Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 856344 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Avengers gender and race changes for everyone!
« Reply #2280 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »
Messiah Complex is followed by Messiah War, then Second Coming.  It's been a while since I read through all these but Second Coming isn't as good as the two Messiah storyline, IIRC.

Bishop also just returned in the new X-Force book.
ど助平

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #2281 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
i just read the heat and as always the reaction to the controversy is worse than the controversy

Remender telling people to drown themselves in hobo piss if they don't like it doesn't help things.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #2282 on: April 03, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
Walt Simonson + Indestructible Hulk = YOU BUY
CBG

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2283 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
http://comicsbeat.com/rip-carmine-infantino/

In a day that already saw the passing of beloved movie critic Roger Ebert and Archie mainstay George Gladir, news has now come that comics legend Carmine Infantino has passed away. He was 87 and had been in poor health for a while.

One of the most influential comics artists of the Silver Age, Infantino not only drew “Flash of Two Worlds” in Flash #123 that kicked off Earth Two and ushered in the modern age of comics. Sleek and dynamic, his artwork defined the DC look for decades. He later served in a more controversial role as DC’s editor in chief, before returning to art on Star Wars, Spider-Woman and many more titles.

Tonya

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2284 on: April 05, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »
Mod Wonder Woman

;)
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2285 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
So, what are some good Wonder Woman stories?

I always liked the character when used in a Justice League setting, but never cared enough about her rogue gallery or history to really get into the comics. For whatever reason she always seemed like she only got famous and stayed so because of her being a woman and a feminist icon to me, I'm sure I'm wrong and would like to be proven wrong.

rucka's run is pretty good
the new 52 run has gotten some good marks but i haven't read it

also the mod run is pretty grand though it's not really wonder woman
Tonya

ManaByte

« Reply #2286 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »
Another big DC comic spoiled by mainstream media coverage. This time it's Batman & Red Robin #19:

CBG

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2287 on: April 05, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
Another big DC comic spoiled by mainstream media coverage. This time it's Batman & Red Robin #19:

wut
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2288 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »

wut

DC: "Continuity is all jacked-up, let's reboot this bitch!"

*Two Years Later*

DC: "What other Elseworld characters from several decades ago can we add to the canon?"
©@©™

« Reply #2289 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »

The way the two characters are drawn is totally different.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2290 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »
HUH WHAT HUH WHY HOW HUH?!  ??? ??? ???

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

That doesn't make sense...especially when there's that other female character that seems to be the likely candidate for Robin.  (Forgot the name)

Weird.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2291 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:57 AM »
"Batman & Red Robin" also sounds like a hip-hop duo.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2292 on: April 05, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
"It's a New 52 version, but we're staying close to Frank Miller's visual template and personality of Carrie Kelley. She's a college kid who's got spunk and speaks her mind. This is not an alternate-earth Robin, this is simply a girl named Carrie Kelley who we learn knew Damian which in turn weaves her into the fabric of the DC Universe for the first time in 25 years," Tomasi said of Carrie's place in the moder Batman mythos. "It's all real. It's all in continuity. It's all part of the Batman universe in the here and now. Carrie Kelley has found her way into The New 52 and she's here to stay - in what capacity is anybody's guess - except mine of course."
As I mentioned above, after all the guest stars in Batman and Robin, the title will theoretically revert back to it's original name and that means we'll need an actual Robin to appear in the book. Snyder has stated that he 'never intended for Harper Row' to become Robin, which is not the same as saying she won't don a variation of the familiar red, green and gold costume when the time comes. Add in a character like Carrie Kelley and the picture becomes much less clear but is this a smoke screen or will Kelley really fight side-by-side with Batman in The New 52 just as she did in The Dark Knight Returns? We should find out by September at the very latest.

Looks like a 40 year old's head on a teenager's body.   :lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:03:18 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2293 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
New Superior Spider-Man costume.  Looks like he's wearing heels and looks like a rip-off of the clone Spider-Man costume.

ど助平

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2294 on: April 05, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
so it's a character with the same name as an alternate world robin but nothing in common beyond gender and name?

jesus, dc

wtf
Tonya

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2295 on: April 05, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
because we don't have enough Robins as it is
WDW

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2296 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:01 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

I see, it's just an Office Space crossover
[close]
WDW

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2297 on: April 05, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »
yeah wtf, even manabyte spoilered that shit

this thread continually amazes with the collective desire to make fun of out of context promo shit for comics none of us have read yet rather than making fun of the decades of ridiculous comics we already have (although Joe does sterling work there of course)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2298 on: April 05, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »
also, Carrie Kelley - always and forever the best Robin
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2299 on: April 06, 2013, 05:16:37 PM »
You would love Dick.  :teehee
©@©™

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2300 on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
that picture is hurting the fuck out of my brain   :lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2301 on: April 10, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »
well we figured apple wouldn't like all the dicks, so we didn't even try.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/apple-bans-saga-12.html
Update April 12, 2013: The Saga #12 saga continues today with a strange twist. According to comiXology CEO David Steinberger, Apple never banned the issue - comiXology actually never submitted it to the company for approval at all. In a statement on the comiXology Blog, Steinberger had this to say:

"To our customers -

In the last 24 hours there has been a lot of chatter about Apple banning Saga #12 from our Comics App on the Apple App Store due to depictions of gay sex. This is simply not true, and we’d like to clarify.

