Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1778147 times)

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418761

hay guys, really stop posting smilies ok?

They removed the native smilies, but posting off-site emoticons was kosher. Now they're banning anyone who post one? WOW!

I nominate this as GAF's biggest problem. All those who agree say aye.

Edit: I'm glad I didn't get banned when I first created that gif, everyone who used it afterwards got banned. :lol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:55:56 PM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

Himu

Are you going to post it on gaf?
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I like Stump.  At least he attempts to elevate the discussion at GAF.  He has a ridiculous memory and his posting style reminds me of The Black Falcon, who mostly posts huge wall of text on retro gaming and older PC games.  

A Black Falcon's biggest problem is that he's stuck in the mid-90's and will never admit that any modern game can come anywhere close to those heady PC days.

How's that a problem? How's that different from the Shenmue crowd blinded by nostalgia?

BF games of choice like Wizardry, Might & Magic or Ultima are quality RPGs. Really better than some of todays titles.

It's not that he thinks those mid-to-late 90's PC games are some of the best ever, heck, even I can agree to that much, it's that he's got such rose-tinted glasses that nothing modern gaming does can ever be good enough. Everything's too dumbed-down for him, everything's too consolized. He eulogizes PC gaming every time some PC game comes out that isn't packed with stats, isometric combat, and NPCs with thousands of lines of dialog buried within branching dialog trees.

The problem is that he has so much nostalgia for "ye olden days" that he can't enjoy what new games have to offer.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:38:15 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Himu

I keep thinking of the black stallion when you guys are discussing this dude
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418761

hay guys, really stop posting smilies ok?

hooooooooooly shit

banning for posting smiliies? why won't those people just realize that the staff DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU, THEY JUST WANT A PAYCHECK?

Evilore admitted as such when he closed my negro-gaf thread and mixed every knock off into one thread where he admitted he does shit just because, that he's impulsive, and that he now would prefer gaf be a news aggregate than a community.

For further money saving policies, I expect Evilore next will devolve GAF into a twatter-like site where you have a limit of 150-200 characters per post. 
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Pretty sure he was banned for emote spam, not for using emotes

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Other posters in that thread were banned too.

Why not just remove [IMG] code if you want to promote discussion?
itm

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Let's be real. He was banned for mocking the powers that be.

Shuri

GAF has been going into weird directions lately.. The community board decision, no more emoticons, the strange merges of threads..

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
GAF has been going into weird directions lately.. The community board decision, no more emoticons, the strange merges of threads..

The board is a for-profit venture.  EviLore is just rearranging things to make sure that the board remains as profitable as possible.  That means he does a lot of tinkering as well.

Although I think people who just reply with " :lol " maybe should get a ban.  People who just reply with :lol or some shitty meme were the primary cause of the downfall of GAF.
🍆🍆

Himu

Why won't he just make it a pay site like SA?

The board is a for-profit venture.  EviLore is just rearranging things to make sure that the board remains as profitable as possible.  That means he does a lot of tinkering as well.

Although I think people who just reply with " :lol " maybe should get a ban.  People who just reply with :lol or some shitty meme were the primary cause of the downfall of GAF.

Let's be real. There's nothing wrong with making a :lol reply. Sometimes that's all that needs to be said.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man

cool breeze

gaf has actually made some decent choices lately, like new threads for new news, and if it isn't that important, the bumped old thread gets the titled edited.  the use of smilies were overused and obnoxious.  gaf is like kindergarten and sometimes the kids need to be settled down even if it means throwing marbles at them at full force.

and I think the moderation is more lenient now.  there is a thread about the food network lady that is all over the place.  threads like that used to die in a second.

Himu

So the overuse of smilies demands taking them away? Okay.That won't make discussion better.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
That thread is still alive cuz dragona isn't a mod anymore.
Drunk

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Himu

what
IYKYK

Himu

lol

[youtube=560,345]JOO8-Jp-xsg[/youtube]

WHY CAN'T I HAVE THE ENTIRE SGT PEPPER'S ALBUM ANIMATED LIKE THIS

fuck yellow submarine
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Let's be real. He was banned for mocking the powers that be.

An unfair accusation. We don't know that to be true. Even when emotes were on GAF, you could be banned for spamming them.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

:lol :lol :lol :lol

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
I think many of you are in full 'hate gaf just cus' mode.  If I'm not mistaken this board takes issue with the way a large percentage of gaffers post, and often that included making insubstantial posts consisting of :lol.  That's not facilitating discussion and on many forums (like somethingawful) its a ban on sight.  Ffs, its not like typing lol into a regular post is that hard, unless you have a single digit gwam.
sad

Oblivion

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418556

Ugh.

