Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780811 times)

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Here!)
« Reply #15480 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »
I don't understand, what happened to wasting your life'

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Here!)
« Reply #15481 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »
If Shake brings it down, it's because he wasn't banned immediately after registering.

Evilbore is still around. Banning shake is only one issue, the other issue is being bad at operating a website and making shitty decisions that can affect the community.

GAF's still around too.

It all seems like it's just a ton of drama e-peening from both sides, like some game of chicken.  I had my fill of drama shit so I'm staying out of it over there.  Wish Don played FF12i again. :(

None of this silly "drama" is affecting the gaming side. Or the Off Topic side. It's all in this one thread.
fat

OptimoPeach

« Reply #15482 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »
If Shake brings it down, it's because he wasn't banned immediately after registering.

Evilbore is still around. Banning shake is only one issue, the other issue is being bad at operating a website and making shitty decisions that can affect the community.

GAF's still around too.

It all seems like it's just a ton of drama e-peening from both sides, like some game of chicken.  I had my fill of drama shit so I'm staying out of it over there.  Wish Don played FF12i again. :(
Do a new Super Metroid run so I have someone here to compete with for motivation. Amazon says my new SNES controller arrives in less than a week :hyper

edit: lulz I thought this was the random thread over on the gaming side. Was wondering why you all were talking about WYL
hi5

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #15483 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
Yeah the other topics are fine, and I don't read the RB one (dunno how I have 9 posts in it, thought it was 0).  I just hope stuff gets figured out.

OP: I got a horrible 1:24 100% or so a couple weeks ago since I missed an item and had to go back.  You can beat that easy.

Beezy

« Reply #15484 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
For the kid and/or Will Smith haters:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

:patel

E-DuB

« Reply #15485 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
Well, I think pointing WYL here is hilarious. Good job Dave.
:thumbsup
:lol

Co-sign

OptimoPeach

« Reply #15486 on: September 08, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »
Yeah the other topics are fine, and I don't read the RB one (dunno how I have 9 posts in it, thought it was 0).  I just hope stuff gets figured out.

OP: I got a horrible 1:24 100% or so a couple weeks ago since I missed an item and had to go back.  You can beat that easy.
Any% is hard enough for me. If I could shave even a minute off of mine (36) in a single segment, I would be so happy that I could drop this game forever
hi5

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15487 on: September 08, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
That beat is nice... but god damn that chorus is shit. Ruins the song
fat

Beezy

« Reply #15488 on: September 08, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
Why don't we ever hear about his oldest kid.

My guess? He's distinguished mentally-challenged.
He's in college. He plays football.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15489 on: September 08, 2010, 10:55:28 PM »
wtf? they are donating to that neckbeard? why cant you guys donate to me? i want a fucking psp.
fat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15490 on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »
They bought a second domain. Is the site really worth that?

You can be distinguished mentally-challenged and play football. Isn't that the plot of Radio?

:lol :lol  :lol :lol :lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15491 on: September 08, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
They bought a second domain. Is the site really worth that?

You can be distinguished mentally-challenged and play football. Isn't that the plot of Radio?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #15492 on: September 08, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

USA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15493 on: September 08, 2010, 11:10:58 PM »
who is that?
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #15494 on: September 08, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »
That should be the banner for here. Just without the "neccessarily" part.
USA

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15495 on: September 08, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
Anyone know a good place to download or watch The Room? Without torrents

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15496 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
Why would you watch that? Why not watch a real movie like Boyz in Da Hood
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15497 on: September 08, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »
apparently giant bomb/whiskey media is gonna start a premium service for $49 a year or $4.95 a month

free users only get the first half of their podcast, second half goes up a week later

Free
Access our suite of premium Web Sites
Limited profile abilities

Monthly - 4.95
HD Video
Premium profile features and content
HTML 5 based mobile site
Exclusive Friday live show

Yearly - 49.95
Everything in the monthly
No Ads
A custom T-shirt
10$ in savings

it's probably a bad idea to suddenly start charging for access to things you used to give away, but it's pretty funny watching people flip the hell out over it

OUR podcast will always be free, btw  :smug
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:24:33 PM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15498 on: September 08, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Awesome

