Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 864285 times)

Tasty

Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #4140 on: December 29, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
Midnighter is originally from The Authority/Stormwatch. The former of which he was in a homosexualist relationship with another hero raising a "daughter". He was saved from the pile of discontinuity for use in Grayson though.

Ahhhhh I think I heard about that but forgot it, lol. Gotta hand it to Tim and Tom though.

52 is fucking amazing, but I think you need to have gone Grant Morrison obsession level with some of the canon to appreciate it to its max. It's the culmination of the fours (Waid/Morrison/Rucka/Johns) plus James Robinson's runs on Starman/JSA/Gotham Central/Checkmate/JLA/The Kingdom brought to a head due to Infinite Crisis to setup for Final Crisis. (And they may not have known it, but New Krypton. Also, because Morrison was involved there's all sorts of tiny setups for what eventually happens in The Multiversity.) The amazing thing is it does this with none of the major DC characters, Superman/Batman/Flash/etc. are all on the sidelines.

I forgot about The Multiversity. It probably would have made my list if I had finished it. :P

Final Crisis was poorly published and is still poorly collected, the entire thing, not just the main book events are the "final crisis" ending the main story arcs that Morrison, Rucka, and Johns had started much much earlier in other books, most of them in the Infinite Crisis tie-ins.

FC's central theme that evil wins, but it's pointless for them to win and thus end reality aka stories, so the multiverse self-reboots with its own literal deus ex machina to clear out the infection

:ohhh THAT'S what he was getting at? :lol That's not half bad but still.

is lost because it's spread all over the tie-ins and Morrison put half the plot in two other books. This also undermines R.I.P. and its own, later, conclusion.

Classic Morrison. Couldn't even step in to write Battle for the Cowl either.

What they should have done is not held back Blackest Night or have held back Final Crisis. Using the former could fix a weird plot hole in the latter and would tie together the lone arc that gets ignored because Johns had all these plans in motion for Green Lantern so they barely appear in FC. Nekron's goal and actions in Blackest Night make infinitely more sense (and would have more weight than suddenly coming out of nowhere) if he's taking part in conjunction with Darkseid, Superboy Prime and Vandal Savage/Cain's bringing about of the "final crisis" event.

Never read Blackest Night/Brightest Day but always really wanted to considering how many people get brought back from the dead, haha.

Anyway, Booster Gold spins out of 52 and is sweet. All the Batwoman stuff is pretty fun too.

Yup yup, just never read it.

No Man's Land is Batman's and arguably DC's greatest story arc. Fight me about it.

I can't really disagree, tbh. It was handled so well from top to bottom.

Tasty

« Reply #4141 on: December 29, 2016, 11:42:34 PM »
benji what are your thoughts on Identity Crisis

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:doge
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #4142 on: December 30, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
Civil War 2 was the biggest crock of shit ever. I can't believe I spent money on this garbage event.

Speaking of, Snyder might have thrown some shade at Marvel with their IvX and CWII events...

"SNYDER & CAPULLO's 2017 DC EVENT To Be 'Celebratory, Huge, & Crazy'"

I don’t want it to be grim. I don’t want it to be superheroes arguing over something. Superheroes won’t be fighting superheroes.

All over my face. :aah

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4143 on: December 30, 2016, 12:50:42 AM »
:ohhh THAT'S what he was getting at? :lol That's not half bad but still.
Morrison has for about twenty-five years toyed with the metafictional aspect of the reality in comics as stories and their integrated relationship with the readers and authors. All the way back to Animal Man. It's all over The Invisibles to an insane level. It's in Doom Patrol, it's in The Filth, Seven Soldiers is about this. The core idea behind The Black Glove and R.I.P. is that all Batman stories are true because they've been written, you can't just write them out of existing. Flex Mentallo came about entirely because he decided that old ad where the guy kicks sand on the weakling who then works out and beats up the bully is somehow comic canon. His New 52 Action Comics run is a nearly circular story which ties into both All-Star Superman and DC One Million BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS CANON even after we've rebooted the multiverse.

The Multiversity is this to the ultimate extent, especially the reveal about The Gentry. Well, maybe The Invisibles is, except that a lot of it is borderline gibberish especially after Morrison writes himself into King Mob completely.