Sigh. He should probably go back to making unfunny 10 MB Star Trek gifs.

EmCeeGrammar

And Stumpakapow is most certainly not a Nintard.  Just because someone plays Wii games in their rotation doesn't make them a fanboy.  If anything he's the biggest debbie downer for us real wiitards.
sad

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
That's horrible.  :lol
dog

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
gaf has actually made some decent choices lately, like new threads for new news, and if it isn't that important, the bumped old thread gets the titled edited.  the use of smilies were overused and obnoxious.  gaf is like kindergarten and sometimes the kids need to be settled down even if it means throwing marbles at them at full force.

and I think the moderation is more lenient now.  there is a thread about the food network lady that is all over the place.  threads like that used to die in a second.

You can thank Nirolak for that, he's a really good moderator, and so far that's all he used his new status for: actual forum moderating. He always finds the time to edit OPs, thread titles to reflect updates, split important news from mega threads, and his posts are still as humble as ever. It's like GAF has finally appointed someone who understands that moderation is a responsibility not a privilege.

And excuse me but I think it's idiotic to approve of banning anyone posting ANY emoticon on sight. Unless everyone posting puns, memes or any image macro gets banned too "for not contributing to ligitimate discussion" that would still be retardedly hypocritical, as they are just as "detrimental."

But you know what, I don't wish for that to happen either, because unlike Evilore, I don't wish to suck the joy out of the ever shitting life of the board and reduce it to "serious business" state.

Just do your fucking job, ban the abusers and leave everyone else with ability to appreciate a good joke with something other than "lol" and "haha", they're using the same freaking space. If :lol annoys you and your delicate virgin eyes, adblock it! That's what I did with :D a long time ago.
Unzip

drew

• sy
[youtube=560,345]BIR01KLTrHg&[/youtube]

:rofl

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418556

Ugh.

GameFAQs :rofl

Two years from now, that manchild will become a mod, mark my words lol.
Unzip

Himu

Low content posts are circumstantial.

see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3352585&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post382644341 and

it's purely possible to be silly with a low content post. the only thing i'm against isn't trying. That said, sometimes a simple emote can describe words better but for the most part, banning the use of single emotes and encouraging more thorough discussion instead of banning emotes outright is a far more realistic approach. That way everyone wins.
IYKYK

Himu

The result? Whereas at gaf,  75% of the thread would be pics of their favorite female or black or whatever characters, at SA, there's actual discussion.

Here's a gaming thread for comparison:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381225&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:25:09 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
🍆🍆

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
He's also been one hell of a good moderator since he got modded.  The guy always writes reasons for his bans and tends to even just give a warning for shit just about any other mod would instantly ban for.

To be completely honest, all the latest additions to moderation team (with the exception of m0dus, who rarely shows up and Kagari, who has cybered her way in) are all good people: stump, charlequin, Nirolak, and Y2kev are good posters and moderators. Stump above all is actually decent enough to explain the reasoning behind the bans when people whine instead of banning the whiners, and has previously allowed a line of communication over PMs with people who wished to defend their banned friends.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:15:51 AM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Pope staking out new ground for Catholic so-called creator -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40945242/ns/technology_and_science-science/from/toolbar
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
He's also been one hell of a good moderator since he got modded.  The guy always writes reasons for his bans and tends to even just give a warning for shit just about any other mod would instantly ban for.

To be completely honest, all the latest additions to moderation team (with the exception of m0dus, who rarely shows up and Kagari, who has cybered her way in) are all good people: stump, charlequin, Nirolak, and Y2kev are good posters and moderators. Stump above all is actually decent enough to explain the reasoning behind the bans when people whine instead of banning the whiners, and has previously allowed a line of communication over PMs with people who wished to defend their banned friends.

How do you know Kagari cybered her way in?
🍆🍆

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Someone in the know said that she got in solely because she was fancied by an existing mod who pimped her to the others. The affection is apparently mutual, but long distance, so... :lol

That is awesome!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:36:16 AM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

cool breeze

You can thank Nirolak for that, he's a really good moderator, and so far that's all he used his new status for: actual forum moderating. He always finds the time to edit OPs, thread titles to reflect updates, split important news from mega threads, and his posts are still as humble as ever. It's like GAF has finally appointed someone who understands that moderation is a responsibility not a privilege.

And excuse me but I think it's idiotic to approve of banning anyone posting ANY emoticon on sight. Unless everyone posting puns, memes or any image macro gets banned too "for not contributing to ligitimate discussion" that would still be retardedly hypocritical, as they are just as "detrimental."