Giant Bombcast thing is a really silly move but I don't understand people claiming the entire site will go under.
I would never subscribe to any premium subscription feature at any website but then who cares. If the site continues to pump out good free content I will continue to visit. If they don't, I won't. Really simple. But that GAF entitled "we are important people who decide how the game industry should be" attitude that Evilore actively cultivates over there is the most annoying shit ever. Fucking forum posters think they run shit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:27:10 PM by Stoney Mason »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15499 on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:07 PM »
when are you going ot let me be on borecast
USA

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15500 on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »
Funnily enough, I was thinking about listening to their Podcast while playing LOTRO and now I read this. I think I'll stick with the Borecast then.
:9

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15501 on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:58 PM »

what's the temperature in hell
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15502 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »
i'm sorry, methodis

we'll let you be on the very next episode
sup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15503 on: September 08, 2010, 11:29:18 PM »
I think a subscription model where Drinky gives an annual handjob could work for the borecast*

*I still wouldn't listen.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15504 on: September 08, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »
ok thanks i got a great segment for you titled "MethoDISS". I diss everythin, its grate youll get 50 viewers.
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15505 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
i'll pm you when we get ready to record borecast 51
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15506 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
Its gonna be weird when you present Methodis under his real name, Dukwan, surrounded by Doug's, Kevin's and Robert's.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:32:48 PM by BlueTsunami »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15507 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
That really sucks since I depend on them to brighten up my Wednesday and Thursday night commute back from work (over an hour). I guess if there was ever a video game podcast I'd subscribe to, that'd be it, but ehhhhhhh.

Yeah it sucks. I love their podcast and their content but there is no way I'd pay for it. Just strikes me as wrong. But more power to them if they can get other suckers people to do it. Their revenue must really be falling short for them to have to to do this.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #15508 on: September 08, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »
their gonna start making people pay to get the fuckin bombcast on time? that's distinguished mentally-challenged.
nat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15509 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
i'll pm you when we get ready to record borecast 51

Well, I think we can safely guess that one of the changes is that it will no longer be called the Borecast. :lol

Can't wait for GAFCast Episode 1 with the first of a weekly interview session with gaming industry leader, Evilore! :bow2
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15510 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:45 PM »
podcasts are shit, dont pay for this crap.

i'd pay for ryan davis shirtless tho. $50 easily

* sorry eel
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15511 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:07 PM »
site:isohunt.com "Giant Bomb"

:-\

Having to pirate a podcast just sounds wrong

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15512 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »
Let's be honest. There will be a bootleg version of the bombcast up on torrents or download sites the moment it hits the air. This is like copy protection on games. This isn't going to stop anybody from listening to the podcast if they want for free. All it means is that you will have to go to another site to download it instead of giantbomb.com.

I kinda want that shirt, however and I wonder why they don't just get in the business of merchandise. I'd feel pretty okay about buying an Oscar Mike shirt for $20 around the holidays.

I assume because it isn't a steady and dependable stream of money every month but I agree. I'm much more likely to buy Giant Bomb merchandise than I would a subscription to a website. But that merchandise stuff requires an investment of up front money on their part where as a subscription service doesn't. Like I said their advertising revenue situation must be pretty dire for this to be their solution.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:42:44 PM by Stoney Mason »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15513 on: September 08, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »

No fucking way they let you on the illustrious borecast before me, a long time listener and mediocre poster.

the difference is i kno how to speak english and im black.

can my segments intro music be "pretty in pink"?
USA

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #15514 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:03 PM »
you never ever ever restrict previously free content when creating a paid service. everyone knows that.
nat

Himu

« Reply #15515 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
you never ever ever restrict previously free content when creating a paid service. everyone knows that.

then how come the gaming industry does this all the time and is able to get away with it?
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #15516 on: September 08, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
i can't think of many examples beyond probably microsoft.
nat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15517 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
Oh Linkzg. Don't fall into that entitled gaf attitude thing. It's fine not to pay for the service for a number of reasons. But dissing GAF ain't one of them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23226701&postcount=454

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15518 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
When has Microsoft given anything away for FREE?