The funny thing about Batman and Robin/Batman Incorporated is that it's the most straight forward thing he's written and it's still insane compared to literally anything Geoff Johns does.

Morrison has basically been writing one big maxi-arc his entire career even if unintentionally, but the only time he's ever been edited by someone to rein him in is on JLA and Batman. Arguably, Planetary by Warren Ellis is the same exact concept except shorter. (EDIT: Also, the Literals role in Fables.)

Never read Blackest Night/Brightest Day but always really wanted to considering how many people get brought back from the dead, haha.
Almost all of the Green Lantern stuff after Sinestro Corps War is a good idea poorly executed and Blackest Night is definitely that to where it's really uninteresting or compelling in anyway outside of the concept. Brightest Day is kinda fun because it's such an anti-event, but it's the JLI reunion/OMAC sequel series that ran alongside it that has all the exciting stuff.

Speaking of the New 52, Brightest Day and Animal Man, the Rotworld crossover was pretty crazy awesome in ways I didn't expect. I also really liked Futures End. Both did the whole "dump you into a disaster timeline and slowly but never fully explain what happened because there's shit to do" that Flashpoint did. Rotworld was by Snyder and Jeff Lemire (who does Teen Titans Earth One among other things) in Swamp Thing/Animal Man/Frankenstein.

Futures End's tie-in to Earth 2 which was the Old 52's JSA rebooted probably helped it quite a bit much like it did World's End.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:05:21 AM by benjipwns »

Tasty

« Reply #4144 on: December 30, 2016, 01:00:29 AM »
I bow to you, benji-sama. :bow

I heard mixed things about Future's End but might check it out now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4145 on: December 30, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Civil War #8- There's pretty much nothing to spoil here, since Marvel already did so by releasing all the new books that start after the event several months ago.  :lol  Also this sucked so don't waste your time with it.

Iron Man is not dead.  That's about the only surprise here.  He's put into a coma instead (didn't this already happen a few years back?). :zzz  Captain Marvel seems to feel bad about things but is praised by the President.  :zzz

The Inhuman who was getting flashes of future events "evolves" to the point that Eternity, the living representation of the universe, is like "hey bro, come join us in spaaaaaace" and he does.

We are also shown events that will occur in the future.  These are essentially ads for other books and are like covers done by different artists. :lol

-A bunch of giant monsters fighting each other in what looks like a destroyed (post-apocalyptic?) city.  This is for an upcoming event storyline.

-Inhumans Vs. X-Men.  This cross-over event is already going on.

-Spider-Man (Miles Morales) still standing over a dead Captain America (Steve Rogers) with something through his chest.  This was the vision that kept coming up in Civil War II but didn't happen.  My guess is that this is how the current storyline with the Hydra-brainwashed Cap will end.

-Ultron standing over some defeated Avengers.  The big thing here is that it shows what appears to be The Hulk (Bruce Banner), Captain America (Steve Rogers) with his round shield again, and Wolverine...in his yellow and blue costume, which Old Man Logan never wears.

HULK #1: This is the book starring Jennifer Walters, AKA She-Hulk.  While this got a bunch of promo art of a roided-up, scarred grey She-Hulk looking all pissed off (and that's the cover)...the book is nothing like this, at least not yet.  Instead it's just "another day in the life of superhero lawyer Jennifer Walters and her wacky clients."

I think the best Avengers-related book Marvel is putting out right now is Steve Rogers: Captain America.  Seeing him as essentially a villain pretending to be a hero and the reality-altered/brain-implanted fake history he goes through as a child in the 1930s is pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:36:15 AM by bork pls »
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #4146 on: December 30, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
Beezy, it's not connected to DCU(mostly) but there's a new imprint called Young Animal which features revamped/rebooted/new versions of DC/Vertigo characters. I recommend Shade the Changing Girl.
Boo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4147 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Also for Beezy, something that has been left out here are the works from Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner (and sometimes Justin Gray).  Their recent works feature female leads and are almost like self-contained little "mini universes" with these characters.

Would recommend:

Pre-New 52:

Terra

Powergirl

The Terra miniseries/TPB actually starts off with a single Supergirl issue that introduces the character, Atlee, who is a new Terra and not the one from the Teen Titans.  She meets up with Powergirl in her book, and then in the Powergirl series, Terra guest-stars as her sidekick.  They feel like one complete series together.  No need to read anything past the Aliens & Apes TPB (which was issue #12 of the series, IIRC), as the creative team then completely changed and the book went in a completely different direction/tone.  EDIT: Even better, there's a newer TPB called "Power Trip" that contains the complete run, plus has JLA Classified #1-4, which reworked PG's origin with a story from Geoff Johns and art from Amanda Conner!

