advancement. Which to me, frankly just puts me off a game. Make a game fun, make the story enthralling. You will keep me around a lot longer then making me play 2 months grinding out simple quests to level and only being able to do it once every 48 hours.

I Love SE games, but FFIV is sadly not a game I will enjoy. I think if SE really wants to develop a MMO for more then just the Japanese market they have a whole lot of work to do.

Sucks, doesn't it?

I can't say that I've been more disappointed with a game than I have FFXIV. They paid no attention to things that worked well in other MMOs. I'm sure the diehard FF lovers will stick with it but other than graphics, it offers nothing over FFXI.

Yea I cant say I had high hopes for the game, it sounded interesting and fun. But unless it pulls a complete 180 there is no hope for this one

The controls are pretty bad. As it stands, there are pretty much no hotkeys at all. You need to go into your main menu every time you want to perform any action (including opening chests. I mean, COME ON, why cant you just click on it to open it?! No, you have to go to your main menu and click on "examine". distinguished mentally-challenged). I'm not typically a "controller guy", especially not for PC games, but I actually used one for this because there are so few hotkeys in the game, and the mouse is almost completely useless that there's really no point not to use the controller. It's like they designed the game for controller use, then they said to themselves "hmm, don't want the people who play with a mouse and keyboard to have an advantage over controller users, so we'll just limit everything they can do to the amount of actions available to be made with a controller".

And the targeting is atrocious. I died several times because I tried to target something a foot directly in front of me, and it either kept just targetting myself over and over, or some other player like 200 feet behind me. Just bah, the game is a mess.

I tried to like this game, I really did. Without going into too many details all I will say is that it is the most ass backwards game I have ever played. They intentionally give ambiguous information so you constantly make mistakes that cannot be fixed, or take hours and hours to fix and figure out, and they don't even attempt to make the game user friendly in any way at all. I'm not saying I want my hand held the whole time, but there's no starting area, no tutorials, nothing. They will kick out of of guilds you just paid tons of money for, for no reason at all, and the beta has tons of bugged quests that don't even work, yet they say "you will not be able to report bug errors in this phase of the beta testing". What's the point then? God. I really wanted this game to be good, but as it stands it's a complete mess. They had no communication at all to their fanbase through the entire process of making the game, then they just throw it out there and don't let you give any feedback. They are trying to do something different, but they have absolutely no idea how to do it. There are sooooo many things added just to waste your time, like waiting 10 hours IN GAME before you can do any more side quests, what the hell is that? That's just blatantly making you waste time so you have to play more to get anything done and so they can charge you for additional months of playing. I just don't agree with that. I definitely will not be playing this game.

I don't know why everyone's complaining about the UI. Maybe it's because I play with a controller, but it sems great to me... aside from the slightly annoying factor of switching between active/passive modes. I could live with that, though.

What I can't live with is the leveling system. Two levels - physical and weapon. You're expected to level multiple weapon skills to get access to different abilities. Yet physical level goes up much faster than weapon level. And your physical stats get truncated (or something, noticed my HP was lowered anyway) when using a lower level weapon.

Not to mention, unlike ffxi, it's currently impossible to be both a good mage and a good melee on the same character because of stat assignments (you only have the ability to undo the last level's assignments).

Another major turnoff is exp gain is limited per session. The longer you play on one job/with one weapon, the less exp you gain on that weapon. Some of us are only interested in one or two jobs... especially considering there are currently only two mage jobs...

Finally, the levequest timer. I'd rather have them like they were in the initial stages of alpha: unlimited but not really any better exp wise than killing random monsters. At least it gives you something structured to go after rather than doing your 8 levequests then grinding out levels for the next two days, checking the search party window every so often, and never seeing anyone recruiting.

It just feels like this game was designed by people who have been locked in a cupboard for the last 10 years. I am not saying they should steal Warcrafts UI but good gawd, its like they have learnt absolutely nothing about accessibility since they coded FF XI.

The UI is honestly an abomination against game design, its that bad. Even taking into account the limited beta and many promises that things will be much better before release (deja vu anyone?), this game is really not ready for release.

The worst thing is, I know they will produce fantastic story missions along the way, the game will have some great areas to explore, eventually the combat will be tweaked and be rather fun. Yet if I have to bang my head against a wall of poor UI design and unnecessary timesinks then I'm not wasting my money. Pre-order cancelled? Yup.

Still, the FF die-hards are happy. All those "idiots" who play WoW will be kept away from their game because of the "hardcore" UI and gamplay *rolls eyes*
CBG

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
sounds great, now launch it opposite Cataclysm!
乱学者

ManaByte

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2010, 06:50:07 PM »
sounds great, now launch it opposite Cataclysm!

It's like you're reading Square-Enix's mind!
CBG

pilonv1

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
It just feels like this game was designed by people who have been locked in a cupboard for the last 10 years.

Japan development in a nutshell
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »
[youtube=560,345]zdne_rHrJjo[/youtube]
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »
[youtube=560,345]zdne_rHrJjo[/youtube]

Posted on the 17th and it's still distinguished mentally-challenged.
CBG