But you know what, I don't wish for that to happen either, because unlike Evilore, I don't wish to suck the joy out of the ever shitting life of the board and reduce it to "serious business" state.

Just do your fucking job, ban the abusers and leave everyone else with ability to appreciate a good joke with something other than "lol" and "haha", they're using the same freaking space. If :lol annoys you and your delicate virgin eyes, adblock it! That's what I did with :D a long time ago.

To be clear, I'm not saying it was right to get rid of smilies, but I understand.  There is no reason to ban people for it, though.

If there is any problem to it, it is as you say, inconsistent considering large gifs and image memes are allowed...for now  :bowser
but really they need to find a way to make an image just a link inside a quotation box.

and yeah, the new mods are good.  I guess some of the older ones are gone too.

Himu

Stump is good people.
IYKYK

Chinner

the problem is with the moderating system. at the moment, its basically "dont post x and we wont ban you" and you get banned either once the mods are bored of you or you post x. then when you do get banned, they're always long durations that just breeds contempt; it doesn't actually adjust behavior.

what we should do is look at a good forum and copy what they do right. i think we can all agree that SA is a good forum. now if you look at the moderating system on SA, theyre much less lenient than GAF and for that you get banned more often, but if you do get banned, you only get banned/probated for a couple of days. this just gives you a break and makes it so people actually remember that a certain behavior will result in a ban.

obviously the moderation vary slightly from board to board on sa, but generally the golden rule is 'don't post unless you actually think you're adding something'. its a good rule because it lets people express their emotions/opinions, but it gets rid of general shit posting (memes, single post emoticons, puns, i agree with this post, shit like that). thats the problem with gaf, at the moment they're treating the symptoms instead of actually addressing the cause. moderators on gaf need to come out and say 'if you make shit posts with little or no content we're going to ban you for a couple of days'.

well, i hope you enjoyed my post about the internet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:36:00 PM by Chinner »

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
I can't see the little gaf logo next to my tab on firefox, did they ban that too?
Drunk

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I think the real reason why moderation is getting moderated is that some mods have been demodded like Vennt, sp0rsk, or Dragona.  I didn't mind Vennt or Dragona's non-mod related posts, but they would often get whipped up into a fervor and banned people left and right for rather insignificant things.  They tended to see posts in black and white.  If you triggered their pet peeve du jour, you were banned for months.  I'm not saying all of their bans weren't deserved, but quite a few quality members did get the shaft.

Why won't he just make it a pay site like SA?

Let's be real. There's nothing wrong with making a :lol reply. Sometimes that's all that needs to be said.

I still believe it was a big downfall of GAF.  All it did was enable threadshitters who would spam a dozen threads with airplane.jpg to get quick laughs.  That or another groan inducing Count Dookakke post.  Or another reposting of one of Mama Robotnik's lovely 10 MB .gifs.

I'm not going to pretend that I haven't just posted :lol before.  I like the SA style of moderation where, like what Chinner said, the golden rule is that you just only post if you have something to contribute.  Although I think that would compromise with EviLore's vision of being a community or news aggregate board, which is probably why he isn't going this direction.
🍆🍆

Himu

Agreed.

I actually like the sunset meme because it's kept fresh.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Himu

rofl
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Or maybe...
©@©™

EmCeeGrammar

Yeah, kagari sticks out like a sore thumb out of the legitimately great new mods.  I've always respected Charlequin and Stump, and Nirolak is a cool guy with his head on straight.  It was nice to see rational posters put in those positions. 

AmiRox still fucking baffles. He must be close personal friends with somebody in the administration.  There really isn't a bigger concern troll on the entire board.
sad

Himu

got this ad on my facebook

what
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Facebook knows you can't resist the cheeseburgers. Don't let them ride you bareback without that vaccine, bro.
©@©™

EmCeeGrammar

I think facebook seriously has access to cookies. It throws some suspiciously relevant ads at me.  You been looking at the 'ghey' himuro?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:10:03 PM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

Himu

I think facebook seriously has access to cookies. It throws some suspiciously relevant ads at me.  You been looking at the 'ghey' himuro?

Only cheebs' photos on facebook ???
IYKYK

EmCeeGrammar

I'm just saying that facebook shows some oddly specific advertisments to me.  Almost as if it knows what corners of the internet I dwell in.
sad

Corporal

Yah, Stump in particular always stuck me as a good choice for mod. He loves Apple a teensy bit too much, but that's a bias I can live with, especially on gaf, and considering how he keeps it in check 99% of the time.

Anyways, random C64 music:
Such a happy tune.
!list

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
got this ad on my facebook

(Image removed from quote.)

what

I'd take that AIDs with a side of fries if that's the dude who's serving.
Unzip