New 52:

Harley Quinn

First Series:

Harley Quinn And Power Girl, Harley's Gang Of Harleys, and Harley's Little Black Book:

Second series, currently only out in singles.  TPBs releasing in 2017:

With Harley Quinn, there's a lot more material.  They did one main series already that was 30 issues, then started with another that continues on, plus there's mini-series like Harley And Her Gang Of Harleys and a Harley Quinn/Powergirl mini-series that spins out of the main book and re-introduces Vartox who was re-introduced (lol) in the pre-52 Powergirl series.   Harley has her own supporting cast of weird n' wacky characters, with some occasional appearances from her buddy Poison Ivy.  She also teams up with a geriatric Jewish cyborg named Sol, joins a roller derby deathmatch, and starts her own gang of Harley wannabes. 

The Harley Quinn in these books is almost like a different character than the one you see in Suicide Squad and the like.  Much more likeable and again, everything feels pretty much self-contained. 

Starfire

Not sure if Starfire has a second TPB yet.  Her series takes her out of the main DCU and puts her down doin' thangs in Miami.  Atlee also pops up as a supporting character!  It only lasted for 12 issues so it should only have two TPBs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:39:25 AM by bork pls »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4148 on: December 30, 2016, 09:44:33 AM »

Flashpoint (2011)
If you've never quite "gotten" the Flash, this story will probably do it for you and is one of the few examples of a "darker alternate universe" done right.

Forever Evil (2013-2014)
I seem to disagree with the mainstream on this one, but this is the (only) crossover I think is truly great in the New 52. Focusing on Lex Luthor and a group of ostensible "super villains" as they battle evil alternate-dimension versions of the Justice League, the series served as a fantastic character piece for Lex and even got me caring about fucking Captain Cold and Bizarro. In a word, masterful.

Convergence (2015)
Or rather, certain miniseries of Convergence. I've never read the full thing or the framing story (about Brainiac and the multiverse and blah blah blah.) Convergence was fun and important because it brought back pre-New 52 stories and characters for the first time since it launched, opening the door to Rebirth.

Flashpoint was a lot of fun.  It even got an animated movie version (missing a LOT of content/characters, though) and is basically "Flash acts like a selfish prick and causes the entire DCU to change", which then leads into the whole New 52 universe being created.  They also ended up using parts of this storyline as the basis for what has being going on in the CW "Arrowverse" shows, where Flash went back in time to save his mother from being killed when he was a kid, created an alternate timeline where he was powerless and living with his own parents, and then decided to go back and set shit straight, only to return and find things altered here and then, with effects spilling over into other shows.  Basically Barry is kind of an asshole.  :lol

Forever Evil has fun moments, but dragged on for too long.  Might feel different if you're reading it all in a collected edition, though.

Convergence, though?  Stay away unless you've already read the Earth 2 series and want to continue reading Earth 2 after this event.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4149 on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
I flipped through the Multiversity TPB at the book store and saw Hitler taking a dump.

10/10
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4150 on: December 30, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
All those Harley recs :kobeyuck

100% of bork's recs being busty females :dead

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4151 on: December 30, 2016, 01:32:58 PM »
Just about anything by Conner/Palmiotti is worth reading.
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #4152 on: December 30, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »

This Batman is good
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #4153 on: December 30, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
Yup.

Quote from: me
The Long Halloween (which is my favorite non-canon Batman trade.)

Beezy

« Reply #4154 on: December 30, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
Thanks guys. Getting into this shit is really hard when there's no obvious starting point or when a character has a shitload of different series.

Beezy

« Reply #4155 on: January 02, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Starting to think I should finally get a tablet and go the digital route completely, at least for older runs. I checked in store at Midtown Comics and on their website for all volumes of The New 52 Justice League. Neither has them all. I don't have the patience to hunt shit down.