They gave me plenty for free... :whistle:
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15519 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »

then how come the gaming industry does this all the time and is able to get away with it?

they eased into it over the years

bombcast guys are in a tough spot, probably takes a lot of bucks to run that site

they are unfortunately in an advertising-drives-the-content business, and if the ads aren't bringing home the bacon then charging for the content most certainly isn't going to either

i think the writing is on the wall if you've already been backed into the corner of taking such measures
sup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #15520 on: September 09, 2010, 12:05:21 AM »
Oh Linkzg. Don't fall into that entitled gaf attitude thing. It's fine not to pay for the service for a number of reasons. But dissing GAF ain't one of them.

BUBUBUBUBU I SUPPORTED THEM BY DOWNLOADING THEIR FREE PODCAST, THEY CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!! :(
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15521 on: September 09, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »

they eased into it over the years

bombcast guys are in a tough spot, probably takes a lot of bucks to run that site

they are unfortunately in an advertising-drives-the-content business, and if the ads aren't bringing home the bacon then charging for the content most certainly isn't going to either

i think the writing is on the wall if you've already been backed into the corner of taking such measures

Nailed it.

Ryan Davis tweeted this like an hour ago

We realize that some folks aren't going to cotton to the Bombcast changes. We're doing what we feel is necessary to keep this gig going.

I doubt these dudes are rolling into work in their limo's, eating caviar and passing the grey poupon. The economy is in the toilet. Advertising revenue probably is in the toilet. And they are probably doing whatever they can to keep things afloat. Doesn't mean I'm going to subscribe or I think its a good idea, but I doubt they are doing it to pay for hookers and blow.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:11:37 AM by Stoney Mason »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15522 on: September 09, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
maybe us hould get a job there mr "i play xbox with famous people" mister
USA

cool breeze

« Reply #15523 on: September 09, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »

yeah, it's meant to be a joke post to fan the flames and make that intern guy embarrassed, but I'm not very good at making joke posts.  As far as serious response go, what giantbomb is doing doesn't really affect me much.  I don't listen to the giantbombcast, get involved with the community, visit any of those other sites, and it doesn't sound like they're changing anything as far as the video content is concerned.  That is the main reason I visit that site.  The way they have the membership setup sounds like it is a whiskeymedia wide thing.  The $50 a year you pay is for everyone, not just giantbomb; I don't even think the t-shirt you get is a giantbomb branded one.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #15524 on: September 09, 2010, 12:12:33 AM »
Can't wait to see Ryan on ChubbyBuddies dot com
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15525 on: September 09, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
yeah, that didn't sound like the normal you, i was wondering what was up :lol
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15526 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »
yeah, that didn't sound like the normal you, i was wondering what was up :lol

Same. I said to myself Linkzg is pretty smart so that post made me sad when I read it and thought he was truly saying it.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15527 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »
I doubt these dudes are rolling into work in their limo's, eating caviar and passing the grey poupon. The economy is in the toilet. Advertising revenue probably is in the toilet. And they are probably doing whatever they can to keep things afloat. Doesn't mean I'm going to subscribe or I think its a good idea, but I doubt they are doing it to pay for hookers and blow.  

yep, that's the reason john davison has been doing so much site-hopping

that guy has an uncanny knack for knowing when it's time to get out

he probably has the best business sense of any game journalist out there
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15528 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »

I kinda agree with Linkzg's (joke?) comment, GAF or no GAF, when upstarting a new service like this you shouldn't piss on your listeners/fans, regardless of their affiliations. Non-gaffers are also pissed and wish to voice out their opinion, but having a community manager who's "not necessarily in the business to make [insert fan group] feel good" wouldn't persuade me, I tell you.

good point, all these dudes need to learn when to insert their internet filters

of course, it is hilarious to me, but funny isn't necessarily good for business
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15529 on: September 09, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
maybe us hould get a job there mr "i play xbox with famous people" mister

seriously, do you type with your feet
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15530 on: September 09, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
I kinda agree with Linkzg, GAF or no GAF, when upstarting a new service like this you shouldn't piss on your listeners/fans, regardless of their affiliations. Non-gaffers are also pissed and wish to voice out their complains, but having a community manager who's "not necessarily in the business to make [insert fan group] feel good" wouldn't persuade me, I tell you.