As a partner of Apple, we have an obligation to respect its policies for apps and the books offered in apps.  Based on our understanding of those policies, we believed that Saga #12 could not be made available in our app, and so we did not release it today.

We did not interpret the content in question as involving any particular sexual orientation, and frankly that would have been a completely irrelevant consideration under any circumstance.

Given this, it should be clear that Apple did not reject Saga #12.

After hearing from Apple this morning, we can say that our interpretation of its policies was mistaken. You’ll be glad to know that Saga #12 will be available on our App Store app soon.

We apologize to Saga creator Brian K. Vaughn and Image Comics for any confusion this may have caused.

All the best,

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology"
Tonya

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2302 on: April 10, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
finished My Friend Dahmer yesterday.   Pretty great stuff!   Makes you happy to be able to feel and process basic emotions (well, better than Dahmer anyway)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2303 on: April 10, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
finished My Friend Dahmer yesterday.   Pretty great stuff!   Makes you happy to be able to feel and process basic emotions (well, better than Dahmer anyway)

yeah, found this really compelling and bizarre. Really highlighted the failure of everyone around him to see what was coming too
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2304 on: April 10, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

Update April 12, 2013: The Saga #12 saga continues today with a strange twist. According to comiXology CEO David Steinberger, Apple never banned the issue - comiXology actually never submitted it to the company for approval at all. In a statement on the comiXology Blog, Steinberger had this to say:

"To our customers -

In the last 24 hours there has been a lot of chatter about Apple banning Saga #12 from our Comics App on the Apple App Store due to depictions of gay sex. This is simply not true, and we’d like to clarify.

As a partner of Apple, we have an obligation to respect its policies for apps and the books offered in apps.  Based on our understanding of those policies, we believed that Saga #12 could not be made available in our app, and so we did not release it today.

We did not interpret the content in question as involving any particular sexual orientation, and frankly that would have been a completely irrelevant consideration under any circumstance.

After hearing from Apple this morning, we can say that our interpretation of its policies was mistaken. You’ll be glad to know that Saga #12 will be available on our App Store app soon.

We apologize to Saga creator Brian K. Vaughn and Image Comics for any confusion this may have caused.

All the best,

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology"

bizarre - i wonder if he is falling on his sword for Apple on this. If you are going to buy from comixology, you should buy it from their website anyway I think, and say a little fuck you to both Apple Tax and Apple Censorship
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #2305 on: April 10, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »

"To our customers -

All the best,

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology"

bizarre - i wonder if he is falling on his sword for Apple on this. If you are going to buy from comixology, you should buy it from their website anyway I think, and say a little fuck you to both Apple Tax and Apple Censorship

Comics are the same price through the app as on the website so there's no "Apple Tax" on them.
CBG

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2306 on: April 10, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »

"To our customers -

All the best,

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology"

Comics are the same price through the app as on the website so there's no "Apple Tax" on them.

the price is the same to consumers but the amount publishers/creators get is reduced by 30%

so, you know, make your dollar go further and all that
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2307 on: April 11, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
comixology has the first 7 issues of Gail Simone's Secret Six on sale as part of a Gender in Comics (yeah i dunno) sale

http://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?featured_id=15989
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2308 on: April 11, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
maybe they thought it was Secret Sex

like Alysia Yeoh in Simone's Batgirl #19

thank you I'll be here all week
乱学者

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2309 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
Secret Six is a good series, and I approve of it being used to promote the lesbian gender.
©@©™

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #2310 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »
I gave Ex Machina a go. Eisners etc etc.

But holy shit the art is fucking awful, I don't know what it is about it, but it's not helped by:
a) the art
b) the drawings
c) I think it's a bit like the work back in the Olsen times by the guys using camera obscura type things to capture reality in by kinda cheating.

Olden rather than Olsen lol!!
:{]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2311 on: April 11, 2013, 07:31:21 PM »
it's the fact that not only does he use photos of real humans, thus removing most opportunity for artistic exaggeration etc, he also has his photo subjects mug horribly throughout. It is very jarring

Read Starman if you want to see what his art looks like before he went too deep down that rabbit hole - i think it looks great
vjj

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #2312 on: April 11, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »
Ok

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2313 on: April 11, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »
it's Hellboy in the DCU

it's all over the place in the first trade and has been cancelled.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2314 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »
i say 'not worth it' and 'read Hellboy/BPRD'
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2315 on: April 11, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »
yeah, basically

Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2316 on: April 11, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
just read some earth 2

what the fuck happened to james robinson
sup

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2317 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
i'm guessing he is juggling a ton of editorial mandates. He can still write - his Shade maxi-series was very good. I assume he was left to his own devices on that. His JLA run was a ghastly mess otoh
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2318 on: April 12, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
grabbed Icon from the library.  Published as part of Milestones by DC in the 90s. Never read this when it was being published originally.  found it randomly at the library.  i like it for the most part

stranded alien disguised as black republican fights crime and other uh heroes of color while the sidekick deals with heady stuff (you know like abortion, nbd) makes this book way ahead of its time while also calling back to the more heavy handed "message" books of DC's 70s.

i didn't like that the book had to cram in a MEET THE OTHER COMIC HEROES NOW FIGHT THEM, but this was written 20 years ago.  I supposed we should be happy that it isn't all chromium embossed holograms on every page.

the coloring strikes me as weird and i don't really know why.  made the first several pages harder going as i tried to get used to it.  it just seemed "off."
Tonya

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #2319 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:03 AM »
Both Fatale and Hawkeye are up for Eisners this year. Are Saga and Prophet worth reading?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2320 on: April 17, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
fuck yes they are worth reading

Tonya

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2321 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »
Saga is great. Read it.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #2322 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
Cool, I hope they don't suck for the sake of my fiery Indonesian temper, and thus for my servants well being.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2323 on: April 17, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
I found some Marvel Masterworks: X-Men book at Half Price Books yesterday for $12 and apparently its some rare variant cover!   Does anyone know anything about this stuff? 

It's this one: 

This Amazon listing is basically the only info I can find about it:
http://www.amazon.com/The-X-Men-Marvel-Masterworks-Volume/dp/0785136991/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1366211218&sr=8-25&keywords=masterworks+x-men+3

I think I'll sell it and buy a normal copy...for some reason I wanna read the very early x-men comics.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #2324 on: April 18, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »
My copy of Marshall Law hardback came today, it's great apart from the forward that I've not bothered reading by Jonathan Ross.
I really wish HBO would snap this up and turn it into a series.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2325 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »
i read a favorable review of Vixen: Return of the Lion and so I grabbed it.  I enjoyed it aside from the whole "all of africa is huts in the savannah" meme.  It read like a 5 issue JLA run which just focused on Vixen as the main character rather than a legitimately solo book.  The art was good and the story was good.  If you can get the issues for $5 or so, I'd say it's worth a read if you enjoy either the JLA or Vixen.

Also Midtown Comics had a sale on Supurbia which brought it down to $8, so I grabbed it but haven't read beyond a few pages.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2326 on: April 18, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
Reminder to self - post a few pages from Daredevil by Chris Samnee. Easily some of the most striking work since Miller left.

My copy of Marshall Law hardback came today, it's great apart from the forward that I've not bothered reading by Jonathan Ross.
I really wish HBO would snap this up and turn it into a series.

I loved this as a teen but there is not a whole lot of substance there, especially in the later crossover bullshit. How on earth would this work as a HBO series?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2327 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
Samnee :bow

This book has always looked great with Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera but I think Samnee is easily up to their standards. Great color-coding here too

vjj

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2328 on: April 18, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
I just can't take Daredevil seriously after seeing this

WDW

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2329 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
he self-owns pretty hard in this one too, with the blindness

give it a shot, it's as good as a Marvel comic can be
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2330 on: April 18, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
I just can't take Daredevil seriously after seeing this

(Image removed from quote.)

That's not a computer, Daredevil, that's a cat!  :noah
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2331 on: April 19, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »
that's some good art
i need to finish my re-read of volume 2 The Bendis Years
Tonya

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #2332 on: April 19, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
Dropping in here with a question that has been bugging me.

The current Prophet comics, do they have any relation to the old Prophet comics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet_(comics) ?
brb

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2333 on: April 19, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »
to my understanding the answer is "yes, if you want it to."
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2334 on: April 19, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
i haven't read any of the old ones but it does seem to build on the characters and relationships from the old ones in some ways. Wild horses couldn't make me read the old ones though
vjj

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #2335 on: April 19, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »
I was 13 when I read them, and thought they were super cool.
brb

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2336 on: April 19, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »
Well, give the new ones a try and let us know what you think. I think they're pretty awesome but very squarely in a the Heavy Metal vein of Euro sf. It's also quite ephemeral 'cause the story is so vast and they starve you of context for the most part. I like to read it late at night while listening to something spacey/trippy on headhphones
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2337 on: April 19, 2013, 08:51:20 AM »
I doubt Prophet shifts 10,000 copies/month so it sure ain't more popular.
vjj

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2338 on: April 19, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
After reading the current Hawkeye and liking it I got the immortal iron fist, because it's supposedly the same people. but then I find out the end bit is done by different people. Is the quality in iron fist consistent? Is it actually good at all, because I kinda just assumed so without asking anyone... ?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2339 on: April 19, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »
i enjoyed the first two volumes but that's all i read of the trades
Tonya