I read new issues of some comics through comixology on my phone right now, but I'd rather not use such a tiny screen.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:55:13 AM by Beezy »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4156 on: January 02, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4157 on: January 02, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »
All those Harley recs :kobeyuck

100% of bork's recs being busty females :dead

I said the recent series from those two were all female-lead.  They're also all really good.   Try reading them-- they're a lot better than shit like fucking CONVERGENCE.  Their stuff stands out because so much other stuff from DC hasn't been that great as of late.

:ufup

Just about anything by Conner/Palmiotti is worth reading.

:respect
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:56:50 PM by bork pls »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4158 on: January 02, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Oh yeah, that reminds me.  Beezy, get Batman Year Zero.  Self-contained story with great writing and art.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4159 on: January 02, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Beezy, get Batman: Odyssey.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #4160 on: January 02, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
What do you all prefer, physical or digital?

Bebpo

« Reply #4161 on: January 02, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »
Read Brian K Vaughn's We Stand Guard last night.  I really like Vaughn's stuff, but this comic about a futuristic Canadian Freedom Fights vs America Imperialist Army was just ok.  The mechs were fucking awesome and between this and Vaughn's Evangelion Sentinels in his Mystique run, Vaughn's gotta be a mecha fan.  The comic was solid but it was too short and not fleshed out enough.  It's also really overly gory.  Wouldn't be enough to make a 90 minute movie about.  Works as a novella I suppose.  Very mild thumbs up.

Shuri

« Reply #4162 on: January 02, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
We Stand Guard was great, but yeah, wayyyy too short and the story kinda got eh at the end, but it's totally worth a read.

REBORN is fucking amazing so far, holy fuck I was not expecting this. This old lady dies from cancer and immediately wakes up in this METAL AS FUCK medieval/with some future tech world and finds out she could be the chosen one in a war against good and evil. It's pretty gory but feels REALLY REALLY fresh. I don't wanna spoil anything but check it out if you can.

VENOM is kinda crap. The venom symbiote finds a new host and it's an early '00 edgy animu looking ex soldier with PTSD. First issue had some potential and was hanging in that fun Punisher MAX style of atmosphere, but Issue #2 just shits the bed with the edgy animu dude physically punching the symbiote into submission. What the fuck. I enjoy collecting the variants for the badass art, too bad the actual content is heh.

ANIMOSITY - First issue was crazy great, second was eh, third was zzz and forth has me going  :doge. I just don't get where that story is going, and the pacing of the storyline is still weird. The constant flashbacks are annoying now. STOP.  I like the turtles with the twin rocket launchers tho.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:01:22 PM by Shuri »

Beezy

« Reply #4163 on: January 02, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Reborn :leon

I'll wait until the first trade is out. I'm reading Animosity also and I feel the same way. I'll give it 2 more issues to get interesting again before I drop it.

Tasty

« Reply #4164 on: January 02, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »
I read new issues of some comics through comixology on my phone right now, but I'd rather not use such a tiny screen.

Guided View is pretty good IMO. Don't mind reading on my phone.

I said the recent series from those two were all female-lead.  They're also all really good.   Try reading them-- they're a lot better than shit like fucking CONVERGENCE.  Their stuff stands out because so much other stuff from DC hasn't been that great as of late.

Didn't say anything about the quality of the books (though I don't like New 52 Harley at all), it was just funny in the context of your avatar/busty VG char fetish. :lol

What do you all prefer, physical or digital?

I'm all digital. I've spent just over $800 on Comixology, plus a couple dozen on some other services like Dark Horse (before they joined Comixology.)

Amazon's slowly soured my opinion of the service but it's still the best option for reading comics IMO. Well, I hear Marvel Unlimited is good if you're into that, but there's gaps and stuff there.

Beezy, get Batman: Odyssey.

Oh yeah. This should have made my WTF list. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #4165 on: January 02, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »
Since y'all are giving Beezy recs, I've basically gave up on SH comics for three years but I'm curious about recent Batman runs that are worth looking up. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I don't like Scott Snyder's stuff for the most part.

Batman and Robin by Tomasi. Like I said it has my favorite Two-Face story (Volume 5, "The Big Burn") aside from The Long Halloween.

Grayson is only vaguely related to the other Bat-stuff or DC 'verse in general, but it's flat-out amazing.

Batman Eternal/Batman and Robin Eternal were everything I've ever wanted from a Bat-comic. Strong writing, great team dynamics, intriguing central mysteries.