I've talked about this too much for somebody who doesn't really about it this whole thing other than to take the piss out of GAF. But here's my take. That dude is right. They aren't running GiantBomb to appease GAF people. They are running a business. And I'd much rather have the unpleasant truth presented to me rather than ass kissing and lies. Like I said if somebody doesn't want to pay for that subscription service I totally get it. Don't. I certainly wouldn't. But when GAF plays the "I'm offended" card. I either don't believe them, or think they are incredibly naive. We should view all these things as services that we either get some use from or not. But they are not our best friends and they are not run out of the love of a particular audience. There is always a bottom line and if having that brought to people's attention bums them out then so be it.

That being said I honestly don't care. I mainly just dislike a certain GAF attitude which this gave me a chance to rant about.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15531 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:25 AM »
the most irritating thing about GAF is when they do that "GAF>>Internet>>GAF" thing. its like uh no.
USA

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #15532 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:32 AM »

yeah, it's meant to be a joke post to fan the flames and make that intern guy embarrassed, but I'm not very good at making joke posts.  As far as serious response go, what giantbomb is doing doesn't really affect me much.  I don't listen to the giantbombcast, get involved with the community, visit any of those other sites, and it doesn't sound like they're changing anything as far as the video content is concerned.  That is the main reason I visit that site.  The way they have the membership setup sounds like it is a whiskeymedia wide thing.  The $50 a year you pay is for everyone, not just giantbomb; I don't even think the t-shirt you get is a giantbomb branded one.

You should have added that you'd rather pay that $50 to GAF instead because it's the best gaming site on the web.
©@©™

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #15533 on: September 09, 2010, 12:25:21 AM »
so i will be getting bombcast eps a week later and the news contents already expired? damn

they should have made up something extra for the members rather than cutting a podcast in half IMO but its their gig.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:28:17 AM by Purple Filth »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15534 on: September 09, 2010, 12:26:21 AM »
well, you don't have to asskiss or sugarcoat, but if you are aware that your target audience is composed of people who fall all to pieces at the slightest bit of bad news and express their discontent with overblown threats and vaudevillian dramatics nearly 100% of their waking lives, you could probably hold off on statements like that

i mean, that's probably a couple dozen XXXL shirts left in the warehouse right there
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15535 on: September 09, 2010, 12:28:28 AM »

yep, that's the reason john davison has been doing so much site-hopping

that guy has an uncanny knack for knowing when it's time to get out

he probably has the best business sense of any game journalist out there

Once Davison left 1up yours I stopped listening to that podcast sadly. Weekend Confirmed is okay I suppose but Garnett has nobody to balance him out now. He runs the show essentially as a version of here is what neogaf or the shacknews forum people are saying which is really annoying. Honestly there are almost no gaming podcasts outside of the bombcast that I find worth listening to. And I mainly listen to the bombcast as a comedy podcast rather than as a gaming podcast per se.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:31:32 AM by Stoney Mason »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15536 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »
i wonder how much money davison really got for what they play

i remember hearing him say on some podcast that it afforded him some leeway to do whatever he wanted for a while
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:35:10 AM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15537 on: September 09, 2010, 12:40:01 AM »
secondly, they're basically arguing with a bunch of people who don't give a fuck if they get evicted or go bankrupt as long as they keep pumping out the ribticklin' catch phrases every tuesday

those people weren't ever going to pay for anything anyway, why waste your time getting all huffed-up and indignant over what they say to you
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15538 on: September 09, 2010, 12:46:03 AM »
It was kinda of a shitty thing for Matt to say but I hate that attitued people get where because they post on a popular forum, they somehow have more rights than everyone else. How dare you do something I don't want you to do! Don't you know I post at GAMEFAQS.com!?

Mainly it annoys me because its akin to that I'm boycotting X because Y person at Z company said something I didn't like! Who gives a fuck. Grow up.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #15539 on: September 09, 2010, 12:46:21 AM »
I can't believe I missed all the WYL drama :lol fucking joke of a forum.
Drunk