Robin: Son of Batman. Like I said it's a good characters study of Damian with themes of redemption and coming of age.

The latest Detective Comics run post-Rebirth (#934+) has been really good and reminds me of Batman Eternal. It also ships twice a month (like a lot of Rebirth titles) which I love. I'd always forget things during Snyder's run because of the month-long waits.

Post-Rebirth Batman and Nightwing have been pretty solid but I haven't read the latest issues yet.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4166 on: January 02, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
Didn't say anything about the quality of the books (though I don't like New 52 Harley at all), it was just funny in the context of your avatar/busty VG char fetish. :lol

I don't have a busty character fetish.   ???  I like dat ass.

Anyway, it's like I said- these books feel self-contained and the characters are different.  I.E., the Harley Quinn in these stories is not the same Harley Quinn that's in Suicide Squad.  I don't really care about the likes of Starfire and Harley Quinn...I just like the writing team (Amanda Conner sadly only tends to do covers nowadays).
ど助平

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #4167 on: January 02, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »
I can vouch for Bork that Power Girl is pretty good. It's humor is a lot like She-Hulk if you ever read that.
WDW

benjipwns

« Reply #4168 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
Started The Manhattan Projects from the writer of East of West. It's certainly something that exists.

I guess he also wrote Avengers and Secret Wars and some other stuff for Marvel too.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4169 on: January 03, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »
Hickman is great.

benjipwns

« Reply #4170 on: January 03, 2017, 02:44:31 AM »
EoW has a shit load of characters to where whole plotlines just disappear for good or at least many issues on end because others have moved on, TMP had a main cast of about 12 recurring characters.

Also, it suddenly turns into Saga.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4171 on: January 03, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
Hickman used way too many characters in Avengers though. Like why the fuck was Wolverine even around?

For sales.  Remember when Wolverine was in multiple X-Men and Avengers books and had two solo series?  :lol :dizzy
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4172 on: January 08, 2017, 11:12:19 PM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-is-already-teasing-its-next-big-comic-event-1790914751

Is Marvel just straight up unending crossovers that bleed into each other now?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4173 on: January 09, 2017, 07:07:33 AM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-is-already-teasing-its-next-big-comic-event-1790914751

What do you mean "now?"   :P  But I'm looking forward to this one since reality-warped-Hydra-Cap is awesome.
ど助平

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4174 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
I love knowing Marvel secrets.
nat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4175 on: January 09, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
Marvel already gave us a glimpse of things to come with Civil War II's ending:

We are also shown events that will occur in the future.  These are essentially ads for other books and are like covers done by different artists. :lol

-A bunch of giant monsters fighting each other in what looks like a destroyed (post-apocalyptic?) city.  This is for an upcoming event storyline.

-Inhumans Vs. X-Men.  This cross-over event is already going on.

-Spider-Man (Miles Morales) still standing over a dead Captain America (Steve Rogers) with something through his chest.  This was the vision that kept coming up in Civil War II but didn't happen.  My guess is that this is how the current storyline with the Hydra-brainwashed Cap will end.

-Ultron standing over some defeated Avengers.  The big thing here is that it shows what appears to be The Hulk (Bruce Banner), Captain America (Steve Rogers) with his round shield again, and Wolverine...in his yellow and blue costume, which Old Man Logan never wears.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4176 on: January 09, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Providence #11 was pretty lit. I need to reread Neonomicon to get hype for the last issue.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4177 on: January 09, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
I didn't even know that there were Warhammer comics.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4178 on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
I thought Warhammer died with the new millennium.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4179 on: January 09, 2017, 06:11:48 PM »
https://www.inverse.com/article/18042-stan-lee-marvel-dave-baker

:lol This guy -- I was just talking with my BIL about Stan Lee, and I am on the same-ish page as Baker, but I didn't know the bit about the lawsuit granting Stan appearances in any Marvel movie. I assumed it was an in-joke. I'm anti-Stan mainly because of his longstanding unwillingness to include Kirby in the credits. I'm happy he makes money when Hollywood does now, but I wish Kirby had been in on that cash cow as well.

I brought back a mess of Batman trade paperbacks, and my sister gave me the Planetary Omnibus hardcover for christmas. It weighs 2000 lbs. Looking forward to sitting down with some of those Morrison stories, and The Long Halloween.

Tasty

« Reply #4180 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »

What do you mean "now?"   :P  But I'm looking forward to this one since reality-warped-Hydra-Cap is awesome.

It feels unfair to beat on them since I'm a DC guy but it just feels exhausting, non-stop shit even before Secret Wars (which felt like it took forever.) And their stuff runs through so many books.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but DC seems superior here. They have a big event every year or so (Forever Evil, Future's End, Convergence, Rebirth), but they're their own series/books and crossovers in ongoing titles are contained to an issue or two. Related characters have crossovers (like the Bat-family) but that feels a lot more natural and less strained.

Tasty

« Reply #4181 on: January 09, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
:bow THE LONG HALLOWEEN :bow2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4182 on: January 09, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
I'm happy he makes money when Hollywood does now, but I wish Kirby had been in on that cash cow as well.

I have a recent-ish issue of Heavy Metal that features a bunch of artwork that Kirby did for the Lord of Light movie and it's really incredible, makes me supremely sad that it ended up getting cancelled.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4183 on: January 09, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
I'm happy he makes money when Hollywood does now, but I wish Kirby had been in on that cash cow as well.

I have a recent-ish issue of Heavy Metal that features a bunch of artwork that Kirby did for the Lord of Light movie and it's really incredible, makes me supremely sad that it ended up getting cancelled.

Slightly Off-Topic: Is Heavy Metal making much of a dent in the comics' headspace these days? I haven't heard anything about it since Eastman took it over a few years back.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4184 on: January 09, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »
They're still putting out the main magazine and they've got a few series going under the Heavy Metal banner, not a huge deal but they're still plugging along.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4186 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:26 PM »
Superman is getting another costume change.  Looks closer to the original, sans the outside-underwear.

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4187 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
That's his Rebirth outfit tho? :huh

I guess the boots are different? :huh

In any case it does look better (might be the artist though), and both are a HELL of a lot better than that turtleneck asshole New 52 costume.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4188 on: January 13, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »
Lighter blues, too.  looks more "spandexy" again.

It feels unfair to beat on them since I'm a DC guy but it just feels exhausting, non-stop shit even before Secret Wars (which felt like it took forever.) And their stuff runs through so many books.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but DC seems superior here. They have a big event every year or so (Forever Evil, Future's End, Convergence, Rebirth), but they're their own series/books and crossovers in ongoing titles are contained to an issue or two. Related characters have crossovers (like the Bat-family) but that feels a lot more natural and less strained.

Yes, and their events end with something happening that doesn't always feel like just a lead-in into something else.

My favorite "WTF was the point of this?" event was Age Of Ultron.  Now, you could argue that the event caused "holes in space" that led to the events of Secret Wars and all that, but really...after all that Ultron shit, what we got was...Angela popping up and joining the Guardians Of The Galaxy for a while.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #4189 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:20 AM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-book-bundle

So Humble Bundle is doing their yearly Image Comics sale.  Being that this is the first year post me actually reading all the Image Comic stuff I got from previous bundles and then buying things in various sales, I'm good on the $15 & above tier.  In the $10 and below tier though, there's a bunch of stuff I haven't read.  I'm guessing at least a few of these are worth reading?

Lazurus
Limbo
Mirror
Casanova
Morning Glories
Prophet
Revival
Strange Talent of Luther

Throwaways
Romulus
Kill of be Killed
Moonshine
Black Monday Murders
Demonic
The Fix
Black Road
Cannibal
Horizon
The Discipline
Island
The Beauty
Surgeon X
Sons of the Devil
Rockstars
She Wolf

I mean $10 for #1s of all that is a no brainer, so I'll grab it, but anything you all recommend reading in that lot?

*edit* nm, only the bolded are vol.1s, everything $5 or under is just issue #1 bleh.  Still worth it for $10?

*edit edit* actually on $15 tier there's a handful I don't have.  Birthright, Drifter, Pretty Deadly, Roche Limit, Rumble, Spread.  Probably worth another $5 for volume 1 of all those.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:26:05 AM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4190 on: January 19, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
Only read Prophet on that list (need to finish it!).  Pretty good sci-fi story that has nothing to do with any of Rob Liefeld's garbage.  Worth reading.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4191 on: January 19, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
Re: Spider-Man The Clone Conspiracy (4 of 5):

Big middle finger up to Marvel, who decided to go ahead and solicit a Scarlet Spider comic book listing and announce details on the character.  Thanks for spoiling your own storyline, idiots!  Yes, Ben Reilly is back as the Scarlet Spider, complete with awful new costume! 

:donot

They also mention that Kaine will be in the book and go into specifics on the story.  I thought maybe this would be a new clone of Ben Reilly -and I guess that's still possible- but it doesn't sound like it. 

Anyway, onto the book. 
Following recent events, we now know that the Jackal is actually Ben Reilly and that he's brought back heroes, villains, and civilians to life.  Keeps claiming that he's not a bad guy and is doing everything for the greater good.   Looked like Peter was going to team up with him (as Kaine has seen in other realities) and this would lead to a 'zombie apocalypse' of sorts, as anyone resurrected as a clone goes all zombie if they don't get their daily meds.

Peter quickly comes to his senses, but the zombie thing happens anyway.  :lol  It's almost out of character for Ben Reilly to do a 'heel turn' and do something that makes all the clones zombie-out.  We also see that Anna-Maria has caught this zombie disease by just being in contact with the clones, so it can spread.  During the story, Otto and Anna-Maria seem to have found a way to stop the virus completely and eliminate the need for pills.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ben is trying to 'kill' everyone so he can bring them all back again in a 'perfect form' or something, but he's still portrayed as an asshole since he reveals that he's going to kill Peter and then take his place. 
[close]

It still feels like this has been ruined because the description of the Scarlet Spider book is that Ben Reilly is trying to atone for what he did, Kaine is chasing him, and blah blah blah. 
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #4192 on: January 19, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »
The final page of Ultimates 2 #3 is great, it's something out of a SMT game.

[close]

nice book
Boo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4193 on: January 20, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Monsters Unleashed #1: You know what?  This ain't bad! In a popcorn-movie style way, I mean-- The storyso far is that Kid Kaiju appears to be the one summoning all these monsters to Earth for reasons still unknown...and that's it.  Nothing particularly deep or complex about the plot, but that's a refreshing change after all the Bendis stuff like Civil War II.  Just straight-out MONSTERS WRECKING SHIT and superheroes fighting them.  Looks like it may be entirely self-contained like some of the DC stories, where instead of getting event-related stories in the on-goings, there will be special issues instead.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4194 on: January 25, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
Here's what I'm reading right now, minus a few series that I'm caught up on:

dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4195 on: January 25, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
"Snotgirl?"

:confused
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4196 on: January 25, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
Mother Panic has been pretty good. Really enjoyed the first two issues.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4197 on: January 25, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-book-bundle

So Humble Bundle is doing their yearly Image Comics sale.  Being that this is the first year post me actually reading all the Image Comic stuff I got from previous bundles and then buying things in various sales, I'm good on the $15 & above tier.  In the $10 and below tier though, there's a bunch of stuff I haven't read.  I'm guessing at least a few of these are worth reading?

Lazurus
Limbo
Mirror
Casanova
Morning Glories
Prophet
Revival
Strange Talent of Luther

Throwaways
Romulus
Kill of be Killed
Moonshine
Black Monday Murders
Demonic
The Fix
Black Road
Cannibal
Horizon
The Discipline
Island
The Beauty
Surgeon X
Sons of the Devil
Rockstars
She Wolf

I mean $10 for #1s of all that is a no brainer, so I'll grab it, but anything you all recommend reading in that lot?

*edit* nm, only the bolded are vol.1s, everything $5 or under is just issue #1 bleh.  Still worth it for $10?

*edit edit* actually on $15 tier there's a handful I don't have.  Birthright, Drifter, Pretty Deadly, Roche Limit, Rumble, Spread.  Probably worth another $5 for volume 1 of all those.
I know this is late, but I do recomened Lasurus. It's action girl lead done well. The main female is written very well. Forever is never emotionless and the series is about her emerging agency. She's also pretty badass, but never over the top. She also looks the part. More Lucy Lawless than Lucy Lie. It also takes place in a corporate feudal world which is interesting.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4198 on: January 25, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
"Snotgirl?"

:confused

It's the story of a self-absorbed fashion blogger who actually has really bad allergies. The guy that did Scott Pilgrim is writing it.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4199 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »